To Deal Or Not To Deal?

Posted: August 26th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 123 Comments »

Arguably the hottest topic in the NFL for the past 24 hours has been what the Rams will do at QB. They lost Sam Bradford for the year to an ACL injury. The Rams have a potential playoff team, but Shaun Hill is the best QB on the roster for now. What will they do?

The most talked about solution to the Rams QB problem is for them to trade for Mark Sanchez. He is playing great football right now. Sanchez is a proven starter who has won playoff games. While Sanchez is no longer seen as a franchise QB, he’s definitely desirable in this situation.

There are some issues to consider, for both teams.

Let’s start with the Rams. Just how bad do they want to compete this season? They’re in a division with the Niners and Seahawks. That means they would need a miracle to even have a shot at the division crown. More than likely, they would be competing for a wildcard spot. In my mind, this should limit how aggressive the Rams are in seeking a QB. Don’t mortgage the future for a temporary solution to a problem where you still might not get maximum results.

The Eagles like Mark Sanchez a lot. Chip Kelly is a believer that you must have 2 good QBs ready to play. That is especially true when you have the best team in your division and enough talent to be among the best teams in the league. The only way the Eagles can consider dealing a valuable backup QB is if there is an offer that is too good to pass up.

What would that be? Would the Rams pay that price?

I don’t think I would make the deal for anything less than a 3rd round pick. You start by asking for a 2nd, but I just can’t see the Rams as likely to pay that price. You could settle for a 4th, but that player would be out of the Top 100 picks and I’m not sure that’s good value considering the situation.

The other consideration to factor in is what the Eagles do at backup QB if they do deal Sanchez. Is Matt Barkley ready for that role? I’m not sure we’ll have a strong feel for that until the Jets game, when Barkley will play most of the game. The Eagles could try to sign Kyle Orton to be in the mix. They could see if the Raiders cut Trent Edwards. Dennis Dixon was just cut by the Bills. He looks shot to me but Kelly might disagree. Maybe there is another player the Eagles have interest in.

I do not think GJ Kinne is ready to be the #3 QB. I just haven’t seen much progress from him this year.

The Eagles could go with Foles and Barkley and just use Brad Smith as the emergency QB. That would free up a roster spot for some other position. I doubt Kelly would do that. He seems like the kind of coach who wants 3 QBs on his roster.

All in all, I don’t see a deal as likely to happen. The Eagles won’t want to give up Sanchez cheap. I doubt the Rams will overpay for a QB.

Right now Jeff Fisher is saying the Rams are going to take it slow.

“You know what I like is, ‘According to sources close to the situation, we’re da da da da da,’” Fisher said.  “I love that, okay.  So no, we have not had any conversations with anybody.  It’s the old source deal, you can just throw that out there.  There’s a lot of players out there that are under contract and so you can’t discuss those things.  But we’ve not had any discussions with anybody.  Again, we’re going to be patient with this.   There’s probably a couple quarterbacks let go at 75.  There will probably be some let go at the 53 and, like I said, there may be somebody, a club, we may have a trade partner out there.  We don’t know.  But we’re not initiating anything right now.”

Stay tuned.

We’ll see if the Rams decide to make an aggressive move. If so, do they call the Eagles?

We’ll see how Barkley plays on Thursday night. That could affect the Eagles willingness to deal or not to deal.

123 Comments on “To Deal Or Not To Deal?”

1. 1 DeathstroketheTerminator said at 12:40 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I’m completely confused as to why people aren’t talking about the most important topic. Why help the Rams? The Eagles play them this year. You don’t give them Sanchez, then you can probably lock that in as a win. The ultimate goal every year is to win the Super Bowl. Every game counts.

2. 2 GEAGLE said at 6:52 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Rams are used to playing without a QB… Facing them is a trap game, and they have one of the best players in the NFL with the ability to take over a game in the mighty Quinn…. Even without a QB that’s a dangerous game for us… Letdown game after big games vs, colts, Niners, redskins…….

3. 3 Finlay Jones said at 8:00 AM on August 26th, 2014:

in a whole franchise picture, a 3rd round pick is worth more than one win

4. 4 Scott J said at 8:21 AM on August 26th, 2014:

It’s the same think when they released Jackson. They don’t care about other teams, they only do what’s best for the Eagles.

5. 5 anon said at 8:27 AM on August 26th, 2014:

yeah exactly. Hopefully it works out as well as the McNabb trade.

6. 6 anon said at 12:47 AM on August 26th, 2014:

i’d trade graham and sanchez for any one of their front 7 and a 5th

7. 7 Sean said at 1:05 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Do the Rams really have a potential playoff team? You’d think so, given all the draft picks they’ve made, but they haven’t shown any ability to develop those players individually or produce results on either side of the ball. People talk about their defense like it’s this elite unit, but they gave up the most y/a last year with the best pass rusher in football. Speaking of Quinn, are there any other really good players on the Rams? I say no, and that really shouldn’t be the case, considering the draft capital they’ve had at their disposal.

8. 8 anon said at 8:13 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Their whole d-line is crazy but they play in the best division in football. How great would we look playing SF/SEA/Cardinals twice a year?

9. 9 Joe Minx said at 1:06 AM on August 26th, 2014:

The Chargers claimed Joe Kruger.

10. 10 Anders said at 4:24 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Yea saw that, so far 4 Eagles have been claimed and not sure what Iggy or Hawkins showed to clarion them. I know the charges lack a lot of depth at DL and the other 3 most likely only get one game

11. 11 Dominik said at 6:58 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Who were the others that were claimed? I find it always interesting how that plays out.

12. 12 GEAGLE said at 7:05 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Emil Iguadala went to Detriot who is stockpiling TEs also claiming Egnew from dolphins…apparently Eric Ebron isn’t ready to own the NFL… Yet we cry about Marcus Smith needing time..lol

Hype to watch Margus Play extended minutes Thursday

13. 13 anon said at 8:11 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Those are mental vs physical issues. If Marcus was flashing pass rush ability but his head was still swimming, i’d be like ok more time, but he’s just an athlete. So if he’s not a pass rusher or ready to play OLB day one, why was he picked in the first round? You can get prospects in later rounds.

I’m not saying Marcus won’t be good with time, he’ll be hopefully a better Barwin, which is ok. Just shows all that BPA is nonsense.

14. 14 GEAGLE said at 8:14 AM on August 26th, 2014:

BPA is nonsense? LOL cuz Kiper didn’t think he was worth 26?… Two teams with the next 5 picks wanted Marcus…
    3 years from now, the player he will be, will probably match his draft stock…

Plenty of smart people knew Marcus was a top 40 player even if the consensus had a louder voice

15. 15 anon said at 8:29 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If it takes 3 years for him to become a first round talent is it really worth it? You can’t get a guy in the next two years who my show quicker?

The other two teams that wanted him didn’t need pas rushers – Smith would be on the bench in both those schemes. We needed another OLB, we reached for one b/c after Smith there wasn’t “anything” left.

16. 16 GEAGLE said at 8:32 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Ebron has been HORRIBLE..he was a top 13 pick… Does the fact that he has looked like a 6th round pick in August mean he wasn’t the BPA at 13? Does his struggle mean 3 years from now, which is when paid pofessionals in the front office actually start judging he wont be considered the BPA?

There is NO FUCKING RATIONAL REASON why any eagles fan should be bad mouthing Marcus smith in August… Just ridiculous

17. 17 76mustang said at 11:47 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Trent isn’t getting any younger. 3-4 relies on a stable of versatile LBs. Are you going to find Trent’s replacement in FA? What’s wrong with taking a player in the first round that has to develop? There are numerous positions and talent situations that put first round picks in a developmental role the first season.

Come year 3 in the league, you can measure Marcus against the likes of Mack, Barr, Shazier, Ford, Lawrence, Van Noy, Murphy, Attaochu, and see if he measures up to 1st round talent.

18. 18 Dominik said at 8:28 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I literally never saw any play from Igwenagu. According to Football Outsiders, he didn’t play one single snap last season. Lol. Was probably inactive for all 17 games.

I can’t even say that the guy sucks, because how should I know? I was just always curious why he’s even on the roster. Didn’t have a play I saw this Preseason also.

19. 19 GEAGLE said at 10:51 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Seriously!! I honestly notice Jon Dorenbos more than I have noticed

20. 20 Anders said at 4:42 PM on August 26th, 2014:

Emil Iggy, Donald Hawkins (UDFA for us this year), Kruger and Kadron (another UDFA this year)

21. 21 RobNE said at 6:39 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Does that mean he has to be on the final 53, or does that only apply when you sign other team’s practice team players?

22. 22 GEAGLE said at 6:49 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Shocker

23. 23 A_T_G said at 7:41 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If the Bills had signed him, it would have been bull.

The 49ers signing him would have only been miner.

24. 24 GEAGLE said at 7:44 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Nice!

25. 25 anon said at 8:06 AM on August 26th, 2014:

That’s ok i’m hoping the Hawks or the Bills or the Texans or Steelers have some LBs/DBs they need to cut.

26. 26 GEAGLE said at 8:11 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Bills lost Kiko, they won’t have LB to spare..
    Steelers drafted LB in first round two years in a row which says their other LBs are Meh

27. 27 anon said at 8:15 AM on August 26th, 2014:

would you trade kendricks this year for Kiko?

28. 28 GEAGLE said at 8:16 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Fuck no… Why would I want to trade a healthy kid who will make a probowl by next year. Kendrick is special…. I want to see us add another kendricks(draft his little brother), not lose a kendrick… Plus I view Kiko as a fit in Meco’s role, not Kendricks …

Plus I’m not sure Chip and Kiko get along or not

29. 29 Pennguino said at 1:18 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Here is the other factor. You only have one year left on Foles after this year. Lets say Foles take the team to a 10-2 record with a month left to play. He missed one game and Sanchez lit it up during that game. Preliminary talks with his agent have them asking for 25 million a year. Can the team take care of him at that price or does the “Plug in any QB” come into play? If they have Sanchez they have leverage. If they don’t they have a Franchise tag.

I don’t see Nick going hard ball with them but if they trade Sanchez they lose a HUGE equalizer.

30. 30 the midatlantic said at 1:27 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Sanchez is on a one year deal. I don’t see the leverage.

31. 31 Baloophi said at 2:46 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Why can’t we say it together? The Iggles Blitz chorus!

32. 32 Baloophi said at 1:27 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Sanchez is only on a one year deal, so he wouldn’t really be leverage – he’d be looking for a big payday as well. If the suggestion is that the Eagles would try to sign Sanchez for far less, they’d be working off a spotty career with the Jets and one great regular season game in Kelly’s system, vs. a fresh 10 win system with a guy who would then have put together two solid seasons.

33. 33 anon said at 8:05 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Haha, you mean a guy with two trips to NFC champs who looks great with the second team – even against the first team Ds?

I can’t believe i just defended Sanchize.

34. 34 Pennguino said at 12:41 PM on August 26th, 2014:

True but Kelly knows him from his USC days and they have tape on him for the pros. They had crap at WR and a defensive minded HC. Sanchez was immature and got caught up in the Big City Lights of New York.
    They might be able to get him more on a Keap deal with a higher salary late in the deal if he proves to be the guy. You know they will kick the tires if they think Foles is not going to be signable.
    Is this all hypothetical or planning for the future?

35. 35 Anders said at 4:20 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If Foles asks for anything north of 20 per year, I tell him to get lost and tag Sanchez and give both another year

36. 36 anon said at 8:03 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Why do you think sanchez is here. Foles has very little leverage for a crazy deal now, especially given the way Sanchize played preseason

37. 37 Scott J said at 8:15 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If Foles asks for over 20 mil, then he probably had an incredible year, better than Aaron Rodgers, so you might as well pay him. If you tag Sanchez, you’ll probably have to pay him over 18 million.

38. 38 Pennguino said at 12:41 PM on August 26th, 2014:

Didn’t think about the tag on Sanchez. Good call.

39. 39 Baloophi said at 1:57 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Tough call here. Barring some sort of career-ending injury for Foles or a complete performance nosedive (both statistically unlikely), I can’t see Sanchez signing with the Eagles next year – he’ll be looking for a real chance to start somewhere. In that sense, you’d like to get some value from him before walking (other than emergency value). If you think Barkley (or street hire) could reasonably weather the storm during – say – a 4 game, mid-season Foles-less stretch, then maybe you pull the trigger. If the Rams won’t fork over a second rounder straight up, I might try to get creative and go for Tre Mason (a 3rd rounder who isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire this pre-season but would be a lot of fun for us in the future), and a 2015 4th or 5th. That might be palatable for the Rams, and, more importantly, would give us a comical log-jam at RB. Again, that’s only if you think Barkley (or street hire) wouldn’t kill you, AND you’re gambling on relative health from Foles.

IF – however – the internal analysis suggests Barkley (or street hire) would scuttle the ship during a weak NFC East year in the middle of McCoy’s prime, then it’s definitely not worth the risk. It’s easy to forget that Sanchez has actually won playoff games, and as we’ve learned again and again from the other East Rutherford team, anything can happen in the post-season. As much faith as I have in the drafting prowess of the new regime, even a second round pick is not worth a steady hand in the playoffs… provided that steady hand doesn’t carry a football into his offensive lineman’s butt.

40. 40 deg0ey said at 3:48 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Totally agreed on all counts and I’d add ‘Why would the Rams trade anything of value for a guy on a one year deal?’
    On the assumption that they’re going to cut Bradford next summer (for a cap saving of $13m), you could argue that trading for Sanchez makes them a far worse team in the long run – first they’d have to give up assets to get him, then he probably walks at the end of the season and there’s a good chance he wins enough games to drag them out of Mariota Range in the draft (feel free to substitute ‘Mariota’ for whoever the best QB is by the time the draft gets here).
    I’d say that Sanchez is too valuable to the Eagles and the picks are too valuable to the Rams for any kind of deal to happen here. Unless, of course, St Louis thinks Barkley could be a guy worth trying to develop as a starter. Maybe Chip would ship Matt to Missouri for a pick and replace him with GJ.

41. 41 Anders said at 4:26 AM on August 26th, 2014:

While I think the rams are overrated, that team still wins around 6 games and are out of top 2 or even top 3 depending on quality

42. 42 anon said at 7:40 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Think their rating was totally dependent on QB play — their defense is legit and they have good offensive weapons

43. 43 Anders said at 4:40 PM on August 26th, 2014:

and I think Bradford is terrible, Kellen Clemens played better than him last year

44. 44 eagleyankfan said at 8:38 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Sanchez is ok in limited time in pre-season games and suddenly there’s a market for him next year? Not to mention that it is still Chips system that helps him. I can see more ways than 1 that Sanchez stays here because it’s a good situation….

45. 45 anon said at 8:43 AM on August 26th, 2014:

We’re paying sanchez like $2m. He probably makes $10m off the bat as a starter.

46. 46 eagleyankfan said at 10:54 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If I’m the owner of another team, I’m not thinking “We HAVE to get Sanchez to start for our team next year”. There’s zero proof he’s any good. Pre-seasons means nothing. Now if Foles goes down and Sanchez starts like 4 games and does well, that’s a different story. As of right now though, there’s still no market for Sanchez.

47. 47 Pennguino said at 12:57 PM on August 26th, 2014:

Well put. Seattle, San Fran, GB and NO are all above the Eagles. STL was a sleeper team with that defense and Bradford was finally coming along. San Fran has been hit hard with injuries and the Smith soap opra. I don’t think they are the same team or threat this year. We were a missed FG from beating NO (if they miss the FG or we make ours). Tha leaves GB and SEA. The new way the game is being called I think we can take Seattle. That just leaves GB.
    I think they will dominate the East and take the division. That means we are playoff bound. I wouldn’t want to rest my hope on Barkley as my back up this year going into the meat of the playoffs. Too many pluses on keeping Mark vs a crapshot draft pick.

48. 48 Nicodemus_09 said at 2:56 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I think like a lot of people I scoffed at the signing if Sanchez. All I could see was one of NFL’s all time great bloopers & a demoralized (even more than usual) Jets fan base. Then this summer happened & I started seeing the guy that won a significant amount of games& played in some big playoff contests. I see a guy that I feel could absolutely win games for us if (please no) Foles gets hurt. So as soon as I started hearing the Sanchez to St. Louis hype train leaving the station, I asked myself this: If Foles goes down for a month or more, would a 3rd. Round pick be worth our season going in the toilet with Barfley ( & I ABSOLUTELY believe it would)? MY answer is NO FLIPPIN’ way! If Sanchez kept playing like he is now , I think he honestly would keep us in the hunt for the division crown. Anyway, that’s how I feel. I’ve heard reports that the Rams are OK with Shaun Hill starting. If they want our Barkley Barbie Doll, fine with me. Have them toss us a used washing machine Ed Monix style & good riddance. But leave Sanchez right the hell where he is please.

49. 49 GEAGLE said at 7:09 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Chips trying to win a Super Bowl this year…he ain’t trading our seasons insurance policy

50. 50 76mustang said at 11:26 AM on August 26th, 2014:

So you readily admit you were wrong about Sanchez, but are certain that Barkley is a Barbie Doll POS.

People were all concerned about O Line depth and the age of the starters, then from training camp, we learn that the Eagles O Line group is the deepest Stoutland has ever seen. We had 2 linemen taken from out cut down to 75!

The light hasn’t completely turned on for Barkley yet. He’s got good coaching and is in a great position to learn and grow. Chip likes what he sees so far, don’t be so quick to jettison a young, developing QB.

51. 51 Always Hopeful said at 12:08 PM on August 26th, 2014:

I’d love to see Barkley develop, but for me he doesn’t pass the eyeball test. He probably has enough of the mental make up to lead a team. I’m just not seeing the physical attributes. Don’t know how much upside he has in that area.

52. 52 Nicodemus_09 said at 3:41 PM on August 26th, 2014:

Actually no. If you noticed I never once mentioned his playing ability, lack thereof or potential. My negative feelings about Barkely are admittedly more superficial. Ive never felt he was a “Philly guy” & I hated using our 4th rd. Pick on him. However, with that anemic arm, I will say that if he ever tearing it up in this league, I’ll owe you a case of beer.

53. 53 76mustang said at 3:54 PM on August 26th, 2014:

Yeah, I see Barkley more in the vein of a Chad Pennington or Jeff Garcia arm strength wise, but he may be able to develop beyond that. Bigger need in Chip’s O is decision making speed and clarity – Matt, given time and reps, I think can develop and overcome his lack of arm strength to succeed in this offense. Mike Vick still has a cannon for an arm, but it took the revelation of Foles throwing receivers open to realize the full benefits of Chip’s offense.

54. 54 Nicodemus_09 said at 4:12 PM on August 26th, 2014:

Hey just to be clear, my picayune issues with Barkley DO NOT mean I want him to fail. If the kid turns out to be like either of your afformentioned QB’s it would be awesome for him & therefore us. Here’s what I stand firmly by however, I do not believe at all that he is ready to take the reigns from an injured (please god no) Foles & keep us in contention this year. That’s why I’m so adamant about keeping Sanchez. And that if we had to trade a QB, I’d want it to be Barkley. Whatever personal little ticks I have with Barkley I PROMISE YOU Do NOT extend to wanting to see one if our own fail. Case in point, I hated Jason Babin’s guts, but it sure didn’t stop me from enjoying seeing him plant Eli on his ear.

55. 55 Dragon_Eagle said at 5:32 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Deg has it right. Our min price exceeds their max price. Furthermore, if the Rams are going to give up assets for another QB, I think they’d be more likely to inquire about a younger QB with some franchise potential like Kirk Cousins. Bradford’s career is effectively over. Rams need to find a new franchise QB. Sanchez may still have that potential somewhere, but I would think less so than someone younger including Mr. Barkley. I see the Rams as more likely to take a cheap flyer on someone like that to see if that guy could legitimately compete for the starting position with the early round rookie they’ll draft next year.

Random Fun Fact for week#2 – Last year, Indy beat 3 elite teams – Seattle, SF, and Denver.

56. 56 anon said at 7:37 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If Bradford’s cap hit wasn’t so crazy i’d be fine taking him in a trade. Let him re-hab and then “Mark Sanchez” him next year.

57. 57 GEAGLE said at 8:10 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Rams should just cut him…. But it’s not proper etiquette to cut your guy when he get injured Iike this and they are clearly worried about perception, but they should grow a pair and cut him. They paid that dude enough and got nothing out of him, that’s one dude who doesn’t deserve another season of free game checks.
    Grow a pair an cut him!

58. 58 Dragon_Eagle said at 10:45 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Can they just cut him? Don’t they need to reach an injury settlement which may be very costly? Plus how much cap room would it save them? If they don’t save much, might as well keep him around to compete with Mariota or whoever next year.

59. 59 bubqr said at 6:12 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Everyone is focused on them getting a “proven” starter(Sanchez, or Cassel), but if I were in their position (that you described well Tommy, unlikely to make it out of this division), I would be trying to roll the dice on a partially unproven young guy: If it works, good, you got your replacement QB, if not then you have a high draft pick next year where you’ll target your QB of the future. If I were them, I’d try to get a Mallett, Cousins, or I’d even try Barkley instead of Sanchize, whatever they feel.

60. 60 GEAGLE said at 7:07 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Cousins or Barkley would make some sense…

Mallet and Sanchez don’t make sense… If you want one, you negotiate with them at the end of the year and it doesn’t cost u any assets

61. 61 bubqr said at 7:15 AM on August 26th, 2014:

It does, it gives you a season of evaluation of them, before getting in a draft with more potential franchise QBs than the latest one.

62. 62 GEAGLE said at 8:05 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Impossible to do business with the Rams… There will be a major discrepancy between went Chip would want in return and what the rams would be willing to give up..

I’m sure Barkley can be had for a 3rd.. But why would a team that has to draft a franchise QB in the draft trade a top 100 pick on an evaluation flier? They could end up needing that 3rd round pick on draft night to move up a spot or two to draft their franchise QB..

We aren’t going to get a deal done with rams..

63. 63 anon said at 8:16 AM on August 26th, 2014:

MB for a third would be almost as bad as the RGIII trade.

64. 64 GEAGLE said at 9:02 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Kind of curious to see what he will look like next year, year 3 in this offense….

I don’t think it’s too late for him to develop into a decent QB.. I still think he Can grow into Chad Pennington type… Did Pennington play his first or second year?

65. 65 anon said at 9:46 AM on August 26th, 2014:

it’s tough really. you gotta say this system is qb friendly (it’s made 3 “mediocre”qbs look good). If MB doesn’t look great in this scheme how will he look in a scheme that asks a lot more of him

66. 66 76mustang said at 11:14 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Agree – Pennington or Jeff Garcia level player at this point, but I don’t think the light has gone completely on for Matt yet. Next year will be the better indicator of Barkley’s ceiling and floor.

I also think that people really underestimated Sanchez’s talent and the importance of his game experience. I liked Sanchez when he played for Pete Carroll at USC – he looked comfortable and confident in that offense, unlike the Jets antiquated system.

What I really like is Mark wanting to remain an Eagle – he loves what’s going on with this organization, and wants to be a part of it, at least for this season. Backup QB is too important to gamble for a future draft selection. A lot of fans don’t think the Eagles are quite SB ready, but we haven’t really seen the Defense unleashed. I really expect the Eagles D to surprise and confound a good number of O Coordinators this year. I do think the team is positioned well to compete deep into the playoffs.

I also think the Eagles PS will contain some real poachable talent, and Howie will need to be proactive in bottom of the roster churn – Eagles O line depth is better than we knew, and at the very least, teams taking an Eagle know the player has gotten a lot of reps and is likely in better shape than players on their own roster, not to mention the whole Sports Science insights.

This is going to be an exciting season!!!

67. 67 anon said at 7:35 AM on August 26th, 2014:

How are you going to motivate anyone on your team w/ a half-a**ed QB? No one wants their team to play like the 2012 Eagles did toward the end of the season.

I can’t believe Bradford has another year on his contract and has a $16m hit next year — hopefully that GM is no longer with the team.

68. 68 Dominik said at 8:36 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Old CBA. I sure prefer the new CBA when it comes to Rookie contracts. It’s just ludacris to pay a 22 year old players who didn’t play ONE SNAP in this league that amount of money.

69. 69 CrackSammich said at 8:49 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Eh. I’m torn. As a fan of the team, I’d rather they not be in the cap hell that Rams are in with Bradford. But as a member of the society, I will side with the players just about every time when it comes to them getting paid.

70. 70 Dominik said at 9:47 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Hey, nothing against players who deserve to get paid. I just think it’s absurd to pay rookies, who didn’t show anything at the point they sign their contract, the kind of money Bradford (f.e.) received.

2nd and 3rd contract should be pay days, imho.

71. 71 CrackSammich said at 10:27 AM on August 26th, 2014:

As far as I’m concerned, if you play the game, you deserve the profits from it. Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t really care if the old white guys in the front office of just about every team make another cent. blahblahblahslaveryblah. Capping the rookie salaries is a compelling argument, but they reaallllyyyy capped it.

72. 72 Dominik said at 10:52 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If Lurie (or even more funny Jerrah) loses a 50 million investment, I won’t cry for them. But it harms the team and, more importantly, the fanbases, too, to pay a QB like Bradford that kind of money.

That’s why I like the big pay day after you showed the NFL that you are a good player. If a team signs you on a big contract and you suck – well, you could watch him for 4 years and didn’t scout him good enough or made a stupid decision.

But guys coming from college, you can’t evaluate them, really. Players should be able to earn big dollars, but it should be because of NFL tape.

73. 73 CrackSammich said at 11:38 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I think you make valid points, but this is probably one of those issues where you’re just going to have to pick one side of the debate. Philosophically, I side with the workers over the owner in just about everything (Oh, how I wish there was a legitimate Labor political party…), especially in industries in which the work takes such a punishing toll on its workers. I don’t feel bad about any player getting overpaid when the only thing that means is that the owner didn’t get it instead. If the teams were going out of business, that would be an entirely different story. They’re doing just fine. All of them. Pay the players.

74. 74 Dominik said at 1:47 PM on August 26th, 2014:

I see where you’re coming from. I’m with you when it comes to the second contract, but for the first, like I said, not so much.

With the second contract, there is a reason you earn it – it’s fairer, because the player and the team know each other and decide on that.

75. 75 bubqr said at 6:16 AM on August 26th, 2014:

For the sake of discussion, would you consider a Robert Quinn for Nick Foles deal? If so, would any side need to add more in the deal? I think Quinn might be one of the most underrated Defensive Player of the Year contender in recent years, some people don’t even know his name. Sanchez’ preseason got me thinking I have to say, and I would be hard pressed to refuse a straight up deal…

76. 76 GEAGLE said at 6:59 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Sure… Then if we can only trade Vinny Curry for JJ Watt we will be set

77. 77 bubqr said at 7:14 AM on August 26th, 2014:

My post was maybe too long for you, but there was one part saying “If so, would any side need to add more in the deal?”. If you feel that Quinn’s and Foles value are as wide apart as Vinnie Curry and JJ Watt’s one, then I’m even more worried about your understanding of the NFL than your reading skills (or sense of humour, for that matter).

Moreover, my poste was 100% unrealistic, but I’m sure that people have completely different answers to that, depending on their opinion of Foles himself, their perception of the importance of Chip’s system, and the value they put on a pass rusher vs a potential franchise QB. It would not shock me to see some people thinking that a straight up deal would be fair, while other people would think one side has to throw something else in this trade…

78. 78 GEAGLE said at 7:43 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Ok

79. 79 anon said at 8:26 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Do rams run a 43? Quinn is the man and if i had him id probably switch to 43 but not sure they would. However they have studs all over that line i’d take any of them — quinn is probably the most expensive.

80. 80 D3FB said at 2:29 PM on August 26th, 2014:

They do run a 43 but his pro day times were insane. He’s super athletic and could easily transition to OLB (relatively speaking)

81. 81 Anders said at 4:39 PM on August 26th, 2014:

Quinn is also the best 4-3 DE in the game, think somewhere around Strahan in his prime as a minimum on how good he is

82. 82 GEAGLE said at 6:47 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Non issue…. Just a ridiculous media creation. Yesterday 37 times I heard sports center talk about the possibility of us trading them Sanchez, and it’s just not realistic. This topic has gotten so much more play than it deserved.

Would love to know who are the initial “inside sources” that started this fictional tale

83. 83 eagleyankfan said at 8:31 AM on August 26th, 2014:

there never is an “inside source” or “someone close to the situation”. Funny how some fans were “I don’t want Mr. Butt Fumble on my team” and now they are all “I’m not trading Sanchez”….

84. 84 anon said at 8:34 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I’m one of them. Though i’d be fine trading. I’m fine changing my mind.

85. 85 GEAGLE said at 8:49 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I Always made fun of him, but I said as a backup, he is probably one of the best in the league…
    But best backup in the league isn’t the same as predicting what Sanchez has done so far. he is performing like one of the best QBs in the NFL…I sure as hell didn’t see that coming!
    Saying he is performing like a top backup would be a major understatement….. I thought he could be a quality signing, but anyone who thought they would be seeing this level of play is a damn liar…especially so soon in his transition to this pffense

86. 86 Scott J said at 7:50 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Sanchez has played with some of our starters (Johnson, Sproles, Matthews) on offense, against opponents second stringers, and we’re talking about him as though he’s heading to Canton. They’re laughing at us in New York.

87. 87 anon said at 8:34 AM on August 26th, 2014:

He played against Steelers first string D with backups.

88. 88 barneygoogle said at 9:27 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Yea, they got the great Michael Vick who can’t even beat out a real 2nd level QB….

89. 89 Mike Roman said at 7:53 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I see 3 teams ahead of the Rams in that division. If I were the Rams, I wouldn’t spend much in resources to acquire a QB. From the Eagles perspective, I’d like to keep a very quality backup. Even if the Rams were to offer up a 2nd round pick, in my opinion, the insurance of having Sanchez if something were to happen to Foles far outweighs that pick. Not to mention, unless the Eagles can sweep their division, it’s imperative to take 2 games against the NFC West this year. I’d rather face Shaun Hill than Mark Sanchez. Now if the Rams wanted to do something crazy and put Legatron into the trade mix, then I’d listen. 🙂

90. 90 eagleyankfan said at 8:30 AM on August 26th, 2014:

3 teams? I’ll disagree there. I’d even say the Rams were going to fight to finish 2nd. Their D is very good, probably better than the 9’ers. To say the Cards are clearly better is just silly talk.

91. 91 GEAGLE said at 8:46 AM on August 26th, 2014:

cards should be better, but they took a beating on defense..
    LOst Dockett
    Darryl Washington
    dansby
    John Abraham is fresh out of rehab

92. 92 Mike Roman said at 9:21 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I don’t think the Cards were clearly better before the Bradford injury, but I think they’re clearly better now. Even with Bradford, that offense isn’t all that inspiring. That is why I still see the 9ers and the Cardinals ahead of them.

93. 93 GEAGLE said at 7:54 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If Stevie Johnson doesn’t make the Niners roster what does that do to the compensation we are owed in the Bryce brown trade?

94. 94 anon said at 8:32 AM on August 26th, 2014:

becomes a 4th i’d expect, but heard Harb. say he was doing amazing.

95. 95 GEAGLE said at 8:41 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Yeah I saw the report… But the fact that they were even questioning if he would make the roster worried me,,,,

I’m not expecting more than a 4th anyway.. Kapernick is a fraud,.. Like Vick he is just punt returner with a Cannon… Vick, kAp, RG3 these guys are a step above Antoine Randall El.. They should throw once a game off of a WR reverse… They ain’t really QBs.

How can a QB’s weakness be throwing from the pocket? Isn’t that a re requisite for playing QB lol?
    Kapernick is going to implode, and Stevie won’t be fetching us a 3rd round pick… 49ers offense will have to put up many more points to win a game then they are accustomed to needing to score hating a dominant defense and elite Oline run game.
    Front 7 is in injury shambles
    Secondary is average even if healthy
    Run game prob isn’t as potent as it was
    Oline has injuries, major hold out with Boone,and Iupatiis a sitting duck contract who knows he won’t be a niner next year..

Kapernick will have to be much better with his arm if they are going to score enough to win, which in my mind means he will be exposed.. Kid still is an AMATUER in terms of important basics like looking off safeties, going thru progressions, not staying on a WR too long, not decide who you will throw it to before the ball is even snapped….

Don’t see how Stevie can reach the totals we need to get a 3rd round pick for Bryce,,,..

Watch for a Niners implosion and them missing the playoffs … They are lucky the cardinals lost a bunch of key defenders too, or I could def see Cardinals overthrow them in the rankings…but Their defense has also taken a beating

96. 96 RobNE said at 9:03 AM on August 26th, 2014:

so then the Rams really weren’t that far out of that division. I think there’s an argument for the Rams to trade something of value for someone who can help them win this year.

97. 97 GEAGLE said at 9:10 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If we were talking about trading for a WR, running back! safety! maybe,,
    ,,,
    You are doing anything with a QB you add a week before September… By the time he learns new language, the playbook, gets some timing down with a bunch of new weapons…. If you have to trade for a QB this late, I’m sure you have accepted that you won’t win a SB this year…
    Ita prob not worth trading any valuable picks for a QB at this point and it’s impossible to do a deal with Chip Kelly for Sanchez… Chip will value him too much, he would ask more than anyone would be willing to pay, because that’s how important Sanchez is to us right…
    He is literally insurance for our entire season..and next season… God forbid FOles blows out a knee in January, you better extend Sanchez for next year…… Sanchez is too valuable to Chip for anyone to pay that price to add a QB this late, who only has a year on his deal, especially when the QB doesn’t want to go back to playing for his Offensive coordinator who is on your staff… 00.001% chance Sanchez becomes a ram this year

98. 98 anon said at 9:06 AM on August 26th, 2014:

you wouldn’t put Peyton in a system where he’s gotta run a bunch of bootlegs, read option, etc.

If i have a running QB why make him sit in the pocket if he’s that’s not his skill set? that’s bad coaching.

99. 99 GEAGLE said at 9:11 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Lol. Let’s make excuses for QBs incapable of passing from the pocket lol..

Thank fuckin Heavens we don’t have this problem

100. 100 Finlay Jones said at 7:59 AM on August 26th, 2014:

It’s even more galling that Barkley sucks, given we could trade Sanchize now if he didn’t.

101. 101 GEAGLE said at 8:06 AM on August 26th, 2014:

If the rams were smart they would try to trade for Glennon since the Bucs don’t value him

102. 102 anon said at 8:31 AM on August 26th, 2014:

That’s not true. Not being ready to start is different than not valuing the player.

103. 103 Dominik said at 8:40 AM on August 26th, 2014:

You’re right, but naming McCown the starter before the first OTA snaps was kind of weird. They probably got McCown to sign with the promise to start, but it was weird nonetheless.

104. 104 anon said at 9:09 AM on August 26th, 2014:

yeah that’s the reality. Why leave Chi to be a backup? Glennon was bad last year – i know b/c i had vjax in fantasy. McCown is a vet, as a player on that team i’d feel better about him than Glennon, guys want to win.

105. 105 GEAGLE said at 9:12 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Glennon was bad? Thought his performance was consistent with rookie years of some quality QBs.

FOles didn’t have a good rookie year, but be showed plenty of signs of being capable of being a nice NFL QB… Glennon showed some ability….. But the negative results were expected

106. 106 anon said at 10:27 AM on August 26th, 2014:

yup, sanchez looked terrible but look at him now. I wonder if the rams will call josh freeman.

107. 107 Dragon_Eagle said at 10:42 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Can’t imagine anyone outside of Canada would call Josh Freeman.

108. 108 Always Hopeful said at 11:08 AM on August 26th, 2014:

“Poor man’s” Foles considering the situation he faced in Tampa compared to Foles situation his rookie year with Eagles…

109. 109 Dominik said at 9:49 AM on August 26th, 2014:

It was strange nonetheless. Smith could only watch tape of Glennon and decided he will be the back-up.

I like the way Chip handled this situation when he came here more.

110. 110 GEAGLE said at 8:45 AM on August 26th, 2014:

They didn’t even let him compete for the starting QB..

Personally, I think they are wasting the experience Glennon got last year being thrust into action… What they are doing is like us, going back to Vick after FOles was forced to get rookie experience… If you throw a QB as a rookie into the fire it’s kind of like just ripping the band aid off, once you do that, you might as well continue to grow him, since that was the hard part and you already got it out of the way…

At the very least they should have had a fair and open competition…

111. 111 MattE said at 9:18 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Casey Mathews and Barkley for Michael Sam. Blockbuster.

112. 112 GEAGLE said at 9:24 AM on August 26th, 2014:

The kicker McManus has been cut. Should be one of our top options..we are 22nd on waiver wire…
    Recently cut kickers:
    McManus
    Hopkins
    Jay Feely
    Nate Potter (dolphins)

113. 113 barneygoogle said at 9:25 AM on August 26th, 2014:

I would demand a conditional 1st round pick for a 27 year old experienced QB with great upside. Maybe a 2016 #1, if Sanchez plays the whole year as a starter.
    Nothing less. Look around the league–how many comparable #2 QB’s are there?

114. 114 GEAGLE said at 10:07 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Brandon McManus kicked 10 touchbacks for giants this preseason and hit 2 or 2 FG(75 yarder in Practice allegedly).. Gave Josh a run for his money in kicker competition..
    He is a GUARENTEED MAJOR upgrade to Alex on kickoffs….

Wish we would have traded the Giants Dennis Kelly or something so we didn’t have to sweat out your 22nd waiver wire spot…

115. 115 RobNE said at 10:08 AM on August 26th, 2014:

question: I thought a knock on Sanchez was that he doesn’t handle pressure well, makes bad decisions etc.

I’m not trying to restart the Vick arguments, but I thought (IMHO) he had that issue. He could look great in preseason (vanilla defenses), but then once he got some pressure, could make horrible decisions.

Do people here think Sanchez might just look better (better offense, better offensive coach, preseason) than he was, or he IS better? I imagine it’s somewhere in between. But I guess my real question is, if he couldn’t handle pressure well, have we seen much to even address that one way or the other?

How good is he?

116. 116 Tumtum said at 10:34 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Great question. I hope we don’t find out. Nick Foles’s history says we will though.

117. 117 Tumtum said at 10:32 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Shaun Hill played well a few years ago in Det. I wouldn’t panic if I were them. They are going to be a run based team anyway.

118. 118 anon said at 10:42 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Any thoughts about OLB Victor Butler? he’s on waivers — can you pick up a guy and put him on pup?

119. 119 Jernst said at 10:44 AM on August 26th, 2014:

2nd round pick – yes. 3rd – no

120. 120 anon said at 10:45 AM on August 26th, 2014:

i’d take player over pick.

121. 121 Jernst said at 11:36 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Me too

122. 122 anon said at 11:23 AM on August 26th, 2014:

Former Eagles first-round OG Danny Watkins is done with football.

29-year-old Watkins was the 23rd overall pick in the 2011
    draft but was a colossal bust. He was cut by coach Chip Kelly last
    season and landed in Miami, playing just six offensive snaps. Watkins
    worked as a firefighter before joining the NFL. He’s now back at the
    firehouse, working at a station in Dallas.

123. 123 Maggie said at 7:18 PM on August 26th, 2014: