Happy Father’s Day

Posted: June 19th, 2016 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 102 Comments »

Football and fathers go hand in hand. Many people become fans while watching games with their dad. I learned to love the game of football from my dad. He was a little league coach and I attended games in my stroller. I’m sure between sips of Tang (or whatever infants drank in 1970-72) I was yelling for him to run Flip 90, the greatest of all plays.

My parents divorced while I was young so I didn’t grow up watching a lot of games with my dad. We were together each year around Christmas so we watched plenty of bowl games and some NFL action, but for most of the year I was on my own. Sort of.

I was lucky enough to have some Football Dads who helped me to learn and love the game. First and foremost, John Madden. Many of you younger fans will scoff at the idea of John Madden being important to anyone. I learned more about the game of football from listening to him than anyone else. And it isn’t even close. He is the greatest football announcer of all time. I don’t think there is even a 2nd place.

I get the fact that many now think of him as the guy who loved Brett Favre and felt a bit cartoonish with what he said and did. But that’s like judging Johnny Unitas on his time with the Chargers or Donovan McNabb on his time with the Vikings.

In his prime, Madden brought a passion for the game and combined that with an expertise that I had never heard before. He was fun and smart. He talked about OL play at a time when not many people discussed the big uglies. Madden shared great stories and had interesting opinions. Vince Lombardi was the greatest coach of all time. Joe Namath was the toughest QB he ever coached against. The hardest points to score are the first of the game. More than anything else, Safeties must be able to tackle. And so on. Every Madden game was an education for me.

Another huge influence for me was Steve Spurrier. I lived in Durham, NC when Spurrier was hired by Duke in 1980. Duke football wasn’t all that exciting back then, but Spurrier brought an aggressive passing game and suddenly the Blue Devils were interesting to follow. Spurrier opened my eyes to the value of the passing game. Football was different back then. Georgia won the 1980 national title. In the Sugar Bowl, they threw 13 passes, one by a RB.

Spurrier left Duke and went to Tampa Bay in the USFL, which made me a fan of the Tampa Bay Bandits. I watched as many of their games as I could. That was a glorious time.

(best YouTube video I’ve seen in a long time)

Eventually Spurrier returned to Duke as the head coach and I continued to learn the passing game from him. And the greatness of Arby’s.

I’ve written a lot over the years about my love of Tom Landry. I still have no idea why he fascinated me the way he did. It might simply have been the fact he reminded me of someone’s grandad, but was arguably the best football coach in the world. Reading about how he developed the 4-3 defense while an assistant with the NY Giants taught me a lot about the evolution of the game.

Landry made me a fan of the 4-3. Buddy Ryan took things to the next level with his 46 Defense. He made me love X’s and O’s in a way I never had.

Mike Singletary Chicago BearsJanuary 27, 1986S 587credit:  Bill Smith - spec

Instead of a simple 4-3, you had an Under defense with a LB stack, an eighth man in the box and all kinds of shifting responsibilities. Buddy Ryan was the football version of Beethoven. There was a combination of simple and complex ideas mixed together in such a way as to overwhelm the mind and senses. The 1985 Bears defense was unlike anything I’ve ever seen in sports. They were brutal and brilliant. They were violent and versatile. They were mind-blowing.

I have to also offer thanks to the men who coached me on the game. Gene Brewer, Kim Cain, Melvin Braswell, Randy Ledford and Robert Rice all helped to teach me about the game of football on a personal level. Coach Brewer and Coach Ledford have passed on and the world is a worse place without them.

I was fortunate enough to spend time with coaches like David Knauss, Ruffin McNeilll and John Wiley while I was a student at Appalachian State University. They continued my football education, and at a more advanced level.

I am jealous of those of you who watched Eagles games with your dad and learned to love the team that way. That’s a special bond I’ll never know. At the same time, I am grateful to the men who helped me fall in love with the game of football and learn about it from a variety of angles. I would not be the person I am today (for better or worse) without their wisdom and influence.

buddy_ryan_1987_12_27

If you haven’t watched the 30 for 30 special on the 1985 Bears, do it. The relationship between Buddy and his players is special. Watching Buddy and Mike Singletary is hard to describe. It really is like watching a father and son. There is genuine love between those two. Incredibly moving.

102 Comments on “Happy Father’s Day”

1. 1 Media Mike said at 8:21 PM on June 19th, 2016:

This was really nice. So many great names in there that I know and so many that I don’t, but must have been great dudes.

2. 2 Happy Father’s Day - said at 8:29 PM on June 19th, 2016:

[…] Tommy Lawlor Football and fathers go hand in hand. Many people become fans while watching games with their dad. […]

3. 3 OakBrigade said at 9:01 PM on June 19th, 2016:

Football wasn’t so popular here when I started watching (9 years ago maybe), but I grew up watching soccer with my dad, and it is really special.

And getting influenced by some greats guys like those it is special too. Seems to be a great time to learn the game.

4. 4 A_T_G said at 9:16 PM on June 19th, 2016:

SteveH, I thought of our conversation about reffing as I watch game 7. Overall, I think the calls are better but that third foul on Curry was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.

5. 5 SteveH said at 10:47 PM on June 19th, 2016:

The officiating was a lot better game 7, the Warriors just choked it away. Awful possessions to end the game, and all kinds of bizarre choices like Festus Ezeli getting matched up on Lebron.

Foul #3 on Curry was odd, but not nearly as game changing as some of the other calls were in the other games, so I guess in the end you’ll take an egregious #3 that doesn’t lead to anything over slightly less egregious #5 or #6.

Kyrie Irving with ice in his veins though.

6. 6 A_T_G said at 11:01 PM on June 19th, 2016:

I imagine Curry is going to have trouble sleeping as a result of Kyrie’s three.

7. 7 SteveH said at 11:09 PM on June 19th, 2016:

Curry should have trouble sleeping because of his entire series.

Between the bad passes, bad shooting and bad defense he looked nothing like the MVP.

Steve Kerr should take heat too because he made some really awful strategic decisions throughout the series (not the least of which was having Ezili in the game late in the 4th.)

The Warriors really only seemed to figure out how to handle the Cavs screen game designed to get Iguodala off of Lebron tonight, it was murdering them in games 5 and 6 when Lebron would get matched on Curry or Livingston, both of whom could not handle him at all.

Harrison Barnes and Klay Thompson both were fairly putrid as well. The only guy who really showed up was Draymond Green, who ironically is probably the reason they didn’t win in 5 anyhow.

The Warriors need to figure out rebounding too because Steven Adams was owning the offensive glass last series and Tristan Thompson was owning it this series. They need a big who can actually play big and not disrupt their offense.

8. 8 Anders said at 5:44 AM on June 20th, 2016:

They did lose Bogut and Iggy was injured the last few games.

Having nobody to defend the glass and having your best defender and only guy able to stop Lebron injured didnt help.

This just shows how much injury luck matters in winning a championship.

Had Kyrie been injured again or Iggy and Bogut are healthy, the Warriors are champions again.

9. 9 SteveH said at 12:29 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Iggy was good to go for game 7 though, only game 6 he missed. Bogut might have made the difference for game 7, but honestly the Warriors had plenty of opportunities to take the game anyhow, they just didn’t.

Really Draymond Green suspension for game 5 is what turned the series. They badly missed his Defense that game.

10. 10 Media Mike said at 2:45 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Maybe Iggy hurt his back carrying around all of the extra money he stole from the Sixers?

11. 11 A_T_G said at 9:27 PM on June 19th, 2016:

This is a great read, Tommy, during halftime of watching game 7 with my sons. Thanks for this.

Also, I have wondered what brought you to the Eagles. That is a interesting path. I guess we are all lucky the Bucs weren’t better and that Buddy wasn’t hired by the Giants.

12. 12 P_P_K said at 9:51 AM on June 20th, 2016:

Watched the game last night with my son, too. If the Cavs can win a title, so can the Eagles.

13. 13 laeagle said at 10:08 PM on June 19th, 2016:

Tommy, relax, have a sandwich, do some f*ckin thing.

14. 14 laeagle said at 4:32 PM on June 20th, 2016:

man, no Jimmy Serano love around here…

15. 15 daveH said at 10:16 PM on June 19th, 2016:

George Kennedy. . Favorite actor. I get your guy Farina yep, but George for me ..and matthew McConaughey yo !
    My dad was smart enough to not be sucked into philly pro sports except A’s and Phillies.

16. 16 since1961 said at 10:31 PM on June 19th, 2016:

Thank you, Tommy, for this terrific contribution to Fathers’ Day and football. This is the kind of offering that keeps IB at the top. My Dad and I were never very close, but he was an Eagles fanatic (Penn grad, a scrub OL/kicker on some of Bednarik’s teams). Sharing that was one time when we absolutely had a bond. Sitting next to him in the north upper deck at Franklin Field twice a year was as close to heaven as i got. Thanks for making the memory come alive.

17. 17 bushisamoron said at 11:02 PM on June 19th, 2016:

Thanks for sharing your story. My father and I were not close but I think that made me a better dad to my son. Really appreciate your site. Look forward to an interesting year. Although I’m a bit of a pessimist regarding the birds I think they will do better than most people think they will do. We will see.

18. 18 Vinicius Gonçalves said at 11:32 PM on June 19th, 2016:

Hey Tommy,

Happy Dad’s Football day!!

Like all you said before, I have to tell that you are maybe the most important person for me about football. I am from Brazil and in 2008 I started watching NFL at ESPN Brasil and since then I begin to love the game and root for the Eagles. The Eagles had McNabb, Dawkins, Westbrook, and lots of greats players but, most important, a true and passionate fan base that is very similar to the one of my soccer team Coritiba (Same colors as well),.
    I remember until today that week 17 game against the Cowboys.. Man! I hated them already. But I jump and screamed at every TD and big play and I knew there that the Eagles would be part of my life until I die.
    Then, I started to read about the game and the birds, since my knowledge was very raw. The website I loved the most was igglesblitz. After some weeks, it became the website that loaded when I opened my browser. I read ALL of your writings since then. You teach me the positions, history, players, games…. You make me love the draft!!!
    I really don’t know how would it be if I rooted for another team. Who would I read? Every friend of mine that talked to me about football at least once had heard ” as Tommy Lawlor once said…. ”
    So, I think it was a great opportunity to thank you! You are my John Madden! Have a nice Dad’s football day!

19. 19 daveH said at 9:48 AM on June 20th, 2016:

Thanks Vonda. Thanks alot.

20. 20 TommyLawlor said at 7:36 AM on June 21st, 2016:

So glad I can help someone else appreciate the Eagles and the great game of football.

21. 21 Gary Barnes said at 11:33 PM on June 19th, 2016:

Thank you, Tommy, for all you do in helping us Eagle fans follow our team and find out what is going on in the game, the NFL etc. You’ve created a special place here and we are all richer for it.

I echo your admiration for Madden, he & Summerall taught me a lot listening to their broadcasts. Their love of the game shown through and their dialogue back & forth always reminded me of Harry Kalas & Whitey in their Phillies heyday. Wonderful and irreplaceable.

22. 22 Baloophi said at 5:29 AM on June 20th, 2016:

*** Father’s Day Baby Announcement ***

Mrs. Baloophi and I welcomed our first eaglet to the nest this Father’s Day. She’s 21.5″ tall, weighed-in at 7 pounds 14 ounces and we’re still awaiting her official 3-Cone time. She projects to slot corner and has been assigned the number “SWADDLE” for training camp.

See everybody in 18 years after I explain how we can’t afford college because of Iggles Blitz fundraising challenges.

Fly-Diapers-Fly!

23. 23 A_T_G said at 7:46 AM on June 20th, 2016:

Congratulations.

And don’t beat yourself up over the early #justanickle scouting reports. Brandon Boykin has a dream that one day little inside CB girls and little outside CB boys will be able to join together and rejoice in the ill-prepared spread system QBs coming out of college programs.

24. 24 The original AG said at 8:42 AM on June 20th, 2016:

Congrats dude. My wife just delivered 3 weeks ago this past Saturday. Seems like a lot of people on this board are having kids.

25. 25 Bert's Bells said at 9:45 AM on June 20th, 2016:

There should be a study done: ratio of Eagles wins to births among fanbase.

26. 26 P_P_K said at 3:05 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Imagine the population boom should they win a Lombardi.

27. 27 daveH said at 9:50 AM on June 20th, 2016:

Congrats! Happy 1st dads day.
    Ssme w my brotherinlaw
    Did u insur ance plan yet?

28. 28 The original AG said at 9:55 AM on June 20th, 2016:

Yes. Took care of that right away including short-term disability for my wife.

29. 29 daveH said at 7:55 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Like.
    Did u use which mutual ?
    And hope not genworth on the disab…

30. 30 The original AG said at 7:59 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I don’t think so. We have BCBS, but will be changing to United in a couple weeks.

31. 31 P_P_K said at 9:49 AM on June 20th, 2016:

Congratulations. Hope Mom and daughter are healthy and strong. What jersey will Ms. Baloophi be wearing this season?

32. 32 Tumtum said at 1:04 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Well done sir. Happy Father’s Day!

33. 33 Media Mike said at 2:43 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Congrats. We added our first in February. 2016; the year of Eagles children!

34. 34 daveH said at 8:02 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Cool to read,Congrats!
    Get your insurance here! .. did u ever see or even but a ‘daw-gie” from ol Phillies dawew-gie-aHooooo hordog sales… ehat was his name .. Charlie Franks ???
    Sweat all over him

35. 35 laeagle said at 4:32 PM on June 20th, 2016:

big congrats to all of Team Baloophi.

36. 36 SteveH said at 5:44 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Grats man, how does it feel to be a father?

37. 37 BobSmith77 said at 8:39 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Good luck getting sleep! My friend’s comedic abilities have taken a real hit as he basically never gets more than 4 hours of consecutive sleep. Going on 2 years and counting.

38. 38 TommyLawlor said at 7:38 AM on June 21st, 2016:

Congratulations. A great offseason keeps getting better.

39. 39 Eagles News: Bennie Logan is Philadelphia’s only starter projected to be a 2017 free agent | NFL Feeds To The Fans said at 9:19 AM on June 20th, 2016:

[…] Happy Father’s Day – Iggles BlitzBuddy is the first defensive coach (any only one I can think of) whose first goal was for his guys to score. Think about that. Buddy wanted his defense to score. That is so cocky. And unorthodox. And genius. He assumed his defense would stop the offense. He was focused on taking the ball away and then trying to score points. When Buddy became coach of the Eagles in 1986, that led me to become an Eagles fan. If he hadn’t come to Philly, I have no idea what NFL team I would be following. Maybe I would be writing about the Sixers (my first Philly love) or even the Flyers (my second Philly love). Or maybe I would have moved away from sports and focused my writing on the career of Dennis Farina, the greatest actor of the past 500 years. […]

40. 40 P_P_K said at 9:52 AM on June 20th, 2016:

“Buddy Ryan was the football version of Beethoven.”
    Great, great line!

41. 41 Aaron said at 1:02 PM on June 20th, 2016:

1st

42. 42 Lord of the Rings said at 4:06 PM on June 20th, 2016:

worst

43. 43 Aaron said at 4:32 PM on June 20th, 2016:

we got business?

44. 44 Lord of the Rings said at 9:25 PM on June 20th, 2016:

do you deal in bouillon specialties?
    or BS?

45. 45 meteorologist said at 5:21 PM on June 20th, 2016:

You haven’t blocked this person yet?

46. 46 A_T_G said at 6:29 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Yeah, really. That “This user is blocked” text actually makes me smile.

47. 47 Lord of the Rings said at 9:25 PM on June 20th, 2016:

blocking is for cowards

48. 48 daveH said at 10:20 PM on June 20th, 2016:

69th actually .. i counted it out .. mo ‘betta

49. 49 Tumtum said at 1:03 PM on June 20th, 2016:

The Madden football game was designed as a teaching tool for kids everywhere. The guy really just cares about the game and kids. He really is one of a kind.

50. 50 P_P_K said at 2:05 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Off topic — I heard an interview with Steph Curry on ESPN and he really manned up. He talked about not playing well enough and how much it hurt to not bring home the trophy. His maturity and responsibility reminded me of how much I disliked Cam Newton’s performance after the SB.

51. 51 Media Mike said at 2:44 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Adult vs child really.

52. 52 P_P_K said at 3:04 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Truth.

53. 53 iceberg584 said at 3:59 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I’m generally pro-Cam Newton, but the week preceding the Super Bowl, it looked to me like he believed they had already won and that the game was a mere formality/showcase. In the game’s immediate aftermath, I think he was coming to grips with the falseness of his assumption.

54. 54 Media Mike said at 5:14 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I think Mr. Phillips summed it up nicely

55. 55 Bert's Bells said at 6:22 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Great Twitter handle too.

56. 56 Media Mike said at 6:23 PM on June 20th, 2016:

He’s funny as hell in most interviews as well. Never takes himself too seriously and has great insights on the game.

57. 57 Gian GEAGLE said at 2:52 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I respect him a lot for claiming that he is not injured, nothing was wrong and that there are no excuses… I respect it because I don’t believe it and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t have some minor knee or shoulder surgery (clean up) this offseason

58. 58 SteveH said at 5:43 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Yeah, he definitely wasn’t moving with the quickness he normally does since he reinjured in the Rockets game.

59. 59 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:24 PM on June 21st, 2016:

Yeah no way I believe he was even close to 100%
    He also deserves respect for how classy Steph, Draymond and the Warriors were in defeat, staying on the floor waiting for Cavs players to stop celebrating on the Warriors home court so that they could shake hands with Cavs Playets and congratulate them…. Probably wasnt easy to do, so I gotta respect that… I didn’t expect the Warriors to be classless like the isiah Thomas Pistons were in defeat, but they could have easily just walked back into their Lockeroom instead of standing their watching the Cavs celebrate TIL they got a chance to congratulate them.
    Gotta respect that type of class in defeat, and the no excuse approach Curry is taking… I don’t think Curry was healthy, but I was really turned by all the commentators immediately bringing up injuries every time Curry DIDNT play a geat game,.. That was a bit much for my taste to the point where other commentators on air were calling out their collegues for making injury excuses at the first sign of adversity

60. 60 Lord of the Rings said at 9:29 PM on June 20th, 2016:

we had LeBron trying to do the “step over”, and a whole finals with tyron lue.., we had kyrie and james do something that hasn’t happened since the 2001 finals, two players scoring over 40 in a game (opposite teams in 2001 of course)…
    I love when Iverson is present in the finals somehow or another.
    gets his mentions and eve time they show Lue we are reminded of one of the illest plays in finals history.

61. 61 SteveH said at 5:48 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I hope Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes manned up and talked about how bad they played at times during that series. It really felt like a team effort in the loss. Harrison Barnes was 5 for 32 over the last 3 games, and it’s not like he was taking tough shots. Draymond Green was the only one who showed up for game 7, without him the Warriors would have been blown out.

62. 62 P_P_K said at 9:22 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Green was on fire with those 3s in the first half.

63. 63 The original AG said at 2:34 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Vegas likes where the Sixers are headed.

64. 64 Gian GEAGLE said at 2:55 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Lol I wonder if a Single person will put money on the Sixers winning the title next year? Whenever I’m in Vegas I usually put money on local teams to win the title even when we don’t have an elite team. I’ll be in Vegas for the NBA Summer league, but I don’t think I can justify putting any money on the SIXERS even as a flier. I have as,good odds of Burning a hundred dollar bill and $1000 magically emerging from the ashes as the odds of SIXERS winning the title next year

65. 65 P_P_K said at 3:03 PM on June 20th, 2016:

The Sixers are at 125:1. Your Benjamin would return $12,500. I agree, you might as well burn it.

66. 66 BobSmith77 said at 8:32 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Those are well-known sucker bets and your right.

67. 67 BobSmith77 said at 8:31 PM on June 20th, 2016:

What?

68. 68 The original AG said at 8:32 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I thought the same thing when I saw it.

69. 69 BobSmith77 said at 8:36 PM on June 20th, 2016:

It was a really unlikable and unwatchable Sixers’ team last year. Even worse in person early and late in the year.

They’ll be lucky to win more than 20 games this year even with Simmons. Still have no PG and I’ll believe it when I see it with Saric coming over this year & Embiid playing meaningful minutes.

70. 70 Stephen E. said at 4:02 PM on June 20th, 2016:

How can Flip 90 be the greatest play when there is SPIDER 2 Y BANANA!

– Jon Gruden

71. 71 Media Mike said at 5:16 PM on June 20th, 2016:

They roasted the Giants on Flip 90, so I’ll stick with that.

72. 72 Bert's Bells said at 5:52 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Flip 90 is just an over-hyped Flip 80.

73. 73 Greg said at 6:11 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Always liked Madden as an announcer… I don’t think my Dad liked him since he was the coach of the raiders, but I wasnt around for the 1980 SB or when he was a coach. A lot of my friends couldn’t stand him because he talks about fundamentals and it would come off as obvious… But he was always right. I don’t think the video game helped since he repeats the same things over and over again. So he got pegged as old and stupid. Give me Madden over collensworth or buck any day.

74. 74 Media Mike said at 6:21 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Buck isn’t worth the hot steaming turd Madden flushed down the toilet this morning.

75. 75 Sean Stott said at 7:21 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Cris Collinsworth’s voice makes my blood run cold. Really can’t stand him at all.

76. 76 Gary Barnes said at 8:00 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I would have struggled with that too if Madden had still been the HC of the Raiders in ’80, thankfully Flores had taken over and I could hate him and Jim Plunkett with vigor instead of Madden

77. 77 Greg said at 9:35 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Thanks for the correction.

78. 78 The original AG said at 8:01 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Why do so many people hate Cris Collingsworth? Of the people out there now, he’s one of my favorites.

79. 79 daveH said at 8:06 PM on June 20th, 2016:

He hates the eagles

80. 80 The original AG said at 8:10 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I never got that sense from him. Always felt he just called it like he saw it. Buck/Aikman on the other hand I would think have some Eagles hate (understandable from Aikman).

81. 81 Media Mike said at 8:12 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I’ll disagree on Aikman. I think Troy calls the game fairly. Buck is a mangler who talks over the color guy in every sport he does play by play. Buck is the absolute worst.

82. 82 The original AG said at 8:14 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I don’t get the network love for him either. Remember when HBO tried to give him a show? That did not go well.

83. 83 Media Mike said at 8:16 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Artie Lange is a golden rock god………….except for the fact that he likes the Giants.

But him destroying Buck was classic.

84. 84 daveH said at 8:51 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Cool preesh the insight.. was never so much a Buck fan until his epic line in Supet Bowl, “Eagle fans must be yelling at their tv’s” .. regarding fat andy’s clock mismanagement. He sure nailed exactly what I was doing! !!

85. 85 D3FB said at 8:31 AM on June 21st, 2016:

Moose is fucking unberable.

86. 86 BobSmith77 said at 8:30 PM on June 20th, 2016:

No he doesn’t.

87. 87 daveH said at 8:49 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Ok kool. I was thinking and wondering if.. but then kept thinking other things i was thinking, not a first but then again later

88. 88 BobSmith77 said at 8:57 PM on June 20th, 2016:

He just tends to be overly critical at times when a team isn’t performing well.

89. 89 Media Mike said at 8:10 PM on June 20th, 2016:

He tends to make a lot of unnecessary d-bag-ish comments in “analyzing” the game.

90. 90 The original AG said at 8:13 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Unless it’s one of my Philly teams playing, I rarely pay that close attention to the announcers. Between 7-11, I’m usually on the computer, so watching a game AND surfing the Internets.

91. 91 Tdoteaglefan said at 8:42 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Yup, i feel the exact same way. Currently one of my favorites, much much prefer listening to him over twats like joe buck and phil simms

92. 92 Greg said at 9:41 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Yeah for a long time he has hated the Eagles in addition to saying some really idiotic things. I have noticed recently that he has been better about both things, but I still hold his previous blatant dislike of the Eagles against him.

93. 93 daveH said at 10:48 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Ha cool.. i wasnt necessarily wrongvthen. Tank you

94. 94 daveH said at 8:06 PM on June 20th, 2016:

He was great until the 4000th time he praised farve… 10000000 times later just too painful

95. 95 BobSmith77 said at 8:21 PM on June 20th, 2016:

I wonder if Buddy wanted to fight Jeff Fisher while this photo was taken . . .

96. 96 Media Mike said at 8:22 PM on June 20th, 2016:

More likely they both wanted to fight that loser Kotite.

97. 97 The original AG said at 8:27 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Well we know he wanted to fight Gilbride.

98. 98 Media Mike said at 8:32 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Giants fans called him Kevin Kill-drive.

99. 99 BobSmith77 said at 8:44 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Reese and Walters were my go-to announcing football announcers as a kid and going to Eagles’ games in the upper level (500 level) with my dad and uncle at the Vet.

Even after all of these years, Quick still doesn’t do much for me especially the spot on observations that Walters used to make regarding line play & keeping Merrill’s homerism in check a bit.

100. 100 Media Mike said at 8:46 PM on June 20th, 2016:

Quick, although he was a legend as a player, is bit slow on the uptake.

101. 101 iceberg584 said at 10:26 PM on June 20th, 2016:

“keeping Merrill’s homerism in check a bit.”

I love Merrill Reese, but this just sounds impossible. It’s like asking someone to keep Hitler’s racism in check.

102. 102 The original AG said at 11:12 PM on June 20th, 2016:

LOL – on the heels of LeBron bringing a title back to Cleveland, I want to remind the board that there are stupid people in the world. Happened to see this on Reddit and it made me laugh.