Gameday

Posted: October 6th, 2013 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 26 Comments »

Alright boys and girls. Who is fired up for the Eagles and Giants? Not Giants fans.

Jerks.

Wolff and Allen might be okay today.

The Bills are unofficially putting S Jairus Byrd on the trade block. Teams have been calling. As great as it would be to add Byrd, you have to think about the compensation. You’ll be giving up a high pick for a player that is 27. Does he have 2 good years left? 3 or 4? The personnel department has to make a really good projection with him for the deal to make sense. The Eagles aren’t a player away from the Super Bowl. Adding Byrd would be great, but the deal would have to make sense.

I’d certainly love to have him if the price was right.

In case you missed last night’s post, I wrote about Chip Kelly and his vision for the defense.

The Eagles need to win today. They have a good situation in front of them, but it all starts with winning today.

To me, this isn’t about winning the division so much as it is wanting to see Chip Kelly have the team win games that it should. Even if the Eagles get hot and somehow get into the playoffs, I don’t have crazy expectations for this season. I do want Kelly to instill the right mentality in this team. When you face a team that is down and struggling…beat them.

I know…the Eagles are struggling too. But not the same way. The Giants lost 38-0 and 31-7 the last 2 weeks. That’s a whole other level of suckitude.

26 Comments on “Gameday”

1. 1 GvilleEagleFan said at 11:13 AM on October 6th, 2013:

I was chatting with (read: taunting) one of my buds that’s a Giants fan earlier this week about their awful record when I had a horrifying realization: What if the Giants suck so hard this season they end up with a top three pick? They could be the luckiest bad team since Colts and grab Clowney right when Tuck was in decline and have a pair of stud DEs again. They could also end up doing a Rams-esque deal and end up with a king’s ransom of first rounders for someone looking to jump up for a QB. I’m not saying I want us to lose today, I want us to embarrass them, but how do the Giants get so lucky even about when they have to be terrible?

2. 2 TommyLawlor said at 11:33 AM on October 6th, 2013:

They’ll start winning some games eventually. Still could have a very high pick.

3. 3 Steve Beatty said at 11:44 AM on October 6th, 2013:

Can anyone help with a link to watch the game today? Stuck at work.

4. 4 GEagle said at 12:30 PM on October 6th, 2013:

If you get Toms permission for me to post a link, I will hook you up…I get in enough trouble on my own without trying to help people 🙂

5. 5 Neil said at 12:34 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Starts with a wiziwig and ends with a .com

8^)

6. 6 GEagle said at 12:42 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Yup…that’s the one I use,…I watch the game on TV, and stream the redzone channel

7. 7 TommyLawlor said at 11:59 AM on October 6th, 2013:

Nice stat from Domo.

8. 8 ACViking said at 12:07 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Re: Beating Teams You Should Beat

In 1971, the Eagles opened 0-5, losing all 5 to playoff teams — and losing head coach Jerry Williams after game 3.

But the Birds went 6-2-1 the rest of the way, beating 5 teams with losing records — the Giants twice, the Cards twice, and the Broncos (all three won 4 games in ’71) — and 1 team, the Lions, heading for a mediocre 7-6-1 season.

One loss was to the eventual SB Champion Cowboys, the other loss and tie was to the playoff-bound Redskins under new coach George Allen — a team that made the SB the following season.

When the 1972 season opened, expectations were very, very high. As high as 2001 under Andy Reid, when you just knew the Eagles were going to be good.

But the ’72 Eagles were among the worst in franchise history — setting an NFL record for fewest points scored in a 14-game season at 145, and for yielding the most points in one game, a 62-10 shellacking by the Giants (mentioned during last week’s broadcast).

________________

Why bring this up? The ’71 Eagles got fat beating up on bad teams. The fans were very excited when the ’72 began. But it turned out that beating up crappy teams isn’t a very good barometer for measuring progress.

9. 9 Neil said at 12:10 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Do you keep meticulous notes or just remember all this stuff? I couldn’t give you these sorts of details going back to 2011.

10. 10 ACViking said at 12:11 PM on October 6th, 2013:

I’ve lived and died many lives with this team.

That ’71 team broke a lot of hearts in ’72.

11. 11 Neil said at 12:13 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Man, like eagles jesus. All remembering that the rest of us might forget.

12. 12 ACViking said at 12:14 PM on October 6th, 2013:

That is a wonderful play on words.

But I shall stick to ACViking.

I’ll leave “EaglesJesus” unclaimed at the moment — but it’s “the pick of the crop” (to quote from JC Superstar).

13. 13 GEagle said at 12:46 PM on October 6th, 2013:

UGH!!!! Every time I see the word Jesus, I’m reminded about what could have been with Rejus instead of Riley

14. 14 ACViking said at 12:19 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Re: Today’s Weather for Those of Us Not in the Northeast

MetLife Stadium — E. Rutherford, N.J.

Haze. Mild. 75 °F, Wind: 10.34 mph/E

Not a bad day for football.

But just warm enough to make the ball slick and the players more prone to fumbles.

15. 15 GEagle said at 12:32 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Win in the trenches, don’t turn the ball over, and we win today…simple as that

16. 16 GEagle said at 12:43 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Practically started the Byrd WARWAGON, but in week 5 I wouldn’t give up anything higher then a 4th round pick for a guy that isn’t under contract past december

17. 17 Anders said at 12:59 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Problem is you also give up 4.9 mill in cap space that could be used next year.

18. 18 GEagle said at 12:45 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Just watched Kurt Coleman give a speech to the guys to fire them up….now I know we are in trouble lol

19. 19 GEagle said at 12:53 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Wow…the government shutdown means the armed forces channel is shut down and people fighting for our freedom don’t get to watch NFL games….what scumbag made that decision?

20. 20 ACViking said at 12:55 PM on October 6th, 2013:

The NFL . . . nothing’s free when it concerns the 32 owners.

21. 21 SteveH said at 12:55 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Hopefully this won’t turn political but non-essential is the key thing I believe, which totally blows for servicemen.

22. 22 SteveH said at 12:54 PM on October 6th, 2013:

I’d be willing to deal for Byrd if management thought he could be an effective player until age 31 or 32, that would take a lot of the pressure off the front office to overdraft a safety. Plus then we wouldn’t have to use disappointments like Patrick Chung as stopgaps. I thought he’d be serviceable but I guess this is why he isn’t in New England anymore!

23. 23 GEagle said at 1:06 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Why can’t Chip run the ball 3 times in a row????

24. 24 GEagle said at 1:06 PM on October 6th, 2013:

3 and out first drive…awesome

25. 25 TommyLawlor said at 1:07 PM on October 6th, 2013:

Game thread is up.

26. 26 scratcherk said at 1:07 PM on October 6th, 2013:

good protection there on the blitz. bad drop