Looking for Mr. Goodbar

Posted: January 27th, 2015 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 220 Comments »

Chip Kelly is still in search of Mr. Right.

That’s too bad. Fitterer is the guy I wanted.

Geoff Mosher posted an update last night.

Based on several conversations that took place last week in Mobile, Ala., at the Senior Bowl, industry sources believe Eagles executive Ed Marynowitz and Dolphins scout Chris Grier are the leading candidates to be coach Kelly’s personnel chief.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Sunday night that Chris Polian, the Jaguars’ director of pro personnel, recently completed a second interview for the Eagles’ opening.

Polian has interviewed for the position and is also considered a legitimate candidate but has not interviewed for a second time, according to an NFL source with direct knowledge of Polian’s status.

Polian had interviewed during the first week of January, which CSNPhilly.com first reported, but the Polian source insisted that Polian’s initial interview is the only time he has formally met with Kelly about the position.

Another source told CSNPhilly.com that he believes Grier is coming in for another interview with Kelly.

I heard that Marynowitz was not going to get the job. I don’t know if this is a concern about his age or experience, or if the Eagles simply feel they need an outsider. Losing Tom Gamble and Howie Roseman took a pair of veteran talent evaluators out of the mix. You don’t need a certain amount of guys in the Personnel Dept, but there is something to be said for having a certain amount of guys with good experience.

Stay tuned for more on the situation.

220 Comments on “Looking for Mr. Goodbar”

1. 1 Greg Richards said at 9:04 PM on January 27th, 2015:

So, if we’re not waiting on Fitterer, are we waiting on one of the Patriots guys?

Nick Caserio – Director of Player Personnel – Unlikely to make lateral move
    Michael Lombardi – Assistant to the Coaching Staff – Worked for Eagles way back in 1998, so Lurie is familiar with him. Yuck, IMO.
    Bob Quinn – Director of Pro Personnel – This is the guy that wouldn’t surprise me. Went to UConn and is from Massachusetts so it’s possible Chip and he crossed paths at some point. Has experience in both college and pro scouting. The Patriots have seemed to do well with free agent acquisitions and trades
    Monti Osserfort – Director of College Scouting – Experience all on college side, just promoted to current position in Jul of 2014

2. 2 laeagle said at 9:14 PM on January 27th, 2015:

The Patriots had complete command of the draft for a few years there thanks to smart trades and stockpiling of picks. They consistently had multiple first or second round picks. Which was great, except pretty much everyone they picked in that period was terrible outside maybe one or two players. Their “hit” percentage was atrocious.

At the end of the day, the best thing a team can emulate about the Patriots is “have Tom Brady”.

3. 3 laeagle said at 9:15 PM on January 27th, 2015:

Thanks Tommy. Thanks to your title, we can now have visions of Richard Gere jumping around in a speedo. Not a pretty vision.

4. 4 eagleyankfan said at 9:18 PM on January 27th, 2015:

sooner the better I’d imagine. the guy will have a lot of catching up to do…

5. 5 GEAGLE said at 10:16 PM on January 27th, 2015:

Two weeks ago I heard a bunch of people would be interviewed but in the end this job was going to Marynowitz… Tom heard the opposite…curious to see how it unfolds.

Personly I’m not foolish enough to think I know enough about each candidate to be able to care who ends up getting this job, jut not a big deal if u ask me. Chip will watch tape of ever player being considered and chip will personally decide which players will be added to this team. We will never see the GM add a PlAyer chip doesn’t want..GM needs to consolidate all the Intel from the scouts and make sure chip gets all te Intel he needs to make each decision.
    GM needs to be able to negotiate trades, but chip will sign off on each trade or it won’t go thru.
    GM needs to have a good grasp of the draft board and have a good idea who each team wants to help chip navigate the board on draft night
    GM should have a feel relationships with counterparts in other front offices.
    ….
    Since we have no clue which is the best candidate in these areas, foolish to try and pretend we can know who the best candidate available is when we don’t know enough about each candidate… Nothing to do but wait and see. Since I can’t pretend to know everything that we need to know to be able to offer a worthwhile opinion,,,

Fortunately, the GM won’t have the power and responsibility that typical GMs have so I can’t get Too upset or excited about who we hire…

This team will succeed or Fail solely on chips coaching and chips ability to evaluate talent..the GM we hire won’t be the reason we fail or succeed, so this search really isn’t a big deal to me. Not sure why people care, odds are we will never know if this new GM is doing an awesome job or not since he isn’t the one picking players so j don’t get why fans care so much.. But to each his own…

6. 6 anon said at 10:32 PM on January 27th, 2015:

All that sounds like Howie.

7. 7 cdlauro said at 2:02 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Yeah, but a Howie who will also listen. And who can throw in some football info.

8. 8 GEAGLE said at 9:10 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Howie will want more say than just doing chips grunt work……. Howie will want power to make decision, put his own stamp on things….. So we were gracious enough to give him control of all the,equipment managers lol….. If Howie was a Patriot, he would be the guy in charge of letting all the air out lol

9. 9 Matt Hoover said at 10:36 PM on January 27th, 2015:

The words smart football and Jeff Ireland never should be said together he was a complete mess in Miami

10. 10 Dominik said at 7:15 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Yes, but: the Dolphins actually drafted well. I heard something like there isn’t a team that drafted more players who are in the NFL right now than the Dolphins. Or close to that. The Seahawks actually hired Ireland to be a consultant in last years draft. Don’t think Carroll/Schneider would pay for an idiot to consult them.

11. 11 Matt Hoover said at 8:29 AM on January 28th, 2015:

He was dreadful in the 2nd round however.

12. 12 GEAGLE said at 9:21 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Jeff Ireland was the Jackass that traded a 2nd round pick to move up and draft OLB Dion Jordan who everyone knew didnt being in a 4-3, when the Donkey could have dafted Ziggy Ansah, the PERFECT 4-3 DE, fit for their scheme… Thanks to Ireland the Dolphins aren’t watching Ziggy Ansah and Cameron Wake flying off the edge demolishing QBs

So I cringe when Ireland’s “drafting” ability is praised

13. 13 Anders said at 9:28 AM on January 28th, 2015:

You do know it was only a 3rd? and Jordan was never drafted to be full time DE for them, he was drafted to be similar to Bruce Irvin or Von Miller, to play OLB (if you watch Jordan from his rookie year, he played everything from 3-4 DE to all 3 LB positions in a 4-3 front)

14. 14 teltschikfakeout88 said at 9:31 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Anders….your facts will only serve to confuse…..

15. 15 GEAGLE said at 9:34 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I dont give a shit if he got him for free…you pass on the PERFECT FIT who had as much of upside as Dion, but who was the perfect fit for what they do defensively?
    I could understand if Ziggy was a sure thing who didnt have as high of a ceiling as Dion…

Lol are you actually going to prend that you would be ok with the Eagles spending the 12th pick and a 3rd round pick on a guy that obviously wasn’t the best fit for what you do. And if that’s not bad enough, you pass on an equally talented PERFECT fit…. Are you really going to pretend that’s ok? Lol

16. 16 GEAGLE said at 9:35 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Sorry pal, you aren’t going to pretend you saw more of Dions rookie year than I did… Watched almost every NFL game Dion has played in, ATleast the defensive snaps

17. 17 Anders said at 9:48 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Then you apparently missed all of his snaps lining up at LB

18. 18 GEAGLE said at 9:52 AM on January 28th, 2015:

As if on numerous occassions you haven’t seen me praise Dion for defending Gronk better Than anyone I had ever seen…. I know you aren’t dumb enough to need me to explain that dion wasnt linnning up as a 4-3 DE when dropping into coverage to defend,Gronk…. I only talked about this 100 times since last year lol… Try again buddy…

19. 19 Anders said at 10:14 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Then I just guess we disagree what perfect use is for a lengthy LB with great coverage skills and so-so pass rushing skills.

Its a guy like Jordan you wants to have to cover Gronk and what I have seen of Jordan (only his rookie year), he wasnt used any differently than how we use Connor Barwin.

and do not expect me to remember half of what you write consider he I only read about 1/3 of your posts.

20. 20 GEAGLE said at 10:37 AM on January 28th, 2015:

They Jacked him up to play DE last year…reports were that he arrived at camp looking like someone attached an air pump to his body and pumped his muscles up, of course he failed a PED test afterwards…. They are fully intent on making him a DE, which will waste so much of his special ability in coverage…. If that’s what they want, he can they not be enticed by Vinny Curry who not only is the perfect fit, is still on a rookie deal, and unlike Dion he ismt in the drug program alrady, so the first time he fails a test he will only be suspended for 4 weeks, where as Dion will get a year long suspension which lowers his trade value….

Forget giving curry 80% of snaps, imagine how crazy his numbers could have been this year if he played 60% of snaps instead of 30%… Personally Curry is too good to lose for the POSSIBILITY of a compensatory pick assuming we don’t sign a bunch of fee agents next year weighing down the compensatory equation…
    if we don’t trade Dion this year, instead of losing him for nothing at the end of the year, I’d almost rather pay the expensive price tag, and franchise him for the 2016 season which we should enter as legit Super Bowl contenders… If we have to lose Vinny for Nothimg, let’s ATleast try to make. Legit SUPERBOWL run with him…

But edge rushers are very expensive and cost high draft picks, so if we are going to lose Curry and some team will get a quality young 4-3 DE, I would so much rather trade Vinny for a young edge rusher that fits here long term. if the great pass rusher we have now(Vinny) isnt a long term fit, then use him to get a edge rusher that can be here long term

21. 21 Dominik said at 9:34 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Dion Jordan was a mistake, no doubt about that. Doesn’t mean all he did was bad, though.

22. 22 GEAGLE said at 9:36 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Thats far from the only bonehead move on his resume……I Never thought people would be arguing with me to defend Jeff Ireland… Lol never in my wildest dreams. I guess I learn something new every day. I always viewed him as a hack, and was surprised he got the Dolphins job… But we can agree to disagree
    Then again. I could post that the sky is blue on this site and someone will respond arguing that the sky is Orange..

23. 23 D3FB said at 10:47 PM on January 27th, 2015:

The most interesting aspect to Grier for me would be Miami’s Analytics Department. When Hickey was hired to be their GM last year his first move was to establish an analytics department. I think that would certainly be something Chip would like to have, and Grier being a top lieutenant from Miami would likely have a good idea where to start.

24. 24 Greg Richards said at 10:59 PM on January 27th, 2015:

I’ve seen it reported that Howie was big on analytics and that rubbed some of the “football guys” the wrong way.

25. 25 D3FB said at 11:07 PM on January 27th, 2015:

Old school sports guys resisting change? That always works out for them.

26. 26 Mitchell said at 11:11 PM on January 27th, 2015:

O, you and your media clips!

27. 27 D3FB said at 11:21 PM on January 27th, 2015:

ppssssshhhhhhh

28. 28 Media Mike said at 4:45 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Yes, all of Oakland’s World Series titles certainly make analytics more important than scouting. There is certainly a place for made up stats, just secondary to actual play on the field.

29. 29 Avery Greene said at 8:30 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Yeah, the made up stats that put them in the playoffs the last 3 or 4 years without the bloated payroll of the AL East, Angels, or other high value teams.

Considering that they are a good team and can’t hold on to the talent they groom they do a good job.

This is the 28th ranked team in terms of valuation. They play in a crappy baseball park with barely any revenue except the league sharing revenue.

No one said analytics is more important that scouting. Analytics is a tool to help the front office. In the A’s case it’s an important tool that keeps that team relevant. As with any job, you use all the tools at your disposal to do your job as best as possible.

30. 30 CrackSammich said at 8:57 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Scouting feeds the statistics.

“Made up”? Really?

31. 31 EAGLES said at 9:41 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Zzzzinnnnngggggg!

32. 32 D3FB said at 11:48 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Sure but Oakland is dealing with such a different level of handicap to try and compete. I think the fact that the only teams that haven’t embraced Sabermetrics to win the series in the last decade are the Yankees and Phillies is a resounding win for SABR.

33. 33 xeynon said at 1:22 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Ruben Amaro is all about traditional scouting and similarly dismissive of analytics. Who would you rather have running your baseball team, Billy Beane or him?

34. 34 bill said at 8:41 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I’m probably just weird, but the most interesting point in that movie was when they took the guy who didn’t seem to care about losing and shipped him off immediately to the dungeon…errr… Philadelphia Phillies.

The analytics were a part of the equation. But so was culture.

35. 35 anon said at 11:17 PM on January 27th, 2015:

Could make sense. I remember reading a story that howie had a protege from Harvard or something that was like an advanced stats guru — moneyball guys.

36. 36 Mitchell said at 11:05 PM on January 27th, 2015:

Most of the guys selected in and after the 4th don’t have a super good chance of starting correct? It makes sense then to take fliers on guys who played super well on a smaller stage and see if they can make that transition. The reward/risk ratio is super high, might as well go for it.

37. 37 GEAGLE said at 9:13 AM on January 28th, 2015:

For example, in the NBA all the franchise Are starting to make players wear the sleep and heart monitors that chip uses.. In the NBA it falls under the advance analytic movement of the NBA, where as sixer coach bRett Brown refers to it as “sports science”
    I assume there is some analytic stuff that we can still add, but a lot of what chip calls sports science” falls under the sports analytic wave thats trying to invade pro sports

38. 38 mksp said at 10:05 AM on January 28th, 2015:

“We already have an analytic department…a lot of it falls under our sports science…”

Link?

Or is this more unfounded speculation from you? You know where my money is.

39. 39 Avery Greene said at 10:19 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I’m not sure what department this falls under now that Howie is not the GM, but I can’t see Chip getting rid of this guy. He wants every avenue explored to get better.

This is all I could find.

40. 40 D3FB said at 12:02 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I wouldn’t count in house bio-monitoring as analytics. Particularly not in regard to the front office acquiring outside talent.

I heard Chip reads the nutrition info on the back of his cereal boxes every morning, so I guess that means we have “analytics”.

41. 41 mksp said at 1:58 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I agree 100%.

42. 42 EaglesD3rdandwrong said at 2:00 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I only see u post to rip other ppl, myself included. There is a hide comment button u know 🙂

Cant we all just get along and rip the Cowgirls?lol

43. 43 mksp said at 2:14 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Not true!

Just GEAGLE. And I mostly just call him out on his BS, like when he pretends to know how the Eagles are structured or that he has sources.

I find condescending, pompous and obnoxious liars extremely aggravating.

You’re cool though.

44. 44 EaglesD3rdandwrong said at 2:26 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Thanks, I like Geagles take on things. He obviously bleeds green and U as well posting on here everyday. You two are like I imagine Chip and Howie are lmao.

There are plenty of enemy pompous,obnoxious, condescending Cowboy/Redskin/Giant fans that deserve your wrath lol.

45. 45 Greg Richards said at 11:10 PM on January 27th, 2015:

Eagles’ WRs coach Bob Bicknell reportedly a candidate for 49ers’ OC.

46. 46 anon said at 11:14 PM on January 27th, 2015:

Not worth staying now that Djacc isn’t yelling at him anymore?

47. 47 Matt Hoover said at 11:25 PM on January 27th, 2015:

Not a huge loss if it happens

48. 48 Dominik said at 7:22 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Poor 49ers fans (only the fans, not the franchise as a whole). That happens if you have a bad owner. Have a rookie HC who comes from the defensive side and they can’t find a veteran former HC/Coord. who takes over the Offense? Congrats, it did really work well for you guys to let a Top 5 HC walk, didn’t it?

49. 49 GEAGLE said at 9:14 AM on January 28th, 2015:

He thinks the WORLD of Riley Cooper, I can do without his”expertise” lol

50. 50 Avery Greene said at 9:19 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Hey they can have him. I just checked and Kenny Chesney has a concert in Santa Clara, right next to the stadium.

Yes, I couldn’t resist. You pretty much teed that up for me.

51. 51 GEAGLE said at 10:24 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Lol… Alley oop

52. 52 oreofestar said at 9:29 AM on January 28th, 2015:

can Desean come back now?

53. 53 Ferris Wren said at 12:32 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I wonder if Fitterer, Ballard, Gaine, Robinson and other candidates are gun shy about Lurie.

Can’t be good in their eyes that in such a short time the owner backed Howie and was even surprised that anyone could ask if he was coming back next year. Then he must have approved the Gamble firing and then he “promotes/fires” Howie and gives Chip full personnel control. Howie still being around may also be a negative to good candidates and is unlikely to work out well for the organization.

None of this was well managed and it clearly wasn’t planned at all. Seems like there must have been an ultimatum from Chip. All of it reflects poorly on Lurie. He needs to have a better sense of what is going on between his key people.

54. 54 anon said at 2:03 AM on January 28th, 2015:

It’s not that crazy — this has played out with the 49ers and the Broncos this year. Change there is that the GM won and the coach was fired, so — clean slate.

Howie is a decent contract guy so hard to justify canning him considering that we’re consistently well under the cap. But if you let chip go he’s got a job tomorrow at any organization with a vacancy. I think the problem is that the job isn’t a promotion for any of these guys. They’d be a slave with two masters.

55. 55 eagleyankfan said at 8:04 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Agree with the last sentence. Has nothing to do with that other fluff. If the job had the actual title of ‘GM’, I’d imagine those people would be lined up…

56. 56 Mr. Magee said at 1:02 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Good points and I agree, EXCEPT…

* As Ferris says above, it should never have gotten to this point (that’s on Lurie).
    * Caving to an ultimatum (if that’s what actually happened) – was unnecessary. Would have been “immature” and unwise of Chip to walk, and ultimately I think he would have succumbed to this realization. Plus, Lurie had other options for addressing any organizational shortcomings which may have been brought to his attention.

Hard to conclude that Lurie is a strong CEO at this point, based on available info. Chip has filled a power vacuum and now defines the Eagles org, much to the delight of the fan base; we are left to hope that he is up to the task.

57. 57 ICDogg said at 1:41 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I always felt that Lurie is not a strong CEO. And not sure it matters that much, as long as someone is clearly in charge.

58. 58 EaglesD3rdandwrong said at 2:02 PM on January 28th, 2015:

He is the Anti Jerry imo.

Don’t know how to run an org? Hire someone who does and hold them accountable. I think Lurie is the best owner not to have a SB. We need that to change

59. 59 Ferris Wren said at 7:11 PM on January 28th, 2015:

The difference is that the 49ers & Broncos owners/executives weren’t blindsided by the coach.

60. 60 GEAGLE said at 9:24 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Everyone praises Lurie as this beacon of Stability, but truth is since the year 2000 he has allowed a handful of power struggles to unfold under his roof. As an owner he could have shut them down at any point…. I can understand a power struggle or two in a 15yr span, but 4-5 power struggles in 15 years isnt my best definition of stability..
    Still Lurie is one of the better owners in the NFL, just pointing out an aspect that never gets talked about

61. 61 Anders said at 9:26 AM on January 28th, 2015:

How many of those “power struggle” has been a problem? Every big succesful company has these power struggles.

62. 62 GEAGLE said at 9:29 AM on January 28th, 2015:

We,have no way of knowing….we haven’t won a Super Bowl in the last 15 years, so while if it wasn’t a problem, it sure as hell didn’t help…ATleast not enough!!!

I’m not bashing jeffry Lurie, how do you bash Lurie when he is one of the NFLs better owners? Just pointing out a piece of the puzzle that is usually overlooked

63. 63 Mr. Magee said at 1:17 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Good point… (And see my comment(s) above, if you’re interested).

We sometimes forget that most owners (not all) act as CEOs, in addition to being investors. They are drawn to the opportunity to be “involved,” and therefore take on varying degrees of managerial responsibility; not many opt for a chairman type of role that takes them out of the spotlight. That does not mean that they are necessarily well-suited to the tasks for which they’ve assigned themselves, however!

64. 64 Anders said at 1:54 PM on January 28th, 2015:

you mean most of these owners there made millions and even billions by been CEOs of other companies?

65. 65 Mr. Magee said at 12:38 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Well said… I’ve said the same thing for weeks, but not as succinctly.

66. 66 xeynon said at 1:27 PM on January 28th, 2015:

It’s equally likely they are gun shy about Chip Kelly. The parameters of this job are pretty clear – you won’t have much power and won’t get much credit if the team drafts well, because everyone will assume Kelly is calling the shots. Conversely, if the team drafts poorly, you’re first in line to be the fall guy. That is not a particularly attractive combo.

67. 67 Ferris Wren said at 5:23 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Yes, absolutely. Just doesn’t help that Lurie is not as close to the dynamics of his staff as he needs to be.

68. 68 anon said at 2:29 AM on January 28th, 2015:

We discount PFF stats (maybe rightly so) but they have JP as the best Tackle in Football, LJ graded 13th best in football. No one else was graded, which i guess explains why we saw so much pressure up the middle this year [or maybe tackles fared better b/c defenses focused on exploiting weak interior lineman].

69. 69 Media Mike said at 4:46 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I don’t need PFT’s invented (and paywalled) voodoo to know that Mathis and Kelce were less than great all year (due to injury) and that Herremans is on the downside of his career.

70. 70 GermanEagle said at 5:33 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Agree. People seemed to be offended when I mentioned that Herremans may be cut. As much as I like him, but he’s sadly now the weakest link in our starting line. He should be upgraded or at least be challenged in the off season.

71. 71 EaglesD3rdandwrong said at 2:05 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I thought Peters had kind of a down year. Maybe it was few games but he seemed to have more trouble than the last few years. Seem to remember a bunch of Flase starts from JP

72. 72 bill said at 2:17 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I agree that Peters didn’t have as dominant a year as he has had in the past, but it’s still quite possible that he was the best LT in the business, because he was just SO dominant before. Perhaps the greatest compliment you can give regarding his prior performance is that 2014 was a down year for him. His problems were pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. The only concern I have is that at his age/size, the decline could foreshadow an oncoming drop off a cliff for 2015.

73. 73 EaglesD3rdandwrong said at 2:22 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I think the whole team had a down year going 10-6 missing play offs.

I love how NOBODY was excited or even cared when we destroyed the Titans. Whole Eagles org was like “Meh”

74. 74 anon said at 4:35 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I usually dont’ watch tackles play when i’m watching the game but when you watch him it’s just cake. It looks too easy — like he’s going mr. myagi on em.

75. 75 Avery Greene said at 8:16 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I’ve seen how money can make people change their minds. After the Superbowl, there is always a possibility that Fitterer changes his mind. Chip did the same thing.

I also think it’s interesting that he said he talked to the eagles on the DL, which makes me think that there may be other people in play (read: Patriot’s staff) for this position.

76. 76 Avery Greene said at 8:20 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Some more random thoughts on MM.

All this trade talk, it seems to me that if Chip really wants MM, then the Eagles instantly become a rebuild project. MM hasn’t faced NFL defenses and his first two years (possibly 3 &4 too) will be a bumpy ride. Yes it’s possible that a rookie can win the superbowl, but the Eagles are still missing other pieces around him on both sides of the ball to compete.

If it’s a rebuild, it will suck for a couple years. I doubt that’s what Chip wants, because I get the sense he wants to win every game. So Foles is the guy whether anyone likes it or not.

*picks bottle up and chugs tequila*
    Or unless Chip with his magical persuasion skills can convince GB to part with Aaron Rodgers for two 4th rounders.
    *chugs again and replaces bottle*

77. 77 ian_no_2 said at 8:52 AM on January 28th, 2015:

There’s often the risk of magnifying lessons from Philly sports, but if you did a intra-sport national study I think it would find that in-house promotions at GM turn out much worse than going outside the org, with a few exceptions. Being a good GM and having the important people in the office like you are two different things. That said, I ‘like’ Marynowitz; I think he deserves a shot somewhere, but I return to the original point..

78. 78 GermanEagle said at 9:11 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Have a Break. Have a KitKat.

[in response to the article’s title]

79. 79 ICDogg said at 9:21 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I have to say, the movie this title references is one I haven’t seen since the 80s and it was old then.

80. 80 Avery Greene said at 9:25 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I had to look this up. This came out a year after I was born, and considering how conservative my family is about stuff – I see why. LOL.

Diane Keaton, Richard Gere, Tom Berenger, and Levar Burton. How have I never heard of this movie?

81. 81 ICDogg said at 9:37 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I never see it replayed.

82. 82 teltschikfakeout88 said at 9:37 AM on January 28th, 2015:

The movie was based upon a book of the same name published in 73…..

83. 83 ICDogg said at 9:39 AM on January 28th, 2015:

And in turn was based on the murder of a schoolteacher.

84. 84 teltschikfakeout88 said at 9:58 AM on January 28th, 2015:

This comment is partially correct….the murder was the ending of the book….most of the book and movie centered around the main character’s penchant for sexual exploration….the stories of these casual sex encounters ultimately lead up to her murder….generally a story like this where one engages in self destructive behavior knowingly ends on a happier note of self realization that this behavior is just not right….in this case the real life story ended in tragedy before getting to the happy ending that we generally expect….

85. 85 ICDogg said at 11:46 AM on January 28th, 2015:

It was based on the stories that came out as a result of the murder, is what I was trying to say.

The actual killer was in jail and told the guards he was going to kill himself, and the guards offered him some extra bed sheets to do it with. The guy committed suicide with those bed sheets, another case that wound up getting into the news.

86. 86 Cafone said at 1:56 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Oh, I had heard of it but always assumed it was a romantic comedy.

87. 87 ICDogg said at 6:42 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Yeah, based on that title and some of the cast I could see that you would think so. I don’t know what to call its genre… it’s kind of an erotic drama / psychological thriller, I guess, meant to show the dark side of the “sexual revolution” in the late 60s/early 70s.

88. 88 RobNE said at 9:29 AM on January 28th, 2015:

the Pats ball boy just bought a $5M house in Wellesley, all cash.

89. 89 oreofestar said at 9:31 AM on January 28th, 2015:

??

90. 90 ICDogg said at 9:33 AM on January 28th, 2015:

He’s joking

91. 91 oreofestar said at 9:33 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I got that but did something new happen then made him make that joke?

92. 92 RobNE said at 9:35 AM on January 28th, 2015:

No I just woke up had coffee and needed to take a swing at the Pats.

93. 93 Avery Greene said at 9:36 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I’m in the wrong business.

94. 94 GEAGLE said at 9:41 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I know you are joking, but two years from now, bet you he is sitting pretty.

TODAY the guy who was video taping the illegal spy gate tapes is living in an expensive house in Hawaii.. Fron video guy of the Pariots to the good life in Hawaii? I’m just SAYIN… Lol

95. 95 RobNE said at 9:42 AM on January 28th, 2015:

you got a link about that video guy? do they explain how he came to afford that?

let’s pay him a visit and ask him some questions.

96. 96 GEAGLE said at 9:50 AM on January 28th, 2015:

no sorry… Heard that report on MIke and Mike radio…..

I really hope someone keeps track of this deflate gate ball boy for the next few years. Curious to see if there will be a significant step up in quality of life that inexplicably happen pens out of the blue a year from now lol
    ..l
    Craft to me sounded like a man who was confident that all the evidence has been suppressed. and that he got all his Ducks in a row so that the allegations can never be proved… That bogus press conference he had, demanding Appologies from the NFL Blah blah blah…. Sounded to me like a man who is confident they won’t be able to prove this

97. 97 RobNE said at 12:57 PM on January 28th, 2015:

you are talking about Matt Walsh who is an asst golf pro in Hawaii. But he had been fired already, he wasn’t the guy caught.

98. 98 GEAGLE said at 10:20 AM on January 28th, 2015:

It’s Weds and I haven’t heard a peep about the SB matchups… Some interesting match ups in this game:

Kind of weird to see Elite secondaries against maybe the most average group of WR in Super Bowl history…. Not expecting big game from the Wrs..which make some other matchups really important.. For starters, teams that do well against Seattle have a strong run game and are good in the short passing game, Patriots fit that bill. But Seattle is very stingy when giving up YAC yards… Backs and TEs have to step up in passing game… Interesting matchups:

1) the JJ Watt of DB’s, Kam Chanceller vs. The beast known as Gronk. Gronk will try to run him over, Kam will try and knock him into next week….. SHOULD be a juicy matchup

2)’JamiemCollins defending BEASTMODE out of the backfield, Lync is under rated pass catchers and with WRs on lock down, they are going to have to look for Lynch in the passing game, Jamie Collins is a spectacular athlete who should be able to put up a fight against Lynch…
    3) Earl Thoas vs. Shane Vereen who the pats love to throw to….

4) Bellicek vs, Pete, battle of trickery…. Both coaches had to show some BIG BALLS needing to call risky trick plays at key moments to get this far… Which defense will get burnt worse by the trickery?

5) Chandler Jones vs. Okung who playedi injured for most of the seasn.
    6) Max Unger who battled injuries has his hands full with Wilfork…

7) Blount and Lynch vs. Two tough front 7smfocused on stopping the run, not having to worry bout the opponents WR’s
    ….
    Should be a really good Super Bowl, much better than last years crap… Assume a close 24,23- 20 type game, seattle wins..

99. 99 bill said at 11:00 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I could see this being a *really* low scoring game. Brady’s going to amazingly have accuracy problems with the ball seeming to slip from his hand often, and the LOB is going to plaster those receivers. Could see 3 or 4 picks.

Conversely, as much I think he’s emblematic of the problems of an ethics-free culture, Belicheat is a good defensive coordinator. He’s going to force Wilson to beat him from the pocket, and so far, Wilson’s really struggled when forced to do that (See last week against GB and last year’s playoff game vs NO). Maybe this is his breakout game in that respect, but I wouldn’t count on it yet. The Patriots’ defensive backfield will make life miserable for Wilson.

The keys will be: 1. Referees – if they start correctly calling defensive holding and interference calls on the LOB, things could open up quite a bit for the Patriots; 2. Pick 6s, if Brady tosses one or more of those, that might turn the game into a rout early; 3. STs will play a big role, but I have no clue who to predict will be the winner in that phase; and 4. Beastmode can just take over games, no matter how many guys the opposing D puts in the box, ’cause he’ll just run over them. If he does that, it’s going to be hard for the Patriots to win.

100. 100 RobNE said at 12:20 PM on January 28th, 2015:

it’s BS that now the refs will start calling all the penalties against the Seahawks.

101. 101 GermanEagle said at 10:40 AM on January 28th, 2015:

I’m only interested in Michael Lombardi if he brings his trophy along to Philly…

102. 102 Cafone said at 11:11 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Sooo…. The Patriots have been cheating since 2007 when the rule was changed to allow teams to supervise their own balls:

103. 103 Avery Greene said at 11:40 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Good find.

104. 104 Anders said at 12:19 PM on January 28th, 2015:

The sharp thing is pure crap and the other say nothing about cheating, just that they have better ball security then all but 2 teams.

One of the reason the Eagles is so bad is because the Eagles QBs like Foles and Vick has extreme high fumble rates

105. 105 botto said at 12:50 PM on January 28th, 2015:

the eagles obviously over inflate the balls before games by accident. or the weather in the tunnel makes something happen to them or keeping them in the fridge with the smoothies doesn’t seems to help…. it wasn’t Vicks fault, the stupid balls have too much air

106. 106 Mr. Toledo said at 1:01 PM on January 28th, 2015:

haha of course we are last….

107. 107 Tdoteaglefan said at 1:13 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Those McNnabb wormburners make so much sense now. Who would’ve thought we were just one elite equipment manager away from a superbowl

108. 108 Jernst said at 6:51 PM on January 28th, 2015:

see…howies new job title of overseeing the equipment staff doesn’t sound so insignificant any more…

109. 109 Cafone said at 1:48 PM on January 28th, 2015:

That Deadspin article is crap written by a Patriots fan.

110. 110 Anders said at 1:52 PM on January 28th, 2015:

no its not, the sharp article is rape on proper statistical analyze

111. 111 Cafone said at 2:00 PM on January 28th, 2015:

It’s obviously biased, and it makes several of the same mistakes that it claims the original articles make.

It is written by someone from the University of Connecticut, you know, in New England.

And it is on Deadspin, probably the first place to go for a Miley Cyrus crotch shot, but not so much for statistical analysis.

112. 112 CrackSammich said at 2:15 PM on January 28th, 2015:

“…Makes several of the same mistakes that it claims the original make.”

That’s kind of the point. A lot of that article was dedicated to showing how stats can be presented in different ways to show whatever point you’re trying to make.

113. 113 Anders said at 3:37 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Deadspin is also one of the best places to go if you want people to filter out the bull shit.

114. 114 Mr. Magee said at 1:28 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Fascinating! Great job. Would be interesting to see what NE fumble stats look like over time… Speaking of which, any reason you decided to start with 2010, instead of 2007 when the rule changed?

115. 115 Cafone said at 1:47 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I just pasted the graph from one of the articles.

116. 116 ACViking said at 1:53 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Lies.

Damn Lies.

Statistics.

Stats are not facts.
    _______________

In other words, the truth about whether the Pats’ ball-boys routinely deflated footballs at home games — after the refs approved their PSI — remains unproven.

The other problem here . . .

For road games, the VISITING TEAM’s ball boys control the footballs after the Refs check the PSI.

We have no idea what the data for road games looks like.

117. 117 Cafone said at 2:04 PM on January 28th, 2015:

The Patriots have been caught cheating more often than Bill Cosby has been accused of rape.

118. 118 RobNE said at 2:06 PM on January 28th, 2015:

doesn’t mean they don’t cheat or he doesn’t rape

119. 119 SteveH said at 2:05 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I’ll agree that a lot of this remains unproven, but I’ll also put it out there that the circumstantial evidence looks interesting to say the least. If the NFL puts the screws to their “person of interest” the whole thing could blow up big time if he squeals.

Look, we all know the Patriots are cheating, even if we can’t prove it in a court of law. It’s the scorpion and the frog. It’s just in their nature.

120. 120 SteveH said at 2:08 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Stats are interesting, and could give a clue that something might be going on, but it’s not proof.

What I would do is go around to some former NFLers who I trusted to tell the truth about things and ask them: Are you less likely to fumble an under-inflated ball? Because I honestly don’t know the answer to that, but I bet former (and current) players might.

If the answer to that was yes, and then you paired that information with the statistics, then I think you have a much more compelling case.

121. 121 RobNE said at 2:13 PM on January 28th, 2015:

the answer to that is yes. It’s in the articles about deflategate.

no one is offering this as proof. We would all love proof.

122. 122 SteveH said at 2:19 PM on January 28th, 2015:

So underinflated balls are less likely to be fumbled, the Patriots were caught with underinflated balls, the Patriots have historically fumbled the ball less over the past few years, the Patriots coach went on television and completely invented out of the ether a completely untrue scientific “fact” to try and explain why the balls were underinflated, their owner recently went on TV acting in an extremely defensive manner (indicating fear), their quarterback went on national TV and managed to look all the world like a schoolboy who got caught doing something wrong, the NFL has already identified a “person of interest” regarding the situation.

I can smell the smoke, but will they find the fire? I expect we won’t know until some time after the super bowl.

123. 123 RobNE said at 2:29 PM on January 28th, 2015:

they may not. People lie. There was no camera in the bathroom.

124. 124 D3FB said at 2:31 PM on January 28th, 2015:

That’s a whole different kind of scandal.

125. 125 SteveH said at 2:34 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Yep. Who know’s what will come of it. But with Brady and Belichick slinging lies around like crazy they are trying to hide something. It might be something small and stupid and pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things, or maybe it’s something much bigger, who knows. I’m pretty curious to find out though.

126. 126 MagOvertheRainbow said at 8:34 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Something much bigger, Like a **pattern** of questionable behaviour by said Head Coach and other team employees.

127. 127 GEAGLE said at 11:43 AM on January 28th, 2015:

Colts signed Chris craters kid. Don’t get all the hooplah over a CFL player who isn’t even a lock to make a 53 man roster.

Richard Sherman has torn ligaments in his elbow

Lol beast mode talked to avoid a fine yesterday, but he wore his own beast ode hat that he sells on his website and NFL rules say you can’t promote or wear anything you personally sell during media day lol… If the NFL can’t make a dime off you its illegal

“If a nickel bag of weed gets sold in the Park, I WANT IN!!”- Roger Goodell, lol I mean Frank white lol

128. 128 RobNE said at 12:18 PM on January 28th, 2015:

so is Sherman playing?

will he be effective?

129. 129 ACViking said at 1:49 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Sherman has an elbow strain (i.e., torn ligaments).

Seattle plays lots of press man.

New England likes to split Gronkowski out wide from time to time.

Sherman v. Gronk . . . .

130. 130 MagOvertheRainbow said at 8:32 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Hyperextended, worrisome ligaments versus frequently broken forearm. I’ll take Sherman any day. He is much faster.

131. 131 GEAGLE said at 4:18 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Yup yup… Hasn’t missed a pracice

132. 132 Tdoteaglefan said at 1:03 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Upvote for the frank white quote

133. 133 Greg Richards said at 12:28 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Eagles are blocking the 49ers from interviewing Bicknell.

134. 134 RobNE said at 12:58 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I’m fine with this. If teams will block us from finding a GM, the 49ers can just move along.

135. 135 Joe Minx said at 1:47 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I think they wanted him to bring some Chip Kelly Magic™ for Kaep. Not good to have a potential NFC rival with that; the other 2 were in the AFC. Good move by us.

136. 136 ACViking said at 1:47 PM on January 28th, 2015:

This announcement may reflect Bicknell’s preference, not the Eagles’.

Kelly’s not blocked any other assistant coach from leaving.

Nor would I expect him, too, given where he started and where’s reached in just a few years.

137. 137 D3FB said at 2:01 PM on January 28th, 2015:

“***UPDATE*** CSN Philly, citing two sources, reported that Bicknell
    has decided to remain in Philadelphia as that team’s wide receivers
    coach.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article8447919.html#storylink=cpy

138. 138 ACViking said at 2:06 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I didn’t think Kelly would block Bicknell if he wanted a promotion.

Just wouldn’t be consistent with whom Kelly seems to be and how he’s done things so far (not to mention, how he himself has benefited from his employers letting him move up the ladder).

139. 139 D3FB said at 2:08 PM on January 28th, 2015:

“Kelly said if one of his current assistants has an opportunity to leave for another job, he won’t block him.”

140. 140 ACViking said at 2:11 PM on January 28th, 2015:

thanks for the link.

141. 141 anon said at 4:31 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I don’t think the 49ers are a real team this year. I can understand why people would be reluctant to go there.

142. 142 D3FB said at 11:33 PM on January 28th, 2015:

There are rumors Baalke is looking for a golden parachute out. That whole situation feels like week 10 everyone is getting fired.

143. 143 Dave said at 1:14 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I think Roseman gets the boot probably after the draft. I know Lurie likes him, but no way this works long term. He is probably expected to work with the new GM signing some of the young guys to long term deals, cutting older players and restructuring contracts(if that becomes necessary), and working with the new GM on contracts with whoever they bring in Via free agency. After that they lock him in a closet until after the draft because you know he would just love to screw up the Draft for the Eagles.

I wouldn’t be shocked if all the news about the Eagles and the draft was coming from Roseman. He strikes me as the type of guy who holds a grudge and will be trying to stab the Eagles in the back at every turn.
    If the Eagles actually wanted Ed Marynowitz, Chris Grier, or Polian I would think it would already be a done deal. These guys are all fallback options, Chip I would bet has someone else in mind and maybe he is just trying to convince him.

I also wouldn’t be shocked now that Arizona has fallen through if maybe they offer a defensive job to Dick Lebeau, maybe something right under Bill Davis it would be a good way to get a boost out of the 3-4.

144. 144 A Roy said at 1:23 PM on January 28th, 2015:

You must work for NJ.com…

145. 145 Dave said at 1:37 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Far from it I live in NC

146. 146 Cafone said at 1:51 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Roseman just got a contract extension. I doubt Lurie is going to want to buy that out. They guy is rich, but he isn’t going to just throw money out the window.

147. 147 ACViking said at 2:09 PM on January 28th, 2015:

You may be right.

But we have no idea if the contract has a termination clause and, if so, what it says.

For example, maybe it’s as simple as 90 days notice from either side for termination of the contract without cause. Or immediately if termination with cause.

Generally speaking, employment contracts have termination clauses. I don’t see why Roseman’s would not.

148. 148 RobNE said at 2:14 PM on January 28th, 2015:

but they extended the contract a few years right? that would be really, really abnormal to extend a contract but have a 90 day out no-cause provision. I know you are saying we don’t know, but your example to me is very unlikely.

149. 149 ACViking said at 2:22 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Teams, big corporations, little companies . . .

Doesn’t matter.

Contracts get extended all the time.

But termination clauses routinely are included.

If for no other reason than to protect against the unpredictable, and not to tie the hands of future owners.

150. 150 D3FB said at 2:15 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Still would be a weird thing to publicly announce him being “promoted” and extended, then wait til the dead part of the calender to fire him.

Would make more sense to just take him out back behind the woodshed immediately.

Plus if you fire him in the summer, you have about 14 weeks of a couple of minicamps, and nothing else. You think the media is bored now? They still have the draft and all the intrigue that comes with that. You’d be talking about 3 whole months of speculation and intrigue stories about your departed GM.

151. 151 ACViking said at 2:20 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Coach:

I didn’t mean to suggest Roseman would or may be cut loose.

My comment was strictly directed at noting that in the real world of huge personal-services agreements (and not so huge), there’s usually an “out” clause of some kind.

I should have been more clear.

152. 152 D3FB said at 2:20 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Lawyer-nerd.

153. 153 ACViking said at 2:20 PM on January 28th, 2015:

That’s a bingo

154. 154 mksp said at 3:58 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Christoph Waltz would make an excellent GM if you ask me.

155. 155 Greg Richards said at 5:24 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Out clauses exist but aren’t typical in contracts of GMs. If you recall, one of the reasons given when Modrak was fired is that he insisted on the insertion of an out clause in his contract.

156. 156 Bert's Bells said at 4:42 PM on January 28th, 2015:

GMs and coaches in the NFL have guaranteed contracts (excepting cause, of course). Probably something their agents insisted on so it’s become standard.

Howie’s deal might be guaranteed as if he were still GM. No way for us to know.

157. 157 D3FB said at 1:54 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Lebeau is going to TEN

158. 158 D3FB said at 2:00 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Why would he love to screw up the draft for the Eagles? Because you don’t like him and he lost control over personnel? So despite the fact he still works for the organization for 7 figures he would go on a petty sabotage streak? Yeah, ok.

Also all these draft leaks are presumed to be Gamble. The distributor is oftentimes Mark Eckel, and just reeks of Gamble, by the phrasing and language he uses.

159. 159 CrackSammich said at 2:18 PM on January 28th, 2015:

You should look into screen writing. Your football analysis is a little cloak and dagger for my tastes, though.

160. 160 Greg Richards said at 5:22 PM on January 28th, 2015:

As part of his promotion or “promotion” depending on your point of view, Roseman received a contract extension through 2020 starting at $1.7M a year. Typically with coaches and front-office types, that is guaranteed money unless the owner can prove he was fired “with cause.” That’s more than $10M. Lurie isn’t just taking that type of financial loss. If Roseman leaves, it will be his choice to do so.

161. 161 MagOvertheRainbow said at 8:28 PM on January 28th, 2015:

A very good way to never get a job anywhere else. Show yourself to be untrustworthy and a liar.

162. 162 SteveH said at 2:13 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Interesting thought about the Patriots that isn’t related to deflate-gate: They are the only team I can think of in the NFL who can consistently make up for bad drafting by gobbling up every random FA on the market. Most teams who try to cobble together rosters with lots of FA’s fail miserably (we know about that first hand).

163. 163 ACViking said at 2:17 PM on January 28th, 2015:

“I have absolutely no idea why this would be true, unless you subscribe to the theory that Belichick is some kind of wizard who can incorporate players seamlessly into his scheme within weeks of acquiring them.”
    ____________

Occam’s Razor.

164. 164 D3FB said at 2:20 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Well done, this may be my favorite comment of the year thus far.

165. 165 SteveH said at 2:26 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Interesting thing about Occam’s razor: Just because it predicts what might be the most likely solution does not mean that it always predicts the correct solution.

Though I do admit that it’s possible Belichick is just that good.

166. 166 Bert's Bells said at 4:39 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Aliens!

167. 167 Ark87 said at 7:32 PM on January 28th, 2015:

It’s been an immensely popular view around these parts that the patriots are garbage at drafting players and it’s a bit over-stated. They haven’t been as successful say the Ravens or more recently the Seahawks, but they’ve had their share of hits. Simply put, they draft a ton of players, most simply have to wash out because of roster limitations, and they are pretty cold blooded about letting the players they draft go when contracts expire and letting their mild hits leave because they love draft picks (he’s accrued 25(!) compensatory picks in his time with the Patriots) more than any other team in the league (and need the roster space). I think living under the shadow of Brady and Belichick along with the “Patriot way”, has given the Patriots players an anonymity that allows fans to underestimate the talent that is laced through that roster. Especially measured in the depth and versatility of it.

168. 168 MagOvertheRainbow said at 8:26 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Actually the Sea Hawks have moved almost 300 players through their doors in the last 4 years. They couldn’t have drafted all of them.

169. 169 Ark87 said at 8:31 PM on January 28th, 2015:

The defense specifically is built upon home-grown blue chip and red chip players. They’ve probably drafted more such players in the past 5 or so years than anyone. They’ve plenty of weaknesses, specifically on the other side of the ball though. I’m not one of the people who claims they have the best GM ever, but they’ve had a nice run recently.

170. 170 MagOvertheRainbow said at 8:37 PM on January 28th, 2015:

My point was really that they play the FA game as well as the Patriots do, apparently.

171. 171 Ark87 said at 8:49 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Oh, I was saying the Patriots are under rated drafters, but not as good at it as the Seahawks have been. FA-wise, the Seahawks have had some nice pick-ups on the D-line in the past. But their biggest one was definitely Marshawn Lynch. But nothing too crazy. No Revis caliber signing/dividends like the Patriots.

172. 172 Dave said at 2:20 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Yet everyone still gets along with Gamble, still talks to him and hangs out with him at the senior bowl hell he sat with all the Eagles at the senior bowl. As far as I know you have never herd a bad word about Tom, same can’t be said in the other direction and one quote yeah you can dismiss that but people have been quietly saying how much they dislike Roseman for years. Hard worker there is no question, gifted with numbers, better at dealing with agents that Banner but what he wants is to call all the shots and scout all the players. Look who knows what goes on behind closed doors but where there is smoke there is fire and The Novacare Facility has looked like a coal power plant at peak demand for a couple years and under 2 pretty dam good coaches.

173. 173 D3FB said at 2:26 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Tom Gamble: so well liked, so well respected, so good as a talent evaluator, that no one will hire him as a GM.

174. 174 CrackSammich said at 2:32 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Tom Gamble, inventor of the light bulb. Speaks fluent Russian in German. Walker on water, and curer of blindness. Tom. For he’s a jolly good fellow.

175. 175 GermanEagle said at 2:55 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I never understood a word he said. And I am german.

176. 176 Greg Richards said at 5:19 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Yeah, there’s something off there. Every one talks about how highly regarded he is and what a great “football guy” he is but he’s been in the business 25 years and the highest he got was with us. He’s had interviews for GM elsewhere but never got the job and there have been reports that the interview didn’t go well. I’m thinking maybe there’s some personal issue totally unrelated to football. Or maybe his personality is just gruf and he can get along with coaches but not suits.

177. 177 MagOvertheRainbow said at 8:25 PM on January 28th, 2015:

He could just be a brilliant talent evaluator but lousy at negotiating with smartaZZ agents.

178. 178 D3FB said at 11:32 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Or maybe he kisses reporters asses and leaks shit when it fits his agenda, so his public reputation is more sterling than how teams feel.

I mean when Todd Bowles got the Jets job, the beats were falling all over themselves talking about how amazing he is, and what a great job he did here. He was here one year, was a DB coach for 8 weeks, and then was interim DC as the defense truly fell apart, but hey the beats KNOW he’s the bestest. It’s not because what he did on the sideline but because he would feed them shit and wasn’t Andy with his “we gotta do a better job”

179. 179 EaglesD3rdandwrong said at 3:10 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Reid was not a very good coach after about ’08 I think. Some coaches never stop evolving, some never start. Reid is the same exact coach he was years ago.

180. 180 Dave said at 3:19 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I don’t disagree but he is still better than about 20-25 coaches in the NFL

181. 181 EaglesD3rdandwrong said at 3:32 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Terrible at making adjustments, doesnt always use personnel to best of their abilities, predictable play caller. No team will ever win SB because of coach reid.

He was a good-very good coach who failed to adjust here and continued doing asinine and insane things like hiring Castillo to be a DC w/o ANY experience all while letting Wash undermine him.

I rate Reid right above Cincy coach Lewis top 20 for sure! I don’t see how today he could be a top 12 coach.

182. 182 Dave said at 3:52 PM on January 28th, 2015:

He only has what 3 loosing seasons in 15 years. That isn’t luck. Now I agree with Castillo that’s like a Raiders move. Reid did bring a culture with him though and we got a new stadium, practice facility, people wanted to join the Eagles coaches and free agents we can’t forget that. Now I do agree that slowed way down and a change had to be made but he built a nice foundation.

183. 183 unhinged said at 4:55 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I have not read anywhere that “people have been quietly saying how much they dislike Roseman…” Not saying you’re fabricating, but if you have an ear inside the Eagles FO, wouldn’t Roseman’s reputation within leak out at some point? The whole Tom Gamble episode is ripe for an explanation. Somebody reported that he was escorted out of the Eagles’ building. If that is accurate, the big question is Why? You may say, as many commenters seem to believe, that it is because HR is an a–hole, but that is not really an answer. If, as the local media frames the story, Gamble was the casualty of a conflict between Roseman and Kelly, it still does not explain Gamble being escorted out, and it does not explain why Kelly cannot bring him back.

184. 184 CrackSammich said at 2:44 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Not sure why the reporters are getting their panties in a bunch about the Marshawn Lynch non-answers. Why aren’t they using it against him for comedy?

Reporter: “So Roger Goddell sold you prescription drugs last night. Can you confirm that by saying ‘You know why I’m here.’?”

185. 185 GermanEagle said at 2:54 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Good one.

186. 186 A_T_G said at 3:01 PM on January 28th, 2015:

“Hey Marshawn, what did the kid with poor grammar skills playing hide and seek say when asked why he was behind the ficus plant?”

187. 187 Guest said at 3:07 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Nevermind. This was not my best joke.

188. 188 EaglesD3rdandwrong said at 3:12 PM on January 28th, 2015:

He could have been goaded with some skittles. I think I would have went that route lol

189. 189 botto said at 3:29 PM on January 28th, 2015:

don’t we have a good receiver on the practice squad from Rutgers? quarron Pratt? I think that guy can be good. and wasn’t BJ Cunningham pretty decent in preseason. I know I know preseason, but where is that guy now? he is on Carolina or something?

190. 190 iceberg584 said at 5:58 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Pratt is a local (Palmyra, NJ) guy too…I’m definitely pulling for him to make some noise next preseason.

191. 191 Javi Echie said at 6:31 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Pratt looked excellent in preseason and as a Rutgers alum I naturally am pulling for him to make the team and get his chance. Although his stats will show that he wasn’t very productive in college, Rutgers dealt with absolute terrible QB and oline play. I still believe he can make noise if given the chance.

192. 192 GEAGLE said at 6:02 PM on January 28th, 2015:

So fed up with Goodell and his crap.. I wish Marshawn Lynch would just backhand slap him like a dirty rascal pimp does to his “bottom Bitch

First of all BEASTMODE is a moron. Stop letting that scumbag Goodell take your money, go see a Doctor, give him $1,000 and tell him to Diagnose you with severe social anxiety disorder, problem solved you dont have to talk, and you can save a ton of money… Even more disgusting is the Jackass media members, after you ask him 2 questions and he makes it bvious tjat he will just say the same answer over and over again, why the hell are you asking him 29 questions for? That’s like Prodding and picking at a caged animal, trying to get Marshawn to react. And its a joke,,, you waitng your media access to ask questions you 100% know you won’t get answers for. That’s how you waste your access? Do your readers not deserve better than for you to act like a clown with your access?
    …..
    I’m tiered of Goodell trying to bully Marshawn to talk. The NFL will hide behind their crap that they want to make the athletes available to the fans, the fans buy the tickets the fans buy the jerseys, the fans want to hear from you so you have to talk!! You hypocritical Jackass, there isn’t a player in the NFL today, that fans want answers from more than Roger Goodell, this slimey piece of shit has been hiding all season, no player besides maybe Hernandez has done more harm to the sheild than Roger boy has done this year…. The entire nation is waiting for you to answer some friggin questions and you are forcing Marshawn to talk to his fans?n fuck his fans.. What about Eagles fans?

We got our World ROCKED with crazy jerry springer episode at Novacare, huge changes were made to our infrastructure, Eagles Natin has tons of questions, yet Chip, Rose,an amd Howie can just make BIG MOVES and no one answering any of the many questions Eagles nation is concerned with?
    ..,
    no One has more answering to do than Goodell, Eagles fans lost their probowl WR and now our GM has become an eaumeny manager and it’s OK to leave Eagles nation twisting n turning in the wind for months not knowing what the hell his going on, yet you try to Force Lymch to answer to his fans?

I’m so turned off by this scumbag commissioner, I can’t stand him, He has to be replaced..l this piece of shit can’t be making 30millipn a year… He has become a complete joke, half the time he is dropPing the hammer on players with severe punishment, but the other half of the time, when its thePatriots, he barely punishes anyone?
    ….
    Thie dude can’t remain in power. I’m too young to remember a sports commissioner doing more harm to the league he is supposed to be protecting than this lying, scumbag Goodell

193. 193 anon said at 7:03 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Question for the group. Which Eagle takes the biggest step forward next year and which one takes the biggest step back. Skipping Foles – let’s try to make it interesting.

I’m going to say Trey Burton (TE) — takes a step up from being ST ACE, i’m going for 5 TDs 300 yds catching 400 yds rushing.

Biggest step back. Maclin. I’m going to say Huff and J. Matt get better and Foles builds a rapport with those guys and MAC does the possession receiver thing 1,000yds 8 TDs.

194. 194 botto said at 7:10 PM on January 28th, 2015:

good question.
    I think Huff is an easy call because it wont take much for him to be stepping forward. I have faith he will be pretty darn good too.
    stepping back? geez I don’t want anyone taking a step back that’s the last thing we need. parkey?

195. 195 anon said at 7:16 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I wouldn’t want to jinx the offensive MVP like that. Hope he works that leg out in the offseason, needs to prepare for an NFL workload.

196. 196 Andy Six Score and Four said at 7:36 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Biggest step forward: Fletcher, by virtue of not being an Eagle.

Or, more seriously, JMatt. He was really good as a rookie, and I could see him blowing up next year. Honorable mention: Huff. Hopeful mentions: Wolff, Smith II.

Biggest step back: Celek. Love the guy, but father time is doing his thing. Fearful mention: Peters and Mathis.

197. 197 botto said at 8:31 PM on January 28th, 2015:

yes! wolff

198. 198 Ark87 said at 7:43 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Going with a 2014 rookie. Huff seems the most obvious since you can see he’s a dynamic athlete and just has so much obvious potential if he can just clean up the fumbling and drops and such, that and assumed lesser role of Riley Cooper should percolate more opportunities towards Huff in some form.

The defense has some nice candidates to get excited about like Taylor Hart, Beau Allen, and Jaylen Watkins. Largest leap potential is obviously Marcus Smith who was a total dud this year with a tremendous amount of physical talent to be tapped.

As for biggest step back, would it be cheating to say he will be hot garbage on whatever team he ends up with next year? Fine, less of a prediction, more of my biggest fear, probably one of our aging linemen.

Though here’s an interesting additional question, who took the biggest step forward/backward this year. So many contenders for step backwards, Cooper, Foles, McCoy, heck even Nate Allen, Bradley Fletcher, and Cary Williams went from barely serviceable to awful. Biggest step forward I think is easy with Fletcher Cox.

199. 199 anon said at 7:58 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I actually thought Nate played better this year. It’s crazy that we had a backfieldof nate and chung last year.

200. 200 Ark87 said at 8:40 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I think part of my perception was in projection. I thought Nate’s play was barely serviceable last year in year 1 next to Chung, but I was somewhat optimistic that he’d be ok with his first-ever second consecutive year of coaching and being next to a competent veteran in Jenkins he would be ok, solid relative to the terrible state of starting safety play in the NFL. He had some very nice moments in the season, but many more terrible ones, and almost always the same stuff which seems to weigh heavier over time.

201. 201 A_T_G said at 8:03 PM on January 28th, 2015:

A lot of good answers given already, I will go with Herremans for the biggest step back. Not that he was particularly good this past year, but I see him backing right out of the starting lineup, and possibly right off the roster depending on how other guys pan out.

For biggest step up, I will go with Johnson. Much like Kendricks last year, I think this is the year he goes from solid but frustrating to holy hell good.

202. 202 MagOvertheRainbow said at 8:20 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Ertz. If he just holds onto the ball at critical times.

203. 203 ICDogg said at 7:12 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Scene from “Goodbar”

204. 204 GermanEagle said at 7:14 PM on January 28th, 2015:

L >>> XLIX

205. 205 A_T_G said at 7:51 PM on January 28th, 2015:

L? You can’t expect meathead football fans to realize that L means a number!? They would obviously think, ” Super Bowl large? Meh. I saw Super Bowl extra large 10 years ago and it wasn’t that great.”

That is why, in their infinite wisdom:

206. 206 GermanEagle said at 8:14 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Ha! Still rather win Super Bowl numero cinquanta than 49! 49 sounds cheap, doesn’t it?!

It feels like someone wants to sell you the Super Bowl… But we will not buy it before next year when Folezzzzz becomes the second coming of Tom Bradyzzzzzz!

Oh boy I really cannot wait for this Dryanuary to be over…

207. 207 anon said at 7:18 PM on January 28th, 2015:

These stats blew my mind:

But that game, in which Lynch carried 19 times for 131 yards, was far
    from Lynch’s only big postseason game. From that postseason debut
    through his 157-yard day against the Packers in the NFC Championship
    Game, Lynch has topped 100 yards in the playoffs five times, and topped
    130 yards four times. Only former Broncos running back Terrell Davis,
    with five 130-yard playoff games, has reached 130 yards in the
    postseason more often than Lynch.

208. 208 shah8 said at 7:25 PM on January 28th, 2015:

So I’m a geek, so there!

Brett Favre meets Ludwig Wittgenstein is a trip, though…

209. 209 A_T_G said at 8:12 PM on January 28th, 2015:

I was reminded of Cooper by that Kant catch.

210. 210 shah8 said at 11:00 PM on January 28th, 2015:

LOL

211. 211 SteveH said at 8:00 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Not really a fan of any of the CSN guys but Reub owns T.O. here. Questionable whether we were parade bound but it might have happened.

212. 212 Ark87 said at 8:28 PM on January 28th, 2015:

TO went a trollin, and Reub went all (refresh for image):

And every Eagles fan ever immediately resonated with the sentiment.

213. 213 GENETiC-FREAK said at 8:27 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Still no luck in the GM search

214. 214 GermanEagle said at 8:28 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Soon we are looking for Mr. Tom.

215. 215 Greg Richards said at 8:37 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Bring back Heckert! Just give him a plane ticket. We don’t want him driving here.

216. 216 GermanEagle said at 8:38 PM on January 28th, 2015:

He can have a Mr. Tom in the car though.

217. 217 GermanEagle said at 8:40 PM on January 28th, 2015:

Mmmmmh

218. 218 Greg Richards said at 8:36 PM on January 28th, 2015:

The Packers have blocked all the teams interested in their guys(coaches and player personnel guys) and Ravens guys have tended to take their name out of the running for promotion opportunities. Tons of teams have tried to hire Eric DeCosta and he’s been content to stay behind Ozzie. Hortiz is a good target.

219. 219 Eagles News: Arguing about Terrell Owens’ legacy | Sports Feedr said at 6:57 AM on January 29th, 2015:

[…] Looking for Mr. Goodbar – Iggles BlitzI have no problem with Grier. He has worked for the Dolphins and Patriots. Grier has been in the league for a couple of decades so he knows his way around. I can’t tell you that he’s got a set philosophy on how to build a team or anything like that, but I do know that he’s been around smart football guys like Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and Jeff Ireland over the years. They know about drafting players, signing free agents and building up a roster. […]

220. 220 Eagles News: Arguing about Terrell Owens’ legacy | nflfans247.net said at 6:59 AM on January 29th, 2015: