Okay, picking on one player after a game like this is sorta dumb. I fully admit that. Still, you can’t help but be pissed off at DeSean Jackson after he dropped a pair of TD passes in a game that was close at the time. Those were critical plays. You need star players to deliver in big games. DeSean isn’t the reason we lost, but his sloppy play is a symbol of what’s wrong with this team. Sloppy, mistake-filled football. Lots of talent and potential, but not enough production.
We’re now 4-7. I’m not ready to say the season is over. I’ll hold out delusional hope until we have the 8th loss, which will be the final nail in the coffin. Until then, I’m going to keep hoping we’ve got some miracle finish in us. I am not expecting it. Understand that I know this is an extreme longshot, but as a sports fan I don’t believe in giving up til you have to.
I’ve got some thoughts on the team and game, but will save them for a post tomorrow. For now, I’ll just stick with some quick comments:
* Nate Allen was terrible for us. A lot of fans on Twitter were ripping Nate and then ripping me for having said good things about Nate this year. There is no disputing he stunk up the joint tonight. However, Nate has played well this year. He had a solid rookie year. Is Nate perfect? No. He’s made some mistakes. Is he a game-changer, impact kind of Safety? No. There are only a handful of guys like that in the whole league. Blame the guy for a bad game, but don’t act like Nate is some horrible player who’s never done anything right. That’s silly hyperbole.
* We gained 466 yards of offense, but it sure feels like most of that was a waste.
* I was happy to see Clay Harbor and Riley Cooper make nice catches. I think those guys are just scratching the surface of their potential. I’m not saying they’ll be stars or anything to that extent, but they have more talent than most people give them credit for.
* DeSean was benched late in the game. I’m not sure if Andy was mad due to lack of effort on some play or if there was something else he did / didn’t do. Jason Avant played his butt off all game long. Put Jason’s focus, toughness in DeSean’s body and you’d have a great player.
* Another game where tackling was an issue.
* Another game where Red Zone defense was an issue.
* Another game where penalties were an issue.
* We were hurt by a couple of key non-calls. That was hardly the difference in the game, but they sure didn’t help.
* The lack of a running game was frustrating. I’ll get more into that in the Game Review.
The good news. We play Thursday at Seattle. Short week to think about this performance.