Game Preview – SEA

Posted: December 1st, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 29 Comments »

We’re off to Seattle for a Thursday night game.

The Seahawks are 4-7, like us.  They are wildly inconsistent, like us.  Seattle put up over 400 yards and beat the Giants.  They beat the Ravens.  Seattle was also shutout by the Steelers and lost 6-3 to the Browns.  You really don’t know what to expect from this team.

OFF – Seattle struggles to move the ball and score points.  They lack efficiency and playmakers.

DEF – Seattle is ranked just ahead of us in yards (14th) and is ahead of us in points.  Solid.

Last Game:  The Skins went out West and beat the Seahawks, 23-17.  Prior to that, Seattle had won 2 games in a row.

Injuries:  WR Sidney Rice just went to IR yesterday.  QB Tarvaris Jackson has dealt with a pectoral injury for a while.  MLB David Hawthorne and CB Richard Sherman are supposed to be game-time decisions.  Seattle has had their share of injuries this year.

KEY PLAYERS

RB Marshawn Lynch – Started slow, but has averaged 110 yards over the last month.  Blocking was an issue early in the season.  That’s improved and Lynch has gotten into a rhythm.  He’s running well now.  At his best when he runs hard and is physical.  Not an easy guy to tackle.

QB Tarvaris Jackson – Rough year for the veteran QB.  Doesn’t have great blocking or weapons.  Has had some good moments (Giants game), but has struggled at times.  He was actually able to practice this week since his injury is getting better.  We’ll find out if that helps.

DT Brandon Mebane – Disruptive interior player.  Has 7 TFLs.  Doesn’t have any sacks, but he will push the pocket.  Strong guy with quickness.

DE Chris Clemons – Has thrived for SEA since signing there.  Leads the team with 8 sacks, 3 FFs.

The Seahawks have a good trio of LBs – if Hawthorne is able to start.  He’s one of the more underrated players in the NFL.  Leads them in tackles.  Has a sack and 2 INTs.  Good player.  Rookie K.J. Wright plays SAM.  I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen from him.

S Earl Thomas is the guy that Eagles fans coveted.  He’s got 1 INT this year.  That’s the same amount as Nate Allen and 2 less than Kurt Coleman.  And yes, Earl did get to face Rex Grossman. The other S is Kam Chancellor.  He’s a big guy and punishing hitter.  He’s gotten a few flags this year for illegal hits.

Seattle could have CB issues if Sherman is unable to go.  He’s impressed me when I’ve watched them play.  Brandon Browner is the other CB and has great size.  Can be too physical at times.  Lacks top speed.

Washington had success with crossing routes and attacking the middle of the field.  Rex threw for 315 yards.  I would fully expect the Eagles to try the same thing.

Seattle is better against the run than pass, which I know is exactly what you wanted to hear.  I can’t decide if I like Shady vs their defense.  Seattle has the athletes to shut him down, but they also have guys who can be undisciplined.  If they lose contain by over-pursuing, Shady could break off some big runs.

While Seattle has bad offensive numbers, there is hope for them.  Lynch is running well in recent weeks and Jackson is finally getting healthy.  They haven’t had those players clicking at the same time.  Now, just because Jackson is healthy doesn’t mean he will play better.  He should, but Tarvaris has defied logic more than a few times in his career.

I think our DL should be able to get pressure.  Seattle looks vulnerable on the right side.  Babin just might have a good revenge game.

Leon Washington is a very dangerous PR and KOR.  I don’t think the NFL Network scheduled this game with the notion that the best matchup could be Washington going up against Colt Anderson.

Seattle rarely wins pretty.  They need turnovers, fluke plays, and oddball things to happen.  Lucky for them, we have issues with turnovers, penalties, and fluke plays.

I don’t really have a good sense of things as we head into the game.  The 2008 team got turned around after a bad loss to an AFC power and then playing an NFC West team on Thursday night.  The 2011 Eagles are impossible to understand, let alone predict.  We could win by 40 or 4.  We could shut them out or give up 31.  We could lose in any number of ways.

We fell to 5-7 after losing to Seattle in both 2005 and 2007.  We need a win tonight to get to 5-7.  My guess is…we win.   A loss would give Eagles fans 10 days to rip Andy and the boys.  That would be far too easy.  Dealing with an ugly win seems so much more appropriate for this upside down season.

29 Comments on “Game Preview – SEA”

1. 1 Sam Lynch said at 12:54 PM on December 1st, 2011:

I always hated Chris Clemson. He seems to beat up Johnny Boston College every year.

2. 2 Anonymous said at 1:38 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Those sound like gang names from a 50’s movie.

3. 3 Matthew Verhoog said at 1:01 PM on December 1st, 2011:

” We could win by 40 or 4. We could shut them out or give up 31. We could lose in any number of ways.”
    I think your right.

4. 4 Anonymous said at 1:04 PM on December 1st, 2011:

I know what you did there, Tommy:

You are hyping the Seahawks offense so Juan will have an excuse when the Eagles D gives up 534 total yards and 42 points to the 30th ranked O in the NFl.

Well done, sir!

5. 5 Anonymous said at 2:32 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Ha. If we get lit up by them, Juan is gonna catch hell no matter what.

6. 6 Anonymous said at 5:23 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Actually, we should be fine. The truth of the matter is Juan has an ugly racist streak and we are suffering as a result. He wants to see players with Latino-sounding names do well. Cruz is the prime example, but unfortunately many, many teams have players that sound Latino to Juan.

Fortunately, Travaris Jackson and Marshawn Lynch do not.

7. 7 Mac said at 1:23 PM on December 1st, 2011:

“While Seattle has offensive numbers, there is hope for them.” slightly edited… what do you think?

8. 8 Anonymous said at 1:55 PM on December 1st, 2011:

I honestly haven’t watched enough of SEA to have a strong opinion. I worry about Lynch breaking tackles. That has me nervous. I worry about our guys being over-confident vs their passing game. I do think we can rush the passer and get to Jackson.

SEA does seem to get up for “good” teams. We’ve got a crappy record, but big names so I think that will bring out the best in them. I don’t see 534 yards and 42 points, but don’t expect a shutout either.

9. 9 Morton said at 1:34 PM on December 1st, 2011:

“S Earl Thomas is the guy that Eagles fans coveted. He’s got 1 INT this year. That’s the same amount as Nate Allen and 2 less than Kurt Coleman. And yes, Earl did get to face Rex Grossman. The other S is Kam Chancellor. He’s a big guy and punishing hitter. He’s gotten a few flags this year for illegal hits.”

So the number of INTs a safety has defines his ability to play?

The fact that Earl Thomas is actually starting and is not a liability should tell you all you need to know about the Nate Allen vs Earl Thomas debate.

10. 10 Anonymous said at 1:51 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Morton,

Whenever you get sick of being a total prick let me know so I can assume the role. I’ll happily spout nonsense just to be an annoying naysayer. I’m really good at ignoring facts to support my views though I’m not sure I’m up to your Jedi level.

11. 11 Anonymous said at 5:25 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Hey! Get in line buddy!

12. 12 Anonymous said at 1:57 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Earl is a ballhawk. He needs to make plays in the passing game to be at his best. Earl has great instincts and great hands.

The flip side is that he’s a poor tackler. He likes to hit, but not tackle.

We’ll see who plays better tonight. Won’t surprise me if Kurt Coleman outplays the other 3 Safeties on the field.

13. 13 Anonymous said at 2:06 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Morton, again the genius nuggets! Love this! Can you please expand upon why you say that Earl Thomas is actually starting and not a liability. I’d like to take what you say as gospel but……just can’t. Tommy’s got some good comments about the he isn’t the second coming of Ed Reed. C’mon man. give us something. dont just stir the pot.

14. 14 Morton said at 3:55 PM on December 1st, 2011:

The problem with this whole organization is that the Eagles front office has fundamentaly failed in a drastic way in both the draft and in free agency. And yet Tommy glosses over these failings routinely.

As Eagles fans, we should want our team to succeed, and we should be willing to call out the people responsible for this team’s poor construction.

Howie Roseman and Andy Reid should be public enemy #1 and #2 in our eyes.

15. 15 Steve H said at 4:26 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Which has nothing to do with your evaluation of Earl Thomas. Just because Tommy doesn’t have the same kind of hard on for Eagles FO bashing that you do doesn’t invalidate what he says.

16. 16 Anonymous said at 4:41 PM on December 1st, 2011:

What Steve H. said.

17. 17 Anonymous said at 2:02 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Short week and a west coast trip to play a prime time game. THis could be a miserable game to watch with our injuries.

18. 18 Anonymous said at 2:19 PM on December 1st, 2011:

I said this on Twitter…the game just has an odd feel to it. It is almost like we’re playing in some crappy bowl game rather than a regular season NFL game. Odd matchup. Losing teams. National TV. Mid-week game. No one is fired up. Is this PHI/SEA or the Humanitarian Bowl?

19. 19 Alex Karklins said at 2:41 PM on December 1st, 2011:

It’s weird. This game has a very surreal feeling to it. I may very well forget that the game is even on until midway through the 2nd quarter.

20. 20 Anonymous said at 3:45 PM on December 1st, 2011:

I think there is a very high-risk that we could see at least some Eagles players quitting on the team tonight. If we face any adversity to the Seahawks, I just don’t think this team has enough heart to really try to win the game. I’m just hoping that IF that happens, a few leaders on the team can emerge and really get on the players who quit.

21. 21 Anonymous said at 3:30 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Brandon Browner (6 feet 4, 221 pounds) and Richard Sherman (6-3, 195) are both very big and good press corners. If our little “businessman” doesn’t bring his A game tonight he may not even get off the line.

22. 22 Kammich said at 3:30 PM on December 1st, 2011:

I’m still excited for this game, I don’t know why. Fantasy football playoffs start in my leagues this week, so that will keep my occupied this Sunday. The Thursday time slot gives me a nice little respite… if they win, fantastic. If they lose, I’ll have time to hopefully forget about it by Sunday so I can enjoy the rest of the football weekend(including the excellent Conference Championship games Saturday).

The off-the-field logistics seem to stack up against us… tons of injuries, short week, looong travel. Doesn’t seem to bode well for us. But the match-ups ON the field should be good. Jackson is a liability under center and you have to feed Lynch consistently to get him going. If we are able to jump out to an early lead and force Jackson to beat us, it could be fairly smooth sailing. Offensively, their front 7 seems to like to get up field and attack, something we might be able to exploit with some of the sprint draws and traps to Shady. Get those defenders out of position and make them pay. If Sherman plays, that makes two big, tall corners with him and Browner. They should match up well with the likes of Cooper, but hopefully we can exploit them with DeSean. We’ll see.

What do I expect? No flippin’ clue, fellas. But I’m gonna make a cheesesteak, pop open a Fosters, and try to enjoy the fact that the Eagles have the night all to themselves. Hoping for a win, as always. Fly Eagles Fly.

23. 23 Dewey said at 3:58 PM on December 1st, 2011:

No mention of Red Bryant? Isn’t he the pre-eminant Seahawk DLineman?

24. 24 Anonymous said at 4:10 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Biggest DT and best run defender. Mebane flashed more in the game I watched. Caught my eye. Bryant does his job well. Big part of their run D.

25. 25 Anonymous said at 4:02 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Tommy:

Any thoughts on D-Mac hittin’ the road out of Minnie?

26. 26 ian twaddle said at 4:18 PM on December 1st, 2011:

I know I’m in the minority but I like coach Reid and want him to stay. I think Reid should stay and we need a real D coordinator. Not one that’s on Reid’s staff. I don’ trust Reid for anything on D, whether its picking players, coaches or schemes. It would be amazing to get someone like Spagnuolo but I doubt that happens.

We score at least 20 points a game when our starting QB is playing. So our offence is fine, it could def be better in the redzone. But all in all if our offence was on the ravens, jets, niners, houston, chicago, etc, that would be a pretty darn good team. So get a real D coordinator and we should be ready to contend for a championship next year. I like Juan, seems like a good dude, but he is overmatched. Juan seems like the perfect position coach.

27. 27 Anonymous said at 4:25 PM on December 1st, 2011:

Tommy, as a fan of #5 where do you feel he has the best chance of success – Chicago, Houston or the broadcasting booth?

28. 28 Anonymous said at 4:32 PM on December 1st, 2011:

It’s amazing how quickly his career derailed once leaving the Eagles. Not only has he not looked good as a QB, but now controversy about being prepared seems to be following him. As an older QB with all the negative rumors, I think he could have a hard time finding a team that will want to bring him in. No one will bring him in as a starter, and McNabb will have to be able to accept that role. One thing that could end up being an interesting story line would be if AR is fired, would he bring McNabb in as a backup wherever AR ends up next?

29. 29 Anonymous said at 4:46 PM on December 1st, 2011:

An amazing stat on McNabb, he shares a record with Reggie (I think*) for pro-bowl appearances as an Eagle, with 6. He also shares something in common with nearly every Eagle that has played in that he was never named an All-pro. Reggie on the other hand was named all-pro 5 times as an Eagle.

*I may be getting Reggie and Bednarik the wrong way round, one was named all pro 6 and went to 5 pro bowls as an Eagle, the other went to 5 pro bowls but was named all-pro 6 times IIRC.