The previous post had a ton of comments, which makes it difficult to keep conversations going, so I thought I would post some additional reflections on the team and the game.
* It blows me away how much better Bennie Logan is now that he’s the starting NT. He’s better than Isaac Sopoaga was, but is also better than Bennie Logan was as a backup.
* LeSean McCoy had 11 games of 20 or more carries from 2009-2012. He has 6 of those games this season. A big part of Chip Kelly’s genius is doing the obvious. Shady is your best offensive player. I know…let’s feed him the ball. McCoy had 150 total yards today, as well as 2 TDs.
* Nick Foles now has enough passing attempts to qualify for official passing stats. He should be atop the NFL’s QB rating list tomorrow morning when stats are updated. I think they actually get posted about 3am for those of you that are night owls.
* I’m curious to see how Najee Goode looks when I study the game. He’s had 2 impressive weeks, but is allowed to attack the LOS a lot. That’s an effective tactic, but isn’t necessarily something you can do every week. I want to see how he pursued and tackled. I was as shocked as all of you when the Eagles got rid of Emmanuel Acho and added Goode, but right now that seems like a terrific decision. Najee Goode…or Najee Greate?
* The subject of Kelly having the team go for it on 4th/1 came up in the previous post. I fully supported going for it. I think you want your team to develop an aggressive mentality. Don’t play “not to lose”. Play to win. That means you will take some chances. They won’t always work. You must be able to live with the plays that don’t pan out to enjoy the rewards of those that do.
* The national media is going to start jumping on the Eagles bandwagon now. They’ve been on and off a few times already this year. Welcome them back, but let’s be careful before we start buying into some of the hype that is bound to build up. This Eagles team is good enough for us to enjoy right now, but still has enough flaws for us to keep our expectations realistic. I mean, we’ll win the Super Bowl, but it won’t be a blowout.
* You guys brought up a lot of good topics to discuss. We’ve got the bye coming up so I’ll write about these things since we won’t have a game to preview or review from Wednesday to Wednesday, give or take. We’ll talk about QB (Foles vs draft), RB (importance of Shady), CB (Boykin/draft/free agency), OLB (Cole/Graham and the future) and any other good topics that need to be discussed at length.
* Did you guys see what Shady did before the game? Skins fan was shaking a Skins flag at him so Shady grabbed it, balled it up and threw the thing away from the stands. No word on if someone gave it back to the guy or not. Anyone bothered by Shady doing this? Shady was chatting up an Eagles fan and it appeared the guy started shaking the flag at him so I don’t see this as a big deal.