More on the QB Situation

Posted: March 29th, 2016 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 215 Comments »

Drew Brees was drafted by the Chargers in 2001. He barely played that year, but started all 16 games in 2002 and the team went 8-8. Things looked good. Injuries limited Brees to 11 starts in 2003 and the team struggled, netting them the top pick in the draft.

Coach Marty Schottenheimer fell in love with QB Philip Rivers and the Chargers got him that spring (through a complicated trade with the Giants). The Chargers weren’t ready to give up on Brees, but they had a chance to grab someone they felt was an elite QB prospect and that was too good to pass up.

Brees wasn’t sure how to handle the situation. Should he demand a trade or confront team management? Should he just give up? Brees instead had a revelation. He decided that he was going to take ownership of the situation. The Chargers had been his team the past 2 years. He was going to embrace that fact and do everything he could to keep the job.

Brees had his breakout season in 2004, throwing 27 TDs and finishing with a rating of 104.8. The Chargers went 12-4. They were most certainly still his team and life was good. Things were more up and down in 2005, but the team still went 9-7 and Brees started all 16 games, playing well.

Unfortunately Brees hurt his shoulder late in the season so San Diego decided to let him walk away as a free agent. They turned the team over to Rivers, who has been a borderline Hall of Fame QB for them. That’s one hell of a succession plan for how to move on from Brees.

The Chargers could have worried about Brees feelings in the 2004 draft and added a player like OL Robert Gallery (#2 pick) or Larry Fitzgerald (#3 pick). Maybe adding Fitz to the mix would have put them over the top. But you don’t know if Brees would have been the same QB if circumstances were different. The presence of Rivers ended up having a very positive impact on him and his game.

The Eagles can’t worry about Sam Bradford’s feelings when the draft rolls around. They have to pick the best player for the team. If Bradford gets spooked by the presence of a rookie, then he’s not going to lead you anywhere in January anyway. You have to be mentally and emotionally tough to make it as an NFL QB.

Doug Pederson was asked recently if the Packers habit of drafting QBs ever bothered Brett Favre. Pederson laughed at that idea.

Bradford and the Eagles agreed to a marriage of convenience. They needed him to keep the team competitive in the short run. He needed a starting job and good paycheck. If Bradford magically becomes an elite QB, he’ll be with the Eagles for a while. If he’s pretty good, he’s likely gone in a year or two. If he struggles, Bradford can go fishing with Kevin Kolb and Mike Kafka.

No surprise. The Eagles are making sure they check out as many QBs as possible. Wentz is either #1 or #2 on almost all draft boards. The guy has tremendous potential.

While I prefer Jared Goff, I could easily see Pederson preferring Wentz. The big question is whether he gets past pick #2 and the Browns. Hue Jackson loved Carson Palmer, who he coached at USC and with the Bengals. Wentz reminds me somewhat of Palmer. I could see Jackson grabbing him in a heartbeat.

And I would have no problem if the Eagles did take Wentz at #8. If that’s the guy they believe in and he slides that far, take him.

This is worth noting for sure, but also remember the team was in the area already to check out Goff. Cal is in Berkley and Stanford is Palo Alto, both outside of San Francisco. Why not go look at the Stanford kids if you’re in the area?

I like Hogan quite a bit as a mid-round guy. Very smart QB with good ability and tons of experience. Might be a starter, but could at least be solid backup.

Cajuste is a big WR at 6-4, 234. And he still runs a 4.6. That’s impressive.

Martinez is a MLB/WLB type. Late round guy, most likely.

215 Comments on “More on the QB Situation”

1. 1 Mitchell said at 11:30 PM on March 29th, 2016:

I’d be happy with Goff, Lynch or Hogan. Pick the best guy at 8, if it’s not a qb you have Hogan with the 2nd pick in the 4th, not sure he lasts till mid 5th round.

2. 2 Media Mike said at 4:51 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Goff = 8
    Lynch = trade back into the late 20s or 2nd round
    Hogan = day 3

3. 3 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:51 AM on March 30th, 2016:

the Rams will łet Lynch get to #20?

4. 4 Media Mike said at 10:56 AM on March 30th, 2016:

And past it. I keep reading Denver at #31 for Lynch.

5. 5 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:58 PM on March 30th, 2016:

They wish!!! That’s a Dangerous game to play….. Think they would be foolish to assume they can sit at 31 and get him, when there would probably be a good chance a QB needy team who planned on drafting their QB at the beginning of round two, like maybe the Cowboys, would leap them and trade back into the end of round 1’and steal the falling QB… Teams also like trading back into round 1 for a QB so they can get him with a 5th year option instead of only having him for 4years taking him in round 2.
    If they really want Lynch, they should probably trade up to like #25 and take him, or risk getting leapfrogged and lose him…. Unless they have another QB like Cook or Cadale rated closely to Lynch and don’t care as long as they end up with one of them

6. 6 More on the QB Situation - said at 11:31 PM on March 29th, 2016:

[…] Tommy Lawlor Drew Brees was drafted by the Chargers in 2001. He barely played that year, but started all 16 […]

7. 7 Dan in Philly said at 4:35 AM on March 30th, 2016:

You also have to wonder if Rivers would have been as good as he has been without sitting behind Brees those 2 years.

8. 8 Media Mike said at 4:51 AM on March 30th, 2016:

I’m a big fan of “sit em” as a start to their career.

9. 9 The original AG said at 7:35 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Me too. Nothing wrong with patience to get to the goal. Rushing does not usually translate to success.

10. 10 Media Mike said at 4:50 AM on March 30th, 2016:

“They turned the team over to Rivers, who has been a borderline Hall of Fame QB for them.”

Rivers is a 5 time pro bowler, 92-68 career record. 65% comp %, 41447 yards, 281 TDs, 135 INTs, career 95.5 rating.

For comparison’s sake;
    Kurt Warner, who I wouldn’t put in the hall while a lot of people who don’t math too good want to, was

4 time pro bowl – 2 time all pro, 67-49 career record, 65% comp %, 32344 yards, 208 TDs, 128 INTs, 93.7 rating.

Eli Manning, who New York fluffers want to put in the HOF,
    4 time pro bowl, 97-86 career record, 59.3 % comp %, 44191 yards, 294 TD, 199 INTs, 83.5 rating.

Big Ben, who I’d say is better than Warner and Manning;
    4 time pro bowl, 113-56, 64.1 % comp %, 42995 yards, 272 TDs, 147 INTs, 94 rating.

So considering Rivers and Big Ben are comparable, better than Warner, and much better than Eli……………

I’d vote River into the HOF……….and still be a no on Eli and Warner.

11. 11 Insomniac said at 6:58 AM on March 30th, 2016:

You can have the regular season stat stuffers. I’ll take Warner over those guys that couldn’t perform the same in the playoffs.

12. 12 Media Mike said at 7:30 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Team game. Warner simply doesn’t have enough good seasons. He was surrounded with HOF / close to HOF talent at multiple positions.

13. 13 Mac said at 10:16 AM on March 30th, 2016:

HOF QBs should be guys who can elevate a team… not QBs who were in the right place at the right time.

14. 14 Media Mike said at 10:47 AM on March 30th, 2016:

And Warner didn’t elevate squat.

15. 15 Mac said at 11:07 AM on March 30th, 2016:

No, the only thing I can give him is that his pop gun arm was just enough, and he had seen JJ’s defensive scheme just enough after 6 qtrs of football that he was able to squeeze past us to lose the Lombardi to Pittsburgh… ugh. That game was soooo bad. That Eagles team would have face rolled that Steeler squad.

16. 16 Insomniac said at 12:17 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Warner killed us that game. Asante couldn’t cover his own ass and Warner knew it.

17. 17 Mac said at 12:18 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Warner got owned half of that game and the entire previous game.

18. 18 Insomniac said at 12:19 PM on March 30th, 2016:

We were down 14+ points by that half of that game..

19. 19 Mac said at 12:21 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Ah, I had it backwards, he was owned in the second half except for the final drive.

So, yeah… don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back.

20. 20 Insomniac said at 12:23 PM on March 30th, 2016:

You and I seem to have very different memories of that NFC championship game.

21. 21 Mac said at 12:25 PM on March 30th, 2016:

How’s your memory of the 2009 Thanksgiving black-out beat down of the below average Kurt Warner and the Cardinals?

22. 22 Insomniac said at 12:26 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Why are you changing games now? Are you that bitter?

23. 23 Mac said at 12:30 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Because that game symbolizes the career of Kurt Warner more so than the pedestal you have him on… Without Larry Fitzgerald Kurt Warner is nothing.

24. 24 Insomniac said at 12:31 PM on March 30th, 2016:

You can claim irrational opinions all you want but the fact that Warner is still one of the best playoff QBs of all time says..your opinion is shit.

25. 25 Mac said at 12:35 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Oh man, you really got me there. My mistake was in thinking that I was arguing with another human being with a brain. I’m sorry… I’ll stop now.

26. 26 Insomniac said at 12:40 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Have a good day sir. Maybe grow some thicker skin before you try to make a sound argument next time.

27. 27 Mac said at 12:45 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Check yourself before you wreck yourself bro. You’re the one swearing and acting crazy in defense of a mediocre QB.

28. 28 Insomniac said at 12:51 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Educate yourself next time. I know it’s hard.

29. 29 Media Mike said at 3:12 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Thank you for posting that, but I consider all of the positive stuff on there secondary to this;

“Think of a pie with a delicious top layer and a fresh crust underneath. Now imagine the filling as the most rancid thing you ever tasted. Would you still praise that pie or would you send it back? That pie is Kurt Warner’s career. It starts off great, but once you get to the middle, everything goes sour. For some people, it’s not worth digging through to get to the good stuff at the bottom.”

This isn’t a single Dan Fouts forward HOF QB with this level of rot in the middle of his career. To me that really makes his too far removed from who I’d put in the HOF.

30. 30 Insomniac said at 4:48 PM on March 30th, 2016:

So he couldn’t turn the Giants around (thank god). That’s still 2/3 teams that he turned around. Warner’s lows undoubtedly turn some people off but to call him mediocre? Ridiculous. All you had to do was watch him play when he was at his best and you could tell he was one of the best to ever play.

31. 31 Howie Littlefinger said at 5:41 PM on March 30th, 2016:

mmmm pie

32. 32 Mac said at 6:24 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Just posted a list above of some of his contemporaries. For me it’s not about hating Warner, it’s about the fact that I just don’t see him as a “great” QB. Whatever “wow” factor there is gets lost in the trash.

33. 33 Media Mike said at 6:38 PM on March 30th, 2016:

His absolute best seasons were simply amazing. There simply weren’t enough of them for me to see him as HOF.

34. 34 Mac said at 7:24 PM on March 30th, 2016:

That’s the big problem for me as well… those season appear to be the statistical outliers rather than the norm.

35. 35 Mac said at 6:20 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Read the article, and it pretty much sums up why I don’t believe he’s HOF worthy. I’m not a Rams or Cardinals fan, so I don’t follow either of those teams closely. I still see a QB who was elevated by his weapons and had a career that is largely forgettable.

I looked up some QBs who are contemporary to Warner and here’s the one’s I would prefer to have on my team rather than your boy Kurt Warner… Alphabetically:

Aikman

Rivers
    Rodgers
    Roethlisberger
    Romo
    Vick
    Young

Here’s the one’s I’d consider basically a coin flip/similar talent level with Warner:

Bledsoe
    Bulger
    Collins
    Culpepper
    Delhomme
    Dilfer
    Edwards
    Fitzpatrick
    Gannon
    Garcia
    Garrard
    Kitna
    Manning (the other)
    Pennington

Summary:
    There are 19 QBs who played the game during the same years Warner was playing that I think would have elevated the team beyond the level he had them playing at.

There are 14 guys who played the game during Warner’s tenure who could have probably produced similar results.

If he is in my opinion “maybe” the 20th best QB during that 12 year stretch of football, why in the world would I consider him HOF material?

36. 36 Insomniac said at 10:19 PM on March 30th, 2016:

You’re clearly delusional.

37. 37 Insomniac said at 12:14 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Took 2 abysmal teams to Super Bowls and was only one play away to winning each Super Bowl that he lost isn’t elevating squat? Then again you’re obsessed with the mediocre playoff QBs in Big Ben and Rivers.

38. 38 P_P_K said at 7:16 PM on March 30th, 2016:

For sake of discussion, does McNabb meet that criteria?

39. 39 Mac said at 7:26 PM on March 30th, 2016:

It’s my opinion that McNabb meets that criteria. I think he is a gifted enough QB that if he were dragged and dropped in on another team he immediately elevates said team (with a lower caliber QB) to a higher level. He does get tricky though because I think an important discussion is this: did Reid make McNabb or did McNabb make Reid? The farther away I get from that era the more I think they both helped and hindered each other (perhaps at equal amounts).

Some may point out the opposite of that happening at the end of his career with the WASTEAM, but I would counter that by saying that his career was basically over at that point and we essentially robbed Washington blind on that trade.

40. 40 P_P_K said at 8:30 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I agree with you about Donovan and I like your point about him and Reid. I think McNabb did more for Reid than the other way around. Andy sent McNabb onto the field for all those years with a mediocre, at best, receiving corps and expected him to make the offense work.

41. 41 Mac said at 10:09 AM on March 31st, 2016:

I do think a strong case can be made for McNabb working miracles with sub optimal WR corps. It’s pretty easy to argue that his best weapons were Westbrook and T.O. If only Shawn Andrews loved playing football… those screens to Westbrook with Andrews out front were a thing of beauty.

42. 42 P_P_K said at 12:03 PM on March 31st, 2016:

I’d like to see Sproles used in a manner similar to the way Andy used Westy.

43. 43 Mac said at 4:17 PM on March 31st, 2016:

That would be so great. I wonder if Brooks can move anything like Andrews.

44. 44 Insomniac said at 10:36 PM on March 30th, 2016:

God no. What did McNabb do without a defense to make up for his slow starts.

45. 45 P_P_K said at 8:48 AM on March 31st, 2016:

The mist of memory had covered over my recollection of those slow starts. That used to drive me crazy. I still say, though, that McNabb would have been more succesful under a coach who recognized the need for quality wrs.

46. 46 ChoTime said at 1:01 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Lienart did nothing with AZ. Warner took over and it was night and day. Warner really was that good, one of the best who ever lived.

47. 47 Buge Halls said at 10:16 AM on March 30th, 2016:

It’s all about Championships (usually) for QBs.

48. 48 Media Mike said at 10:46 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Championships matter zero (since 1960) when assessing how good of a case a player has for HOF when I stack it against overall sustained career excellence.

49. 49 laeagle said at 11:48 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Yes, but you don’t get a vote. Whether right or wrong, the championships do appear to matter for those who do actually vote.

50. 50 Media Mike said at 3:06 PM on March 30th, 2016:

At times. They certainly don’t matter for Jim Plunkett.

51. 51 Buge Halls said at 2:55 PM on March 30th, 2016:

When YOU stack it. But, you aren’t a HOF voter are you?

52. 52 Media Mike said at 3:06 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I should be. We’d have better HOF classes each year anda more exclusive HOF at certain positions like RB, QB, and WR.

53. 53 Media Mike said at 4:51 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Drew Brees is a really good dude.

54. 54 Cafone said at 2:34 PM on March 30th, 2016:

He’d seem a lot cooler to me if he didn’t try to squeeze every penny out of the Saints forcing them to lose guys like Malcom Jenkins and Darren Sproles. I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve the money he makes, but when you are set to be worth over 100 million dollars maybe you should take a few million less if you care about winning.

55. 55 Media Mike said at 5:09 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Here is a Wentz-based draft

Round 1 Pick 8: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Christian Westerman, OG, Arizona State (A)
    Round 3 Pick 16: Su’a Cravens, OLB/SS, Southern California (A+)
    Round 4 Pick 2: Connor McGovern, OG, Missouri (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Ronald Blair, DE, Appalachian State (A)
    Round 5 Pick 25: Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Kavon Frazier, FS, Central Michigan (B-)
    Round 7 Pick 12: Deiondre’ Hall, CB, Northern Iowa (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 30: Quinton Jefferson, DT, Maryland (B-)

56. 56 The original AG said at 7:38 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Wentz isn’t making it to #8. From what I’m reading, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wentz/Goff go #1 & #2 this year (in no specific order).

57. 57 Media Mike said at 8:10 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Here is a new one then. First 7 were Tunsil, Ramsey, Jack, Stanely, Wentz, Goff, and Darron Lee.

Round 1 Pick 8: DeForest Buckner, DE/DT, Oregon (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 14: Darian Thompson, FS, Boise State (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 16: Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas (B+)
    Round 4 Pick 2: Connor McGovern, OG, Missouri (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 14: Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 25: Ronald Blair, DE, Appalachian State (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 13: Brandon Doughty, QB, Western Kentucky (A)
    Round 7 Pick 12: Parker Ehinger, OG, Cincinnati (B)
    Round 7 Pick 30: Daniel Braverman, WR, Western Michigan (A+)

58. 58 The original AG said at 9:06 AM on March 31st, 2016:

🙂 That was more tongue in cheek than anything else. Still doesn’t mean they don’t try to trade up for him.

59. 59 Fufina said at 5:18 AM on March 30th, 2016:

I agree with Tommy, i do not see an issue with drafting a QB at no.8. (eg Goff)

If Bradford is not able to final convert his potential, continues to be poor/very average, then you have a QB sitting behind him developing and being able to work on his technique and mechanics without the pressure of having to prepare for games each week.

If Bradford is great then you can either trade Goff for a package in 1 or 2 years time to a QB needy team and get the value back of the pick in all likelihood, or you can trade Bradford after 1 year (his contract is very tradable for a team) and get a decent draft pick for him. Or you let him walk after 2 years like the chargers did and be in a situation to move on to your young franchise QB.

I am coming to the opinion we should be getting a QB top 10, and i do not mind any of the big 3 honestly. If there is one they specifically like trade up for him if the price is not crazy. I want us to keep burning assets taking shots at QB’s until we find the solution. I am fed up with not having a franchise QB, it means your team has no stability and continuity that you need to allow long term success. If Doug finds a franchise QB, he will be around a long time with Howie and they can build the long term foundation for success.

60. 60 Media Mike said at 5:19 AM on March 30th, 2016:

You have to keep taking shots at QB until you have the right one for long-term success.

61. 61 Bullwinkle said at 6:58 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Brees has been a great QB for a long time, overall better than Rivers. Maybe the Chargers would have been a better team had they kept Brees and drafted future HOF receiver Fitzgerald. I don’t know if it can be concluded that Rivers made Brees a better QB. Brees is a self-motivated guy.

62. 62 Crus57 said at 7:40 AM on March 30th, 2016:

I think the point Tommy was making is that Brees may have become self-motivated because of them drafting Rivers; seeing that his role was expendable may have changed his mindset and helped lead to his future success.

63. 63 Bullwinkle said at 9:30 AM on March 30th, 2016:

I understand; however, my impression of Brees is that he doesn’t need external motivation. (Just an opinion.) As far as Bradford goes, I would think his history of injury and much of the the press writing him off as a bust would serve as enough of a motivating factor without bringing in a rookie QB. He already has Daniel breathing down his neck. I’m not saying that the Birds shouldn’t draft a QB, I’m just questioning the logic about it being a motivating factor in this case.

64. 64 Gian GEAGLE said at 11:04 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Yeah, after everything Sam has been thru, he is the last person I expect to take a chance to play for Granted… Sounded like he delivered that message to the locker room last year on multiple occassions,
    always thought that a good indicator about a QB is how his defensive teammates feel about him, and my impression is that the entire locker room was/is behind SAM…
    Hopefully he finally gets a 3 or 4 year window of good health and continuity to finally really find out how good he can be… But Luck and Staying healthy will play a big role in that

65. 65 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:48 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Think the point is that two quality starting QBs is a Great “problem” to have

66. 66 Media Mike said at 10:48 AM on March 30th, 2016:

careful with the “D” word bro.

67. 67 Cafone said at 2:23 PM on March 30th, 2016:

yeah, that’s what Tommy is saying and frankly it’s a real leap.

68. 68 Julescat said at 1:35 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Brees hurt his shoulder while in SD and many thought his career was over

Miami walked away from a deal with Brees and then New Orleans signed him.

69. 69 Media Mike said at 7:46 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Peake posse adds a new member + D3’s Grant gang grows.

70. 70 P_P_K said at 8:52 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Brees and Grylls are two cool cats.

71. 71 bill said at 8:54 AM on March 30th, 2016:

I’m certainly not a college football fan, generally have no idea about any of the prospects this year even. I’m certainly not a Purdue fan for any reason – if anything, I’ll watch some Penn State just to have something to discuss with alumnus buddies. But I watched nearly every game of Purdue’s season in (99?) because I loved watching Brees run that offense. Probably the only time I watched a non-Penn State college team that much in my whole life, including my alma maters. Was disappointed that when he left San Diego the Eagles couldn’t somehow pick him up. I was that much of a fan. And I really liked #5 at the time, but I loved Brees.

72. 72 Media Mike said at 10:02 AM on March 30th, 2016:

“Whether it was Roseman who took public responsibility for Smith or Kelly who ultimately pulled the trigger on the Louisville linebacker, it is fair to say that the decision was far from unanimous in the war room that night.

“Personally, I had Smith with a third-round grade,” the source said. “That was one of the shockers of the first round — that he went as high as he did.””

REACH!

73. 73 A_T_G said at 10:14 AM on March 30th, 2016:

That article is a pretty damning view of Kelly. The night before the draft he goes into the room where the scouting department has the board set and moves guys around, pull cards off the board and throws them away? And that was before he actually had control. Wow.

74. 74 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:47 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Lol @ Chip ”MIKE Martz jr” kelly aka “the Mad King”

75. 75 Tumtum said at 1:58 PM on March 30th, 2016:

The head scratching part is his complete inability to ever accept responsibility. Such a stark difference from Reid who would fall on any sword or sharp object laying around. I have never heard Chip actually accept responsibility for anything. Sure toward the end of the season he finally admitted that the coaches could do a better job.

If the leader of an organization is never culpable how will there ever be growth?

76. 76 Cafone said at 2:21 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I think Chip would be willing to accept responsibility among his equals, but he’s not going to discuss it with the media who he considers to be idiots.

The problem is that Chip doesn’t think he has any equals… maybe Belichick? Maybe he calls up Bill and says ‘yeah I really screwed the pooch on that one.”

77. 77 Tumtum said at 8:34 AM on March 31st, 2016:

I can see that. Don’t agree with the thinking at all but I can see that.

78. 78 SteveH said at 4:10 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Yeah the lede was kind of buried there.

some awesome quotes:

“Right before that draft, the scouts set the board,” the person said Tuesday. “Then Chip got a hold of it and totally turned it around. Scouts had no say at all in that draft. Anybody that Chip didn’t want, that player’s card got removed from the board and thrown in the trash. Those guys were never even in the discussion.

“Almost immediately, you had a lot of scouts looking around and wondering, ‘Why am I even working? Why the hell are we even here?’ We put all of this work in, put the information in and Chip changed everything and took whoever he wanted to take.”

——————————

“Everything hit the fan after that (2014) season. Chip left town almost immediately. Howie fired [Gamble] and then Chip gets hold of it, comes right back to the building and put his foot down [to owner Jeffrey Lurie].

“I knew right there it was the beginning of the end for Chip. He did everything he wanted. He had to win and win big to hold onto his job after that season. Meanwhile, Howie was away from personnel decisions, preparing to be back in charge, if that chance ever came.”

79. 79 Buge Halls said at 10:19 AM on March 30th, 2016:

I’ve read many “draft experts” who had him in mid-second as well, so according to some, not too much of a reach. He’s still got time to come around. He did look good against NY in the last game, but then again, it was NY, so not much competition!

80. 80 Anders said at 10:37 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Its still only 1 scout.

But this article pretty much puts every draft pick on Kelly’s shoulders no matter what

81. 81 RogerPodacter said at 10:43 AM on March 30th, 2016:

the article makes it sound like it was one of OUR scouts that said this. pretty intense accusations. holy crap.

82. 82 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:56 AM on March 30th, 2016:

When Roseman has to Beg Chip to not draft a player because he is certain we can get the same player Later, that should have been a giant red flag, but I was busy Chugging Cultish mass suicide, poison flavored Kool aid, hoping that it was going to be a learning experience for chip that would make him a better NFL decision maker in the future…
    Hopefully Chip has a BIG season in San Fran, wrestlers power away from Baalke, and we can sit and enjoy Chips roster moves from a far

83. 83 TypicalDouche said at 2:07 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Honestly as much as I dislike Kelly, Baalke might be an even worst evaluator of talent then Chip was. Its fun seeing the Niners crash and burn after the horrendous moves they have made in recent years.

84. 84 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:53 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Baalke had a lot of picks These last few years, so he tried to take advantage of injured Talemt that he had to redshirt falling to later rounds, and all those injured players they drafted didn’t amount to much..
    With all the injured players Baalke Drafted, and Chip being so willing to completely over look injury history, lol should be an entertaining ride to view from a far

85. 85 Cafone said at 2:10 PM on March 30th, 2016:

There may be no real evidence for it, but I still say Chip was going to take Dion Jordan over Lane Johnson. What a disaster that would have been! Without Lane Johnson on the roster now, the Eagles retooling would have been more of a rebuilding.

86. 86 Sean Stott said at 11:37 AM on March 30th, 2016:

I haven’t read the article yet (I will), but reaches and busts happen to virtually every team. You’re always projecting, and it isn’t a game of perfect information. Sometimes you roll the dice and it doesn’t work out. That’s the draft, and that’s life.

87. 87 Cafone said at 2:18 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Yeah, but the goal of the player personnel department is to minimize the risks. If you throw their input out the window and then fail you don’t have much room to say “welp, it happens to everyone!”

88. 88 laeagle said at 11:42 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Sorry, but consensus was that Smith was a first round pick. Maybe not where we picked him, but he was going in the first round. There was a run on DEs right after that, including several players who had been ranked lower than Smith (Laurence in Dallas, for example).

Any clown can tell you it was a reach after the fact. But at the time, it was not the reach that many have claimed. That many, for some reason, continue to claim, only now with the disingenuous benefit of hindsight.

89. 89 laeagle said at 11:45 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Now reading that article, I see that it appeared to be someone internal that made the claim about Smith. I still think he wasn’t near the reach that some claim, based on draft position and without hindsight.

But that article is interesting, at the very least. Doesn’t paint Chip and Gamble in the best light.

90. 90 Media Mike said at 3:05 PM on March 30th, 2016:

All of the best available info on Marcus Smith was end of 2nd / top of 3rd guy. NFL.com had him a low as a 4th rounder.

He went 26 because somebody on the team panicked that a pass rusher wouldn’t be available later in that draft and there was a rumor the Redskins would take him at the top of the 2nd round.

I can 100% assure you that many of us were screaming “REACH” at the time of the pick.

91. 91 Insomniac said at 4:56 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I realllllly wanted to get through the week without hearing about Chip Kelly. Glad he’s gone and thanks Lurie for getting rid of that cancer. However, I can’t take anything from nj.com seriously.

92. 92 Bob Brewer said at 5:38 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I don’t care as much if the Eagles reach for someone who can play. It’s not perfect but OK. The Eagles reach for people who can’t play.

93. 93 Buge Halls said at 10:07 AM on March 30th, 2016:

“Rivers, who has been a borderline Hall of Fame QB for them” – Can’t tell if sarcasm or serious! I don’t see that, not even close.

94. 94 Sean Stott said at 11:35 AM on March 30th, 2016:

You don’t think Rivers has been a HOF QB? That dude is money and has been for years.

95. 95 Insomniac said at 12:53 PM on March 30th, 2016:

What has he done that has made him a HoF QB?

96. 96 MattE said at 12:55 PM on March 30th, 2016:

…..hence the borderline comment.

97. 97 Insomniac said at 1:27 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Yes I know but Sean thinks that Rivers is a HoF QB.

98. 98 Tumtum said at 1:54 PM on March 30th, 2016:

If he wins a Superbowl before he retires he is going to be a finalist multiple times at the very least. Unfortunately his wagon seems pretty hitched to SD.. so that aint gonna happen.

99. 99 Buge Halls said at 3:10 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Money? 5 playoff wins? Sounds more like spare change.

100. 100 MattE said at 12:51 PM on March 30th, 2016:

95.5 Career passer rating.

#8 all time. Not bad

….Terry Bradshaw = 138th.

101. 101 ChoTime said at 1:04 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Yep. All he’s done is been an elite QB for almost a decade. That’s it!

102. 102 Tumtum said at 1:53 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Not to mention his ability to actually play well the last few seasons with such dregs surrounding him.

I would say he is closer to the Hall than Donovan McNabb, and that is easily our best QB of old.

103. 103 Cafone said at 2:01 PM on March 30th, 2016:

QB stats mean nothing outside of the context of the era in which the QB played. Unless of course you think Chad Pennington was better than Dan Marino and Roger Staubach.

104. 104 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:46 AM on March 30th, 2016:

My personal assumption is that we are going to end up taking a mid round type like Hogan, not because we already have SAM, but because I don’t think Goff nor Lynch are special enough, and I don’t expect Wentz to fall to #8
    For me, getting a guy like Hogan with the Boykin pick we get from steelers would be ideal. It doesn’t have to be Hogan, but I would like it to be a mid round guy.
    I don’t expect us to like Goff or Lynch enough, but if im wrong and they love him, then they should draft him, even tho I’m very much interested in seeing BRADFORDS future as the grand Puba of our offense
    Have two quality starting QBs is a “problem” I welcome with open arms

105. 105 Media Mike said at 10:48 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Hogan would seem a tad rich for the 4th round.

106. 106 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:51 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Isn’t the steelers pick a 5th rounder?

107. 107 Media Mike said at 10:55 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Yes. Brain fart.

108. 108 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:58 AM on March 30th, 2016:

You may not be wrong tho,,, Its plausible that a team would take him off the board before he got to us in the 5th, so taking him with the Boykin pick may not be realistic just by the nature of Qbs typically getting over drafted
    I would never want to see us spend pick #100 on Hogan.

109. 109 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:52 AM on March 30th, 2016:

My condolences to all the delusion Deangello Russell fans… I can’t stop laughing

110. 110 Will:Howie is Nino Brown said at 11:46 AM on March 30th, 2016:

He has fans?

111. 111 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:50 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Silly SIXER fans who massively over rated him

112. 112 MattE said at 12:48 PM on March 30th, 2016:

i hope Kobe fights him as his last hoorah!

113. 113 A_T_G said at 12:49 PM on March 30th, 2016:

114. 114 Tumtum said at 1:51 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Haven’t been following NBA this season. Context plz! This is fine meme material though.

115. 115 TypicalDouche said at 1:55 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Russell secretly recorded a conversation between him and Nick Young where Young basically admitted to cheating on his famous fiancée Iggy Azalea. Somehow the video was leaked to the public and most likely ruined Young’s relationship, although you can say he ruined it on his own by cheating. The entire Lakers team has shunned Russell.

116. 116 Cafone said at 1:56 PM on March 30th, 2016:

It certainly puts any maturity concerns about Okafor and Embiid in a different light.

117. 117 TypicalDouche said at 1:57 PM on March 30th, 2016:

You’re absolutely right. Russell may be 20 years old but he clearly seems to act like a 13 year old.

118. 118 Cafone said at 2:14 PM on March 30th, 2016:

How bad do you think it is in LA? Are the Lakers going to need to move him after this? If so, should the Sixers be interested?

119. 119 TypicalDouche said at 2:20 PM on March 30th, 2016:

That’s a good question pal. I know the Lakers have been trying to rid themselves of Nick Young so I believe his time in LA is done for sure. Now as for Russell, I don’t think LA should consider moving on from him even with this damning situation looming over them. As it stands the Lakers only have 3 players worth keeping on the roster past this year and they are Russell, Clarkson, and Randle. As for the Sixers, I don’t think I could hurt to give the Lakers a call for Russell.

120. 120 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:47 PM on March 30th, 2016:

This is Horrible for the Lakers. Russells trade value takes a Massive hit, and no team is going to bail them out and give the Lakers anything close to fair value in return.
    I always thought he was grossly over rated to begin with. im not a big fan of the kid at all. I don’t believe he will be a premier PG, and I think there are multiple PG prospects in next years draft that id rather have…. The ONLY thing that gives me a little interest in Russell is that I think this does massive Damage to his trade value and could be an opportunity to “Buy Low”

Put it to you this way, I think Mrs Buss would give her left Tit To trade him for a guy drafted in the 10-20 range like ROdney Hood, Devin Booker, myles Turner, and won’t be able to get a team to give up a young player of that Caliber. And they have ZERO chance of getting anything close to Okafor, Porzingis, Mudiay in return for him…
    There best bet is to either sell low unloading him now, or they will have to probably get rid of Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance and Julius Randle because no laker will trust this kid again, and they have to HOPE they can draft not only a bigger name kid like Ben Simmons, but a kid who already has a good pre-existing relationship with Russell, like his former MonteVerde academy Teammate Ben Simmon…. So Basically, I think this is a major Nightmare for the Lakers, and because of This, I hope we don’t get the Lakers pick tnis yeàr,because Russell completely ensures they will be a disaster of a dumpster fire for the next two years,.. Hopefully they get the #3 pick this year, so we can get their pick next year or the year after

121. 121 Cafone said at 2:39 PM on March 30th, 2016:

It’s also worth mentioning that in the long run he probably did Nick Young a huge favor. Iggy Azalea? ewwww.

122. 122 TypicalDouche said at 2:40 PM on March 30th, 2016:

lol Very true.

123. 123 Sean Stott said at 3:54 PM on March 30th, 2016:

What’s wrong with you? Iggy is hot as hell

124. 124 Media Mike said at 3:55 PM on March 30th, 2016:

If I didn’t know she was with Swaggy P, I’d consider her hot as well. He kind of ruins it however.

Standalone / no knowledge of her past history; she’s attractive.

125. 125 Cafone said at 4:34 PM on March 30th, 2016:

She’s an Australian that does her interpretation of American hood speak. She’s a modern day minstrel show.

126. 126 Cafone said at 4:26 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Ya think? I have a movie for you! Check out these hotties: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381707/

127. 127 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:35 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Difference is its Nick Youngs relationship to RUIN, NOT Russells’s……
    Doubt other players would care if Young ruined his own relationship… Pretty big difference wouldn’t you say?

128. 128 TypicalDouche said at 5:57 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I agree. Still don’t think Russell should have secretly recorded his own teammate’s confession. Sounds like Russell wants to get inside Iggy’s pants.

129. 129 Gian GEAGLE said at 6:01 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Allegedly he tried multiple times to appologize to Young who wasn’t interested in His appology.
    lakers are the Morons that allowed their top rookie to room on the road with immature “Swaggy P” all year..
    Obviously only Russell can be blamed for this, but the Lakers screwed everything up in so many ways

130. 130 anon said at 8:52 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Just as a person that’s pretty terrible to do to someone, but your teammate?

131. 131 Tumtum said at 8:37 AM on March 31st, 2016:

Lol. Good to see Nick Young is the same scum he always was. Really didn’t like him in DC.

132. 132 SuPaFrO said at 3:23 PM on March 30th, 2016:

daaaayyyyuuummmmm..

133. 133 Gian GEAGLE said at 6:14 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Lol that’s priceless. Thanks for sharing that!!

134. 134 RobNE said at 9:07 PM on March 30th, 2016:

More so than the incident itself this shows a fundamental lack of judgment. Like an astonishing lack. In what person’s mind is this a funny joke even if you only showed it to his teammate.

135. 135 ACViking said at 11:25 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Re: 1st Round QB . . . Where’s Lurie Been?

Will the Birds go QB in Rd 1?

So far, no one’s reporting that Lurie’s met with Wentz, Goff, or Lynch.

Nor has Lurie — so far as anyone’s reported — attended their private workouts.

In past years, if a QB prospect could potentially be drafted as the “face of the franchise,” Lurie’s personally met the guy. (Recall his trip to Morgantown WVA to meet Geno Smith.)

Other teams must know that.

So, if past is prologue, if Lurie doesn’t meet any of the Big 3, then it seems the Eagles won’t be going QB in Rd 1.

It’s early still. So the Birds can bring these guys to NovaCare for a sit down with the owner.

What’s the best approach?

(1) Lurie meets secretly with them — getting each QB (and agent) to sign an oath promising their first born if they tell other teams, or

(2) Lurie admits meeting w/ them, or

(3) Lurie tells the world he’s never met with them.

Other teams may bet that by Lurie meeting the Big 3, it means the Eagles really do want a QB . . . or don’t . . . or who know.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

The old double double-cross — as Maxwell Smart would put it.

136. 136 ACViking said at 11:48 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Just saw this. . . Lurie must have been in the baggage compartment of that plane carrying Pederson and Roseman
    _______________

Lurie (reportedly) going on these visits, with Goff, Wentz, Lynch, shows #Eagles are very, very open to taking a QB at 8. #PoorSam— Eliot Shorr-Parks (@EliotShorrParks) March 30, 2016

137. 137 Chiptomylou said at 11:56 AM on March 30th, 2016:

Wow, ESP might actually be right about this one.

138. 138 RC5000 said at 12:40 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I’m pretty sure he went to Geno Smith’s workout though I personally don’t think it’s a smokescreen either and wouldn’t be surprised if they took a QB.

139. 139 A_T_G said at 12:02 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Pssh, Lurie doesn’t fly commercial with the plebs.

140. 140 Tumtum said at 1:50 PM on March 30th, 2016:

He has a teleportation device.

141. 141 Gian GEAGLE said at 6:12 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Stargate!!!

142. 142 Anders said at 12:44 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Wasnt he the guy that yesterday wrote that he couldnt see the Eagles taking a QB at 8?

143. 143 A_T_G said at 2:29 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Yep.

144. 144 Cafone said at 2:36 PM on March 30th, 2016:

That’s a dumb opinion because even if the Eagles have no intention of taking a QB at #8 they want other teams to think they will so those QBs are off the board before they pick, increasing the number of non-QBs available for their selection.

145. 145 TypicalDouche said at 2:38 PM on March 30th, 2016:

ESP isn’t really fluent in common sense.

146. 146 Gian GEAGLE said at 6:12 PM on March 30th, 2016:

,I wonder how many people who understand football less than ESP have been allowed to cover this team? I put his analysis on Amy Fadools level..
    ESP is like the “KOTITE” of Local Eagles beat reporters

147. 147 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:32 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Think that’s just as dumb of an opinion, and the truth is probably that they are still going on these visits to try and Figure out WHO they really Like..
    Probably a mistake to think they have their draft board set, and already have made decisions on these QBs…

148. 148 TypicalDouche said at 2:32 PM on March 30th, 2016:

ESP is one of the minority people that still believe Bradford can improve and be an elite QB. I guess in his eyes the 7th year in the NFL is the breakout year.

149. 149 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:31 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Huh? He was one of the most vocal saying they wouldn’t and shouldn’t bring Bradford back..

150. 150 TypicalDouche said at 5:57 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I don’t read much of ESP’s work, I was just going based off things he’s been saying recently. Also the hashtag “#poorbradford” kind of led me to that as well.

151. 151 Gian GEAGLE said at 6:02 PM on March 30th, 2016:

“I don’t read much of ESP’s work”….. smart Man!

152. 152 Rellihcs said at 6:00 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Esp doesn’t think. At all.

153. 153 TypicalDouche said at 6:00 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Completely believable from the things I hear him say.

154. 154 BobSmith77 said at 1:31 PM on March 30th, 2016:

He is wearing a disguise

155. 155 Tumtum said at 1:49 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Welp my comment above sure makes me seem a fool!

156. 156 The original AG said at 7:43 PM on March 30th, 2016:

He went to Mariotta’s workout last year right? If you are going to get a guy who’s the future face of the franchise, makes sense to meet him and make sure you’re going to like him.

157. 157 MattE said at 12:47 PM on March 30th, 2016:

…..maybe Howie caught on and told Lurie he thinks he knows what he is thinking, so reverse the thinking to make everyone else think otherwise.

158. 158 Fabrizio said at 12:57 PM on March 30th, 2016:

It’s been on BGN for the past couple of days

159. 159 Tumtum said at 1:48 PM on March 30th, 2016:

With all of the recent hubbub around the team, I think Lurie is smartly avoiding any sort of lime light.

160. 160 Rambo said at 12:36 PM on March 30th, 2016:

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports free agent DB Walter Thurmond has turned down offers of $4 million-plus annually as he considers retirement.

Thurmond is only 28 and is coming off a fine season with the Eagles. He can play both safety and corner, and it would be quite a surprise if he hangs up the cleats. It’s going to be tough for him to land a long-term deal at this stage if he ultimately decides to play. He may have to take another one-year pact.

161. 161 Insomniac said at 12:41 PM on March 30th, 2016:

He should have taken it. He didn’t have that good of a year last year.

162. 162 MattE said at 12:44 PM on March 30th, 2016:

i politely disagree, i was content with walt’s play last year…. now whether it was Jenkins next to him that helped i am not sure.

163. 163 Insomniac said at 12:52 PM on March 30th, 2016:

It’s hard not to look good when your entire defense has a down year.

164. 164 Sean Stott said at 12:54 PM on March 30th, 2016:

He was solid. He was nowhere near as good as Jenkins, but still good. A bit overhyped though.

edit: for perspective, I believe Kurt Coleman was graded higher than Walt for 2015 from PFF.

165. 165 Insomniac said at 1:00 PM on March 30th, 2016:

IMO, Jenkins had a down year last year. Dropped INTs and blown coverages. I agree that Thurmond was solid last year but it wasn’t nearly as good as people thought it was.

166. 166 Mitchell said at 3:14 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Had a ton of TFL and more tackles in general than the year before with a few less PBUs and 1 less int. He always drops ints and I think some of the coverage issues were him covering Cole Beasley. He was better in some areas that other but I dont think he had a down year.

167. 167 Mac said at 3:22 PM on March 30th, 2016:

You can’t knock Jenkins for the Cole Beasley game, unless you’re mad that he played while concussed.

168. 168 Mitchell said at 3:32 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Im not mad at him at all. I think he played rather well throughout.

169. 169 Mac said at 6:22 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Yeah, poor word choice on my part.

170. 170 Tumtum said at 1:47 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I thought he had a damn fine year.

171. 171 Cafone said at 1:57 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Maybe he has enough money and doesn’t want to risk his brain.

172. 172 Mac said at 2:57 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Or his knees. I think he has bigger and more long term things in mind than his football career.

173. 173 Media Mike said at 3:00 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Option 2 is that he’s banged up and would rather snag a million or two less by signing as teams are sustaining injuries to DBs in camp so as to not have to really do much until most of the grunt work in the off-season is finished.

But you’re probably correct.

174. 174 botto said at 7:17 PM on March 30th, 2016:

what good’s a brain with out money

175. 175 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:28 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I assume he is leaning towards retiring and focusing on his documentary productions, one of which begins filming soon… Sounds to me like he values walking away healthy as someone who has been injured for a large portion of his career, and has a job he is equally passionate about waiting for him
    I don’t think the issue is the amount of money offered to him to play football. I get the impression he is ready to walk away, but im sure we will find out soon one way or the other

176. 176 ChoTime said at 12:59 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Nice article, TL. I would say it’s a pretty big stretch to compare Brees with Bradford in any capacity besides the abecedarian one.

**okay, I just wanted to work that word in.

177. 177 Tumtum said at 1:46 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Might seem like it now, but before his break out year they sure seemed similar. Only difference being that Sammy B was much more highly thought of as a prospect.

178. 178 Dave said at 3:10 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I’ll admit it, I had to look that word up. I also now know that a synonym for abecedarian is tenderfoot.

179. 179 A Roy said at 6:18 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I thought it was alphabetical.

180. 180 Mac said at 6:22 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Apparently also novice.

181. 181 A_T_G said at 6:38 PM on March 30th, 2016:

So when the drill sergeant wants the new recruits to line up alphabetically, he can yell, “Let’s go, abecedarian you abecedarians!”

182. 182 The original AG said at 7:46 PM on March 30th, 2016:

When I see big words it reminds me of this on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air:

183. 183 Insomniac said at 1:06 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Howie is only visiting the white QBs. Chip wasn’t the racist one after all!!!

184. 184 Julescat said at 1:30 PM on March 30th, 2016:

maybe they self identify as other races?

185. 185 TypicalDouche said at 1:42 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Didn’t he visit Dak Prescott though?

186. 186 Media Mike said at 2:58 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Insomniac say quarterbacks, not h-backs.

187. 187 Insomniac said at 5:03 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Fine I’ll give you this one.

188. 188 ChoTime said at 4:25 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Is Dak Prescott a real name? I’m tempted to steal it for a story I’m writing…

189. 189 TypicalDouche said at 5:59 PM on March 30th, 2016:

lol His name is actually “Rayne Dakota Prescott” but he goes by Dak, which I think is the right decision considering its highly doubtful any man would like to be referred to as Rayne.

190. 190 RogerPodacter said at 6:03 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Ron + Dayne = Rayne, maybe his parents were big fans of his? haha

191. 191 ChoTime said at 6:39 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Sheeyit, if football doesn’t work out, he can always be a male stripper and not even use an alias.

192. 192 MattE said at 3:15 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Chip likes Samoans

193. 193 A Roy said at 6:17 PM on March 30th, 2016:

It looks as though he likes do-si-do and thin mints, too.

194. 194 ChoTime said at 1:13 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Doctors Can Now Diagnose Concussions With Just A Blood Test

195. 195 Tumtum said at 1:45 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Don’t have time to read right now. Would be awesome if it would show up instantly. Take all of the guess work out of this mess.

196. 196 Dave said at 3:08 PM on March 30th, 2016:

This is a true game changer, especially for youth sports.

197. 197 Mitchell said at 5:05 PM on March 30th, 2016:

The current definition of a concussion is anu symptom after head trauma including even a simple headache. I wonder now what will qualify with the new test. What threshold has to be met?

198. 198 RogerPodacter said at 6:02 PM on March 30th, 2016:

so in theory, every player could be tested immediately after each game? maybe a day after would be more realistic.
    what about practices?

is there anything in the test that can help clear a player after a concussion has been detected?

199. 199 Dave said at 6:46 PM on March 30th, 2016:

¯_(ツ)_/¯

200. 200 Mitchell said at 7:09 PM on March 30th, 2016:

If they test everyone after every game, it will probably still be elevated. Im wondering if they will save it for players who are involved with big hits to the head, have obvious defecits, etc. I think the players will be taken out the same way but may be back later due to levels in the blood still being high. In other words, the blood test wont change when they leave a game, rather when they get put back in. If someone gets head trauma and has no symptoms its 1. Not a concussion because no symptoms are present and 2. Wont get tested because there is not suspicion in the first place.

201. 201 A_T_G said at 1:25 PM on March 30th, 2016:

So many questions… Why is there an annual substances of abuse testing period? Isn’t the whole year the substances of abuse testing period? Why does the substances of abuse testing period start on 4/20? Does fast food count as a substance of abuse? Social media? The English language?

202. 202 A_T_G said at 1:28 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Sorry, I was Twitterpated.

203. 203 Media Mike said at 3:20 PM on March 30th, 2016:

What must suck is being tested at the end of the window rather than the beginning. If they get you first thing on April 20th, you now have about 11 straight months to enjoy yourself. If they get you in August you just had 3+ months of freedom taken away.

I’m actually shocked the league doesn’t have “pee days” over 8 days in June and do every team’s drug test live on the air over 2 to 3 hour period to fill up more programming time on NFL network.

And before anybody says “The NFLPA would never agree to it”, what if it was part of the trade off on Goodell’s powers?

Plus, certain guys aren’t that shy about what they use to generate urine.

204. 204 Cafone said at 4:54 PM on March 30th, 2016:

How The NFL Uses Marijuana To Hide Its Painkiller Problem
    The NFL will happily suspend stoners to distract the public from its real drug problem: painkillers.

205. 205 E.A.G.L.E.S said at 6:05 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Whichever QB the Eagles draft, I hope I don’t hear Doug Peterson say that the kid reminds him of himself when he played.

206. 206 Media Mike said at 6:41 PM on March 30th, 2016:

That would be bad.

207. 207 Rambo said at 6:52 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Former front office member says Chip Kelly ignored Eagles scouts in the draft and did whatever he wanted…..

208. 208 Media Mike said at 7:03 PM on March 30th, 2016:

NJ . com had this earlier. Truly embarrassing.

209. 209 Dave said at 7:13 PM on March 30th, 2016:

210. 210 A_T_G said at 7:00 PM on March 30th, 2016:

Greg retweeted this, but I didn’t see it make it over here:

211. 211 The original AG said at 9:04 PM on March 30th, 2016:

212. 212 RobNE said at 9:08 PM on March 30th, 2016:

I need details. What did they order?

213. 213 tkw5023 said at 10:32 PM on March 30th, 2016:

stay far, far away from Hogan. he’s got one of the weakest arms in the class. doesn’t matter how smart he is if he can’t get the ball down the field. would be waste of a pick

214. 214 The original AG said at 10:43 PM on March 30th, 2016: