The preseason is over. The coaches and personnel staff now have the tough task of choosing the initial 53-man roster.
Tonight’s game vs the Jets gave a few answers, but let’s be honest. There are some situations where things just aren’t clear. While guys like Emmanuel Acho and Chris McCoy showed they belong on the roster, other players didn’t jump out enough to settle anything. Do you go with Greg Salas or Russell Shepard? We know the top 7 OL right now, but do you keep Danny Watkins, Michael Bamiro and/or Matt Tobin? Do you like any of them enough to keep them?
I need some time to figure out my projections.
* Russell Shepard might just make the team as a STer. Key question to think about right now…aside from Shepard, who would be your gunners on the punt team? Colt Anderson is one. Brandon Boykin? You can make an argument that Sheppard is the 2nd best gunner on the team and should be kept for that reason.
* Chip Kelly didn’t make it sound like Danny Watkins had much of a chance. Chip mentioned Danny doing good and bad things. He also talked about the need for backups to be versatile. Danny isn’t.
* I thought OLB Adrian Robinson played hard tonight. He played with a sense of desperation, but only after struggling for the Steelers. So many UDFAs that make a team one year struggle to keep that edge and it costs them in the future.
* WR Jeff Maehl had a good game, but I don’t see him making a serious push for the roster. I’m not sure what will happen at WR. It’s possible the Eagles will only keep 4 of their own guys and will then look around for a 5th from some other team.
* Jordan Poyer has stepped up in the last 2 weeks, but I’m not sure I’d want him on the team right now. A year on the practice squad would be perfect for him.
* Great point by Bo Wulf and Adam Caplan in regard to Dennis Dixon. There might be value in keeping him on the practice squad so that he can help in practice when you’re going to face a mobile QB like RG3 or Kaepernick.
So who are you guys sold on? Who do you think has to go?