Slowly the Dream Fades Away

Posted: March 28th, 2015 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 167 Comments »

Is it time to completely give up on Marcus Mariota as an Eagle? If not, it sure seems the time is drawing closer.

The Bucs and Titans have checked him out. That’s pick #1 and #2. Now the Skins (5th), Jets (6th) and others are taking a long look. The Chargers are interested. The Browns too. Possibly the Rams.

As I thought when all the Mariota talk started months ago, if he is truly a top QB prospect, teams ahead of the Eagles will want him. It would make for a great story to have Mariota get reunited with Chip Kelly, but reality is a great dream killer and that’s what seems to be happening here.

This could all be pre-draft BS, but I think Mariota is too good for none of these teams to have legitimate interest. I don’t think he’s got much of a chance at making it outside the Top 10 and I don’t think the Eagles have much chance at moving up that high to get him. I tend to trust Chip when he says he’s not mortgaging the future to get one player.

What’s going on at ILB?

The Eagles have:

Mychal Kendricks
Kiko Alonso
DeMeco Ryans
Brad Jones
Najee Goode
Emmanuel Acho
Brandon Hepburn

That is a pretty deep group.

But the team continues to check out ILB prospects aggressively. Could they really add someone else?

It sure seems that way. I can’t get a read on how Kelly feels about Kendricks. We know he loves Ryans and Alonso. He’s said plenty of good things about Kendricks, but did mention durability in regard to him the other day. I would love to see the Eagles extend Kendricks and keep him around.

That said, if they think his asking price is going to be too high, there is something to be said for dealing him now and adding a talented rookie to the mix.

I know the Eagles are improved at ILB. That’s good because it is a key part of the 3-4. I don’t know what the short term and long term plans are. That’s frustrating, but I am definitely curious to see how this all plays out.

In my recent mock draft I had the Eagles getting CB Eric Rowe in the 4th round. Yeah…that’s not going to happen. He will be going in the 2nd round most likely. There is some chatter that he could even go in the 1st.

Zach is a Seahawks fan/writer/draftnik who focuses on athletic prospects. From a height-weight-speed standpoint, Rowe does make sense in the 1st round. We’ll see what happens. There certainly is a lot of buzz about him right now, and the Eagles are part of that.

Chip stopped by the Utah Pro Day on his way home from the owners meetings.

Cornerback Eric Rowe (6-0 1/8, 203) stood on his numbers from the combine, which were outstanding (he was among the top performers in his position group in every drill). Rowe had a very good pro day workout, justifying Kelly being there (given the Eagles‘ glaring need at the position). The 2014 season was Rowe’s first at cornerback after having played safety prior. He had a slow start to the season due to an injury. However, he’s come alive during the draft season, having a very good combine and pro day.

Rowe certainly fits what the Eagles want to do. He can press. He’s big and tall. Runs well. Will he last to their 2nd round pick? Is he worth 20? Do you move back and then draft him in the late 1st?

There isn’t a ton to see here, but take a look if you want.

167 Comments on “Slowly the Dream Fades Away”

1. 1 bluto said at 1:27 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Zach Whitman getting quoted and given a voice?!?!?!? This online draft culture is totally out of control.

2. 2 GEAGLE said at 2:38 PM on March 28th, 2015:

soon even chris cristie will become a Mock expert

3. 3 TommyLawlor said at 3:09 PM on March 28th, 2015:

He knows SPARQ stuff as well as anyone from what I can tell.

4. 4 BlindChow said at 1:48 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Remember when RGIII was considered the 2nd best prospect in the draft? He probably could have been had this year for a low draft pick. Maybe all we have to do is wait a couple years, and if Mariota struggles in a more conventional NFL offense we can get him cheap…

5. 5 Alex Karklins said at 1:57 PM on March 28th, 2015:

But by then Chip Kelly will be back coaching in college. /sarcasm

6. 6 CrackSammich said at 3:37 PM on March 28th, 2015:

That poor kid. When he came out, people were parading him around as the most selfless, hard working, natural leader in the draft. 3 years in Washington, and now he’s a fame-hungry, selfish attention-whore. If you like Mariota, hope he doesn’t end up there.

7. 7 Ben said at 3:38 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I was thinking along the same lines.
    I hope he goes to a team that fails to utilize his skill set and he is considered a mediocre talent due to scheme, talent of players around him and poor play calling.
    We ride Sam for two seasons and win a Superbowl then we trade Sam for Mariota straight up and win two more.

I can dream, can’t I?

8. 8 Chris Lindeman said at 4:38 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Like Sam Bradford?

9. 9 76mustang said at 2:03 PM on March 28th, 2015:

In 2013 there were 17 QBs that played all 16 regular season games, in 2014 there were 16.

If you’re a team in the upper half of the draft and don’t have a “franchise” QB, you’d better be taking a long look at the top QBs in this year’s draft. When Mark Sanchez is widely considered the best backup QB in the league, MM doesn’t seem like such a stretch to go in the top 6 even by his greatest detractors.

With the MM / CK intrigue going into the draft, it wouldn’t surprise me if this year’s first round sets viewing records – can’t wait to hear all the wild speculations and conjecture from the in-the-know reporters. The draft can’t get here soon enough!

10. 10 Mark Sitko said at 2:11 PM on March 28th, 2015:

The best QB in the league dropped below pick 20 – I agree, Chip is not trading up that far for Mariota, but once he gets byond the few teams you mention we could go get him…until he plays a snap in a non Eagles jersey I am not giving up the idea that Chip wants to make that happen.

11. 11 GEAGLE said at 2:25 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I still think a long time ago chip was re signed to the fact that MM wont be an eagle, and everyone is blowing this way out of proportion.
    ,.,.
    if chip wanted this kid as bad as everyone thinks he does, Barkley would have played in the finale against the Giants when we were already eliminated from the playoffs. heck fans wanted him to tank the game for draft position… he isnt dumb, someone made him aware of the repruccussions of winning that meaningless game. Winning gets us the #20th pick, losing could have gotten us as high as #16… to trade up for Mariota from 20,. and to do it from #16, is the difference of an extra 1st round pick… its the difference of only having to give up 3 first rounders to get the kid, or have to give up 4 first rounders…. ‘
    Every single thing chip has done, are NOT the actions of what you would do if you really had to have this kid….Seems to me that chip is doing more things to try and help the kid get picked as high as possible, instead of actions of a coach who was really planning on going after this kid all the way at 20..
    then again, the notion that we would trade up from #20 for an elite QB prospect was probably completley absurd to begin with… chip seems to have accepted this… fortunately this will all be answered in a few weeks so we can move on from this absurd madden video game GM talk…

12. 12 RobNE said at 2:15 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I think you are overstating the interest in MM. It’s just due diligence for all these teams to check him out. But I really, really doubt for example that either the Bucs or Titans will draft him to play on their team. I also don’t think Chip is waiting for MM to fall outside the top 10 to make a move, I still think it’s in the 3-6 range.

It just seems like there is a bit of projecting for MM as to whether he will be a good NFL QB. Therefore, why would teams just have to have him and move up to take him, other than the Eagles. They might be interested, they might even offer a trade, but if MM gets into the range where you don’t have to trade the farm I don’t see how anyone outbids Chip (assuming he wants him). He is more valuable to Chip than these other teams.

Plus, if you are say the Titans and you might trade him, of course you invite him and then say all kinds of wonderful things about him. I think we are seeing a lot of bluffing going on.

13. 13 holeplug said at 4:48 PM on March 28th, 2015:

remember when Lurie got in his jet to attend the Eagles private workout with Geno Smith at West Virginia. and Geno fell all the way out of the 1st round.

14. 14 GEAGLE said at 2:17 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Tom, I understand why you would wonder about kendricks due to the statements chip made… But chip talked about how kendricks is so good that “we are a different team without him”… chip either lies, or he tells us truths if there is a reason for it. in one breath he would heap praise on kendricks and in the next he kept going back to him missing games..
    this can be interpretted in two ways:

1) preparing the media and fans for when he trades mykal away..
    2) (Im leaning towards this one).. the reason for why chip kept mentioning Kendricks durability and how we are a different team without him is because I took it as chip giving reporters advance excuses for why we are still paying Meco to be here… I assumed he was making those statements in anticipation of the why in the world are we still paying Meco 6mil questions..
    ,..
    those are really the only two reasons why chip would make those statements. to either lay the foundation for his reasoning for trading kendricks, or he was using Kendricks durability in anticipation to explain why meco was still here… and I strongly feel like he was talking about the latter.
    but we shall find out soon…if anyone gets traded away it will happen from now til the end of the draft

15. 15 EaglesFan1 said at 2:30 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I’d be pissed if we traded away kendricks

16. 16 GEAGLE said at 2:34 PM on March 28th, 2015:

i wouldnt worry about it… but yeah, id be furious too…
    doubt there is any truth to this… just simple minded dopes trying to connect obvious dots…fortunately silly season is almost over and in a few weeks we will knbow which of our players are safe fom trading away,… then again people are gullible enough to believe that Meco will be ready by camp, so what can I really expect….
    chip is ranting and raving all offseason about needing ILB depth… you arent building depth by replacing Kendricks with kiko

17. 17 Cafone said at 1:52 AM on March 31st, 2015:

Casey Matthews was not “servicable”. He was awful.

18. 18 Cafone said at 1:43 AM on March 31st, 2015:

How pissed will you be when the Eagles lose him in free agency with no compensation?

19. 19 GEAGLE said at 2:27 PM on March 28th, 2015:

i dont at all understand why everyone is making a big deal out of the fact that we are looking at LB prospects… Newsflash, we arent looking at LBs and more or anyless then we look at every other position… its what you are supposed to do this time of year

20. 20 EaglesFan1 said at 2:31 PM on March 28th, 2015:

If Tampa or Tennessee doesn’t take MM I could see us trading with Oakland for the #4 spot since they don’t need a QB and we’re outside their conference

21. 21 bluto said at 2:56 PM on March 28th, 2015:

You obviously have been listening to Chip Kelly’s words very closely.

22. 22 EaglesFan1 said at 7:32 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I’m not saying he is going to trade up I’m just pointing something out that I thought about

23. 23 GEAGLE said at 2:33 PM on March 28th, 2015:

someone needs to call out Didinger for putting complete bullshit in fans minds,… smh, dude is out there every single week talking about how Landon Collins is the only safety “he has a first round grade on” LOL and how important we is that we draft him… and I rip this fanbase for being dumb? what chance do we actually have when one of the most respected football guys in our media is so uneducated that he puts this crap in trusting fans brains?… what a shame.
    of course this was the same idiot two years ago who wouldnt shut up about the eagles spending the 4th pick on Dee Milner, who anyone with half a brain knew wasnt going to happen…its a disgrace to have such a passionate and caring fanbase, and this is the level of coverage we get from one of the most respected football guys in our media? someone please call his radio show and school him…

24. 24 Mitchell said at 2:58 PM on March 28th, 2015:

They can have Rowe. I think I would prefer Byron Jones anyway after watching how well he can press.

25. 25 GEAGLE said at 3:19 PM on March 28th, 2015:

i like Rowe, not that high tho… not that I even hate him that high, its just that there are too many kids I like more… heck I probably like the kids slated to go 30-50 more then the players expected to go 20-30 range…
    hopefully someone unexpected falls to 20 and we get a top 15 talent.
    If not, Im really really hoping to see us trade back twice, and not make our first pick til somewhere in the top 7 of round 2.
    So trade back from #20 to #26 and get an extra 3rd or late 2nd.
    and then from #26, trade out of round 1 altogether, allowing one of the QB needy teams at the beginning of round 2, trade back into round 1 to secure QB Brett Hundley and get him in round 1 where they get a 5th year option, and we end up with another extra 3rd or late 2nd.
    As a fan, it sucks to have to wait til round 2 to see our team make its first pick, but two extra top 100 talents would be huge for us…especially if there isnt a big difference between what we are choosing at #20 and what we would get at like #35… for us to not trade back and take the extra picks, I would hope we would need to see a real highly touted talent graded in the 10-15 range slip and fall to us at #20… but its really hard to get an idea what the hell will happen at #20 because its really a crappy draft position, where many years you end up having to give a round 1 contract to a kid with a second round grade..if we are going to come away with a kid without a legit round 1 grade, trade back and take the picks…

26. 26 Mitchell said at 3:31 PM on March 28th, 2015:

It wouldn’t suck for me. I would be having a great time Friday night if that happened.

27. 27 GEAGLE said at 3:38 PM on March 28th, 2015:

im sure the fans that understand would be hype… but you know the dumb media would get the fans fired up,… “all the holes and this college coach didnt see a single player that could help us in round 1?” “this coach is allergic to talent, egomaniac who thinks his scheme is everything” blah blah blah…
    Id be so hype, pop a couple sleeping pills, try to fall asleep ASAP so the next day could get here quicker, lol, like a kid going to bed early so christmas morining can come faster..

28. 28 GermanEagle said at 3:06 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Before I click on that link can you please give parental advise, Mr T!

29. 29 TommyLawlor said at 3:12 PM on March 28th, 2015:

No, son. Time for you to experience the world on your own.

Don’t forget to call home from time to time.

30. 30 ACViking said at 3:08 PM on March 28th, 2015:

If 7 years ago (after the 2008 season), the Colts offered the Eagles Peyton Manning straight up for a swap of 1st Rd picks and a 2nd in the then-upcoming draft, plus a 1st and 3rd in the next draft, plus Donovan McNabb —

Or the Pats offered Brady on the same terms —

Do the Eagles make that trade?

Is that an easy call? Or no?
    ____________

So if a QB is available whom your GM and Coach both believe is so special he can win 5 SBs (lets say 2 SBs and a loss to keep it closer to reality) . . .

And that QB can be acquired for a swap of 1sts plus a 2nd now, a 1st and 3rd next year, plus the best QB on your roster . . .

And the GM and Coach are the same person . . .

Do you make that deal? Or no?
    _____________

So maybe you don’t win the SB in the first year, but what about Y-2? And Y-3? And Y-4? And Y-5?

Of course, you can say “No” to the deal — and treat every year as a chance to tear down the team, find a new QB, and try again.

31. 31 SuPaFrO said at 3:11 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I would say yes.
    Especially because you’re not losing 2 1st and 2nd. so pretty much yyou’re losing 1st and 3rd. And upgrading McNabb.
    I would much rather do that then want we would have to do to get MM

32. 32 TommyLawlor said at 3:13 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I just don’t think Mariota is that special of a QB.

33. 33 RobNE said at 3:29 PM on March 28th, 2015:

so then why do you think all these teams have such a high interest? you wrote in this article “if he is truly a top prospect” so ok, it’s a big “if”. But other teams are likely thinking the same way.

we may be fortunate to have an inefficiency in the market where what we seek (MM) is worth more to us than other teams. So no one else will pay fair market value to jump up and take him.

34. 34 GermanEagle said at 3:47 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Because they wouldn’t have to give up multiple high picks for MM.

35. 35 RobNE said at 4:07 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Cleveland would. I really don’t think Tampa or Titans will take him. I don’t think the Jets will move up.

36. 36 unhinged said at 5:01 PM on March 28th, 2015:

If you can believe Jeff Fisher, Rams are looking for a QB in the draft.

37. 37 RobNE said at 7:11 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Looking for a qb and trading up and outbidding us are not the same.

38. 38 daveH said at 8:15 PM on March 28th, 2015:

how many title does jeff fisher hav? he’s done great for himself but not so amazing for his teams

39. 39 TommyLawlor said at 4:08 PM on March 28th, 2015:

There is a difference in being the #1 or #2 QB this year and being someone truly elite.

Peyton Manning went #1 overall. So did Alex Smith. That doesn’t make them the same kind of prospect.

40. 40 RobNE said at 4:10 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I agree but that changes what you might need to pay for them. For example, the Colts likely were never going to entertain trading the pick they used on Luck. But teams likely think, I’m not sure if I can make MM work, he isn’t worth as much, maybe I trade the pick. They also might think maybe I would take MM but he isn’t worth me moving up and paying a lot.

41. 41 Chris Lindeman said at 4:53 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Excatly

42. 42 Jernst said at 4:04 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Neither do I. The question though, Tommy, is ‘does Chip think Mariota is that special? Particularly in his system…’

I don’t have a definitive answer for that…but the only thing that keeps the thought of us trading up for MM alive, in my opinion, is that all indications are that Chip thinks Mariota is definitely that special.

When you’re interviewing for HC jobs, behind closed doors, and you tell everyone interviewing you that you are sure the kid will win multiple Super Bowls, that says something. When, every time you’re asked about him you openly gush about the kid and compare him directly to Peyton Manning with more athletic ability, tell people you were 100% certain he would win the Heisman from day one of his freshman year, and routinely tell people that he’s the best QB in the draft by far, I think that says something very significant.

Nobody else would give up that much for Marcus Mariota, but Chip just might. Because, as ACVicking states, if Chip thinks he’s the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, that surely changes the cost benefit analysis significantly for a trade up.

43. 43 Chris Lindeman said at 5:06 PM on March 28th, 2015:

It means that if I had the #5 pick, say. I would charge Chip more for it in a trade. Than say I would Cleveland. As Chip will probably pay it. Why not gouge him? Especially if the man thinks he’s as good as Peyton….In a way Chip’s comments have purposely weakened his position.

44. 44 GEAGLE said at 5:08 PM on March 28th, 2015:

which is why i dont believe chip intends to trade for him. to me his actions match those of a guy trying to see his boy get drafted as high as possible.. these arent the actions of a couach planning a major coup, moving all the way up from 20 for his goldenboy..
    chip isnt dumb, think he would be telling the world he thinks this kid has a peyton Brain if he was planning on trading for him?
    how dumb do people think chip is? i dont get it

45. 45 Chris Lindeman said at 7:30 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Exactly my point. He might as well hang himself. There’s no reverse physiology. No tricks. It’s cut and dry and Bradford is the man moving fwd. Accept it folks.

46. 46 GEAGLE said at 9:11 PM on March 28th, 2015:

yes sir!!! The Summer of Sam!!!

47. 47 ACViking said at 4:12 PM on March 28th, 2015:

T-Law:

Now THAT is the kind of evaluation:

(1) I trust; and

(2) Ends the discussion for me.
    _____________

Long overdue.

Thank you.

48. 48 Mr. Magee said at 4:32 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I’m sure you’ve covered this somewhere in the past, but why do you feel that way? I mean, with specific reference to his utility in an offense designed and managed by Chip?

FWIW, I agree with your POV that MM does not make it out of the top 10, and that Chip won’t trade the farm to get him.

49. 49 76mustang said at 6:05 PM on March 28th, 2015:

IDK, in a pro-style offense I agree that MM is mostly a projection. But, in Chip’s offense, when you think of all the practice and game reps Chip witnessed with MM, every blocking assignment adjustment, every package play decision, every mistake correction, every game plan insertion, every film session, how MM competes, how he led his team to wins over very good Andrew Luck and Russel Wilson led teams, etc. etc., does Kelly view him as his ultimate QB?

50. 50 Jarock said at 9:57 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Irony of this statement amuses me to no end, Tommy.
    a – You absolutely don’t seem him dropping out of the top 10 and probably not out of the top 5.
    b – He’s not that special.

While I agree that his game needs refinement and that he certainly would fit best in Philly’s offense, clearly you believe the league sees him as a potentially special player. Despite this, you are downplaying him. I’d love to have him and I think the Eagles would be nuts not to try to snag him, but I don’t want them to trade the world for him either.

51. 51 Jernst said at 4:16 PM on March 28th, 2015:

A Tom Brady or Peyton Manning in their prime is arguably worth even more than that. Think about it, not from the Eagles perspective, but rather if you were the Patriots in 2007. Would you accept 4 first round picks for Brady? How about 5? Personally, I think having a Tom Brady as your franchise QB is nearly priceless. You are guaranteed, essentially, to be a Super Bowl contender for the next decade if you stick with Brady as your starter. I’m not sure I’d trade him for any amount of picks. I mean, there’s always a price that might be too good to pass up, but I doubt I’d even consider it unless it was 4 firsts or more.

The only question that we don’t have an answer to is what Chip actually and truthfully sees when he looks at Mariota. Does he see Tom Brady with running ability? If he does, how certain is he that Mariota would reach that level in the pros, in his offense and his tutelage? Is he 100% sure, 90% sure, 50%, 10%? That’s the big question. IF, and that’s a decent sized if, Chip is more than say 50% sure he’d have a top 2-3 QB and multiple Super Bowls over the next 15 years with Mariota, then Bradford, a swap of firsts, a first next year and second this year and a third next year, might not seem like such a prohibitive cost given the expected pay out. Chances are that even if Mariota fails, those picks won’t be much higher than 20th in each round. Even with bad QB play, a third string offensive line and the worst pass defense in decades we’re still able to win 10 games. So who knows.

I’d say if I were the Eagles I’d make that trade in a heart beat for Peyton or Brady. And, if he were in Chips position AND I truly thought MM was the next Brady/Manning, I’d do that trade up now. I don’t personally see that level of exceptionalism when I look at MM so I wouldn’t do it. But, Chip very well might.

52. 52 Mr. Magee said at 4:27 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Is it too late to do that? If not I say yes to those deals…

53. 53 GEAGLE said at 3:09 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Adrian Peterson – RB – Vikings

ESPN Dallas confirms the Cowboys aren’t expected to trade for Adrian Peterson.

The Cowboys would need to make major cutbacks to afford Peterson, who has a $12.75 million salary. Dallas currently has just $2.25M in cap space. The Cowboys also don’t want to give up a premium pick to acquire Peterson. ESPN’s Todd Archer expects Dallas to draft DeMarco Murray’s replacement in the top three rounds.-roto

hopefully AP ends up in the AFC. Todd Bowles would be smart to add him with the Defense he is building… and then If the Jets can draft Mariota, the Jets become a serious franchise.. When you dont have an Elite QB, the next best way to contend is building a team with a top Defense and elite run game. Would love to see Todd Bowles get AP, and have the improved Jets, improved Dolphins and improved Bills all make the Patriots life a little harder….. Really, Im fingers crossed hoping he doesnt up in Arizona.. beides Dallas, Bruce Arians getting AP is my nightmare..

….
    The Bears are considering moving RG Kyle Long to tackle.

Jordan Mills was a turnstile at right tackle last season, allowing six sacks and 31 hurries in 839 snaps. Long has excelled at right guard through his first two years in the league, but he would be more valuable to the team at right tackle. Free agent C Stefen Wisniewski is reportedly on the Bears radar, and could be a good stop-gap option at right guard if Long is moved.- Roto

This would be the blueprint with drafting Jake Fisher.. RG for a few years, then slide to RT if we need him to when Lane replace JP on the other side…. But im still holding out hope(until the fat chick sings) that we snatch Kyle away in free agency..hoping John Fox will be fired around the time when they have to extend him, and hoping that franchise will be in transition so he miraculuosly makes it on the open market. Love the way this kid play. like a true QB bodyguard…ending up with Kiko, Kyle Long and Dion 2-3 years from now is still the dream..

54. 54 SuPaFrO said at 3:16 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Never give up on your dreams! .dream on.

55. 55 GEAGLE said at 3:20 PM on March 28th, 2015:

ok…

56. 56 xeynon said at 3:22 PM on March 28th, 2015:

How is Kelly gonna complain that Kendricks lacks durability when he just shelled out tens of millions of dollars to (and is heavily counting on) Sam Bradford, DeMarco Murray, Ryan Mathews, and Walter Thurmond? To me this is a bad sign.

57. 57 GEAGLE said at 3:34 PM on March 28th, 2015:

i cant disagree more…. I interpreted chip bringing up Kendrick durability as a pre-emptive strike to the follow up questions about why the hell he is keeping Meco at $6mil that everyone is so fixated about…
    especially since he keeps bunching in “Kendrick lack of durability” and “Prioritizing that we really needed to build depth at ILB”.. he keeps vollunteering those two pieces of info to the media, so you can bet their is a motive behind, WHY he keeps offering up these statements and to me it blatantly sounds like pre-emptive strike to try and explain why we are paying Meco 6mil when we have Kiko and Kendricks..
    when in reality all chip would have to do is explain that we are paying Kendricxks and Meco peanuts for the next two years, so even if we pay Meco we are still probably way under the cap amount that we can spend on the ILB position as a whole… Just my interpretation.

58. 58 nopain23 said at 3:27 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I say take the best O lineman or WR at 20 since all the pass rushers will be taken in the top 10 pushing some good WR’s and O linemen down the draft board.

59. 59 Ben said at 3:33 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I doubt that Chip wants to lose Kendricks and his speed.
    I like to the idea of stocking up on LB depth too.
    After the final cuts happen, I can see our LB core being tops in the NFL this coming season.
    In fact, if Kiko Alonso can come back anywhere near as good as he was when he got injured, he has pro bowl level talent that could help turn our defense from one of the worst secondary’s into one of the best, depending on how the Eagles attack the draft.

60. 60 Mitchell said at 3:35 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Tommy, you have said the most important part of the 3-4 is the linebackers. Maybe the Eagles are just stocking up on the most important position in this defense?

61. 61 GEAGLE said at 3:40 PM on March 28th, 2015:

what would give you such a crazy idea? its not like they havent been saying all offseason that ILB depth is one of our biggest priorities this offseason… Oh wait… nvmd

62. 62 TommyLawlor said at 4:14 PM on March 28th, 2015:

You are going to carry 4 active ILBs on gameday.

Alonso
    Kendricks
    Ryans
    Jones
    Goode

The Eagles are talking to guys who could go as early as the 2nd round. That guy could beat out Jones or Goode for a roster spot, but it just seems like a strange use of resources.

I have no problem with them taking someone late, but spending an early pick on an ILB with young guys like Alonso and Kendricks already in place seems very odd to me.

63. 63 FairOaks said at 9:33 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Do you think Ryans could start the year on the PUP list?

64. 64 scratcherk said at 3:39 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I dont want any part of trading Cox. Best player on our defense, needs to be an Eagle for life.

Only way I could fathom it would be that he is asking for Suh money next year. Then trade him this year and get some value…

65. 65 GEAGLE said at 3:45 PM on March 28th, 2015:

im hoping all the trading defenders crap ends up being nonsense…
    “we had too much invested in the Offense and not enough in the defense and it showed on the field”-chip kelly

forget what they say, they seem to be pretty serious about improving the defense this offseason…when your GM tried to sign the most expensive Safety AND CB on the market, and trades franchise leading RB for a LB, probably dont need the coach/GM to tell us that they are serious about upgrading the defense this year..
    There really is no precedent for Chip trading away a HIGH LEVEL young DEFENSIVE stud who is still on a cheap rookie deal…. They didnt even flip curry back when he wasnt producing yet… I really really really find it hard to believe that we will trade away talented young players on rookie contracts… The only one I would have to understand is Curry, but on a personal level it would infuriate me if they traded my dude…but at least I could see why they would do it..

66. 66 Ankerstjernen said at 3:53 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Boykin too. Gotta believe those trade rumours from Miami is about him..

67. 67 Jarock said at 9:51 PM on March 28th, 2015:

If you’re still convinced that Kendricks is part of Kelly’s future plans, you’re drinking your own Kool-Aid. Cox is a different story. I’ll miss Kendricks, and I think trading him is a mistake, but sure seems that Kelly’s determined to go that direction.

68. 68 GermanEagle said at 3:50 PM on March 28th, 2015:

He can surely ask for it, but he will never get Suh money. Eva.

69. 69 TommyLawlor said at 4:10 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Who brought up trading Cox?

He’s not going anywhere.

70. 70 scratcherk said at 7:58 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Hope so, OD has sure alluded to it though.

71. 71 BlindChow said at 12:21 AM on March 29th, 2015:

That’s what you get for trusting strangers on the internet.

72. 72 unhinged said at 3:54 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Seems like the lingering aspects of the MM to Eagles chatter is based more on CK’s expressed appreciation for the guy, than any consensus ranking. Most detached assessments that I’ve read (here and elsewhere) have Winston as the closest thing to a consensus #1, but virtually everybody agrees that this is a weak draft for QB’s. I can see the hesitation that Winston might cause, but I am not at all sold on the notion that MM is a franchise QB in waiting. On a related subject, Bruce Arians, who I think has earned the respect of most, if not all current and aspiring QB coaches, was asked about Arizona’s playoff loss to the Panthers. The question was why he stuck with Ryan Lindley in the season finale against SF, when he had Logan Thomas on the bench. I thought his answer offered an appropriate segue to any assessment of MM:

“We drafted him for two years from now, not November,” Arians said, via the team’s official website. “It just so happened his number got called (earlier.) I was not going to let him fail (in San Francisco) because once you fail those scars never go away.”

When I look at MM, I see a guy whose future in the NFL may be highly dependent on how he is handled. We all know Chip’s bias, but if MM was the QB for UCLA instead of Oregon, I doubt he’d be the Heisman winner or the subject of so much starry-eyed interest. I’m not a huge fan of either MM or Hundley, but either or both could go on to NFL stardom… or not. If Chip does go after and gets Mariota, the pressure on each will be so severely overblown that failure could become a fait accompli. I wouldn’t wish that on Kelly or Mariota, and especially not on Eagle fans.

73. 73 Mr. Magee said at 4:50 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Unhinged / detached – I see what you did there. I have been accused of both, so I have particular appreciation for your comment ^

In all seriousness, this is a great post and can’t believe you’re not getting more love here. Would A-Aron Rodgers be the special QB he is today if he had not been forced to warch and learn behind Brett Fav-re? We’ll never know of course, but he has been awfully successful. I think the Andrew Luck’s of the world are the exception to the rule.

Couldn’t agree more that MM needs development, and that the scrutiny on he and Chip would likely be just too much.

74. 74 unhinged said at 5:31 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Thanks. Rodgers actually said that his time on the bench helped him a lot. Some folks see the middling comments re: Mariota as evidence that he could fall, but seems like every year a few teams are desperate for QB upgrade and they don’t want to miss an opportunity. Even though I am not sold, I think MM goes top 5.

75. 75 GEAGLE said at 4:02 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Dolphins better not come calling for Maragos…. not interested in trading him..

76. 76 Pennguino said at 4:02 PM on March 28th, 2015:

FINALLY! So glad the talk is dying down. It was never a real possibility. Chip end of season PC stated he would not mortgage the future for one person. It was nauseating to see every event was only so Chip could get Marty Iota. The price of the dollar is falling so Lurie can buy his way in, to draft Marty Iota…smh

77. 77 GEAGLE said at 4:07 PM on March 28th, 2015:

unfortunately, one Tom Lawlor article isnt going to make this talk go away. when reporters are starting to actually get mad that the coach wont bite and admit that he wants to trade for him, they pretty much officially lost their minds.. Media is literally starting to act like Chip should tell them his draft targets ahead of time, which is like media “rock bottom”…. I dont think anything can happen that will make this talk go away until after the draft. Its only going to intensify because this is all our media is interested in talking about…
    when the media is starting to rationalize crazy shit like trading 3 first round picks, 2 second round picks, Cox and Kendricks… safe to say these dudes officially lost their damn minds and this talk wont go away anytime before the draft… only a few more weeks to endure the nonsense brother. We are almost home free…

78. 78 Joe Minx said at 5:30 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Amen. Can’t wait till this Mariota BS is OVER.

79. 79 GEAGLE said at 8:03 AM on March 29th, 2015:

trust me I hear you!!!! wish the draft was next weekend, Im ready to put this all behind us

80. 80 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 4:50 PM on March 28th, 2015:

If MM falls to Stl, and they take him, Jeff Fisher officially trade-raped us!

81. 81 NinjaP said at 5:50 PM on March 28th, 2015:

So if the rams use a pick on mariota that the eagles never had they trade raped up?

What?

82. 82 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 5:55 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Yes. They conned us into taking 13mil in salary for damaged goods in exchange for a QB of similar skill set, with a lot less money on the books, and got us to throw in greater value in draft picks. While most of us thought the trade was based on getting us to #10, which would be painfully ironic if that’s where MM fell. Doesn’t seem like that deal might haunt us?

83. 83 Joe Minx said at 5:58 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Good to see you know the future & that Bradford will continue to be hurt. Otherwise it would blow your premise up.

84. 84 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 6:02 PM on March 28th, 2015:

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Guys who tend to struggle to stay healthy continue to struggle to stay healthy.

85. 85 Joe Minx said at 6:06 PM on March 28th, 2015:

You could just as easily apply that axiom to Foles.

And I guess you didn’t want them to re-sign Maclin then?

86. 86 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 6:10 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Yes I would rather have Foles at 10% or the price and keeping our 2nd rd pick next year.

Difference with Maclin is he got IR’d once. Bradford has ended his season injured more times than not going all the way back to college. You can bet on him changing that durability factor, but I’d rather not.

87. 87 Joe Minx said at 6:17 PM on March 28th, 2015:

So what if he got IR’d only once? They both tore their ACLs twice. He’s had just as much of a problem staying healthy as Bradford & yet most of us wanted them to back up the truck for him.

88. 88 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 6:25 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I totally disagree. Big difference between being put on IR and missing a game here and there. Besides the ACL’s, Bradford has been shut down with an ankle and a shoulder that he injured twice requiring surgery as a senior. Very different then Maclin’s injury history, which has been a ding here and there.

89. 89 D3FB said at 7:11 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Maclins played 16 games 2 times in 6 years.

90. 90 Insomniac said at 7:26 PM on March 28th, 2015:

To be fair, he’s played in almost all of the games before the ACL tear in 2013.

91. 91 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 7:32 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Maclin has played in 75 of a possible 90 games or 12.5 per season.
    Bradford has played in 49 of a possible 80 games or 9.8 per season.
    I think that’s a significant difference.

We are paying 13mil and gave up a 2nd rounder in a QB swap that netted us a guy that avg less than 10 games per season.

49-80 9.8
    75-96 12.5

92. 92 A_T_G said at 9:12 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Foles started 24 out of 48, or 8 per year.

93. 93 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 10:01 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I never claimed Foles was durable.

94. 94 D3FB said at 11:55 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Bradford has to chance to be the guy.

Foles was never ever ever going to be the guy. The hope was that he could be fringe good enough and then you only have to build a freakin super team around him and get hot in the playoffs.

The valuation in the trade wasn’t the greatest, but it’s not like 13 mil for one season is putting us in any kind of cap trouble, reasonable people agree on that.

I mean we could start a UDFA QB this year. That would be even cheaper than Foles!

95. 95 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 8:24 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Sure cause playing a seventh round undrafted rookie is what I’m talking about. I’ve seen your stuff, and it’s very good but that hyperbole is just absurd.

Not saying the money cripples our cap, just skews the valuation. You can say Bradford has more upside, and I agree, but that doesn’t mean he’ll ever realize that potential, and that doesn’t mean I want to pay him 10 times the money Foles was due. They are both lame ducks, and we will likely require a new direction after this season. I think Breckford, just like all the other quarterbacks in this offense, will put up numbers, but he will ultimately be injured leaving us back at square one. So please explain to me why that valuation makes any sense, when you factor in we gave up next years 2nd and took the cap hit.

96. 96 D3FB said at 10:32 PM on March 29th, 2015:

It’s only slightly hyperbolic. Bradford is significantly more talented than Foles. So your argument is in effect to pay inferior money for inferior talent.

I don’t think the trade valuation is great.

But Bradford is > Foles. Cleveland offered a first for Bradford, effectively setting his price. We improved the QB position, it cost us a 2nd rounder next year a a day 3 pick swap. It’s not great but it’s far from an abomination either. Foles was never going to get you a ton so in effect you traded 2 2nd round picks and swapped a 4 for a 5 for Bradford who had a valuation of a first round pick. Once again, not great but not the worst thing in the world either.

This basically comes down to you think Bradford ends the season on IR. I don’t.

97. 97 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 6:11 AM on March 30th, 2015:

It is hyperbolic because, the cost savings on Foles and an UDFA is actually only a couple hundred thousand dollars, not the ~12mil difference you’re paying Bradford. You never heard my opinion of Foles(who I see as a competent starter, not much more), but the contract situation is a negative assets we are receiving. So really, it’s silly to boil everything I said down into a cost savings when much more than that went into my valuation.

I agree Bradford is more talented than Foles, but he’s yet to put it together in the NFL. There still a leap of faith in swapping oft-injured quarterback’s, especially when you’re getting back the guy making 10 times more and giving up the premium draft pick. Just because Cleveland set the market doesn’t mean I think it’s a good idea to pay their valuation. No one before this off-season would’ve thought Bradford was worth a first rounder, and I still don’t think that’s a reasonable market value. In fact, I’m not really a fan of taking Bradford for two second round picks given his current/controllability, as you laid out.

Your last paragraph absolutely summed this up. I expect Bradford to play well in this offense, when healthy. So what do you do after the season if he plays 8 to 10 good games and his injured the rest? How do you reach a fair market contract, especially when he showed no inclination to renegotiate what St. Louis felt was an unreasonably high number? For me, that’s not even the worst case scenario. I’m more worried about a Carson Palmer situation, where he plays well this year, we extend him, and then he gets injured and were locked in.

98. 98 NineseveN said at 7:29 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Chance events (which injuries are) also have no memory. Bradford’s injury history doesn’t really predict future injuries. In fact, with these 2 major injuries already having occurred, he may actually be LESS likely to be injured seriously in the future if he’s of ‘average durability’ (and that book won’t be written in stone until his career is over).

99. 99 rockedupeaglefan said at 7:49 PM on March 28th, 2015:

He’s actually had 3 major injuries, (defined as injuries requiring season ending surgery) if you count the shoulder as a senior. In the NFL he’s had 2 healthy seasons, with his other 3 seasons he played, 10, 7, and 0 games. This is nothing like Maclin, who missed one season, but played in no less than 13 the rest of his career. This may be random, but some guys have a knack for staying healthy and some guys don’t. Also, when injuries start occurring in the same body part, it may not be random, it may be damaged goods.

100. 100 OldDuckMcDoc said at 7:07 PM on March 28th, 2015:

In that scenario they could still move up and take Mariota just as easily today as they could pre-Bradford trade. I don’t like the trade because I think a 2nd was too much to give up, but what happens with Mariota now is irrelevant when it comes to evaluating the trade.

101. 101 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 7:27 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I don’t like it because of the 2nd, but also the price difference. The trade will always have a Earl Thomas vs Brandon Graham feel if Stl ends up with Bradford. And since the early reporting was that we got pick #10, it would be an extra kick in the teeth to have him be picked there.

102. 102 OldDuckMcDoc said at 7:32 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Early reporting is also irrelevant though. We never had the 10th. Inaccurate reporting doesn’t change that.

I’d have little problem with giving up a 2nd if the money difference was lower, and little problem with the money difference if we hadn’t given up a 2nd. I think Bradford’s substantially better than Foles. His injuries are a serious concern but it’s not like Foles was a picture of health.

103. 103 rockedupeaglefan said at 7:38 PM on March 28th, 2015:

But we did give up the 2nd and are paying more, so I think we actually agree its a bad deal. I agree Foles had his own issues, but that doesn’t mean I have to like this deal. I will associate the trade with MM if he falls to Stl and you don’t seem to agree. I’m not saying its totally rational, but thats how I feel. If MM goes early, as expected, it’s moot.

104. 104 OldDuckMcDoc said at 7:45 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Oh, it’s definitely a bad deal. I was just saying the Mariota thing has nothing to do with it being bad.

I will say I feel slightly better knowing CLE was willing to give up a first because at least we weren’t bidding against ourselves and it values Foles at around a second (which seems fair) if they had to beat that.

OTOH you never want to use the words “Cleveland would’ve done it too!” to justify a trade.

105. 105 rockedupeaglefan said at 7:54 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I just feel like the Marriotta thing would be the extra topping on top of a turd sandwich of a deal.

I was nodding along with the 2nd paragraph, then I cringed when I read the last part.

106. 106 Chris Lindeman said at 1:10 PM on March 29th, 2015:

How can you call it a bad deal? The kids hasn’t even put on our jersey yet. At least give it a season to see how things play out. Crying about a second Rd pick. In a draft that hasnt happened. If Bradford lights it up and stays healthy. Foles goes down or stinks it up. MM plays like J Russell, or even if the pick turns out to be used on a punter. You’ll be talking about what a genius Kelly is. How he fleeced the Rams. It’s short sighted and narrow minded to jump to finally conclusions now. Never mind presenting them as fact.

107. 107 Rockedupeaglesfan said at 3:33 PM on March 29th, 2015:

You think he will stay healthy and I don’t. Your quote above shows that.
    ” One who minus a knee issue, that can easily be put behind him, has very lil wear and tear. ”
    I think that’s crazy talk. You’re saying a guy who hasn’t played a lot, because he’s always injured, not because he’s a clip board holder, has “lil wear and tear.” You fail to mention the shoulder he injured twice in college, requiring surgery and an ankle that forced him to miss 6 games a few years ago. This is a guy with plenty of wear and tear.

108. 108 D3FB said at 5:05 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Best part of the video: Eagles have talked to Brian Blechen. Excellent.

109. 109 OldDuckMcDoc said at 7:19 PM on March 28th, 2015:

I’ve seen very little of Blechen. Have you done a write up on him already?

110. 110 D3FB said at 1:18 AM on March 29th, 2015:

No he’s a late day 3 guy/UDFA.

3 star QB recruit out of high school. 4 year starter. Tore ACL and took a redshirt in 2013. Named team captain as a senior (interesting to note he was and Rowe wasn’t). He flashes whenever you put Rowe tape on. He’s a poor mans Deone Buchannon from a tape perspective.

Most interesting thing about him is besides the fact that he would likely be a special teams standout is you really have some options with him. He’s 6’2 and somewhere between 220 and 230lbs. Reportedly ran a 4.74 40 and ran a sub 7 3-cone (which would be a good time for a corner). He has some experience in man coverage and is relatively decent at it.

Option 1: Get him to drop back down to 210-215lbs. Make him a full time safety. Hope that with the weight and it being his second year back from an ACL you get a little more athleticism out of him. You’re likely looking at this being a year long project with him being a good candidate to compete for a job in 2016.

Option 2: Make him a nickel LB. He’s played some hybrid nickel/safety/LB before. This is especially an attractive option if we do end up playing Meco this year. Downside is another roster spot being spent on a role player and special teams guy.

111. 111 OldDuckMcDoc said at 5:08 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Nice one, thanks. My only issue with using a roster spot on a guy who mosyly plays in obvious passing situations is that some teams are increasingly adept at not letting you sub those players back out.

Sounds like a decent late round pick up.

112. 112 D3FB said at 10:26 PM on March 29th, 2015:

I mean he’s 230lbs, in comparision our nickel LB last year was 205lbs Nolan Carrol.

113. 113 Donald Kalinowski said at 5:38 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Jarod Mayo- $9.7 mm/year
    Lawrence Timmons- $9.6mm/year
    NaVarro Bowman–$9.050mm/year
    Brian Cushing- $8.75mm/year
    James Lauranatis- $8.3mm/year
    Daryl Washington- $8m/year

I’m guessing that’s why the Eagles are looking to move Kendricks and are trying to find some replacement in the draft.

114. 114 CrackSammich said at 7:57 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Demeco is already making close to that and comes off the books next year. If they see that as a problem, then they sure don’t right now.

115. 115 NinjaP said at 5:52 PM on March 28th, 2015:

i honestly think we will end up getting Mariota in a few years after he busts out at his first stop.

116. 116 NinjaP said at 5:52 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Oh I suppose busts out could be taken as a positive, I meant busts as in he will suck.

117. 117 GermanEagle said at 6:39 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Let’s pretend Gregory falling to #20. Would YOU take a flier on him? Would he be a fit in our D?

I don’t think he’s on Chip’s draft board at all but it bears an interesting discussion.

118. 118 NinjaP said at 7:05 PM on March 28th, 2015:

He has the long frame and long arms chip covets.

119. 119 D3FB said at 7:09 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Pros: He’s 6’6, he’s explosive, he’s got some pass rush ability

Cons: He has little to no experience in coverage, he’s 235 at 6’6, he’s a major liability in the run game, his pass rush is still very raw, and he clearly has an affinity for marijuana which will get him suspended.

120. 120 Jarock said at 9:40 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Lose the addiction to Mary Jane and he’d be a steal. Too much raw ability to pass up. Sadly, I can see him becoming the next Josh Gordon for some team. Tease who ultimately disappoints over and over.

121. 121 D3FB said at 11:51 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Before the weed stuff he was a raw Aldon Smith from a talent perspective, but was already a high variance player, and the weight issue are a very real concern.

122. 122 MagsDaffyDilly said at 6:52 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Somewhere in the millions of words about why Chip MUST HAVE Mariota is the question, Why? If Mariota can only work in Chip’s ‘system’, then the alternate must be that Chip’s ‘system’ will only work with Mariota. We know that several QBs have already had some success with Chip so this cannot be true. Chip’s schemes perhaps call for a type of player, but so did Bill Walsh’s. Or Pete Carroll’s for that matter. Culture just might be more important than a currently famous name. ;~).
    Second, in the midst of the millions of words about how Chip will return to university coaching should he be unsuccessful in Philadelphia. Again, why? There are 31 other teams in the NFL. Probably the GMs and coaches of half of them admire Chip’s meticulous attention to detail and willingness to be unconventional. If he left the Eagles, he would have another NFL job in the blink of an eye.
    eg. Belichick moves into the GMs office and guess who becomes HC?

123. 123 Michael Winter Cho said at 11:29 PM on March 28th, 2015:

A good passer who can run would destroy NFL defenses in Chip’s system.

124. 124 Avery Greene said at 1:15 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Hundley fits that profile too, without giving up the farm.

125. 125 Michael Winter Cho said at 11:08 AM on March 29th, 2015:

If Hundley turns out as good as DF3B thinks, I’m game. Although, getting Peyton Manning with wheels in the system that would, Voltron-like, maximize his talents is tempting.

126. 126 Avery Greene said at 1:15 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Great points!

127. 127 BobSmith77 said at 1:56 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Because he never won a college title, would have a chance to rebuild his sullied repetition a bit since he left right before sanctions hit, and gets his choice of ‘cream of the crop’ jobs along with all of the perks & money that go with it.

If he goes back to college in 2 or 3 years too, he will likely mean he either outright failed here (never won a playoff game) or was underwhelming (1 or 2 playoff wins).

128. 128 GEAGLE said at 2:25 PM on March 29th, 2015:

lol yeah, chip just figured he would waltz right into the NFL, win a coupkle superbowls in his first 3 years, and if not stomp his feet like a brat and run back to college… you got it!!! makes perfect sense!

129. 129 BobSmith77 said at 2:27 PM on March 29th, 2015:

More hyperbole and nonsense and yeah I did think there is a good chance Kelly might leave in 2 years (a year early) if his stint as the GM backfires on him.

130. 130 Insomniac said at 7:53 PM on March 28th, 2015:

DT LETERRIUS WALTON
    CENTRAL MICHIGAN
    237: R7P20
    G JARVIS HARRISON
    TEXAS A&M

131. 131 Jason said at 10:05 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Isn’t the trade to move up that Kelly is holding in back pocket something like this:
    2015 Eagles first rounder (#20)
    2016 Eagles first rounder
    Sam Bradford (or CLE 2015 first rounder)
    Mychal Kendricks
    Brandon Boykin (or Vinny Curry)

Given the smoke around Kendricks and Boykin and keeping around Ryans w/o any restructure for the moment, this seems plausible w/o mortgaging the future. I think it would be acceptable to Chip.

I’d love to see Kendricks paired with Alonso and Boykin given a real shot to play outside, but I’d be willing to part with this package to get a QB ideal to run Kelly’s system.

I think those other teams have some interest n Mariota and some interest maximizing their return for him. But I think there is a chance that package gets it done.

132. 132 RobNE said at 10:55 PM on March 28th, 2015:

Do it.

133. 133 OregonDucker said at 11:26 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Interesting scenario.

134. 134 RobNE said at 12:23 PM on March 29th, 2015:

Is Jason another name you signed in under?

135. 135 eagleyankfan said at 1:51 PM on March 29th, 2015:

Wait – I thought you already hinted about Cox?

136. 136 OregonDucker said at 2:21 PM on March 29th, 2015:

Nope, but I know a team that asked for him. Some of the deal offers are killers. Regarding Cox, my response was “no comment”. Now you know the rest of it.

137. 137 eagleyankfan said at 5:17 PM on March 29th, 2015:

Thanks.

138. 138 Jason said at 11:34 PM on March 29th, 2015:

So, OD, I’m getting warm?

139. 139 OregonDucker said at 11:38 AM on March 30th, 2015:

Yep.

140. 140 Chris Lindeman said at 1:26 PM on March 29th, 2015:

Look at that list. I mean really look at it. A possible PB linebacker, a stud corner that hasnt reached his ceiling. Two firsts (major chunk of our future) and a quarterback that blew MM outta the water in a similar system. One who minus a knee issue, that can easily be put behind him, has very lil wear and tear. And is eager and hungry to prove himself. You’ d really give all that.?! That’s ridiculous. For shame. Glad I’m reading about you here and not as GM in the papers.

141. 141 Avery Greene said at 12:13 AM on March 29th, 2015:

I have a couple questions, because I don’t know.

1 – He didn’t mention Travis Long as ILB. Does this mean he’s on the outside?

2 – I see Kendricks/Kiko as the starters. Ryans I guess is the alt/1st up as well as player/coach-ish type of role. So does this mean some of those other ILBs will be considered on the outside?

3 – Since I made the previous assumption, wouldn’t Kendricks/Kiko be the better starting pair?

Now on to some late questions.

4 – Chip is looking at Tebow and other QBs. Is this a smokescreen? Is he upset with Barkley? Or is he just looking for every upgrade possible?

Lastly…

5 – Is anyone else okay with trade backs in the 1st?

142. 142 D3FB said at 12:58 AM on March 29th, 2015:

1. Long is an OLB. He was a DE in college. He’s never played ILB except for a game or two late in preseason, in a hey go run around and have fun kind of role.

2. No. 34 OLB and 34 ILB are very different positions. It’s not like the Mike, Sam, and Will in a 43 all of whom are typically off the ball players. Only the ILB’s in a 34 are off the ball players. The 34 OLBs play on the line. They are more similar to 43 DE’s than 34 ILBs.

3. Yes Kiko and Kendricks are a very good pair of starting ILB, but there really does seem to be some fire with some of the smoke regarding Kendricks.
    – Of the ILB’s Chip has brought in, only Goode is shorter than 6’2.
    -Ray Diddy has said the team isn’t as high as him as the fanbase is
    -We’ve been doing more than just kicking the tires on some ILBs that are going to go pretty high in this draft, and considering we have 2 good starters and pretty darn good depth, that’s weird
    -Mecos continued presence.

4. I think it more has to do with the team not being very high on Barkley at this point. For the most part you kind of want QB3 to be able to be your backup by his third year. Obviously with paying decent money to Sanchez, they don’t feel that way about Barkley. I think the team wants to replace him, Kinnie isn’t an in house option to do so, so they are looking at bring in someone to beat him out in camp.

5. Depends on who is available and what we get back in picks. If Scherff, Clemmings, Parker, Strong, Waynes, Dupree, Fowler are all gone I’m fine moving back.

143. 143 Avery Greene said at 1:12 AM on March 29th, 2015:

🙂 Thanks!

144. 144 mksp said at 9:51 AM on March 29th, 2015:

You’re higher on Strong and Waynes than I would think. I’m fine moving back with those guys on the board.

145. 145 Mitchell said at 10:34 AM on March 29th, 2015:

I’m surprised you wouldn’t pull the trigger on Strong because you are always singing prospects due to “hands.”

146. 146 mksp said at 2:45 PM on March 29th, 2015:

I was right about Benjamin! Moncreif did all right last year, but real small sample size. I’ll be right about Coates too. 😉

I like Strong okay, but I wouldn’t lose sleep over losing him if we pick up another pick by trading back.

147. 147 Mitchell said at 5:11 PM on March 29th, 2015:

And I was right about OBJ being a superstar.

148. 148 BreakinAnklez said at 12:29 PM on March 30th, 2015:

What were you right about with Benjamin? That he had drop issues?

149. 149 D3FB said at 11:11 PM on March 29th, 2015:

Waynes is the best corner not named Peters in the draft, so he’s effectively CB1 on our board. He’s a bit light and like all MSU CB’s a bit grabby but he can run and press and isn’t afraid to stick his nose in there to make a tackle.

I’m not devastated if we don’t get Strong but I think he’s worth pick 20. He’s got great ball skills, decent speed, a good blocker, and some RAC ability.

150. 150 NinjaP said at 1:22 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Maybe chip wants 3 starting ILB because demeco in year 1 played the most snaps of any defender in the nfl and was probably on pace to repeat that before the injury. Maybe chip and billy feel if they can rotate kiko in and give demeco and mychal drives off it could benefit their play for the whole year.

151. 151 A_T_G said at 1:15 PM on March 29th, 2015:

Or, maybe Billy is going to use three athletic ILBs at the same time and only one safety. Put DeMeco a step up into the A-gap and Alonzo and Kendricks a step back with a single safety. Replace a weakness with a strength.

152. 152 anon said at 1:58 PM on March 29th, 2015:

kendricks constantly missses time, kiko / meco coming off severe injuries – i think given the drop off in play last year after meco went down and when kendricks was out made them want another starter.

problem is what about goode? i thought he was pretty good when he played but seems like he’s never going to see the field now.

153. 153 Pennguino said at 3:16 PM on March 29th, 2015:

4. At first I just rolled my eyes and scoffed when I heard Tebow was in for a visit. But then I looked at it again. He can fill your emergency 3rd QB role. He can play special teams. He can be you active 4th string RB/TE. Basically you can save a roster spot or two by adding him.

5. Definitely. Good day two value

154. 154 ac134spectre said at 3:12 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Why would you get a rookie QB to go with a Vet RB? Given the conventional wisdom and the pick up of Bradford… means he is going with Bradford?

What is that Assimov’ism… It pays to be obvious especially when you have a reputation for subtlety.

155. 155 GEAGLE said at 9:33 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Round 1 Pick 27 (DAL): Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State (A)
    Round 2 Pick 28 (DAL): Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon (A)
    Round 3 Pick 3 (JAX): Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut (A)
    Round 3 Pick 20: Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami (Fla.) (B)
    Round 4 Pick 4 (JAX): Jesse James, TE, Penn State (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Eric Rowe, CB/FS, Utah (A-)
    Round 5 Pick 9: Chris Conley, WR, Georgia (C-)
    Round 5 Pick 20: Clayton Geathers, SS, UCF (B-)
    This puts an end to the Jeff Maehl era!

156. 156 Anders said at 9:54 AM on March 29th, 2015:

Would be crazy to get Jones and Fisher that late and Rowe is an early 2nd round target right now

157. 157 GEAGLE said at 9:58 AM on March 29th, 2015:

yeah unfortunately the game hasnt updated the prospect value.. It could have been way worse, for example I had to pass on drafting Devin Smith late in the 3rd because him falling that far is so crazy

158. 158 GEAGLE said at 9:51 AM on March 29th, 2015:

“Oh, I don’t think Mariota will be the quarterback,” he said. “But there’s a lot of things this offseason that have been surprising, so I’m not gonna rule anything out. But I think that from what Chip [Kelly’s] been saying in the media and from what the organization’s putting out there, I’d be surprised if they still made a move for Mariota.”-Kelce
    Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/03/29/three-leftovers-kelce-working-with-bradford/#5MigkFRdyRLLA7Tr.99

good read, Kelce is always willing to speak openly. Gives his thoughts on Bradford, and the offseason

159. 159 Insomniac said at 12:25 PM on March 29th, 2015:

@ D3FB

What’s your safety rankings for this years draft?

160. 160 D3FB said at 11:07 PM on March 29th, 2015:

1. Poop
    2. Crap
    3. Nate Allen
    4. Help us jesus
    5. We’re screwed

There’s not a safety in this class that I feel confident in saying will be a starter in this league 100%. It’s a bunch of guys who have some pro’s and con’s and it’s comes down to skill set.

For me its:
    2nd-3rd Round:
    Quinton Rollins, Steven Nelson, Kurtis Drummond

4th-5th Round
    Geathers, Amos, Harris

161. 161 Tumtum said at 12:53 PM on March 29th, 2015:

What if the skins draft him and cut RG3? Any eagles fans interested?

162. 162 Insomniac said at 1:07 PM on March 29th, 2015:

I would be. Bring him in for camp and start a QB competition. Bradford is on a one year deal until further notice. The question is..is RG3 a culture fit though?

163. 163 Pennguino said at 2:20 PM on March 29th, 2015:

I would be. If you take away the foreskin’s drama and just look at Bob. He was a great talent coming out. Had a sensational rookie campaign and then everything went south.
    People stumble and fall. I would like to see him in a better environment with better coaching. He needs his confidence back and a better environment.
    It’s a two way street. He needs to sign a two year deal. If they are taking the time and effort to rebuild this young man then they should be able to reap the rewards.

164. 164 GEAGLE said at 2:21 PM on March 29th, 2015:

no… if you are a better runner then passer, you shouldnt be allowed to play QB in this city… we have enough invested in the RB position, lets get some QBs that actually know how to pass against NFL defenses

165. 165 eagleyankfan said at 1:53 PM on March 29th, 2015:

6’0 is big and tall? My definition of big and tall are certainly a lot different than this definition…

166. 166 ACViking said at 4:11 PM on March 30th, 2015:

this

167. 167 Cafone said at 1:48 AM on March 31st, 2015:

Tonight’s pre-draft blast from the past: The Case for Marcus Smith: http://igglesblitz.com/2014/04/case-marcus-smith/

I’m still crossing my fingers. He may never make it, but he seems to have his head in the right place. I don’t think he will be another Danny Watkins.