Coaching Talk

Posted: May 26th, 2016 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 66 Comments »

Jim Schwartz got to hold his first extended press conference on Tuesday. It went on and on. Heck, I’m not sure it’s over yet. I kid, I kid. The PC lasted almost 28 minutes and Schwartz covered all kinds of topics, offering lots of interesting thoughts.

He seems very excited by the duo of Malcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod. Schwartz said they would be one of the best Safety tandems in the league. He mentioned several times in the PC that you can’t judge players based on these limited practices, but then went rogue.

“I’m sort of violating my own rule of judging too much into this time of year, but … both of those guys are veteran players and you can see in them right away that they’re both multi-dimensional,” Schwartz said. They communicate very well, they can cover a lot of ground, they can blitz, they can play man, they can play zone – I’d be very surprised as the year went on if they’re not one of the better safety tandems in the NFL. They’ve been very impressive so far.”

You can actually get a good feel for Safeties in these practices. You can see them get players lined up correctly. You can see them diagnose plays. You can see them cover. You can see how quickly they come down to the LOS on run plays. You just can’t see them hit or tackle. Jenkins and McLeod are both proven hitters/tacklers so that’s not a concern with them.

I liked the fact Schwartz talked about experimenting with players. If he wants to get a good feel for Jalen Mills, he needs to see Mills go against the starters. That means Mills got some reps with the 1’s. It doesn’t mean the player ahead of him did anything wrong. Coaches have to move guys up and down to see them go against different levels of competition. The coaches were tired of seeing Mills cover rookies. They wanted him covering some veterans. Sounds like Schwartz saw some good things.

Yeah, it’s a little too early to put anything on him. He’s been impressive so far. But we haven’t really even started yet, to tell you the truth. He’s got a lot to learn, and his head’s probably swimming a little bit. But what he has shown is he’s a very good athlete. He can play the ball, and he’s comfortable being on an island. I think if you were check-marking things for corners, those would be three near or at the top.

I also think Mills is smart and instinctive in coverage. That helps him a lot.

Schwartz said the coaches are still figuring out how to use the LBs. They could either declare them to be LLB-MLB-RLB or SAM-MLB-WLB. That means either left-middle-right or lining up based on the TE and strength of the formation. Schwartz has done both in the past.

Schwartz said good things about UDFA LBs Quentin Gause and Myke Tavarres. He hedeged rather than over-praising them, but it sounded like he was happy the Eagles were able to get both on board after the draft. Tavarress got the bigger bonus. He is a better athlete and has more upside. In college, he played more like a DE. He’s now adjusting to moving off the ball and attacking.

We got some real good insight on 7th round pick Joe Walker, who is the backup MLB.

You know, Joe has — it’s very difficult to play linebacker, and I’ll throw [Blake] Countess in there too, safety. Those are positions that you have to know where all the pieces fit together, and you’ve got to be the guys that are making calls on the run. Joe’s going through a little different experience going from the system he played in college where he was a lateral player. He wasn’t attacking the line of scrimmage, north-south guys, more lateral. So he’s learning on the way. But he’s shown he can make a play in the passing game. He’s a good athlete, he’s long, he’s hard to throw. He didn’t have a very good day today, but it starts to creep up on those guys. They feel comfortable with one thing, and all of a sudden you’re adding three more defenses. They’re going out and trying to execute those. All their heads are swimming right now. But they will start to come back.

Walker can be up and down for now. Training Camp is when the pressure will be on. If he’s still struggling at that point, the team will need to add a veteran to back-up Jordan Hicks. Stephen Tulloch is still a Lion, but keep your eyes on that situation.

Schwartz offered some encouragement in regard to Marcus Smith.

I think the biggest thing when you’re talking about a young player is allowing him to grow at, I guess, at the right pace. I don’t know if that’s the best way to put it. But first of all, let’s reserve judgment on any of those guys until the pads come on. But this is a scheme that greatly limits what he’s asked to do. Very easy in theory, difficult in execution, but easy in theory. Should allow him to play fast, attack spots, you know, give him a little bit less responsibility but hopefully allow him to make a greater impact. He’s very athletic. He’s got great size. He’s done very well so far, but let’s reserve judgment on any of these guys until we get pads on them.

Clearly Smith did not pan out as a 3-4 OLB. That still surprises me. I thought he had really good LB skills and a nice mixture of size and athleticism. Something just didn’t click. Playing DE for Schwartz gives him one of the simplest jobs in the NFL: Go get the QB. That’s literally it. Those guys are taught to “play the run on the way to the QB”.

Forget about Smith as a former 1st rounder for now. If he can become a good backup DE, he’ll help the 2016 Eagles. Brandon Graham was in a similar situation a few years back. That was mainly due to injury, but the point is the same. He became a valuable role player and then moved up to being a starter. Smith has had a painfully slow start to his career, but this is a chance for him to re-make himself and contribute on defense.

PE.com has all the quotes here.

Or you can go watch the PC here.

There has been some talk about Sam Bradford as the #1 QB because of comments by Schwartz and OC Frank Reich. To me, this is much ado about nothing.

Schwartz said this.

You know, there’s a lot of things. I think I probably would say similar to some of these other questions I had. Don’t judge him on somebody else, and then also don’t predetermine the results of the race. Just let him go play. Don’t put pressure on him.

BGN has the details on Reich’s comments.

Angelo Cataldi: We’re getting the sense, Frank, that that’s not going to happen, that there isn’t a quarterback competition, that Bradford is the No. 1. Is that the right impression?

Frank Reich: “No, that’s probably not the right impression. I’ve been around this business a long time as a player and as a coach, and one of the things I’ve really come to appreciate is it’s not a contradiction to say you’ve got to have order. Because if you don’t order it’s chaos. So, if you’re the head coach you gotta come in and you’ve gotta establish order. There has to be organization, there has to be order, but the other thing that — as coaches — that you’ve got to establish is a culture of competition. This is one of the most competitive industries in the world and so, to say that there’s not competition, that’s just the furthest thing from the truth. So, I don’t see the problem with creating order and competition at the same time, personally. Every one of us as a coach and a player, you’re working harder to get better, but in that process you have to establish order and things have a way of working themselves out.”

Some people want to take these statements and turn them into assistant coaches undermining Doug Pederson. I don’t see it that way at all.

When Howie Roseman and Pederson talk about Sam Bradford being the #1 QB and this being his team, they are assuming that he’s going to play well, to win the competition. Do you really want them to have to play the semantics game with every comment? Didn’t we just get rid of Chip Kelly in part because he obsessed over semantics?

The head coach can’t throws “if’s and but’s” into every thing he says. At some point, he’s got to say, “Sam is our QB. This is his team.” That’s simple and direct.

Anyone with half a brain knows that comment doesn’t mean “Sam is our QB no matter how he plays. I don’t care if Chase Daniel and/or Carson Wentz look better. This is Sam’s team.”

You also have to understand that a head coach is trying to build confidence in his players, especially at QB. Doug Pederson knows there is a legitimate chance Bradford could struggle this year. You don’t talk about that publicly, though. You build up your guy’s confidence by saying things like “He’s our starter and this is his team.”

I was and remain a Chip Kelly fan, but the thing I hated the most was when he became Mr. Semantics. How often did we hear him say something like “Sam is our QB for today. I don’t know if he’s going to get hurt or abducted by aliens or whatever so there is no use in naming him the starter for anything longer than the next 34 minutes.” ?

All depth charts are written in pencil.

The NFL is all about competition. The best players will play. Right now Sam Bradford is the Eagles best QB. That might change in a week or a month. Pederson will only stick with him as long as he’s the best option to put on the field.

Much ado about nothing.

66 Comments on “Coaching Talk”

1. 1 midnitemud said at 9:45 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Can’t wait until training camp to see how things shape up and which players rise to the occasion. Very intrigued by the CB and LB situations. There are some young players (Mills, Shepherd, Tavarres, Walker, Gause) that will definitely get a chance to make an impact and earn a roster spot.

Tommy. It may be time to remove Sheil’s name from the Birds 24/7 link. Or is it still there for sentimental value…???

2. 2 Mitchell said at 9:47 AM on May 26th, 2016:

I feel like Schwartz has some of the most informative, insightful and honest pressers I have personally seen. I like how he was honest about the players and didnt provide “happy fluff” about everyone. Encouraging stuff about Mills.

3. 3 laeagle said at 11:43 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Billy Davis’s pressers were pretty informative. He came across as a thoughtful guy, and he did his best to explain the team’s thinking.

Problem is, he couldn’t motivate my cat to lay on the couch. He had about as much fire as a pack of wet cigarettes. Schwartz has the insight but also the fire in his belly, and that’s something I think a coach needs, in particular a defensive leader.

4. 4 OakBrigade said at 11:47 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Exactly. And a few times he seems to do things differently than the things he use to say. Maybe because was “kelly’s defense”.

With Schwartz, I feel he is very smart and direct to the point.
    And I like a lot the fact that he talk more about scheme and the related mentality.

5. 5 ACViking said at 11:49 AM on May 26th, 2016:

“Problem is, he couldn’t motivate my cat to lay on the couch.”
    _______________

Busted a gut laughing

6. 6 solid said at 1:08 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Thank God, I re-read that.

7. 7 A Roy said at 11:51 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Don’t forget the squirrels.

8. 8 BobSmith77 said at 12:01 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I don’t think it was really a motivation issue as it was personnel and scheme.

He simply isn’t a good defensive coordinator and has yet to show he is a competent defensive coordinator at the NFL level.

9. 9 Jarock said at 10:01 PM on May 26th, 2016:

X’s and O’s count too. Billy was always a bit too by the numbers predictable. We give him a bit of a pass cause he was stuck running the defense Chip wanted, but remember, it was his 3rd failure as a D-Coordinator. At some point you just realize, “this guy don’t got it.”

10. 10 Dominik said at 8:21 AM on May 28th, 2016:

Nice. Very funny and accurate at the same time.

11. 11 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:06 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I like that,schwartz coaches from the sideline with his troops… I understand offensive Coordinatirs in the sky box, but I prefer a defensive coordinator on the sidelines

12. 12 xmbk said at 10:00 AM on May 26th, 2016:

The fact that his press conferences or not supporting the Christmas party played a part in his firing concerns me. Prove it years can be very successful years, but the toxicity with Roseman behind the scenes probably made this untenable. Will be very interesting comparing the Eagles and Niners over the next couple of years.

13. 13 RobNE said at 10:06 AM on May 26th, 2016:

I doubt those were primary reasons, but when you are a d$ck you get a shorter leash.

14. 14 xmbk said at 10:27 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Maybe. Considering the team was still in the playoff hunt when Lurie wanted his party, I kind of want my coach to be a dck and focus on winning. But it’s true that if you piss off the media you are going to get the short end of most reporting.

15. 15 RobNE said at 10:39 AM on May 26th, 2016:

He didn’t get fired b/c of the party. D3FB said it better than me.

Are you pining for him, if so why would you think Chip would turn the team around in 2016? I think if anything he had the team pointed in a bad direction.

16. 16 xmbk said at 1:20 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I just think it will be interesting. Last season was one of the weirdest I remember, and the team sucked. But in most cases like that a coach would have a chance for a prove it year. There was a lot happening behind the scenes, and I’m curious as to how much was Kelly being the stereotypical college coach who couldn’t adjust to the bigs, and how much was the Eagles organization not being well built to support it’s coaches and team.

17. 17 RobNE said at 5:26 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I think it’s not most cases because he had personnel control too. So the damage, or risk thereof, is greater.

18. 18 D3FB said at 10:27 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Chip was given rope and hung himself. He was the one who grated on players. He was the one who built the roster. He was the one who paid insane money to a RB coming off a massive workload and statistical outlier season. He’s the one who traded for Sam. He’s the one who didn’t invest in OL. He’s the one who regressed as a gameplanner and playcaller. He’s the one who mandated the defense. He’s the one who went up there week after week and laid blame at the feet of everyone else. He’s not incompentent as some would make him out to be. But he asked for full control, it went sideways and he pointed fingers at everyone else.

Or we can blame evil evil Howie. Who wasn’t even in town for large portions of the year.

19. 19 laeagle said at 11:41 AM on May 26th, 2016:

It was so toxic of Howie to follow Lurie’s instructions and go meet with execs from other sports. I don’t know how anyone in the locker room could even work with all that going on behind the scenes.

20. 20 D3FB said at 12:10 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I’m sure Chip woke up every morning going “oh shit is Howie in Manchester or Madrid this week?! I can’t focus! You know what scrap all the packaged plays. Damn you Howie”

21. 21 Forthebirds said at 11:48 AM on May 26th, 2016:

I agree with everything you say except his bringing in Sam. Maybe if Chip had paid attention to the Online, Sam would have been more than mediocre. Let’s see how he does this year, even if he is only a bridge quaterback. If you were referring to giving up a second Rd pick to get Samantha Chi
    Should have negotiated a better deal then I agree.

22. 22 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:03 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Think SAM played about as well as could have realistically expected coming off a two year hiatus for a new team, when he wasn’t even cleared to start practicing in this new offense with new WRs TIL the first week of August… 1 month to prepare to run a new offense after sitting out for two years, probably means we couldn’t realistically expect to see the best SAM was capable Of last year regardless of the coaching.
    Expecting big improvements out of bradford this year… Not minimal improvement, im expectimg significant improvement, reaching a level not to many give him a chance of being Capable of.
    just going into the season being able to trust his body is probably night and day compared to where he was mentally last September.
    Better chemistry with his weapons, a handful of yoûng weapons being one year older should play a role in his improvement
    If Jason Peters, Kelce, Lane and Brooks can stay on the field, it should make a huge differnce compared to the OL he was working with last year, which also should mean an improved run game which helps a QB
    Also Think that allowing him to read defenses and use his football IQ at the line of scrimmage should make a difference compared to last year when he was essentially running a two minute offense the entire season with no time to use your brain at the line of scrimmage. This year he can take his time, play mind games with the defense, try and force them into tipping their hand pre snap, and being free to audible into a play better suited to take advantage of what the defense is about to throw at us.

So unrealistic to think that it was even remotely possible to see the best he was capable of last year, and there is a lot to be excited about and be able to reasonably expect some serious improvement in QB play this year,

23. 23 A Roy said at 11:50 AM on May 26th, 2016:

But wait, CK told us he wasn’ t the GM. I guess he blames it on the Bossa Nova.

24. 24 xmbk said at 1:31 PM on May 26th, 2016:

That’s a lot of stuff you are lumping together there. Some of it was Kelly, some less so. There’s a fine line between success and failure, a lot of that stuff goes unnoticed on teams like the Seahawks. I’ll be interested to compare Kelly’s adjustments to the Eagles organizational adjustments.

Black or white answers are easy, but rarely represent the true picture. Howie may not be “evil”, but he has had a least as many ex-employees unusually upset with him as Kelly. Personally, the opinion of someone like McCoy means nothing to me. Being on his enemy list is a good thing in my book. I also don’t understand how people criticize Kelly for the Bradford trade, then turn around and commend Roseman, who signed him because he gave the team the best chance of competing next year. Wasn’t that the same reason Kelly did it? Do you really think, even with hindsight, that trading for Bradford was a horrible move? QB is a position worth taking chances for.

Yes, the Murray trade looked bad at the time, and turned out worse. But you should know how a season can turn south when the locker room goes. Hard to exactly put the finger on what caused that, though a combination of things is most likely. Certainly the lack of organizational cohesion played a part, the village idiot Lane Johnson pretty much confirmed that. But my point is simple, in most cases a coach with Kelly’s track record would have gotten a season to correct those mistakes. I look forward to comparing the two teams development, should be interesting.

25. 25 unhinged said at 4:19 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I would leave HR out of Chip’s lame year. But the owner is another matter. Less than 2 weeks after sarcastically responding to a reporter’s question about whether HR was the GM, when Lurie said, “Is that really a question?”, he gave a press conference with a gun to his head, explaining HR’s removal, Chip’s ascension, and the immediate search that Kelly would be conducting to find his personnel guy. To me, it’s no stretch to imagine how a very pissed off owner could put his ungrateful employee on an island and watch him squirm. Is this speculation on my part? You betcha, but it’s not idle. In any case, Kelly has nobody to blame more than himself for a string of self-imposed distractions and ill-advised changes and straight-up third-rate coaching.

26. 26 Mac said at 10:18 AM on May 26th, 2016:

I think I have at least half a brain, and I support this message.

27. 27 Ben said at 11:01 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Another top shelf good read Tommy.
    I think Sam is our best shot at winning games this season as he is two years removed by devastating back to back ACL/MCL injuries and I think he is going to have a great year.
    Some folks don’t realize or refuse to acknowledge how debilitating these types of injuries are and how it takes one or two seasons to fully recover and to re-sharpen your game.
    It’s easy to say he was never all that good but when you analyze the numerous reasons as to why he failed, it becomes much clearer as to why he might find success this coming season.
    Call it rose colored glasses or you can think I am just a “Sam is great” type of fan, but I can remember his rookie season where he won ROY, but that was when he was fully healthy and he made Amendola a household name.
    Things have not gone his way since that special rookie season where he broke a record for the most completions by a rookie QB but he still has those accomplishments under his belt and that talent could resurface this season with astounding results or our WR’s could let him down and he could look average once again.
    I will choose to be positive and say Sam will thrive this season and make trading him a difficult choice, but we will all see soon enough.

28. 28 peteike said at 11:13 AM on May 26th, 2016:

That same rookie year he couldnt win the big last game to get them to the playoffs or the skins game last season (you can add the disclaimer of an awful coach/team to that one). That rookie year is over rated though, people have pointed that out in detail per easy schedule, high completion percentage per shorter passes etc. Same stuff you hear now, Ill just wait to see it to believe it. Which is a bit nuts at this stage but the injuries are just another out. Great QBs raise everyone around them but its always a convenient circumstance to give him an out.

29. 29 Forthebirds said at 12:01 PM on May 26th, 2016:

It is not an out to say he had to learn a new system virtually every year and never had a good caste around hi,m. He has had to come back from serious injuries as well. That said, he needs to prove he can be a quality QB and he has to prove it this year.

30. 30 peteike said at 12:39 PM on May 26th, 2016:

ya and its again not a great situation for him either. Just the breaks, some guys never get this many chances or make this much money either though. You get drafted in a bad place with bad coaching etc you dont always even get a second shot.

31. 31 Forthebirds said at 11:56 AM on May 26th, 2016:

I am with you. I think a lot of fans are down on Sam. because he has made a lot of money a d hasn’t had a winning season, but he hasn’t t been placed in good situations. This year should tell us a lot about whether he can fullfil his potential coming out of college.

32. 32 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:46 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Very excited about SAM,.. I expect majority of the FANBASE to change their tone Quickily once the season starts. Fans may not be excited about SAM, but most of the players seem to be, and that’s what matters to me

33. 33 OregonDucker said at 7:27 PM on May 27th, 2016:

TRUTH!

34. 34 laeagle said at 11:40 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Thank you, Tommy, for doing your part in shooting down the ridiculous narrative of Reich undermining Pederson. They both said the same goddamned thing. What’s truly sad is that the narrative dies the instant you read the full Reich quote instead of cherry-picking “naughty” bits to generate clicks; it’s not even remotely close to a contentious issue.

35. 35 A_T_G said at 12:38 PM on May 26th, 2016:

And really, if they want to show naughty bits to generate clicks, there is much more fertile ground to be tread…

36. 36 laeagle said at 3:41 PM on May 26th, 2016:

ouch

37. 37 ACViking said at 11:45 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Re: Reich’s comments

It’s a tempest in a teacup.

Much ado about nothing.

For crying out loud, this isn’t brain surgery.
    ________________

T-Law . . .

Thanks for the H/T to “Good Morning, Vietnam.”

38. 38 xmbk said at 4:15 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Tempest? Much Ado About Nothing? Is it Shakespeare season? 😉

39. 39 P_P_K said at 6:40 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Shakespeare pre-season.

40. 40 BobSmith77 said at 11:59 AM on May 26th, 2016:

Why do I think of Jenkins & McLeod as a personal injury law firm?

– Has your safety tackling been poor?
    – Have you been victimized repeatedly by wide receivers, tight ends, and even running backs?
    – Has your secondary failed to provide you with even basic pass coverage?

Then you need to turn to Jenkins & McLeod who will fight for you and ensure that you get the secondary coverage and tackling you should expect!

41. 41 wee2424 said at 1:24 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Awsome

42. 42 Will:Howie is Nino Brown said at 3:08 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I hope that catches on

43. 43 Seth S. Scott said at 12:10 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Really excited to have a solid and consistent defense for the first time in the past 3-4 years. Exciting stuff!

44. 44 Cafone said at 9:32 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I don’t know if solid and consistent will be the best terms to describe this defense. It seems like Schwartz is installing more of a high risk/high reward system. I expect sacks and turnovers, but I think they are also going to give up some big plays.

45. 45 eagleyankfan said at 9:38 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Agreed….the perceprion the last couple of years the Eagles were ok on 1st n 2nd but brutal on 3rd n long….hoping the DC changes that

46. 46 MagHelpsHubby.... said at 4:31 AM on May 27th, 2016:

They were brutal on 3rd and short too. So many times when the opponent needed 2 yards and the D would give up a 3 yard run. Coaches keep saying “gotta stop the run” . So do it already!

47. 47 Gary Barnes said at 12:52 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Agree what Schwartz and Reich said is not an issue. They are asst. coaches and Pederson/Roseman make the decisions which the asst. coaches will follow or be replaced. Also asst. coaches are focused only on the now and football issues whereas Roseman, but also Pederson to some extent, have to balance now with the future and consider PR as well.

Disagree either scenario is a fair competition: Wentz would again have to play out of his mind and Bradford would have to stink for Wentz to start Game 1. The Eagles paid Bradford an absolute boatload of $$ and regardless of what anyone says that does carry significant influence. The Eagles are not going to eat that $$ and have Bradford sit on the bench all year.

Likewise, Wentz would have to stink and Bradford play out of his mind for Wentz not to be the guy later this season or definitely next season. Again, they have invested an absolute boatload of capital in Wentz and would be idiotic in not seeing what they have soon. Also, if Wentz struggles, Daniel is probably the more likely stand-in next season. They have to get value out of that bloated contract too.

So all the relevant parties will make their statements etc., but most know how things will go unless miraculous events occur. Those could happen which is why the Eagles hedged all their bets by signing all 3 QB, but the overwhelming odds state Bradford will start this season and Wentz will take over either later this season or next season.

48. 48 Ryan Rambo said at 1:49 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Speaking of Safeties……..

Saints FS Jairus Byrd (knee soreness) is sitting out the offseason program, but expected to be ready for training camp.

It’s far from good news, as Byrd is dealing with issues in the knee that’s bothered him for his entire Saints career. We suppose he’ll be ready for camp, but it’s clearly a concern for his 2016. Going on 30, Byrd has been an injury-plagued disaster for the Saints, appearing in just 17 of a possible 32 games.

49. 49 Sean Stott said at 2:56 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Remember when everyone was salty that we got Jenkins instead of Byrd?

Heh.

50. 50 P_P_K said at 3:52 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Guilty as charged.

51. 51 RogerPodacter said at 5:50 PM on May 26th, 2016:

i saw them as 1a and 1b, didn’t really care which one we got so long as we got one. some of my friends were so far into the Byrd camp, they were legit freaking out over it.

52. 52 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:28 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I’m actually surprised at how well the media is behaving in regards to the QB comments, talk radio, and TV media are trying to make it into some big deal, but all the beat reporters from McLane to McManus ARENT pouring gasoline on the fire. Most have said that it’s much to do about nothîng, instead of going the clickbait route.
    For starters, Schwartz was mostly giving his thoughts on how they handled Stafford as a rookie which was night and day compared to our situation, Lions were coming off a Putrid season, they didn’t have any veteran QB even half as good as bradford, so optimg to go with Stafford is a totally different dynamic than what we have here with Wentz
    Reich comments I took it more as, not wanting to send a crappy message to playërs that there is nothing they can possibly do to get on the field… Im sure they think this is going to be Bradford team this year, assuming he performs how they project him to… Obviously no matter what they tell SAM now, and no matter how they think he will perform, if his play ISNT up to par, why would anyone think that they would get an endless leash?
    Much to do about Nothîng…. Hopefully all 3 QBs are perform well. The better they play, the more they push each other and raise the competitipn level, which is in the teams best interest…. Hopefully this clickbait drama is cleared up, put to rest, and eagles nation can move forward

53. 53 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:42 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I love Seth Joyner becoming a part of the local media. His analysis is similar to how he played, a no nonsense style. And While he Bleeds Green, generally he has been a tough critic and the last person who can be accused of seeing things thru green tinted glasses.
    Knowing what a tough critic he is, it’s pretty exciting to hear how he can’t keep himself from completely gushing Over Jordan Hicks anytime he is brought up. It’s not often that you hear Joyner THAT high on a player and it’s clear that he loves the kid and thinks he can be a special player for us.
    Doesn’t suck hearing him think that last years impressive season pales in comparison to how good Cox can be under Schwartz..
    If you look at how this defense has been constructed so far, a lot to be excited about. Not Only do we have a beast of a DL in place, but we have Bigtime game changing Talent in the middle of the Defense at all 3 stages:
    1) Cox/Logan should form an elite DT tandem in the middle of the trenches. “There isn’t a single Guard or Center who will be able to block Cox 1 on 1 in this scheme”-Joyner
    2) Jordan Hicks has a chance to grow into a BIGTIME Middle LB for us
    3) Jenkins/McLeod should easily form one of the very elute safety tandems in the game.
    Exciting to think of how Stout we should be in the middle of the field at all 3 stages of the game. That should be a Big time advantage in a wide 9 scheme designed to Funnell all the action into the middle where Cox, Logan are waiting to eat, and Hicks coming down field behind them.
    You hear a lot of the defenders repeat our new motto: DL job is to get in the backfield and make a mess, LB and Safeties job is to clean up the mess.
    An Attaking style of defense that won’t sit back and allow opponents to dictate to us is exactly what this city loves
    No one in our division can measure up to what we have at DT, MIKE and safety.. If our outside Defenders have a solid year (OLB, DE, Corners), this could be a fun season, especially for a city starving to see a Consistently Nasty defense

54. 54 anon said at 4:07 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Be interesting to see how big bennie does in this scheme. Got so good at eating blocks, him being out def hurt the run game and cox’s production.

Think it’s better to stop the pass considering 2/3 teams in our division don’t have a real run game but have really good passing options

55. 55 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:27 PM on May 26th, 2016:

That’s a Good point, outside of the Dallas OL and Zeke, not much our DL needs to fear in the division. Skins could have a decent run game, but our DL is the new yorks Giants nightmare, if Eli thought he had it bad against Us in the past, he probably won’t enjoy playing against this DL with Schwartz pulling the strings,… If refs ever start to actually flag him for his intentional grounding BS, they will really have a hard time against us.
    Our CB’s and outside linebackers should determine if we are a good defense, or a great defense, Im really high on Eric Rowe. I ezpect solid year two improvements out of him. Nolan is solid, and should improve a bit after he got some nice Experiemce last year playing outside, but Leodis is an X factor for us. He is a veteran with a lot of experiemce and ability. When he is ON, he is a pretty good corner. He is capable of being a very underrated addition for us..
    For a team that has Corner back as one of its biggest question marks, I really like the job Roseman did creating a lot of competition at that position, we have the 3 projected starting candidates and a lot of youmg CB talent battling to make the team… We could find out that we still need to add CB talent next offseason, but we could also find out that we are better CB than we think. Hoping for the best…
    We need Kendricks to look more like 2014 Kendricks than 2015 Kendricka. He pissed me off last year, as did KELCE, but fans are writing them off way too quick… If Bradham is the weak link of your LB group, you should be in pretty good shape because he is no slouch in his own right.

56. 56 Cafone said at 9:29 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Yeah, Joyner does a nice job.

57. 57 Lord of the Rings said at 4:03 PM on May 26th, 2016:

nice

58. 58 Gian GEAGLE said at 6:04 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Phillymag posted a fantastic All 22 article on Mcleod
    For a kid who lacks size, he sure plays Big, and plays a brand of ball that shouldnt take him long to becone a fan favorite,
    I like that the All 22 shows that he doesn’t just make big plays when picking on inferior playërs. You see many of his highlight plays come against some pretty good players. The Alll 22 shows examples of all the versatility He brings, and provides examples of his playmakimg against some quality competition like Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown. Emmanuel Sanders/Peyton Manning, Doug Martin, Forte
    Heard a rumor that Dawkins was at practice today. Look forward to heating his opinion of McLeod and our elite safety Tandem. mcLeod is like the closest thing to making up for missing out on Earl Thomas.
    McLeod probably doesn’t realize exactly how much this city will appreciate elite safety play. probably won’t be long Til we start seeing McLeod jerseys everywhere

59. 59 Lord of the Rings said at 6:49 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Big Mac!

60. 60 RobNE said at 7:11 PM on May 26th, 2016:

The Highlander

61. 61 Gian GEAGLE said at 8:41 AM on May 27th, 2016:

rockin Rod

62. 62 The original AG said at 10:12 PM on May 26th, 2016:

I only own a Dawkins jersey and in the market for a couple more. He’s a likely candidate if he’s a great fit.

63. 63 BobSmith77 said at 10:30 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Fans do love defense here and with the exception of Cox (and some token Barwin) jerseys you really didn’t see any at games last year.

If anyone though becomes a real fan favorite, I’d bet it is Hicks if he has a good year.

64. 64 eagleyankfan said at 9:35 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Good stuff. I get what type you’re saying.. i just don’t see a leash on Bradford at all. How can there be? No way Chase can outplay him. No way you’re starting Wentz. Baring season ending injury .. Bradford has to play……I’m not in the camp that rookies must sit but it appears Pederson wants him to sit n learn.

65. 65 The original AG said at 10:16 PM on May 26th, 2016:

Should I be worried about Kendricks this year or excited?

Kendricks has said about his performance:

Last year – didn’t get enough playing time and the rotation didn’t make sense.
    First year: Did a Wide-9 and he had the assignment of 4 gaps (A-D).

Is this complaining or truth and he finally has a real D-Coordinator to work with. In his career in the NFL, he’s had Juan Castillo and Billy Davis. Neither is a good coordinator. I throw out Todd Bowles because he was only for a few games and stuck with a crappy staff.

66. 66 三五美女网 said at 10:48 PM on May 26th, 2016: