VISITS TO PHILLY (most important)
* QB Matt Scott – Arizona … also scheduled to work him out in Arizona
* LB Tank Carradine – Florida State (medical issues)
* DL Star Lotulelei – Utah (medical issues)
* DL Shariff Floyd – Florida
* OT Eric Fisher – Central Michigan
* RB Marcus Lattimore – South Carolina (medical issues)
Visits / Private Workouts
* QB Geno Smith – West Virginia
* QB EJ Manuel – Florida State
* QB Zac Dysert – Miami OH
* RB Kerwynn Williams – Utah State
* RB Knile Davis – Arkansas
* WR Tavon Austin – West Virginia
* TE Vance McDonald – Rice
* TE Matt Furstenburg – Maryland
* TE Chris Gragg – Arkansas
* OT Justin Pugh – Syracuse
* C Khaled Holmes – USC
* LS Kevin McDermott – UCLA
* DE Abry Jones – Georgia
* LB Mike Catapano – Princeton
* LB Jarvis Jones – Georgia
* ILB Alec Ogletree – Georgia
* ILB Kiko Alonso – Oregon
* ILB Michael Clay – Oregon
* FS Phillip Thomas – Fresno State
* CB Sanders Commings – Georgia
* CB Brandon McGee – Miami
* Chip Kelly attended the Pro Day for Georgia and LSU … multiple defensive prospects on each team
* WR Marquise Goodwin – Texas … scouts or coaches attended Pro Day, focused on Goodwin
* WR Aaron Dobson – Marshall … WR coach Bob Bicknell was at his Pro Day
* WR Ryan Swope – Texas A&M … WR coach Bob Bicknell was at his Pro Day
* WR Damian Ford – Stillman College … showing interest
* WR Josh Boyce – TCU … WR coach Bob Bicknell was at his Pro Day
* WR Sky Dawson – TCU … WR coach Bob Bicknell was at his Pro Day
* TE Gavin Escobar – San Diego State … team sent TEs coach to his Pro Day
* ILB Jake Knott – Iowa State … Eagles scout attended Pro Day, focused on ILBs
* ILB A.J. Klein – Iowa State … Eagles scout attended Pro Day, focused on ILBs
* CB Blidi Breh-Wilson – UConn … DBs coach at his Pro Day
* CB Dwayne Gratz – UConn … DBs coach at his Pro Day
* LS P.J. Mangieri – Nebraska … scout closely watched him at Pro Day
Small School/non-BCS Pro Days attended by Eagles scouts
* New Hampshire (DL Jared Smith)
* CaPa (FS Rontez Miles, C Eric Kush)
* Eastern Kentucky (WR Tyrone Goard)
* Arkansas State
* Lehigh (WR Ryan Spadola)
* Penn (LB Brandon Copeland)
* You can find links to many of the articles over at EaglesBlog.net.
* * * * *
I did not list Senior Bowl / Combine info. Need to go back and work on that side of things.
* * * * *
As for the info above, here’s how that breaks down.
Prospects cannot workout at the team’s facility. If a player comes to Philly, that is strictly as a meeting and/or physical. There are no drills or football activities. The Eagles are only allowed to bring in 30 players so these visits are the most important. The Eagles bring in players every year that they have no interest in as part of a smokescreen effort. Local kids (from within 100 miles) are allowed to visit without it counting against the 30-player limit.
There are visits that take place on campus. These are much less formal.
Most times the team sends someone to campus it is to work out the prospect. This can be tied to the Pro Day or an individual workout.
Why do all of this after the season, Senior Bowl, and Combine? You’re trying to get a bit of additional info. Maybe the coach wants to see how the player handles a technique the Eagles use. Maybe the coach simply wants to get to know the player’s personality. You will be paying the prospect 6 or 7 figures. If he’s lazy or rude or awkward in a workout, that’s a hint you maybe should look elsewhere.
The team is showing serious interest when they send a positional assistant coach to check out a player. This doesn’t mean the player needs to be a star, though. The team can just have a couple of final questions they want answered. The Eagles sent RBs coach Ted Williams to take a look at Bryce Brown last year. The question was whether he was draftable. Williams came back raving and that led to the pick.
There is something called local Pro Day where the Eagles can bring in local prospects to the NovaCare and have them work out. This wouldn’t be star players, but maybe a Temple kid they have interest in or someone from Villanova. The Eagles are very secretive about this so I don’t know if any players have come out of local Pro Day.
* * * * *
Does the list work? Yes.
* QB Nick Foles – Arizona
* WR/RS Damaris Johnson – Tulsa
* DE Vinny Curry – Marshall (worked out by Jim Washburn)
* DT Fletcher Cox – Miss State (worked out by Jim Washburn)
* FS Phillip Thomas – Syracuse
* RB Bryce Brown – Kansas State
The Eagles met with Mychal Kendricks at the Combine.
I’m pretty sure the Eagles met with Brandon Boykin at the Senior Bowl.