Jaccpot Game

Posted: September 20th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 133 Comments »

The Scins come to town for a big game against the Eagles on Sunday. The winner of this game will sit atop the NFC East, macing it the biggest game in recent NFL history. But that story angle isn’t as compelling as the return of DeSean Jaccson.

You may remember Jaccson from his time in Philly. He was the quiet, unassuming receiver that the Eagles abruptly parted ways with after it became clear that he would not give up his quest to become the nation’s poet laureate. When Chip gave him an ultimatum, inside zone or iambic pentameter, Jaccson chose poetry, thus ending his time as an Eagle.

At least that’s how I remember things. It might have been a bit different than that.

I wrote a preview for PE.com. No goofy humor there, just football analysis.

This is a really interesting game. The Skins were bad in the opener and then destroyed an awful Jacksonville team last week. Are the Skins any good? Winning on Sunday would be huge for them.

The return of DeSean is a fun storyline for some, but I don’t think it is a critical part of the game. Heck, we still don’t know how much he will play or how effective he will be.

The bigger storyline for me is the play of Nick Foles. The Jags got some pressure on him in the opener and that got to Foles. The Colts didn’t sack him once and didn’t get much pressure. Foles played better. The Skins got 10 sacks last week, but that had a lot to do with bad play by the Jags. Can the Skins pressure Foles? If so, how will Foles handle that?

I’m hoping Foles continues to improve and actually plays well for the first time this year. This would be a good week for him to have a good game and start hitting on some of those throws where he and the receivers have just been a bit off.

The big question on defense will be who starts at ILB with Mychal Kendricks out. My vote is for Emmanuel Acho. This will be a huge opportunity for him if he gets the nod. Maybe a week of preparation will bring out the best in Casey Matthews, should he start, but I’m not feeling overly optimistic about that possibility.

I hope this game doesn’t come down to another big play by Darren Sproles. I’d rather Shady or Mac or Coop step up and deliver a huge play this week. That said, Sproles has delivered a big run and a big catch. Could this be the week for a big punt return?

I am excited to see the team play some NFC East football. Going against the AFC South just isn’t the same. Feels good to feel the pressure of the game.

133 Comments on “Jaccpot Game”

1. 1 Jack Waggoner said at 2:36 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I kan’t wait

2. 2 anon said at 2:36 PM on September 20th, 2014:

3. 3 eagleyankfan said at 4:11 PM on September 20th, 2014:

First what?

4. 4 wee2424 said at 4:39 PM on September 20th, 2014:

He thought he was first to post. He was wrong lol. I always try to get 1st to but then when i hit the post button someone always beats me by like half second. Aggravating.

5. 5 anon said at 1:16 AM on September 21st, 2014:

People trying ot jack my handle. All this d-riding making me feel like i’m GEAGLE.

6. 6 GEAGLE said at 9:10 AM on September 21st, 2014:

“It’s hard out here for a pimp. When he tryin to get this money for the rent. For the Cadillacs and gas money spent, because a whole lot of bitches talkin shit”-hustle n flow

7. 7 Sb2bowl said at 10:19 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Geagle– hey man, I’m in lot E3 at the Linc if you want to chill. Right next to the Comcast Sportsnet CSNPHILLY.com Box Truck

8. 8 iceberg584 said at 2:37 PM on September 20th, 2014:

The coaches were mum on it, but I am confident that we will see nothing but Emmanuel Acho at ILB. Casey ruined any opportunity he had with that awful showing in Indianapolis. The fact that Acho came in for the last series (which ended in a three-and-out) says it all.

9. 9 wee2424 said at 2:54 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Hold on. Mathews played poorly?

10. 10 gherbox said at 6:24 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Im as surprised as you.

11. 11 Maggie said at 6:31 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Surprised he played at all?

12. 12 Dominik said at 7:54 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Why split the reps during the week, then? I have nothing against Billy D, but that’s crazy. Casey Matthews being a STer and all, but for the hell of it, he simply can’t play Defense. There is no grey area, it’s a fact, he showed it all the time when called upon.

Acho will probably never be a Pro Bowler or even a starter, but there is at least a slight chance he plays decent. There is a good chance he’s significantly better than CM, which isn’t hard. Why not give him all the reps during the week? That’s no time for “Acho has to earn the role”. Casey was chosen ahead of him for the 53 because he’s the better STer, not because he’s better on Defense. Guess what, playing Defense is what matters against the Skins.

+ CM was so bad Davis had to pull him out of the game. He even showed that he can’t get the job done in this season. On Monday, for god’s sake.

13. 13 anon said at 1:15 AM on September 21st, 2014:

he had a tackle in that game according to the stat sheet, not sure if it was ST or ILB.

14. 14 iceberg584 said at 2:39 PM on September 20th, 2014:

This would be the perfect week to use Sproles as a decoy (particularly in the screen game) and work it to other weapons off of that.

15. 15 Mitchell said at 2:40 PM on September 20th, 2014:

That’s what I had said last week. Are the Skins gonna key in on Sproles? If they do we have an all-pro back, they can’t account for both.

16. 16 Maggie said at 6:23 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Yeah, but..but, the NFL is a passing league! Running backs aren’t important! Right??

17. 17 wee2424 said at 2:49 PM on September 20th, 2014:

This is the perfect week to use sproles and the screen game period. The skins blitz more then any team. Use that against them. It also minimizes the effectivness of Orakpo and Kerrigan. Skins Are also good against the run so the screen game will wear the front 7 down.

18. 18 anon said at 1:15 AM on September 21st, 2014:

yeah i need mccoy to get all the fantasy points.

19. 19 Mitchell said at 2:39 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Tommy, this gave me a really good laugh, ” Maybe a week of preparation will bring out the best in Casey Matthews, should he start.” Keep ’em coming!

20. 20 GEAGLE said at 3:33 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I can’t fathom “the corky” of the Mathews family getting the start
    Acho was getting on my nerves yesterday tweeting pics about him watching the skins/jags film. I would hope your watching the damn film you Donkey

21. 21 Iskar36 said at 5:34 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Seriously dude, why do you seem to hate Acho so much. It is one thing to think he is overhyped because he got surprisingly cut last year, but you seem to go out of your way to dislike him.

22. 22 GEAGLE said at 5:47 PM on September 20th, 2014:

No clue WTF u are talking about. I don’t dislike Acho. I was Mad when we cut him last year.. How the hell can anyone hate Acho when We have Casey friggin Mathews at his position? With that said, I’m not delusional into thinking that he won’t be a liability….but I don’t think many teams have much better 4th ILBs then him..,
    ,,,
    With that saidm who the fuck are you to have any say in what player I personally like or don’t like? I could see if it was a really good player, but if I don’t like Acho, so the fuck what, and who the hell are you to have any opinion on it?

23. 23 Flyin said at 6:55 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Ha! Acho and Iskar36 got you all riled up!

24. 24 A_T_G said at 10:25 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Here is something less funny: maybe last week WAS the best of Casey Mathews.

25. 25 wee2424 said at 2:59 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Havent heard many peopke talk about this. Doesnt anyone think if Djax doesnt play that would be HUGE for us. Our CB’s outside of Boykin arent exactly fast. I could absolutly see Jackson burning Williams on a double move. Wash has a good ground game, without Jackson we wont have to play as deep on certain plays. If Jackson plays he is going to be pumped for this game. A highly motivated Jackson scares me.

26. 26 Bert's Bells said at 3:15 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Jackson COULD burn any of the Eagles on a double move, but who’s going to deliver the ball on a rope 30 plus yards from scrimmage?

27. 27 wee2424 said at 3:23 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I think any NFL QB if given the chance with no pressure in their face could hit an open receiver 30 yards downfeild. Cousins might not be an all-pro, but he is an nfl qb. You need to respect him to some degree. I remember seeeing Kolb hitting Djax downfeild when Mcnabb was hurt one year. Something tells me Cousins may end up being better then Kolb.

28. 28 Bert's Bells said at 4:16 PM on September 20th, 2014:

We’ll see. There’s nothing to suggest he can out throw coverage in his games so far. Of course, if he has 7 seconds in the pocket all bets are off but that’s got nothing to do with the defensive backs.

29. 29 GEAGLE said at 9:54 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Our WR can bury any of the putrid skins secondary on double moves too…

30. 30 GEAGLE said at 3:31 PM on September 20th, 2014:

No.. Our corners practiced against him every day. They felt his speed before. They know what they can get away with against him, and what will get them burnt,,, when playing an elite talent, it’s a major advantage for a CB to have already put his hands on that player and felt the power/speed he brings to the table… ITS much more dangerous facing a speedster like that, if you never really felt it for yourself yet…
    Plus with his shoulder, we would really rough him up and not let him off the line of scrimmage… I don’t really care if he plays or not..
    I’d worry more about Garçon than a WR our CB practiced against every day for an entire year.. Especially since cousin might not even have a strong enough arm to really weaponize Jaccson

31. 31 wee2424 said at 3:39 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Just because you practiced against him everyday a YEAR ago doesnt mean you can stop him. If i remember correctly last year durring training camp he was torching our secondary and peope were raving that it was the best he ever looked. The fact of the matter is that our corners are not fast, and they are known to bite on double moves. Not to mention you have that new emphasis on illegal holding. Wouldnt suprise me either if Washington uses him in creative lineups to feed him the ball.

32. 32 GEAGLE said at 3:53 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Billy will know if we can or can’t stop him, and if he can’t, he will know what we have to allocate to make sure we don’t let him go crazy against us,,
    I’m sure our CBs won some of the practice battles against him

33. 33 fran35 said at 7:12 PM on September 20th, 2014:

No….Williams stated exactly the opposite this week. He related jacc never really ran full speed in practice so it was all a different experience in a game.

34. 34 Maggie said at 6:26 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Jackson who? Is that the small WR on the Washington team who only managed 60 yards in a playoff game last year?

35. 35 xeynon said at 8:12 AM on September 21st, 2014:

This cuts both ways though. Fletcher and Williams are physical teams who can chuck inside five yards with the best of them. Jackson is small and easily bumped off his routes. Particularly with his shoulder problem, I think getting physical with him at the LOS could be effective.

36. 36 wee2424 said at 3:00 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Uh oh. Tommy did u use the R word?

37. 37 TommyLawlor said at 5:49 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Which is?

38. 38 Maggie said at 6:27 PM on September 20th, 2014:

theycallmerob uses the term “racist potato”.

39. 39 wee2424 said at 8:05 PM on September 20th, 2014:

By saying it i would be labbeled as politicaly incorrect.

40. 40 Media Mike said at 7:03 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I’m a big fan of ending the R word as the team name for Washington. The term really is somewhat nasty, but more importantly every team that isn’t us should be subject to horrible events. Losing a team name / mascot is awesome because it would really upset their loser fans.

41. 41 wee2424 said at 3:12 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Interesting stat. For the combine bench press sproles put up 23. Lynch put up 20 and Steven Jackson put up 16. Sproles is what, 5 foot 6 and 175 180? Pretty impressive.

42. 42 GEAGLE said at 3:39 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Chip called him the most fit player on the team the other day and raved about how well put together he is, not being the typical frail “small type of back”..said he was around 200lbs..which probable means he really weighs like 195lbs

43. 43 Pennguino said at 3:46 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Full arm extension for him is only 3 inches…. 🙂

44. 44 George said at 3:24 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Heck, we still don’t know how much he will play or how effective he will be.
    *hecc

45. 45 GEAGLE said at 3:37 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I’m sure our WRs will get some big plays this week against one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Their secondary makes ours look like the legion of boom. It’s bad. Merriweather is like half a step above Chung level, and Clark is just old… Has Deangelo hall ever made a play against the eagles?

46. 46 mtn_green said at 3:40 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I think Foles will throw more 50/50 balls hopefully wr can get em this week

47. 47 GEAGLE said at 3:50 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I assume we will connect on some big plays down field in the second half when our tempo has taken it’s toll and the pass rush slows down…but I’m hoping the OL improves enough to give FOles time in the first half before the tempo has gassed the Washington pass rushers,,…

Curious to see how their defense plays us.. They go into this game being the defense that has blitzed the most in the NFL. FOles has been surgical against the blitz even against the jags game when he struggled he was 5/5 against the blitz. What made them look good as a defense so far this year falls right into our hands. Do they really want to leave guys like Sproles, shady and Ertz with one on one matchups n no help? So I’m curious to see how they attack us… Same DC as last year, and he hasn’t had any success against our offense..skins have yet to beat Chip Kelly coached eagles team…

I assume a lot of spreading them out and forcing them to tackle shady in space. If we can not commit penalties and just gain 3 yards, we can get our tempo flowing and once we don’t let them substitute for 3 or 4 plays in a row, you see a bunch of big gassed defenders get burned for a big play. It’s important that we don’t commit penalties and gain enough yards to keep the sticks moving… If we get a first down or two like 5,6,7 plays without letting them substitute, odds are we will break a long play… So we can’t commit penalties or negative yards that stop our tempo

48. 48 wee2424 said at 4:01 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I dont ever remember him making a play against us. Maybe a PBU at some point. Actually when i think about it he had a sack against us years back somehow.

49. 49 GEAGLE said at 4:39 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I’d say they have the worst secondary in the division, which isn’t easy to do considering some of the slop the cowboys trot onto the field

50. 50 Flyin said at 6:49 PM on September 20th, 2014:

My only worry about Merriweather is a cheap shot. We’ll see if he really has changed his playing style.

51. 51 Insomniac said at 7:16 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Just don’t send Maclin and Ertz across the middle. Problem solved.

52. 52 Pennguino said at 3:45 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Fun opening! Gave me a good laugh over morning coffee. Thanks. Hoping for the win but readying for the loss. The message boards are going to blow up if they lose.

53. 53 Flyin said at 6:42 PM on September 20th, 2014:

That’s an understatement. They have blown up the last couple weeks. Scoreboard means nothing. Even when they win, they still lose.

54. 54 eagleyankfan said at 4:13 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I find the use of the word scins to be offense.

55. 55 Flyin said at 6:38 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Sconces agrees.

56. 56 bdbd20 said at 4:15 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Looking for a big day from all 3 TE’s. London was slow but he knew every play and every concept. New guys should be a little slow to react.

57. 57 wee2424 said at 4:19 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I dont see how Casey will have a big day. I expect Celek to stay in alot to help block against Kerrigan. He probably will have a few catches. Maybe a TD in which he will stay to block and then release for like a 5 yard TD. Ertz on the other hand i think will have a monster game.

58. 58 GEAGLE said at 5:51 PM on September 20th, 2014:

If we can run the ball, we should have some big play action opportunities against dumb player like Merriweather

59. 59 Mitchell said at 4:18 PM on September 20th, 2014:

What do we know about Dre Kirkpatrick from the Bengals? I know he was a first round pick a couple years ago but last time I heard he wasn’t even playing. Since we need help at corner…… idk.

60. 60 bdbd20 said at 4:20 PM on September 20th, 2014:

“No goofy humor there, just football analysis.”

I don’t even know you anymore.

61. 61 SteveH said at 4:29 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I wish tomorrows game was a sunday nighter. Hate it when life gets in the way of football.

62. 62 wee2424 said at 4:35 PM on September 20th, 2014:

At least your not stuck in florida. Was supposed to be down here for 6 months. Its been 2 years!!! Only time i can really catch a game is if its sunday or monday night. Fortunetly this thanksgiving i will be able to watch though

63. 63 truehaynes said at 11:34 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Firstrowsports has every game

64. 64 wee2424 said at 5:34 PM on September 21st, 2014:

Firstrowsports? Please wxolain.

65. 65 GEAGLE said at 4:38 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Hell no..1pm games are the best….it means that besides my coffee and let my dogs out in the yard, I won’t get out of my bed til 4pm 🙂

66. 66 A_T_G said at 10:15 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Me too. I’ll be running the sidelines, flagging, at my sons’ soccer games with Merrill in my ear. One starts at 1:00, the other at 4:00. Apparently, the schedule makers hate football.

67. 67 SteveH said at 11:09 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I have some fairly… dark… solutions to your problem.

68. 68 D3FB said at 3:19 AM on September 21st, 2014:

You’re gonna flag some poor kid’s breakaway celebrating a touchdown aren’t you?

69. 69 Anders said at 4:28 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I have it the other way, because I live in Europe, I can only watch the early game with my current job schedule

70. 70 Bill M said at 4:32 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I prefer Danskins to the time honored alias

71. 71 deshawnbentley said at 6:09 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Tommy, you don’t just replace Ks with Cs. You only use double c’s if the letters “ck” are present. This is because ck means crip killer. Now if you’re a blood you can replace Cs with Bs. Like “bicken back being bool – yg”. (Listen to it…& bompton by yg also) In a sentence, “what you eatin b… I’m eatin a bowl of bereal”. I’m fluent in Ebonics trust me on this

Source: myself I’m bout dis life

72. 72 TommyLawlor said at 7:59 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Thank you sir.

And I have no chance at ever being fluent in that style.

73. 73 Flyin said at 9:15 PM on September 20th, 2014:

“Baressing Megan’s bans” – sounds stupid anyway.

74. 74 Mitchell said at 6:19 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Ok, I predict Foles is gonna have 3 tds and 350 yards tomorrow. I predict Matthews will have one of them.

75. 75 GEAGLE said at 9:52 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Forecast,,,,RAIN

76. 76 Mitchell said at 6:25 PM on September 21st, 2014:

How close was I GEAGLE?!?!!? that was impressive!

77. 77 Media Mike said at 7:00 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Even though DeSean is one of my favorite Eagles, I’ll not be cheering for him at any point during the game. I might use any accomplishments he has to bad mouth Maclin, but we need a win tomorrow.

Additionally, I would find it funny to see Cary Williams to come out in some Bloods gear pre-game and attempt to fight DeSean.

78. 78 GEAGLE said at 7:33 PM on September 20th, 2014:

4th Quarter QBR:
    Nick FOles: 152.1 #1 in NFL
    Russel Wilson: 106.6
    Luck: 87.4
    Kapernick: 45.4

79. 79 Media Mike said at 8:26 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Kaepernick sucks

80. 80 Flyin said at 8:59 PM on September 20th, 2014:

It’s not how you finish, it’s how you start.

81. 81 GEAGLE said at 8:08 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Geez Jameis Winston is a jackass… Does anyone know exactly what he said to get suspended for the first half? Then what else they must have found out to sit him the entire game? Now the jackass comes out dressed in pads n helmet and his coach had to send him back to locker room to take his shoulder pads on… I really am starting to despise this kid…

This idiot needs to wake up and look around the NFL these days.. By the time the NFL shitstorm unfolds, we could see GMs and Owners more reluctant to draft problem child’s, and this idiots Charecter could end up costing him millions in the draft… By the time this NFL storm ends, their will probabky be behavior reforms with stiffer penalties and teams may be less willing to take on jackasses like this kid. Hopefully he becomes a giant so I can watch Fletcher cox burry him twice a year

82. 82 Flyin said at 8:52 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Google Jameis Winston yells f her right in the p deadspin

83. 83 teltschikfakeout88 said at 10:20 PM on September 20th, 2014:

The suspension was a cumulative series of behavior…..the guy was almost indicted for rape charges and was convicted of two other shop lifting charges…..this immaturity is going to make teams shy away from him just as much as his ability to pass the ball…….it was time…..he needs to clean it up if he wants to stay in the first round this year.

84. 84 Flyin said at 10:30 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I agree with the middle of your statement.

This one game suspension is based solely on his words in the last week. I think this is a good discipline. When you add in his other messups, the guy will not be employed in the NFL. At least by my team, hopefully.

85. 85 GEAGLE said at 9:05 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Really happy FSU was able to win without him… Don’t want that jack off getting an even bigger head

86. 86 GEAGLE said at 9:57 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Lol this has to be the dumbest suspension ever.. I agree that it should happen because of an accumulation of Jack ASSery, but this has to be one of ute dumbest suspensions ever. Boosters were probably furious lol

87. 87 Media Mike said at 7:07 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Winston sucks

88. 88 GEAGLE said at 8:11 PM on September 20th, 2014:

Last time we played the skins, Chip Kelly got Jim Hasletts Ryan Kerrigan matched up one oh one with shady McCoy on a vertical wheel route. That mismatch went to the tune of like 40 yards with shady being tackled inside the 10…. mr Jim Haslett has to put his guys in a better position to succeed than that. Kerrigan or Orakpo forced to defend shady and Sproles on wheel routes? We will take that match up all day

89. 89 mtn_green said at 11:10 PM on September 20th, 2014:

I think with Jenkins, pass catching rbs won’t be such an Achilles heel. Jenkins takes RB and Acho can stuff run or rush passer.

Allen can do Allen thangs, like somehow not be terrible without getting any good stats.

90. 90 GEAGLE said at 9:51 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Jenkins has been really really good so far… Certainly makes me feel much better having his ability to covet for LBs in coverage

91. 91 Michael Winter Cho said at 2:29 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I just noticed that Football OUtsiders has the Eagles D ranked 6th in the league so far, O only 16th. If the D can sustain that kind of performance, and the O rounds into 2nd-3rd in the league like it should, this team actually could be pretty good.

92. 92 Alistair Middlemiss said at 3:41 AM on September 21st, 2014:

6th D and 2/3rd offence and good special teams would make us more than just good, it would make us in contention for No1 seed.

93. 93 GEAGLE said at 10:18 AM on September 21st, 2014:

We have been amazing at getting off the field on 3rd down…if that continues we will see a drastically improved defenses, sure we will tighten up soon in the redzone like we did last year when we were bend but don’t break…

If we can continue to be stout on 3rd down, and get back to the red zone defense we played last year which I don’t expect to be a problem, our defense will take giant steps forward…
    And once the offens starts doing it’s part and pressuring opposing offenses playing from behind to keep up with our scoring, that’s when the turnovers should start flowing for us..

Defense will show plenty improvement from last year.. No doubt

94. 94 Nicodemus_09 said at 6:27 AM on September 21st, 2014:

For a whole host of obvious reasons, this game is making me feel like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. : / To be clear, I get nervous about pretty much EVERY game, but this one is giving me a sphincter factor of ELEVEN. Anyone else getting a troubling feeling from this one??

95. 95 Anders said at 6:58 AM on September 21st, 2014:

100% feel the same way. Also its just the fact that if we lose to the Redskins, Kirk Cousins and Desean Jackson is like the trifecta of bad

96. 96 anon said at 9:29 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I hope they play well b/c losing would be sooooo bad. I love divisional games.

97. 97 Nicodemus_09 said at 10:54 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I find it almost completely unfathomable that I would feel a whole lot less nervous if RGIII was under center today instead of Cousins. Who could’ve imagined THAT on their draft day?!

98. 98 SteveH said at 7:29 AM on September 21st, 2014:

It’s the sloppiness of the first 2 games. Hard to feel confident when we’ve struggled our way to our first 2 victories.

99. 99 Media Mike said at 7:20 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I’m not sure what Tommy will post before I’m in game mode and off of the computer for the day, but this needs to be the game where we put in a complete effort in slapping around a division opponent, get to 3-0, and put ourselves up 2 games in division (via a Dallas loss in STL).

We’re all in need of a nice calming easy wire to wire win this week as the team marches towards the playoffs. I most enjoy things when our division opposition is a bunch of gnats to whom we subject frequent swattings.

I understand Washington has a decent level of talent in their front 3 and OLB group, but that doesn’t get our skill guys covered by sub-standard ILBs and trash DBs.

I understand Washington has a few good o-linemen and WRs, but that shouldn’t add up to any more than about 17 points for them if our D gets some takeaways and 3rd down stops.

Let’s not forget that this is the Washington team that put up 6 points on the road rather than the team that abused a very talentless Jacksonville squad.

100. 100 Bob Brewer said at 7:28 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I hope they can block Kerrigan.

101. 101 anon said at 9:28 AM on September 21st, 2014:

we saw them use a lot of 2-3 TE sets, i think that will be to give Gardiner some extra help. Then Celek or Ertz will leak out for a screen play that goes 30yds. It’d be so tempting to just try to bum rush our line but we’ve shown on tape that we’ll destroy you with screens so as a DC i’d be weary about sending too much pressure.

102. 102 xeynon said at 8:09 AM on September 21st, 2014:

This game actually makes me a bit nervous. Why? Dennis Kelly and Andrew Gardner vs. Jason Hatcher and Ryan Kerrigan, that’s why. I’m concerned that the Washington football team will be able to get enough pressure on Foles to discombobulate the Eagles’ passing game, and they’re good at stopping the run as well. We’ll need plenty of quick hitters and screen passes to counteract the pass rush. On the other side of the ball, the Eagles have struggled defending running offenses that rely on zone blocking and stretch plays as long as I can remember. Kirk Cousins doesn’t scare me but Morris does. Plus, it feels like we stole one last week and are do for a comedown. I think we’ll need a few turnovers to win this one.

103. 103 GEAGLE said at 9:03 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I hear you, but we can name like 15 mismatches that go in our favor,,
    Last time we played against Kerrigan, Chip got him matched up on shady, chasing him 40 yards down field after getting burned on. Wheel route. Chip will force Kerrigan to cover someone.. He won’t just let him rush the passer all day. Screens, screens, screens

104. 104 xeynon said at 9:09 AM on September 21st, 2014:

All fair points. If we had Mathis and Johnson and Foles playing at his decisive best, I wouldn’t be too worried. I’m just concerned about what happens if Foles holds the ball too long again this week.

Agree 100% that the screen game will be HUGE this week.

105. 105 GEAGLE said at 9:14 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Fair… Tho I only share those concerns for the first half. Two games now I saw OL struggle in first half, settle down In the second half and our QB go on to have impeccable 4th Quarter QBR… Are the OL just settling down as the game goes on, or do the accumulation of first half body blows (tempo) take it’s toll, taking all the wind out of opposing pass rush in the second half?…. Probably a little of both, either way I’ll take it But hopefully we don’t have to wait til second half this week to play up to par

106. 106 anon said at 9:26 AM on September 21st, 2014:

our screen game is the best part of our game so i invite the pressure. It literally plays right into our hands.

107. 107 anon said at 9:25 AM on September 21st, 2014:

As much as I criticize the eagles’ players and FO, I love watching the eagles play every week. Even when they make me bite my nails, yell at people around me and throw things it’s awesome being an eagles fan and i’m excited to watch us beat down washington today.

I feel bad that djax is going to have to take yet another “L” at the hands of CK, but he should get used to it.

Fly Eagles Fly

108. 108 iceberg584 said at 9:34 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Just read that Rob Bironas, who the Eagles may had targeted as a free agent veteran kicker in the event Cody Parkey failed, died overnight in a car accident.

109. 109 GEAGLE said at 10:13 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Wow…that’s horrible

110. 110 GEAGLE said at 9:59 AM on September 21st, 2014:

If Desean plays I need to see Cary rough Him up all game, and Jenkins light him the BLEEP up… Would love to see him have a bad game

111. 111 Flyin said at 10:13 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Just saw this… Jay Gruden says DeSean “a very terrible blocker”. He speaks the truth.

112. 112 GEAGLE said at 10:15 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Yeah he trashed Desean on the radio yesterday, and has been playing psychology games with him all week talking about it’s just a matter of toughness and how much pain you can withstand, trying to push Deseans buttons so he will play thru the injury,,… He playing with fire trashing his bratty WR like that on the radio

113. 113 anon said at 11:42 AM on September 21st, 2014:

yeah they are going to test us over the top — hopefully nate allen is ready, i also don’t think Cousins has that type of arm.

114. 114 GEAGLE said at 11:45 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Yeah, his gam strength wharts were revealed at the end of last season when teams blitzed him and he really struggled to get the ball down field and throw in tight windows..

I’m expecting a ton of bootlegs… Hopefully Barwin can chase him down, jump up and make it harder for cousin to throw over Barwin and complete passes

115. 115 anon said at 11:46 AM on September 21st, 2014:

or M. Smith will knock the s*** out of him…

116. 116 GEAGLE said at 11:47 AM on September 21st, 2014:

U might see me streak naked onto the field if that happens… Screaming Maaaaaaaarcus Daaaaaaarling!

117. 117 Media Mike said at 10:42 AM on September 21st, 2014:

You need to invest in my Cary Williams wearing Bloods gear idea then.

118. 118 GEAGLE said at 10:21 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Off to the games boys… Be easy. Enjoy it… fly bird gang fly!
    Another win for the bad guys!!!! Wings……flap!

119. 119 Sb2bowl said at 10:23 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Geagles– stop by and say hello. Lot E3 of the Wells Fargo Center. I’ll look for you!!!

120. 120 GEAGLE said at 11:35 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I’m picking up cheesesteaks, still like 45 min away from the Linc.. I’ll def stop by… I have a black Celek Jersey on, green eagles hat, 6’2, goatee… Hollar if you see me

121. 121 Sb2bowl said at 12:37 PM on September 21st, 2014:

Section 115, row 11. White 36 Westbrook jersey

122. 122 Sb2bowl said at 10:22 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Hey all- I’m tailgating at the Linc today, ready for the game!!! In lot E3 at the Wells Fargo Center– look for the CSN Box Truck- I’m right next to it. Come join and eat some food and chill for a bit. Can’t wait! Eagles 34, Skins 24. Let’s do this!!!!

123. 123 GEAGLE said at 11:38 AM on September 21st, 2014:

34-20.. I’ll def look for the CSN truck… Black Celek jersey, green hAt

124. 124 Daz said at 11:11 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Man I hope we win – I’ve travelled from Australia to go to the game today!! Lifetime goal of seeing the Eagles play in Philly is about to happen – getting rather excited here 🙂

We’re about to leave Philly central to head down and check out the tailgating scene (we don’t have anything like that in Aus) – if you guys see a couple wandering through the car-park (probably mouths open in awe) – call us over to say hi! both wearing eagles t-shirts and I’ve got a blue cap on.

Go birds

125. 125 Jaccpot Game FEATURED POST | Eagles Nest Online | Philadelphia Eagles Blog said at 11:21 AM on September 21st, 2014:

[…] The rest of the article can be found here: Iggles Blitz […]

126. 126 GEAGLE said at 11:37 AM on September 21st, 2014:

It’s a disgrace to make Wolff inactive, but we are dressing that 4th TE Burton?… Whack!

Not surprised Marcus smith is active. I expect to see him get some snaps on defense today

127. 127 Tom33 said at 11:39 AM on September 21st, 2014:

wolff’s knee is starting to really worry me. Seems like he can’t stay healthy.

128. 128 GEAGLE said at 11:41 AM on September 21st, 2014:

I would hope he is inactive due to health, instead of a healthy scratch.

I don’t really worry about his knee, think it’s over rated. I mean the kid hasn’t torn any ligaments, or had any reconstructed surgery…. Athletes are coming back from horrible knee injuries, how can I really worry about his knee when he hasn’t suffered any serious injury or surgeries?

129. 129 anon said at 11:40 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Extra TEs active bc our O-line is all messed up?

130. 130 GEAGLE said at 11:43 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Then why have Tobin and Graf inactive? Tobin practiced the last few days..I’d rather go with him in an emergency even if he isn’t full strength over a rookie TE

131. 131 anon said at 11:45 AM on September 21st, 2014:

yeah but o-line doesn’t play teams.

132. 132 GEAGLE said at 11:46 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Touche

133. 133 GEAGLE said at 11:53 AM on September 21st, 2014:

Teams really aren’t preparing in the summer the way they used to. starters play very little snaps, FOles hasn’t played much with weapons like Mac and Mathews…. Kind of think the first two games are like an extension of the preseason and this week we will start seeing teams true colors.. This goes for all QBs, not just FOles…… But in his case, I have a feeling that the kinks have been worked out, and the Rainmaker will show up today…..

Great opportunity to put the rest of the division in check, and get on the same page with our WRs against one of the worst secondaries we can possibly face

I want to say 34-17… But I’ll give them 20… 34-20. I’ll be damned if this team scores 24 on my beloved defense