Saturday Stuff

Posted: March 19th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | Tags: , | 7 Comments »

My new SB Nation Philly column is posted.  I wrote about Kevin Turner and the price that football players pay.  Very sad to hear how his post-football life has gone.  Really loved him.  My favorite Eagles FB of all time.  Keith Byars was listed as a FB, but let’s be honest.  He was a pass catcher and unique weapon, but not really a FB.

I watched NFL Network’s Path to the Draft talk about the Eagles.  That’s 10 minutes I’ll never get back.  Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but Brian Baldinger thinks we need to draft OT Gabe Carimi.

Carimi is my favorite OT in the draft.  Very good player and someone you can’t help but like.  I just think Baldinger is a bit obsessive with his point.  He can’t get over the fact that the Eagles benched Winston Justice in the playoff game.  To him, that signals Justice is done.  Baldy is a smart guy.  I’m not sure why he can’t acknowledge that Justice was playing with a less than great knee.  Going up against Clay Matthews when you are 100% is tough.  When you are hurting, it is going to be a bad day.

I won’t be upset at all if the Eagles take Carimi.  I also won’t be ecstatic.  I think he’s a pure OT.  That means he takes over at RT in 2011 or sits.  It would be nice to get some help from the 1st round pick.  I’m sure Baldy thinks Justice will be cut.  I’m not buying that.  He played well in 2009.  The Eagles aren’t the kind of team that gives up on a player they drafted early after one up and down season, especially when there are extenuating circumstances.  Justice never had a stable RG situation and that affected him.  He hurt his knee late in the year and that affected him.

I’m not Justice’s biggest fan.  I didn’t like him prior to the 2006 draft when he was just a prospect from USC.  He’s grown on me a bit as an Eagle, but just isn’t my kind of player.  I do think the Eagles still have hopes for him.  I think 2011 will determine his future, not the poor showing vs the Packers.  How will Justice take to Howard Mudd and his aggressive coaching?  Huge question.

The guys on NFLN did talk about the Eagles possibly taking a DE.  I still have some interest in this, if the right player is on the board.  Ryan Kerrigan is my guy, but might not make it to 23.  Brooks Reed of Arizona would be a real interesting target.

Ashley Fox brought up Miami CB DeMarcus Van Dyke as a possible target.  Yeah, he was the fastest CB at the Combine, but that doesn’t mean he’ll go in the 1st round.  I’ll be shocked if he goes that high.  He’s more of a mid-round target.  Speed is good, but he wasn’t a great player at Miami.  He is as much of a mystery as a prospect.  How did a guy that is fast and 6’1 not play at a higher level for the Hurricanes?

7 Comments on “Saturday Stuff”

1. 1 Davesbeard said at 8:54 PM on March 19th, 2011:

Whoop! Nice new site Tommy!

If the Eagles don’t end up with a stud CB from the draft/free agency and at least a third round+ talent at LB then I will be seriously wondering what is going on with this team. As much as i’m excited by Chaney – Bradley – Fokou at LB their needs to be some quality new blood and the CB situation is obvious.
    With Dunlap and Austin Howard I don’t see OL as a priority.

2. 2 Tommy Lawlor said at 10:20 PM on March 19th, 2011:

The Eagles know CB is a priority. They wanted one last year, but didn’t like the available choices. This year they must have a CB.

Don’t count on an early LB, partly because this isn’t an ideal LB class for 4-3 teams. Good sign is that the Eagles are working out a lot of LBs. They know they need depth / help.

3. 3 T_S_O_P said at 5:09 AM on March 20th, 2011:

Injury robbed my favorite FB of all time before his Hall of Fame career ever started.

Warren Sapp was on NFLN speaking of the Eagles DL needs, so it hasn’t gone completely unnoticed. Warren Sapp though! What do they say? Even a blind yada yada yada!

On the DL needs, Laws, Bunkley and Dixon (RFA) are in the last year of their deals. I’m not sure what RFA will mean come the CBA deal? I cannot see us signing all 3 next year, can you?

4. 4 JVB said at 7:09 AM on March 20th, 2011:

Tommy which of the first round OTs do you see as the best fit for RG? Smith, Carimi, Sherrod, Costanzo or Solder?

5. 5 Jeppe said at 9:49 AM on March 20th, 2011:

Tommy, you’ve stressed that you don’t see the Eagles drafting a SS early, even though Q should be released. What mid-late round SS prospects do you like? I’m intrigued by Joe Lefeged (if I can’t get McDaniel ;-))
    And congratulations on the new site!! I am really happy for you – and for all Eagles fans!!

6. 6 Arby said at 10:47 AM on March 20th, 2011:

Great piece on Turner and the violence of the game and it’s effect on the people who play it. I was a huge football fan in the 70’s and then I saw the Jack Tatum hit on Darryl Stingley and something changed, I mean, obviously, all fans were horrified at the resulting injury. We all loved the intensity with which “The Asassin” played the game in the same way we’ve more recently loved Dawk. But leaving a guy paralyzed was nothing any of us signed up for. After that, I gradually moved away from the game and it’s only in the last 8 years or so that I’ve begun to follow it more closely. It sounds like Darryl Stingley was eventually able to move on and live a life with dignity (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/lopresti/2010-07-27-jack-tatum-darryl-stingley_N.htm). But the recent (last 5 years) rash of brain injury-related suicides from playing football continues to make my love for the game ambivalent. I love the speed of the game, the hard hits, and hate it when anyone gets injured. I take solace that the league is attempting to protect players more with rule changes but don’t have much faith that it’ll change all that much. So it’s a conundrum.

7. 7 pricebe said at 9:04 PM on March 21st, 2011:

Yeah, when Ashley Fox said Van Dyke as a possible pick for 23 I spit out what I was drinking. Did she just look at the fastest 40 time and think that would make him the best CB? She’s dreadful, how does she have a job?