The New Mac

Posted: October 29th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 218 Comments »

I have not always been Jeremy Maclin’s biggest fan. Back in 2009 I had my heart set on drafting Hakeem Nicks. I saw him as an Anquan Boldin type player and he would be a great complement to DeSean Jackson. I didn’t think too much about Maclin as a target because the whole world knew he would go Top 15, if not Top 10.

I wasn’t mad when the Eagles drafted Maclin. He was too good not to like. But he wasn’t a compelling player in terms of physicality or athleticism. He’s good in every area, but not great anywhere.

Over time I grew to like Mac, for the most part. That changed in 2012. The Eagles were a mess that year and Mac was a part of the problem. He avoided contact like I avoid salads. He wouldn’t block in the run game. He wouldn’t go over the middle of the field. He took every quick screen and headed straight for the sideline. This wasn’t just something I noticed. His teammates weren’t thrilled either.

I wondered how Mac would take to Chip Kelly and his more physical style of football. We didn’t get a chance to find out last year due to the torn ACL. Mac was up and down earlier this year. There were some plays where Soft Jeremy looked like he wanted to come out. But in the last few weeks Mac has shown that he is a new man.

Maclin is blocking well. He is working the middle of the field. There was a play the other day when he actually ran toward a defender while running after the catch. Mac took a huge hit later in the game, but didn’t miss much time. This is not the same guy I watched with utter frustration back in 2012.

Maclin was named the team’s Ed Block Courage Award Winner on Tuesday. Kudos to him for coming back from his ACL injury and kudos to him for adjusting his game and fitting in well with what Chip Kelly wants.

The only concern now is getting Mac re-signed, which is a good problem to have.

As for Hakeem Nicks, he looked so good for a while, but seems to be a complete mess these days. Maybe he’ll eventually end up in Philly trying to salvage his career.

Good stuff here from Chip Wagon on Foles and some throws from Sunday.

How can you not love Jason Kelce?

Kelce will have to help the guards when Watt lines up inside in pass rushing situations. They’ll need all the help they can get.

The Eagles are going to work out Safety Chris Prosinski, but don’t get too excited. This is just a depth thing, in case they have problems between now and Sunday, or next week.

Bill Davis said he expects Nate Allen to play, but Allen is dealing with a hamstring issue. And Earl Wolff has been a mystery all year. One of the big disappointments this season has been Wolff’s failure to stay healthy or contribute at all on defense. I really thought he might steal Allen’s job and emerge as the other starter.

Ed Reynolds is waiting in the wings, but the team must feel he’s probably not quite ready.

Expect Safety to be a key spot to address in the offseason.

___

218 Comments on “The New Mac”

1. 1 Bert's Bells said at 8:26 PM on October 29th, 2014:

I like Maclin -probably because the Philly knuckledraggers give him so much grief.

AR’s last year here was such a mess that I don’t hold anybody’s feet to fire about their performance. Jesus Christ himself couldn’t have changed that wasted season into wine.

2. 2 Ark87 said at 10:14 PM on October 29th, 2014:

I’m not impressed that Jesus Christ can turn water to wine, in Philly we can turn anything into whine.

3. 3 GEAGLE said at 11:54 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Can this Jesus fellow play safety?

4. 4 P_P_K said at 12:12 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Maybe he could resurrect Nate’s career.

5. 5 Ark87 said at 12:52 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I don’t think he would fit our culture here, heard he has a pretty extensive entourage and a significant messiah complex.

6. 6 GEAGLE said at 4:39 PM on October 30th, 2014:

LOL… Show off, always walking on water n shit… He also hangs out with the wrong type of people, always with prostitutes around

7. 7 the guy said at 9:07 PM on October 29th, 2014:

Also was not a huge fan of Maclin, but he’s been playing undeniably great the last few games. Before I cop to being completely wrong about him, though, I’d like to see how he plays when he’s not in a contract year.

8. 8 Media Mike said at 4:36 PM on October 30th, 2014:

seconded

9. 9 Capogambino said at 9:22 PM on October 29th, 2014:

“He avoided contact like I avoid salads.” – Sheer comic blogging genius, I love it.
    “”I don’t care if Jesus Christ is on the field. We’re gonna run our offense.” I think Mathis’ blogging is starting to rub off on Kelce.
    The Eagles drafting is of concern. It’s not good to have your first, 3rd, and 4th picks apparently unable to get on the field.

10. 10 EagleNebula said at 1:17 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Disagree, depends on why they can’t get on the field. As for the 1st rounder, that is a position that takes time to develops and the veterans are performing at a high level. I wouldn’t take Barwin, Cole and Graham off the field for any rookie. As for the 3rd rounder – he was injured for the first few weeks and has been a role player since, that is exactly what I would expect from a rookie WR. The 4th rounder is a CB, I have no idea what they want from that position because Boykin can’t even get more time, and there is no way a rookie should play infront of him or Carroll… So, I think those draft picks are about where I would reasonably expect them.

11. 11 unhinged said at 9:37 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Kelly and Davis want a mutable defensive corps that gives nothing away pre-snap. For that to work, linebackers must shed blocks like DT’s, attack the quarterback like DE’s, and cover like CB’s. In other words, they are the heart of this 3-4 scheme. Unless a rookie was playing such a role in college, he isn’t going to see much playing time. Smith was primarily used to rush the QB as a senior, and prior to that he was a QB-turned-linebacker. He was taken for his athleticism and his upside, and he is getting a great education in how to be that player that can make plays as a linebacker.

12. 12 BrettConnolly said at 4:34 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I think he can be a difference maker as an ILB. He is so fluid in space. He needs to attack his special teams duties like he has been doing. Flying down the field on punt duties is going to be a bridge to the mindset he needs to bring to the ILB position, but you have to love how he moves in space. He’s like a shadow on the receiver. I’m hoping Jenkins can help foster his confidence for how to disrupt quick routes. But then again, I also wanted them to take Ziggy Ansah and move him to ILB so take this with a mound of salt.

13. 13 Capogambino said at 8:31 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I do hope you are correct about Smith just needing time and maturity. Barwin is playing at a blue-chip level, so you don’t want to take him off the field. Cole and Graham are only playing at adequate starter level. I would expect a first round pick to at least make his way into the rotation. Right now, I smell a bust, but I hope to be proven wrong.
    The 2013 picks also seemed to be weak. Everyone drafted after Logan looks like a bust to me. That is why I am concerned about the drafting.

14. 14 Dominik said at 12:53 PM on October 31st, 2014:

Idk if you can call 4th rounder and lower busts. Of course you would like to see something, but 4th rounders and below have their risks, that’s why they are taken at 95+.

Wolff is such an example, btw. He showed flashes, he’s great athletically, but right now, he doesn’t get the job done. We would all love to see his flashes on every sunday, and there was a chance that happens, but it didn’t happen so far. That’s life in the NFL, more or less.

15. 15 Insomniac said at 9:28 PM on October 29th, 2014:

I still think this team lacks that physical RB/WR that just doesn’t care if you’re there. He’ll still get the ball and yards.

16. 16 anon said at 9:34 PM on October 29th, 2014:

think thats what huff wants to be

17. 17 Insomniac said at 10:20 PM on October 29th, 2014:

but he can’t..

edit: Huff on roids.

18. 18 sutherneagle said at 11:20 PM on October 29th, 2014:

impossible to know that

19. 19 Insomniac said at 12:19 AM on October 30th, 2014:

why? watch his college tape.

20. 20 D3FB said at 12:44 AM on October 30th, 2014:

You did see Huff break a couple tackles before the fumble right?

21. 21 anon said at 1:00 AM on October 30th, 2014:

he looked really good running through traffic.

22. 22 Mitchell said at 1:37 AM on October 30th, 2014:

smoke and mirrors

23. 23 Insomniac said at 3:46 AM on October 30th, 2014:

I don’t know about you but I only saw two people tackle him. He broke one but how much of it was because of a poor tackle? Huff can break a tackle but multiple ones? I’ve yet to see him do it consistently.

24. 24 Buge Halls said at 10:52 AM on October 30th, 2014:

He can break 100 tackles – as soon as he gives the ball away, none of that matters!

25. 25 D3FB said at 1:30 PM on October 30th, 2014:

That was a simple rookie mistake, that likely isn’t going to happen again. He has been hurt alot this season, and in college DT’s don’t catch WR’s 15 yards down field. It’s a learning process.

26. 26 Ark87 said at 4:36 PM on October 30th, 2014:

yeah, I have to admit that I was really down on Huff when we picked him (for no real great reason except I wanted to pick someone else) but he’s really impressed me. He’s having the typical rookie issues but you can see this guy can be a little monster down the line.

27. 27 sutherneagle said at 12:46 AM on October 30th, 2014:

the future for him is with the Eagles’.
    how many no.1 picks become future HOFers?
    yesterday`s film doesn`t tell the future, if it did all the draftees in the early rounds wound become stars, no one from the later rounds would be any good and don`t even think about un-drafted players, they have no chance.
    or we could show his college tape to Kelly and let him know what a limited player has

28. 28 anon said at 1:32 AM on October 30th, 2014:

hard for me to trust stuff coming out of baylor.

29. 29 Insomniac said at 3:42 AM on October 30th, 2014:

said the 31 teams that passed on Josh Gordon. Kendall Wright would be good if he had a QB.

30. 30 Anders said at 3:46 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Wright, Gordon, Williams?

31. 31 anon said at 8:58 AM on October 30th, 2014:

RGKnee, Kendall Wright is a good example?

32. 32 Anders said at 9:48 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Yes, he had over 1000 yards last year playing for the crappy Titans where it was Locker and Fitzpatrick there was his QBs

33. 33 Anders said at 5:04 AM on October 30th, 2014:

I would love Goodley in this offense. Goodley is a RB playing WR.

34. 34 Avery Greene said at 8:21 AM on October 30th, 2014:

I think he can be. He’s got the attitude and the strength. That was a nice block he had in the Giants game that surprised the CB. He seeks contact. Whether that translates is to be seen. So maybe I should say, I hope he can be that.

35. 35 unhinged said at 9:43 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Polk is the intended physical back, but he has a hard time staying healthy to play, and that may test the patience of the front office. Wolff may be in that box too.

36. 36 Insomniac said at 10:17 PM on October 30th, 2014:

He can barely stay healthy and on the field.

37. 37 phillychuck said at 9:32 PM on October 29th, 2014:

Honestly, I expected the safety problem to be “solved” in *last* year’s offseason. I guess 50% isn’t an F in football.

38. 38 MaggieMagpie said at 11:32 PM on October 29th, 2014:

More than half of the teams in the league were trying to solve saety problems last off-season. ;~)

39. 39 eagleyankfan said at 9:33 AM on October 30th, 2014:

I still think they tried to replace Nate. Nate was signed later in the season and only to a 1 year contract. It was like picking the last kid at gym class. Oh well.

40. 40 Weapon Y said at 12:33 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Could have just drafted Deone Bucannon instead of Marcus Smith. But that would have been too easy.

41. 41 D3FB said at 12:43 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Not a scheme fit.

42. 42 EAGLES said at 3:18 AM on October 30th, 2014:

How is he not? Eagles worked him out before the draft, must have been some interest there. And they didn’t work many players out in the city from what I hear.

43. 43 GEAGLE said at 9:15 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Next year you will be happy we drafted Marcus smith..chillax

44. 44 anon said at 9:18 AM on October 30th, 2014:

At what position AND who do you think he replaces?

45. 45 Avery Greene said at 9:23 AM on October 30th, 2014:

I’m not sure on that one. He’s playing both positions and he’s learning the joker role. Maybe he comes in and spells Ryans (old) and Cole (old). At least that the sense I got from Davis when he talks about him.

In the larger picture, I hope that’s what he turns into. Being able to move all 4 linebackers into different positions will give the defense more flexibility. Smith is better in coverage than Cole, but still needs to refine his pass rush. But if he can get both down, you’ve got 4 linebackers that you can do that with IMO.

So that’d be Barwin, Kendricks, Goode (IMO Ryans eventual replacement if he keeps improving), and Smith. But there’s a lot of ifs there, so I can’t be sure. I’ll admit I’m just hoping. But the possibilities are vast.

Edit: spelling and grammar, my wife would kill me with some of the mistakes.

46. 46 GEAGLE said at 11:45 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Maybe he comes in and spells kendrick and Meco,,
    Here’s the thing, in our base, I expect him to only be an OLB. Doubt he replaces an ILB in our base… But when it comes to special subpackages nickel, dime, whatever, that’s when’s we will see Marcus used in different ways,..he will grow into a Barwin type who you can use as a DE pass rusher on our 4 man lines, or you can use him to cover TEs or drop into Zones..
    So in terms of labeling hm, he will be an OLB in base. I really don’t think we will see him play ILB a in a 3-4… But when we get into subpackages, that’s when we see him used in other ways

47. 47 GEAGLE said at 11:41 AM on October 30th, 2014:

OLB, either COLE or Graham… At the very least we will want 3 quality OLBs to rotate… That is NOT a position you are happy only having two good OLBs.,. You need 3 or 4…

48. 48 teltschikfakeout88 said at 2:30 PM on October 30th, 2014:

still beating that next year drum on Marcus……I hope your are right…..I just wish he could get more snaps this year…..also since your confident about Marcus next year,,,,,can you get me the winning lottery numbers ….LOL

49. 49 GEAGLE said at 4:36 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Still being rational, and not expecting instant gratification from a kid we knew was raw when we picked him? Still being rational?… Guilty as fuckin charged!
    FYI. Even if Marcus was ready, Barwin, COLE, and Graham have been absolutely BALLING! So even if Marcus is ready to play, why the hell would we want to take Cole, Bg or Barwin off the field? Just for the sake of playing our first round pic?

For all we know marcus has improved enough to to get some snaps at OLB, and we aren’t seeing him play because the dudes in front of him are Beasting!

50. 50 D3FB said at 1:36 PM on October 30th, 2014:

He didn’t play alot of man in college, and when he did he struggled. He had some bad plays in open space against shiftier players. His hips are stiff, and he couldn’t do the types of things that Billy needs safeties to be be able to do. Don’t get me wrong, I liked him as a prospect, but his inability to do things like drop down on the slot reciever or man up a TE.

As far as him being brought in to be worked out, some guys that are brought in are smoke screens. The team has no interest in them but want to create confusion for other teams about who they plan to take. Other players its just to get them in front of the position coach, and GM so they can take a look at them in person and get to feel out there personality. With other players its because they want more eyes on the player because there is a question of athletic ability.

51. 51 GEAGLE said at 9:06 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Ed reynolds spent college career playing in center field. He is currently on the practice squad because he has to learn to play man to Man, so technically he wasn’t a scheme fit when we drafted him,but we are growing him into a scheme fit…

I liked marcus and Deonne, but I woulda take the future stud OLB any day over a safety..

Of course I can imagine the pitchforks if we drafted a safety in round 1 who needed to spend a year on the practice squad learning to play man…our damn fans would have burned Novacare down to the ground

52. 52 Anders said at 9:47 AM on October 30th, 2014:

No Reynolds is on the PS because he isnt good enough. Also Reynolds was a 5th round pick, Buccanon was a 1st, quite different in terms of what holes you can live with in their games.

53. 53 P_P_K said at 11:11 AM on October 30th, 2014:

That’s a really good point and one not understood by a lot of fans, including me. I have a tendency to see a kid in college play like a stud and scream that the Eagles should draft him. I’m learning there’s a lot more involved in drafting the right player than aleticism.

54. 54 unhinged said at 2:50 PM on October 30th, 2014:

In 3, 5, 10 years, Deonne Bucannon will not be able to play the position as Kelly and Davis want it played. They want interchangeability and versatility. The Cardinals got Bucannon to do what he already knows how to do – run support and hammering the odd receiver that catches a pass. This fixation on Allen is almost funny. The defense has not played lights out but for one game, but it wasn’t the primary reason for the either losses thus far.

55. 55 unhinged said at 2:38 PM on October 30th, 2014:

“Solved” is not applicable to football in the NFL. Brady sucked in 2 Superbowls against the Giants. Sherman could not stop Bryant a few weeks ago. The sport in general, and the NFL in particular, is a world of momentum, good/bad fortune and 11 talented guys trying everything in their power to win their current battle. Safety play is not the weak link in the chain for the Eagles. It isn’t even the weakest part of our defense. We all saw how well the secondary looked against Eli. He didn’t know what he was seeing, and he was under duress the whole game. Palmer didn’t get touched, and our safeties got beat twice. Getting a new safety won’t solve that.

56. 56 SteveH said at 9:38 PM on October 29th, 2014:

From Jimmy’s “Eagles players talk about the biggest hits they ever took”:

LeSean McCoy: “Probably Dashon Goldson, the game where Mac lost the game for us.”

Is that a real quote? If so… lol?

57. 57 Always Hopeful said at 10:49 PM on October 29th, 2014:

I just now got which game that was…with that qb from Northwestern coming in…can’t think of his name. Mac did drop a td pass from qb who I can’t remember his name.

McCoy is clowning, huh?

Thanks in advance for the name if that qb y’all.

58. 58 jpate said at 11:25 PM on October 29th, 2014:

I think this game is in 2011 vs 49ers where justin smith came up behind maclin and forced a fumble while we were driving down to score and win the game

59. 59 Always Hopeful said at 11:39 PM on October 29th, 2014:

Oopps! Good lookin’ out. I think Mac had a drop in that Atlanta game for a TD too….Mike Kafka (how could I forget his name!?)came in for a concussed Vick.

60. 60 nopain23 said at 10:43 PM on October 29th, 2014:

need the raiders and jags to be dumpster fires the rest of the year then we trade the farm for marcus mariotta because it is crystal clear that foles is NOT the answer at QB for this team. he’s regressed mightily and his mechanic/footwork are some of the poorest i’ve ever seen. great guy mediocre QB. if the jets get that 1st pick then mariotta is not gonna be available.

61. 61 Eagles_Fan_in_San_Fran said at 10:55 PM on October 29th, 2014:

Thanks for sharing. /s
    Maybe next time you can put it in a thread that actually deals with Foles/the QB position 🙁

62. 62 Avery Greene said at 8:25 AM on October 30th, 2014:

The whole point of getting coaches that teach is to be able to work through the mechanics problems and get him back to doing the right thing consistently. Develop the talent you have, if you can’t, then move on. But giving up the farm for one player doesn’t bode well for the rest of the team. Just ask Washington.

Foles has started like 21 games (or something close). Let’s give him some time to work through it (at least the rest of the season) before making the decision to jettison him. Those 3-4 picks we’d give up to get Mariota could go to fix our secondary and add depth to the team.

63. 63 GermanEagle said at 8:28 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Here we go again.

Don’t hate the player, hate the ‘TATE’.

64. 64 GEAGLE said at 9:09 AM on October 30th, 2014:

LOL Gotta love this fanbase.. Dumb as all hell
    Scouts already starting to pick marriottas game apart. Recently whether or not he is an alpha male is being questioned lol… Thank god we are past the drafting young QB phase

65. 65 Avery Greene said at 9:16 AM on October 30th, 2014:

If Mannion is there in the 3rd, I think I take him. I doubt he will be, and if Foles is the guy, anything higher than that should be starting. I have to wait to see what they think of Barkley at the end of the year, but I think this kid has potential. This really may work if Sanchez leaves and Barkley doesn’t look like he’s going to be able to step up.

66. 66 Anders said at 1:03 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Im not taking Mannion if he went UDFA right now

67. 67 Dominik said at 1:00 PM on October 31st, 2014:

At the beginning I read: “Im not taking Mariota if he went UDFA right now” and thought: what the holy f…? Mannion makes more sense, though. 😉

68. 68 anon said at 9:17 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Foles undoubtedly is our QB for the season (barring injury) and probably for next year. But if the numbers don’t improve — they are TERRIBLE now, how do you not look at guys?

69. 69 GEAGLE said at 11:36 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Why wouldn’t they improve?
    I’m from the school of thought that guys like Kelce, mathis, jason peters get MILLIONS And MILLIONS of dollars because they make a friggin difference on an offense… I never viewed FOles as a young QB that could carry an offense… The deal was, stick a good run game and OL in front off him, and he will be all the QB you need
    No disrespect to anyone, but I personally think it’s stupid to expect him to play to the level he played last year behind the best OL in the history of this franchise, and the best run game in the NFL.. Circumstances, IMO meant that he would have to take a few steps back before we move forward…

personally, I believe this OL will get back to the level it needs to be and I expect our run game to show up when that happens…once all that falls into place, I expect a lot of people to be cleaning up egg on n their face when they see FOles play… Honestly, I just don’t care about what it looks like in October and September. I just don’t care. He could average 7 TDs a game in September and I won’t care… What I need to see is playoff progress, how we get their isnt that big of a deal for me…

I also think we hold FOles to insane standards higher than Luck,KAp,Wilson and all the young QBs are held to by their fanbase,, I expect our coaches to be much more rational and view things my way, then our coaches viewing things like our retard fan base.. I could be wrong, these are my personal views and expectations,
    Maybe because I was a former OL I have inflated ideals of our self worth, but my experience is OL is crucial to the success of QBs and skill players…whether Molk plays well or not, the damage is done, FOles simply doesn’t trust him like he trusts Kelce.. You can tell by all the backpeddling…..go back and watch the way FOles throws on the plays where he has max protect and in his head expects to get good protection, he is throwing gorgeous balls… That tells me that it’s probably not about how the OL is playing, its a trust thing..he doesn’t trust Molk like he trusts Kelce..
    Now that Kelce comes back, and he gets to stick his hands under a plump familiar ass that he knows, loves and trusts, and mathis gets back and the run game gets going, and we start getting back to 50-50 pass/run balance, I expect to see the QB I know and love…
    But even if he doesn’t get back to last years level, two seasons just isn’t enough. Jay cutler is in his 9th friggin season. It’s really not a case of ok, you had success for 16 games, go get em kid… There is so much ups and downs and growth that still needs to take place before he matures into the NFL QB he will be…Chip knows that, so I think Yous are high of you think FOles gets dumped after this year

Peoples expectations, and timeline of growth expectations are all out of WACK. What’s the point? I’m talking to people who think it’s the end of the world that a first round pick hasn’t paid dividends in his first 7 games…what can I really expect?

70. 70 eagleyankfan said at 1:31 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I think both of the replies above are off base — if you want to win a SB in the near future. We are out of the “drafting a rookie QB” … Here are a couple of reasons why:
    ….
    Any QB drafted has to be trained in CKs offense. At best, that’ll be a 3 year process. That’s just to get playing time. Being effective enough to win? Longer than 3 years. AND, that’s assuming the kid is any good. CK is building a culture. If you’re going to rip the general out of his position, after two years in the system, you’re taking a shot at your entire culture of the team at this point. Building a culture should not be a four/five year process.
    …..
    Some bad play … Eagles are 5-2. Some amazing throws and still 5-2. IF Foles was playing poorly all the time, then yes, maybe there is some merit. As mentioned above, Eagles are 2 plays away from being undefeated. How in the world, do you talk about replacing a QB — who is 5-2 and amazing last year?
    …..
    You can’t say Foles is here now and next year then we’ll find a QB. It can’t work like that. IF(and I don’t think it happens) CK doesn’t like Foles, he’d have to replace him prior to next season.
    …..
    I think the decision has already been made.

71. 71 Anders said at 9:46 AM on October 30th, 2014:

“Thank god we are past the drafting young QB phase”

No we aint. No matter how much keep telling you self it, does not make it true. If Foles keep playing only good enough, Kelly will keep looking until he has his perfect QB.

72. 72 GEAGLE said at 11:23 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Yeah ok, eagkes will daft a QB in round 1, hold your breath, it will happen LOL

73. 73 Anders said at 1:03 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Not saying it will be round 1, but we will almost 100% take one in the top 3 rounds next draft

74. 74 bill said at 1:35 PM on October 30th, 2014:

If they do that, put me down as saying they are 3-5 years from SB contention. Too many other holes (Oline, secondary, youth at LB) if they’re going to spend such an important asset for a position that historically takes years to develop.

75. 75 GEAGLE said at 3:58 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I don’t think so… I’d take that bet… No way do I see us drafting a QB with a top 100 pick..
    I’m sure our coaches understand that young QB like FOles needs time, and he will probably show enough to warrant another year, before they go draft a QB and have to invest 3 years developing him..

I can assure dumb fans that if they want to draft a QB, he won’t provide much instant gratification and we will have to deal with YEARS of his growing pains, so every dope in this stupid city should be praying for FOles to pan out, since half of the development process has already been invested in him… The same idiots who want to trash FOles and draft a QB won’t give that draft the neccessary time to develop anyway, so these morons better hope FOles fixable mechanics can be fixed..
    …I seem to remember a young PHillips Rivers who had trouble with INTs, and footwork backing Uo, throwing off his back foot…and he sure managed to fix those issues

76. 76 Anders said at 5:21 AM on October 31st, 2014:

I really hope Foles is the QBOTF, but he really needs to stop throwing of his back foot all the time, constantly into double and triple coverage and his sideline throws should stop floating out of bounds all the time.

Also the OL has allowed 7 sacks for the year and the run game as been really good the last 3 games, yet Foles has still tossed 5 ints in 3 games.

77. 77 eagleyankfan said at 1:37 PM on October 30th, 2014:

And who would that be and how long would you give CK to find the ‘perfect’ qb? Not going to happen unless you luck out and stink AND there’s a great qb in the draft. As of right now, you’d have to say the Eagles, including Foles are good enough to win the division — meaning, we’re not getting a top 15 pick next year.
    ….
    By the time that happens(find the perfect qb) — shady and peters won’t be here. Pretty soon, its going to have to be understood that either Foles will take us to the SB or we’re in a few more years without going to the show…

78. 78 GEAGLE said at 3:59 PM on October 30th, 2014:

People are so dumb… Every dope wants to draft a QB, like 5% of those people will be willing to give that QB the time he needs to develope, so half these morons don’t even realize what they are saying or the ramifications of FOles not working out..smh

79. 79 Anders said at 5:19 AM on October 31st, 2014:

And that means we are in the worst possible position you can be in or as some say, QB purgatory. QB is good enough to win games so you cant draft the great talent, but not good enough to ever win you the big one unless you get lucky.

80. 80 Ark87 said at 4:20 PM on October 30th, 2014:

“Kelly will keep looking until he has his perfect QB.” which means he will always be looking as long as he’s coaching. But that is true of every position. But at least we won’t be forced to mortgage our future, Dan Snyder style, praying we finally land “the guy”. We’ll always look for an upgrade, but that’s just personnel 101.

81. 81 Pennguino said at 10:52 PM on October 29th, 2014:

I have always like Maclin’s game. An above average player that was like you said, good in a lot of areas but not elite in any one of them.
    The one thing I don’t think he is, is a 50/50 ball kind of guy. 4 of Foles’ interceptions have went Jeremy’s way. A 5th one was Jeremy’s guy coming off of the route and pick a pass for Matthews I think.
    The first pick the DB made a great play and went over Mac to get the ball. The second INT, Foles was getting hit as he released the ball so it went short. The 3rd was the CB had inside positioning but Mac made the tackle but didn’t break up the pass. The 4th was where Foles released it before Mac broke out. As Mac made his cut he saw a defender between him and the sideline. Mac pulled up and the ball went to the defender.

As Mac and Foles learn more about each other I think they will improve together. I am still expecting a 12/12 year from Mac. 12 TD’s / 1200 yards. He is the only receiver to hit double digit TD’s catching the ball since TO.

82. 82 mtn_green said at 1:03 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Yes. I’ve always had a bias since the sf game where db took ball from him. He really really played soft then. Hopefully 2014 is the real Maclin, and 2013 is the real Foles.

83. 83 Mitchell said at 11:37 PM on October 29th, 2014:

Wish we could have nabbed T.J. McDonald a few years ago, better yet John Cyprien.

84. 84 Pennguino said at 11:44 PM on October 29th, 2014:

I thought he was going to be our pick in the second then JAX took him.

85. 85 Anders said at 2:52 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Neither is lighting the world on the fire, even Vaccaro and Reid are struggling a bit this year

86. 86 Mitchell said at 12:02 PM on October 30th, 2014:

They don’t have to light the world on fire. The real questions are: Did I like them? Yes I had a man crush on both of them. Are they better than Nate? Idk but I had a man crush on both of them.

87. 87 Anders said at 5:21 AM on October 31st, 2014:

I loved Vaccaro last year. I just knew 4 was too high and 35 was too low for him

88. 88 Raul Estrada said at 11:58 PM on October 29th, 2014:

Hate to play devil’s advocate, but don’t you think that Maclin’s doing this because he wants a new contract?

89. 89 Insomniac said at 12:18 AM on October 30th, 2014:

We’ll know next year if he chooses to resign with us.

90. 90 anon said at 12:58 AM on October 30th, 2014:

and at what price. cooper gets $5m/yr for whatever it is he’s doing. What’s 1300/13 worth?

91. 91 Anders said at 4:50 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Maclin played hard before 2012.

92. 92 Raul Estrada said at 9:24 PM on October 30th, 2014:

And he’s on a one-year deal this season.

93. 93 Weapon Y said at 12:32 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Those of us who remember Pinkston/Thrash/Mitchell/Small/Johnson are grateful for Maclin. Those WRs were so bad Andy always called the one-yard out just because that was the only route they had a chance on.

94. 94 Mitchell said at 1:25 AM on October 30th, 2014:

What safeties do I watch on Saturday?

95. 95 GEAGLE said at 9:10 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Cody Prewitt…OL miss

96. 96 Anders said at 1:02 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Drummond, Prewitt, Collins and Thompson (if moved), that is worth it in the 1st two rounds

97. 97 anon said at 1:34 AM on October 30th, 2014:

“Jeremy Maclin eclipsed 100 receiving yards for the 12th time in his career, tying Terrell Owens for 10th in Eagles history.”

crazy how dominant TO was

98. 98 EagleNebula said at 1:44 AM on October 30th, 2014:

TO did that in what, a year and a half? So in 21 regular season games he had 10 100 yard games… Around 50% of the games he played…unreal

99. 99 anon said at 1:47 AM on October 30th, 2014:

yeah he was really good

100. 100 xeynon said at 2:02 AM on October 30th, 2014:

But also a complete headcase who undermined his quarterback, feuded with coaches, made himself an epic distraction, and basically kicked off the downward spiral of the Andy Reid regime. Stats don’t tell the whole story.

101. 101 anon said at 2:33 AM on October 30th, 2014:

that’s a lot to put on one guy’s shoulders. Don’t think we make the SB w/out TO and if No. 5 played better maybe we have a ring.

102. 102 Anders said at 2:51 AM on October 30th, 2014:

We didn’t have to for the first two games in the play offs and we had made 3 straight NFCCG with out him and won the fourth. He was great for sure, but wasn’t the reason we made the Sb but reason it was tight

103. 103 daveH said at 8:15 AM on October 30th, 2014:

and the O Line actually blocked somebody in that super bowl game .. i think DMac had over 100 yards of scrambling in the 1st halp

104. 104 BobSmith77 said at 2:20 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Defense got dinked and dunked to death in the 2nd half by Branch and couldn’t generate any kind of pass rush.

Douglas was a big talker who did nothing all day and Dawkins was largely a no-show who got beat twice on decent-sized passing plays.

105. 105 Avery Greene said at 8:16 AM on October 30th, 2014:

This. He had happy feet for the 1st quarter or so, then got tight in the 4th.

106. 106 bill said at 8:16 AM on October 30th, 2014:

*cough* cheating means we’ll never know the real outcome of that season *cough* *cough*

107. 107 xeynon said at 10:24 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Except we did make the Super Bowl without TO – he didn’t play a down in the NFC playoffs that year. He was great in the game itself, but they didn’t need him to get there.

I’ll give you that he wasn’t solely responsible for the downfall of the Reid regime, but I do think the distractions he created were a major reason the 2005 season was a disappointment, and Reid tolerating his poisonous “me first” attitude marked the beginning of a culture shift for the worse. Everything else I described there was absolutely true. There’s a reason team after team gave up on Owens despite him being physically one of the most talented receivers in the league.

108. 108 eagleyankfan said at 9:53 AM on October 30th, 2014:

how did he kick off the downward spiral?

109. 109 xeynon said at 2:20 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Before T.O., the Reid Eagles seemed to have an all for one, one for all mentality, kept problems in house, and handled adversity remarkably well. They had issues with personnel evaluation, but the team culture was excellent. Reid tolerating T.O.’s shenanigans, even briefly, was the initial sign that he was beginning to get desperate and compromise on his methods to try to get the team over the hump.

Obviously it’s more complicated than just that since they did bounce back to reach one more NFC championship game later in his tenure. But I do think T.O. was a bad influence on the team that contributed to the erosion of the foundation that was so successful from 2000-2004.

110. 110 eagleyankfan said at 5:59 PM on October 30th, 2014:

it’s reaching of course — McNabb had a lot to do with the downfall as well. probably would have been easier to say Reid sold his sole to the devil when they signed TO and it’s been down hill every since…

111. 111 Michael Winter Cho said at 10:59 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Everytime I hear Donnie say something dumb on radio, I wonder about the TO feud.

112. 112 BobSmith77 said at 2:15 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Should have paid him after the SB season. Still don’t think it ultimately would have changed the course of the franchise here or Reid’s tenure but it certainly would have made them a better team compared to the alternatives they brought in to replace him.

113. 113 xeynon said at 2:23 PM on October 30th, 2014:

When has paying TO ever made him happy? The guy was a terminal malcontent for his entire career and bitched his way out of three different organizations (and eventually out of the NFL) despite his talent. I don’t think he would’ve ever been satisfied or a team player.

114. 114 RobNE said at 7:33 AM on October 30th, 2014:

You can’t make friends with salad — Homer

115. 115 Mac said at 10:38 AM on October 30th, 2014:

You mean the Iliad and Odyssey guy right?

116. 116 RobNE said at 12:20 PM on October 30th, 2014:

yes from the poem where Iliad’s daughter Lisa becomes a vegetarian.

117. 117 ian_no_2 said at 8:42 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Jesus forgives users of social media, especially rookie quarterbacks.

118. 118 GEAGLE said at 9:01 AM on October 30th, 2014:

I’m one of the few people who doesn’t equate reynolds being on the practice squad with him being a hot pile of dookie, with that said, I hope to see reynolds stay on the practice squad the entire year. He spent his entire college career Practically playing in center field. Two months practicing his man to man technique on the practice squad isn’t enough to play safety in our scheme..

Let the kid grow his man to man technique on the PS for a year, so he has a chance to really compete at safety in next years training camp…

A rookie safety who hasn’t played man to man, can’t be thrust into our scheme

119. 119 Ark87 said at 9:15 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Yeah, he isn’t the type of guy who can be thrown on the field and let his youthful athleticism make up for his rookie mistakes, he’s just not that kind of athlete. If he makes it in this league it will be with his head. Give him a year to be polished up to be activated. Get him on the field some year 2, then year 3 will be his make or break.

120. 120 Avery Greene said at 9:19 AM on October 30th, 2014:

I thought he was drafted for his decision-making at Stanford. So I have to believe he’ll make it on those credentials.

121. 121 Ark87 said at 9:56 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Well that’s exactly it, he was drafted for his decision making, a solid mix of football smarts and instincts, but he isn’t a stand-out athlete. http://mockdraftable.com/player/4588/
    A fan favorite for reference:

Sometimes these types of players work out, sometime’s they don’t. No way to judge till they get on the field.

If Casey Matthews can round into a solid back-up then Ed has a chance to be a starter, it will just take a bit of time.

122. 122 EagleNebula said at 11:24 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Let’s not forget that he missed the entire spring due to NCAA rules and never had a chance to really catch up. Even Ertz had trouble catching up last year and he is a special athlete.

123. 123 Mitchell said at 12:04 PM on October 30th, 2014:

You and I both like this kid. He showed some nice things in pre-season. I like his history as a ball hawk, even if he doesn’t have elite athleticism. I don’t need him to return the int’s to the house, I just need him to come down with the ball and let the offense do the rest.

124. 124 eagleyankfan said at 9:50 AM on October 30th, 2014:

an Eagle played without interest in 2012? No way! Not with that great coaching staff put together by AR that year. As soon as AR named JC a DC, the whole team checked out. I don’t think we can hold 2014 against anyone, except AR.
    …..
    Would anyone notice if Allen played with a bad hammy? It’s not like he uses it against deep balls thrown over his head.
    …..
    Great time to be an Eagle fan. We’re talking about 2 plays from an undefeated season AND we’re in every game with play. That’s exciting stuff. We play a very talented Houston and team, on the road AND expected to win. Good stuff!!

125. 125 EagleNebula said at 11:21 AM on October 30th, 2014:

**edit sorry had to delete due to my phone replying to the wrong thread again. But I agree that you can’t equate 2012 with 2014. Too many differences and the similar issues are coming from very different causes.

126. 126 RobNE said at 10:34 AM on October 30th, 2014:

Cowboys at home giving 4 to Cardinals. Seems way too high, esp given Romo’s unknown status.

Cards are my lock of the week. Take the 4 points.

127. 127 GEAGLE said at 11:20 AM on October 30th, 2014:

WTF… Those that bet better take that line today, I can’t imagine the line stay at 4… Meh cardinals are going to destroy the over rated Cowboys, Carfinals are a nightmare matchup for Dallas they are equipped to expose all their weaknesses that they have been able to hide

128. 128 Sean Stott said at 12:23 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Disagree. The Cardinals are a different team at home than they are on the road.

129. 129 GEAGLE said at 4:17 PM on October 30th, 2014:

This is true..but I few the cardinals as a legit solid team. They will be solid in September, solid in October, and they will be a solid team in December… Personally I believe their is another shoe that still has to drop for the Cowboys. I don’t at all believe they will be the same team in December as they were in September.
    I think a lot of weakness of the Cowboys will be revealed this second half of the year, and they way arizona matches up with them should really exposes big weakness that they have been able to hide this far.

For example:, Meh secondary, plus Meh pass rush, has to face a Carfinals team that uses more 4 and 5 WR sets than most teams and takes shots down field more than a lot of teams… A Run defense THATS good enough to not let them control the clock all day with their run game, Weeden or romo will have to complete some key 3rd downs to win this week…..Not only do they have two OL who are suspect pass blockers, but the rookie G probably isn’t ready to face a bunch of different blitz packages. Their RB had two horrendously blown blitz pickups last week that really hurt them against the skins…
    The way the cardinals are built, IMO are well equipped to expose all the weakness the Cowboys have been able to Hide while fooling the dopes into thinking they are a top team…. I do wish the game was in arizona, but they should be able to beat Weeden even if they played in Japan…
    Nothing TRAVELS as well as a defense and run game..

130. 130 GEAGLE said at 11:52 AM on October 30th, 2014:

One of my favorite train wrecks, RG3 is starting this week. Colt McCoy success making him nervous? I will have my popcorn ready for this one lol…
    Any chance he isn’t coming back too soon? He doesn’t strike me as very bright.

131. 131 ACViking said at 3:03 PM on October 30th, 2014:

GE:

“One of my favorite train wrecks . . . .”
    _______________

A new pearl for the string.

bella

132. 132 Anders said at 3:06 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Every single player pushes to come back early. A player will tell you he can play even if he has no legs or arms. (unless you are Earl Wolff it seems)

133. 133 Gary Barnes said at 12:16 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I’ve always like Maclin, thought he was a great pick by Reid/Roseman and remember how dynamic and effective he was in 2010 with Vick. He’s had some injury issues for sure, but when healthy he has been pretty good all along. 2012 the whole team was terrible and the end of an era. I’m glad to see him healthy again and producing.

134. 134 Sean Stott said at 12:23 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Maclin looks like he’s gained 15 pounds of muscle lately. He is jacked.

135. 135 Media Mike said at 4:40 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Hopefully you didn’t just give him the kiss of death and jinx him into a 4 game suspension.

136. 136 botto said at 12:27 PM on October 30th, 2014:

apparently the eagles have played the number one easiest schedule in the league so far. that makes our struggles on offense sound even worse. and the turn overs! the turn overs….

137. 137 Sean Stott said at 12:35 PM on October 30th, 2014:

@ IND
    @ SF
    @ ARI

Yea, really easy indeed.

138. 138 botto said at 12:41 PM on October 30th, 2014:

according to profootballfocus or something like that we have played the easiest schedule this year so far and out remaining schedule is the 12th hardest.
    i thought we played a harder schedule then that too, but hey…

139. 139 Michael Winter Cho said at 1:23 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Yep. We’ll have to play better if we want to win the division. It’s even possible to miss the playoffs if we stay around this level on offense.

140. 140 botto said at 1:23 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I agree, im not sold that we are making the play offs at all

141. 141 Sean Stott said at 1:58 PM on October 30th, 2014:

>PFF

Yea, that’s your problem right there.

142. 142 BobSmith77 said at 2:13 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Why? They just use W-L percentage to calculate SOS. There isn’t any bias involved in the numbers.

143. 143 EagleNebula said at 2:23 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Ah, but that makes a lot of assumptions -specifically that all teams match up exactly the same and are playing under the same circumstances. For example it doesn’t that doesn’t account for injuries, beneficial match ups, time between games, playing teams at home or away etc. Hell, it doesn’t even account for the opponents strength of schedule. And how well teams match up is not necessarily based on number of wins -> divisional games are usually fairly hard to predict regardless of how well either team is playing due to familiarity.

144. 144 botto said at 2:37 PM on October 30th, 2014:

to be fair, wins and losses don’t account for that either at the end of the year

145. 145 EagleNebula said at 2:42 PM on October 30th, 2014:

No they don’t, but we aren’t talking about seeding and winning championships, we are talking about this mythical value to the wins that gets attributed to teams based on a massive number of assumptions in a way to explain why a team is better or worse regardless of their record. My argument is, strength of schedule is a bogus value and will not predict whether one 3-3 team will beat another 3-3.

146. 146 botto said at 2:55 PM on October 30th, 2014:

you’re right but, if a 3-3 team is playing a 6-0 team you would think that is harder then them playing a 2-4 team.

147. 147 EagleNebula said at 3:00 PM on October 30th, 2014:

depends, who did the two teams play? What are their injury situations? I mean, if that 2-4 team is, say the packers who were missing Rodgers for 3 weeks during that losing streak, And that 6-0 team was the Dolphins who just played a few AFC south teams, NFC south teams and the Jets… I probably would have to heavily consider the Packers.

148. 148 botto said at 3:04 PM on October 30th, 2014:

yeah it’s obvious if you are talking about the teams best player and one of the best players in the league being injured accounting for the record, sure. but in the eagles case that isn’t what we are talking about.
    but the fact is WE are missing some of our best players and pulled out a 5-2 start, so in that respect we are better then it seems maybe.

149. 149 EagleNebula said at 3:12 PM on October 30th, 2014:

But that is exactly my point. Strength of schedule makes the assumption that injuries on your team, or your opponents team don’t matter in attaining your schedule. It is base solely on W-L record under the assumption that no other variables matter. That is why I am saying the strength of schedule is a bogus value.

150. 150 A_T_G said at 5:11 PM on October 30th, 2014:

So what you are saying is that, in determining which of the two teams is better, you would consider the quality of the teams that they faced? And that maybe the 6-0 team isn’t as good as they look because they played easy opponents? Maybe you could even say they had a weak strength of schedule?

It isn’t often that you get to see the complete circle of logic returning to where it began. It is kind of like a double rainbow.

151. 151 EagleNebula said at 5:49 PM on October 30th, 2014:

no, what I am saying, is that I would determine which of two teams is better on any given day by how the game played out between them. I may attempt to guess at which team will win, but that is what it is, a guess and nothing more. Any other interpretation is based on masses of assumptions. I guess I should have said, I wouldn’t rule either team out.

Furthermore, I clumsily was trying to point out that “how good a team is” is not a constant but a variable based on health, cohesion, how well they know their jobs, how much they trust one another to carry out each job and how well they predicted how the other team will play them. Strength of schedule assume all that to be static. On any given sunday, how good a team is going to play is not necessarily the same as how they played previous weeks or will play in future.

**Edit: and most importantly, I would make sure to include the context within which every team plays. W-L records are deceptive. That was my point.

152. 152 Sean Stott said at 2:23 PM on October 30th, 2014:

PFF is terrible in general.

153. 153 Sean Stott said at 6:51 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Which W-L percentage? Today? At the time of the game? From last season? What about the final W-L percentages from THIS season, which isn’t complete?

See how stats can lie?

154. 154 Matt said at 2:53 PM on October 30th, 2014:

It was football outsiders. The reason our schedule is weak is because football outsider’s statistical calculations only has the Colts as a top half of the league team. AZ, SF are actually bottom half of the league teams in their calculations. So basically, according to Football Outsiders, we beat one good team, four really bad teams, and lost to two mediocre teams. Based on actual record, I don’t believe we are actually 32nd, although the Jags, Skins, and Rams records might be pulling that down.

155. 155 botto said at 2:56 PM on October 30th, 2014:

interesting. ok. so I guess we should just beat whoever we play then. that should fix it.

156. 156 anon said at 1:32 PM on October 30th, 2014:

We can hang with but not beat good teams. The way Denver handled sf is not good.

157. 157 EagleNebula said at 2:29 PM on October 30th, 2014:

every game is independent of each other, can’t compare. Eagles were playing SF down 3-4 linemen and the starting line had 3rd stringers starting. The running back was not trusting it at all. Had the line been healthy I am sure the game would have gone totally different. Maybe even if they had a full night of sleep.

158. 158 botto said at 2:38 PM on October 30th, 2014:

the niners had injuries too

159. 159 EagleNebula said at 2:39 PM on October 30th, 2014:

There you go, even more reasons why the two games can’t be compared, multiple players on either side are different. That colors the matchup.

160. 160 anon said at 2:56 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Arguably the starters the 49ers were missing were higher quality than the ones we were missing. Those are both all pro guys (smith and bowman).

161. 161 botto said at 2:59 PM on October 30th, 2014:

yeah but ours are all pros too no? Mathis and Kelce? and Djax? JK..

162. 162 EagleNebula said at 3:08 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I beg to differ. Mathis, Johnson, Kelce, Tobin…? Mathis was All-Pro, and Kelce is arguably that good. Johnson looks like he may get to that level. It was what, Molk’s second game? It isn’t like the line was missing 1 or 2 players, hell they were missing back ups at those positions as well. Continuity on the OL is among the most important aspects of any offense. Just look at what has happened to Seattle without their starting center. The impact of the people lost isn’t solely based on previous awards & accomplishments…

163. 163 jpate said at 3:25 PM on October 30th, 2014:

But to your comparison to denver doesn’t equate as the bronces were healthy.
    Healthy Denver > Injured SF.
    Injured SF >/= Injured Philly.

164. 164 RobNE said at 1:14 PM on October 30th, 2014:

that’s just b/c we beat everyone

165. 165 botto said at 1:19 PM on October 30th, 2014:

that’s true. except for the 2 best teams we played.
    giants suck
    rams suck
    skins suck
    jags suck
    even before we beat them
    that’s 4 of 5 wins

this next game will show a lot, then GB, Carolina, Seattle…

166. 166 xeynon said at 2:12 PM on October 30th, 2014:

The Giants are medicore. I’d say the same is true of the Texans and Panthers. Seattle is hardly a world beater this season, especially since the game will be in Philly. I’m not too worried about the schedule.

167. 167 sutherneagle said at 3:46 PM on October 30th, 2014:

(meant to send this to botto)
    and yet the skins whooped dallas

168. 168 botto said at 4:19 PM on October 30th, 2014:

yeah, they beat ’em up good.
    Colt McCoy is the man.
    but its true division games are the exception because anything can and does happen.

169. 169 EagleNebula said at 3:34 PM on October 30th, 2014:

great point, you can improve your strength of schedule by losing to teams! Seriously, you lose and those teams records improve and factor into the calculation of how hard your schedule is. Wow that is flawed, a good team negatively impacts how hard their schedule is with every win…

170. 170 sutherneagle said at 3:44 PM on October 30th, 2014:

part of the reason for last year`s easy schedule

171. 171 botto said at 4:18 PM on October 30th, 2014:

that’s true!
    flawed is right.
    doesn’t matter just beat the next team each week.

172. 172 eagleyankfan said at 5:55 PM on October 30th, 2014:

and that means exactly what? The great and all powerful Dallas had no chance of losing to the Redskins. I mean, after all, the Redskins were down to their 3rd string qb. The Redskins are pathetic. All that crap means nothing once the whistle blows to start the game.
    Didn’t the superbowl winning team lose the previous week to the Rams? It’s impossible because they were part of the easy schedule …

173. 173 NinjaP said at 1:07 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Tommy what are your thoughts on all the broken coverages on Maclin? It seems to me that chip’s scheme kind of wills his position open at times. A player putting up his kind of stats should be getting double covered but instead it seems like he doesn’t even get covered at times.

174. 174 anon said at 1:30 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I think that’s exactly what’s going on. It’s like everyone runs clearing routes and there’s someone either wide open or single covered

175. 175 Anders said at 2:03 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Maclin did the same before. Maclin just runs super good routes.

176. 176 Mac said at 3:19 PM on October 30th, 2014:

It’s because defenses are scheming to take away Cooper. 😉

177. 177 Andy Six Score and Four said at 6:45 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Shading coverage towards DJacc…

178. 178 RobNE said at 1:52 PM on October 30th, 2014:

In the BGN piece with the Texans blog, the Texans blogger says they don’t miss Meco (“Everyone know Kendricks is better”) or Barwin (he was always just missing getting there). Kinda rude, I thought. Meco and Barwin are hugely important for us.

179. 179 Anders said at 2:03 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Its sorta like when you GF breaks up with you. After the break up, you didnt really need them anyway….

180. 180 Avery Greene said at 7:03 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Even if she turns into a supermodel making millions a year…

181. 181 Bert's Bells said at 4:40 PM on October 30th, 2014:

For one, everyone does know that Kendricks is a better ILB going forward than Ryans, and also he says that the Texans could use him now anyway as an upgrade over Cushing.

Plenty of Eagles fans would agree that Barwin is the “king of almost getting there” even though he’s been lights out this season. He goes on to add that he was a positive guy overall.

What you should be upset about is his complete dismissal of Donnie Jones. If there’s one thing to give that patented Philly whine about, it’s DISRESPECTING Donnie J’Owns.

182. 182 BobSmith77 said at 2:23 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Pardon my rude language but Maclin has ‘Big Ball Swagger’ right now. Never going to be a boastful, in-your-place WR but you can tell that he is just feeling it & has a good chance to catch anything throw this way. Made more difficult catches this year already than I can remember him making in any other season.

183. 183 GEAGLE said at 4:09 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I know we don’t talk about our opponents til like Saturday or the morning of the game, but what’s the feeling going into this game? I did too good of a job avoiding the media and dumb fans this week that I have no idea what the pulse of Eagles nation is this week

Braman was a guest on Eagles weekly podcast. I love that man, what a treat

184. 184 Media Mike said at 4:41 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I feel like we need a win.

185. 185 GEAGLE said at 5:17 PM on October 30th, 2014:

We are Eagles fans.. If we were 13-1 we would still feel like we need a win 😉

186. 186 b3nz0z said at 4:57 PM on October 30th, 2014:

i agree with you that the texans can’t beat us unless we help them to.

187. 187 eagleyankfan said at 5:51 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Best post of the day. As everyone knows .. we helped SF and Ari…let’s not make it 3…

188. 188 GermanEagle said at 4:14 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Why not try Boykin at S next off season?

189. 189 Media Mike said at 4:41 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Height!

190. 190 GermanEagle said at 6:09 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Is not necessarily important to play FS.

191. 191 GENETiC-FREAK said at 4:53 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Watkins can play S.. What the deal with that guy?

192. 192 GEAGLE said at 5:55 PM on October 30th, 2014:

He was hurt last week, the week before he had a pretty big game on ST, he was playing Gunner like a beast… I do hear that we may end up going the safety route with him, no idea how true that is

193. 193 D3FB said at 2:01 AM on October 31st, 2014:

You wait as long as you can before you move a guy to S. If the coaches go that route, they would have to do it after the season so that he has a full offseason to transform his body.

194. 194 GEAGLE said at 5:28 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I got this crazy idea…why don’t we lineup Boykin at slot CB next year since every playoff team in the NFL has ATleast 3 dangerous WRs, and we can enjoy the services of one of the very best slot CB in the NFL… Crazy idea isn’t it?

195. 195 GermanEagle said at 6:10 PM on October 30th, 2014:

S > slot CB.

196. 196 Avery Greene said at 7:02 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I don’t hate this idea if he’s 100%, but I do worry about his physicality if he has to play the box or tackle a RB / TE. I’ve seen him struggle in that area and I would personally prefer a safety that can cover and lay wood.

197. 197 botto said at 4:37 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I have always thought maclin was good but there is absolutely no doubt he looks better then ever in every way this year. faster, tougher, more fired up and angry too.
    what happened to our crossers in the redzone like last year? cooper and ertz or celic?
    when is Foles going to hit the seem routes?
    sproles will make a big impact this week I hope, that’s how we win.

198. 198 GEAGLE said at 4:52 PM on October 30th, 2014:

This week we can do things the easy way, or the hard way…

If we play a clean game, keep the penalties down and not turn the ball over, we win what should be a fun game…the easy way, not sweating the game down to the last minute.
    If we shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties that keep us from getting into a flow and turn the ball over against this team, things become very difficult…
    This is a Meh offense we are facing, the problem is that they havee serious skill player weapons so like the Cardinals, we can play good defense all day, but if we give up X plays, all our great defense can go to waste… The last thing we can do is turn the ball over, give the Texans a short field and momentum that they try to captilize on with big plays to hopkins Andre or the RB foster who is playing really well.
    This is a really good test for our front 7 against a veteran, smooth, smart, and patient RB is a threat running and catching…getting Kendrick back in our base defense is huge this week…

We are going to look like the better team on Sunday, hopefully we don’t make this game more difficult that it needs to be. We are going to win the majority of the battles, shame if we waste a ton of good play again, by our offense turning the ball over and the defense breaking down and giving up the monster X play.

199. 199 Avery Greene said at 7:00 PM on October 30th, 2014:

He’s the type of player I really like. I don’t think there’s one thing he’s elite at doing, but he’s really good in every area. He can get separation, he can work the redzone, he blocks, he’s got muscle, and I think he wins on jump balls.

200. 200 GEAGLE said at 5:22 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Anyone know if Nate practiced today? I hope not lol.
    If someone could get me in touch with Earl wolff, I’d like to pay for a sports psychologist for the kid…again he gave quotes talking about this damn knee injury while admitting that he has no structural or ligament damage. WTF.. He either bruised his friggin Knee or he sprained it, how is either friggin minor injury a two year ordeal? WTF is going on, enough with this damn knee. I’d give anything to have Chip and Wolff in the same room taking questions, because I hear one answer questions about it, then I hear the other, and ish doesn’t add up… 1 + 1 isnt equalling 2, and I’m tired of being in the dark about it…wtf is going on with this kid and his knee? We got kids who busted their ass to fight thru microfracture surgery and rehab and we are doing a two year tango with this kid over a bruise or a sprain? Is he related to ANDREW Bynum or something? I don’t get it. He got first team reps this week, and possibly a chance to start, the last thing he should be doing is thinking or talking about the damn knee

201. 201 GENETiC-FREAK said at 5:30 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Sounds like he got tendonitis

202. 202 Bert's Bells said at 6:20 PM on October 30th, 2014:

If brain into body transplants was a real thing, both of those guys would be far down the list of candidates.

203. 203 GEAGLE said at 5:39 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I expect a pissed off defense looking to take some ish out on the Texans..and I expect Former Texans, Braman, Demeco and Barwin to have some extra pep in their step this week…. Texans RT is suspect. I expect Barwin with a his hair on fire to make their RT look like a revolving door..
    For those who crap on our defense, I don’t get how you don’t give some sort of respect to a young group that in a year and a half has grown into the 4th ranked run defense. The scary part is that top 5 ranking came without having MYkal Kemdrick for the majority of the games…Foster is having a great year, he has much more left in the tank than I thought, but a pissed off 4th ranked run defense is coming to Texas and you can Bet:

1: Cox is going to want to make his presence felt, when the best player at his position will be roaming the opposing defense. Expecting Cox to elevate his plays and have a big game..
    2) That 4th ranked run defense gets Kemdrick back in its base, and you know Meco Ryans will be a tad bit more hungry and hit a tad bit harder this weak after they trashed him
    3) Connar Barwin talked about circling this game back during the summer when the schedule was released, so you know he will jacked up

I’m struggling in Fantasy to decide if I want to start Cox or Barwin this week, on one hand, Cox has been our best pass rusher, but doesn’t have any sacks, soon they are going to come in bunches for him..But Barwin will be jacked up for this one, and their RT is one of their weak links as of late, so right now, I have him in my starting lineup…

All I ask is two things:
    1)’we don’t throw any INTs

2) Wolff or Nate NEVER lets hopkins or old man Andre behind them..
    PS let’s not let JJ Watt murder our young QB

204. 204 eagleyankfan said at 5:49 PM on October 30th, 2014:

why run again against them when you can pass all day(he says with a smirk 🙂 ). No question, this is a good defense. I have no idea what the actual numbers are but the 3rd down effort appears to be much better this year.
    and the only way wish number 2 happens is if both are benched …

205. 205 GEAGLE said at 5:50 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Why run when you can pass all game? Cuz your QB is Fitzpatrick. Who’s best asset is a wicked Board and curly mustache

206. 206 eagleyankfan said at 6:03 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Respect the stache! Respect it!!!

207. 207 Avery Greene said at 6:59 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I think they get a couple turnovers this week. This defense is better than what people give them credit for. Yes we should have beaten AZ, but they are very good about taking care of the ball. Houston is not as good.

208. 208 anon said at 8:12 PM on October 30th, 2014:

What tbs have we played? Jax? Was? Stl? Nyg backup? Gore had a career game against us. Bradshaw and Richardson ran on us. All that said would love to keep foster to 80 and a td without getting exposed in the passing game.

209. 209 Avery Greene said at 6:51 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Okay people – two things you want in Sunday’s game. Here’s mine:
    1 – I want to see Foles step into his throws and some improvement in his footwork.
    2 – I’d like to see an INT this week. I think our secondary could use that motivation.

210. 210 GermanEagle said at 7:26 PM on October 30th, 2014:

3. Boykin is overdue for a pick.

211. 211 EagleNebula said at 7:32 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I thought Carroll had that pick at the end of the game on the second to last defensive play… if only he had.

212. 212 RobNE said at 7:44 PM on October 30th, 2014:

1. a win
    2. no picks by Foles

213. 213 Mitchell said at 8:13 PM on October 30th, 2014:

No turnovers from Foles in general.

214. 214 GermanEagle said at 7:26 PM on October 30th, 2014:

I. Hate. Winston.

215. 215 GermanEagle said at 7:31 PM on October 30th, 2014:

If I was Howie, I’d make UFA Safety Devin McCourty my top priority in the next off season, provided the Pats won’t tag him.

216. 216 anon said at 8:06 PM on October 30th, 2014:

Pats gonna keep him I think. Otherwise agree cb, s that can return balls. I’ll take that.

217. 217 D3FB said at 1:59 AM on October 31st, 2014:

McCourty, Jabal Sheard, KJ Wright would all be quality additions. They fall in that sweet zone of second tier FAs where you get good players but don’t pay crazy money.

218. 218 GermanEagle said at 6:19 AM on October 31st, 2014: