Bo Wulf interviewed Adam Caplan for PE.com on the coaching situation and Adam offered a few nuggets of interest.
* Penn State fans will be happy to know that Caplan thinks Bill O’Brien will stay at PSU for a long time. Caplan never thought BOB had interest in leaving, but that his agent wanted him to look around since his stock wouldn’t get much higher.
* Caplan says the Eagles never made a contract offer to Chip Kelly. Caplan made it sound like the 9-hour meeting was a mixture of the Eagles selling Kelly on the job, but also the Eagles figuring out if he is the guy they would hire.
Just today I heard a rumor (and I stress “rumor”) that the Eagles were a bit nervous with some of Kelly’s answers about putting together a coaching staff and his thoughts on defense at the NFL level. No idea if that’s actually true.
* Caplan says he’s heard nothing about Mike Zimmer and the Eagles. Also made Mike Nolan sound like a longshot.
* No real insight on Mike McCoy.
* Caplan likes Bruce Arians. Thinks he deserves a shot with some team (didn’t push for Eagles to hire him).
* Caplan said pretty good things about Jay Gruden. Question isn’t if he becomes a HC, but when.
* Bo Wulf asked for a time frame with the situation and Caplan said he would expect the Eagles to start doing some 2nd interviews as early as the end of the week. Obviously the team still needs to meet with Gruden, Arians, and Gus Bradley. Hopefully they can get that done in the next few days. Caplan made it sound like a decision could come some time next week. Obviously that’s just a prediction. There are too many moving parts in this situation for anyone to know how it will play out right now.
* * * * *
Sorry the site went into italics on Monday. No idea what happened. Probably Bobby April’s fault.