Homegrown is Best

Posted: February 1st, 2016 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 299 Comments »

The Eagles have done new deals with Brent Celek, Zach Ertz and Lane Johnson. I think that is a big deal. I’m a big believer in the value of signing your own guys.

Jimmy Bama and I discussed this in Mobile and he wasn’t as sold on the importance of it. With that in mind, I wrote this week’s PE.com column on the importance of keeping homegrown talent. I mixed in some history and some football history to help make my point.

It is funny how some outsiders so quickly can feel like Eagles. I remember the team signing Brian Mitchell in 2000 to be a backup RB and key RS. He had been a lifelong Skins player, but immediately felt like an Eagle. Maybe it was just the fact he played so hard and did all the little things well. Some free agents play for money. Mitch was all about kicking some ass.

My two best Brian Mitchell memories involved injuries. One of the Gramatica brothers tried to tackle him on a kickoff in an Eagles-Cardinals game. Mitch took up straight up the field. Gramatica was between him and the end zone. Rather than dance, Mitch ran straight at the PK and went full speed. Gramatica reached out to tackle him, but Mitch ran right through the attempt and separated the guy’s shoulder in the process. That’s fantasy material for STs coaches.

I also remember LaVar Arrington coming down to cover a KO when he collided with Mitch. Arrington had a great combination of size, strength and speed. But he hadn’t learned to play a man’s game quite yet. He and Mitch hit head-to-head and Arrington is the one who left the game with the concussion.

Among current Eagles, Malcolm Jenkins and Connor Barwin felt like lifelong Eagles pretty quickly. I’m sure Jenkins is still a Saint at heart. They drafted him and he won a Super Bowl there. Barwin? He’s been here 3 years and has played his best ball with the Eagles. He might just feel like a lifelong member of the Midnight Green.

Let’s hope this is one of those times that Howard is right.

Q&A

Talk about the QB situation (draft, FA & Bradford).  This will be handled in a lot of posts over the coming weeks and months. One thing you need to keep in mind is that there is no slam dunk solution. Last year going for Mariota made the most sense, but moving from 20 to 2 just seemed like an impossible task.

Some want Bradford back and that just might happen, but there is a strong argument for and against keeping him.

There are 3 key targets in the draft. Each has flaws. Any of them could turn out to be terrific pros. Or all could be busts. There isn’t one that feels like a guy “the Eagles have to find a way to get”.

Who does Shawn Oakman compare to? Someone asked me if Oakman, a 6-8, 267 DE from Baylor, reminded me of Jevon Kearse. Not even remotely. Oakman is more like Jon Harris, one of the biggest draft busts in Eagles history. Oakman could turn out to be a very good pro, but he was an underachiever in college and failed to stand out in Mobile. I’d only have interest in him if the price was right.

Can Barwin play DE in the 4-3 or is that a waste of his ability? Barwin can absolutely play in the 4-3. The first thing you have to realize is that a lot of his snaps in the old scheme came as a 4-3 DE because that was part of the Nickel defense. The Eagles used some 4-2-5 looks with him at LDE. Barwin played DE as a Senior in college and was drafted by Houston to play DE for them. Barwin is more versatile now so you’d love to find a way to use all his skills. It is possible the Eagles could trade him to a 4-3 team, but Barwin is a productive player and key team leader. There is a lot of wisdom in keeping guys like that around.

Where does Marcus Smith fit in the new defense? I wondered about Smith losing weight and playing SAM in the new scheme, but it really feels like his best bet is playing DE. Smith seemed to struggle with OLB in the 3-4 in part because he was asked to do a lot of things. Think about those times when he had success (few and far between to be sure). Smith was usually rushing the QB in a known passing situation. He didn’t have to think, just to attack.

Check out #91 on these college highlights.

Smith might struggle just as much in the new scheme, but this does provide him with a chance to show that he can play in a different system and for a new staff.

299 Comments on “Homegrown is Best”

1. 1 rosmith51 said at 11:13 PM on February 1st, 2016:

Best Mitchell moment I remember was one time there was a high kickoff that was looking like it was going to come down along the sildeines but just inbounds… and if it bounced, who knows where it might have gone and of course that’s a live ball. Mitchell called for a fair catch, exaggerated a stomp with his foot out of bounds (making himself out of bounds at that point) and caught the ball. He knew the rules cold… that was a kickoff out-of-bounds penalty on the kicking team even though Mitchell was 95% in bounds.

2. 2 A_T_G said at 11:40 PM on February 1st, 2016:

He called for a fair catch on a kickoff? Can you do that? Why don’t they do that for onside kicks?

3. 3 rosmith51 said at 11:50 PM on February 1st, 2016:

Once the ball hits the ground, the fair catch is waived off. Most onsides kicks begin by driving the ball into the ground for that reason.

4. 4 A_T_G said at 3:09 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Interesting, thanks. Since kickoff so are live balls from the start I had never considered the possibility.

Now I just need to figure out how this fact is another example of why we should cut Riley Cooper.

5. 5 A Roy said at 5:24 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

That onside kick he muffed a couple years ago would be an example.

6. 6 Media Mike said at 5:27 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

And Barner.

7. 7 Ray888 said at 10:12 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

A little hazy here, but I recall being able to signal for a fair catch on a kickoff, having no time go off the clock, and then having a free kick. Usually happened in last seconds of half or game to attempt field goal. So, required mid-field or better position & a strong legged kicker.

8. 8 Stephen E. said at 12:39 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Oops, I didn’t see your post before I made mine. Yes, you are correct.

9. 9 Stephen E. said at 12:38 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

You can call for a fair catch. In fact, there is a rarely used rule that says after a fair catch, you can attempt an untimed place kick from that spot.

10. 10 Media Mike said at 12:03 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

He was one of my favorite guys.

11. 11 Dude said at 2:51 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Not to be confused with any Reno Mahe return, where he clearly caught the ball in the end zone and ran it out to the 2.

12. 12 Kelce's Beard 2.0 said at 11:31 PM on February 1st, 2016:

Trotter knocking Arrington out cold is man-strength. A helmet-to-helmet hit between Mitchell and Arrington is not. A concussion has very little do with manhood.

13. 13 Charlie Kelly said at 12:08 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

well both hits ended in a concussion

14. 14 A_T_G said at 11:43 PM on February 1st, 2016:

“With that in mind, I wrote this week’s PE.com column on the importance of keeping homegrown talent.”

It is titled, Screw you, ‘Bama. What do you know anyway?

15. 15 the guy said at 12:04 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Where does Marcus Smith fit in the new defense?

Judging by history: on the bench, getting paid.

16. 16 fran35 said at 8:31 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Yeah, the video did nothing for me. Actually, it kind of shows very well his lack of strength. Even when he had a clean run at the QB or RB, he still had problems putting them down by himself. He actually looks like a safety trying to complete a sack. The guy looks quick, but also looks like he has “the strength and body of a high schooler”– as his own coached have said. Not optimistic that he will ever ditch the bust moniker.

17. 17 Buge Halls said at 10:13 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

ONE intern coach said that about him. Let’s be clear about that. One intern coach who hasn’t coached squat since.

18. 18 D3FB said at 11:23 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Then clearly you haven’t watched his actual game tape, because he tossed Ereck Flowers and Clive Walford around.

Also you know alot of high schoolers that look like this?

19. 19 fran35 said at 11:55 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Actually, I have watched quite a bit of his college game tapes. I maintain my statement that he is weak for his position. If he had a play against Flowers or other pro prospect, they were minimal and he definitely lost the war. I am backed by damn near every analyst in my assertion, his coach in the Pros(Billy Davis as well as Tra Thomas), and his spider chart. To me, that is a little more telling than some action photo you pulled offline. I could pull a dozen more that make him seem long and lacking muscle or definition. But you know what, this is all semantics. The guy has been a turd to date. But, to rival your combine shot, here is his spider chart.

20. 20 D3FB said at 12:29 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

He’s 6’3 258lbs and well put together in that picture. Just because he ain’t got biceps for days don’t mean it’s not impressive.That’s not a friggin high schooler any way you slice it.

And the spider chart is adorable. Because it lacks any semblance of context. “VS DE” That list includes 34 DE’s and 43 LDE’s. Taylor Hart is in that same player pool. You wanna argue those two are at all comparable? Cam Heyward, JJ Watt, Brandon Bair, Clifton Geathers, Josh Mauro, Calais Campbell are all listed in that group.

Let’s make some actual apple to apple comparisions of what guys were coming out

MSII

6′ 2″

252lbs

32⅞” arms

Curry: 6′ 3″
    266lbs

32¾” arms

So let’s not act like he’s actually small.

21. 21 fran35 said at 12:58 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Again, you are missing my initial point. I could give a rip if the guy looks like Ronnie Coleman or justin Bieber. He lacks the functional strength. However, since you maintain that he is strong enough to succeed and that is clearly backed up by his field exploits and his combine bench press, I will relent and defer to your opinion.

22. 22 fran35 said at 1:27 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

In regards to adorable, you clearly are smitten with the photograph you posted and I hope my empirical data or did not ruin it for you. I never mentioned any lack of biceps, but you ran to protect that hill pretty quickly.

In DI football, our strength coaches really harped on most of our power coming from our legs and core anyway. Biceps were never part of the equation.

23. 23 Media Mike said at 12:04 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

When you keep your own guy who has earned a long term deal through the quality of his play, you don’t have to guess on the quality of his character.

I like locking up our guys.

24. 24 Ankerstjernen said at 4:27 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

This is exactly the reason for locking up your own players. You know what they can do on your exact team, with those exact teammates and with that particular coach, in that very scheme. You know them and hwo they fit, there is almost no projection. And that matters when you sink millions of guaranteed money into those contracts. We see that every year in free agency.

25. 25 Crus57 said at 7:03 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

As opposed to Dallas, who let the police do the locking up for them.

26. 26 Charlie Kelly said at 12:07 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

oh god a marcus smith highlight video.. lol i cant bring myself to watch that

27. 27 EaglesGameBalls said at 2:09 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

He looks good

28. 28 Charlie Kelly said at 12:07 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Brian Mitchell < Darren Sproles

29. 29 rosmith51 said at 12:47 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Sproles has definitely produced more as scrimmage player, but his return stats have a long way to go to catch up to what Mitchell did. It’s probably a push.

30. 30 Charlie Kelly said at 2:18 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

for the eagles tho?? sproles is the best PR eagles have ever had.. did it in two years.

31. 31 rosmith51 said at 5:52 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Sorry, didn’t know you were a move a goalpost type. Forget I said anything.

32. 32 Charlie Kelly said at 3:29 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

wtf you talking bout willis

33. 33 EaglesGameBalls said at 2:09 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Stats don’t mean nothing. Mitchell helped WIN in the playoffs

34. 34 Charlie Kelly said at 2:21 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

id rather have sproles on my roster than mitchell

35. 35 A_T_G said at 3:11 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Well sure. Mitchell is 47.

36. 36 Charlie Kelly said at 3:36 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

……

37. 37 Charlie Kelly said at 2:24 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

mitchell didnt do much for us in the playoffs

38. 38 EaglesGameBalls said at 2:40 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

He was our starter in a game we won and did a good job

39. 39 Sean Stott said at 12:53 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

What is the guess for Cox’s avg. yearly cap hit?

40. 40 EaglesGameBalls said at 2:08 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Marcus Smith looks like a 4-3 DE. I heard chip didn’t like that Howie drafted him so he shelved him out of spite. It that is true Chip Kelly is truly a piece of dog turd

41. 41 anon said at 3:06 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

think there’s something to that but he was remarkably unproductive.

42. 42 sonofdman said at 3:09 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

He was never on the field. How can he produce if he doesn’t play?

43. 43 FairOaks said at 4:50 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Kelly gave Smith just over 100 snaps per year. Maybe he didn’t earn it in practice but he’s certainly not been given a real chance in games.

44. 44 Buge Halls said at 10:11 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

He certainly produced against the Giants

45. 45 Anders said at 3:30 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Just let Smith be a DE.

Locking guys like Ertz and Cox up now will make their contracts look cheap in 2-3 years

46. 46 Media Mike said at 5:09 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Correct x 2.

Smith, playing Schwartz DE, should be presented with a much simpler path to demonstrating he has enough talent to stick with the team or not than if they asked him to learn SAM.

Early lockup with a player you really want at below future market rates is always the better move than adding somebody else’s guy.

47. 47 Anders said at 5:11 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Crazy is, we could have money for Jackson, McCoy and Maclin if we didnt have to pay Maxwell, Murray and Barwin

48. 48 Media Mike said at 5:14 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

The one that irks me the most continues to be DeSean.

Getting rid of Shady because he wasn’t running the plays straight ahead as called can still be salvaged. Just not when you don’t call straight ahead run plays.

Maclin didn’t provide $11 million of output for KC.

DeSean being spike-cut still blows my mind. And he wouldn’t have been injured on blocking sleds in training camp here either like he was in Washington.

49. 49 Anders said at 5:18 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

With another coach here Maclin might have been signed earlier. Maclin threw some shade at Kelly after he was fired.

50. 50 Media Mike said at 5:27 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

True enough, but not matching $11 mil / year for Maclin isn’t something I can really flame. So I wonder if Howie unleashed could have gotten MACLin to sign at a lower number sooner.

51. 51 Anders said at 5:30 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

If Maclin wasnt a big fan of Kelly, it might have driven Maclin to FA

52. 52 Media Mike said at 5:36 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Also true, but I’m still not sure if Maclin is a guy I would want any coach going to the $11 mil / year class for.

53. 53 Ankerstjernen said at 9:28 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

I tend to think Maclin was the most important of those three. Shady might very well have put his prime behind him and was relatively easy to replace. DeSean was not a good locker room guy, kept stirring up the media, committed boneheaded mistakes on the field when showing off and kept complaining about his contract in the off seasons. And he tended to disappearin the big spot when it really counted. His toolbox was not exactly full, his main weapons being deep routes and return skills. Not a great sideline target, not good in the RZ and mindful of the ‘business decisions’ when going over the middle. Course limited blocking. If I had to throw 10 mil after one of those guys, Maclin is the dude I’d want for the next four years. And by all accounts that is how the front office felt as well. They offered him a great deal. But I think it was about more than the money. Reid was the father figure, kelly was not, Kansas is home to him and Chiefs was more desperate for a receiver than us, hence overbid.

54. 54 Dude said at 1:17 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Self-tacklin Jeremy Macklin made several of his own “business decisions” when the season wasn’t going well.

55. 55 Ankerstjernen said at 3:09 AM on February 3rd, 2016:

Ya, I remember that too. But I feel like he put that behind him actually. With Kelly he seemed to play hard, blocking and what not. And remember, he turned down a team friendly contract after the injury year to play on a one year prove-it deal. Which he then did, with all the injury risks and all. And he had a career year. My point is simply that Maclin feels like the only one of those guys I would be comfortable throwing a lot of guaranteed $ at.

56. 56 Gian GEAGLE said at 2:22 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Maclin bothers me more…. Jackson dissapearing in every playoff game annoys me, same with Shady… Obviously Id take Shady in a heartbeat over any of our RBs at this Point… But RB is a young mans game, even if we kept shady, I would be looking to replace him in two years with a youth movement..
    Losing Maclin hurt, go figure, I liked Maclin the least when him, Desean and shady were all here, but last year Mac became everything I been hoping he would end up being. He was clutch last year, and played with Toughness tbat helped shed the “self tacklin”…
    Curious to see what the skins do about Desean…

57. 57 anon said at 3:11 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Cousins numbers vastly improved when Djax was playing.

Agree on MAC. But you can’t pay all 3 of those guys, have a QB, have JP, pay cox, curry, ertz all near the top of the market.

58. 58 izzylangfan said at 3:46 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

The thing about Howie is that he has skills: he knows to sign home grown talent, he knows where players should fall in the draft, he thus can trade and get extra picks for the Eagles, and he is great at managing the cap. But since he is not a football guy at core he learned his craft by emulating the conventional approach. Thus he is not capable of the bold stroke that might put the Eagles over the top. And I see no evidence that he is particularly brilliant at assessing first round talent. That is why Lurie wanted cooperation, so that the football guys could fill in what Howie lacks.

But Kelly blew up the whole party by not being willing to work with Howie. Howie was more than willing to give Kelly what he wanted. Kelly said Jordan was going to be the pick in 2013, thank goodness Miami traded up. And Kelly wanted to take Matthews in the first round, it took multiple assurances from Howie to wait until the second round. Huff was clearly a reach, even at the time.

My point is that Kelly was getting what he wanted but just wouldn’t work with Howie. So I don’t take Howie’s assertion that all those picks were really his too seriously. He was the GM and he is not going to admit his lack of power in that situation, particularly since the guy he may have been deferring to didn’t even respect him.

59. 59 Anders said at 3:58 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

How is a football guy going to make the bold move consider he learned to “run the football”, punt on 4th down, take the points and other stupid things.

60. 60 izzylangfan said at 4:31 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

I didn’t say Chip was the right football guy. Chip did some things right but too many things wrong.

61. 61 Anders said at 5:02 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

My point is, football guys are more conservative because they still think it is the 70’s in terms of how to play the game

62. 62 anon said at 3:18 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

We literally 0% visibility into that relationship, who did want, who wanted what. Only thing we know is that chip wasn’t the first guy howie didn’t get along with. Hopefully problem solved since they picked a guy that will get along with Howie (which, really makes it seem like Howie is GM higher than coach).

63. 63 Media Mike said at 5:35 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Fine; if none of y’all can agree on a QB…………………….

Round 1 Pick 16 (DET): Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 15 (DET): Cody Whitehair, OG, Kansas State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Joshua Garnett, OG, Stanford (A)
    Round 3 Pick 16: Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina (B)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Evan Boehm, C, Missouri (A)
    Round 5 Pick 23: D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple (B+)
    Round 7 Pick 12: DeAndre Washington, RB, Texas Tech (B+)
    Round 7 Pick 30: Derek Watt, FB, Wisconsin (A-)

64. 64 A_T_G said at 6:35 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Those 7th rounders almost seem like you are messing with the people who complained that we don’t want the other Gronkowski. You give them the other DeAndre and the other Watt instead. Well done.

65. 65 Gian GEAGLE said at 9:50 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

All I ask for is nasty interior OL like the Panthers who straight up Bully defenders… Build a quality interior OL in this draft (2 new starting Guards) and I’ll be happy..
    Be great if Schwartz can tell Howie what a legit safety prospect looks like

66. 66 Buge Halls said at 10:08 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Where are you getting the 2nd round pick from?

67. 67 BlindChow said at 10:10 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Woo, Madden trade-downs!

68. 68 Jernst said at 6:07 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Locking up your own guys over signing free agents is just simple economics. Whenever you sign someone in FA you are almost guaranteed to be the team that offers the most money. Otherwise the player wouldn’t sign with you. So you’re paying the highest possible salary to obtain a player in today’s dollars. Whereas, when you extend a player already under contract, one you get a discount because there’s no bidding war and the player knows they have to sacrifice some overall dollar amount to get that early security. But, the biggest thing is you’re not spending today’s dollars, you’re spending tomorrow’s dollars because it’s an extension on an already existing contract. And, due to the yearly inflation of the cap the value 2 or 3 years from now will be comparatively lower. So not only do you get a discount compared to today’s market but you compound that with the discount in future years due to the relative inflation of the cap down the road.

69. 69 ChoTime said at 9:13 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Yes, in Free Agency you have the “winner’s curse”. Whoever gets the FA is the one willing to pay the most (and definitely more than the team that knows him best). Therefore there is a good chance you will pay too much.

70. 70 dval437 said at 7:27 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Let’s put the Marcus Smith fantasy to rest. Low football IQ and he can’t stay on his feet. End of story.

71. 71 TypicalDouche said at 8:27 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Sounds like your also describing Chip Kelly.

72. 72 Mitchell said at 9:00 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

I dont think so. Theres enough question as to whether Kelly was spiting him combined with his college and Giants game that Im will to give him, in Schwartzs defense, a chance.

73. 73 Fufina said at 9:15 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Think the Kelly issue really is not a thing at all. Kelly loved vets, Rookies needed to earn playing time over the established players due to their ability. Smith failed to do that due to some of the reasons stated above.

However that does not mean he cannot overcome those things, he has the physical talent to overcome them, question is does he? Next year may be his final chance to prove one way or another in an eagles shirt.

74. 74 Buge Halls said at 10:06 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

I guess you missed the last game. The Giants O-Line wasn’t as bad as he made it seem. He’s not a 3-4 guy for sure. I’m more than willing to give him a chance in the upcoming 4-3.

75. 75 Mac said at 1:15 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I’m almost at full blown hype mode on Marcus Smith II with Schwartz in town. The kid is physically gifted, with the right scheme I think he can be successful.

76. 76 A_T_G said at 2:02 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

He is going to be given every opportunity. Besides Foles returning for another 27-2 type of year, Smith developing into a productive player worthy of his pick is the biggest redemption Howie can achieve over Chip.

77. 77 Mac said at 6:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

If MS2 achieves double digit sack numbers this season, Howie should take the podium at the end of the game and say, “This middle finger goes out to Chip Kelly on behalf of all the fans of Philadelphia and the players who were held back by his hair-brained schemes.”

78. 78 anon said at 6:48 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

and pigs will fly. No one had double digit sacks last year. Think only barwin did year before.

79. 79 Media Mike said at 6:49 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Schwartz, yo! The 8 d-linemen with the most snaps will combine for 80, or better yet 160, sacks next year.

80. 80 anon said at 7:06 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

ok

81. 81 Fufina said at 8:08 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

160 sack… Fortunately 80 come against the Cowgirls golden OL, and they loose 5 QB’s for the season over the 2 games.

82. 82 Media Mike said at 6:48 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

The 2nd middle finger should go out to Chip / Billy for running a 3-4 with 4-3 personnel.

83. 83 BobSmith77 said at 5:52 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

1 half-decent game in 2 years in a game that meant very little for either team.

I wouldn’t label MS2 as the biggest Eagles’ draft bust ever (Jon Harris win that) but I bet he’ll certainly be in the running to stand on the podium as a Top 3 candidate.

84. 84 Media Mike said at 5:54 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Make room for Kevin Allen.

85. 85 Gian GEAGLE said at 9:42 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

Not even close to being ready to give up on MS2, a talented, high upside, but clear Project when we drafted him… I also expect his future to remain an edge rusher instead of moving to Sam, but if his coverage ability develope really well, an experienced DC like Schwartz will find ways to use those talents even if he will mostly be a 4-3 DE….
    Worrying about Barwin not being a fit is sheer ignorance, considering the fact we just watched him line up as a 4-3 DE hundreds of times the past 3 years.. Barwin wins off of being a technician, he isnt a guy like VON Miller who wins off sheer talemt and athleticism. With a very Technical pass rusher like Barwin, I think Schwartz letting them rush from wider angles in some passing situations can be great for Barwin, because it puts a Tackle on an Island giving Barwin more room to unleash his technical pass rush often Combining moves and counter moves. With more space, it should provide Barwin more room to use his spin moves and technique to slip by the OT…. But really, I doubt we will see much difference between Barwin of the past 3 seasons, and the Barwin we see next yeàr..
    PhillyMag has a post up giving another example of how Chip was a novice at the NFL leave. It spells out the Effects of not getting Cox and Curry extend last year, which probabky would have happened if Chip didnt usurp Roseman and move his desk in the Janitors closet. To no surprise as soon as Roseman got his power back he dove in and started to extend young talent to not make the same costly mistake Chiip made.

86. 86 bsuperfi said at 12:25 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

The proof is in the pudding this year for Marcus Smith. If he doesn’t see the field, he’s a bust. If he gets a fair shot and doesn’t perform, he’s a bust. If he plays decently and shows flashes of his athleticism, we need to work on developing him more. I don’t have any expectations for this kid, but it makes no sense to completely discount him at this point.

87. 87 myartz04 said at 1:59 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

That’s fair and I’m in agreement with you completely. Year 3 is about production.

88. 88 Gian GEAGLE said at 2:09 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Obviously he can’t spend another two years on ST contributing nothing to the defense, but with Curry, BG and BARWIN all ahead of him, im not expecting him to have an opportunity to put up big numbers.. I do think he has to absolutely find a way to contribute to the Defense, show some progress and that he is trending in the right direction at least…. If we keep Curry, BG, and BARWIN, while we need to see MS2 start earning some defensive snaps, big picture, it’s more important that he keeps developing. We REALLY need Him to grow into a serious player by the time his rookie contract expires. if he developes into one of thoae guys who figure it out during their second contract, it will allow us to give him a 2nd contract around the time we would be starting to lose guys like BG and BARWIN..
    So while he has to start earning snaps, most important is him developing into a Longterm atarter to step in during his second contract, and he has a very long way to go in that Regard and it damn sure ISNT a lock.
    There are some quality Eagle defenders that swear MS2 will be a good player. Hopefully they are right. At least we now he will get a fair shot Under a new regime that doesmt hate him since the moment he was drafted

89. 89 anon said at 3:10 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Gotta be able to rotate guys

90. 90 anon said at 11:38 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

“The Eagles have tabled their search for a personnel chief and aren’t expected to hire until after the NFL draft, according to several league sources familiar with the situation.

The Eagles, who have no scouting chief after firing coach Chip Kelly and top personnel executive Ed Marynowitz, are looking for a high-ranking senior executive to lead the scouting department and determine the fate of current scouts, per sources, but they opened their search at a time when NFL teams are knee deep in the pre-draft process and would be reluctant to allow a top personnel executive to leave.

Teams don’t normally allow an experienced, senior executive to walk out their doors about one month from free agency and less than three months from the draft.”

so howie’s the man. doe this mean they found the guy and are waiting to hire him?

91. 91 D3FB said at 11:56 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

It means they didn’t like what was available.

The day after the draft, alot of contracts will be up, there will be shuffling of front office lieutenants, and other teams will be more open to letting guys take an interview.

The impact of a hiring a guy to be the head scout with 3 months before the draft is pretty minimal. The scouting has been done. At this point it’s just confirming measurables, double checking athleticism, determining valuation and setting the board and draft strategy. These are all Howies domain. You’ve got Donahue to serve as the second set of eyes in the interim.

Better to wait until May than hire someone now just to say you did.

92. 92 BobSmith77 said at 12:03 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Have the Eagles released any news related to shuffling among the scouts since Kelly left? I haven’t seen anything.

93. 93 Fufina said at 12:07 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

you really cant fire people at this point in the process. I mean who would come in and pick up SEC schools at this point if you fired the SEC scout?

Problem with not having a ‘GM’ position available is that you cannot force teams to allow interviews for roles, and why would any team want a senior personal guy walking out in Feb with most of your board roughly constructed.

Is going to be a rough draft period because they are missing key roles and Howie was out of scouting last year so has a lot to catch up to speed with, and lot of ‘his’ guys Chip fired in May.

94. 94 D3FB said at 12:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Marynowitz got fired.

Other than bringing in a another donahue type there’s not much to do. All the area scouts are in place, the cross checkers are in place. All the nitty gritty stuff has been done. Even if you don’t like a guy at this point you need them from an administrative standpoint.

After the draft the lieutenants are going to see some shakeup. I think Patch and or Mueller may be back. I’d bet money Matt Lindsays getting fired. I wouldn’t be shocked to see one of Clark or Joeseph go (pro personnel was underwhelming but may have been Chip).

But for right now nothing is going to happen.

95. 95 Gary Barnes said at 12:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Shocker! Not…it was from the beginning a fait accompli that Roseman was in charge again and no one hired was going to challenge him. I doubt it is because they did not like what is available and more likely that no one legit would take a lateral job with limited authority to work under Roseman. They’ll spin it that Donahoe is here to help Roseman and all will be well, but the process has been bungled all along. The only good news is that if they screw up this draft, Roseman will have no excuses and cannot blame shift this time.

96. 96 ACViking said at 1:11 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

On December 31, 2015, Roseman took over Chip Kelly’s personnel department — staffed with Kelly’s scouts looking for Kelly’s type of players for Kelly’s offense and defense.

I can see holding Roseman responsible for what happens after the 2016 draft — when contracts are up and personnel departments can be reorganized.

But the 2016 draft itself?

With all the work done during the past year for a coach obsessed with HWS requirements — meaning lots of good football players weren’t scouted by the Eagles . . . .

97. 97 anon said at 1:38 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Of course he gets another “free year”

98. 98 ACViking said at 1:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

A:

Should Roseman not?

Seems like a tough situation.

Not so much having a year’s worth of scouting reports on guys built like Taylor Hart and Eric Rowe and Josh Huff.

But it’s the absence of reports on so many players who don’t fit Kelly’s HWS requirements.

Scouts can look at tape now to play catch up. But no live action scouting, which has to hurt some.

99. 99 BobSmith77 said at 5:49 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Just yet another reason to not sign Bradford long-term to large dollar deal.

100. 100 Gary Barnes said at 2:51 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

You make some fair points, but Lurie & Roseman should have taken that into account before they fired Chip and had plans ready for how they would transition quickly. Plenty of teams fire GM/personnel guys and coaches at the end of the season, bring in new people/approaches and make it work. Sure, he has to make the best of a tough situation, but, if he is the GM, and he is, that is part of his job and his responsibility. They knew this draft was vital and the team was at a crossroads. I can give them some rope, but they definitely do not get a total pass from me.

101. 101 anon said at 3:08 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Whole point of that PC was “we’re firing early so we can get a jump on things” you’d think they would have had someone in mind for the personnel position since they fired the personnel guy right away as well, not starting a “from scratch” search after the spent 2 weeks trying to find a coach.

102. 102 ACViking said at 3:26 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

After the 1997 season, Lurie made it clear he wanted to bring in someone GM above Rhodes.

Weeks passed. Then the draft.

Finally, in early May 1998 following the draft, Lurie announced the hiring of former Steelers longtime scout Tom Modrak as the Eagles’ new director of football operations.

Same thing happened after Modrak’s firing (which the Eagles delayed until after the 2001 draft).

Reid wanted Tom Heckert. But the Dolphins wouldn’t release Heckert until after the May 2001 draft.

I’m sure Lurie hoped to get someone on board sooner than later. But teams keep their quality personnel guy’s locked up until after free agency and the draft.

Tough situation.

103. 103 ACViking said at 3:10 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

“Plenty of teams fire GM/personnel guys and coaches at the end of the season, bring in new people/approaches and make it work.”
    ________________

Agree for sure.

And insofar as other teams with new GMs and coaches spent the previous year scouting players who won’t fit the coach’s scheme, I assume ownership takes that transition into account.

It’s the sort of point that, during GM interviews, you’d expect to be discussed.

But Kelly’s inflexibility with HWS for lots of positions may distinguish Roseman’s situation from other new GMs.

Thinking back to last December and January, just before and after Kelly assumed full control, one of the stories going around was Roseman didn’t fill the draft board with “Kelly-type” players.

Not saying Roseman gets a blank check for the 2016 draft.

Suggesting, though, that Kelly’s inflexibility may have set back the 2016 process enough that it’s a consideration two-three years from now when evaluating Roseman’s performance — both in terms of the draft and the rookie FAs signed afterward.

104. 104 Telmert said at 8:18 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Great point. It seems like Howie has always been about more draft picks – I seem to remember him talking about research that said that teams with the most picks have the best drafts. It will be interesting to see if they go the other way and try to convert some of their 2016 picks to 2017 for exactly the reason you outlined.

105. 105 Gian GEAGLE said at 1:13 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

So much for the press Confrence Lurie promised explaining everything, after he asked multiple times to trust him
    Shocker…. As if it wasn’t already clear that Roseman was the GM again..
    Im fine with the results, but I don’t like being lied to by an owner with no balls who is afraid to admit who is running his team over public perception…grow a pair LURIE, for something other than Taking a stand against your Scrooge coach trying to bring down a Christmas Party… Weak..
    Thankfully im fine with Roseman in charge or Id really be annoyed

106. 106 ACViking said at 1:23 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

“I don’t like being lied to by an owner with no balls who is afraid to admit who is running his team over public perception. . . “
    ______________

Fans unhappy with Lurie can take the time to write him a personal letter. (The ad hominems can even be included.)

‘Cause I doubt Lurie’s scrolling through IB to see who’s saying he’s a liar with no courage.

107. 107 FairOaks said at 3:58 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

He said at the time there was likely to be a hire after the draft, though also likely one before the draft. I don’t think his promised “press conference” was going to be until after the draft.

108. 108 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:50 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Lol if the hire was after the draft, that means that he would have been saying that it’s all Howies show, which he refused to say,even tho we knew it to be the case,,
    If he said they would make the hire after the draft, while refusing to admit Hpwie is in charge, don’t you think a media member would say, excuse me, but if you don’t hire someone TIL after the draft, you are saying that Howie is handling the contracts, HOWIE is in Charge of the draft, and how is in Charge of Free agency, which like the weak spineless owner he is, refused to admit it even tho everyone knew what the deal was… So NO, he NEVER said he would “clear it up, AFTER the draft” because if he had, he wouldn’t have been able to deny that HOWIE is the GM… Logically…

109. 109 FairOaks said at 6:08 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Even under Kelly this past year, Howie was responsible for contracts. Per Chip, he presented Kelly with various player move options which would be viable financially, and Kelly picked between them.

Lurie did try to make a big deal of Donahoe being promoted, so perhaps he does have more sway when it comes to the draft. Clearly Roseman is back into player personnel, though. It’s hard to say whether Lurie gave him final say over the draft (or more to the point, draft board) or if Lurie would side with Donahoe there. I would say, at the very least, that Roseman would likely be responsible for trades now, where that was Kelly before. It’s quite possible the structure did not revert fully to Roseman having complete control, though it clearly is going in that direction.

I think Lurie was being noncommittal because the final situation might well depend on the quality of personnel guy we hire — the better the guy, the more power he would have. And guys with reasonable power are simply not available at this time of year — that would have to wait for after the draft. So while Roseman probably has the most influence of anyone over this draft, it may not stay that way afterwards.

110. 110 Anders said at 1:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

We had no scouting chief since start of 2015

111. 111 ACViking said at 1:44 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Kelly was de facto head of scouting.

112. 112 Anders said at 3:07 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Which just makes it worse because no NFL hc can handle that job as well

113. 113 JoeBlow said at 3:18 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Howie’s the man regardless of who they hire

114. 114 Media Mike said at 4:44 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

“are looking for a high-ranking senior executive to lead the scouting department and determine the fate of current scouts, per sources, but they opened their search at a time when NFL teams are knee deep in the pre-draft process and would be reluctant to allow a top personnel executive to leave.”

I think this is what a bunch of us started to assume once things kept lingering.

115. 115 Nu_B said at 11:38 AM on February 2nd, 2016:

If Reggie Ragland is somehow the number 1 pick (good job there first-pick) and we trade up four times maybe this is how it all shakes out:

Round 1 Pick 13: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 8 (NYG): Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia (A)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Joshua Garnett, OG, Stanford (A)
    Round 4 Pick 15: Sebastian Tretola, OG, Arkansas (A)
    Round 4 Pick 29 (N.E.): De’Runnya Wilson, WR, Mississippi State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 21 (N.E.): Brandon Doughty, QB, Western Kentucky (A)

116. 116 Media Mike said at 4:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I’d have a heart attack and die if we drafted Tunsil………..and I’d want my body buried in his jersey.

And I like that mix of talent you drafted.

117. 117 Stephen E. said at 12:36 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

The guy on the other side, #94, was drafted in 2015 and already has more sacks and tackles.

118. 118 TypicalDouche said at 12:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

You’re referring to Lorenzo Mauldin. It helps that he was drafted by a defensive minded coach and played in a better overall defense in general, oh and he actually saw the field more then Smith. This is no way me trying to validate Smith, just points of reference.

119. 119 Gian GEAGLE said at 2:01 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

banner was talking about how what Denver did is rare, actually building a SB contender thru free agency, handing out almost 400mil to free agents since 2012.
    Only one team spent more in FA, and it was the Dolphins. He then showed the rest of the top 5 most money spent in FA since 2012, and the other 3 teams were Tampa, Titans and Jags…. So basically only the Broncos had success with such extreme free agent spending, the other 4 teams clearly haven’t gotten their money’s worth..

120. 120 Gian GEAGLE said at 2:33 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Finally Browns put an end to the Manzeil crap…. If there is a god, Jerruh insists on signing him.

121. 121 Media Mike said at 4:42 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

And Cleveland just opened up a roster spot for RGKnee.

122. 122 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:31 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Not sure about that… I have a tad bit more respect for the Browns with Hue and the Sashi genius in charge… But it’s always Possibly that the in the end, the “Browns are going to Browns”.. So maybe,,
    I just think Hue is better than to want a QB his Own OL didn’t want to block for, and is about as mentally developed as a QB as Johnny… Actually, Johnny May actually get thru his reads better than RG3. I have more respect for Hue and not wanting to blow this second coaching opportunity he had to work his way back up to, to dick around with A scab QB like Robert “Business decisions” Griffin…

123. 123 Media Mike said at 5:37 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Did you really just write an entire post about what Cleveland might do at QB and not mention their owner?

124. 124 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Im thinking this new regime, does a “Steven Jones” sticking Jerruh “Mush” Jones in the bathroom when it’s time to make decisions.
    This is probably the FO regime/HC I respect the most in the last 15 years in Cleveland… If this Current regime can’t put an end to their reoccurring mistakes and get the Browns headed in the right direction, than people of Cleveland should just kick the Browns out of Cleveland for good… Get a expansion team, with a new fuzzy mascot or something…

125. 125 P_P_K said at 2:33 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Did you title this piece at 4:20?

126. 126 RobNE said at 2:42 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

this is funny from Wade Philips talking about his dad.

“The best one was with (Oilers running back) Earl Campbell, when Earl didn’t make the mile,” Phillips said. “It was a mile test to see what kind of shape they were in, and Earl didn’t make the mile and everybody ran up to Bum and said ‘Bum, Bum what are you going to do? Earl didn’t make the mile?’ Bum said, ‘Hell, if it’s third and a mile, we won’t give it to him.’ And he said, ‘But we’re going to give it to him the rest of the time,’ and we did.”

127. 127 BobSmith77 said at 5:35 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Really fun to watch Earl Campbell highlights

128. 128 A_T_G said at 3:04 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Is this a sign that the deal is done, or nearly so?

129. 129 anon said at 3:09 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Do have to say (a) damn they hops for big guys) and (b) haven’t heard anything about a Logan extension, is he tradeable will they let him play it out in the wide 9 and see what happens?

130. 130 Tdoteaglefan said at 3:42 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Really hope Benny gets a deal soon too…He’s been more than solid the past couple of years in his Nose tackle role, can’t wait to see the havoc he’ll wreak once he doesn’t have to take on double teams so much and can just attack upfield.

131. 131 TypicalDouche said at 3:57 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Think of what Kyle Williams did playing next to Dareus, or anybody else really, and what Nick Fairley did playing next to Suh and that’s the kind of production you should expect out of Logan playing next to a stud like Cox. It will be fun to watch for sure.

132. 132 anon said at 4:05 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

and Barwin and Curry. Backed by Hicks, Kendricks, Kiko?

133. 133 TypicalDouche said at 4:07 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I didn’t include any of those because they were referring to Cox and Logan, but in regards to those you just named I honestly have no idea what kind of production to expect out of them.

134. 134 anon said at 4:09 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I think it’s going to be a huge year for all those guys. The defense on paper is looking WAY stronger than the offense.

135. 135 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:27 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Logan is a more Talented Hollis Thomas in our 4-3…doubt he is getting away from Philly any time soon

136. 136 Nick C said at 3:42 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Bennie Logan makes a little over 900k this year, with only 171k in dead money. Is he tradeable? Very much so– Do we want to trade him? I doubt it

137. 137 FairOaks said at 4:32 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Not the Eagles’ official twitter account, so… probably indicative of nothing. Would be nice though.

138. 138 A_T_G said at 4:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Yeah, it looks much more official than it actually is.

139. 139 BobSmith77 said at 5:23 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Set to ‘Swan Lake?’

140. 140 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:25 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Or throwing pre free agency shade at Thornton. Depending how you look at it

141. 141 Nick C said at 3:39 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

So I’ve been playing around at Over the Cap calculator (geez it’s addicting), and realized that our cap situation really is not dire at all. I extended Ertz, Celek, Johnson, Jenkins, Cox (with a cap hit of 19M– couldn’t figure out how to adjust it and i know Howie will not let that happen). I tagged Bradford (whether you want to trade him or not is up to you); I resigned Curry to a similar deal as Graham. I know it will probably take more, but the Cox extension more than makes up for the discrepancy. I also traded barwin and murray for kicks. I cut Ryans, Cooper, and Sanchez. I did not event have to trade Sproles, or cut Peters or any of the tougher decisions. I know it would suck to lose Barwin, but it is not that far-fetched to have a suitor. And we may get lucky and get a 6th or 7th for Murray from a team like the Raiders or Jaguars trying to get to the cap floor. His cap number (7M) is not all that ridiculous. Anyways, I ended up with 6M+ in cap space for 2016 and still have over 50M for 2017. I also do not think the rollover has been added for 2016. I could have traded Maxwell as well, but obviously that likelihood is completely 0%.

142. 142 FairOaks said at 3:54 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Did you leave room to sign the draft picks?

You have to trade Murray; you can’t release him. Trading Barwin would open up a bunch more cap room but that is only worth it if you think he can’t play in a 4-3.

I do think the rollover is what might make tagging Bradford possible, though.

143. 143 Nick C said at 4:16 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I believe 6.7M is enough for draft picks, but more could have been created through smaller cuts or some other trades that some of us may not like (Peters, Sproles, Maragos, Barbre, Gardner, and others). Also I do not think that 6.7 included the rollover as the cap was projected to be at 157M. I do not think that is correct. I have heard 151-154 +9-10M in rollover which should be over 160M.
    The Barwin situation: it comes down to cap number vs value. Trading him would save us 6.1M; you can sign a young guy like Curry for that amount, who can get to the passer more effectively in a 4-3. I love Barwin, I love his attitude, what he means to Philly, his tweets, everything. You obviously do not cut him. That would only save 3.1M and I believe he provides us more value than that. But is a situational pass rusher (if Curry starts at DE) worth the 6,1M in savings? What is the opportunity cost of having him versus a very good quality guard, or another WR, or multiple guys for depth at LB, a cheap Walter Thurmond special from last year, etc.

144. 144 FairOaks said at 4:42 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

… but each cut you make means another player which needs to be replaced. Even signing veterans at the minimum adds up (760K for players with 4-6 years experience, 885K for 7-9), and that tends to leads to backups being less talented and the team more vulnerable to injuries. The “cheap” Walter Thurmond cost 3.2 million on the cap in 2015. And he’s not on the current cap, which means we have a gaping hole at safety again. (There are some cap games you can play with one-year contracts paying the minimum — the cap hit can be 600K even if paying more.)

The rollover is OK for a one-time expense but you can’t sign long-term contracts using it, since if you use the rollover this year it won’t be there next year. If that helps you tag Bradford (which you need to have the potential cap space for even while not signed, or in case he calls the Eagles bluff and signs the franchise tender) might be a decent use of the rollover.

Barwin will be an interesting decision. Yes, if traded, the 6.1 million cap savings is tempting. But sometimes trading team leaders can be a very bad thing.

145. 145 Media Mike said at 4:41 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I’m just about done with filling big $ holes via free agency. The only guy I’m paying top dollar for in this free agent class is Mitchell Schwartz. Other than than, I’d prefer to see more journeyman type signings to fill small holes (like we did with Thurmond last year) and just build slowly through the draft.

146. 146 FairOaks said at 4:45 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Yeah I don’t think we have any big-money free agent signings possible this year unless we lose Bradford. But even the mid-level ones add up fast. Thurmond was 3.2 million.

147. 147 Media Mike said at 4:47 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

True, but at least they won’t be scary long term like DeMarco.

148. 148 Fufina said at 3:58 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Not entirely sure you can project us either trading Barwin or getting Murray off our books. And even then i do not see how you get to $50mil in 2017 but yes we can make any moves we want… just has impacts in down the line and you have not signed any free agents at all… like guards, LB depth, WR? etc.

149. 149 Nick C said at 4:08 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I was just making some moves out of curiosity. I think you could potentially count on a suitor for Barwin. Murray would obviously involve a little bit of luck. But I also did not make any of the smaller cuts (Barbre for 1.6M, Tobin, Gardner, Maragos for 1.5M) So there was still room to do that. I had 6.7M in space and I did not know if that included the rollover (which should be around 9-10M). More space could have been made: Jason Peters cut/trade, Sproles cut/trade, etc.

I was just making a point that still keeping Bradford and resigning Curry is in fact possible without crippling our cap situation. I am not a cap genius, and I may have not been as thorough or structured the future contracts incorrectly, but Maxwell and Murray will be able to come off the books next year. I think Max’s cap number is over 11M next year… Wow

150. 150 Media Mike said at 4:39 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

SOOOOO much fun.

151. 151 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:22 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Cap will never be a concern as long as Howie our accountant/GM is in charge.even when we think it will get tight, Howie will free some space up and fix it…this man has our cap blueprint already mapped out for the next 3 years, both as best cause and worst case scenarios..
    We might have 99 problems but Cap ain’t one as long as Howie is here

152. 152 GENETiC-FREAK said at 3:58 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Eagles sticking with the Zone blocking scheme? Lean OL? Or we going back to the big Max-Jean Gilles guys..?

153. 153 Fufina said at 3:59 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

No idea, although a lot of teams use a bit of everything. They kept Stoutland and will be keeping Kelce so that suggests zone but no way to confirm at this point to me knowledge.

154. 154 anon said at 4:06 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Keeping stoutland so gotta think ZBL. 3/5 of line under contract.

155. 155 Media Mike said at 4:38 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Can we start with a “block somebody” scheme and go from there?

156. 156 Mac said at 6:40 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Let’s start by bringing in a couple free agents who have already proven that they know how to block some friggin NFL caliber dlinemen.

157. 157 Media Mike said at 6:41 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Or not cutting Mathis.

158. 158 b3nz0z said at 4:59 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

i’m no OL expert, but i don’t see why it has to be completely either/or. do you really need 5 OL with the speed and agility to pull and get to the second level? or, do you really need 5 leadfoot maulers? would it be unworkable to have a mobile guard or two, but also have some wardaddies? in my ignorant hypothetical situation, kelce can run downfield and knock a SS out of the play but maybe a big fat guard can handling a NT without looking like he’s on skates. i understand that symmetry makes you unpredictable and versatile, but how cool would it be to not have to say “this kid’s a beast but doesn’t project much downfield blocking ability”?

159. 159 TypicalDouche said at 5:14 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I agree with you and I have made similar statements about this before. I believe you can mix and match with your blocking. For example having such a smaller center in Kelce, I have been hoping the Eagles add at least one and possibly even 2 big mauling road grader type guards next to him. Kelce can always pull while the big uglies next to him handle to grunt work. I would defer to D3FB’s opinion on the subject but I am pretty sure you can have a mix variety of guys there. Plus I also don’t think any team runs zone blocking every single play so that also helps.

160. 160 anon said at 5:16 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I think that will help the team a lot. Better to have element of surprise on your side, instead of knowing that you’re running the same play either left or right

161. 161 GermanEagle said at 5:31 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Lol, I miss MJG. Not.

162. 162 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Didn’t he have lap band surgery? Or am I making that up?

163. 163 GermanEagle said at 5:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

He did, mate.

164. 164 Mac said at 6:39 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Sad story really, that it didn’t even help that much.

165. 165 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:18 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Pederson: “I always thought Sam was a great QB, but FA is still a month away and we are still evaluating. if Sam is the guy, we will coach him up to be the best QB in the NFL, and if he ends up leaving, we will have to look in the draft or FA, but we understand it’s the most important decision to make so we are taking our time”
    Sounds like the coaches are almost done evaluating the current roster, and once THATS done they will start designing schemes for the talent..
    doug made a weird statement… Question: How does the collaboration work if you want a guy, but Hoie wants another guy? Dougie: “Those decisions needs to be left to the football guys, the guys who will coach them every day, ride buses with them, be in meeting rooms with them, those decisions need to be made by the guys who will be with them”…. Not sure how to interpret that considering Roseman is clearly the all powerful wizard of OZ and Pederson is a new coach who had little leverage

166. 166 b3nz0z said at 5:31 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

yeah that’s a pickle

167. 167 botto said at 5:32 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I know how to interoperate it.
    its the first crack in the façade.
    he basically just called Howie, not a football guy.
    Doug apparently didn’t read about Chip getting fired, because he basically just made his first mistake.

168. 168 b3nz0z said at 5:33 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

it would be awesome if coaches didn’t have to deal with this crap all the time – “oh he didn’t say the exact combination of words that means A and so therefore he said B!”

169. 169 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:35 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Part of me doesn’t take Doug too serious, because it was a live interview, and he seems to be new and adjusting to his new role with the media.
    But still kind of a weird response, certainly not SENSATIVE to the non football guy stigma HOWIE has had to deal with, but whatever… Get over it

170. 170 botto said at 5:44 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I agree, but Howie is sensitive about this stuff it seems. calls him a non-football guy is the quickest way into his doghouse.

171. 171 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:45 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I know, that crossed my mind too .. Hopefully it’s nothing

172. 172 jaws80 said at 7:25 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

absolutely. Who cares what a coach says, most of it doesn’t have any consequences. Perhaps if Pederson said he loved the Cowboys growing up that would have the fans riled up a little. Pretty much the worse thing Pederson can say is that “football guys” will make the decisions, implying Howie is not a football guy. Chip said this about Gamble, “infuriated” Roseman, and Roseman fired Gamble in like one day.

173. 173 ChoTime said at 7:44 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Doug’s not the smoothest, is he?

174. 174 anon said at 5:37 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

umm so sanchez not going to get a shot to be the guy??

175. 175 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:38 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Lol Bart Scott said it was a modern day Miracle that they won playoff games with Sanchez…

176. 176 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:20 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Is our Cap healthy to the point that we will see cuts starting Febuary 8th? Or like the Browns and Manziel, will we be better served waiting for March and cut playërs once next years Cap kicks in?

177. 177 Media Mike said at 5:25 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Depends who we’re cutting and if there is guaranteed money and/or signing bonus accelerating.

178. 178 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:33 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Ok, let me put it a better way… can we Erase Cooper from this organization Next week, or does he get to remain an eagle til March?
    Figure if Doug Pederson axes him during black history month, it will be our Karmic payback for chips insensitivity and get right with the football Gods..

179. 179 b3nz0z said at 5:34 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

hahaha

180. 180 GENETiC-FREAK said at 5:35 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

hahaha straight to the point when can we cut Cooper lol Think i read June somewhere so no cap hit or something.. Could be wrong

181. 181 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:36 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Grrrrr

182. 182 FairOaks said at 6:13 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I think he gets $1 million guaranteed the fifth day of the league year, so he’ll be cut by then. Not sure there is a reason to do it beforehand other than let him catch on with someone else earlier, or if you need to clear off-season cap. But no reason to do it while games are still being played. Those usually happen sometime in February.

183. 183 GermanEagle said at 5:35 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

At least he’s not on the March cover of my Eagles calendar this year!!

184. 184 GermanEagle said at 5:34 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Is it just me or does $70m gtd money for one Cox sounds scary and intimidating?!

185. 185 Fufina said at 5:40 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Well with all these things there is guaranteed and ‘guaranteed’ money. Cox is going to get his $18mil a year, and at least 2 genuine years guaranteed, maybe a 3rd. everything else in the contract will be ‘fluff’. Having said that being so young he will probably not have silly money at the end of the contract because he could still be elite at that point and you don’t want to be forced to let that play go because you cannot tag him or last year $$ gets too high.

186. 186 Gian GEAGLE said at 6:02 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Wish we had more players that were Genuinly worth that much like Cox…

187. 187 RobNE said at 6:02 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Did u see my post to you under the last article about landlord?

188. 188 GermanEagle said at 6:29 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

189. 189 RobNE said at 6:36 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Well go look.

190. 190 GermanEagle said at 7:16 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Will do.

191. 191 Gian GEAGLE said at 6:15 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I didn’t check the #’s, but Rueban Franks says that hitting on a QB at #13 is a 1 and 6 Chance, or 15%… Rueban seems to think the Eagles “are desperate to get Sam under contract”… Doubt he actually heard anything concrete to make that statement.
    But I doubt they would keep an expensive 34 year old tackle fighting thru degenerative condition so he can finish his career blocking for a rookie… Id view that as a Poor use of resources.. If we go young, Axe all the expensive older contracts… No reason To keep JP in my eyes unless he is blocking for Sam for the next two years

192. 192 Nick C said at 6:27 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Just tag him at this point. Sam’s agent wants him to hit the market. The only way you get any leverage back is to tag him. Right now the tag is 18M. It will probably increase a bit as well. That gives us so much more flexibility in the draft. We can genuinely go for a great player instead of potentially having to reach for a QB. If your QB is there, then you can take him if he gets within reach and try to trade Sam. Or worst case scenario, the rookie learns for a year. We would be limited in free agency, but we could create space if we needed. And build our depth thru the draft by drafting talent instead of burning several picks to get to where we can draft our QB.

193. 193 BobSmith77 said at 6:37 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Wonder where he got that 15% number if it is for say QBs drafted 12-13 or a slightly broader range.

Ditto the time frame and number of QBs. It is only based on say 6 or 7 QB picks at No 13 pick, it is next to meaningless.

194. 194 Gian GEAGLE said at 7:53 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

unfprtunateky he didn’t clarify… I would think that he was talking about guys pick in the 11- whateber range,,, you would think he would have at least seperated it from QBs picked in the top 5 which I assume would have better odds, but he didn’t clarify,,, im going to tweet him and ask, because now I’m curious

195. 195 Nick C said at 6:45 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Where/When did Reuben say this?

196. 196 Media Mike said at 6:47 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I believe when he was sitting on his toiled with the embedded microphone to capture Reuben’s daily talking out of his own asshole.

197. 197 Mac said at 6:48 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Geags found it spelled out in the sauerkraut on his sandwich. And because the sandwich is smarter that Franks, he decided to share it with us here on Igglesblitz.

But I still don’t believe him.

And I love sandwiches.

198. 198 Gian GEAGLE said at 7:50 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Tonight on auck slants CSN…. Doug P made the interview rounds, he did a live interview with Barkan on CSN Live, and he did a sit down intwrview with Gunn on quick slants, and that’s the segment where Rueb made those comments
    I think Pederson was on 97.5 radio too but I didn’t hear it, it would be the first time since before chip that station got an eagles HC on tbeir airways

199. 199 Insomniac said at 6:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Rueban Frank is also an opinionated turd.

200. 200 Media Mike said at 6:47 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Correct. And an expert of using both his mouth and hands to fluff Sean McDermott.

201. 201 anon said at 6:49 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

that was embarrassing

202. 202 Media Mike said at 6:51 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Completely and totally undignified………………….and not a single other team interviewed McDermott.

Tommy’s post on that dolt should have slammed the door shut on hiring McDermott.

203. 203 Gian GEAGLE said at 7:48 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I like mcDermott using “they wanted an offensive coach” as his excuse for not getting the job, as if he was obligated to offer up an excuse…. Not a good look when you add it to him campaigning for the job on pHilly Radio…

204. 204 Gian GEAGLE said at 7:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

He is far from great, but it can be much worse than Rueb in this city

205. 205 ACViking said at 7:30 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

______________

Under that theory . . . Bring in a rookie QB and let him get slaughtered for the better part of a year or two.

If the Eagles go in that direction, is that really the way you’d expect Pederson to develop a young QB?

See if he can run for his life?

206. 206 mksp said at 9:55 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

You so often succeed where many others fail, to argue with, but not be dragged down to the level of.

207. 207 ACViking said at 7:33 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Eagles “are desperate to get Sam under contract”
    ______________

Tom Condon — speaking through RFrank — to the rest of the NFL to jack up Bradford’s price:

OMG, the Eagles desperately want my guy . . . so pay up!

208. 208 nicolajNN said at 6:51 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Eagles DE Vinny Curry has agreed to a five-year deal worth $47.25 million. $23 million guaranteed.— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) February 2, 2016

209. 209 Media Mike said at 6:52 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Whoa.

210. 210 Mac said at 6:52 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

How are you going to celebrate?

I’m gonna go get some kick ass chicken wings.

211. 211 Media Mike said at 6:53 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Just don’t miss your team flight going to get chicken like asshole Bunkley.

212. 212 Mac said at 6:53 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

haha

213. 213 nicolajNN said at 6:54 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Appropriately the man himself just posted this:

214. 214 Insomniac said at 6:53 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Damn.

Congrats Vinny but this doesn’t seem like a Howie deal.

215. 215 anon said at 7:05 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

23/5 = 4.6. Be interested to see how this is structured. But given that Mad Dog J. Schwartz is coaching the defense i think there’s a good chance he outplays the deal as a starter.

216. 216 anon said at 7:19 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

More details: $10m signing bonus. So basically only 13m guaranteed after that, not bad, probably all of that is in first 2-3 years.

217. 217 ACViking said at 7:41 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Curry’s total guaranteed money: $23M

Graham’s total guaranteed money: $17M
    ___________

BG’s contract is 4 years. Curry 5 years.

218. 218 anon said at 7:45 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

yeah same deal, they are basically in the same position when doing the deal.

219. 219 ACViking said at 7:47 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

BG will be 30 years old when his contract expires in 2018 (if the deal’s not extended).

Would be tough to make up the $6M difference.

If he puts up better numbers, though, extending his deal with some new guaranteed money up front seems like a real possibility.

220. 220 anon said at 8:03 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I was thinking the opposite, cut once it makes fiscal sense, not a huge bg fan.

221. 221 GermanEagle said at 7:14 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Howie is killing it !

Next up Cox and Logan and we will have a dominant D line for the next 5 years. Can you say Gang Green?!!

222. 222 unhinged said at 7:35 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

What am I missing? A new scheme, a new coach, and a decent DL becomes dominant? I wish that were the case.

223. 223 anon said at 7:44 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Cox, Curry are going back to a scheme they played in their rookie year, so hopefully they’ll understand basics. Cox going back to his college coach.

224. 224 GermanEagle said at 7:53 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

They will be dominant. Cox and a healthy Logan showed flashes of dominance. Tell me why this wouldn’t be the case in our new attacking scheme.

I predict 10+ sacks both for curry and graham…

225. 225 unhinged said at 10:10 AM on February 4th, 2016:

I think we have different definitions of dominance. You could be correct in your predictions for Curry and Graham, and the DL could still be less than dominant. In a season, a dominant DL is going to dictate OFTEN the tenor of the game. Very few OL’s can get the best of a dominant DL. A dominant DL shuts down the run AND gives the QB very little time to operate. In 2015, our current roster was getting gashed on the ground (in a 2-gap scheme that prioritized run-stopping). I am a Jim Schwartz fan, and I believe that he can call a game more effectively than his predecessor, but he cannot turn coal into diamonds. For our DL to be a dominant DL, I think Thornton and Bair and Hart and Allen have got to be replaced, and an end more stout against the run than Vinny Curry has to be acquired.

226. 226 bill said at 8:09 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Fits their skill sets much better than a 2 gap 3-4. Cox was drafted to be an attacking, 1-gap DT. Curry’s first step, his biggest asset, was mostly wasted in 2 gap 3-4 (not supposed to use it as a 2-gapping lineman, while it’s less important than speed and bend for pass rushing LBs). In a 1 gap 4-3, that first step is going to be giving OL fits.

227. 227 unhinged said at 9:55 AM on February 4th, 2016:

My thinking is great players adapt. Cox is great. Logan next to Cox can be effective. Curry has a great fist step. Remember now that the 1-gap has everybody chasing the ball. A “great first step” is exactly what gets a natural pass rusher out of position on runs and schemed misdirection. Curry was already on the bench for a lot of anticipated running plays, and now the run puts more responsibility on the front 4. 2 good DT’s do not = dominance. I am drooling for DL dominance, but the starting ends and the anticipated 2nd team do not get us there, imo.

228. 228 bill said at 6:33 PM on February 4th, 2016:

DL in a 1-gap scheme … have one gap responsibility. They’re supposed to get past their blocker and into the backfield. Misdirection, etc., are the responsibility of the LBs and strong safety. Getting into the backfield quickly as a DL disrupts the run play, too, as DeMarco Murray can attest to.

229. 229 BobSmith77 said at 7:36 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

It might be an above average/good 4-3 line but it won’t be anywhere close to what Gang Green was.

230. 230 GermanEagle said at 7:52 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Above average?! Lol

In Schwartz D it won’t shock me if we have 3 DL with double digit sacks next season…

231. 231 BobSmith77 said at 8:01 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

If only I could bet huge money against . . .

232. 232 GermanEagle said at 8:14 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Doesn’t have to be huge money. I accept tenners as well.

233. 233 anon said at 7:18 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

The New York Daily News reports Colin Kaepernick “wants out of San Francisco,” and that the Jets are his “preferred destination.”
    Per reporter Manish Mehta, the Jets are “intrigued,” but remain in the “early stages of their offseason planning and evaluation.” The whole thing is a bit out of left field, but Mehta is a reliable reporter. It seems highly unlikely to happen

234. 234 anon said at 7:18 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

that didn’t take long

235. 235 bill said at 8:04 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I think Kaep wants to be in NYC. For all the wrong reasons.

236. 236 Telmert said at 8:20 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I think Geno Smith owes him money.

237. 237 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 8:51 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

238. 238 GENETiC-FREAK said at 7:21 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Hmm thought he would have liked working with Chip? Or excelled anyway.. Unless Chip is going for that repetitive accuracy QB again

239. 239 anon said at 7:26 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Clearly the initial meetings with chip didn’t go well.

240. 240 Fufina said at 7:41 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Kaepernick was never a Chip QB, not a culture, style or personality match. trade for a mid round pick from the Jets who need someone to carry them in 2-3 games to get them to the championship game.

Bradford goes to San Fran to get his ‘continunity’ and we can draft a QB at 13 and build the old fashioned way.

241. 241 ACViking said at 7:42 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Was it the tattoos?

(I kid)

242. 242 anon said at 7:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

nah he’s half black

243. 243 ACViking said at 7:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

that’s well played.

244. 244 anon said at 7:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Chip is going to draft a Qb, why pay bradford 25 million to play with noone.

Geno is better than Keap i think that stuff has to be a non-starter (b/c $$)

245. 245 Fufina said at 7:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

You don’t need weapons if you are Chip Kelly. Culture + Pace + Scheme trumps all!

246. 246 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 8:47 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Worked for 2 years, largely with Andy’s players. How quickly we forget.

247. 247 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 8:45 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Sure wish you folks would make up your minds. Is Baalke reigning supreme and doing all the drafting or is Kelly? Can’t have it both ways.

248. 248 anon said at 9:12 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

49ers are drafting a Qb you’re right chip has no say in personnel seemingly, aside from through gamble.

249. 249 TypicalDouche said at 7:24 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Manish Mehta is a very good reporter and really plugged into the Jets so if he is hearing this their is a good chance it is true. Now realistically Kaep is under dictator Chip’s control and with that being said I don’t think Chip and the FO in San Fran let Kaep go. Baalke and York have been adamant, whatever that means coming from them, that they have final say over roster and want Kaep back next year. If I were the Jets I also would not let Fitzpatrick get away and go with Kaepernick.
    ….
    Seems like a big “F*ck You” to Chip from Kaep and hey throw one in there from me as well to Chip.

250. 250 ACViking said at 7:39 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

At Kelly’s introductory press conference he mentioned several players by name, including Gabbert . . . but not Kaepernick.

251. 251 TypicalDouche said at 7:53 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Sounds like an E-Harmony match made in heaven. In all seriousness though, I really hope the San Fran FO really loves Kaepernick that much that they force him on Kelly.

252. 252 Fufina said at 8:06 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Hahaha we know how well Chip likes to take the blame for things… think they start 1-2 and he is throwing his front office under the bus.

253. 253 daveH said at 8:17 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Can Manish Metiotta play QB

254. 254 BlindChow said at 8:38 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Chip will trade Kaepernick and somehow end up with fewer draft picks than when he started…

255. 255 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 8:44 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Sigh. Agents at work.

256. 256 MagSaysWHAAT? said at 9:08 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Rumor has it that Kaep’s girlfriend, some kind of DJ, has a new job in New York. Context.

257. 257 anon said at 9:10 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

“some kind of DJ” hah

258. 258 b3nz0z said at 10:05 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

yeah that’s a great one

259. 259 Gian GEAGLE said at 7:27 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Congrats to Vinny Curry on the much deserved Extension!! GREAT DAY!!!

260. 260 jaws80 said at 7:32 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Those hightlights of #91 in Tommy’s post are awfully impressive. Looks like a good fit as an attacking DE in a 4-3. Any chance Roseman will draft him? Maybe pick 13 is too high, but could trade back to the end of the first round.

261. 261 anon said at 7:41 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

No. Got 3 lineman on veteran contracts, going to be like $25m on that line, easy.

262. 262 scratcherk said at 7:46 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

So how does vinnys contract compare around the league

263. 263 Insomniac said at 7:47 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

A lot of DEs would be mad right now.

264. 264 GermanEagle said at 9:27 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

So are a lot of normal human beings…

265. 265 Fufina said at 7:50 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Is basically Everson Griffen’s deal scaled up to 2016 cap which is probably what his agent expected to be able to get. Eagles save probably $1-2mil a year over what he maybe got in full free agency, but is a pretty fair contract all things considered.

266. 266 GermanEagle said at 7:54 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

This.

267. 267 Gian GEAGLE said at 7:55 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Curry press Confrence at Noon.. I bet he won’t be able to hide a giant smile at all the questions about switching back to a 4-3 and Schwartz claiming that “the handcuffs are coming off”

268. 268 Fufina said at 8:03 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Ah man i just watched his draft press conference he was giddy man to play for his Eagles. I am so pleased for him to be able to play 7+ years as an Eagle… 1 more contract and he can retire as a Bird.

269. 269 ACViking said at 8:00 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

What about Malcolm Jenkins?

He’s a FA — like B-Logan — after 2016.

Currently, Jenkins is the 20th highest paid safety — with the 22nd highest amount of guaranteed money (on a 3-year deal, though).

270. 270 anon said at 8:02 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Can’t see them giving big money to a guy that’s a seventh alternate for the pro bowl…

271. 271 GermanEagle said at 8:13 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Quality!

272. 272 TypicalDouche said at 8:02 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I think he signs for another 3 year deal but far more lucrative eventually. I feel like any other contract signed after this Curry deal hinges on how much they are going to give Cox.

273. 273 Avi said at 8:14 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I think his age may be as a factor as well when it’s time to extend them.

274. 274 jpate said at 8:09 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Lets see how he does in 4-3 defense. I like him but he admitted he’s a better fit for 3-4. Don’t want to lock him up without being tested in the new scheme.

275. 275 Fufina said at 8:12 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Think he should project pretty well to being the 1 tech in a 4-3. He has some burst so he can attack the gap as well has holding up against a double team in the run game. Is a bigger projection however and it may make sense for both sides to work out the $$$ next year.

276. 276 Insomniac said at 8:17 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

We’re putting Jenkins in as DE?

277. 277 Fufina said at 8:23 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

sorry didn’t read was thinking about Bennie Logan.

278. 278 A_T_G said at 8:43 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I assumed you were bringing back Cullen Jenkins.

279. 279 Insomniac said at 8:10 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I’ll wait the year out before I try to extend him.

280. 280 GermanEagle said at 8:25 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Apologies if this has been posted already, but some very good points well made:

281. 281 BobSmith77 said at 8:25 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Not in Vegas. Eagles are 60:1 right now to win the SB in ’17 tied with a couple of bottom feeders (Raiders, Jags, Chargers, Bucs, Titans). Only the Browns are worse at a mind-boggling 200:1. Anything beyond 100:1 is pretty unusual.

282. 282 myartz04 said at 8:34 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Good. Tired of being preseason favorites.

283. 283 A_T_G said at 8:41 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

That actually sounds high for the Browns.

284. 284 b3nz0z said at 10:03 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

why do they even set odds at this point? i mean what’s it even based on, pre FA?

285. 285 Insomniac said at 8:48 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I know he hasn’t been talked about much but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Brandon Allen was drafted by us in the later rounds. He’s a WCO QB that has some athleticism and good enough arm to occasionally mix plays up. The problem is that he’s on the shorter side and needs to sit for a year or two to get up to speed on the mental side of being a QB.

286. 286 mksp said at 9:44 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

History is not on the side of a QB with his hand size.

287. 287 b3nz0z said at 10:02 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

honestly, though, eff history. there’s always a first and metrics like that don’t tell the whole story

288. 288 anon said at 8:50 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Is nolan a FA, he was tweet congratulating Curry, wonder if he knows his fate.

289. 289 Fufina said at 8:51 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Saw that as well, obviously Curry has a lot of friends with the team and they understand it is a business. Will be interesting to see the $$ Nolan gets offered in FA, think there is a price where you are interested in bringing him back to be backup CB/Dime guy – there is value in that.

290. 290 anon said at 9:10 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I’d prefer Noloan to Bmax but we’re stuck w Bmax. I think NC’s a cap casualty and Rowe will start, which is good.

291. 291 TypicalDouche said at 9:51 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

UFA. He’s gone.

292. 292 A_T_G said at 8:59 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

So, clearly when I posted the tweet of Bennie and Fletcher being the future and wondering if it was a sign of an impending deal, what I meant was that they are the future while Curry’s impending deal is the present.

Yeah, that.

293. 293 Greg Richards said at 9:36 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

I like Logan but with as strong as this year’s draft is at position, I think he’s replacable without giving him a big $ extension.

294. 294 b3nz0z said at 10:40 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

i’d feel bad about letting him go without at least seeing him in that new front

295. 295 Insomniac said at 10:50 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Yup. I won’t be surprised if we end up trading Bennie for like a 3rd round pick or something.

296. 296 oreofestar said at 9:04 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

Just saw the deal…. Cox is about to double that 😛

297. 297 GermanEagle said at 9:25 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

His gtd money will almost be a triple Curry!

298. 298 oreofestar said at 9:05 PM on February 2nd, 2016:

So Curry and a 3rd for Jordan still or nah?

299. 299 PhillyAvenger said at 8:53 AM on February 5th, 2016:

Put MS II as a pass rushing specialist and I think the kid will blossom.