Woooooooooooo!!! Eagles go undefeated in the preseason. Super Bowl, here we come.
We beat a crappy Jets team. We beat a crappy Browns team. Our starters beat the Pats backups. Our scrubs got the best of the Steelers scrubs. That = 4-0. Fun, but meaningless.
Here are my quick thoughts on the Jets game and the roster.
* Trent Edwards has been terrific in the preseason. The one thing you have to focus on is this…what did he show you that would translate to a real game? Could what he did in the PS work in the regular season? Was he throwing the ball into tight windows? Were the passes downfield? How would he adjust to the speed of the game? And so on. I’ll watch this closely when I re-watch the game, but I have my doubts.
* Chris Polk had a terrific game and may have played his way onto the roster. I thought he looked faster than previous games. Still was tough and physical.
* Jaiquawn Jarrett is a new guy. He played his best game of the preseason. Legitimately good. Had a couple of physical tackles early. Later on helped stuff a 3rd/1 play for no gain. Looked good in coverage. Showed up on STs. He is playing smart football. He looks confident. Tonight he was aggressive and showed some of his potential as a physical player. He will make the team.
* Brian Rolle was up and down. He looked terrific at times. He blew up a couple of runs. He appeared to get lost in coverage a couple of times. Got better there as the game went along. Didn’t win back his job, but I cannot see him getting cut. Rolle isn’t great to be sure, but he was a functional starter last year. He can play run defense.
* That leads me to Keenan Clayton. For the love of god, someone please turn this guy into a SS. He is not meant to be a LB. Good STer. Can hit and tackle in space. I have waited for him to be more physical for 3 summers. Hasn’t happened yet. Good player, but would be a disaster as a starting LB.
* Demetress Bell must hate Eagles QBs, RBs. He certainly lets them get hit by his guys enough. He’s just a mess right now.
* Dennis Kelly played RT in the 1st half and LT in the 2nd half. Good game. Didn’t look lost at LT.
* DJ Jones played RT in the 2nd half. He did look lost. Struggled on that side. He has played well at LT.
* Emil Igwenagu played pretty well. Could be a PS candidate.
* Chase Ford had a good block on Brown’s TD run. Also 2-24 as a receiver.
* The DL was simply sensational. They had 6 sacks, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. Jets QBs struggled all night due to pressure. They had to run quite a bit. It was great to see the DL get consistent pressure, despite no starters playing and little to no blitzing. They just attacked over and over and over.
* DE Monte Taylor really stood out to me. He had 1 sack, but was regularly disruptive. He is so tall and long, but is just a natural in the Wide-9. He takes 2 steps upfield and can already reach for the QB. I’m starting to get worried about cutting him and trying to get him on the practice squad. I don’t want to over-hype the guy, but 6-5 DEs that can turn and bend are tough to find. Eagles got very lucky with him.
* Vinny Curry had 2 sacks and looked good.
* Frank Trotter had 2 sacks, both of the hustle variety. He played a lot in the 1st half. Do the Eagles like him more than Ollie Ogbu?
* Ryan Rau had a very good game. He had 5 solo stops. Once again showed good instincts. Got to the ball quickly. Good tackler. Be careful with the hype. Rau might have played his way onto the PS, but I do not think he’s shown roster type ability.
* OJ Atogwe got hurt. I think he’s done. Only a hamstring injury, but the guy just can’t stay healthy.
* Phillip Thomas played pretty well, but didn’t make any plays. Wasn’t credited with any tackles. Gotta check the tape on him.
* Alex Henery missed a FG. Not sure why.
* I don’t know what to make of Chas Henry. Only averaged 33 yards per punt, but 3 were downed inside the 20. That generally means a short field.
* Oh yeah…Nick Foles. Did you think I forgot about him? 4-6-46. Only played a couple of drives because Demetress Bell was using a blocking optional style at LT tonight. Plus, Andy Reid felt it would be taunting the Jets to let them face Foles too much. This would be their first sighting of a real QB all summer.