Chiefs-Eagles Preview

Posted: September 19th, 2013 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 78 Comments »

Hello, old friend. Big Red and his 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs are in town to play the Eagles. I hate Thursday night games, but I do love the matchup and I’m excited to see the teams battle it out.

KC thumped the Jags in the opener and then beat Dallas in an ugly game last Sunday. The Chiefs are playing very good defense and smart offense. QB Alex Smith is the game manager that Reid never had in Philly. Smith hasn’t thrown an INT yet and he does a good job of running the offense and making smart plays.

The downside is that KC isn’t getting big plays. The longest run is 18 yards. The longest pass is 31 yards. Smith averages 5.7 yards per attempt, which is awful. Tons of short passes.

The Chiefs are 26th in yards per game. They are 16th in points per game. They’re toward the bottom in yards per play, with just 4.8 yards per each snap. Not good. The Eagles are up at 7.1 yards per play.

Defense is another story. The Chiefs are 3rd overall. They generate pressure up front. They cover well. They tackle well. This is a talented group, that also plays smart, disciplined football. You might think of them as the opposite of the Eagles.

I’m late this week so I’m not going to write a super-long preview.

WHEN THE EAGLES HAVE THE BALL

The Jags have an awful offense, the worst in the NFL. Dallas is 24th in yards per game. Is this because they played the Chiefs or are the Chiefs a bit overrated on D because of who they played? It’s a bit of both, I think. Watching the Dallas offense was painful. There was no imagination. Players weren’t getting the ball in space. It was like Jason Garrett expected his guys to win 1-on-1 matchups all game long. And they didn’t.

Dallas also didn’t spread KC out. That helped KC with some of their overload blitzes. The Eagles will spread them out. That should make it easier to see who is coming and where the danger spots are. Chip Kelly will force the Chiefs to play in space, which always gives the offense an advantage. Dallas wasn’t able to make tacklers miss. I think Shady and DeSean will be able to. And Vick’s running will be an X-factor. Romo didn’t do anything on the ground last week.

I’m excited to see which unit that is highly ranked appears to be better…the Eagles offense or Chiefs defense. I give the Eagles an advantage, simply because modern football is so hard on the defense with all the rules.

If you want to make things very simple, controlling the line of scrimmage will be key. Vick is a very good QB when you give him a clean pocket. The Chiefs have good pass rushers, but the Eagles have good blockers. Which of those groups will win?

I have no idea what to expect from KC in terms of strategy. WAS got burned by the run so SD focused on that and got burned by the pass. I would guess the Chiefs focus on stopping the run and make Vick beat them, but that is just a guess.

WHEN THE CHIEFS HAVE THE BALL

Big Red will throw the ball a lot. And that’s bad news for the Eagles, who struggle on the back end. Reid can be very good with the short passing game, when he’s willing to stick with it. He loves to be more vertical, but Alex Smith lacks the arm to make those throws consistently.

The Eagles must pressure Smith. They don’t need a bunch of sacks, but just get into the backfield and affect him. He doesn’t have a great arm so you can hurt the passing game by forcing him to throw off-balance and from a busy pocket.

I think the return of Bradley Fletcher will help the Eagles defense. That puts Brandon Boykin in the slot and allows the Eagles to be better off in each area.

The DBs must do a better job with rub routes and pick plays. Last week defenders were hitting each other or moving to avoid each other and leaving receivers wide open. Reid is great with designing those kinds of routes. There isn’t anything overly complicated about them. The DBs need to be aware of what’s going on and communicate well. Let’s hope they learned a lesson on Sunday that helps tonight.

I wish I could tell you that I expect to see Vinny Curry active, but I’m doubting that happens. (fingers crossed that Bill Davis proves me wrong)

I hope that Davis realizes he must play Brandon Graham more. Graham has been solid on STs. He was quiet on defense last week, but needs regular snaps to get into any kind of rhythm and play well. If the defense isn’t getting to the QB, try someone else.

Mychal Kendricks had a bad game Sunday. A big bounce-back effort from him would be key. He can blitz, cover and make plays. The defense needs that.

Last week Smith was almost picked off twice, but defenders dropped the passes. The Eagles have multiple takeaways in consecutive games. If they can make that 3 in a row, it will certainly help with winning.

SPECIAL TEAMS

The Chiefs were sloppy last week. They had multiple bad snaps. They tried to pin Dallas deep with a punt and it was fair caught at the 16. Another punt worked great and was pinned deep, but there was an illegal touching that moved it out to the 20. A returner mis-handled a KO. They had a FG blocked. The Eagles should have an advantage here.

Matt Bowen wrote a terrific post on the Chiefs offense and the X’s and O’s behind Reid’s offense.

If you want to see Jimmy Bama look like a serial killer while doing a video preview of the game, go here.

He gave good info, but looked like a Hannibal Lecter wannabe.

Dr. Bama wrote some stuff on the game as well.

Quid pro quo, Dr. Bama.

Sheil Kapadia, who looks like a nice, safe, solid citizen, wrote his cheat sheets for the Chiefs game.

Eagles offense

Eagles defense

As to the return of Reid and McNabb, I covered that angle for my PE.com piece.

My prediction is that the fans give a warm welcome to Reid and McNabb. They are Eagles legends. Things weren’t perfect, but those guys deserve to be honored for their great accomplishments.

You are allowed to laugh after the game about Reid’s refusal to run the ball. You are allowed to laugh when Donovan goes on Twitter and says “Since the Vikings are 0-2, should they bench Adrian Peterson? Let me know your thoughts.”

But celebrate both guys tonight before and during the game.

Eagles legends.

78 Comments on “Chiefs-Eagles Preview”

1. 1 BC1968 said at 12:08 PM on September 19th, 2013:

It’s weird now that Andy has a great defense and a mediocre offense, kind of like Brian Billick in Baltimore who was brought in as an offensive genius but won because of his defense. Where it’s obvious that this offense that we have is all on the coach who of course was handed some great weapons and a healthy offensive line. So anyways, i don’t what my point is….

2. 2 ACViking said at 2:21 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Give the Chiefs time on offense. They have some talented linemen, a very good WR in Bowe, and a great HB.

But I think the QB though has to play lights out to make this a 24 ppg offense.

Back in the 2000-03 era, the Eagles had a good backs, no WRs but a pretty damn good QB.

More meaningless proof the NFL is a QB league.

3. 3 GEagle said at 6:07 PM on September 19th, 2013:

They do have nice ingredients but will need some time. Not sold that Alex is the answer, but he could be…KC will run into some great QBs in the playoffs once they make it back, and they would have to have a seriously stacked offense to overcome a limit game manager like Alex who will be facing spectacular QBs

4. 4 OregonDucker said at 12:10 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Chiefs receivers need to be bumped hard in the 5yrd region to disrupt their timing. We need exotic blitz packages, loops and delays, to confuse Smith and the OL.

Chip needs to run up the score which he will. Run the “Emory & Henry” as well as the Celek option. Here is the “Emory & Henry” http://bruceeien.com/bcwarrior/Offense/byu/BYU.HTM

Show NO MERCY! Smash ’em!

5. 5 GEagle said at 12:53 PM on September 19th, 2013:

man I’m nervous. We can Not lose this game, it would be really really bad. half of this fanbase would lose its mind, doom an gloom would spad through the Del valley…Falling to 1-2 going to Denevr is horrible. the Chiefs are going to come in and play their ass off for Andy. I had to stomach watching McNabb come to the linc and “lead lol” the redskins to a win and I don’t think I could stomach that tonight with Andy. This one is for the Fans, get a damn win at home please and stop this dreadful home losing streak tonight. I really hope our players answer the bell, come out Fired up and executing smart football..it’s only week 3 and I’m already feeling this type of pressure. We need this win. like we really really need this win..
    attack Fisher, test Brandon Alberts shoulder, beat down that young interior Line…I like the way Cary matches up with Bowe and how Fletcher matches up with Avery…Our offense needs to successfully use tempo to wear this defense down….Hopefully Earl Wolff grows drastically with each game..

I hope tonight is the night that Vinny Vurry gets unleashed. When he does finally get unleashed, I want His first game to be at home

6. 6 OregonDucker said at 1:02 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Wolff needs to grow up! Because Andy is going deep to test this secondary. As you said above, stop the stupid penalties! Play smart football.

I have a feeling, intuition or whatever, that Chip is going to rip apart the Chiefs D. It’s kind of a “duckie feeling” like when the Ducks played USC.

7. 7 GEagle said at 1:09 PM on September 19th, 2013:

That’s what I’m talking about Ducker!! Times like this is when us Jaded lifelong Negadelphians need our new brothers in green to pick us up….Like I’m seriously nervous and scared. I don’t fear the Cheifs, I fear losing to Andy especially(knowing how this fanbase and city would take it).. with Peyton next…Hopefully our players don’t feel this way. Hopefully Chip has that confidence high and we aren’t uptight playing not to lose. Rip their hearts out Early!! If the Offense can do what it does, and click early on..and the defense can get off the field on the first two drives….then we can really get off to the races against a QB like Alex who will take care of the ball, but he won’t go out there and put his team on his back and win games…
    ….
    I got so pumped watching Inside the NFL last night, they showed the Eagles walking thru the tunnel to get on the field, all the players are pumped up and you hear guys like Desean and I think it was Shady, screaming “Track Meet” as we enter the field….It’s up to Chip, Desean,hady,Meco and Cary to keep this teams swagger up even when we face adversity

8. 8 BlindChow said at 4:48 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I don’t know, a couple more losses and even the Ducks fans won’t be so optimistic…

9. 9 GEagle said at 6:11 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I expect to win this division. I know we have to be much better in November and Decemberthen we are today to accomplish that…but Kelly ruined any grace period I was willing to give him when he decided to start a 33yr old QB on a 1yr deal…I now expect the Eagles to win the division….I think we have the right coaches who will keep these guys focused, and when things are so new, I expect showing improvement as the season Goes on to be a given as long as catastrophic injuries don’t pile up… And I don’t believe any pro team should not have winning division as their goal as long as its a realistic possibility…and in our week division, I really don’t think it’s setting the bar too high even in year 1

10. 10 ACViking said at 2:44 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Easy, GEagle . . .

The Washington football club started 3-6 last year and Shanahan was talking about how heartless his team was.

Next thing you know, that team to the South got on a roll, win a few games they shouldn’t and . . . voila, the Rams end up with a lousy 1st Rd pick.
    It’s a long season.

And — if I may presume to translate your comment — what you’re looking for is regular improvement.

11. 11 GEagle said at 5:54 PM on September 19th, 2013:

It’s not me that I’m worried about…it’s about how this city will react to the loss. I like the energy we are feeding this team right now, and I dread the negativity that will rain onto this team if we don’t show the fans enough success…Majority of this fanbase isn’t as rational as Igglesblitz readers…I won’t be down just because we start off 1-3, but I’m in no mood for the negativity of the city. I’m enjoying this energy too much…I don’t fear a 1-3 record. I don’t fear KC, I fear a loss to Andy. Even if we were 14-1 having alady clinched home field throughout, I would still feel this way

12. 12 Daniel Norman Richwine said at 12:23 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I find it interesting how similar the Eagles are to Green Bay. Almost unstoppable on offense, very vulnerable on defense, both 1-1, both beating Washington and both losing to 1-1 teams.

13. 13 TommyLawlor said at 12:46 PM on September 19th, 2013:

We each have a Matthews brother!!!

How could you forget that?

14. 14 Daniel Norman Richwine said at 12:48 PM on September 19th, 2013:

With a great deal of effort and not a little alcohol…

15. 15 GEagle said at 12:54 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I demand a DNA test!! ….End up seeing Casey and his dad on Maury Povich with Maury announcing “You are NOT the father” as Mr. father Mathews starts crip walking and dancing all over the stage in celebration!!!

16. 16 GEagle said at 12:26 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Finally I get to talk about this game. It’s like all week, no matter where I turn,it’s either dwelling and analyzing a painful loss to the chargers or talking about the return of Tweedle D and Tweedle Dumb, when I don’t give a damn about either. I waited about 5 years to get to the point where we could turn the page and have a new coach and QB..Finally the new era is on us, and I have to celebrate these two during the 3rd game of the season? a HUGE game, not wanting to fall to 1-2 with Denver on the horizon. I will give Andy a roaming round of applause, but I won’t cheer McNabb. I won’t Boo McNabb either(remain neutral)…but I’m definitely not gong to support him having his number retired when he doesn’t even come close to deserving it….all the talk is about those two, when in reality what I’m looking forward to tonight is Dawkins being in the building and hosting the celebration.

keys for the game:
    1) Clean up offensive penalties, take care of the ball and win the turnover margin.

2) Celek needs to burn KC early with a couple of big plays down the seem so that they can’t glue Berry on LeSean all game, and the other safety on Desean…Celek has to make them pay early in the game and attack the center of the field…I would also try to get some snaps with Browner or Sean Smith on Damaris Johnson. if he can get passed them Jamming him at the Line, his quickness should be able to explode either of them

17. 17 Scott said at 12:38 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Thing to remember about tonight: Red and McNabb raised expectations here to ludicrous levels, not the other way around.

18. 18 TommyLawlor said at 12:45 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Interesting point.

19. 19 Conor Mc Namara said at 12:58 PM on September 19th, 2013:

So this game is on at half 1 in the morning, Irish time, work at 7:30 .. Coffee sales going through the roof then guys…

Great to see Reid and Mc Nabb back but as somebody said on Twitter I can’t said to hear the roar when KC uses a 1Q timeout

20. 20 TommyLawlor said at 1:12 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Truly a dedicated fan. Let’s hope the Eagles reward you with a big win.

21. 21 Conor Mc Namara said at 2:10 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I’d be perfectly happy with 2-0… As long as its a win

22. 22 GermanEagle said at 2:59 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Here. Here.

23. 23 Crus57 said at 1:22 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I’m in the UK – I’m pretty sure I can make it to kickoff.. not sure I’ll get to half time.

Let’s hope we blow them out in the first half so we get a chance of some early sleep.

24. 24 Conor Mc Namara said at 1:27 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Nap time from 9 until half 1, get up watch the game, big breakfast, do my 12 hour shift, home and sleep for the entire weekend… Rinse and repeat

25. 25 Ollivier said at 3:35 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Almost the same thing in Paris 🙂 I willtry to sleep a couple of hours before the game but I won’t miss my Eagles !!!

26. 26 Conor Mc Namara said at 3:58 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Tiredness is for the weak.. we can do this

27. 27 aub32 said at 1:49 PM on September 19th, 2013:

To understand just how bad Smith’s 5.7 ypa actually is, he is averaging 6.1 yards per rushing attempt. I think our defnse that is built on making the tackle after *cough* allowing the catch is a good match up for them. If our offense can get an early lead to take away Jamaal Chqarles and the run game, we should be fine.

28. 28 Matthew Verhoog said at 2:47 PM on September 19th, 2013:

That’sChristian Ponder like

29. 29 BlindChow said at 4:43 PM on September 19th, 2013:

They might not need an early lead to take away the run game. They’d only need to take the field. Reid will handle the rest.

30. 30 anon said at 2:29 PM on September 19th, 2013:

To be fair, we lost a really close game to a team that almost beat the Texans. The Texans are a playoff calibur team. Philip Rivers is twice the QB Alex Smith is. I think our D will bounce back after last game. And our offense will always keep us around. Hopefully gone are the days of us getting blown out week by week b/c of turnovers / poor play. Cut down on the penalties / improve clock management and we win that game. We fix those two things and we win this game too.

31. 31 ACViking said at 3:34 PM on September 19th, 2013:

In 1972, the Eagles went 2-11-1 . . . with one win against the KC Chiefs — coming off a ’71 playoff appearance in the 2nd greatest NFL playoff game ever (longest overtime game), and a near qualifier in the 4-team playoff system then in place in ’72.

I’m not sure how much to take away from who the Eagles have beaten or to whom the Birds lost — and their respective losses to other teams.

Respectfully, I think it’s about the Eagles showing improvement every week.

And doing exactly as you said.

32. 32 BlindChow said at 4:41 PM on September 19th, 2013:

One thing about turnovers: if Vick starts to believe the defense will let the team down every time they take the field, he might start trying to do too much on his own, ultimately turning the ball over instead of throwing it away or taking a sack. It’s happened before…

33. 33 Mac said at 2:52 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Random revelation today:

You can’t spell Asomugha without UGH.

Carry on…

34. 34 ACViking said at 3:25 PM on September 19th, 2013:

But there’s no “I” in Asomugha.

35. 35 GermanEagle said at 3:01 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I don’t know why, but this game could go in either direction. That being said: Eagles 41, Chiefs 0

36. 36 Mac said at 3:16 PM on September 19th, 2013:

This could easily be the score if Lurie is smart enough to enlist the Philadelphia mounted police to help with the game.

37. 37 ACViking said at 3:24 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Out on a Limb, eh?

Not me. The burns and broken bones I suffered from my eval on the SD make it impossible for me to sit down.

38. 38 ACViking said at 3:23 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Re: “The Trade”

T-Law,

Certainly off topic, but this kind of trade is an NFL rarity.

I’m curious as to your, and everyone else’s, reaction — while taking a moment or two away from breaking down our hopes and dreams about tonight — to to the Colts-Browns trade. [Let’s assume the Eagles refused to part with Bryce Brown or Chris Polk — neither of whom would have called for a 1st rounder.]

I’m most interested in the anticipated use of the extra 1st round pick, likely in the late teens to 20s, by Browns’ CEO Banner and GM Mike Lombardi
    _______________

RE: Richardson . . . given that Norv Turner’s the OC, either his opinion is worth ZERO over there, since he loves a bell-cow RB, or he too found Richardson — like Ingram in N.O. — a product of the ‘Bama system.

I can’t see the Browns parting with Richardson if Turner’d said the kid was special.
    _______________

One other item about the Browns’ GM Mike Lombardi — native son of Ocean City, New Jersey.

He’s, presumably, the Browns chief talent evaluator. Lombardi was with Banner in Philadelphia from ’97-’98, first as a consultant to the front office and then as Dir – Pro Personnel, working with new Eagles GM Tom Modrak. Lombardi left after the ’98 season for the Oakland, where he had the title of Sr. Personnel Exec.

Lombardi broke into the NFL as a scout for the ’49ers under Bill Walsh from 84-’86 (then off to the Rams as Dir-Pro Personnel in ’87) . . . three truly GREAT years of draft work by San Francisco. Lombardi had a hand in those drafts, though how much is unclear.

Here’s what SF did in those three drafts

In ’84, the ’49ers selected: starting TE John Frank (2 SBs – became a dentist), starting Pro Bowl G Guy McIntyre (4 SBs), starting All Pro NT Michael Carter (3 SBs), and eventual starter SS Jeff Fuller (3 SBs).

In ’85, the ’49ers chose: HOF WR Jerry Rice (3 SBs), starting OG Bruce Collie (2 SBs).

In ’86 . . . the 2nd greatest draft of all time — behind the Steelers ’74 draft of Four HOFers in WRS Swann & Stallworth, MLB Jack Lambert, and C Mike Webster) — the 49ers, w/ no 1st round pick, walked away with: occasional starter DE Larry Roberts (2 SBs), starting FB Tom Rathman (3 SBs), starting CB Tim McKyer (2 SBs w/ SF, 1 SB w/ Den), All Pro / possible HOFer DE Charles “Elephant Man” Haley (2 SBs w/ SF, 3 SBs w/ Dallas), starting OT Steve Wallace (3 SBs), starting DT Kevin Fagan (2 SBs), and starting CB Don Griffin (2 SBs).

As for his Eagles’ tenure from ’97-’98, the team added traded for DE Hugh Douglass and added free agents OLB Mike Caldwell, CB Al Harris, TE Chad Lewis — as well as S Matt Stevens, DT Steve Martin, OL George Hegamin, WR Jeff Graham, C Steve Everitt, DT Bill Johnson, and PK Chris Boniol.

Again, not clear what Lombardi’s role was in the acquisition of the very valuable Hugh Douglass and solid contributors like Harris and Caldwell — or the folks whom Andy Reid axed like Bill Johnson and Steve Everitt.

Anyway, Lombardi appears to be Banner’s key adviser on personnel decisions.

But the Browns look to be playing for next year . . . and fighting JAX for the right to choose among Teddy Bridgewater, T-Boyd, maybe M-Mariotta. But I don’t see how, with Cleveland and JAX likely at the top, Clowney’s the top pick. (A trade for Clowney could happen but no team in need of a QB would be smart to move a spot or two — assuming this crop of QBs is the real deal.)

39. 39 RobNE said at 4:01 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I think it’s a great move by the Browns. With Richardson maybe the Browns win a couple of extra games, which hurts their ability to get a top notch QB. This reminded me of the Hinkie move with the Sixers (accept awfulness for a better chance to rise above mediocrity). Though the NBA is much more about getting a superstar than the NFL, the same argument can be made about QB’s in the NFL. Without one, you have a much tougher road. There are other teams (Rams, anyone else) with more than one first rounder. The Eagles will have trouble moving up, or moving up without greatly hurting their ability to improve the defense. When I see another team accumulate good draft chips, I’m not happy.

Overall, I like the move by the Browns a lot. Just the upside of picking say top 3 versus top 10 could be crucial (they could pick # 1 now).

40. 40 ICDogg said at 4:09 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I think the Colts got the advantage of this deal, but it could very well work out for the Browns too. The Browns improve draft position by, well, being worse. They also get another 1st which they can use to trade further up if they need to. And they really want that elusive franchise QB.

The Colts got a young player with greatness potential at very favorable financial terms, since the Browns paid most of his contract and used their cap space to do so. The pick they give up will probably be in the 20s.

41. 41 Ark87 said at 6:45 PM on September 19th, 2013:

The news of this blew my socks off In a weird way I didn’t like the trade for either team at first. I felt that the Colts still need their draft ammo to recover from years of low draft picks and being strapped with the cap (due to Manning, who was definitely worth it), and Trent just seemed to fit the traditional identity of the Browns. Apparently the Browns are all in, in search of a QB, and the colts are going all in to compete this year.

Maybe Norv prefers a more versatile back (don’t know much about Norv except he is WCO, and that he coached LT and Sproles). I’m sure he felt that Richardson’s value was far far below a 1st round pick for his scheme.

42. 42 ICDogg said at 3:32 PM on September 19th, 2013:

The media is in heavy attendance and they want us to act like jackasses They can’t wait to tell the story about how the Philadelphia fans, who booed Santa and threw batteries at J.D. Drew and cheered when Michael Irvin got badly injured, lived up to their reputation by booing the coach and quarterback that won so many games for them and got them to the playoffs so many times and even to the Super Bowl once.

They’re just waiting for that further “proof” that we are “the worst fans anywhere”.

43. 43 ACViking said at 3:37 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Can the 700-level fans from the Vet even afford tonight’s tix?

44. 44 BobSmith77 said at 3:40 PM on September 19th, 2013:

No. On the positive-side, the fans will be pretty well behaved and give both guys standing ovations I bet which won’t mesh into the cliched national storyline. Also, no risk of flares being shot towards the field. On the negative-side, the Eagles have essentially no real home-field advantage either.

45. 45 ICDogg said at 3:50 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I hope you’re right about the former. As to the latter point, that’s becoming more and more prevalent no matter where you are.

46. 46 GEagle said at 5:57 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I think it was a good fair trade for both teams

47. 47 ICDogg said at 3:47 PM on September 19th, 2013:

No, though there were badly behaved fans even in the 200s and 300s, especially at night games where even more alcohol than usual was consumed.

I don’t think they’ll put up with out of control fans (who would start fights and throw beer at opposing fans) at the Linc these days, but no one would stop them from booing.

48. 48 ICDogg said at 3:55 PM on September 19th, 2013:

…by the way, the Eagles fans have been in the parking lot tailgating for a couple of hours already. (Nearby parking lots already full). A lot of these guys are going to be lit up by game time.

49. 49 zbone95 said at 3:37 PM on September 19th, 2013:

In the beginning of that philly.com video Jimmy Looks like how I look when I have constipation LMAO.

50. 50 ICDogg said at 3:59 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Update on Randall Cunningham II

51. 51 A Big Butt and a Smile said at 7:14 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Good article. Oh the possibilities. lol

52. 52 RobNE said at 4:01 PM on September 19th, 2013:

When are non-actives listed? Curry??

53. 53 ICDogg said at 4:11 PM on September 19th, 2013:

not sure but not on Twitter yet. Tim McManus says he thinks Curry will be active tonight, but didn’t say why he thinks that.

Black end zones tonight but not black unis.

54. 54 ICDogg said at 4:12 PM on September 19th, 2013:

55. 55 A_T_G said at 6:51 PM on September 19th, 2013:

The black background and Eagles logo look a little like a bow tie. It is good to see we got the Linc dressed up for the events.

56. 56 BlindChow said at 4:50 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I really hope our defense owns Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson owns whoever he’s up against. That way, even if we lose we’ll have something to smile about…

57. 57 ICDogg said at 5:55 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Curry is going to be active tonight, according to Twitter reports

58. 58 GEagle said at 5:58 PM on September 19th, 2013:

REALLY??? Please someone confirm this!! I will get soooo Hype!!!

59. 59 ICDogg said at 7:00 PM on September 19th, 2013:

it’s on. Square inactive

60. 60 GEagle said at 8:10 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Yeeeeeeah buddy

61. 61 Ark87 said at 6:16 PM on September 19th, 2013:

They’re probably tired of “soooooo, we saw you had no pass rush, why was Vinny Inactive?”

after feeding us, well he’s just bad every time, now we shall see if that’s the case.

62. 62 anon said at 6:17 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Hopefully they’ll feel the same way about Kerry Rhodes and bring him in.

63. 63 Ark87 said at 6:19 PM on September 19th, 2013:

hah, didn’t connect those 2 situations. In both cases: Eagles need help and no matter how bad they want to deny it, there is stuff to try out there.

64. 64 GEagle said at 6:16 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I’m currently tailgating and this place is already buzzing. Should be a good atmosphere tonight and I’m hoping fans watched Seatle vs. San Fran and try and do their part tonight

65. 65 Ark87 said at 6:22 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Geagle, I’m counting on you man, last week Rivers was tearing us apart at the line with verbal communications, and not with distinct 1 syllable words that can cut through crowd noise, like complete sentences “That guy’s coming” (pointing at Boykin). Bring the home field advantage for us.

66. 66 anon said at 7:48 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Yeah never would have happened in Seattle.

67. 67 GEagle said at 8:11 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I got you my man!!! I came to bring the RUCKUS!!!!!

68. 68 planetx1971 said at 6:38 PM on September 19th, 2013:

I was just reading an article quoting Vick as thinking that Andy knowing his weaknesses or things he dislikes SOMEHOW gives Vick the advantage. Leaving aside how little sense that makes, I really wish he’d keep stuff like that to himself. I’m nervous enough about the game & doesn’t he get that’s just fodder for the rest of the world to use against him? Just had to rant. Anyway, GO BIRDS!!!!

69. 69 Ark87 said at 6:52 PM on September 19th, 2013:

If you get into a fight with your best friend (a serious one), and he knows you have a bad knee, at least you know exactly where he’s going, and have a chance of exploiting his obvious strategy.

I wouldn’t call it an advantage, but it definitely makes things interesting.

70. 70 planetx1971 said at 7:42 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Interesting point. I guess I’m just a fan of keeping things as low key as possible is all. I won’t care a BIT if they take it to em.

71. 71 Ark87 said at 8:10 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Agree with you there, let the play do the talkin

72. 72 ICDogg said at 6:58 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Eagles inactives: QB Barkley, CB Carmichael, CB Poyer, T Tobin, T Kelly, DE Square and TE Igwenagu

73. 73 anon said at 7:03 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Welcome to Sack City!!

74. 74 ICDogg said at 7:03 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Prater is active instead of Poyer, Curry instead of Square

75. 75 Teehee said at 7:27 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Curry is active tonight, hopefully he gets used.

76. 76 OregonDucker said at 7:31 PM on September 19th, 2013:

Smash ’em Curry! Make ’em pay to play in our house!

77. 77 GEagle said at 8:13 PM on September 19th, 2013:

It’s Currys house!! Vinny is one of us!!!
    For the new eagles fans, Inny grew up an Eagles fan. he is soooo one of us, that on draft day he didn’t let ESPN come film in his hues because he didn’t want to take down all his Eagles stuff!!!!

the modern Day Vince Papale!!! get em Vin DIESEL!!!

78. 78 planetx1971 said at 7:37 PM on September 19th, 2013:

CURRY’S active! 🙂 here’s hopin the kid gets ample playing time, does well & acquaints Smith to the turf early & often.