Draft Talk Begins

Posted: January 23rd, 2016 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 239 Comments »

We know the coaching staff. That means it is time to turn our attention to the team.

We don’t exactly know what the team needs are for now since we haven’t seen the Eagles make cuts and free agent moves. I think it would be fair to say that QB, OL and WR are key areas. And with the Eagles moving to the 4-3, there will be a need for DL depth.

All star games are getting underway today. The Shrine Game is at 4pm on the NFL Network. I wrote about the Shrine Game and some interesting players here. That was a generic piece and not Eagles-centric.

The NFLPA Game is on ESPN2 at 6pm. Here are the rosters for that.

The Shrine Game is a mixture of a few mid-rounders, some late rounders and plenty of UDFAs. The NFLPA game is a few late rounders, mostly UDFAs and some guys who will be playing the final football game of their lives. To put things in Eagles terms, Earl Wolff was at the Shrine Game and Matt Tobin was at the NFLPA game.

As much as you want to focus on positions, in games like these, focus on the best players.

The Senior Bowl practices start on Tuesday. That’s the big game and the one where you can look for talent and positions. I’ll be heading down on Monday.  I will write about some players to watch in the next day or two. ESPN will televise the practices and the NFL Network will have nightly practice recaps.

I posted some random draft notes the other day. I can’t recall if I linked to them so here they are.

One thing I am excited about is now finding 1-gap defenders for the Eagles.

That excites me.

All kinds of oddball rumors going around Twitter today. Be careful who you trust at this time of the year. And make sure you aren’t getting fooled by a fake Twitter account.

The best piece of advice…if the news doesn’t pass the smell test, it probably isn’t true.

239 Comments on “Draft Talk Begins”

1. 1 BobSmith77 said at 3:33 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

What are the chances the Eagles take a defensive player though with their 1st pic? Tend to think their look towards offense regardless of what plays play out with Bradford.

I’d argue strongly they could take a RB/TE/WR/OL and that each of them will be a ‘need’ next year.

2. 2 Fufina said at 4:29 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

If one of the elite pass rushers is there at 13 and you do not love the QB available think you jump all over them.

Can find quality interior OL in the 3rd. lot less likely to find elite pass rushers there (which makes a Schwartz defense).

3. 3 b3nz0z said at 3:48 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Tommy I read your draft notes about Connor Cook; where would you be happy with us picking him? 4th? 5th? would that be higher if he did play the senior bowl?

4. 4 Dave said at 4:06 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

My understanding is that he is not well liked by his coaches or teammates. Evidently, he makes Jay Cutler seems like a real nice guy.

5. 5 Perma_guest said at 5:11 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Did you see him rip that MVP award out of Archie Griffin’s hands without even acknowledging him? Guy seems like a complete douche.

6. 6 Media Mike said at 5:16 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

He’s brutal. And not really that good of a QB to be honest.

7. 7 Allen3000 said at 4:18 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I’m lost…Can someone elaborate on what ‘oddball rumors’ are being put out there today?

8. 8 Dave said at 4:20 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Josh Huff wants to be traded according to Eckel. Josh denied claim a few hours later.

9. 9 Allen3000 said at 4:49 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

If true, I’d be a bit a bit perplexed since he’s done absolutely nothing to earn that sense of entitlement.

10. 10 Dave said at 4:19 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

My ideal draft is contingent upon resigning Sam to a long term deal. Then I would draft 8 offensive lineman and hope for a 50% success rate. I’d replace everyone except Lane, who would be moved to the left side. All it takes is one subpar lineman to destroy the offense. Anyone remember Hank “Honey Buns” Fraley getting consistently blown up by Richard Seymour in the Superbowl, just like Kelce for much of this year.

As a side note, Kelce seems like an outstanding person and real team player. I just hope that doesn’t sway Pederson from looking for his replacement this year. He was an absolute liability this season. Making mental mistakes is one thing, getting blown up like an undersized long-snapper is about lack of strength and size.

11. 11 FairOaks said at 6:14 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

And perhaps it was due to worrying about the guys next to you and not fully preparing for the guy incoming from across the line. Or do you really think he was in physical decline at age 27/28 this year?

I think given the cohesion problems on the OL, the tempo really really hurt this year. Lot of false starts etc. all along the line — don’t think we gave our own offense enough time to deal.

12. 12 The original AG said at 6:59 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

After all my bitching about Kelce this year, I’d like to see him come back with about 20 extra pounds of muscle. I think it will help him against the bigger DTs they put over top of him at times.

If so, I think he can clean up the mental mistakes he had all year.

13. 13 Media Mike said at 7:02 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

How soon after that does the 4 game PED suspension hit?

I’d rather take a center in the 2nd or 3rd round and have him start over Kelce in 2017. Kelce has a ton of work to do before I’ll ever trust him again.

14. 14 The original AG said at 7:07 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Can he add 10 lbs of muscle without PEDs?

15. 15 Media Mike said at 7:10 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I’m not even sure it the weight is an issue. D3 already pointed out he’s 300lbs. I think he either can’t or won’t do the weight room work to add the functional strength necessary for playing C in the NFL.

16. 16 The original AG said at 7:11 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Then he’s gotta go.

17. 17 Dave said at 7:09 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Is he not maxed out in weight? I though Chip measured his ankles 😉

18. 18 The original AG said at 7:10 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

LOL

19. 19 Media Mike said at 7:14 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Classic.

20. 20 Baloophi said at 4:30 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

SEND TOMMY TO THE SENIOR BOWL!
    Fellow Igglesblitzarians –

It’s the time of year when our very own Tommy Lawlor stumbles out of the tobacco stalks of North Carolina on his annual trek to the Senior Bowl to scout draft prospects, haze Bryce Petty, trail a weaving Rex Ryan in his rental car, and initiate his very own power struggle with Howie Roseman on the sideline.

This will be his fifth trip to the nation’s premiere all-star event where representatives from the Eagles will scrutinize the country’s top senior talent in hopes of unearthing the next maddening disappointment (SEE Hunt, Tony). Like other bloggers, Tommy will patrol the sidelines during the practices and post his observations, but unlike the rest he won’t have the luxury of expensing his trip. That’s where we come in…

CHALLENGE: If we can generate 45 donations (one for every point Tampa/Detroit scored on us), I will donate $200 ($1 for every crushing third down drop!). Any donation, large or small, will go a long way toward helping Tommy out. Think of it as buying him a beer in exchange for his unique, on the-ground reporting that we all enjoy so much.

To participate in this year’s Senior Bowl Challenge simply click on the “Donate” button along the right hand banner of the page (underneath the “Blog Roll”), give any amount, and then reply to this comment. No need to post how much you gave, simply that you have. And if you’re unable to donate at this time, please consider an up-vote so we can get eyeballs on this son of a gun.

Hard to believe that just last year we were looking for an OT and a CB. Now we just need an OT and a CB, QB, WR, TE, GM, mascot, JUGS machine, and a defensive philosophy…

Fly Iggles Fly!

21. 21 TXEaglesFan said at 4:59 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done. And what about replacements for fly swatter and trash can?

22. 22 Baloophi said at 5:05 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

THANK YOU! I believe Lurie released fly swatter but wisely kept Trash Can… ironically, you don’t kick that guy the curb.

23. 23 BobSmith77 said at 11:41 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Also new play calling signal signs, new smoothie recipes, and a deep fryer back in their kitchen facilities.

24. 24 DanJ3645 said at 5:19 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Donated.

25. 25 Baloophi said at 5:21 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Thanks, Dan!

26. 26 A_T_G said at 5:19 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done! And I must say, since I clicked that final donate button it seems the winds have shifted and the snow is blowing off the driveway. Remarkable.

Is the rumor true that if we gather 50 donations Tommy will personally guarantee our first round pick collects more tackles next season than Marcus Smith has in his career, even if we pick a QB?

27. 27 Baloophi said at 5:23 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I can’t confirm or deny such rumors, but one would hope that’s the case.

Imagine if Paxton Lynch leads the team in tackles next year… a lot would have to go wrong, but at least we’d have a first round stat machine!

28. 28 Alex Karklins said at 5:28 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done! Will Jimmy ‘Bama ride shotgun?

29. 29 Baloophi said at 5:38 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Scary thought! Thanks, AK!

30. 30 Koy: The Legend of Neckbeard said at 5:33 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done! Thanks for organizing as always, Baloophi.

31. 31 Baloophi said at 5:38 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Ahoy, Koy!

32. 32 daveH said at 5:38 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I donated while i was over water
    Over water dudes

33. 33 Baloophi said at 5:39 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Mile High Five, DaveH!

34. 34 A_T_G said at 7:23 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Does this mean you were on the toilet with your iPad?

35. 35 daveH said at 7:33 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Yep

36. 36 daveH said at 7:34 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Samsung phone actually .. never been cool enough for apple

37. 37 GaEagle1023 - Tom said at 5:50 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done. Pics of Meghan Fox please

38. 38 daveH said at 6:11 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Before or after the face work?
    Did olivia Munn get facework done? Hope not and its only a bit of aging

39. 39 Baloophi said at 6:40 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Thanks, 1023!

40. 40 GaEagle1023 - Tom said at 7:33 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

My Pleasure!

41. 41 damccomas said at 6:43 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done

42. 42 Baloophi said at 6:45 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Thanks, damccomas!

43. 43 pkeagle said at 7:09 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done – well done Baloophi (as always)

44. 44 Baloophi said at 7:29 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Thanks, PK!

45. 45 scratcherk said at 8:44 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done, enough for a selfie stick.

46. 46 Baloophi said at 1:35 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Yes, scratch! Let’s hope Tommy uses it to grab a shot with Howie!

47. 47 BobSmith77 said at 11:39 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Done.

48. 48 Baloophi said at 1:34 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Thanks, Bob!

49. 49 FairOaks said at 12:31 PM on January 24th, 2016:

Donated while resting from shoveling…

50. 50 Baloophi said at 2:14 PM on January 24th, 2016:

Thanks, FairOaks!

51. 51 Fufina said at 4:44 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Wow Mayock and Jeremiah are all in on Wentz. Both think he goes as the first QB in this draft once all process has worked through. I really like the YouTube i have seen of him… but damn i still had him behind Goff and more of a no.7-15 type guy not a top 2 pick.

52. 52 Media Mike said at 5:05 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

If that pushes Goff down…………….

53. 53 ACViking said at 5:16 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Wentz better be pretty damn good.

In the past 20 years, the highest drafted QB from a non-Div I school is Joe Flacco at 18th to the Ravens. And Flacco was a premium HS recruit.

And even if he’s first off the board, is Wentz worthy of a top 5 pick? Or top 10?

54. 54 Media Mike said at 5:17 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Great questions……………and we’re sitting here on Jan 23rd. A lot to be determined.

55. 55 ACViking said at 5:18 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

T-Law’s written before, I think, that for a non-Division I player to be drafted, let alone selected in the first round, that player must be absolutely dominant in college.

56. 56 Dave said at 5:47 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

North Dakota State is Division I, they are the 5x defending national champs. Wentz is eerily similar size-wise to Big Ben and Joe Flacco, who both also played Division I football. They were drafted 11th and 18th respectively. Seeing how they played in the NFL with their size and arm strength really makes a strong case for Wentz.

57. 57 Media Mike said at 5:52 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Ben was D-1A at a MAC conference school. Wentz, like Flacco at Delaware, was D-1AA.

There is a big difference there.

58. 58 Dave said at 6:25 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

MM, I don’t understand you. You want the Eagles to draft Wentz, but then admonish him as a high draft pick because he is plays for an FCS school but believe his value is more mid- to late-round 1 pick. What if the Eagles had the 2nd pick in the draft and loved Wentz. Should they trade back to take him where he is valued and risk losing him, or just take him at #2 overall?

BTW, I am not a draft guru or a QB expert. I really have no opinion of any of the QBs as I really haven’t seen them play much and will rely on observations by scouts and media personnel more equipped than I. I just think that the value of a potential franchise QB coupled with the lowered rookie salary scales makes drafting a Div I FCS QB high not as risky as it sounds.

59. 59 Media Mike said at 6:29 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I am interested in the Eagles drafting him at whatever point they decided he’s worth it if they like him, but I don’t understand why you’re pushing QBs all the way up the board to multiple teams that won’t be inclined to take them.

60. 60 Fufina said at 6:36 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Oh i agree, Dallas wont take a QB… they will try to have 1 final try with Romo same with the Saints and Brees. Who knows what Chip does with 49ers.

Think Rams and Texans will be jumpy for a QB’s but will be really interesting to see how it plays out.

61. 61 bill said at 6:40 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Yeah, no team has ever drafted a QB in the first with an aging star at QB. And it makes even less sense if that aging star is unlikely to ever play 10 games in a season again. You absolutely should never think of drafting his replacement before he retires.

62. 62 Media Mike said at 6:41 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Were any of those teams in “win-now” mode like Dallas and New Orleans will be?

63. 63 bill said at 6:42 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Hint: the best QB in the league. And the team we all root for.

64. 64 Media Mike said at 6:43 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

The Eagles took a first round QB with an existing star starter?

When?

Same for New England. When?

65. 65 bill said at 6:45 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

ok, arguably Brady is better than Rodgers, but statistically, the guy who has been unreal since he took over as starter is, IMO, the best in the league. And Kevin Kolb was not technically in the first, but he was pretty darn close under the circumstances. And those were before the rules changed to make them a lower risk cap-wise.

66. 66 Media Mike said at 6:48 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Correct. Kolb was NOT a first round pick.

And Rodgers was taken late in the first round after he went into free fall and presented a value too good to ignore when Green Bay was on the close. Andrew Brandt has written at length about it.

And I’m not disparaging the concept of teams doing what you’re saying, I’m just saying the premise that Dallas and the Saints are going to so this year with high first round picks is specious at best.

67. 67 bill said at 6:50 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I agree with Saints. If I’m the ‘Boys, I’m drafting QB in the first if there’s one at my pick that I think will develop into Romo’s replacement and can spell him for his inevitable missed games for the next few years, especially considering how cheap($) such a pick will be compared to what a decent veteran backup will cost.

68. 68 Media Mike said at 6:51 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

But if you’re Jerry do you do that? Especially if you think you’re going to get a ROY type player at #4 who is going to push your team into a title game?

69. 69 bill said at 6:54 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

It doesn’t seem like Jerry’s been in charge of the draft the last few years. But even if he is, yes. Most important position not just on the field but also in terms of marketing. Jerry doesn’t want to have a single year where he’s trotting out a loser as his starting QB on opening day if he can avoid it.

70. 70 Media Mike said at 6:57 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

We’ll see, but Dallas has the chance to add a starter who, in their minds, would push their team to deep playoff run right now. I think they don’t pass on that at 4.

71. 71 bill said at 7:09 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I think they realize that Tony’s not starting 16 games ever again. They need a 1a behind him. Not going to find that in FA, but even if you could, they couldn’t afford it. Hence, the pick that will put them back in the playoffs is most likely a high end QB.

72. 72 Media Mike said at 7:13 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I think you and I can realize that, but they keep converting that dude’s $ to a bonus and pushing out cap charge into bad dead money down the line. I still think they’re more likely to ride or die with him this year and drafting a player another position.

73. 73 The original AG said at 7:18 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Let’s hope they do draft one and it fails. Always hope for the worst with that team.

74. 74 Media Mike said at 7:22 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I’m hoping they take the Ole Miss window jumper.

75. 75 bill said at 6:52 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I also find it funny that people think the demand for QBs means that average at best Bradford is going to be in high demand enough to create a massive salary, but that the lack of demand for QBs means that no one is going to be willing to draft a cheap QB in the early first.

76. 76 Media Mike said at 6:56 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I hear what you’re saying, but it has been a few years since multiple teams got QB wacky in the top 15.

And Bradford would be rated higher than any QB in this draft.

77. 77 bill said at 6:56 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Then why would anyone want to dump Bradford in exchange for any QB in this draft?

78. 78 Media Mike said at 6:59 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I don’t know if they would, but we’re not talking a team with a top pick potentially signing Bradford in lieu of drafting a QB. The team to which Bradford is linked are picking later on.

My point is that NFL draft pick Bradford of 2010 would be rated higher than the guys in this draft.

79. 79 Dave said at 6:36 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Jerry Jones made it clear they will be drafting a QB this year. He saw his team fall apart without Romo, who will be 36 in the spring and has multiple surgeries on his back and collarbone. Cleveland needs a QB and made it clear that Manziel is done. Brees is 37 years old and injury prone. That’t not pushing anything.

80. 80 Media Mike said at 6:38 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

He also made it clear he thinks he has a team that should go on a Super Bowl run if healthy. They’re going to want a day one starter to put with the existing team and they’ll take a developmental prospect with a later pick.

81. 81 Media Mike said at 6:39 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

And the Saints just drafted a QB last year in Garrett Grayson. Payton was almost traded away by the team, but they chose to bring him back. He’ll also want a day one talent to help him win now. That isn’t a QB.

82. 82 Julescat said at 6:41 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

what about Johnny Football?

83. 83 Media Mike said at 6:42 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

He’ll be in Dallas. Book it. That doesn’t preclude them from taking a guy in later rounds however.

84. 84 Dave said at 6:50 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

what about him?

85. 85 FairOaks said at 6:51 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

They have an obscene amount of cap tied up in Romo. Not sure they can afford a high 1st round pick as a backup. I’m sure they will draft one in later rounds though. They may well also take a flier on Manziel or RGIII.

86. 86 Media Mike said at 6:52 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I think they can afford it due to how little these guys get paid. I just don’t think rd 1 QB fits Jerry’s mindset that he’s got a title run team.

87. 87 FairOaks said at 6:57 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

#4 pick last year got 4 years, $22.7M; $14.8M signing bonus. It’s not chump change that high in the first round, and they still have massive amounts of cap account for already-paid bonuses to Romo in future years. You’d also basically be putting a hard deadline on Romo’s years there. I really don’t see them jumping at QB at #4 unless they have a guy rated sky-high. Now if there is a decently looking QB still there in the second round, they could do that.

88. 88 bill said at 6:59 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Romo’s back has set a hard deadline. 2 years would be an absolute miracle.

89. 89 Media Mike said at 7:00 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Well whoever they’re taking they’re going to cost that much, but I think the talent potential of another player at 4 outweighs taking the QB of the future.

90. 90 Dave said at 9:48 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

This Cowboys blog seems to think anqb in round 1 is possible…

91. 91 Media Mike said at 6:06 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Here is the college of every player on an NFL roster in 2015.

That isn’t to say that Wentz couldn’t go #2 overall to Cleveland if they figure out he’s the guy, but to think a guy at the 1-AA (FCS) level is going to be viewed as true “Division 1” is nonsensical. There simply aren’t a ton of guys from 1-AA schools in the NFL.

92. 92 Dave said at 6:14 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Big Ben and Flacco don’t think it’s nonsensical, neither do the Steelers or the Ravens.

93. 93 Media Mike said at 6:16 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

IT ISN’T THE SAME LEVEL! Do you have any idea how few 1-AA players even get drafted every year, let alone in round 1? Flacco went mid first round.

Big Ben DID NOT PLAY ON THE SAME LEVEL AS FLACCO; he played at a MAC conference school that is a true D1 mid major.

There is a ton of difference there.

94. 94 Dave said at 6:31 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Then why do you want the Eagles to draft Wentz in the first round? You are making a strong case why he should be a mid third-round pick, not mid-1st rounder.

95. 95 Media Mike said at 6:33 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I’m discussing your mis-characterization of how early this year’s crop of QBs will go along with trying to get you to use the proper terminology with levels of origin of historically drafted players.

96. 96 Dave said at 6:50 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I guess we’ll find out in April if I mis-characterized the importance of the QB position.

BTW, would it surprise you if I told you that North Dakota State has 7 players in the NFL right now while Miami Ohio only has 4.

97. 97 Media Mike said at 6:54 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Nobody said “importance.”

And for ND State having more NFL players than Miami of Ohio; that’s great.

But it doesn’t change the numerical facts about I-AA draft picks.

98. 98 Dave said at 7:08 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I’m not sure you can compare the 5x defending national champs to all the other Division I FCS schools. That’s like comparing Alabama to Southern Alabama since they’re both FBS schools.

99. 99 Dave said at 7:21 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I said importance, a word that seems to be overlooked on why teams could draft QBs high.

Statistics are great, but scouts are more important.

100. 100 FairOaks said at 6:25 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Roethlisberger played in D-1A, not 1-AA. Flacco did play at 1-AA but he did spend three years in a 1-A program (Pitt), and was recruited by 1-A teams — not like his talent hadn’t been seen earlier. Wentz may still be very good but he’s bucking longer odds than either of those two.

101. 101 Dave said at 6:27 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Wentz was recruited by the defending FCS national champs and led them to 2 titles. That’s not exactly chopped liver.

102. 102 ACViking said at 6:46 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Big Ben is Div I.

Miami of Ohio is in the MAC. That’s is D-1.

Not Flacco. Not Wentz.

103. 103 Ray888 said at 11:28 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Didn’t Flacco have at least a yr at Pitt before transferring to Del.?

104. 104 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 5:36 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I still think Jonathan Jennings is worth a look. Small school, tried out for Green Bay, who really doesn’t need a QB!, has some pro experience now. Head Coach in 2015, Jeff Tedford, coached some pretty good future NFL players while, he was at Cal. Think Aaron. Rogers and Marshawn Lynch for two. The newspaper piece is a bit lengthy, but think maybe a Russell Wilson-type? Btw, during the game described, when Jennings got his first start, he also caught a TD pass!

105. 105 Dave said at 5:48 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Delaware is Division I

106. 106 Media Mike said at 5:56 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I-AA
    Big difference.

107. 107 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 5:00 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Speaking of Free Agents. One less offensive lineman available now. Had a year of injury then a year as a pro.

For Colin Kelly, an NFL contract was a belated Christmas and birthday present and gave him plenty of reason to celebrate on New Year’s Eve.
    Kelly, who started at right tackle for the Ottawa CFL team through all of last season, agreed to a deal with the San Francisco 49ers late in 2015.

Last year the Eagles tried him out. Too late now.

108. 108 ACViking said at 5:02 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

T-Law:

No QB in this draft is close to Newton, Luck, Winston, or Mariotta (right?).

So would you expect that none of the 3 best QBs in this year’s draft — Goff, Lynch, Wentz — get drafted at the top of the first round?

I’d thought NFL teams learned their lesson from the 2011 draft … which had Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder going in the top 12.

109. 109 Media Mike said at 5:09 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

That’s going to be an ongoing battle. I’ve got people swearing to me that QBs go at 2 to Cleveland, 4 to Dallas, 7 to San Fran, 12 to the Saints, and the Rams trading in front of the Eagles to all get QBs.

I think it might be easier if all of these doom and gloom types who are all predicting the worst possible outcome for the Eagles in this draft in relation to adding a QB of choice would simply wander off in the snow and not be heard from again if they’re that sad.

110. 110 ACViking said at 5:12 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

That’s excellent at a couple levels

111. 111 Dave said at 5:39 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I’m not doom and gloom at all, just being realistic. You act like teams actually look at RGIII and Manziel as viable options, that’s not being realistic.

112. 112 ACViking said at 5:46 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Over-drafting a QB in Rd 1 can set back a franchise for several years. Look at 2011 draft.

This draft may present that issue for GMs at the top of Rd 1.

Geno Smith was the best in 2013. But teams waited on him.

All just idle musing at this point.

113. 113 Fufina said at 5:51 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

It did in the old CBA, now you just loose 2 years developing a guy who you come to the conclusion is not it and you have to go in a different direction. Missing on 1 pick does not hurt you long term as long as you draft well with other picks.

114. 114 ACViking said at 6:43 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I did not mean moneywise. What I meant is, drafting a quarterback in the first round, especially early, generally means a team is going to give that quarterback three years or so. It is the time commitment that can set back a franchise.

115. 115 Dave said at 5:52 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Not having a franchise QB means you are not competing for a Superbowl at all.

116. 116 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 5:43 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

117. 117 bill said at 5:59 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I kinda feel the same way about people who think that as long as you draft them in the 1st round, they’re guaranteed to be a franchise QB. You just have to want them to.

118. 118 Media Mike said at 6:00 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Yup. A lot of busts up and down the board. Taking a guy early is going to make him more likely to succeed than a guy you take late, but there is a lot that goes into making a guy successful.

119. 119 Dan in Philly said at 5:18 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

The Eagles have not been riding a hot streak when it comes to first round draft picks lately. I read some early evaluations and Smith and Algholar have both been rated as the least productive members of the first round over the past 2 years. Or maybe its coaching, I don’t know.

120. 120 Fufina said at 5:22 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Well Chip did not seem to be a guy who pushed rookies onto the playing field…. Smith is a bust at this point (but as a raw project who knows if the light comes on in the future) but Algholar had injuries which slowed him down most of the season.. but he flashed NFL WR ability so i will give a pass to this point.

121. 121 Dave said at 5:32 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Smith is a bust like Brandon Graham…never given an opportunity. He looked great after Chip was fired. Coincidence, I think not.

122. 122 jshort said at 6:54 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

He looked lost, for the most part with the playing time he received during the season. Don’t know what happened in the last game. Did the light go on? Don’t know, have to see how he plays next season. BG progress was slowed by injury.

123. 123 Media Mike said at 7:03 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Smith is going to get a chance to be turned loose as an attacking DE in Schwartz’s scheme. If he can’t thrive under those circumstances………………….. bleep him.

124. 124 Dave said at 8:07 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I really think Chip killed his confidence. How else could a LB not even be on special teams.

125. 125 FairOaks said at 8:19 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

He made the occasional mistake, but I don’t remember it being rampant.

He got about 130 snaps this year, total. 35 in the last game alone. Don’t think that’s near enough to really develop. He was really only given a chance in that last game. Rookies are going to screw up from time to time. You just hope they flash, but with that few plays…

Maybe he sucks, maybe he’s worse in practice than in real games, or maybe Kelly was not playing him out of spite. He’s definitely athletic.

He was better in coverage though than rushing the passer. You do wonder how well he’d do in a 4-3.

126. 126 Joe Minx said at 9:43 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

One game. Let’s not jump to conclusions.

127. 127 Dave said at 9:55 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I think my conclusion is accurate. Chip tended to shit on rookies and young players until he thought they were better than the vets in front of them. For example, Ertz sat behind Celek because he couldn’t block as good. Instead of giving him game reps and training Chip sat him on the bench and slowed his development.

Who knows what Smith would have done if any injury would have forced him into a starting role for a hole season.

128. 128 P_P_K said at 10:57 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Ertz playing behind Celek was pitiful. Once Zach got his reps and opportunities, he showed he was clearly the superior TE.

129. 129 nicolajNN said at 5:23 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Regarding the need for WR. While the position was a major factor in the struggles last year, given what has been invested there the past couple of years, and that those young players have shown some promise, wouldn’t it make sense to not make that too much of a priority this year?

Furthermore I would ague that it isn’t a position of major importance, and that you can get by with less there provided you have a good QB/OL and TE or RB

130. 130 jshort said at 5:52 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Yea, but most of us guys would prefer a shiny new speedy sports car that can CATCH a gals attention.

131. 131 Media Mike said at 5:55 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

11-5 w/ Torrance Small and Charles Johnson.
    11-5, 12-4, and 12-4 w/ Todd Stinkston and James Trash.

And that was in an NFL where it was much harder to get open prior to the tightening of the 5 yard chuck rule.

132. 132 P_P_K said at 10:55 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I hope we will be set at WR based on Ertz getting a real shot at fulfilling his stud potential, and Matthew and Agholar taking the next step. So I agreein principle — put the resources elsewhere.

133. 133 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 5:25 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

No comment.

134. 134 Dave said at 5:30 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Multimillion dollar industry with part-time referees that have other full-time jobs. Afraid to make them full time because they will unionize and then can’t be fired. Only in America.

135. 135 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 5:39 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Probably not only in America. Check out some soccer officials elsewhere! Of course, they sometimes get murdered, literally, so could be tough to recruit!

136. 136 ACViking said at 6:34 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Officials already unionized.

137. 137 Media Mike said at 6:35 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

And thankfully so.

138. 138 Dave said at 6:39 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I believe Peter King had an article last month explaining that as long as they were part-time, they could be fired for performance issues. He said the owners will not make them full-time since they will have too many protections from getting fired and the NFL will be stuck with them until they decide to retire. I think it was in a MMQB article.

139. 139 Media Mike said at 6:40 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

That’s interesting. I’m not sure if their CBA is the issue or the part time status is.

140. 140 ACViking said at 7:53 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

What Peter King said is, the officials cannot be fired. The officials cannot be suspended. What the officials can be is disciplined through reassignment.

141. 141 laeagle said at 8:11 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Kind of like priests in Boston…

142. 142 James said at 6:19 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

For the love of god just draft all OL…

143. 143 b3nz0z said at 6:26 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

ah, the classic BPA approach

144. 144 Crus57 said at 6:28 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Basically Prettymuch All of ’em?

145. 145 Fufina said at 6:29 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

You don’t want 3-4 rookies starting in 1 year, sign a FA Guard, and get a tackle or guard in the top 3 rounds at some point, and maybe another later.

OL was not good last year…. but Chip makes his line look worse with lack support and basic play calling. Schematically Chip needs all his OL to win 1vs1 match ups to really have a chance to succeed. People attacked our interior 3 all year and they blew up our run game. Pass blocking as ‘fine’ unless they were against elite rushers.

Have a coaching staff who is willing to change to fit what the opposition is trying to do and leave RB’s or extra blockers in pass pro and things would be better.

146. 146 daveH said at 7:46 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I love when good insight cuts up the coaching. Like chip doesn’t even have the fundamentals. Wher are the big highly paid ex football plsyer commentators to hold him accountable

147. 147 jshort said at 7:01 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Where in the draft is Adams jr, likely to be taken or drafted at all?

148. 148 Media Mike said at 7:04 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Late or UDFA. He’s a wee lad and doesn’t have Wilson type passing skills. He’s also fragile. Bad combo.

149. 149 jshort said at 7:06 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Just asking cause he looked pretty good passing and running the ball today.

150. 150 Media Mike said at 7:06 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Running; barf.

151. 151 RC5000 said at 7:37 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

He’s probably solidified 5th round-6th round today.

152. 152 CTAZPA said at 7:01 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Nicely played

157. 157 daveH said at 8:41 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Im a nus ?

158. 158 RC5000 said at 8:44 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Europe us.

159. 159 daveH said at 11:43 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Eagles ar us. Eagles are an us.

160. 160 The original AG said at 7:45 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Saw this on Reddit, so sharing. Good news about JMatt.

161. 161 Cafone said at 2:47 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I was expecting his targets to be higher because of all his drops but he actually has the fewest targets on that list.

162. 162 iceberg584 said at 8:53 AM on January 24th, 2016:

He’s also the least talented on that list…

163. 163 The original AG said at 8:09 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

164. 164 nicolajNN said at 8:19 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Despite the rumors & speculation, I'm committed to being with @RazorbackFB and coaching a great & #Uncommon group of young men. #Front4orce— Rory Segrest (@CoachSegrest) January 24, 2016

165. 165 FairOaks said at 8:21 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Interesting. Maybe Schwartz decided on someone else, or maybe the rumor was never true to begin with. Hard to imagine him not taking an NFL job if actually given the offer (unless there was a family situation he didn’t want to change).

166. 166 Fufina said at 8:23 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Will be interesting who they decide to go with.

167. 167 The original AG said at 8:23 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Interesting. So who’s up next to be DLine coach?

168. 168 Dave said at 8:29 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Jim Washburn is not official in Miami. Some confusion on him in Twitter.

169. 169 jpate said at 8:41 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I don’t think Laurie would allow washburn here after the way his last tenure ended and reid probably warned pederson about him.

170. 170 Dave said at 8:58 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Lurie probably wouldn’t be too keen on him either.

171. 171 Insomniac said at 8:43 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

One thing for sure is that it’s been getting harder to get leaks with real leads since Gamble is gone.

172. 172 jshort said at 8:58 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Could be one of those fake twitter accounts.

173. 173 The original AG said at 9:01 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Reuben Frank retweeted, and I’m pretty sure he checked the source first, he’s good for that.

174. 174 Aaron said at 8:40 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

kylo ren

175. 175 The original AG said at 8:44 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

I see him more as a quality control coach.

176. 176 P_P_K said at 10:51 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

The Panda?

177. 177 Mac said at 11:36 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

More violence.

178. 178 The original AG said at 8:58 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Ya’ll need to check out the video of the panda at the DC Zoo.

179. 179 The original AG said at 8:59 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

180. 180 Insomniac said at 9:19 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

looks as annoyed as everyone in the NE right now.

181. 181 Aaron said at 9:43 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

War, huh, good god yall,

182. 182 Jake and Elmo said at 10:12 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Back to the “high motor” days already?

183. 183 Joe Minx said at 10:20 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Vikings hired Shurmur.

184. 184 lonfident said at 11:14 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

To replace RB coach Kirby Wilson or what exactly?

185. 185 Joe Minx said at 12:24 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Don’t know. Glazer tweeted it. Didn’t elaborate.

186. 186 Greg Richards said at 8:38 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Either they move another position coach to RBs coach and Shurmur is either QBs coach or TEs coach or maybe they hire him ahead of Norv Turner as asst HC/offense.

187. 187 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 1:28 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Posted on Vikings page. A note from that posting:
    “Last season under Shurmur, the Eagles’ offense ranked 12th in the NFL while Minnesota’s ranked 29th.”
    Hm. Maybe it wasn’t so bad after all. That’s nearly in the Top Third.

188. 188 FairOaks said at 12:10 PM on January 24th, 2016:

When you go per-drive… the numbers get worse on the offense. We were an average offense per-game, but only because we ran more plays than everyone else (and also put the defense on the field for more plays, so making a decent defense look bad when using per-game numbers).

189. 189 Greg Tulino said at 11:12 PM on January 23rd, 2016:

Can anyone tell me what the oddball rumors are that Tommy is referring to?

190. 190 GermanEagle said at 12:22 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Probably to the one that Rory Segrest is not coming to the Eagles because he decided to become a fisherman.

191. 191 Fufina said at 12:25 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Thought it was about the rumor that Megan Fox is getting remarried to a PBR drinking, funyun eating football nut

192. 192 GermanEagle said at 12:26 AM on January 24th, 2016:

That would be more news breaking than the 26 inch of snow we had in Queens today!

193. 193 Joe Minx said at 12:25 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Josh Huff being unhappy & wanting out, “reported” by Eckel.

Basically he could have just said don’t listen to anything Eckel says ever.

194. 194 The original AG said at 12:50 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I think Lombardo is the only sports reporter on that paper that’s any good. Eckel and ESP are both terrible.

195. 195 Cafone said at 3:00 AM on January 24th, 2016:

trade him to the 49ers for a third round pick

196. 196 laeagle said at 12:44 PM on January 24th, 2016:

If Huff has a problem according to Eckel, we should have him sit down and have an encouraging chat with long-time Eagles center LeCharles Bentley. Bentley will help soothe any issues Huff has, I’m sure.

197. 197 anon said at 2:38 AM on January 24th, 2016:

ESPN’s Adam Caplan expects the Eagles to franchise free agent Sam Bradford.
    “I don’t want to say impossible, but it’s going to be extremely difficult to go past one year,” Caplan said. “It’s that or he walks, that’s the way I see it. I will be stunned if they get an extension done. A long-term deal, stunned.” Bradford reportedly asked for $25 million annually in contract talks earlier this year. Franchising Bradford would create stability while not overcommitting to him. Bradford set career highs in yards and completion percentage in his first season with the Eagles, but had 17 turnovers and hasn’t been more than a league-average quarterback.

198. 198 Fufina said at 7:22 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Tagging to keep a player really does not work at all, you need to get them extended or you are better off letting them walk. there are 3 possible outcomes for Bradford play wise: great, average or poor. If he plays: (Remember his agent Tom Condon plays harder than almost any agent in the NFL and Bradford has the $$ in the bank to take risks)

Great: and looks like a franchise QB you will need to exclusively tag him in 2017. That will cost $25mil+ and there is even less inclination to sign since the 2018 tag is ~$36mil and the player will get an extremely hot offers from free agency. Either Bradford walks or he signs the biggest QB contract in NFL history by far.

Average: looks good at times and average at others, team wins 8-10 games. You can non-exclusively tag him for ~$22-23mil, extension will probably be more expensive than 2016 would have been but you are even less confident of his franchise potential, More expensive, less confident he is a franchise QB and you have a front office coach who need to build off last year.

Poor: you let him walk away after another disappointing season and you go try and find another option.

Only way tagging Bradford and letting him play on that tag works out for the team in any positive way is if he is bad. All other outcomes are worse for the team.

Much better to ‘overpay’ by 1-2mil than you want, get him signed for 5 years with 2 years full guaranteed. If he is great it is cheaper and no risk of him walking, if he is good/average then he is getting paid the same or less and you only have 1 further year guaranteed. If he is poor then you have to eat another year of salary but you can draft a QB under him to develop and if you structure the contract well it may still retain some trade value (team that trades does not need to pay signing bonus or even perhaps the 2017 roster bonus part of contract making the 2017 salary manageable).

199. 199 myartz04 said at 8:13 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I think you pretty much stay away from him because of Tom Condon. He isn’t looking for a fair deal. He will get good money for average play. And if Bradford played great he’d look for the richest contract ever. Both options put us in a bad spot. I’d tag him, try to trade him and if there is no deal I’d just recind the offer right before the season started.

200. 200 Dave said at 8:59 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Most seem to be missing one important point, If Sam wants $25 million per year, he has to find a team willing to pay it. If he is franchised and traded, somebody must meet his contract demands and compensate the Eagles at the same time. I’m not so sure any team in the league will give him a 15% raise over Aaron Rodgers with over $50 million guaranteed and give up one or more draft picks on top of that. If he does get a contract from another team, he is making it very clear he does not want to be here and I doubt Howie matches the contract.

I think something that shouldn’t be undersold is that his teammates like him. Mathews, Ertz and others have publicly said they will be contacting him this offseason to get him to come back. Unless he is hell bent on playing for Chip or the close to home Texans, I would be surprised if he is not back.

If he signs the franchise tender and doesn’t ink an extension before draft day, I imagine they will draft a QB if one slides to 13 and prep him to start in 2017.

201. 201 truehaynes said at 11:00 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I like Bradford and I wanted him back but after hearing that he wants 25 million he can go fuck himself. Does he really believe that he played well enough this year to deserve that? Also what a selfish bastard. He stole so much money from the city and the people of St Louis and gave them nothing. Now he wants to do the same to philly. What a selfish dirtbag. Only a player who doesn’t care about the team would ask for a contract that big. If we gave him that contract we wouldn’t be able to resign our actually homegrown talent. Ilstraight up I’d rather have curry than Bradford.

202. 202 FairOaks said at 12:07 PM on January 24th, 2016:

First, we don’t know how accurate that rumor was. Even then, the rumor was that was the asking price *before* the season. That’s such a silly number it was basically tantamount to saying “we don’t want to negotiate a long-term deal at all” before this year. We have no real idea what he’s asking for now; that is still a silly number. But it can be a starting point for negotiations; if they can end up at 20 million that’s still a pretty rich price for Bradford. And in the end, it’s the guarantee that still matters most. Bradford is still in kind of a high-salary, lowish-guarantee position given lack of sustained success and injury history. But if there is a desperate team out there… you never know. But the franchise tag would scare any other teams away unless the Eagles make it known they’d trade his rights for a second rounder to recoup the one they traded.

203. 203 FairOaks said at 12:09 PM on January 24th, 2016:

Even if he’s still asking for $25 million now (the rumor was from *before* the season), that is likely more of a tactic to try and dissuade the Eagles from using the franchise tag rather than actually expecting to get that.

204. 204 Greg Richards said at 8:37 AM on January 24th, 2016:

This is why I say transition tagging him is better than franchise tagging him. Franchise tagging rarely results in trades. It causes other teams to look elsewhere and not consider him. You transition tag him and teams think well let’s throw him an offer and see what happens. If they match, no harm done. You let the other team do the negotiating for you. They can’t poison pill the deal. If it’s a deal you’re comfortable with, match it. If not, let him go. I don’t see another team willing to pay him a substantial amount more than the Eagles would pay him.

205. 205 Fufina said at 8:54 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Transition tag is a non starter – it might end up costing more than the non-exclusive franchise tag this year. Because it is made up of the top 10 salaries of QB’s in 2016 (they define that as salary cap value – work out bonus) and QB salaries of the top 10 QB’s the transition tag could fall in the $21mil – $22mil range more than the $20mil non exclusive franchise tag.

206. 206 Greg Richards said at 8:59 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Pretty sure the non-exclusive franchise tag is the average of the top 5 QBs. The difference between the non-exclusive and exclusive franchise tag is based on how that top 5 is calculated. I’d have to look up the details but I think non-exclusive is based on the top 5 cap numbers last year and exclusive is based on the cap numbers this year. The transition tag is expected to be in the $17-18M range this year.

207. 207 Fufina said at 9:06 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I posted above but basically the non-exclusive tag is based off the last 5 year ratio of top 5 QB salaries to the total salary cap. Exclusive Tag is based on the salary of top 5 in this year.

I misread the Trans tag info however – uses the same 5 year rolling calculation as the non-exclusive so would be in that $17-18mil range.

208. 208 Media Mike said at 9:19 AM on January 24th, 2016:

That isn’t the real risk of the transition tag; it’s a team with a ton of cap room structuring a very heavily front loaded contract. That doesn’t count as “poison pill”, but it is bad.

209. 209 Eagles News: Philadelphia loves to draft Senior Bowl players - said at 6:12 AM on January 24th, 2016:

[…] Draft Talk Begins – Iggles BlitzOne thing I am excited about is now finding 1-gap defenders for the Eagles. Penn State star Carl Nassib could be an excellent fit at DE in Schwartz’s 4-3. He loves high-motor guys with great length. That’s Nassib. Someone like DT Sheldon Day of Notre Dame (6-2, 285) could make sense. He would have been a tweener for the 3-4, too light for NT, too short for DE. Now, Day could be an excellent fit for a DL that needs some depth. In recent years, there just weren’t as many DL who fit what the Eagles wanted to do. Now that is completely different. Every guy who can shoot a gap and blow up a play in the backfield becomes a potential target. […]

210. 210 dan quisenberry said at 7:59 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Hoping Pederson & Co have the good sense to add young OL talent this offseason. If not, we are in for sad, sad times.

211. 211 Media Mike said at 9:18 AM on January 24th, 2016:

#1 position group in need of fixing.

212. 212 Fufina said at 9:00 AM on January 24th, 2016:

For people wanting to know how the Tag works this covers it pretty well (does not go into year 2-3 of Tag however):

The 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) changed how non-exclusive franchise tags are determined. Since its inception in 1993, a franchise tag number had been an average of the five largest salaries in the prior year at a player’s position or 120 percent of the prior year’s salary of the player, whichever was greater. For franchise tag purposes, salary means a player’s salary cap number, excluding workout bonuses.

Those two provisions remain intact, but the formula component is now calculated over a five-year period that’s tied to a percentage of the overall salary cap. More specifically, the number for each position is determined by taking the sum of the non-exclusive franchise tags as determined by the original methodology for the previous five seasons and dividing by the sum of the salary caps for the previous five seasons. The resulting percentage, which is known as the Cap Percentage Average in the CBA, is then multiplied by the actual salary cap for the upcoming league year.

This non-exclusive tag allows a player to negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet with another club, his team has five days to match the offer. If the offer is not matched, his team will receive two first-round picks as compensation from the signing team.

Under the exclusive franchise tag, a player will receive a one-year offer from his team that is the greater of 120 percent of his prior year’s salary or the average of the top five salaries at his position once the restricted free agent signing period of the current year has ended (April 22 for 2016). A player cannot negotiate with other teams with the exclusive franchise tag.

Teams also have the option to use a transition tag instead of a franchise tag. The transition tag operates similarly to the non-exclusive franchise tag, except it is based on the average of the top ten salaries at a player’s position. Teams have the same matching rights as with franchise tags but do not receive any draft choice compensation.

213. 213 xmbk said at 9:13 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Two firsts if you sign away a non-exclusive? That doesn’t sound right.

214. 214 Media Mike said at 9:45 AM on January 24th, 2016:

It is.
    Exclusive rights – you can’t offer him a deal
    Regular tag – you can offer him a deal, but if you sign him and the team doesn’t match, you owe the team two 1s
    Transition tag – right of first refusal

215. 215 Media Mike said at 9:17 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Excellent! I’ve linked this article several times. Joel Corrys is the #1 cap, tag, and contract genius in the free world. He is absolute must read / must listen.

216. 216 GermanEagle said at 9:44 AM on January 24th, 2016:

So can anybody explain why the Eagles should NOT use the non-exclusive tag on Bradford???

217. 217 Media Mike said at 9:46 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Because a $20 mil charge on this year’s cap might be more than we can afford if we’re going to get aggressive with resigning a few of our guys AND adding a good O lineman or two.

Might

218. 218 Fufina said at 10:11 AM on January 24th, 2016:

It all comes down to your evaluation of Bradford… for me he is not a ‘franchise guy’ so i do not Tag him and try to find someone who is. If you think he is reasonably likely to be a franchise guy you resign him pre Tag ideally or at worst Tag him and get aggressive to resigning him long term.

219. 219 Media Mike said at 9:15 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Welcome to I really don’t care who wins the AFC and Arizona Cardinal Sunday!

May you all have power, TV, the ability to get to your desired destination, and a good time watching………………………………unless you’re rooting for Carolina. In that case, may your gonads suffer frostbite damage due to being stuck groin high in a snow drift for 10 hours!

220. 220 Insomniac said at 11:34 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Already have but I’ll be fine. Go Panthers and fuck the Patriots.

221. 221 Media Mike said at 1:03 PM on January 24th, 2016:

Fuck Carolina. Scam Newton’s bullshit side show act needs to be exterminated from the playoffs.

222. 222 GermanEagle said at 9:33 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Guess no ride today…

223. 223 Media Mike said at 9:37 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Ride?

224. 224 GermanEagle said at 9:39 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I was going to pick up Rory Segrest with my car. …

225. 225 Media Mike said at 9:41 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Save your gas, save the planet.

226. 226 GermanEagle said at 9:45 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Click re-fresh mate.

227. 227 Media Mike said at 9:47 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Nice.

And whoever wrote the code for this commenting platform sucks at their job.

228. 228 Media Mike said at 9:40 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Good morning. Here is a pre-final shoveling mock draft.
    I got absolutely murdered on finding good o-linemen at our picks, so the simulations are starting to catch up with last year’s early run on o-linemen. Not a shock.

If this were to be our haul of players I’d hope to have Wentz play behind whoever at QB for the season, but start in 2017. Martin would need to remove Kelce from this roster as well. I’d also hope that Nassib would provide some situation pass rush and that Henry would come in here and block well. 4th though the end………anything year one would be gravy.

Round 1 Pick 16 (DET): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (A)
    Round 2 Pick 15 (DET): Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame (B)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Carl Nassib, DE, Penn State (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 16: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Sebastian Tretola, OG, Arkansas (A)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Harlan Miller, CB, Southeastern Louisiana (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 23: Aaron Green, RB, TCU (A)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Jordan Williams, WR, Ball State (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 12: Javon Hargrave, DT, South Carolina State (B-)
    Round 7 Pick 31: Victor Ochi, OLB, Stony Brook (B+)

229. 229 Fufina said at 9:57 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Think getting a 2nd to move down 3 spots is a bit too much to expect, and if we want Wentz we take him at 13 if he is available.

However the general point is true. I think looking at different mock drafts and big boards there is a real chance that you end up in the 3rd round and no OL remain in that ‘tier’ of prospects. So you either reach on 4th and 5th round talent or you could be only getting late round OL guys… which is not solving anything in the short term.

230. 230 Media Mike said at 10:03 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I’m more or less settled on my Constitutional right to get Wentz and an additional 2nd rounder. But that was a tad rich. Maybe we threw in a player or a future 4th rounder to help out.

And I’m dead set against reaching for players, so that really killed me on o-line.

I think the best way to fix o-line is to make our offseason signings be Mitchell Schwartz and either Boone or Sweezy.

231. 231 Media Mike said at 9:59 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Eagles “LB” corps after I’ve declared that Barwin and Smith are playing DE next year.

Kiko
    Braman
    Goode
    Hepburn
    Hicks
    Kendricks
    Long (I know he’s on knee number three)
    Means
    Ryans
    Skinner

That seems like it needs some additions to work. Figure a Kiko at SAM, Hicks at MIKE, Kendricks at WIL starting group. Meco 50/50 to get cut based on other signings.

One name I’d keep an eye on in free agency (and somebody else mentioned him before) is Nigel Bradham from Buffalo. He played well under Schwartz up there two years ago.

Any idea who sticks from this group and who doesn’t?

232. 232 Fufina said at 10:07 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I think they stay away from any FA additions, even if they keep Bradford they are going to loose 2-3 of Carrol/Thurmond/Thornton/Curry in FA, and lack the cash after extending key guys to be big players in the market. Sign an OG and then sit out the market until May 12th to pick up those comp picks in 2017. We have enough special team talent to not need to get a whole bunch of cheap roster bubble type guys to compete for spots.

Think we add an ILB in the 5-7th rounds and maybe resign Goode to pad out that group.

233. 233 truehaynes said at 11:14 AM on January 24th, 2016:

I have no interest in kiko playing Sam. Dude looks tiny when he plays. I don’t want to see him try and take on blockers. I’d rather have barwin at sam. I also trust barwin more in coverage

234. 234 Media Mike said at 11:20 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Better get Barwin cross trained in that case.

235. 235 Fufina said at 11:29 AM on January 24th, 2016:

You really don’t need a big in the trenches SAM these days, especially if you are lining a DE on the TE rather than the tackle. Being able to cover a TE effectively is more important than setting the edge in the run game currently.

Think Kiko has the perfect size for the modern SAM position, in the past he looked to much of a play maker to ‘waste’ on the position but considering his play in 2015 i don’t think that is a concern right now.

236. 236 Greg Richards said at 2:13 PM on January 24th, 2016:

I realize Barwin can’t play every down but Curry could be at DE on 1st and 2nd down with Barwin at SAM and then in nickel when you typically only play 2 LBs anyway Barwin could play DE and Curry could shift to DT.

237. 237 Dragon_Eagle said at 11:18 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Thought Kiko was better fit for WIL. Then again, who’s better at covering TEs, Kiko or Kendricks?

238. 238 Media Mike said at 11:20 AM on January 24th, 2016:

At Kiko’s size he needs to be at SAM. Our other guys are WAY too short to cover TEs. I need Carlos Emmons Jr. at SAM or otherwise you’re just staffing the position with losers like Dhani Jones or Chris Gocong.

239. 239 Insomniac said at 11:37 AM on January 24th, 2016:

Trade Kiko for a 2nd round pick to Chip somehow please Howie.