To quote Emmitt Shakespeare, “We got debacled”.
Bad showing. The defense started great, but a penalty kept an early drive alive and the Steelers never slowed down after that. Mike Vick and the offense pressed. That resulted in forced throws and INTs. Our starters got outplayed.
Before we go to the trouble of hiding all the sharp objects let’s remember a few things. Tonight’s game was a big success. We had NO major injuries. That is goal #1, #2, and #3 in every preseason game. The other thing to keep in mind is that this is the preseason. You don’t hold the team to the same level of expectations that you do in real games.
I’m not trying to say we shouldn’t be concerned by tonight’s struggles. The offense was bad. The back seven struggled vs the run and pass. Tackling was sloppy. 3rd down defense was shockingly bad. There are lots of issues for Andy, Marty, and Juan to fix.
I know a lot of people are ready to bench Casey Matthews and shuffle the LBs. Let me look at the tape first. Let’s see what really happened. What were the problems? Are they fixable? Are they likely to get fixed?
Something else to keep in mind about this game. Andy Reid does a terrible job on the road in the preseason. Don’t know why. He is 2-8 in last 10 road games before tonight. Andy is solid at home. We did fine in those regular seasons on the road, but in the preseason there is something missing. I’m not saying he should change anything. I don’t really care about struggling on the road in August. Just wanted to point out the pattern.
* Mike Kafka was terrific. That is exactly what we needed to see from him.
* Dion Lewis was terrific as well. He had one fumble, but played really well aside from that. Very pleasant surprise.
* Gerald Jones is making a strong push for the Practice Squad.
* King Dunlap appeared to have a good game. Can’t wait to see him on tape.
* Vince Young did some good things. He got better from last week as a passer. Bad INT, but did show progress.
* I thought the D-line did some good things. We got several big hits on Steelers QBs.
* You just have to live and die with Asante’s gambles.
Enough guessing and rambling on my part. Time to watch the tape.