Mychal Kendricks Signs

Posted: May 9th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 41 Comments »

The Eagles finally broke the seal and signed a draft pick.  2nd round LB Mychal Kendricks signed a 4-year deal today.  This is excellent news.  We want him to be the starting SAM.  He needs every rep possible to get used to the position and ready for the season.

Think back to last year.  Casey Matthews didn’t have a copy of the playbook.  He couldn’t work with coaches.  He couldn’t work with Barry Rubin or do his workouts at the NovaCare complex.  August rolled around and he was in over his head.  Kendricks is going to have a huge jump on him.

Kendricks is already working with the coaches.  He is getting help from Rubin on how to best adjust his body for the NFL (although with his Combine showing you may want to let him continue what he’s already been doing).  Kendricks will have a helmet on this weekend and go through the rookie camp.

None of this means he will definitely be ready and will play well.  I wish I could tell you that will happen, but even smart rookies with good coaching can struggle early on in the NFL.  The point here is that Kendricks will have the best possible chance to succeed because there will be no delays due to financial/legal matters.  He’s already signed, sealed, and delivered.  He’s already been taught some basics by Juan Castillo and Mike Caldwell.

Let’s hope Kendricks is a quick learner and adapts well to the NFL.  He could be a key player for us this year.

The other rookie we need signed ASAP is CB/RS Brandon Boykin.  He will spend time with Castillo, Todd Bowles, and Bobby April.  He’ll have a lot to learn.  Get him signed so there are no freakish delays.  With the new CBA rookie contracts are much easier to do, but you never know when you’ll meet the one agent who is trying to prove a point and holds out as long as possible.

DeMeco Ryans update.  He told Jeff McLane that he’s already learned the defense and that it was “fairly easy”.   Is this good or bad?  Last year we heard about how Castillo wanted things simple.  I was all for that.  Unfortunately players were all kinds of confused.  Now we hear from Ryans that what he learned was “easy”.  Did Castillo simplify things or did we just have too many idiots on the field last year?

Time will tell.

We talked about roster breakdowns recently.  Jimmy Bama has a good post up about Dallas and their WR position.  Wow, I didn’t realize how ugly things are.  They have a great pair of starters in Bryant and Austin.  After that thing aren’t so ideal.  They got very lucky last year with getting hold of Laurent Robinson.  Dallas needs underachieving vet Kevin Ogletree, rookie Danny Coale, or some no-name to emerge and play well as #3.  Not a pretty roster at that spot.  Maybe Jerry Jones is hoping one of his no-names will pull a Victor Cruz and come from nowhere to dominate the league.  I think it is more likely for those guys to play like former Astro Jose Cruz than Victor.  We’ll see.

Compare that to the Patriots.  They have 37 veterans (or more).

Was Dallas really hurt by the salary cap penalty?  Are they just overconfident in some developmental guys?

41 Comments on “Mychal Kendricks Signs”

1. 1 ICDogg said at 12:55 AM on May 9th, 2012:

“Did Castillo simplify things or did we just have too many idiots on the field last year?”

Probably both

2. 2 Anders Jensen said at 8:10 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Agree, I think it didnt help matters that one was moved away from the only position he knew (Chaney) and the other was a rookie there wasnt comfortable.

3. 3 ICDogg said at 12:57 AM on May 9th, 2012:

“I think it is more likely for those guys to play like former Astro Jose Cruz than Victor. ”

I hope they play more like Penelope Cruz.

4. 4 TommyLawlor said at 2:07 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Just watched Vanilla Sky the other night. She can be so pretty at times, but also odd looking at others. Weird.

But yeah…good point.

5. 5 the guy said at 2:44 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Ah, the Hilary Swank effect. I know it well.

6. 6 laeagle said at 2:48 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Why, are you Chad Lowe?

7. 7 Razz_A_Matazz said at 3:45 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Pat Morita

8. 8 teltschikfakeout88 said at 7:31 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Impossible….Pat passed away several years ago.

9. 9 Ben Hert said at 12:51 PM on May 9th, 2012:

So did Andy Kauffman, and Elvis.

10. 10 Arby1 said at 10:13 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Watch it buddy! Megan is to Tommy as Penelope is to Arby.

11. 11 Ben Hert said at 12:52 PM on May 9th, 2012:

I wonder if I’d get an IP ban if I trash-talked Megan Fox.

12. 12 Joe Taylor said at 4:51 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Andy Reid said that the SAM job was for Mychal Kendricks/it’s his job to lose.
    Assuming he doesn’t stink in this league, do you think the Eagles plan on moving him to the ILB when we decide to move on from DeMeco? Or do you think the Eagles want him as the permanent SAM LB if all goes well with him?

Also, can Chaney play the WLB position?
    Assume Kendricks plays well in TC/Pre-Season and solidifies the SAM job…
    Rolle and Matthews battle and one of them gets the WILL job…

Where would Chaney go from there? Does he just become a career long back-up? Or would he be viewed as a future starting LB?

I know these questions are kinda premature but its just something I was thinking about.

Adam Caplan has always said that Chaney is a talented player but I don’t really see it..He’s a fast LB that can’t tackle and not so great in coverage IMO. He’s not a complete bum but I just don’t see much talent in him.

13. 13 Tyler Phillips said at 9:51 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Best idea is probably to let Chaney be the Backup Mike, let DeMeco teach him some. Of course if they do that or not is up to them.

14. 14 Donald Kalinowski said at 11:45 AM on May 9th, 2012:

I asked the same questions about Akeem Jordan and Omar Gaither a few years ago. Both guys were not high draft picks and both guys started their careers playing really well. Fans were excited about both players and it was hard to imagine that either guy would be a career backup. The same could be said about Jamar Chaney. He had too much hype off of one game. From what I remember, he struggled after the NYG game and last season he was very inconsistent. I want Jamar to succeed because of his athleticism and the fact that he was a 7th round draft pick, but to me he hasn’t shown the ability to be a starter let alone be a probowl LB.

15. 15 rage114 said at 9:34 AM on May 9th, 2012:

On Ryans, I don’t think either (of the scenarios listed).

It is reported that he is a standup club house leader and that he has a good understanding of his role on the field and off the field. I think he understands what to say to the media and how to say it. All the reports out of Houston when he was traded support this.

I think he knows that it is important to portray himself, as the QB of the defense, as having a firm and confident grasp on the defense, that he knows what he is doing. There is no ambiguity; no room for questioning.

In essence, he is simply stating that “he got this.”

16. 16 Sam Lynch said at 9:59 AM on May 9th, 2012:

ASAP? I mean, the presence of a contract is 100% irrelevant until training camp opens. Kendricks would have had an identical amount of reps whether his deal was signed yesterday or on July 20. Boykin, similarly, won’t miss a second of time, especially since there is no way a 4th round pick holds out under the new system (or, rationally, under the prior system either).

Don’t worry about the presence or absence of rookie contracts until July. They DON’T MATTER IN MAY.

17. 17 deg0ey said at 10:12 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Would he not need a contract to go to the Rookie Minicamp that starts in 3 days time? Or the 3 OTAs that take place before June 7? Or the other Minicamp in the middle of June?

Or more specifically, is he not less likely to skip any of those things if he isn’t holding out?

18. 18 Sam Lynch said at 10:39 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Nope. He does not need a contract to attend any minicamp or OTAs. Teams give waivers that allow players injured in those events to collect their slot contracts anyway. For example, the Eagles have had many first round holdouts over the years. Not one has missed an OTA or a minicamp (unless they are on the quarter system academically).

A draft pick doesn’t need a contract until training camp opens.

19. 19 Eric Weaver said at 11:48 AM on May 9th, 2012:

That’s what I was thinking. I wasn’t sure what Tommy meant there besides the rookie possibly not having his head into it all without that contract signed. But that doesn’t seem to be where he was going with it.

20. 20 Aaron Yang said at 12:25 PM on May 9th, 2012:

ahhh…can you or tommy please explain this “quarter system academically” thing to me? cause i just read this on pe.com…
    “Harris, 5-11, 180, will be present at this weekend’s minicamps, but because of the quarters system at Oregon, he will be unable to attend the three OTAs scheduled for later this offseason (May 22-24, May 30-June 1, June 4-7).”

they made it seem so casual that he would miss ota’s and i really didnt understand why and what this quarters system thing is…can someone please explain this to me?

21. 21 Sam Lynch said at 12:38 PM on May 9th, 2012:

You can’t participate in OTAs until after your school’s graduation. That effectively means that players from schools on a quarters system, which typically have their graduations in June, will not be able to participate in OTAs, while a player from a school on a semester system, which typically have their graduations in May, will be able to participate.

22. 22 Aaron Yang said at 12:42 PM on May 9th, 2012:

ahhh okay…i understand now. thanks for the answer sam.

23. 23 rage114 said at 11:52 AM on May 9th, 2012:

I understand on the OTA’s and minicamps but does signing early meet he can be at the complex now 24/7 working on strength and conditioning?

24. 24 Sam Lynch said at 12:02 PM on May 9th, 2012:

No difference. In fact, the new CBA’s rules regarding offseason activities makes that even less relevant.

25. 25 nopain23 said at 10:47 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Ryans is basically going to be a coach out there on the field on Sundays.The guy has spent his entire career in the AFC preparing to play against P manning and T brady, arguably the best two quarterbacks in the NFL in the last decade.That kind of experiece is invaluable.He’s going to have guys line up in the right position so they can think less and thus play faster.Just think about it.he is going to diagnose plays and set up the defense to ATTACK not REACT to what the opponent is doing on offense.I know Tommy loves Rolle but I hope matthews wins the WLB position.Rumor has it he hit the weight rm with big brother and bulked up a bit,Rolle gets eaten up by big olinemen that get to the second level..which happens a lot in the wide 9 scheme we play.Playing next to Ryans will also help him to play at a better level.he’s more cerebral than Rolle as well.he also plays quicker than his 40 time.with ryans,matthews,kendricks you have a 3 guys who are smart,physical,instinctive and quick to the ball.LB becomes a position of strength intead of the debacle it was last year.

26. 26 JRO91 said at 1:00 PM on May 9th, 2012:

I would mind Casey in the base LB set and Rolle and Ryans in the nickel. Rolle’s speed would be an asset in nickel sets over Casey. Rolle isn’t afraid to tackle and stick his head in a pile.

27. 27 Skeptic_Eagle said at 11:45 AM on May 9th, 2012:

Hard to speculate intelligently about whether the defense is oversimplified, or if Ryans is just the consummate veteran MLB familiar with the similar concepts from previous experience. Either way, I don’t think he’s a BS’er, so I’m glad to hear he is prepared and confident. I hate to wish away my summer, but I’m looking forward to the Eagles opening kickoff in September!

28. 28 iskar36 said at 12:46 PM on May 9th, 2012:

I understand that Kendricks and Boykin are going to be battling for starting spots from day one (I’m calling the slot/nickle CB a starting spot, not saying he will push out DRC or anything like that). From that stand point, I understand the importance of them being signed and being put on the field as soon as possible, but has the NFL gotten to the point that outside of a QB (and even there it seems to be changing) where a first round pick doesn’t have the luxury of sitting on the bench and not pushing for significant playing time in year one? With the new system, I don’t expect signing to be a problem, even with first round picks, but to me, even though Cox and even Curry will be in a rotation, I expect them to have an impact in their first year, thus, I think they are just as important as Boykin in getting signed prior to TC.

29. 29 JRO91 said at 1:01 PM on May 9th, 2012:

I just can’t get over the fact we have a real, honest to god MLB!!!! I knew these things existed in the NFL but hadn’t seen one in so long, I forgot what they looked like.

30. 30 bridgecoach said at 1:16 PM on May 9th, 2012:

I can easily see a wide-9 base defensive linebacker lineup of Kendricks, Ryans, Chaney. I’m becoming more and more of the opinion that the 4-3 LB roles of Will and Sam are becoming more blurred – with more teams going to two-TE formations and within the wide-9 in particular. Both OLBs need to have the skill sets to play either role. Im surprised when I hear Andy Reid discussing a SAM or a WILL; because it looks to me like we have Left and Right LBs instead in base formations. When the TE switches sides – do our LBs cross? I haven’t seen that.

31. 31 Cvd52 said at 1:49 PM on May 9th, 2012:

Dez and Austin are two pretty good WRs, throw Witten in there and the 3Rd WR doesn’t have to b a stud to be successful.

I’m curious, would most rather have our WR/TE or Dallas’s?

32. 32 Cvd52 said at 1:58 PM on May 9th, 2012:

Birds just signed a few more picks. Mccnut, Kelly and curry

33. 33 dandynator said at 2:02 PM on May 9th, 2012:

Hey Tommy !
    I’ve read yesterday that the father of MK was a former RB (eagles rookie in76-78)… thx Spuds. that’s probably where his freakish athletic abilities come from. My question to you about Kendricks is does his short height and shorter arms makes it harder for him to shed blocks or is shedding blocks more about strenght ?

Thx

34. 34 the guy said at 2:02 PM on May 9th, 2012:

Totally OT:

Have you been wondering what Marlon Favorite has been doing since leaving the Eagles, like I have? Well, wonder no more…

35. 35 TommyLawlor said at 3:01 PM on May 9th, 2012:

You are banished from the village for making fun of the great Marlon Favorite. That’s clearly not him. He would have gotten 6 inches closer to the rim.

36. 36 T_S_O_P said at 3:32 PM on May 9th, 2012:

3 more signed, new entry please. 🙂

37. 37 GeorgeFleep said at 3:34 PM on May 9th, 2012:

Is this an ideal LB Scenario: SAM: Kendricks, Chaney MLB: Ryans, Mathews WIL: Rolle, Clayton

38. 38 iskar36 said at 3:42 PM on May 9th, 2012:

I don’t know how Tommy views it, but personally, I would rather have Mathews challenging Rolle for WIL and have Clayton fighting for the 3rd spot. As for Chaney, I think he needs to challenge Kendricks at SAM, but assuming Kendricks wins that spot, I would move Chaney back to MLB behind Ryans. Really, Chaney would be the primary backup at both MLB and SAM, but I I think the focus should be MLB, not SAM.

39. 39 GeorgeFleep said at 4:04 PM on May 9th, 2012:

If Chaney bulked up does that mean the eagles plan for him to ply WLB or MLB?

EDIT: i mean mathews

40. 40 nopain23 said at 4:30 PM on May 9th, 2012:

Agreed.I say chaney primarily as a back up.he’s proven he’s not starter material.Casey i think will play better this year.Playing next to coach/cap Ryans is going to help him out big time.

41. 41 T_S_O_P said at 4:32 PM on May 9th, 2012:

I like your new Fan-Demonium article. I’m looking forward to the LB battles. Between Matthews, Chaney, Rolle and Clayton, I think we squeeze out a good LB and maybe a spare too.