Previewing SF

Posted: September 27th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 229 Comments »

The Eagles play a late afternoon game in San Francisco on Sunday. This game is giving me fits as I try to figure out what to expect. We’re talking about the Niners, a team that was a Super Bowl contender just 6 weeks ago. But I can also make a strong argument that the Eagles could win this game…comfortably.

Color me confused.

I wrote a game preview for PE.com.

If the OL can give Nick Foles any kind of time, I expect the Eagles to move the ball and score points. Can the OL do that? With Aldon Smith out, the Niners pass rush isn’t all that fearsome. They have a total of 4 sacks this year. SF prefers to limit blitzing so they can cover and prevent big plays. They need a monster game from Justin Smith or Ahmad Brooks for that to work on Sunday. It is possible that those guys could do that.

I do think the Eagles OL has their best set-up (minus starters of course) going this weekend. Players are at positions where they have experience and are comfortable. Matt Tobin is making his first NFL start and that will be a challenge, but he is a good run blocker and could help the Eagles move the ball on the ground.

I can’t decide what to think of the Eagles defense against the SF offense. They lack a top passing game, which is what normally gives the Eagles fits. Can the Eagles shut down their run game and handle the running of Colin Kaepernick? You really wish you had Mychal Kendricks out there chasing him around.

There is also the question about SF and whether things could unravel.

That is Heath Evans, who leaves a lot to be desired as an NFL analyst, but he’s not the only person to hear things could fall apart out there. The Niners have lost 2 games in a row. If the Eagles get out to a quick lead (crazy concept, I know), you wonder how SF will react.

As I wrote in the preview, SF is a desperate team. That could also bring out the best in them.

Sunday will be a good test for both teams.

If you need some lighter reading for the night, check out the Wulf’s Den. Bo Wulf got Zach Ertz to spill the beans on all the cheating that Jim Harbaugh did at Stanford.

You won’t see a detailed confession like this very often.

Kinda.

229 Comments on “Previewing SF”

1. 1 Henly125 said at 10:15 PM on September 27th, 2014:

Tobin and Molk will thrive. I think this will be the game where we finally run the football a bit better.

2. 2 GEAGLE said at 9:17 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Agreed, especially because the 3 backups who have to start in the interior of our OL, have experience playing next to each other on the second team during the preseason….so it’s not like this is the first week they been practicing with the player lined up next to them…for example, Tobin has lined up next to Molk all preseason…

We shouldn’t have a shot In this game playing with 3 young backups on the OL….but these youngbucks will step their game up and persevere…
    ….4-0 here we come!

3. 3 Dragon_Eagle said at 10:21 PM on September 27th, 2014:

Could the Eagles go into SF and put the smack down? Sure. But the Niners have talent and an excellent coach. Niners have their backs to the wall at 1-2. If the rumors include Harbaugh losing the team, that’s very different than management and Harbaugh don’t get along.

I don’t expect an Eagles win, but even if we lose I want to see them really push SF.

Then again, last time Nick Foles was in the area, he put up 7 TDs.

4. 4 GEAGLE said at 11:26 PM on September 27th, 2014:

Nick FOles doesn’t lose to ANNOINTED young QBs,.,
    Kapernicks scalp will be hanging on his wall next to RG3’s, Lucks, and Cousins,,,

I’m telling you, if we play a team with a highly regarded young QB, Nick won’t let us lose,l.

Big win tomorrow..

5. 5 OregonDucker said at 3:21 PM on September 28th, 2014:

This time I hope he scalps without all the blood and screaming. My wife gets queasy easily. Hope he uses a sharper knife.

6. 6 Henly125 said at 10:26 PM on September 27th, 2014:

I have a good feeling about this game. It’s a huge test for us, no doubt. Pulling off this game would be huge for us.

7. 7 Mitchell said at 10:28 PM on September 27th, 2014:

If you haven’t watch the first 2:49 mins of this video I really suggest you do. No one can every tell me Nick is not a great NFL qb with a throw like this. I honestly did not appreciate it when it happened because it was so fast. Again please go watch this and I apologize if you have already. I just stumbled across it.

8. 8 Dragon_Eagle said at 10:39 PM on September 27th, 2014:

Ooh! I love the Kellystrator.

9. 9 Anders said at 1:27 PM on September 28th, 2014:

In general I love just about anything PE.com is producing right now. Their podcasts are great and have great guests, Dave Spadaro’s in studio interviews are nice and the Wulfs Den is something.

But the Kellystrator is my favorite and I could listen to Kelly break down plays 24/7. It also shows that Kelly is open to talk as long as it is football break downs (something Philly reports needs to learn)

10. 10 GEAGLE said at 11:23 PM on September 27th, 2014:

Let me guess…. The second Jordan Mathews TD?

11. 11 Mitchell said at 1:16 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Yes sir. I mean that throw is absolutely gorgeous. That LB is in perfect coverage but when he turns his head, the ball is literally on top of him. There was no way the LB had a chance! Either Matthews is getting it or the OB is.

12. 12 GEAGLE said at 9:02 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Yeah such a beautiful throw..Jordan talked about one of the biggest adjustments to playing slot in the NFL is that he now had to learn to beat LBs who get physical with him, where he never really had to face LBs in college…

He sure seemed to be transitioning well, the way he burned that LB like a seasoned pro…gorgeous pitch and catch..such small room for erroR…IT WAS MONEY!

13. 13 Anders said at 10:48 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Im a Matthews skeptic, but Matthews body type and the way he plays is much more perfect in the slot than outside, but I guess that was Kelly’s plan all along when he drafted him, so I guess that is just another reason why Kelly is a genius coach and im not.

14. 14 mtn_green said at 12:59 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Matthews is freaking the perfect red zone weapon that fans have been screaming for for 10 years. To see him go big twice is huge. No stopping him.

Ertz fits the bill too. Those two are gonna score 15 TD this year.

15. 15 GEAGLE said at 11:08 PM on September 27th, 2014:

31-20 Eagles

16. 16 P_P_K said at 1:01 PM on September 28th, 2014:

More points that that. 34-31 Eagles.

17. 17 GEAGLE said at 1:19 PM on September 28th, 2014:

This team ain’t scoring 30 points all year lol
    I’ll be pissed if our D gives up more than 20 today…plus I don’t see a close 3 point game that comes down to the wire. I see us up by 10, 49ers fighting each other on their own sideline..3 minutes left,eagles in full control up 10, while the announcers talk about the Niners imploding on their sideline and questioning if it’s the end of an era,,, they became a powerhouse getting over the hump when they came to Philly and beat us… That’s the win they credit with the powerhouse they have become.lol pay backs a bitch… Just so happens philly goes into their house, ends their era, and puts us on the national map… Today is the crowning of Nick FOles by the national media…tomorrow we wake up as the talk of the nation with everyone on our bandwagon 🙂

18. 18 anon said at 11:18 PM on September 27th, 2014:

Uh-oh. Boykin came out and said he wasn’t satisfied with playing time, getting super frustrated. I don’t know what coaches do about that. Many money isn’t enough if you’re just playing 30% of snaps behind people you don’t respect.

He should get a lot of time this weekend — I think if he grades out well he should get mixed in more.

That said — are we ok with Boykin speaking out b/c we like him OR is he held up to the Sconces standard of keeping everything in house?

19. 19 SteveH said at 11:32 PM on September 27th, 2014:

I don’t blame the guy on a personal level for being aggravated, he probably is seeing millions of dollars slipping away because the coaches won’t put him on the field.

As a fan though it’s not so great to see people making noise about being unhappy. You’d rather see it kept in house.

20. 20 GEAGLE said at 9:14 AM on September 28th, 2014:

If Brandon Graham plays 45% of the snaps, a 2.5million dollar bonus is triggered….

21. 21 Media Mike said at 9:49 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Sorry I didn’t see you say the $ thing before I just posted it. I agree completely.

22. 22 Nicodemus_09 said at 3:40 AM on September 28th, 2014:

With great sadness, I really do believe we have to start preparing ourselves mentally to say goodbye to the great Boy-King. I will be absolutely despondent. It drives me bat shit crazy that we are going to let the best DB we’ve had since Dawkins walk because of a couple of inches. Now if we had given him some chances and he came up “short” that’d be one thing. Maybe then, he’d happily return to the slot. But we haven’t even let him try. What? Because Sconces & Fletcher islands are just so locked down that we can’t afford to try? please. Lito &:Sheldon were short as hell &:they had very respectable careers. In fact wasn’t Sheldon only 5’8? And I thought he was the better of the two. Brown would hit you in the mouth & so will Boykin. And for God sake, receivrtsvwere tall then TOO! Lastly, and this REALLY irks me, is chip says ” he only practices the slot. WHAT?? Kelly’s #1 Mantra is everyone learning everyone else’s position. So move Brandon around to find him favorable match ups!! Were supposed to believe that Chop’s philosophy of everybody learning multiple positions applies to EVERYONE except the most talented defender we have?! Pleeease, something is rotten in fuckin Denmark people.

23. 23 Insomniac said at 4:33 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Nope. Sheldon and Lito were both 5’10.

24. 24 Nicodemus_09 said at 4:48 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Oh OK. My bad. But we can agree not “Richard Sherman’s” by any stretch. I guess they both TOWERED over Boykin by a whopping inch
    I just want to see the guy get his shot before we lose him. If he’s exposed due to his height, maybe he’ll be happy to head home to the slot & stays with our birds. We don’t give the guy a shot, he’s gone for SURE. I’m thinking there are PLENTY of clubs willing tovgiveca talented guy with a work ethic like his, a shot at the outside. I just will rue the day when/if we lose him man. That’s all.

25. 25 ICDogg said at 12:56 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Mark McMillian was 5’7″ on his tiptoes, he wasn’t too bad

26. 26 Nicodemus_09 said at 2:33 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I thought of good ole’ Mark McMillan) I was randomly thinking about our beloved birds the other day(most likely while my gf was yapping about GOD knows what lol) yes, I’m a horrible person. Or a fantastic Eagles fan depending on your sypampathies, but my thought at the time was how lucky we’ve been at certain position groups over the years. RB & CB ‘s for example. Wilbert montgomery, Rick Waters, Keith Byars, Charlie Garner, Brian West brook, Dice Stanley, Shady,now Spoles & a whole host of respectable role players.I think Leonard Weaver could’ve beenbrel special.Its a damn shame about him. As for CB’s, McMillan, Eric Allen, LOVED Tyoy Vincent & Bobby Taylor , remember how Taylor would infurite & lock down Michael Irvin & I thought it was a coup getting Lito Shepherd & Sheldon Brown to groom wile we still had Vincent &:Taylor. I know Lito had the “splashier” plays”,,, those pick 6’s vs Dallas are the stuff of legend. But i still liked Sheldon more. He was a true iron man & who could forget him hitting Reggie Bush so hard that it ko’d half his family!! lol I only went back to the 90’save for the great Montgomery. Noticibly absent are Sconces &:Fletcher. They just don’t stack IP. To put it KINDLY lol. Boykin does,and then some!

27. 27 Michael Winter Cho said at 1:11 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Being only 5’8″, I share your anger at the coaches’ predjudice against shorties. Where would this franchise be without the Westbrooks, the Sproleses, the Boykins! The Stallones, the Iversons! Free Boykin!

28. 28 Nicodemus_09 said at 2:37 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Can I get amen brother!? ))

29. 29 Media Mike said at 9:48 AM on September 28th, 2014:

He’s feeling the pressure of how much money he isn’t going to earn on his 2nd deal because he’s not getting the playing time his skill deserves. He literally could be missing tens of millions of dollars in earnings via being stuck as the #3 right now.

30. 30 SteveH said at 11:24 PM on September 27th, 2014:

I think the O will struggle. We’re too banged up along the OL and the SF front 7 is still strong even without Aldon Smith.

31. 31 anon said at 11:33 PM on September 27th, 2014:

Eagles trying to work out a contract mid season with Maclin, be interested to see what the numbers look like. Through 3 games he’s going to have them by the balls.

What do people think over-under $8m per year (Riley is getting $5 i believe).

32. 32 SteveH said at 11:36 PM on September 27th, 2014:

I say we re-work Riley’s deal and tack the extra on to whatever we’re trying to give Maclin.

I don’t think you pay Mac elite WR money. He’s had a strong start to the season but I need to see him play big and produce for a while before I want to look at 8M+.

33. 33 anon said at 11:39 PM on September 27th, 2014:

What if he says ok — let’s wait to the end of the season, when he’s a FA?

Too bad coop isn’t playing better, almost want to stunt Mac’s stats so you can get a deal…but he’ll likely have a monster year.

$5 is too much for Riley, was sort of surprised they paid him long term off of one season — he’s easily replaceable by a bunch of other receivers out there.

34. 34 SteveH said at 11:42 PM on September 27th, 2014:

I can’t remember how Riley’s deal is structured, whether or not he is easy to cut, but that could end up being important.

If Mac says lets wait I guess we’ll see what happens, but in this system if he stays healthy I can see 1200 yards easy, which means the man is getting paid no matter where he goes. It’s probably beneficial for both parties to get a deal done in season, for him it takes injury risk away and for us it might save cash if he stays healthy.

35. 35 Media Mike said at 9:50 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Riley is on a two year deal that says 5 years, but is easy to cut him out of after 2015.

36. 36 mtn_green said at 12:53 PM on September 28th, 2014:

This. First two years are essentially guaranteed.
    Even if you don’t value cooper high it is fairly team friendly.

37. 37 Insomniac said at 12:07 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Then you don’t resign him and sign a better WR. I hate how we’re overrating all of our players when at best they’re just top 12 players in the league.

38. 38 Anders said at 7:27 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Which WR can we sign who is better than Maclin?

39. 39 Media Mike said at 9:51 AM on September 28th, 2014:

They already showed via cutting Jackson that they don’t value a greater talent at that level of salary. It isn’t a matter of getting a guy “better” than Maclin, it is a matter of getting a guy who can produce they way they want in their system at a lower salary cost.

40. 40 Insomniac said at 12:06 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Dez Bryant. Demaryius Thomas. Torrey Smith and Denarius Moore?

41. 41 Anders said at 12:11 PM on September 28th, 2014:

you mean Moore who was just benched for a terrible Raiders team?
    Also no way any of the first 3 ever hits FA.

42. 42 Insomniac said at 2:02 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Except Dez/Thomas can’t make any progress on their contracts negotiation. I doubt either team has the money to sign them.

43. 43 Anders said at 3:20 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I would love both, but are they worth the money over Maclin?

44. 44 Insomniac said at 4:22 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Yes they are. Maclin will want more than his current 6 million contract. I’m guessing he’ll want 7-10 million a year. I’m going to make an educated guess and say the more dominant WRs like Thomas/Dez want 11 million or more. The thing is that they’re better RZ targets, blockers, RAC-ers and much more physical than Maclin. They’re about the same age and they’ll age better than Maclin who relies on his speed. They’re just more ideal for what Chip wants.

45. 45 Michael Winter Cho said at 1:18 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Rookies are cheaper and if they can produce in this system…

46. 46 Anders said at 1:47 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I rather keep Maclin and draft at positions with bigger needs. No need to create a need if you can avoid it.

Also Maclin has almost 100 yards and 1 td per game, that production is hard to replace.

47. 47 D3FB said at 6:27 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Why would Cooper rework a deal he signed 6 months ago?

48. 48 SteveH said at 9:29 AM on September 28th, 2014:

He wouldn’t, wishful thinking on my part.

49. 49 Media Mike said at 9:51 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Next Question.

50. 50 Stanimal said at 9:07 AM on September 28th, 2014:

I wish Cooper was only making 5 dollars this year.

51. 51 Tom33 said at 9:09 AM on September 28th, 2014:

If Cooper is getting 5 then Maclin should get 10 on the same scale. That said, hopefully a 3 yr deal at a reasonable rate – i think Maclin is a solid WR. 8 is probably about right.

52. 52 Eagles_Fan_in_San_Fran said at 2:48 AM on September 28th, 2014:

I’d say the key here is the health of Vernon Davis.
    He was limited in practice all week.
    If he’s healthy, he’s gonna open up everything for the Niners, especially without Kendricks around to contain both him and Kaepernick.
    Should be a shootout – I still like the Birds in the end.

53. 53 Nicodemus_09 said at 4:01 AM on September 28th, 2014:

I want so badly to believe we have a real shot in this game. I really really do. But I see Gores & Kaepernicks legs being an issue. I also think our O line, fire very obvious reasons is a huge problem. I like Tobin’s potential ALOT but Justin Smith is going to have that poor bastard in roller skates all game. Also I just do not see Shady gettin it goin against Patrick Willis & friends. I don’t think this game is unwinnable at all. But I do believe it will come down to Foles having to have a minster game & most importantly, the TIME to do it! That’s what concerns me the most. I sure feel better if we had Kendricks too. I think that guy had the speed not only to get after Kaepershithead, but also the speed to eat dirt! I’all be out of my mind ecstatic if we somehow end up 4-0. Doesn’t that just DOUND AMAZING??: ) But my gut tells me that the Firtywhiners are going to fight like hemorrhoidal Mountain Lionsvti not end up 1-3 . And I think deep down, SADLY, that’ll be the difference in this one. : /

54. 54 GEAGLE said at 9:00 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Not losing today! Not today bud,

55. 55 P_P_K said at 1:00 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I agree with you about K’s legs, but I think Gore’s are getting old. And, yea, Tobin drew the short straw on his first start. I do, though, think that Shady will get his yards, Foles and the receivers (including Ertz) will continue to click, and this is a winnable game against a SF team that is falling apart.

56. 56 Michael Winter Cho said at 1:19 PM on September 28th, 2014:

If the Niners get ther $hit together, our deficiencies on D and injuries on O are going to end up getting us embarrassed.

57. 57 Nicodemus_09 said at 3:42 PM on September 28th, 2014:

That, SADLY, is PRECISELY how I see things going. Our streak of semi-miraculous come backs just WILL NOT cut it vs THIS D. As far as the O line goes, yup, don’t see a way around that one unfortunately.The worst of it IMO will be Tobin vs Justin Smith. As much UPside as Tobin has, I think he will be spending as much time on the ground ascMcNabbs passes did lol :)) I just don’t see the 9ers letting themseles talk to 1-3. Here’s PRAYING I’m wrong!

58. 58 GEAGLE said at 9:10 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Is there a better way to find out what you have in a young backup OL like Tobin, then to stick him in front of Justin Smith for 60 minutes?

On paper, our OL should have no shot in this game….I’d bet our OL surprises people today… The one thing going for us, is our 3 interior lineman who have to start today at two guard spot and center, have a ton of experience and continuity playing together having been on the second team OL together all preseason… It’s huge that Molk has a lot of experience playing with the Guards on either side of him…..

This is the game that proves that our OL depth is one of the strengths of our second string… Tobin is going to have a solid game against Justin smith. Because our interior OL are used to playing together, I expect them to open some holes and get shady going today.

Niners defense is going to try to disguise everything and screw with Molks head presnap….hopefully he can identify what the defense is doing and call the right protection. I have faith in the kid…..

This is a huge opportunity for our young players in the trenches, we don’t win today without our OL and DL having a big game…

My guess, they answer the bell. We climb to 4-0 and America will all be on the eagles bandwagon tomorrow…

Don’t think we will squeek out a 3 point win….thinking we Embarress this dysfunctional team and beat them by 10….
    Tremendous opportunity today… Respect is there for the taking!

Get some!

59. 59 ACViking said at 12:21 PM on September 28th, 2014:

“Is there a better way to find out what you have in a young backup OL
    like Tobin, then to stick him in front of Justin Smith for 60 minutes?”
    _________________

Sounds akin to Army Ranger training.

Great imagery.

60. 60 GEAGLE said at 12:46 PM on September 28th, 2014:

lol that’s like the definition of “baptism by fire”

61. 61 mtn_green said at 12:48 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I agree.
    But no OL drafted, no FA OL brought in, eagles are asking the UDFA, perennial bottom of roster dwellers to defeat an A plus nfl interior Dline. Trouble. Eve if they over achieve and get push there are going to be moments where Oline looks like dog crap.

I love chip, even with backups he is going to task them to push SF off the ball, you know it they know it, and I love that mentality.

If you’re right this will be the first time an position coach wins Coach of the Year, Stoutland.

62. 62 mtn_green said at 12:50 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Remember “false start, everybody but the center” from KC game last year.

63. 63 P_P_K said at 12:57 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Did you have to bring that up? Have you no mercy?

64. 64 mtn_green said at 1:12 PM on September 28th, 2014:

It’s gonna happen, but I think they will out play their mistakes and shady will dance through the middle all day long.

65. 65 GEAGLE said at 1:13 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I’m sure San Francisco defenders will have their moments…
    Justin smith can’t be THAT scary when you have Jason peters next to you. Fortunately Peters won’t have to give his undivided attention to Aldon smith..
    Basically, I’m banking on our practice methods giving backups so many reps that they can step up and handle a challenge like this…really just have to survive the first half. If we can move the chains in firs half, we can get our tempo going and wear them down for the second half… Justin smith is one of the NFL players I respect the most…but I don’t see how a 14yr veteran can play at our pace and not wear down…
    If we struggle so much in the first half that we don’t get our tempo attack going, then we can run into second half problems..but if we can pick up first downs and keep chains moving in first half, we will run them out of their stadium in the first half…
    KAp is used to playing behind a defense that he only he to score 20 points to win a game…if FOles can put up points and pressure him into a shoot out, KAp will make a crucial mistake trying to keep up with our scoring…

Have to beat this team! Foles can’t lose to kAp and Chip can’t lose to Harbaugh

66. 66 Anders said at 1:15 PM on September 28th, 2014:

We bought in Gardner and Molk in this off season. Also Tobin was UDFA from last year and the Eagles really love him.

67. 67 GEAGLE said at 9:32 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Bennie Logan is 3rd amongst DEfensive Iineman in tackles…
    …A lot of people owe this kid a BIG apology for all the crap they spewed all offseason about Bennie not being big enough to play NT

68. 68 Media Mike said at 9:47 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Not really. His showing in the playoff game last year left a lot of questions that demanded answers. He’s answered the well so far and all credit to him for a great 3 games so far.

69. 69 GEAGLE said at 9:50 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Not really….. People who have a clue know rookie NTs will struggle..

Lol shut down opposing run games for two months, struggle in first playoff game against all pro interior lineman and people thought he needed replacing? That’s fucking ridiculous

70. 70 Media Mike said at 9:53 AM on September 28th, 2014:

That’s totally appropriate context, but he still needed to improve. We’ve seen a lot of guys never get any better than their rookie year in this town in a lot of sports. Logan didn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt; because nobody does.

He’s answered the bell quite well, but no apologies are in order.

71. 71 GEAGLE said at 9:54 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Needing to improve, and needing to be replaced is not the same thing…

I haven’t forgotten having to read about how we should be drafted a NT in the first 3 rounds all offseason..
    He didn’t have a good playoff game… It’s perfectly fair to point out reality… But not having a good playoff game and needing to spend another top pick on a NT aren’t the same things..one is perfectly fair, the other is absurd

If fans aren’t going to give draft picks more than a year to prove themselves, they won’t be happy with too many draft picks

72. 72 Media Mike said at 9:57 AM on September 28th, 2014:

I’ll own that element of the Logan conversation. I’d still prefer his body type at DE and an Albert Haynesworth skill set with a willingness to 2 gap at NT.

73. 73 GEAGLE said at 9:58 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Not even pointing to you….wouldn’t care if one or two people said that…. But it’s annoying when half a fanbase is talking about it for months…

Louis Nix is already done for the season..

74. 74 GEAGLE said at 10:34 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Just hate the way young players are treated in this city by a fanbase that claims to be so passionate intelligent.. Rookies get drafted here, and while their heads are spinning to transition to this new elite level, learn new schemes, get accustomed to new team mates and coaches, fans dump piles of negativity on the kids…

The friggin game hasn’t even slowed down for Marcus smith yet and he already having to hear so much negativity..
    As a fan who loves this team, I want our guys to have the best chance possible to succeed… I don’t see how shutting on young kids as soon as they get drafted to this city helps.. Maybe a kid is strong minded and doesn’t let it get to him. Maybe it doesn’t negatively effect a kid…but it damn sure doesn’t help.

How we are treating Marcus smith is absurd…we weren’t looking for instant impact…we were looking for Elite potential….if we cared about instant gratification, Chip would have drafted Trent Murphy who he knows well from his rivalry with Stanford..,instead of drafting Murphy who we can count on to play a role right away, we swung for the fences, took a raw kid who has only been a defender for a few years, because we believed that with our coaching, we can grow him into a high caliber outside LB…. The kid hasn’t provided instant gratification in September and this city is already killing him…. After everything these coaches proved to us in a short period of time, I think they have earned the right to swing for the fences, draft for highest ceiling and be given proper amount of time to grow that player into the player they envisioned when we drafted him…

Nothing has happened to where anyone should be down on the Marcus smith pick…but because Mel Kiper says he wasn’t a first round pick, this city shit on I him from day one…fuck Mel Kiper.. Before the draft, I was worried Marcus wouldn’t get past the cowboys at 15..
    ….
    If these kids grow into BALLERS, it helps the team I love…I don’t get why we have to make it harder for them.. I kid trying to make this transition, shouldn’t hear negativity everytime his name is brought up..

75. 75 mtn_green said at 12:41 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I like trent Murphy, he doesn’t have the physical skills, but he is polished knows balance and has some moves.

Think eagles didn’t think his moves without the physical talent would translate to nfl.

76. 76 GEAGLE said at 1:04 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I think he can be an ok NFL player. Liked him more than Bjoern Werner.. But his ceiling isn’t even close to Marcus. Marcus really has all the tools and ability you need to become a really good OLB… It’s just that people will have to wait a little bit longer than September for it to pay off .

77. 77 GEAGLE said at 9:53 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Now I’m watching the same dumb Fools do the same thing with Marcus smith…and when he comes back like a beast next year, they will all tuck their tails and act like they didn’t trash him his first month in the NFL….smh at some point, people should learn

78. 78 Media Mike said at 9:59 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Although the team should be ripped to pieces for drafting an 3-4 ILB as an OLB at pick 26 if that position switch becomes permanent. I’m not ripping Smith in and of himself for not being ready to be an every down 3-4 OLB in year one, but a starting ILB in a 3-4 can be had much later in the draft.

79. 79 Insomniac said at 2:20 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Except there isn’t many of them and there’s not a lot of them next year too. Mosley was the only one that could start from the beginning. Christian Jones had the potential. Every other ILB could only be 2 down players at best.

80. 80 anon said at 11:16 AM on September 28th, 2014:

It’s not Smith’s fault it’s the FOs fault.

81. 81 GEAGLE said at 11:23 AM on September 28th, 2014:

It’s the front office fault they drafted a kid with Ireally high upside who they will turn into a high quality OLB by the start of next season instead of being dumb, short sited, to draft the limited Trent Murphy who Chip knew so well?

I’m telling you, Marcus is going to be a stud… Kid will be starting next season…and he will be better than Dee Ford,Demarcus Lawrence! Trent Murphy and Attaucho…

The bend Marcus gets on his body, combined with his long arms. Speed and agility is going to be molded into a fantastic pass rusher… Just watch.,
    You know I won’t forget to remind you of this convo next year 😉

I have to refrain from having convos about Marcus…I can’t stomach the stupidity… Don’t people ever learn…

82. 82 mtn_green said at 12:38 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Saw one rush in preseason where he was able to bend the corner around the RT.

83. 83 Anders said at 1:19 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I think Marcus is more likely to replace your boy Ryans than become a great OLB. Smith is more of a blitzer than a pure pass rusher as he has trouble bending the edge.

But Smith would make a perfect ILB. He is long, can cover TEs (he is just as big and fast as them) and he is a very good inside blitzer.

84. 84 FairOaks said at 1:43 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Except he didn’t play nearly as much as normal that game. Davis schemed to stop the pass, and Logan only played 60% of the snaps (he was not part of the nickel package), and much of the run damage (6.5 yards per carry) was done while he was not in the game. The numbers still weren’t great when he was in, but much better than when he was out. He really didn’t have a lot to answer for, IMO. They got outschemed (which the Saints can definitely do to you).

That is a main worry to me so far… Davis was not expecting the run in that game, and so far this season his defense has made Chad Henne, Trent Richardson, and Kirk Cousins look terrific while they look terrible against everyone else. Seems like he is guessing wrong a lot on the game plan.

85. 85 GEAGLE said at 1:47 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Even if it was the worst performance in the history of nose tackles.,..one bad game, doesn’t erase two months of stout run Defense….from November thru December we played some high quality run defense…
    I get that he isn’t 350lbs… But he is agile enough to move laterally and defend stretch run plays like the skins offense..he is agile enough to not just anchor against a double, but shed it and go make the tackle..when they throw, both Logan and Beau can get after QBs above average for a NT..

Logan and Beau are going to give us excellent production from the NT spot for the next 5 years., that’s one position, we are set at

86. 86 GEAGLE said at 10:37 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Some piece of crap San Franciscian set off the alarm in our hotel at 2am last night.

I had a dream Chip Kelly put Boykin on offense in the redzone because we wanted to use him in a Wes Welker role and he caught a TD… But I can’t remember who we were playing against in my dream. Not sure if it was the Niners or not lol

87. 87 Bert's Bells said at 11:25 AM on September 28th, 2014:

You’re staying the same hotel as the team?

88. 88 ICDogg said at 12:53 PM on September 28th, 2014:

A similar incident occurred here at one of the downtown hotels a few years back. I don’t remember much about it other than the hotel management took it extremely seriously and were reviewing security footage.

89. 89 GEAGLE said at 12:59 PM on September 28th, 2014:

What the Dion Lewis situation… Didn’t he lock himself in after pulling the alarm pr something stupid.?

90. 90 ICDogg said at 1:38 PM on September 28th, 2014:

not that, this was a similar thing to what happened last night in SF, some fans woke up the opposing team late at night

91. 91 GEAGLE said at 1:41 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Oh ok… Heard last night was bad.. First alarm went of at 2am..continued all night til Acho tweeting about it at 5am.,. Merrill Reese was talking about it

92. 92 ICDogg said at 1:43 PM on September 28th, 2014:

As Nick Foles said, make ’em pay…

93. 93 ICDogg said at 2:06 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I think you might be mixing time zones… 2am there = 5am here, but only one fire alarm

94. 94 GEAGLE said at 2:19 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Good point. Could be. I didn’t see it on twitter, just going off of how the CSN article reported it

95. 95 GEAGLE said at 11:14 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Love having Dennis Kelly’s mammoth size next to 280lb Molk for this matchup. Niners DL is going to try and bully Molk. It’s BIGTIME that Dennis! Molk and Tobin have experience playing together on the second team all preseason,
    They are planning on bulling our interior OL backups… Up to our young backups to step up and handle this big experienced DL.

Welcome to the NFL Tobin…now go lineup in front of Justin Smifh lol. Tobin is going to make a name for himself today!
    Hope big giant Dennis Kelly beats the crap out of woman beating McDonald..

Molk is undersized, they are going to try to overwhelm him, physically and mentally with all types of disguises. He needs to be sharp in identifying what their true intentions are and then hold his ground and don’t allow them to over power him..
    ….
    This is a very tough challenge on both sides of the the trenches..My bet is our young offensive and defensive lineman step up and make a name for themselves off this Niners team, FOles steps up, out duels Kapernick and Chip Kelly sends the Harbaugh Niners powerhouse era into a nose dive!

96. 96 ACViking said at 12:19 PM on September 28th, 2014:

GE:

Did you see Laquon Treadwell (Old Miss WR) highlights from last night against Memphis?

Two TDs. Both worth a look. The guy just snatches the ball.

97. 97 GEAGLE said at 12:45 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Wow!! I didn’t see these.. Kid can snatch a salmon going up steam with those eagles claws

98. 98 anon said at 11:14 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Cannor Barwin has the second most batted passes in the NFL since 2011.

99. 99 GEAGLE said at 11:20 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Sounds about right..dude gets like 10 every year… Those batted passes to me, are the same thing as sacks..

If you add his batted passes to his sack total…it’s solid production for a “Robin”… It would look much better once we find a pass rushing “batman”not complimemt him

I think of batted passes as a sack for a loss of 1
    ….
    Barwin has been such an amazing addition on the field and in the locker room…funny that we signed Barwin, while the browns MCW the big splash and opened the piggy bank for Paul Kruger who has done nothing lol

100. 100 anon said at 12:39 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Batted passes don’t lead to lost yardage, don’t give the QB happy feet, won’t ever get a QB to leave the game, don’t test QB mental/physical resiliency. Batted passes just guarantees our DBs won’t get exposed.

But it’s great that Barwin has honed that skill since he’s never getting to the QB.

101. 101 Bert's Bells said at 12:49 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Yup. Not the same as sacks at all.

It’s a plus play for the defense, no question. After a turnover, though, a sack is the best stat a defender can rack up.

102. 102 GEAGLE said at 12:52 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Not always… For example, I’d rather not sack Kapernick or Eli… I’d rather force them to rush throws from a messy pocket…odds are they will gift us an INT…
    I wouldn’t even try to pass Rush Kapernick.. If if were up to me, I’d be calling for mush rush, everyone keep him In the pocket, DL get their hands up in his throwing Lane and force him to out play Nick Foles from the pocket….
    I’m more interested in pressure percentage than sack numbers

103. 103 Bert's Bells said at 12:56 PM on September 28th, 2014:

That’s why you’re not on the team.

There’s no way that batted pass is preferable to a sack.

104. 104 ICDogg said at 11:20 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Enjoyed the Wulf’s Den piece.

105. 105 SteveH said at 11:24 AM on September 28th, 2014:

Wulf’s Den is kind of underrated. Seems like every week he churns out something highly entertaining.

106. 106 Bert's Bells said at 11:44 AM on September 28th, 2014:

I agree. They’re funny and interesting. Most sports journalism takes itself so seriously.

107. 107 SteveH said at 12:47 PM on September 28th, 2014:

What, you mean Steve Smith’s return to Carolina isn’t on par with Ebola? What kind of football fan are you anyhow?

108. 108 Bert's Bells said at 12:48 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I wasn’t talking about THAT. That’s earth shattering news.

109. 109 SteveH said at 12:51 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Steve Smith is undoubtedly the most important man in the universe today.

110. 110 Dragon_Eagle said at 12:37 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Didn’t see it. Got a link?

111. 111 jshort said at 12:40 PM on September 28th, 2014:

At the eagles home site.

112. 112 ICDogg said at 12:46 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Tommy linked it at the bottom of this article

113. 113 Dragon_Eagle said at 1:04 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Thanks. At first I thought you meant the Nate Allen -Chris Maragos quiz bowl.

114. 114 Dragon_Eagle said at 1:04 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Can’t decide – Packers-Bears or Panthers-Ravens.

115. 115 mtn_green said at 1:15 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Packers, see Rogers. Bears are really fun this year.

116. 116 GEAGLE said at 1:21 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I’m watching Steve smith play pissed off against Carolina.

We play Carolina this year and could see them in playoffs but I’m sure I will flip back n fourth. Can’t help it, love watching Keachly play

117. 117 jshort said at 1:23 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I got Pitt-TB on FOX think I will make wife happy and go shopping.
    About our game….Even though an east coast team looses 70% of the time when traveling west coast. This will not apply to us, plan on enjoying watching us methodically take 49’s apart, One thing about a must win is, when things start going bad you tend to get steamrolled. Go Birds…..Be back for the game.

118. 118 GEAGLE said at 1:31 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Bout time Tampa gets it’s head out of it’s ass and plays Glennon… I like that kid. Think he has potential to possibly grow into a good QB

119. 119 shah8 said at 1:22 PM on September 28th, 2014:

i just witnessed Alex Henery make a 51yard field goal straight through the middle, as if it’s normal. Outdoors, too!

120. 120 scratcherk said at 1:23 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I cant believe we cut him!

… jk.

121. 121 Anders said at 1:24 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Im happy for him. He still has potential, his head just wasnt right here.

122. 122 jshort said at 1:26 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Though it was the holder.

123. 123 GEAGLE said at 1:32 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Equipment manager would give him the wrong socks

124. 124 Dragon_Eagle said at 1:27 PM on September 28th, 2014:

So Detroit did sign him?

125. 125 GEAGLE said at 1:29 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Who is the lady who recently was given credentials to cover the eagles at Novacare?… Only recently has there consistently been a woman at Novacare press conferences asking questions…who is she, and who does she work for?
    I like the type of questions she asked..noticed her for the quality of her questions a few times.. Nice to see someone be given credentials and access and make the most of it by consistently asking intelligent, no drama, questions..
    ….
    No idea who she is tho…I don’t know of any female beat reporters that cover the eagles…

126. 126 SteveH said at 1:37 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Rhea Hughes, but I don’t think she’s typically part of the press corps.

127. 127 GEAGLE said at 1:40 PM on September 28th, 2014:

No, it’s not her… She wouldn’t be at Novacare every day

128. 128 SteveH said at 1:43 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Right, just throwing out the first name that came to mind. There’s a few female CSN reporters that do Philly sports but no one I can think of who are on the Eagles beat.

129. 129 GEAGLE said at 2:00 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Right..that’s why it’s been bothering me..
    She is new…I only been hearing her at press conferences for a few weeks now, but she has been sticking out for the quality of her questions… At first I thought it was national media visiting for a day, but now she has been there for a few weeks… Gotta find out who she is… Maybe philly.com hired a new lady or something…

130. 130 mtn_green said at 1:35 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I think Ertz and Matthews will make the ILB not be able to focus on shady, sort of the K-Gun concept. Make the ILB miserable worrying about Matthews and Ertz getting burnt and shady making them look silly.

131. 131 GEAGLE said at 1:36 PM on September 28th, 2014:

2 TD day for Ertz since he is “going going. Back back, to Cali Cali”??

Jordan should also have that rookie midget Jimmie Ward matched up on him

132. 132 ICDogg said at 1:56 PM on September 28th, 2014:

sure sure

133. 133 SteveH said at 1:37 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Patrick Willis generally handles the TE coming out on pass routes and he’s an excellent defender, I think Mathews has a better shot of making an impact today.

134. 134 Anders said at 1:51 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Matthews will draw Jimmie Ward who has been a disaster so far.

135. 135 GEAGLE said at 1:55 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Like to see Maclin get a few looks in the slot against him, to hit him with some crafty veteran sharp route running…
    Be nice if we can get him matched up on Ertz
    Want to see Cooper bully Culliver, Maclin should do his thing against parish cox…

136. 136 Anders said at 2:21 PM on September 28th, 2014:

In a 3×1 look with Cooper as 1, Maclin as 2 and Matthews 3, Maclin will draw the slot CB and Matthews will draw an ILB.

137. 137 Anders said at 1:51 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Well Ertz, Maclin and Matthews will keep getting wide open as long as teams focus on McCoy and Sproles

138. 138 SteveH said at 1:40 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Not much defense happening in this Bears-Packers game, both defenses look very vulnerable.

139. 139 GEAGLE said at 1:52 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Steve smith scored a crazy TD against the panthers. 7-0
    Can’t believe cam newton already has 50 games of NFL experience

140. 140 SteveH said at 1:52 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Wow their is some godawful officiating happening in Chicago right now. I’d say the fix is in but it seems to be going both ways.

141. 141 Anders said at 1:54 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I know people love Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones as best WR in the game, but my money is on Jordy Nelson

142. 142 SteveH said at 1:55 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Nahhh man no way, Megatron is a freak of nature. The only thing that can slow him down is all the injuries he gets.

143. 143 Anders said at 1:57 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Injuries is a skill. You cant be the best if you aint on the field. Also is Johnson really better at been a WR outside of just been bigger than everybody? He never seems to make the same amount of tough catches other top WRs make

144. 144 ICDogg said at 1:58 PM on September 28th, 2014:

If injuries “is a skill”, then being big is also a skill

145. 145 Anders said at 1:59 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Tocuhe.

146. 146 Insomniac said at 2:10 PM on September 28th, 2014:

You’re kidding right?

147. 147 Insomniac said at 2:07 PM on September 28th, 2014:

He has the best QB throwing to him..

148. 148 Anders said at 2:08 PM on September 28th, 2014:

He still needs to get open and catch the ball

149. 149 Insomniac said at 2:09 PM on September 28th, 2014:

it’s easier when the ball placement is almost always great.

150. 150 GEAGLE said at 2:12 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Jordy has been one of my Favorite WR for years…kills me that I really lost respect for running away from Sherman and allowing them to take away half of the field… WR just signed a mega deal, you have the best QB in the game…you should never run from any CB and Jordy and Rogers should have been able to make plays against Sherman…even if you can’t, you have to go at him to keep them honest… Seattle defense is elite as it is…you can’t play with only half of the field against the legion of boom…you don’t stand a chance if they can just roll coverage to one side because you are avoiding the other side like the plague..

As an eagles fan, I don’t fear the packers as much as I did before I saw how gutless they were against the seahawks

151. 151 Anders said at 2:19 PM on September 28th, 2014:

The Seahawks game is on the coach not the player. Nelson cant just line up against Sherman if the gameplan is to avoid him

152. 152 GEAGLE said at 1:57 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Niners have a pigeon to pick on….safety Antoine bathea.. Good veteran safety. But he is banged up and I suspect he shouldn’t be playing and is forcing it to keep his 99 game streak alive…. Ertz needs to test the old man!

153. 153 Anders said at 1:59 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Also slot CB Jimmie Ward when we go to our standard 3×1 set. Matthews and Maclin should abuse him

154. 154 GEAGLE said at 2:06 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Man.. This team has been playing Undisciplined ball, racking up penalties, many of Which were committed by the secondary…with so many mismatches that we can expose, chances are it’s going to lead to some first down penalties today..
    Before his injury, Maclin was a league leader in causing pass interference penalties….liked seeing Jordan Matnews draw a big one last week, and coop Drew one in the ENDZONE against the colts that led to the shady TD…

This defense is in trouble if our OL can hold up. They dare try to take shady out of the game, we will light this secondary up!..going to be an interesting game,,,

Curious to see what Harbaugh and Chip throw at each other…wonder if someone tries an onside kick or fake punt this week…Chip hasn’t tried any trickery yet this year.. You know Harbaugh must hate Chip Kelly behind the scenes,.

155. 155 shah8 said at 2:05 PM on September 28th, 2014:

The Jets offense is really, really, bad.

156. 156 shah8 said at 2:05 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Although, part of that is that Detroit defense is playing very well, and unusually disciplined, as well.

157. 157 anon said at 2:11 PM on September 28th, 2014:

jets have good line and rbs but no passing game. they are 2-3 players away from being really good. unfortunately one of those is the qb.

158. 158 shah8 said at 3:56 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Thing about watching the Jets, it’s really about the entire passing offense. Geno has his bad moments, but he is honestly getting absolutely no help.

159. 159 chooss said at 2:06 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Every once in awhile I have a vivid dream about an upcoming Eagles game. More often than not over the years I have found them fairly accurate. I thought it would be interesting to describe parts of the dream publically before the game and see how accurate it is!

There was a play in the end-zone involving Cooper. He seemed to be playing defense for some reason. The defender(49ers offensive player?) made a ridiculous one-handed catch. The commentators comment that is was one of the catches of the year. It’s not, on review its not a catch. It’s curious Cooper was playing defense, i’ve learned over time that this might mean the play simply will be unfavorable to the Eagles.

At some point in the second half, the Eagles are down 2 or 3 points. Maybe it was 25 – 22, or 25-23, something like that. The 49ers are driving and have to settle for a field goal. It’s close, like a 22 yarder. Although the commentations talk about it like it’s a done deal it’s no good, they miss it.

At some point Boykins tackles Kapernick and appears to hurt his neck/back. It seemed to be down-field so its not a sack, likely a scramble of some sort. After a moment he is ok and walks off the field.

– Matthew
    Go Eagles!

160. 160 GEAGLE said at 2:07 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Lol last night Chip put Boykin in on offense in my dream.. Wanted to use Boykin in a Wes Welker role in the redzone and Boykin caught a TD…. But I can’t remember if we were actually playing against the Niners in my dream lol

161. 161 ICDogg said at 2:10 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I didn’t dream about the Eagles last night. I dreamed that the neighbors down the street had a power outage, that the mother and daughter who lived in that house stopped over because we still had power and Internet, and that after they left my wife’s prescription drugs were all missing.

162. 162 GEAGLE said at 2:13 PM on September 28th, 2014:

LOL wth…dreaming of your medicine cabinet being raided

163. 163 Anders said at 2:20 PM on September 28th, 2014:

He left out the part why it was raided and what happened afterwards 😛

164. 164 GEAGLE said at 2:17 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I started Steve smith and Kelvin Benjamin… I’m in my glory sitting here watching them catch TDs against each other..

Plus I will always root for an AFC team to beat a potential NFC playoff team

165. 165 anon said at 2:21 PM on September 28th, 2014:

yeah played stevie smith too — got like 130 and 2tds in a half.

166. 166 GEAGLE said at 2:24 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I have Emmanuel Sanders on a bye, so I picked him up for this week..I have Kelvin Benjamin, Maclin and Steve smith this week.
    FOles, Ertz, Maclin,
    Jamaal Charles Monday night
    Eagles defense
    Fletcher cox

Ravens kicker

So basically I get to see every one of my players play this week, except for Reggie bush.. The lions game is the only one that’s not airing..

You can’t beat a week were all your players happen to be televised…it’s awesome for somone like me who doesn’t bet on the games…I got action today! Lol

167. 167 anon said at 2:34 PM on September 28th, 2014:

bush not doing anything, he and CJ arent even part of the offense. it’s a shame b/c i really like what bush brings to the game and i have cj in fantasy.

168. 168 GEAGLE said at 2:38 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Ugh! They are getting on my nerves.. Bad enough they give Joquie Bell I like half his touches
    I’m playing against the kid who has Adrian Peterson lol.. Sucks for him

169. 169 anon said at 2:39 PM on September 28th, 2014:

yeah i know. i actually think their oc doesn’t know what they are doing.

170. 170 Insomniac said at 2:24 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Panther’s really miss Hardy.

171. 171 GEAGLE said at 2:30 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Yeah, but they have like 8 DL picked in the first two rounds,, That’s one team that should be able to overcome it.. Didn’t they draft Kawaan Short? Kony Ealy? Star…,I feel like they spend two top picks on defensive lineman ever year..

Their OL is a mess tho,,
    ,,,
    Feel like I struck gold with Kelvin Benjamin.. It’s a dynasty league, so I can keep him next year and it will only cost me my 7th round pick…hopefully they don’t add too many weapons around him

172. 172 GEAGLE said at 2:21 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Steve smith is going Bonkers in this game.. 2nd TD already smg

173. 173 anon said at 2:22 PM on September 28th, 2014:

your boy ebron first td

174. 174 GEAGLE said at 2:25 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Did he..good for him…new he would have a bigger role with Furia out… Are you watching the lions game live?

175. 175 SteveH said at 2:29 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I’m running about 8 different lineups in Fanduel today and most of them are shot before the day even really got started thanks to some insane scoring, but I got one with Antonio Brown and Steve Smith that looks real promising, they’ve got about 50 FP in the first half alone between them.

176. 176 GEAGLE said at 2:31 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Antonio should be an awesome fantasy player this year.. Like guys like him and Kelvin Benjamin who are the only real weapons on their team

177. 177 anon said at 2:33 PM on September 28th, 2014:

you and me both.

178. 178 SteveH said at 2:35 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Yeah eff that Jazz, days like today are frustrating because if you don’t have the exact right lineup where everyone scores you 30 you’re not going anywhere. Thank god for this one tourney lineup, it looks like it might be lining up to make some cash, only 4 players going and pretty deep in the money.

179. 179 anon said at 2:37 PM on September 28th, 2014:

yeah i stay away from fan duel i know that’d be a rabbit hole for me.

180. 180 SteveH said at 2:39 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I stick to the 1$ games, it makes it interesting because there’s real money on the line, but it’d take some real effort to bankrupt myself lol.

181. 181 GEAGLE said at 2:44 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Both players are making some sick catches

182. 182 GEAGLE said at 2:32 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I really like Laveon Bell…. With his weight loss. Think he will grow into a fantastic RB
    Looks like their might be some hope for EJ Mannuel after all… Trust him more than I trust Geno smith

183. 183 anon said at 2:36 PM on September 28th, 2014:

makes you wonder if it’s worth paying a back $10m a year.

184. 184 Anders said at 2:53 PM on September 28th, 2014:

In general no, unless he is freaky good like AP or Shady (Shady’s receiving skills makes him worth it, without no).

185. 185 SteveH said at 2:55 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Well, an Adrian Peterson who isn’t smacking his 4 year old in the nuts anyhow. The current Adrian Peterson is a 12 million dollar paperweight.

186. 186 Anders said at 2:55 PM on September 28th, 2014:

haha true,

187. 187 SteveH said at 2:51 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Rofl, Aaron Rodgers just had the play of the season at QB and it was called back on a hold, and as it showed Rodgers upset putting his hands on his hips you could hear a sad trombone sound effect playing in the stadium.

Womp womp womp wooooomp.

188. 188 Dragon_Eagle said at 2:52 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Was an amazing throw, though.

189. 189 SteveH said at 2:53 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Yeah, would have been one of the highlights of the season if it stood. The trombone though was perfect.

190. 190 Dragon_Eagle said at 2:55 PM on September 28th, 2014:

The hell with history and tradition. It is time to do away with Soldier Field. Most high schools have better fields.

191. 191 ACViking said at 2:58 PM on September 28th, 2014:

The Vet had the worst carpet in the NFL.

That was a huge psychological advantage against visiting teams.

Playing Dallas for the NFC title in sub-freezing weather on concrete?

The ‘Boys in Blue just wanted to go home from the start of the game.

So I begrudge the Bears nothing.
    HOWEVER . . . as a purist, that field is a disgrace.

192. 192 SteveH said at 3:00 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Soldier field just seems reckless in the modern age.

193. 193 ACViking said at 3:01 PM on September 28th, 2014:

No disagreement.
    You make a great point.
    Where’s the NFLPA on this?

194. 194 SteveH said at 3:03 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Equal opportunity ACL tears; nobody really wins.

195. 195 GEAGLE said at 3:01 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I miss the vet… Miss how opponents used to talk about it

196. 196 ACViking said at 3:04 PM on September 28th, 2014:

The Birds were so up and down back then.

From ’71-’77, ’83-’87, ’93-’94, ’99 . . . the Vet’s carpet was the ONLY thing the Eagles had going for them.

197. 197 GEAGLE said at 2:58 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Panthers are getting crushed…love watching potential NFC playoffs teams lose to the AFC

198. 198 anon said at 2:59 PM on September 28th, 2014:

watt has a pick six. he’s got a receiving td this year — crazy.

199. 199 Anders said at 3:02 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Did you also watch the speed he ran with? That is crazy. Him and Kelce must be some of the best athletes on earth for their size

200. 200 SteveH said at 3:07 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Watt is a once in a generation specimen, I read an article detailing his work ethic and the guy is like a real life Rocky. He doesn’t go out and take advantage of his wealth/celebrity at the clubs or crazy vacations, he spends his offseason by himself in Wisconsin or some northern state, training in the snow lifting logs and shit.

He literally lives to dominate football. If the Texans can continue to build up the defense around him they could be special.

201. 201 GEAGLE said at 2:59 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Eagles pregame shows are starting… I always forget to watch them when we play at 4

202. 202 SteveH said at 3:01 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I’m so nervous about today’s game I’m checking the websites like I got OCD as I watch Packers Bears. Can’t wait for it to get started!

203. 203 ACViking said at 3:02 PM on September 28th, 2014:

The Raiders are truly a disaster area.

Tick-tock on Dennis Allen . . . whom Big Red wanted as the Birds’ D-Coordinator after canning McDermott.

204. 204 GEAGLE said at 3:04 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Lol what a disgrace to send the raiders to the people of London..
    ,,,
    That’s like leaving a bag filled with shit lit on fire on someone’s doorstep, ring the doorbell and run away 😉

205. 205 ACViking said at 3:06 PM on September 28th, 2014:

And the NFL wants to expand to London . . . .

Does this tell you what the NFL bigwigs think about football fans or what?

206. 206 GEAGLE said at 3:08 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Lol certainly don’t seem to be trying to put their best foot forward.. Recently they started talk about expanding to Brazil… They can’t even get London right! and they are worried about a place that doesn’t even speak English. Hate this silly expansion nonsense,,

207. 207 ACViking said at 3:34 PM on September 28th, 2014:

” . . . doesn’t even speak English”
    _____________

But Brazil does have greenbacks.

And for the NFL, does anything else matter?

208. 208 ACViking said at 3:07 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I’d give you 5 up-votes for that but I can’t

209. 209 Dragon_Eagle said at 3:13 PM on September 28th, 2014:

If they were going to expand anywhere, Canada and Mexico City make sense both from a fan base and money perspective.

London? I just don’t see it as viable long term.

Mexico City Jaguars. Make it so.

210. 210 GEAGLE said at 3:14 PM on September 28th, 2014:

“El jaguaro’s”

211. 211 Anders said at 3:04 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I think Allen can coach, but that roster is bad. look at the 12 and 13 drafts and see why.

212. 212 ACViking said at 3:06 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Fixing the Raiders is a case study for any MBA program’s class in franchise management.

213. 213 Anders said at 3:07 PM on September 28th, 2014:

The GM has been very bad at drafting as well and they then lost their two best young players in FA, so had nothing to build on

214. 214 ACViking said at 3:09 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Once upon a time . . . Oakland was every player’s favored destination.

Then free agency came along.

215. 215 SteveH said at 3:09 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Their big problem is the late Al Davis held onto the franchise well past his expiration date, and since he basically micromanaged every aspect of the franchise I’m guessing they never had a reason to cultivate any talent within the organization.

Seems like less a case study and more a final exam.

216. 216 SteveH said at 3:15 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I’m pretty sure the GB-Chicago game doesn’t have a punt yet. Wild game.

217. 217 OregonDucker said at 3:15 PM on September 28th, 2014:

One strategy that has worked for Chip against Harbaugh is repeating the same zone read play over and over again. Then he passes over the top for TD; and then he passes intermediate shots for huge gains. He mind-f$$ks Harbaugh to no end. Expect a lot of clip-board throwing and jumping up and down by the 9ers coach.

218. 218 GEAGLE said at 3:16 PM on September 28th, 2014:

You know Harbaugh hates his guts.lmagine what he must say about Chip behind closed doors

219. 219 OregonDucker said at 3:17 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Oh yeah, no doubt Harbaugh hates the intellectual, elite coach who OWNS his ass.

220. 220 GEAGLE said at 3:37 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Sure he remembers what happened the last time he had to coach against Chip…
    Let’s get this game started. Tired of waiting

221. 221 GEAGLE said at 3:18 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Interesting to see Marcus smith snap count today. Have a feeling we will be forced to play him due To lack of LB speed to defend KAp when he takes off.
    Kendrick is a huge loss against KAp…Najee good is a huge loss against KAp.
    We might not start the game with Marcus at ILB, but once Acho and Casey prove they can’t keep up! we may be forced to live or die with the rookie..

222. 222 Dragon_Eagle said at 3:20 PM on September 28th, 2014:

I’m looking for the rookie to make a statement today. Just some flash here and there would be appreciated.

223. 223 Dragon_Eagle said at 3:22 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Packers blowing this one open now. 38-17 pending XP. Rodgers is just destroying the Bears.

224. 224 FairOaks said at 3:31 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Halftime (tackled at the 0.1 yard line as time expired) and a couple of INTs have been the only thing that has stopped the Bears offense, but it’s probably too late now. Looked like one bad decision and one miscommunication on the INTs.

225. 225 Tony said at 3:27 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Is there anyway to select the ads that get displayed by your site? Because this is kinda dumb: http://i.imgur.com/QxyubOa.png

226. 226 anon said at 3:31 PM on September 28th, 2014:

henery with a big shank on his next 50+ fg attempt.

227. 227 Dragon_Eagle said at 3:32 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Dear Packers, Bears, and Vikings,

You’re welcome.

Luv Philly

228. 228 GEAGLE said at 3:40 PM on September 28th, 2014:

This is Justin smiths 14 season…..we have to hit him with a heavy dose of tempo

229. 229 GEAGLE said at 3:50 PM on September 28th, 2014:

Zack Ertz first TD came in his California return last year against Oakland.. Hope he has another big game for his homecoming
    Lol Westbrook destroyed Casey Mathews in the pregame show