The Wade Smith Era is Over

Posted: October 14th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 111 Comments »

It is with heavy heart that I must report some sad news…Wade Smith is no longer an Eagle. I’m sure half of you are fighting back tears, while the other half is going “Who is Wade Smith?”.

But there is a silver lining to every cloud.

The Eagles re-signed C/G Julian Vandervelde to take Smith’s place. Vandervelde is one of those guys who has seemingly been around forever, but hasn’t really played. I think he is the last remaining Eagle that played with Reggie White. Vandervelde is more of a C than a G. Adding him now makes sense because there was no ideal backup for David Molk. Smith could play C, but was a natural G.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Jason Kelce returns from injury. The Eagles could cut one of the backup Centers and then add a player at another position. Or maybe they stay heavy with backup OL due to all the injuries this year. Better safe than sorry, or something to that effect.

I’m also curious to see what happens in the offseason. The Eagles would love to have someone behind Kelce that they are completely comfortable with. Both Molk and Vandervelde have their issues. At the same time, Molk has shown the potential to be an effective starter. Maybe he’ll win the long term backup C job.

OLB production

2013: 16 sacks, 5 FFs, 1 INT, 10 TFLs

2014: 11.5 sacks, 7 FFs, 0 INTs, 6 TFLs

The 2013 stats cover all 16 games. This year the team has only played 6 games. The OLBs are playing well and they are making some big plays. The big difference is that Connor Barwin is getting sacks instead of pressures and Brandon Graham is now comfortable playing LB. Last year the coaches had to play him to give Trent Cole some rest. This year Graham is playing for both Barwin and Cole. And Graham has become not just an effective backup, but a good player.

I still don’t know what his future is in this scheme, but maybe he will end up sticking around.

As for Cole, he’s probably my favorite Eagle. It is great to see him still finding a way to be disruptive and making plays. He’s not going to beat LTs off the edge on every play, but the coaches have found different ways to use him and still get good production. And I love the fact that Cole is open to new ideas. He just wants to pound on the QB. He doesn’t care if that means rushing off the left side or the right side, or flying up the A-gap.

A cheesecake pic for the ladies.

Sexy, sexy, sexy.

The Eagles are 5-1. The previous two seasons, the team was 3-3 at this point. The two previous years the team was 4-2.

Getting off to a good start doesn’t guarantee anything, but it sure does help your postseason chances. Under Andy Reid the Eagles got off to .500 starts a lot and then played really well in the second half of the season. The team followed that same formula last year.

It feels good to see the Eagles winning early. They still need to get a lot better, but it really is important to win as many games as you can. Steve Young explained that Bill Walsh told his teams to think of winning games as putting money in the bank. Winning on Sunday night doesn’t mean anything in and of itself, but it helps put you in the right position at the end of the season.

The last time the Eagles were as good or better than 5-1? 2004, the Super Bowl season. That team looked great from the get-go. This team needs some more games like Sunday night before it is anything like that team. Still, love the 5-1 start.

111 Comments on “The Wade Smith Era is Over”

1. 1 eagleyankfan said at 9:53 PM on October 14th, 2014:

I now have to go poke my eyes out.

2. 2 Flyin said at 11:33 PM on October 14th, 2014:

Everything looks better when the world is black… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsX2Q3M8vMo

3. 3 disqus_jB7dl5fzvO said at 10:07 PM on October 14th, 2014:

Green jerseys seem so much sexier after not seeing them in forever.

4. 4 the guy said at 10:35 PM on October 14th, 2014:

Wade Smith was a great defensive coordinator in Houston, I’m surprised he’s having such a hard time finding work.

5. 5 TommyLawlor said at 10:36 PM on October 14th, 2014:

Well played, sir.

6. 6 BC1968 said at 11:29 PM on October 14th, 2014:

Same guy I thought of. I guess his work in Dallas is what ruined his resume.

7. 7 SteveH said at 11:23 PM on October 14th, 2014:

For some reason my first thought was that Wade Phillips was fired again.

8. 8 daveH said at 12:39 PM on October 15th, 2014:

daveH upvotes SteveH .. Hendo that you ??

9. 9 jpate said at 11:30 PM on October 14th, 2014:

Did donovan have a stroke when he did his power ranking? Heard about this on WIP but wow

10. 10 SteveH said at 11:33 PM on October 14th, 2014:

Haha, Cleveland 2 spots ahead of Dallas. Man Donovan is a piece of work.

11. 11 Flyin said at 11:45 PM on October 14th, 2014:

Piece of work? More like a piece of ignorance. He made this known many years ago.

12. 12 BC1968 said at 12:06 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Hilarious this guy has a job…Murica!!!

13. 13 Flyin said at 12:20 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Hilarious is not a word I would describe him as. Just glad what I saw years ago, fans are seeing now over the the past few years.

14. 14 BC1968 said at 2:36 PM on October 15th, 2014:

He gets his jabs in at us for sure, but I mean it’s hilarious the fact that someone would hire him. I loved when James Woods was working at the Qwik E Mart for an upcoming movie role when he was on the Simpsons. It was awesome, he took the job really seriously. Man it was great, he would do way better than McNabb at this job. Probably would’ve won a couple of Super Bowls for us also.

15. 15 Avery Greene said at 3:35 PM on October 15th, 2014:

He was also pretty serious on Family Guy too.

16. 16 Flyin said at 7:17 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I almost deleted my response since it was a little off topic from your statement.

My feelings for McNabb have been very negative for a long time. The Easter day he was traded was one of my favorite Eagles days EVER!

I was at the KC game last year and I booed him for what I think of him, however, I also cheered him out of respect for the positives he did early in his career..

17. 17 shady25 said at 4:26 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I think he does this on purpose so he can keep his name relevant

18. 18 BC1968 said at 12:07 AM on October 15th, 2014:

He’s still mad about that air guitar thingy I guess…lol

19. 19 mc said at 12:52 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Hey, I’m proud of him for hating on the Boys. I thought we’d appreciate that.

20. 20 Mitchell said at 12:55 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Beau Allen though, 7th round steal. Can’t believe he made the team, let alone contributes fairly well. Remember last year’s 7th rounders? David King and Kruger. I had higher hopes for Kruger but then again we have a very good front so its probably harder to crack than most.

21. 21 GEAGLE said at 7:57 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Not at all surprised. Kid can play. I thought we would have signed him as an Undrafted free agent, but I damn sure don’t mind spending a 7th on him… What’s funny is his draft spot. Forget the exact number, maybe pick #247 or something was the exact spot donnie Jomes was drafted… There is some good Eagles karma in that draf spot…we might have to trade for that draft spot in the next draft lol…
    Bennie and Beau make us set at NT for the next decade. They are playing really good ball…and that’s a tough position for young players…look forward to seeing what they look like when their games and bodies mature..

I like that Beau would line up in front of the Dallas Center at practice in Wisconsin.. Should know some tendencies about the dallas center.

22. 22 anon said at 8:24 AM on October 15th, 2014:

While bennie is getting better sometimes you just need a guy with long hair to plug up the middle.

23. 23 Mitchell said at 10:30 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Our team still lacks a Somoan in the trenches and a guy with dreads, that actually start. Chip needs to work on this.

24. 24 GEAGLE said at 10:36 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Lol you know it…every good defense has one

25. 25 Mitchell said at 1:19 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Correction: every good defense has BOTH! Would like a Somoan before someone dreads personally.

26. 26 shady25 said at 4:30 PM on October 15th, 2014:

And we also need a headhunter who is one fine away from getting suspended.

27. 27 Mitchell said at 9:19 PM on October 15th, 2014:

That would preferably be the guy with dreads.

28. 28 GEAGLE said at 7:20 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Correcting me? Lol that’s my motto lol 😉

29. 29 shady25 said at 4:30 PM on October 15th, 2014:

So much for us needing a NT. And how about Bennie Logan? He’s definitely surprised me this year. I guess Billy Davis and Azzinaro do know what they are talking about huh?

30. 30 GEAGLE said at 4:51 PM on October 15th, 2014:

This was,never in doubt in my mind.. glad to see them play so well that it’s now obvious to fans n media

31. 31 MattE said at 12:50 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Wisconsin is a lineman factory on both sides of the ball, I feel any lineman from WI is worth a shot.

32. 32 shady25 said at 4:31 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Wisconsin and Iowa. Well Iowa for OL

33. 33 shady25 said at 4:28 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Yeah and how about Louis Nix? on IR for the year. Everyone wanted us to draft him and he barely participated in OTA’s. Beau Allen and Brandon Bair are definitely steals. That was some damn good work by Howie and the scouts to pull those 2 off. The defense doesn’t miss a beat when they are in the game either.

34. 34 Anders said at 2:32 AM on October 15th, 2014:

So all this extra time and Nike still can’t get midnight green right?

35. 35 GEAGLE said at 9:44 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Lol I didn’t see this post… Glad I’m not the only one nitpicking Uni’s… But you are rigjt…way too light…

As dumb as it may sound…even pro players get execited about new uni’s… Look good, feel good, perform good ISNT bogus…if players get a tad more excited to wear diff jerseys, then hopefully we designate a couple games down thee stretch for all blacks or kelly green throwbacks….
    Plus my selfish desires are tired of buying these same Eagles jerseys
    I knew the all black would be dope. I THINK the saints look badass when they go all black

36. 36 Rick Deckard said at 3:21 AM on October 15th, 2014:

I think one OL Backup has to leave when Mathis returns from IR. I guess it’s between Vandervelde (3rd Center) and Kelly (4th/5th Guard).

37. 37 Ryan said at 5:52 AM on October 15th, 2014:

I think Mathis and Kelce will return from injury the same time. That would allow the Eagles to release one of the backup Centers again to facilitate Mathis’ return. Hopefully it works out smoothly.

38. 38 DaO_Z said at 3:29 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Beefcake? or you really mean cheesecake?

39. 39 Buge Halls said at 3:23 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Lardcake?

40. 40 Corry said at 6:48 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Wade Smith was cut? It’s clear to me Chip and Howie have no desire to bring a championship to Philadelphia, he said with heavy sarcasm.

41. 41 anon said at 8:22 AM on October 15th, 2014:

You don’t just cut one of the most talented OL in the game – they couldn’t even get anything in a trade.

42. 42 Buge Halls said at 3:24 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Snyder is already cutting him a check!

43. 43 GEAGLE said at 7:50 AM on October 15th, 2014:

bye week sucks

44. 44 daveH said at 8:25 AM on October 15th, 2014:

sukes for us for sure ..time to get some chores done ..but don’t mind a light array of injuries on the team right about now ..ive said for years in hockey how valuable a few ‘light’ injuries can be. thinking he same for our Birds now. glad Sproles has 2 weeks to stay fresh — when they get back they are fresh and jonesing to play and picks up the entire team with fresh momentum.
    .. do we add an RB ?

45. 45 GEAGLE said at 8:58 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Don’t thnk we add a back, if we do, it would be Kejon Barner.. Bye week certainly came at a good time, plus I expect us to sit back and climb to first place this week after Dallas loses to Giants… We went thru our injury hell early, and we managed to overcome it to a 5-1 record…not to mention if playoffs started today we would be the#1 seed with homefield throughout.

Now we get to see how our competition deals with its injuries..

Dallas lost its RT for a month..
    Seahawks center is banged up, CB Maxwell is banged up…and ther LT tore its labrum in week 3 and will play through it and have surgery after the season..

San Fran lost Patrick Willis.. Iupati got a concussion..
    ..,
    While we get to nurse our boys back to strength, we get to see how our competition overcomes injuries…..

Rest up during the bye, get ready to travel Westcoast for a battle of 5-1 Eagles @ 5-1 Cardinals (assume they beat raiders this weekend)
    .,.
    So if the Giants give Dallas a loss this week, and then we beat the 5-1 Cardinals, we will sit alone at the top of the NFC… All while we fly under the radar and get overlooked by national media… Works for me. Let us fly under the radar!

46. 46 GEAGLE said at 8:59 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Those green jerseys are so ugly… That color green is crap.. Don’t care what we wear on the road…but we should stick to black at home
    Imagine the all blacks with Kelly green instead of midnight stripes..

47. 47 Anders said at 9:21 AM on October 15th, 2014:

yea its way to light shade

48. 48 CrackSammich said at 9:35 AM on October 15th, 2014:

In the way too soon to care department, Eagles are currently the 1 seed for the playoffs!

Small things to brag about during the bye week.

49. 49 BC1968 said at 1:10 PM on October 15th, 2014:

If we can somehow get Dallas to stop playing their division games it’s locked up.

50. 50 Avery Greene said at 3:30 PM on October 15th, 2014:

They may lose on Sunday.

51. 51 GEAGLE said at 9:37 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Ok…Appologies, but it’s time for me to swaggerjack this thread,..Need to be discussing FOles and chip Mic’ed up this week on inside the NFL highlights… Gave me goosebumps..so awesome!!!!
    ..,
    Had no idea FOles was such a vocal wild child leader…. He was getting hype all game, pumping offense up like “let’s run the ball down tbeir throat”…”they can’t stop us, run it down their throat all day”… I was jacked up seeing and hearing FOles play as such an emotional leader……
    Chip was talking to someone before the game and he gave a interesting quote “we have a great group of guys, culture beats scheme every time!”…. Interesting, from the results, can’t disagree,,,

After we won, running off the field chip “it’s late, let’s get the FLOCK out of Here”.. As he runs off the field chip jumps on Jason Peters back to celebrate, telling peters “I love you brother…AWESOME!”
    Great seeing coach and QB play with so much fire and emotion….great to hear how tight Sanchez and FOles are… Great to see coaches and players celebrate…Chip and DUCE always jumping on each other’s.
    For those that haven’t seen it, strongly suggest checking out eagles vs. giant highlights on inside the NFL… Gave me goosebumps.

This is a very close team, and a very strong locker room…. We are to be taken very serious this year as a contender.
    ….
    The Nation is making a big mistake letting us fly under the radar….it makes us more dangerous…

52. 52 CrackSammich said at 10:12 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Link?

53. 53 GEAGLE said at 10:35 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Showtime inside the NFL..last nights episode

54. 54 peteike said at 5:43 PM on October 15th, 2014:

They were showing some of these on NFL network, I wonder if they still are? Hoping maybe its just later in the week, Ill look for it for sure.

55. 55 GEAGLE said at 6:15 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Yeah I think NFL network airs show times inside the NFL Wed-Friday since showtime airs it on Tuesday night… ONLY DIFFERENCE IS showtime its a hour long, NFL network its 1.30 since they have to add commercials…

56. 56 P_P_K said at 12:29 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Everytime Nick opens his mouth I become more impressed with the kid. He’s got the fire in the belly, he’s a leader by example, and he’s a humble guy.
    I also have tremendous respect for the fact that you never hear a peep from him about bringing home the lowest salary of any starting qb in the NFL (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/08/13/projected-starting-qb-salaries-for-2014-by-team/14013637/).
    Even compared to his teammates, he’s near the bottom in earnings.(http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles)

57. 57 GEAGLE said at 6:36 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Screw what I think about FOles.. Screw what you Think about him. Screw what Tom thinks about him, or what Sal pal thinks about him… All you need to know is 53 players believe in him as their leader… Go ask Jason Peters or a veteran demeco, or BARWIN about FOles, and you will hear them gush bout the kid..

Great game, bad games…fact of the matter is, when the games on the line and we need our qb to take us down field and win it, I absolutely believe in FOles, and our players do too.. Veterans who have been around the block and seen great QBs, have absolute belief in our young gunslinger..and that should tell us everything we need to know… How can I care about a media member or fan not being sold on him, when hall of FAME Jason Peters has total faith in FOles leading us?

There isn’t a hint of doubt in our locker room about whether or not FOles is the franchise Guy….and that’s all we need to know

Good game. Or bad game…when the game is on the line, this kid steps up…. When he has had bad games. He almost always bounces back with impressive performances…

Let’s see how long it takes fans and media to understand this is our leader Going forward… Go ask Jason Peters or dEmeco ryan about trading FOles and drafting Marriotta..see how crazy they look at us lol… This team has total confidence in their leader….that,should tell us everything

58. 58 Avery Greene said at 3:30 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I don’t think Sanchez wants to leave this team. We may see him as our backup again next year, unless Barkley does some things in practice between now and the offseason.

59. 59 GEAGLE said at 4:13 PM on October 15th, 2014:

That would be so awesome if we can keep Sanchize for a few more years… He does seem to really enjoy being an eagle, and im,sure he realizes at some point FOles gets dinged up and he gets to drive the Ferrari… Extending Sanchez for like two more years is one of the biggest moves we can make to secure a future as contenders..

60. 60 P_P_K said at 6:49 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I hope we keep Mark, an excellent backup. I wonder, though, if he’ll be content as #2. After all, he’s been a starting qb. On the other hand, it’s been said the best job in the world is to be the backup quarterback in a championship franchise. Lots of wins, lots of money, and no sacks to break your bones.

61. 61 GEAGLE said at 9:52 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Crazy how much crap fans talked about bennie logan this offseason. Fanbase owes that kid a huge appology, he is playing out of his mind and he has been all season… Surprise surprise a promising looking rookie showing big strides in year two,…what a concept…who would have ever thunk it?

For bennie to look like a godsend at NT, and to get lucky and add a mobile beefcake like Beau behind him….the future of our NT position is extremely exciting..and it a crucial position in this defense. when B and B(Beau and Bennie) get their grown man strength, they can be scary NT rotation
    …..
    Wouldn’t mind seeing a goal line run defense package with Bennie, Baeu, Ced, Cox and Bair all on the front Line,,,

62. 62 Henly125 said at 1:15 PM on October 15th, 2014:

i’d hate to say this, but I wonder if we’ll bring Thronton back next year.. He’s on a 1-year deal and playing pretty good himself.

If not, then I could see a lineup of Cox – Allen (Maybe?) – Logan..

Considering Beau Allen takes a step forward later this season, I wouldnt doubt that possibility.

But, nonetheless, I love how our line is playing this season.

63. 63 mtn_green said at 2:15 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Thorton will be back. Not a huge market for run stuffing two gapers.

64. 64 GEAGLE said at 6:13 PM on October 15th, 2014:

He won’t ever reach the market…we will extend him soon

65. 65 D3FB said at 3:37 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Thorton will be an RFA. They can tender him at a second round level for like $1.3 million next year. Nobody is going to give him a big contract and give up a second round pick.

66. 66 Henly125 said at 4:20 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Yeah so he’s sticking around then.

67. 67 GEAGLE said at 4:10 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Thornton is going no where..

68. 68 iceberg584 said at 2:19 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Yeah, there was a lot of consternation over a couple of bad drives in the NO game – where it was obvious our gameplan had been to stop Brees/Graham. Then, it kind of got worse when Logan (and Fletcher Cox) really seemed to “pace themselves” in August. Now, he’s on target to make the Pro Bowl and is looking like a great 3rd round pick.

69. 69 GEAGLE said at 6:22 PM on October 15th, 2014:

bennie is right on schedule.. Those that KNOW, knew bennie was showing tons of promise and expected this year two leap..crazy how much people talked shit all pffseason about this… Funny how Everypne fprgets all the crap they talked,..back when a few of us were trying to explain that bennie was balling and would grow into a beast…GUARENTEED we wouldn’t address NT TIL late in the draft… I had us drafting NT Deandre Coleman in the 7th and then signing Beau as an Undrafted free agent…I was close.
    ..,
    Glad to see fans now give bennie the credit he should have gotten last year… Shame a rookie had to hear a city bash him and talk shit about him, just because fans didn’t understand NT play..

70. 70 Avery Greene said at 3:27 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I was one of those people to be honest. Glad to be wrong. I thought he wasn’t a “traditional” NT and that they should have gone after Hageman or Nix in the draft. I think what I’ve learned from this team is to be patient and see how they develop. The coaches know more than me and I’m sure they saw some things in practice that led them to have that confidence.

71. 71 GEAGLE said at 9:59 AM on October 15th, 2014:

I’ll be pretty dissapointed if we don’t ATleast work out Terrell Pryor during this bye week.. Need to take advantage of the fact that the super athlete is ready to give up on his QB dreams… Even if he can’t contribute a lick this year… He is such a special size/speed combo athlete that I think it’s blowing a big opportunity to not invest into growing him into a WR…..Kid can grow into ourur Kelvin Benjamin if we get lucky. Big, strong, crazy speed, supreme athleticism.. Our offensive genius need to try and develop him.

If the kid can play ST it would be much easier to justify it… But it’s such a low risk, high reward… Really hope we pick him up…. It could amount to nothing, but that’s a cheap, swing for the fences investment worth making

72. 72 EagleNebula said at 10:52 AM on October 15th, 2014:

I wouldn’t be opposed to trying him this offseason but I see no advantage to getting someone who may grow into a WR right now. Who would you cut to make room on the roster for him? It seems like a very big depth risk to sign someone who you see as a developmental prospect especially if he won’t contribute to special teams.

73. 73 anon said at 11:32 AM on October 15th, 2014:

practice squad?

74. 74 xeynon said at 1:07 PM on October 15th, 2014:

The issue with that is that you want guys on the practice squad who can realistically simulate what opposing teams do in scout team work. No idea if Pryor would be able to do that effectively, but it’s not a purely developmental position.

75. 75 EagleNebula said at 2:08 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I think it is a moot point because according to a Seahawks blog when he was released, he is not practice squad eligible.

76. 76 GEAGLE said at 4:09 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Jeff maehl

77. 77 EagleNebula said at 4:32 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Aside from the depth question (I think Maehl provides greater depth this season), there is the question of Chip’s philosophy of making everyone earn their roster spot. You would be handing someone a spot who has done nothing at the position you are signing him. Bad precedent to set and one that is completely contrary to how he has run this organization. You don’t make exceptions to this rule.

78. 78 Bob Scatchard said at 12:07 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I think Pryer would also be nice to put in as a “wildcat” option on the “Third and 1 or 2 yards” that we seem to have trouble converting at times and he’d be fun to see on a zone read in the red zone…

79. 79 BC1968 said at 12:26 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Chip and “wildcat” don’t go together. That’s something you have to take up with him.

80. 80 iceberg584 said at 2:16 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Brad Smith disagrees with you.

81. 81 BC1968 said at 2:26 PM on October 15th, 2014:

What I mean is, he hates the word and doesn’t use it, even though it is what it is.

82. 82 BlindChow said at 4:33 PM on October 15th, 2014:

He calls it the “wildduck.”

83. 83 MaggieMagpie said at 7:28 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Was thinking “feral feline” but yours is better.

84. 84 Henly125 said at 4:56 PM on October 15th, 2014:

His combination of size and speed will probably land him somewhere sometime soon.. I don’t see the Eagles giving up a roster spot for a project at wideout. He also wouldn’t offer much on special teams.

He does have the potential to be a quality wideout, depending on his development of course. The position switch will surely benefit Pryor in the long run. He’d be perfect for the practice squad, if he’s eligible.

85. 85 GEAGLE said at 5:12 PM on October 15th, 2014:

It’s not like we have 11 awesome ST players… Half our roster is special teams animals.. IS IT really a problem if he can’t play Teams? I assume we wouldn’t dress him this year anyway..
    Who knows. Maybe a super athlete like him is a quality ST player…Brad Smifh could be a great mentor since he had to give up the QB position, become a WR/ST beast to make it in the NFL a

I wouldn’t want to make a habbit of adding developmental players like him…but this is a RARE Talent, SUPREME ATHLETE… To get a kid with his size/speed/athleticism combo, you would have to spend a first round pick..why not audition him this second half of the season..if he shows enough growth over the course of the year GREAT, if Not, so we lost Jeff Maehl….I’ll live lol

6’5 like 235lbs runs a sub 3.40…. We happen to have coaches who are proving to be great at developing Talent..cost us nothing but a roster spot to see what our coaches can do with a supreme athlete like him..

86. 86 xeynon said at 11:36 AM on October 15th, 2014:

Sad, sad day. I think Smith goes down alongside Doug Brzezinski, Harry Boatswain, and Scott Peters among the franchise’s all time great backup interior OL. My favorite memory will always be when he lined up at left guard on a Cody Parkey field goal attempt in the second quarter of the Colts game in week 2.

As for Vandevelde, at this point he should look into a second career as a horror movie villain. How many times has that guy’s career failed to be killed?

87. 87 ConcussedFB said at 2:54 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I think you just hurt Joe Conwell’s feelings leaving him off the OL list.

88. 88 D3FB said at 3:32 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Sadly the world of pop music just isn’t ready for a former backup offensive lineman to be the next tween heartthrob.

89. 89 BC1968 said at 12:24 PM on October 15th, 2014:

It’s not so bad having this two week break. Can get stuff done this weekend. Also, I can finally put my onsie Foles jammies in the laundry basket and put on my Spidey onsies til the 25th. Life is good.

90. 90 BC1968 said at 12:29 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Also, duh, keeping Foles under center instead of the shotgun was the best way to get the running game going. Can’t believe Chip would be stubborn about that sometimes, the holes open, bang! You’re right through it, instead of standing next to Foles, here you go, I don’t want it.

91. 91 CrackSammich said at 12:42 PM on October 15th, 2014:

That shotgun victory formation was against the Bucs, and only because Schiano historically had his defense knock over the OL. This doesn’t support your theory.

92. 92 BC1968 said at 12:50 PM on October 15th, 2014:

So they can’t hold because they knock the defense that’s been done a million times?

I meant Tampa does it, but when did it work? And how safe is it going back into the shotgun as opposed to just laying on the ball?

93. 93 CrackSammich said at 1:51 PM on October 15th, 2014:

The victory formation came about to stop end of game fumbles. There’s generally a guy back behind the QB to prevent anything crazy from happening should the snap go wrong, so the shotgun shouldn’t be an issue. But still, there’s no reason to think that they’ll ever do this again with Schiano out of the league.

Chip likes to run the offense out of the shotgun because the QB needs to be able to read defenders post snap in his packaged play system. I don’t believe that there’d be a significant difference in the way the plays are run from under center or out of the pistol. The only difference is the defense wouldn’t know where the run is going like they do out of the shotgun.

94. 94 BC1968 said at 2:24 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Yeah, but with these blockers that shotgun was getting bashed and guys were in the backfield as the ball was snapped. Don’t matter if they don’t know where you are going if there are 3 of them already back there waiting for you. The guy is quick, if they can get a hole, he can beat a bad offensive line, I don’t think Barry Sanders ever had a great line, maybe for a few years at the most, and people may not know or remember this, but Walter Payton started is career behind a terrible line. He found the holes, he also made them because he was so strong, as Barry was with those tree trunk legs.

Chip is a genius with the run, pass, everything, and I would never suggest he keep Foles up under center on the run in normal situations, but with this offense line? Also, I never, ever agree to run the ball from the 1, 2 yard line out of the shotgun, but I’m not a coach. But I’ve heard that a lot on here, and a lot of other places. The one or two yard line was made for smash it down the throat unless you’re finesse, I guess you can argue besides Peters, that they are. But Chip doesn’t believe that and has won 12 out of 14 games so what he’s doing is working with the healthy line. He’s a great at adjusting and he did it Sunday night. Also, the Giants weren’t even loading the box that game as much, which was strange.

95. 95 Bert's Bells said at 6:19 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Play action is almost much more effective from under center.

96. 96 BC1968 said at 1:13 PM on October 15th, 2014:

So I guess it’ll be Matthew Tucker covering for Sproles for the week(hopefully) that Darren’s out.

97. 97 Avery Greene said at 3:24 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I think a good sign was that he walked off with a slight limp. He’s a tough player and I think if they say it’s a sprain, he’ll be back either for the Texans or Carolina.

98. 98 BC1968 said at 1:40 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Class

99. 99 iceberg584 said at 2:15 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Yeah, and I really appreciate that after some of the slimy NY publications (NY Daily News in particular) tried to smear the Eagles organization and their fans in the wake of the Cruz injury, that the national (and local) media stood up for the fact that the players and fans acted with class throughout.

100. 100 BC1968 said at 2:28 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Dude, I heard Peter King stood up for us, I was in shock.

101. 101 Henly125 said at 7:09 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I completely agree. Trust me, dude.. And I live in NY; I have never been more disgusted in this city and its media. Just terrible.

102. 102 Anders said at 3:02 PM on October 15th, 2014:

For the draft guys here. This RB might be an option late in the draft, 5-11, 220 and a north-south runner

103. 103 Insomniac said at 5:52 PM on October 15th, 2014:

looks like a lesser version of Mike Davis.

104. 104 Anders said at 3:12 AM on October 16th, 2014:

True and I would like Davis, but think he might go too early.

105. 105 Buge Halls said at 3:15 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Sometimes the belly just needs to breathe!

106. 106 Stevo said at 4:39 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Because we haven’t been talking about DeSean enough lately, thought I’d share this article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/10/15/chris-cooley-says-desean-jackson-doesnt-try-to-block-anybody/

Still catching 50+ yard TDs though… same old DeSean that we knew and loved.

107. 107 Henly125 said at 7:07 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I’m glad to see he’s putting up some numbers, Even without his starting QB… No surprise there.

108. 108 GEAGLE said at 4:39 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Really appreciate Lurie coughing up the funds for the stadium renovations. He didn’t have to do that.. Since the game, I heard multiple Eagles like Vinny curry and boykin say that this was the loudest they had ever heard the Linc since they have been here.. Looks like keeping the noise in the stadium with the renovations is going to pay off…. It certainly effected eli and the midget offense

109. 109 ACViking said at 4:51 PM on October 15th, 2014:

Not clear that Laurie/Eagles paid for all the renovations.

The LINC is owned by the City of Philadelphia. Privately paid renovations to city property create a number of legal entanglements.

That said, some reports have the Eagles and NFL paying the costs.

Either way, privately paid improvements had to affect some sort of change in the revenue-sharing arrangement so the Eagles could recover their costs.

And the NFL, too.

Nothing’s for free with these folks.

110. 110 GEAGLE said at 5:02 PM on October 15th, 2014:

I don’t mean that LUrie took 10mil out of his personal account and said here go renovate the stadium, but I feel you…..wherever the money came from, they didn’t have to spend the money. It’s not like the stadium was falling apart. The noise level or lack there of in that place drove me crazy… Just appreciative to once again have a homefield advantage and be able to get loud enough to make life uncomfortable to opponents.. Which we have lacked since moved into the Linc….

Can’t compete with Jaguars stadium swing pool and cabanas
    …but we did manage to re-establish a homefield advantage. A year ago we couldn’t win a home game to save our lives

111. 111 unhinged said at 5:07 PM on October 15th, 2014: