Just some random stuff for today.
* A reader asked what I have against Star Lotulelei. Nothing. Darn good football player and I won’t be mad for a second if the Eagles take him. I do think there is some confusion with Star. People think he is a massive run-stuffer. Not so. Star is 6-3, 311. He has the frame to be 330 and carry it well, but for now he’s got solid size.
As to being a run-stuffer…not really. Star is at his best when he is allowed to attack. He times his get-off well and is able to fire into the backfield and be very disruptive. The Eagles are planning to do some 2-gapping in the base defense. This negates what makes Star special. He can anchor vs the run, but it isn’t a specialty. I think you could draft John Jenkins in the 3rd round and get someone more suited for that role.
There are 2 key points here, though. As I wrote the other day, we don’t know the Eagles long term plans. If they plan to go 4-3 Under and let the 5-tech DE get upfield, then Star would be an excellent fit. Also, he could be ideal as the 1-tech NT in the Nickel and Dime packages. That would let Fletcher Cox be the 3-tech and the Eagles would be very good up the middle.
If the Eagles like Lotulelei a lot and have the right plans on how to use him, I am fine with that pick.
* There is no player I’ll be mad about, even Geno Smith. If Chip Kelly and Howie Roseman believe in the guy, I’m willing to trust them. We went 4-12 last year. We have lots of areas that need help. Adding an OT would make sense. Adding an impact player to the front seven makes sense. If they want to roll the dice on Tavon Austin, I’ll be okay with that. There is no player that will just frustrate the heck out of me.
Maybe the most disappointing pick to me would be Eric Fisher. Why? When you make the simple statement that the Eagles went 4-12 and that gave us the left tackle from Central Michigan…it just sounds depressing. I know Fisher is a good player, but there is nothing compelling about him. I’m not saying taking him would be bad at all. I value OL . Fisher is a very good prospect. I just happen to have him third among the OTs. Mike Mayock has him #1 overall. I value Joeckel because I think he’s the top pass blocker and played better competition and in bigger games. I love Lane Johnson because of his athleticism and upside.
* Some of you have asked for me to talk about more than just the first couple of rounds. I’m still working on draft prospects. I watch tape everyday on some late round guys. Getting stuff written isn’t as easy.
* Somebody asked me about the Eagles trading with the Falcons. There are rumors they want to move way up and will pay a steep price. They did that a couple of years back to get Julio Jones. There is no Julio Jones type prospect in this draft class, but Atlanta is pushing for the Super Bowl and might covet a CB or DE.
I doubt I would move all the way down to 30. The one thing that would tempt me is if they included their 1st rounder next year. The 2014 draft could have some great targets near the top. Having a pair of 1st rounders could be huge if you wanted to move up for a certain player. Still, dropping way back isn’t ideal and I’d probably pass on that.
* Reportedly the Dolphins are getting closer and closer to trading for LT Branden Albert. That would take away a trade partner.