DeSean Jackson Update

Posted: January 9th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 66 Comments »

DeSean Jackson was asked on Monday if he was happy with his contract. That’s when he gave the answer about wanting some security, i.e. guaranteed money. This became a bit of a story, which then bugged Jackson who felt like his words were being twisted. I see where he’s coming from. The question was asked by a reporter. DeSean didn’t bring this up on his own. He also didn’t make any demands. He simply gave an honest answer.

Still, DeSean’s answer was pretty clear. He would like some changes.

Jeff McLane wrote today that he’s hearing that isn’t likely to happen.

Whether Jackson does or doesn’t want his five-year, $47 million deal restructured, the Eagles are unlikely to rework his contract, a source close to the situation said.

And

There has been speculation that the Eagles may be open to restructuring Jackson’s deal to lower the 2014 salary cap number in exchange for more guaranteed money. While that is possible, it is also unlikely to happen, the source said.

It doesn’t sound like this is going to turn into a nasty situation, but you never know. Players can be fickle. And the Eagles probably aren’t thrilled to have a WR talking about his contract that he just signed 2 years ago. Jackson is due a good salary this year so he’s really got nothing to worry about at this time. He just has to wait til September to get his money.

Let’s talk about DeSean Jackson and the Chip Kelly offense. Not everyone is convinced DeSean is an ideal fit and worth the big money he’s scheduled to make in 2014.

See if you can tell which of these sticks out.

Player Height Weight
Jason Avant 6-0 212
Riley Cooper 6-3 222
BJ Cunningham 6-2 215
DeSeanJackson 5-10 175
Damaris Johnson 5-8 170
Jeremy Maclin 6-0 198
Jeff Maehl 6-0 188
Ifeanyi Momah 6-7 239
Will Murphy 6-2 193
Brad Smith 6-2 213

Damaris and DeSean are the only guys under 6-0 and 188. I think Damaris is probably on the way out. He was a non-factor on offense and essentially a non-factor on STs.

DeSean is small, but he is a special player. He has explosive speed. Chip Kelly has plenty of other big guys to block well and make tough, contested catches. While Kelly prefers big guys, you can bet he loves the impact that DeSean has on defenses, whether the ball is in his hands or not. Kelly loves forcing the defense to cover the whole field. DeSean becomes a valuable chess piece. Send him in motion to one side and the defense is going to notice. Put him in the backfield, the defense is going to be nervous. Put him in the slot, the defense worries about the matchup. And so on.

But DeSean was much more than just a decoy this year. Kelly got him to become a more complete WR. DeSean set career highs in catches, yards and receptions of 20 or more yards. He tied his career high in TDs. There was the double-reverse TD that got wiped out by penalty. DeSean didn’t miss a game for only the second time in his career.

Go beyond the numbers. DeSean blocked better than ever. Kelly got him to use the middle of the field on a more regular basis when running after the catch. DeSean had previously been in a bad habit of going to the outside on most plays. He even got back to being part of the Red Zone offense. Check out these Red Zone numbers.

Year Catches Yards TDs
2013 7 58 3
2012 2 33 1
2011 2 14 1
2010 4 8 1
2009 4 29 3
2008 6 26 1

More catches than ever. More yards than ever. Tied his career high in TDs. In the first 5 years of his career, DeSean had 18 catches for 110 yards and 7 TDs. Kelly got him 7-58-3 in one season. That’s crazy.

I think DeSean is a valuable player that Kelly will absolutely want to keep around. Forget about size with this guy. He definitely fits the Kelly offense and that showed this year. I know DeSean’s numbers went down late in the year. Kelly was doing a lot of creative stuff with him and it wasn’t all working. It also seemed like Foles didn’t always have the time to find him down the field.

One area I think Foles needs to work on is getting the ball deep to DeSean. That worked well in some games, but needs to be a more consistent part of the offense. Foles and Kelly found a way to feed the ball to DeSean and keep him heavily involved in the offense. That is great. Mixing in a few more deep balls is the easy part.

I’m looking forward to seeing what ideas Kelly has in mind for 2014. I hope DeSean is used more on run plays. I’m sure Kelly will dream up some interesting ideas to get his explosive playmaker the ball.

66 Comments on “DeSean Jackson Update”

1. 1 Vick or Nick said at 12:33 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Would you bring back Riley Cooper for 5-6 million a year?

Lets say 5 year, 30 million deal.

I would bring him back for 5 year, 20 mill, 4 mill a year.

The value of Cooper is one of the biggest mysteries of this offseason.

If some team offers him 30+ mill, Eagles should let him walk.

2. 2 D3FB said at 12:44 AM on January 10th, 2014:

6 mil a year would be a tough number to swallow. I hope it ends up being closer to 4 years 14 million. If it gets much larger than that I would hope it would be one of those funny money deals like we signed guys to last year where its really only a 2 year deal with nothing guaranteed after that.

3. 3 Tom33 said at 1:01 AM on January 10th, 2014:

No. Way too much for a guy with <10 good games in his whole career. He is hopefully the #3 outside receiver on this team next year.

4. 4 Buge Halls said at 9:54 AM on January 10th, 2014:

They gave Vick $100 million for fewer good games than that with the Eagles!

5. 5 SteveH said at 1:07 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I doubt there is going to be heavy competition for Riley. He had a pretty good year but really is a stopgap #2 guy at best, plus he’s got the extra off the field baggage. I’d top out at 4 mil a year, but I think we might get him for less than that.

6. 6 TommyLawlor said at 1:13 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I posed the question to Sam on Twitter. We’ll see what he says. $6M seems too high. I’m leaning more toward $4M, but that might be low.

I don’t think all 32 teams will want Riley. His incident could make him toxic to locker rooms that don’t know him. His skill set isn’t for all teams. Really good fit for Kelly. Would be smart to go for reasonable deal and stay here.

7. 7 Media Mike said at 5:36 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Do you have to consider Cooper’s salary in context with what Avant is currently making and a possible cut of Avant?

8. 8 GEAGLE said at 9:56 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I hear bob Biknell really really really likes coop

9. 9 GEAGLE said at 10:03 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Ideally we could get him at $4mil per, with some additional incentives…if he is going to continue being a beast for us and producing then he should be compensated….I doubt we would let him hold our feet to the fire and get crazy money out of us, nor do I think Coop wants to….after all, it’s not like coop has been producing for years and we were underpaying him like with Desean….GMs are wary of guys who decide to play out of their minds during contract years any way, so I really doubt coop will have all this leverage…

If ANY team wants to sign him, they will have to prepare for two weeks worth of negative press of how they signed the racist..then they have to gamble on how he will be accepted in the locker room…and everyone knows Coop wouldn’t produce like he did for any offense…but in THIS offense, with THIS QB he works!! Really think 4-5m per year, throw some incentives in to make some extra cash, and I think we can retain him..
    ,,,
    But it only takes one team to like him and screw it all up…

10. 10 Ark87 said at 12:35 PM on January 10th, 2014:

I hope Coop will give us a little discount, since here he is family, out there he will be reviled.No Jason Avants out there pounding the table for forgiveness.

I like that Coop is playing big. Really using his size, being physical out there…beating up little guys…just like Chip likes.

11. 11 Tom33 said at 10:33 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I think I saw this on twitter, although I couldn’t find it today so I had to go back and look up #’s. Cooper’s numbers compared to some recent Eagles WR’s:

Cooper (2013) 47 rec/835 yds/8 TD’s

James Thrash (2001) 63/833/8
    Reggie Brown (2006) 46/816/8
    Todd Pinkston (2002) 60/798/7

I think he is probably overpaid at $3MM/year. I think he is very replaceable.

12. 12 Joseph Dubyk said at 11:32 AM on January 10th, 2014:

agree….. Im thinking he’s a 2 Million a year guy

13. 13 kevinlied said at 11:35 AM on January 10th, 2014:

But his numbers in the games where Foles started prorated over sixteen games are much more impressive. Plus, you have to factor in Cooper’s strong blocking (especially in this offense) and redzone ability/potential. I wouldn’t overpay for him, but I think he’s better than “very replaceable.”

14. 14 Vick or Nick said at 11:04 AM on January 10th, 2014:

The biggest hurdle will be looking at contracts of comparable receivers in the league.

Danny Amendola 5 year, 30 mill.
    Victor Cruz 5 year, 43 mill.

I think Riley will look for a contract in between there.

The other big issue (perhaps biggest) is the guaranteed money.

Amendola got 10 mill guaranteed, Cruz 15.

15. 15 Anders said at 1:42 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Tommy remember that the best wr for Kelly at Oregon was Josh huff and in general he almost never had the giant freaks (outside of 1 guy)

16. 16 TommyLawlor said at 1:58 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Right. He had guys with okay size (like Maehl). Kelly does prefer bigger WRs if he’s got a choice, but he’s got to value having an elite playmaker over just a big body.

17. 17 Anders said at 7:12 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Kelly never recruit big WRs. He preferred play makers instead

18. 18 bill said at 8:43 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Not that I disagree with the thrust of this, but if you look at the snap counts down the stretch, and especially against NO, I think Kelly proved his maxim that blocking really matters for WRs. No question about it, as a receiver, Jackson is by far the best on the Eagles’ roster. But Cooper, and against NO, Avant, got more snaps than Desean. And I agree, Desean became a much better blocker this year, but there are limitations to what he can do as blocker just based on physics, and I think the snap counts down the stretch demonstrate that Desean’s limitations impact Kelly’s decisions. Once again, Chip says what he means, and he says that big people beat up little people.
    He’s obviously going to be a big part of the offense, like he was this year, but I don’t think he’s going to get the snap counts to be a true #1, especially if Kelly starts utilizing more 2 TE sets next year (probably depends on Ertz becoming a better blocker, or Casey getting out of whatever doghouse he put himself in, but I get the feeling Chip wants to run 2 TEs more than he did this year).
    I’m kind of surprised that they’re unlikely to restructure to lower the cap hit and give him more guaranteed – that seemed like a no-brainer to me. If true, this makes me think even more that Kelly doesn’t see him as a true #1. Perhaps they’re even worried that he’s about to lose a step.

19. 19 Anders said at 9:33 AM on January 10th, 2014:

To be honest, I think Kelly has a priority for recievers and TEs just like any other position.

For WRs is still think that catching the ball is no. 1. I really doubt he is going to sacrifice pass catching and playmaking for blocking.

Of course if you can get a player who can do both, you try to get it, but I bet Kelly wants Jackson on the field more than Avant (and he did) in the long run. Im not going to draw conclusions based on 1 game.

20. 20 bill said at 9:52 AM on January 10th, 2014:

No argument that Kelly would clearly give more snaps to Jackson over Avant over a longer term. But the point is – Desean is *such* a better receiving option than Avant, and in a big spot, Avant played more than Desean. Add the fact that Cooper was fairly consistently getting significantly more snaps down the stretch; even I, who thinks Cooper is somewhat underrated by many in the blogosphere, would never argue that he’s more than an adequate #2 in the NFL. I think it says something about the relative weight Kelly puts on different facets of the WR skill set. I’m getting the feeling that Chip thinks he can “coach up” the pass catching just as much as he can the blocking.

21. 21 bentheimmigrant said at 4:42 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Here’s a related question: What kind of improvement is reasonable to expect from a quarterback re: the deep ball?

I think if Foles can add 5 yards to his accurate range, we’d be doing pretty well. Is this feasible with improvements to strength and mechanics?

22. 22 A_T_G said at 6:44 AM on January 10th, 2014:

What is his accurate range right now?

23. 23 bentheimmigrant said at 8:03 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I’d say he’s pretty accurate up to about 40-45 yards. My memory (and I could be off) tells me that it’s passes that are maybe 50+ yards receivers had to slow down/adjust a bit more. Something like the DJax catch against GB where it should have been a pick but bounced up… is it reasonable to expect him to improve on that and consistently land that throw where it should have been (just double checked, and it came down about 50 yards from where he threw it)?

Obviously none of this is perfect, as he had to deal with pressure etc., and the nature of accuracy and range means he’ll hit some even outside his normal range, but it does seem that if he could just put it out there another 5 yards then those plays where DJax did slow down become great throws.

It’s more something I’ve always wondered when I hear people talking about arm strength.

24. 24 A_T_G said at 8:27 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I didn’t know if you were talking about his maximum range or his range throwing passes on a line. Honestly, I don’t know that I see his range as the thing to work on. He has overthrown receivers on those deep routes. I think if he can read the play faster and throw half a second sooner, none of those guys have to slow down to catch the ball.

25. 25 bentheimmigrant said at 8:33 AM on January 10th, 2014:

That’s fair – and I agree that improving his anticipation (and just getting more starts under his belt) are a priority. But I’d say it’s something that can be improved – and depending on the feasibility of improving it, it could be a very valuable thing to do. But as I said, it’s mainly a thing I’ve wondered about arm strength. I’m sure Foles can put the ball further than we’ve seen in-game, but if he could improve his accuracy so he’s hitting them in stride more often, I think we’re looking at a lot more points.

What we need is for one of those numbers-crazed bloggers to look at all the deep attempts (good and bad), chart where they should have landed, and make us some kind of accuracy graph.

26. 26 Media Mike said at 5:27 AM on January 10th, 2014:

DeSean Jackson is a flat out superstar and I was very happy to see an increase in his utilization under Kelly. This should increase going into next year!

27. 27 A_T_G said at 8:04 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Jimmy had a link to this, and it is a great summary of our leadership in a few sentences. Regarding the survey that the NFL conducts of the most feared players:

“When asking members of the Philadelphia Eagles about the most feared player in the NFL, the initial reaction was the same: “We don’t fear anybody.”

The secondary reaction was divided. Some players took it to mean the
    nastiest, toughest player. Others took it to mean the most difficult to
    defend against. Based on that initial reaction — not fearing anyone —
    more players went with the latter interpretation.

So there was one vote for Detroit Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, but three for Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson. There were votes for Peyton Manning (two), Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers — players feared because they might break an opponent’s heart, not because they might stomp on his head.”

28. 28 P_P_K said at 8:29 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I like Desean on the field. Off the field, I think the guy has to get his act together. A reporter asked a question and he gave a boneheaded answer. The right answer would have been, “My team just lost a playoff game, I’m very disappointed and, because the team is my #1 concern, that’s all I’m thinking about right now.”

The fact that he didn’t respond in this way is an indictment of a “me-first” attitude that we’ve seen flash before. The idea didn’t just pop into his head, he must have been mulling it over. I don’t know what to think of the fact that he doesn’t know how to talk to the press even after being in the League for a couple years. Regardless, you want a different contract? Bring it to your boss first, not to a reporter.

29. 29 bentheimmigrant said at 8:34 AM on January 10th, 2014:

To be fair, I’ve known people who can’t give presentations well, even with years of experience. So people aren’t great at thinking on their feet in front of others, and I could easily see him just throwing out the first thing that came to mind.

30. 30 P_P_K said at 8:43 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I agree with you about some people not being good at being impromptu speakers. Maybe this is part of things. Still, the Eages DID just lose a playoff game, ending their season. I would have more respect for a player whose mind was contemplating the loss, rather than his wallet.

31. 31 bentheimmigrant said at 9:52 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Yeah. But do you really doubt that he’s competitive? That’s the main thing that matters for me.

I’m sure he’d thought about his contract enough that the answer was ready pretty easily (and there’s nothing wrong with being aware of your own financial situation)… I would only be worried if he’d brought this up unprompted. As it was, he just answered a question candidly. If he keeps bringing it up, or starts acting out over it, I’ll worry. But I expect this one to blow over much like every other locker room drama the papers tried to develop over the last year.

32. 32 P_P_K said at 10:48 AM on January 10th, 2014:

You guys are just nicer than me. I can’t imagine a competitive athlete even thinking about his contract after a huge loss. After losing a game, the athletes I know aren’t thinking about anything but getting revenge.

Like some of the other posters have pointed out, DeSean’s not an a-hole. But football is a team sport. The team should be the first consideration, and I don’t believe this is the case with Desean. This is his second go-around with making his contract a public matter. The first time, yea, it did impact his competitiveness. I hope you are right that this time it will be a “passing storm”(hah).

33. 33 bentheimmigrant said at 10:57 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Well, it may not have been on his mind at the time. He’s had 2 years to consider the implications of his contract for next year. He probably went into the season hoping that a good year would get him more guaranteed money. So it wouldn’t be hard to bring that out in an interview.

He may well have still been thinking about the loss, but it was two days later, and he was asked a direct question.

34. 34 kevinlied said at 11:43 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Presumably, he only thought about his contract because he was asked a direct question about it. Say I’m a lawyer who cares about my job. If, right after I lose a trial, somebody asks me, what’s on my mind, I’m not likely to talk about my salary. But if that same person asks me whether I think I’m paid enough, I might give a responsive answer.

35. 35 Tom McAllister said at 9:08 AM on January 10th, 2014:

His “off field act” is together. There are no arrests, no violent outbursts in public like Cooper, no weird incidents with women like McCoy, not a single story questioning his work ethic or preparation for games.

He just has a personality of which you don’t approve. That’s not his problem.

36. 36 bentheimmigrant said at 9:53 AM on January 10th, 2014:

His rap sucks, though.

37. 37 bentheimmigrant said at 12:37 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Apparently someone thought Diamonds on my Neck is quality hip hop…

38. 38 Ark87 said at 12:42 PM on January 10th, 2014:

That was Desean, big fan of PBR and Funyons.

39. 39 bill said at 9:13 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Meh, in an NFL bursting to the seams with true scum and WR divas, Desean’s personality issues aren’t a big deal. As long as he comes to play like he did this year, his willingness to speak his mind when asked a direct question doesn’t matter to me, and probably not to Kelly, either.

40. 40 aub32 said at 12:48 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Not only that, but he has done outstanding work to help both kids and vets. He has donated tens of thousands to various charities. So I would say that his off the field behavior is pretty exemplary. He shouldn’t have to apologize to fans for being himself.

41. 41 GEAGLE said at 9:51 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I just thinks it’s dumb. If you are paying your agent, shut your mouth, let him do his job and be the “bad cop”

42. 42 Right_On1 said at 8:56 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Tommy – one key thought I had rewatching a number of our games is how dependent we’ve been on big plays, do you think that’s Kelly’s system or due to the personnel? If it’s the former then DJax would seem to be a key component, if it’s the latter we really need a big WR who can move the chains consistently.

43. 43 bsuperfi said at 9:58 AM on January 10th, 2014:

DeSean is a great player, but the major problem is that it takes too much scheming for him to be a superstar. He’s one of the best in the game in a few important ways, but he’s not an all around beast like a few of the other top (big bodied) WRs out there. Every WR has strengths and weaknesses, but DeSean’s are more extreme.

When the game’s on the line, I want to rely on talent and execution – not scheme. This principle extends from the goal line to the middle of the field. DeSean is a great tool for certain purposes, but he’s not quite “elite” in my mind.

44. 44 Tumtum said at 10:11 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I am with you that Desean is not a number 1. Consistent production has not happened with him. By consistency I mean reliable for clutch situations game in and game out. He “disappears” too much.

He is not all that dynamic. For being a small guy he doesn’t have anywhere close to the agility and change of direction of your Welker/Edleman types..heck not even Damaris Johnson or Jason Avant. He is EXTRA fast in a strait line though, and its been proven that is actually important. One thing I don’t think he gets enough credit for though is making challenged catches deep, especially along the sideline. He has done it time and time again throughout his career. If the ball is thrown well deep down the sideline, and he has a chance he is probably bringing in the catch.

He is very good, yes. Elite… I would have to say absolutely not. I understand him wanting some more security since he is essentially on a series of one year deals until his contract expires. Here is the big question, that I am sure you guys can help me with: are the overall numbers of Desean’s contract at elite receiver numbers or very good receiver numbes? If the numbers are to pay an elite receiver he probably made his bed during his last contract negotiations. If they are just very good receiver numbers then he probably deserves some security.

45. 45 aub32 said at 12:41 PM on January 10th, 2014:

He’s one of the best WRs in the league, and that’s not good enough for some of you. How much more consistent can you be with over 1300 yards in a season. Only 8 receivers were “more cosistent”. Also, you say it takes scheming to get him to produce. Who doesn’t? Defenses key in on number one receivers. Looks at every receiver. They all have games where their production was held down because defenses did everything they could to limit them.
    ….
    Let’s take out the size factor. What is a number one WR?
    1) A guy that can consistent put together 1000+ yard seasons.
    2) A guy that defenses have to account for
    3) A guy that produce despite being the number receiving threat
    4) A guy that can create opportunities for others due to the extra attention they require
    5) A guy who consistently makes the catch a limits drops
    …..
    DeSean has done all of these for years now. So how is he not a number 1 WR? Look at other teams. He would be the number one guy on over half the other teams in the NFL.

46. 46 Tumtum said at 2:29 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Well first off I guess we disagree on the definition of consistency. To me yardage total tells you very little. It totally ignores what got you to that total.

I want a guy that puts up 50+ yards every single week. I want a guy that can produce against man, zone, and double coverage. If your guy is getting doubled does he let you take him out of the game, or does he burn them immediately when they inevitably can’t double him? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Lets compare him to the next guy up on the overall yardage chart since that is an important number for you.
    Desean Jackson: 82 1332 9 — 5 games under 50yrds
    Pierre Garcon: 113 1346 5 — 3 games under 50 yards

In two of the games below 50 yards Garcon had 46+ yards. Desean didn’t make it to 40 in any of the 5. Garcon also had 5+ catches in each of those games, while Desean had below 4 catches in all but one.

Every receiver is going to have down games as far as numbers are concerned, but what is his impact?

I would trade Desean for every guy in the top 15 in receiving yards from 2013. The only guy I might struggle with trading Desean for is Dez and I have a feeling most people would laugh me right of the room for that. Dez has even less consistency in his game than Desean, but physically he has so many more tools.

You also seem to be under the impression that we (more specifically I) don’t think Desean is a nice player. I really do, and I am glad to have his production. I just happen to want more. Players and coaches strive for perfection, why can’t fans?

47. 47 Tom33 said at 10:14 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I have to say, I was really impressed with DJax this year. Not just the #’s he put up, but he stood out to me a bunch of times watching replays of McCoy runs where he was blocking hard 10-15 yards downfield. This is guy who is 5-9 and maybe 160 lbs and it looked to me like he was really battling on every play.

I’m not saying he should get a new contract for it – I just think deserves some credit for taking a big jump in maturity this year.

48. 48 CrackSammich said at 11:15 AM on January 10th, 2014:

We can talk arm strength all day (Don’t you do it, shah…), but I think everybody would agree that Vick could throw a longer ball than Foles. I think that’s what made Vick and Jackson so dynamic together, when he could make the read that Desean was open a second or two late and still get the ball 60 yards over the top to him. Foles, whether he is incapable or if he is hesitant to throw the ball that deep due to his inexperience, can’t/won’t do the same thing. If he reads Desean late, he’s underthrowing that ball and it’s getting picked.

For me, that kind of thing has led me to think that Desean hasn’t had a good year since he hasn’t been getting those huge passes so often. But obviously the stats don’t lie.

As far as his contract, everybody wants a raise. Why should Desean be any different?

49. 49 RobNE said at 11:35 AM on January 10th, 2014:

Right even the obvious, called PI in the Saints game late against the backup who was in – my first thought in seeing the reply was wow he was open the ball was really under thrown.

50. 50 RobNE said at 11:51 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I think we all can over analyze and take too much to heart things like this episode. Could Jackson have side stepped the question? yes. But he didn’t for whatever reason. I believe he plays really, really hard and he had a good year and did more of the little things. Getting fired up about every comment someone makes I think is a little of us reflecting how we would (or hope to) act if it were us. We would all be the best teammate ever in our own minds.

I just can’t get excited about this. Also then it’s like rewarding the reporter who brought this up.

51. 51 Scott J said at 11:55 AM on January 10th, 2014:

I’ll be in favor of giving players more money in the middle of a contract IF they agree to give money back when they don’t live up to the contract.

52. 52 bentheimmigrant said at 12:05 PM on January 10th, 2014:

He didn’t say anything about more money. He talked about security. He currently has no guarantee of income, which apparently bothers him.

53. 53 aub32 said at 12:42 PM on January 10th, 2014:

So do you give money back to your boss if you had an unproductive day?

54. 54 Scott J said at 1:17 PM on January 10th, 2014:

I work for myself. When I worked for a corporation I didn’t work under a contract, I was a salaried employee. At the end of the year I would get a raise based on my performance. If Jackson wants to change the terms of his contract when he has a good year, that’s fine, as long as the employer can change the contract if he has a bad year.

55. 55 bentheimmigrant said at 1:59 PM on January 10th, 2014:

The employer can terminate the contract for pretty much free. That sounds like changing the terms to me. Plus, he wants to negotiate, not unilaterally change the terms.

56. 56 Daniel Norman Richwine said at 12:19 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Imagine a stud WR in this offense. Drool…

57. 57 Isaac said at 12:51 PM on January 10th, 2014:

same refrain from the Reid years. any offense with a stud receiver (big, fast, great hands) is much better

58. 58 BobSmith77 said at 1:33 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Just need an upgrade in the slot especially if they play the ’11’ formation with 3 WRs. Didn’t understand why they used that formation so much in the Saints’ game vs their ’12’ with 2 TEs (Celek/Ertz).

59. 59 RobNE said at 12:48 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Did you all see this about Curry?

60. 60 Isaac said at 12:50 PM on January 10th, 2014:

have the rest of the NFL personnel people seen it?

61. 61 SteveH said at 12:58 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Bad game, not sure I’m ready to give up on the kid though because he definitely had some impact games this year as well. 3-4 DE is not an ideal fit for him, he should be an edge rusher who can switch inside for obvious passing situations a-la Justin Tuck. Asking him to 2 gap is not playing to his strength (insanely fast burst off the line) at all.

62. 62 Ark87 said at 12:59 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Seems to overstate the bad a bit. Getting clocked with no help, erm he was getting doubled there. Then had some bad plays 1 on 1 against All pro guards. Not anything to panic about. Year 1 as a 3-4 DE, another year of making that added weight functional will do him good.

63. 63 RobNE said at 1:28 PM on January 10th, 2014:

I know Gruden is the de facto OC now for the Redskins, but their actual to-be OC is 27 years old. I don’t care how smart you are, that seems crazy to me.

64. 64 BobSmith77 said at 1:33 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Thing that impressed me the most with Jackson this year was his willingness to block and to do so down the field.

65. 65 Baloophi said at 2:32 PM on January 10th, 2014:

Mock Draft Insanity

If you’re looking for a waste of time that can generate somewhat unrealistic results, try this simulator:

A few of mine are below. I didn’t do them all through 7 rounds and obviously their algorithm generates some crazy drops, but still, it’s fun to try different strategies.

Some thoughts:
    * We should drop back from 22. Very frustrating to watch so many great players go before our 2nd and 3rd round picks… would love to get another selection in there.
    * De’Anthony Thomas was consistently my 5a selection
    * Not having a 6th rounder was oddly frustrating
    * Pass rush is hard to acquire! (duh)
    * Loading up on defense with the first few picks – possibly at the expense of a pure BPA strategy – just feels right

(22) CB – JASON VERRETT – TCU

(86) S – DEONE BUCANNON – WASHINGTON STATE
    (118) TE – C.J. FIEDOROWICZ – IOWA
    (150) RB – DE’ANTHONY THOMAS – OREGON
    (157) CB – VICTOR HAMPTON – SOUTH CAROLINA
    (214) QB – LOGAN THOMAS – VIRGINIA TECH

66. 66 McNabbulousness said at 1:27 AM on January 11th, 2014:

Before this year I would have said no way to restructuring. I love Djax and all the great moments hes brought to the Eagles but his incomplete/inconsistent play and his show boat style (understand you need to have an edge being a little guy in a big man’s league, but come on) I didn’t think he was worth the long term investment.

Guys, that changed this year. Everything we’ve wanted to see him change in his game came to fruition this year. Chip brought out the best in him and it really showed with how the offense performed this season. For this reason and the fact you’re always one injury away from being out of the league that I’ve got no problem with him wanting more guaranteed money.