Monday Night Stuff

Posted: November 15th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 75 Comments »

Just a few things bouncing around my head right now, as well as answering a couple of questions.

A lot of people are down on Riley Cooper right now.  I don’t think that is fair.  He hasn’t caught a pass all year.  Yes, he did have a drop yesterday, but how many passes has he had thrown his way this season?  I don’t recall one before yesterday.  If so, maybe one or two.  I think the coaches have done a poor job in mixing in the backups this year.

Against Dallas we had a 34-7 lead in the 4th Qtr and were in complete control.  Did we throw the ball to Cooper or Steve Smith?  Did we run Ronnie Brown?  No.  We threw passes to Jason Avant and handed the ball to Shady.  I love the fact Shady put up the big numbers, but I’d rather give the work to Ronnie.

I know we have played Cooper this year, but I’m talking about forcing the ball to him.  Design a play so that he is the #1 option.  Get him involved.  I’m not saying we need to give him a catch every week, but when a passing team gets to the 9th game of the year and the #4/#5 WR doesn’t even have one catch…that’s weird.

I realize one of the challenges of having so many weapons is getting everyone involved, but I think the coaches do a dis-service to the backups to not get them the ball at all and then suddenly turn to them after injuries and expect a flawless performance.  One way for Marty and Andy to put Riley Cooper in a better position to succeed is to actually throw him the ball more than once a month.

And for those calling for us to cut Cooper…remember 1999?  We cut a young WR who dropped a key pass…in a loss to the Cardinals, no less.  That player was Brian Finneran.  Be patient with young guys.  Besides, Cooper is a terrific STer and that’s the strength of the team right now.  Always good to brag about your coverage units instead of the offense and defense, right?

Dave Spadaro and Ike Reese were all over the place with their postgame comments on Sunday.  Dave started talking about positions of need and listed Safety.  A reader said the same thing here today.

Huh?

Nate Allen has played well this year.  Jaiquawn Jarrett just made his first NFL start and played pretty well.  Kurt Coleman missed a key tackle yesterday, but has played well overall since coming back to the starting lineup.  Just last week he did a good job of getting Matt Forte down in open space.  I think writing him off because of yesterday’s miss would be a mistake.  Now, Kurt didn’t play well in the first 3 games and I haven’t forgotten that.  The next time he struggles for a whole game, we’ll talk about what his future is.  For now, I’m fine with him.

I don’t see Safety as a need at all.  I love the top 3 guys and still have interest in seeing Colt Anderson get a shot on defense at some point.  Jarrad Page is history after the year and we could add another Safety to the mix in the future.  I just don’t see the need for a starter.  Allen and Jarrett will be your starters in the future.  Coleman is the top backup.  That’s a good trio.

Should we get a chance to add an impact player, I’m always open to that.  There is no one in the draft that is so good he’d be worth the pick to us.  I don’t know of any free agents that would make sense.  Stick with the current group.  Go add someone like Omar Brown from Marshall in the late rounds.

I think all the misery of this season has caused some people to forget this is still a fairly young team.  There are some good young players in place.  There will clearly be changes made in the offseason, but let’s not act like a rebuilding job is needed.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.

One of the young players is DE Brandon Graham.  Someone asked whether the Eagles made the right decision to activate him, especially now that the season seems just a tad unlikely to result in a Super Bowl appearance.  Fair question.

All along I wanted the Eagles to keep a big picture mindset with Graham.  And they did that.  He was added to the roster, but not in any kind of desperation.  The Eagles saw him practice and thought his knee was in good enough shape to get him on the field.  Graham will benefit from playing this year, even just limited snaps.  He will have an easier time next year of getting back to 100 percent.  This year Graham can spend time getting used to playing again and dealing with the normal trepidation that comes from playing on a rehabbed injury.  It does take time for players to trust their knee/ankle/shoulder/etc. upon returning.  The Bears used cut blocks right away on Graham.  That was a big test.  They went at his legs.  Graham didn’t panic.  He dealt with the blocks and still was an effective player.  Remember Disco Stew last year?  He didn’t want guys getting to his knees and would avoid contact because of that.  Graham is working through that kind of stuff now and we should see a much better player in 2012 because of that.

It does help quite a bit that Graham is just a role player.  Nate Allen’s knee got “tired” this summer as he tried to come back.  Graham isn’t out there for a ton of snaps.  He’s able to go hard, but then get rest.  Big help to him.  I think Graham is going to be a key player for the Eagles in years to come.

The Eagles are 1-7 in the last 8 games at The Linc.  I have no idea why.

2010 losses to :  MIN, DAL, GB

2011 losses to:  NYG, SF, CHI, ARZ

All of those are NFC teams.  There are young QBs (Webb, Skelton) and vets (Eli, Cutler).  Good teams and bad teams.  Day games, night games.  Games played on Sunday, Monday, and even Tuesday.  Heck, was the Packers game on a Saturday?

The lone win was vs Dallas a couple of weeks back.

I’m not sure what to make of this streak, but Andy needs to put on his thinking cap.  A losing streak like this on the road would be bad, but at home?  Can’t have it.

75 Comments on “Monday Night Stuff”

1. 1 PhillyFollower said at 2:14 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Not that it makes a big difference, but I think it’s important to remember that he Eagles loss to the Cowboys at the end of last season was where our starters weren’t even playing… and the Cowboys starters were playing. And we only lost by 1. But even so that’s just a terrible home record.

2. 2 PhillyFollower said at 2:14 AM on November 15th, 2011:

3. 3 Anonymous said at 2:24 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Tommy or Morton

Can you explain to me the love fest with Devon Still? I really don’t see it. Is he quick off the ball? Yes. Does he shoot gaps and get in the backfield well? Yes. However he gets way too far upfield or will lose his gap integrity far too often. He also gets blasted all over the field in the run game. He struggles to get off of blocks as well.

4. 4 Morton said at 9:55 AM on November 15th, 2011:

“Blasted all over the field in the run game”? That’s not what I’m seeing. I see a big body who has the strength and the size to hold the point of attack, even against double teams. Watch Penn State when Still leaves the field – they give up chunks of rushing yardage. When he gets back on the field, the rushing yardage magically goes down.

He will occasionally blow a gap open due to his penetration, but it’s not as often as you make it out to be.

5. 5 Anonymous said at 11:49 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Still is like Worthy. Talented player who freelances (or, hits the wrong gap). Sometimes it’s a big play, sometimes it’s running away from the action. I’d take either in RD2, I’m not spending a first round pick on them. IMO, one of them will fall to our 2nd round pick and will pair well with Kuelchy

6. 6 Anonymous said at 1:20 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Personally I see a kid playing like a man-child so far this year. His stock has gone up dramatically because of it.

7. 7 Anonymous said at 4:36 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Sigh.

Being bad sucks.

8. 8 Anonymous said at 4:38 AM on November 15th, 2011:

On an unrelated note..

Jarret looks tiny! He’s definitely got some pop in his hits but he’s not a big guy, a year in our super-duper new Strength and conditioning program could make him a /beast/. It’s made a world of difference for Shady/Coleman.

9. 9 Morton said at 9:57 AM on November 15th, 2011:

It would be one thing if the Eagles were bad but cheap, like the Bucs.

This is the worst kind of team – one that is bad and expensive, saddled with tons of big free agent contracts.

10. 10 Steve H said at 1:20 PM on November 15th, 2011:

At this point its been pretty well established that the Eagles are actually able to part ways with most of their free agent aquisitions after this season with relatively little penalty, plus a lot of the contracts we got are actually less than what the market value would have been in any other offseason.

11. 11 Mac said at 1:31 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Exactly what I was thinking.

12. 12 Morton said at 1:38 PM on November 15th, 2011:

The point is that they’re paying them a ton of money this year for very little production.

And I don’t see them cutting Asomugha or Vick so easily without having to pay dead money

13. 13 Jeppe Elmelund van Ee said at 6:18 AM on November 15th, 2011:

In large part because of Tommy, I’ve been focused on Kuechly with our 1st round pick in April. However, is he good enough to pick within the first 15? I’ve read multiple places that his MAIN attribute is instincts (which I love), but is that enough to warrant such a high pick? Wouldn’t you want a player with great size, athleticism etc.?

My point is, do you focus on the freaks or the football players in the first half of the first round? Who should we look at?

I know it’s only early November, but the season is over anyway… And I love talking about the draft 😉

14. 14 Sjampen said at 7:00 AM on November 15th, 2011:

The workouts will be a huge thing for Kuechly. He will have to prove that he is an athlete at the combine or he’ll have to convince teams that he is that good at reading the play on his visits.

Forresten, hvis du savner noget dansk NFL diskussion, kan jeg anbefale http://www.armleg.com/footballforum/ . Vi er godt nok blevet lidt tyndt besat på Eagles fronten. Sorry for the link Tommy, but its a danish Forum, so no competition.

15. 15 Anonymous said at 9:55 AM on November 15th, 2011:

I’m not as high on Luke as Tommy is. I think he’s very good, not great, and certainly not in the Patrick Willis sideline-to-sideline category. So I see him going in the 2nd half of the 1st round, not the 1st half. But as Sjampen points out, if he proves he’s more athletic in workouts to go along with his smarts and instincts, he’ll move up.

16. 16 Morton said at 9:59 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Focusing on Kuehly with a high first round pick would definitely be a mistake. The MLB position is not important enough on which to burn a high pick. If you *do* pick a MLB high, he definitely has to be a size-strength-speed freak such as Brian Urlacher. Kuehly is no Urlacher in that respect. He may have Urlacher’s instincts, but he is a slow shrimp compared to Urlacher in terms of physical ability.

17. 17 Jeppe Elmelund van Ee said at 10:58 AM on November 15th, 2011:

I understand the fact, that maybe the MLB is not that important to us (although, if someone like P. Wilis was in the draft, I’d grab him in an instant!). Would you then trade back? Or ignore the fact that we lack a good MLB? I just really want to come away with an upgrade, and there’s not that many possibilities… Is any LB worth a 1st round pick? Burfict, Brown, Te’o?

18. 18 Morton said at 1:40 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Nobody is like Willis or Urlacher in this draft.

Burfict has the physical talent, but he’s a million dollar body with a ten-cent head.

Teo is big and strong but not nearly as fast or as athletic as Willis and Urlacher.

Kuechly has the instincts, the intelligence, and the attitude, but lacks the elite size and athleticism.

19. 19 Anonymous said at 10:58 AM on November 15th, 2011:

I’ve said all along that I’m not sure Luke is worth a 1st round pick. If he is, it would be late.

20. 20 Anonymous said at 11:24 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Didn’t mean to misrepresent you, if I did..? I did think you had him rated higher.

21. 21 Jeppe Elmelund van Ee said at 11:37 AM on November 15th, 2011:

I know you really want Kuechly to be a part of our team – maybe we can get him in the high 2nd… Who would you target with a pick 15? (I know it’s very earlu, but still…) As I understand it, Still is the best DT (senior and junior), but is he THAT good? Would you take DE Jenkins from FSU? Or LB Brown from UNC? Or maybe Claiborne if he would fell into our lab?

22. 22 Anonymous said at 12:16 PM on November 15th, 2011:

4-12/5-11 (not far-fetched, ESPECIALLY if Vick is hurt) and we’re in Coples’ range. It’d be tough not to pull the trigger on him.

23. 23 Mac said at 1:38 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Don’t discount the fact that if we have that high of a pick we could easily move back and secure more quality picks for 2012 and/or 2013.

The possibility of having a late 1st and 3 2nd round picks would be too much for me to pass up… I’m not an expert on what the value of picks is and what is reasonable compensation, but I think there are a lot of positions on this team where competition is necessary this off season.

24. 24 Anonymous said at 2:09 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Just me, but I am not interested in seeing Howie try to show how smart he is by turning our high pick into 12 fifth rounders next year. I am tired of trading up or down, I just want us to stay put. Moving invites too much second guessing when you fail and leave talent on the board(as the Eagles have done for the last few years).

25. 25 Mac said at 2:50 PM on November 15th, 2011:

I guess I am just one of those people who gets sick at the thought of making a high pick who turns out being a bust. I would rather have a bunch of one dollar lottery tickets than one $20 ticket. The flip side of that in my opinion is that you only have so many roster spots on the team, and the likelihood of getting elite talent in the 2nd-5th rounds is less than getting an elite player in the first round.

But I think if we stay put in the first round we pretty much have to go best player available. Even if it’s a position we don’t need at all…

26. 26 Anonymous said at 7:20 AM on November 15th, 2011:

What’s worse?! The Eagles’ home record or amount of 4th quarter leads blown??? Pick your poison.

27. 27 Anonymous said at 10:00 AM on November 15th, 2011:

The blown leads. The Linc has no home-field advantage. Part of it is the negative crowd. The other part is that it’s just not loud (outdoors + not closed in so the players can still hear).

28. 28 Anonymous said at 11:06 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Players get booed at the first sign of trouble. Not good for morale. This was the root of Avant’s comments a couple weeks back. It’s pathetic that these guys would rather play away than at home. You’re supposed to go to games to cheer your team on, not boo them and be make believe coaches/general managers. Imagine if you did that to your kids. Little Johnny just struck out. BOOOO…go back to preschool you bum!

29. 29 Anonymous said at 11:55 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Two thoughts on this:

1) Little Johnny doesn’t make millions of dollars to execute simple plays that he spends all week working on with multiple highly-paid instructors, strength coaches, nutritionists, and other highly-paid athletes. Also, he doesn’t blame the crowd or miss practice because life is hard.

2) It’s Philadelphia. The fan-base has witnessed some of the worst losses in sporting history… recently despite having superior talent. They are also fairly intelligent (from a football standpoint), and therefore can recognize “the first sign of trouble,” especially with this coach (i.e. screen passes to Owen Schmitt to start the game, backup quarterbacks hitting 5th string receivers on 3rd and long for first downs against the defense, 9 passes in a row when you’ve got a lead late in the game, McNabb hitting the dirt, etc.). Lastly, this is how it’s always been – the capricious crowd shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone, and therefore is not acceptable as an excuse for blown leads.

30. 30 Anonymous said at 12:09 PM on November 15th, 2011:

All good points. It’s very frustrating, especially when it seems so easy to us. We have a lead. Top 3 running back in the lead. QB is hurt and playing bad. We are going against ARI. RUN THE BALL. Now there are no guarantees even if we did run the ball that he wouldn’t have gotten stuffed. But the minimum of 120 seconds would have been nice. It just seems like football 101. Reid, although a good coach, just simply out thinks himself. I can only imagine what goes on in his head. Instead of just manning up and winning the game. He tries to think of the craziest out of the box play that no one in the world would ever expect. “They’ll never see this coming tee hee…”….nice “pass” Ronnie….ugh.

31. 31 Anonymous said at 2:15 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Please clarify: You are attributing the blown leads in part because of the home crowd being negative?

32. 32 Mac said at 1:39 PM on November 15th, 2011:

In my opinion, the Linc is a home field disadvantage.

33. 33 Anonymous said at 8:54 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Tommy,

My argument with Cooper is that maybe there is a reason he isn’t more involved. It is great that we have good coverage units, but a WR will only stick in the league so long if he can’t contribute on offense.

As for the home losses, whatever the reason, it is inexcusable.

34. 34 Anonymous said at 9:18 AM on November 15th, 2011:

A few thoughts –

There’s no question that the coaching staff has not designed enough plays for Riley Cooper, but I don’t think all the blame can be put on the coaching staff. Cooper also has to show them in practices and during moments throughout the game that he can be a reliable receiver. At this point in his career, he should be forcing the coaches to find him more playing time/balls thrown to him based on what he has done throughout the week. This is a coaching staff that loves to use their weapons. I don’t think Riley has done enough (in practices) to force their hand. I d. on’t know that I have given up on him yet, but I just don’t think blaming the coaches alone is fair.

As for safety, I think the key is that we need better play from the safety position. We have all young guys, so it is possible we get better just from within, but none of the guys have played so well that they are above replacement. Nate Allen has been recovering and had a few games were he looked decent, but he certainly hasn’t stood out. Coleman had the one game were he was fantastic, but has been inconsistent throughout the year. Jarrett is largely still an unknown. At least one of those guys needs to step up and establish themselves as solid starter. That being said, your point is well taken. Both Allen and Jarrett are 2nd round picks and are very young. They should both develop and we can only hope they will develop into consistent solid starters. But with that in mind, using yet another high draft pick on safety would be a bit silly unless the guy is a clear stud. I guess the point I am making is safety may not be a need in terms of bringing in someone new, but better, more consistent safety play is absolutely a need. We all hope our draft picks work out, but right now, at least with our two 2nd rounders, they have not lived up to there early round selection.

I agree with you that this team is young and has several players with a lot of potential. To me though, the concern is can we bring out that potential, and with the way this season has been derailed, if it remains this bad and we go in a different direction with coaches, will we end up wasting some of the young talent. We obviously have to wait and see what happens at the end of the year, but it is clear that some kind of changes will happen at the end of the year, whether it is players, schemes, and/or coaches. We do have young guys with plenty of potential, but right now, it is hard to be excited about that potential when we are 3-6 and not seeing any of it play out.

35. 35 Matthew Verhoog said at 9:20 AM on November 15th, 2011:

The amount of enjoyment we get from any event in life is related to how our expectations match the outcomes. The expectations for this season were fairly high, 19-0 with 40- 0 shutout’s all the way, so when we didn’t do that we suffered. The solution is easy, lowered expectations, Think Rosanne instead of Ms. Fox. Think, wow, we may have blown a 4th quater lead to a terrible team, but at least we HAD a lead. If you expect to loose 40-0 every game, then every point becomes an occasion for joy. and every lose becomes expected and no reason for becoming upset.

36. 36 Morton said at 10:00 AM on November 15th, 2011:

It’s hard to have lowered expectations when your team is loaded with big $$$ contracts.

37. 37 Eric Weaver said at 9:26 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Can we shut Vick down for the year, start Kafka for the last 7, then trade him for a 2nd? 🙂

38. 38 Mac said at 1:45 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Trade who… Vick or Kafka?

39. 39 Anonymous said at 9:44 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Tommy, any thoughts on Ray D’s article?

40. 40 Anonymous said at 10:56 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Ray said toward the bottom what the truth is. We need to see how things play out. If we fall apart and go 4-12…Reid might just get fired. If we get on a hot streak, that may be enough to make Lurie think bringing Andy back is the way to go.

Everyone is in a rush to write the “Andy is done” story so they can say “I was first” when it actually does happen.

41. 41 Mac said at 1:44 PM on November 15th, 2011:

My guess is that whoever wrote Andy is done when they made the McNabb pick ages ago was probably the first one.

42. 42 Anonymous said at 9:49 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Is it too late to blame Casey Matthews?

43. 43 Anonymous said at 10:57 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Clearly not. He did play in the game.

44. 44 Anonymous said at 10:07 AM on November 15th, 2011:

I saw a quote by Graham yesterday (can’t remember where) that was really encouraging. As you mentioned Tommy, one of the big things about coming back from the injury is having confidence in the knee. Graham said he was pretty worried the first time he got cut blocked, but the knee held up fine, and it gave him confidence in playing on it despite guys going after his legs. That’s huge.

45. 45 Anonymous said at 10:55 AM on November 15th, 2011:

RE: No. 1 draft need

I don’t think it’s off base to suggest the Eagles — especially if they continue this downward spiral — need to draft a QB. And this draft has (potentially) three greats: Luck, Barkley, and Griffin III.

Yes, the Eagles just threw $35 million at Vick.

But does anyone posting here think Vick’s the longterm answer at QB. Too many turnovers. Too many injuries.

I remember reading the low turnover numbers during McNabb’s tenure — and I’d shake my head with admiration.

But I didn’t really appreciate how McNabb’s protect-the-ball approach translated into wins and losses.

Now I get it. Big time.

Plus, this team will have a lot of changes (AGAIN) throughout the defense. The LBs, a new LCB, a new DT. More new and more young players. Plus a new D.C.

I think if whomever is running this team on draft day has a shot at any of the top 3 QBs, it’s an easy decision to draft one. (I’d go w/ RGIII because, besides the cannon arm and great legs, the guy’s incredibly accurate. Not “college” accurate. But small-window accurate.)

46. 46 Mac said at 1:48 PM on November 15th, 2011:

The solution isn’t to get rid of Vick… we need to get shorter on the offensive line, and taller at WR.

47. 47 Anonymous said at 3:07 PM on November 15th, 2011:

I’m with Tommy here– taller at wr is where Cooper could come in, if they’d give him a chance to play.

48. 48 Anonymous said at 10:57 AM on November 15th, 2011:

In 1998, the Ray Rhodes gave a young, college coach the O.C. job.

I’d never seen a coach so over-matched. (It didn’t help that the talent sucked either.)

I didn’t think I’d ever see that situation again. Then came Juan. It just boggles the mind.

49. 49 Anonymous said at 10:58 AM on November 15th, 2011:

If Reid gets the can are we at risk of losing both Mudd and Washburn? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Reid played a big role in bringing them to Philly and they could easily go back into retirement with him not around.

50. 50 ChowderFACE said at 11:15 AM on November 15th, 2011:

About the only coach out there that I would fire reid for is Jeff Fisher.

51. 51 Anonymous said at 4:03 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Well Washhburn wasn’t retired but your point is valid, regardless of the fact that these guys are great coachs a new HC would probably want his own guys.

52. 52 Anonymous said at 11:57 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Tweet Tweet What?!?

53. 53 Anonymous said at 11:58 AM on November 15th, 2011:

Tommy, Do you have an inside track to Eagles Cheerleader Kat? I am digging the new commerical on PE.com….

54. 54 Eric Weaver said at 1:28 PM on November 15th, 2011:

I went to high school with one of them. Go me!

55. 55 Anonymous said at 12:10 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Interesting stat:

Vick pre broken ribs.

2/2 – 21 yards – 10.5 YPA

Vick post broken ribs

14/32 – 107 yards – 2 (4 really) INT – 3.3 YPA

Obviously a tiny stat sample but he looked different before and after that hit. Didn’t realise it at the time but it’s fairly obvious in hindsight.

I guess if he was struggling with it that much he should have come out but would VY really have been a better option..

As an aside, I thought Dunlap played a great game Sunday but it was his error that meant Mike got hit on the play.

56. 56 Mac said at 1:50 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Thanks, good insight/use of stats.

57. 57 Anonymous said at 2:01 PM on November 15th, 2011:

For the first time (I like to think), I am having a hard time keeping my cool about the mess that is this Eagles team. I have disagreed with Reid many times in the past but I’ve always figured that, bottom line, the guy knows more and is closer to the game than me. There’s a good chance, therefore, that he might be right and I might be wrong. Not this time.

I can think of no reasonable, logical, rational explanation for the crap that passed for coaching and play-calling this past game. It’s as if Reid’s press conference answers take place in some anti-world in which the truth is that he, as well as Marty and Juan, are actually trying to put the guys in a position to fail.

Just a bit more than halfway through and we’re out of the playoffs. With this team? Unbelievable. I don’t know how you guys are staying so lucid. Maybe you’re drinking better than me!

58. 58 Mac said at 2:19 PM on November 15th, 2011:

I like Dr. Pepper. Oh, and hot tea… yes especially Tazo Chai tea.

59. 59 Anonymous said at 3:05 PM on November 15th, 2011:

If Reid’s horrible stubbornness continues, we will need Dr. Freud not Dr. Pepper. Oh yes, side note, my wife makes homemade chai, puts Tazo to shame.

60. 60 Mac said at 3:24 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Haha.. and that sounds good! Any pointers? I am definitely into teas, and the idea of mixing things up.

61. 61 Anonymous said at 8:27 AM on November 16th, 2011:

If you get me your e-mail address I can hit you with our chai recipes.

62. 62 Mac said at 1:31 PM on November 16th, 2011:

makemymaeday@yahoo.com

63. 63 Zachary said at 2:17 PM on November 15th, 2011:

I would like someone to explain to me how Steve Smith is still on the Philadelphia Eagles….I’m dumbfounded.

64. 64 Mac said at 2:33 PM on November 15th, 2011:

You and Chad Hall both…

65. 65 Zachary said at 3:18 PM on November 15th, 2011:

I’d be fine if they filled the roster with my neice. Hell anyone. I know we can’t put 6 losses on Steve Smith, but he’s been a rather big factor in 2 of them, and hasn’t done anything to hold that spot. Lets just roll 52 players from here on out…

66. 66 Mac said at 2:35 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Maybe we are working on trading him to the Broncos for Dawk. oops… past the trade deadline :'(

67. 67 Mac said at 2:32 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Have there been instances in which leadership appeared overnight?

1. Nate Allen… has he played a full 16 games yet?
    2. Kurt Coleman… 7th round pick, clearly not seen by coaches as a starter.
    3. Jaiquawn Jarrett started his first game.

Is it just me, or is Nnamdi correcting and setting up the secondary on a bunch of plays? It sure doesn’t seem like that should be the primary responsibility of the guy who is a shut down/press corner.

Asante is as Asante does… you should be able to count on him for 7-10 picks and about 6 points per year. You should also count on him getting burnt for 2-3 long TDs. Basically, a win… plus a smart coach could pull his ass off the field when the opposing offense is less than 10 yards from the endzone.

DRC is physically gifted, but from what I’ve heard, a practical joker and not a leadership type… plus right now he is learning a new position.

I doubt that Page or Hanson get any respect in the locker room, and possibly on the field as well.

Marsh and Hughes are up and coming guys who don’t have the right to take a leadership role.

CONCLUSION: the secondary improves as our young Safety’s gain respect and leadership on the field. It may well be that the worst move this off season was letting “Q” go. It could easily be said that our whole defense improves with having “Q” on the team instead of Page. For all the veteran talent we have up front and on the edges of this defense, we have young guys who need to grow into making adjustments and quaterbacking this defense.

*and I didn’t even mention that the lack of leadership in the middle of the defense with the LBers of which there is probably none to help counter the lack at the Safety position.

68. 68 Keith Petres said at 3:07 PM on November 15th, 2011:

This is not the end of the Eagles’ season. Nor even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

69. 69 Anonymous said at 3:37 PM on November 15th, 2011:

About drafting a QB . . . I don’t mean that Vick should promptly be cut loose.

But in a year or two, that new QB would move into the starting spot. Cutting Vick loose then wouldn’t be a big cap hit.

This would all be at the expense of getting a stud DL/LB.

But the three QBs coming out this year look like team cornerstones — the way McNabb was (as he was used, at least).

70. 70 Mac said at 3:39 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Per Andy Reid, Vick is a “tough nut.”

71. 71 Mac said at 3:41 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Also.. “We need to score more points.”

72. 72 Zachary said at 4:04 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Tommy,

I’d like you to expand on your belief this is a young team….as if it is some sort of positive.

Yeah, the overall roster is young, but look at our talent. I feel like it’s all either peaked, late 20’s early 30’s.

Vick – 30’s
    Peters – 29
    Celek – 26 – gonna be 27 next year.
    McCoy – young, but can he really improve?
    DeSean Jackson – young, but isn’t likely to be here next year
    Maclin – young
    Herremans – 29

So of our best offensive players – in my mind at least…2 are young, and likely to be building blocks, even if they aren’t going to get better. One has whined his way out of town. One is closer to be old than to being young. And the rest in the Not For Long NFL, are closer to the end than the begining.

On defense, it’s even worse.

Cole, Jenkins, Babin, Samuels, Nnamdi – our 5 best players, even if by name only – are getitng old. Add to it rock steady Mike Patterson, and I don’t see this youth as a positive.

Having back-up young players isn’t something to look forward to in my mind.

73. 73 Mac said at 4:17 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Are you suggesting that our 1st round draft pick is going to be an OT or a DL next time around?… I’m thinking yes.

Also… funny that Celek is about the same age as Watkins.

74. 74 Mac said at 4:12 PM on November 15th, 2011:

Here’s a fun question for you Tommy…

Who wins more games this season, Mike Vick or Tim Tebow?

75. 75 Raul Estrada said at 9:35 PM on November 18th, 2011:

I believe at the Linc’s where the team’s problems are: too lax, fam & friends, local hangouts, etc. Especially the weeks before the bye. Lots of them are too busy planning a short vacation and what nots. Ridiculous!