Hope for BG

Posted: June 24th, 2016 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 90 Comments »

I think some people too often see a player’s success or failure as strictly on him. Circumstances do matter.

Joe Montana went to the perfect situation when Bill Walsh drafted him. Montana had good talent, but that turned out to be the ideal system for his skills and athleticism. And Walsh was a good teacher who could be tough when needed. He wasn’t a butt-kisser or a tyrant. He was able to push the players firmly, but fairly and that helped them to thrive under him.

If Montana went elsewhere he almost certainly wouldn’t be thought of as a Top 5 all-time QB. He might have been Jake Plummer, a flawed star who had some special moments. Or he might have just been A.J. Feeley, the backup and spot starter who looked good enough at moments to make you think (wrongly) he could be your full-time starter. Montana could have been a total failure had he gone to the wrong team and been put in really bad circumstances.

Mike Vrabel was a 3rd round pick by the Steelers. He played in 51 games, but never started for them. He was a backup and STs player. Vrabel just didn’t fit what they did and had 7 sacks over his 4 seasons there. Then he went to New England and became one of the key players on a dynasty. Vrabel won 3 Super Bowls. He was incredibly versatile and was a clutch player. His stats are pretty good and still don’t come close to telling the impact he had. What does his career look like if Bill Belichick didn’t sign him?

I bring all of this up because Brandon Lee Gowton wrote a piece for BGN that got me to thinking about Brandon Graham and his career to this point. BLG focused on Graham and his relationship with DL coaches.

“The low point [of my career] was when [Washburn] was here,” Graham said last summer. “That was my low point. Because Wash would make you feel bad, like you can’t play at all. I think once they broke him up and they finally gave me the opportunity, I was kind of in a better mood of just trying to go out there and do what I can.”

Graham moved to 3-4 outside linebacker the season after Washburn got fired but now he’s back to being a defensive end in defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz’s 4-3 scheme. The good news for Graham is that he appears to have a much better relationship with his new defensive line coach than he did with Washburn.

“I love him, man,” said Graham when asked about his initial impression of Eagles defensive line coach Chris Wilson. “I think he’s a guy that’s going to get us better. He’s all about the basics and all about the little, tiny things. For us, that’s all we can ask for, is a coach that’s going to coach us on the little things as far as footwork, hand placement, things like that. All the little basic stuff you tend to forget when you get to this level because people expect you to know and do it on your own. With him, he’s definitely a technician.”

Jim Washburn was a great DL coach, but also an incredible jackass and mean SOB. Some players he loved (Jason Babin, Albert Haynesworth), others not so much. I never got the feeling he was a huge fan of Vinny Curry. It doesn’t sound like he cared much for Graham. There is nothing wrong with being hard on players, but you do need it to help them. If being too hard is counter-productive with that player, change things up. Washburn didn’t know how to do that.

Washburn is long since gone and Graham has liked the coaches he’s dealt with since then. His level of play has gotten better, which is crucial. If you complain about a coach hurting your performance, you sure better improve when he’s gone. Graham backed up his words with actions.

I’m excited to see what BG can do this year. He’ll be turned loose. He’ll be playing 4-3 DE (no more LB!!!) and can go get the QB on a regular basis. I’m not expecting him to turn into Reggie White, but this should be the best year of his career.

It really is amazing that Graham made himself into a solid LB. The way he looked back in 2013, you thought the Statue of Liberty would have made a better OLB than him. Kudos to BG for making the best of an awkward situation. Now he’s back to being a DE and doing what the Eagles originally drafted him for.

90 Comments on “Hope for BG”

1. 1 Hope for BG - said at 8:49 AM on June 24th, 2016:

[…] Tommy Lawlor I think some people too often see a player’s success or failure as strictly on him. […]

2. 2 unhinged said at 9:06 AM on June 24th, 2016:

I would argue that Montana’s greatness was mostly from the neck up. He could see what opponents were doing by the time he stopped back-peddling, and he rarely made bad decisions with the ball. Walsh did polish his skills, but one reason he drafted Montana was his lack of fear. He’d made plenty of mistakes at ND and at SF, but Walsh knew that Joe would keep plugging and not let his mistakes define him. I have a hard time picturing Montana as a failure anywhere. Was Steve Young a failure in Tampa? The franchise was in the toilet, and the team sucked, but nobody blamed Young.

3. 3 ProbablyDrunk said at 9:52 AM on June 26th, 2016:

….Steve Young was absolutely, 100% a failure in Tampa and is a prime example of what Lawlor is talking about. To say Walsh ‘polished’ Montana is an enormous understatement. That’s like saying Chip Kelly morally supported Foles in ’13

4. 4 Tumtum said at 10:27 AM on June 24th, 2016:

If BG does have his best year 50 sacks is going to be a breeze for this defense.

5. 5 Media Mike said at 12:09 PM on June 24th, 2016:

They will absolutely wear out the QB this year. I’m not sure if they’ll get to 50, but I’m sure they’ll be in the top 5 in the league in terms of sack totals.

As a bonus; I BADLY want an Eli injury caused by our D line. Eli has ZERO right to have passed Jaws on the consecutive games played at QB list; we must have vengeance.

6. 6 Tumtum said at 1:23 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Remember the hit Hue Douglass put on him the first time we faced him? Did he miss time for that? Was that the only time he has missed in his whole career?

7. 7 iceberg584 said at 6:00 PM on June 24th, 2016:

It was Jerome McDougall actually. That came in Week 1 of the 2004 season. Kurt Warner was NY’s starter, and Manning came into the game during garbage time and was promptly baptized. Eli didn’t become the full-time starter until halfway through that season.

8. 8 wee2424 said at 9:36 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Good game for us. TO caught 3 TDs in which was an exciting sample of what were to come between McNabb and him that season.

The McDougal hit wasn’t even the biggest hit of that game. It was Trotter’s first game back as a Bird and he demolished NY’s punter. Would later take over for Simenou (check spelling) about half way into the season and go on to have a great year.

Ahhhhhh.. fond memories. Seems like a lifetime ago, but I remember it perfectly. Lol, was in 9th grade.

9. 9 Gian GEAGLE said at 11:01 AM on June 25th, 2016:

I LOVED The Hit Hough Douglas put on Kurt Warner, jumping on his back in the first half of the NFC Championship game against the greatest show on Turf. Should have won that damn game

10. 10 Jernst said at 6:17 PM on June 24th, 2016:

That was McDougal and YES! I thought Eli was dead on the field.

11. 11 SteveH said at 8:17 PM on June 24th, 2016:

I couldn’t believe his body wasn’t shattered, it looked like the Bednarik on Gifford hit. Bone crunching doesn’t do it justice.

12. 12 wee2424 said at 9:32 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Wasn’t Douglas. Was McDougal. His best moment as an Eagle by far.

If I am correct that was the first NFL game Eli played. TO caught 3 TDs, McDougal welcomed him to the NFL in a big way, and Trotter destroyed their punter.

Nowadays both of those hits would have been flagged without a moments hesitation. Despite the fact they were legal hits.

13. 13 Jamie Parker said at 2:04 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Of course it was his 1st game, it was the 1st game of the season of his rookie year.

14. 14 wee2424 said at 12:24 PM on June 25th, 2016:

Isn’t that what I was hinting at?

15. 15 Gian GEAGLE said at 11:00 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Lol I think that’s the ONLY play he ever made that sticks out in my head

16. 16 wee2424 said at 11:15 AM on June 25th, 2016:

When I think of McDougal three words come to my head. Eli, shot, and bust.

17. 17 Gian GEAGLE said at 11:22 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Lol sad but so true

18. 18 wee2424 said at 12:46 PM on June 25th, 2016:

At least one of those words indicates something good, unlike some other players. For instance Manziel right now, or Marcus Smith. Nelson Agholor unfortunately is another one.

Agholor- Drops, underwhelming, rape. In all fairness he more then likely did not commit the rape, it seems a set up, but that word does quickly come to my head when thinking of him just because it is such a recent event.

Did you see the story on PFT about Manziels attorney accidentally texting damning info and comments regarding Manziels case(s) to the AP? Pretty hilarious. Reminds me of when I sent a damning text to my GF when it was supposed to go to my best friend a few years back. While my situation was embarrassing and damaging to my relationship Manziel’s is far more humiliating and damaging.

19. 19 Jamie Parker said at 2:07 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Eli sold his soul while at Ole Miss I think. He’s never getting hurt. Everyone I ever have on my fantasy team always gets hurt. Except Eli. I had Romo and Dez on my team last year. Eli was my backup QB. He never gets hurt. And ever since Duce Staley got hurt in 2000, I never have any Eagles on my teams. I am truly the kiss of death for players on my fantasy teams. Literally. I had Darryl Kile on my Fantasy baseball team and he turned up dead in his hotel room.

20. 20 Media Mike said at 10:16 AM on June 25th, 2016:

So you’re saying you’re going to draft Eli for fantasy so he’ll wind up dead!

I like it.

21. 21 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:59 AM on June 25th, 2016:

It depends, if our Offensive is good enough to allow our defense to play with some leads in the second half of games, then we should put up some monster sack numbers…. You DO NOT WANT Schwartz and this DL pinning its ears back and teeing off on QBs having to play from behind…. If the offense can do its part, this DL should have a big time yeàr

22. 22 Ark87 said at 11:45 AM on June 24th, 2016:

I hope BG and Curry can both up their game a tad in the new system. I like both players as they are to be a guy across from a premier pass rusher, but if they both up their game a tad it should be a good enough duo at DE. Having Fletch will be a huge boon for them.

23. 23 Media Mike said at 12:08 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Big years out of Curry and Graham. Decent year from Barwin. Barwin traded this offseason.

24. 24 Ark87 said at 1:40 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Yeah Barwin seems like he’ll be wasted in this system if they aren’t willing to move him all over the place and utilize his versatility, he just doesn’t rush the passer well enough imo. He’s had solid numbers, but most of his sacks weren’t the burst off the line and beat a tackle variety, seemed like he cleaned up a bunch of coverage sacks, delayed blitzes, green dogs, etc

I hope he excels because I like him as a player, but it’s hard to see.

25. 25 truehaynes said at 2:28 PM on June 24th, 2016:

I really wish they would try him out at sam

26. 26 wee2424 said at 9:27 PM on June 24th, 2016:

I said the same thing when we first switched to the 3-4. I think part of the reason he is at DE is due to the fact that Schwartz needs waves of DEs for his scheme. You take Barwin out of that and move him to SAM then you don’t have the amount of DEs you need.

Or maybe Schwartz simply sees something in him that has lead him to believe he will be a good DE for us. He will be good for us at a minimum on known run downs when he would go in for us over Curry.

Possible that if Bradham was not a FA that Barwin would be at SAM. Schwartz likes his ex players and rightfully so. The ones he has brought in know his scheme and have had career years under him.

Very well could be a combination of all 3 points.

27. 27 Ben said at 9:50 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Just two seasons ago Barwin got 14.5 sacks so I can clearly see what Schwartz sees in him.
    I think he will be better in a 4-3 defense, but all I been hearing from everyone is how he can’t play in a 4-3 so we will see.

28. 28 wee2424 said at 10:00 PM on June 24th, 2016:

The large majority of those sacks were pure hustle plays and designed loops and stunts. It was not mostly him beating the LT off the snap or pushing him all the way back to the QB. It isn’t just about the sack numbers, it is about how the player got the sacks.

As a 3-4 OLB it is a lot easier to scheme a player into a sack rather then a DE playing the wide 9.

I am not saying he cannot play as a 4-3 DE in this scheme. Keep in mind he was drafted as a 4-3 DE. The large majority of comments by people aren’t saying that either. I am just saying I think he is better suited as a 3-4 OLB.

29. 29 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:51 AM on June 25th, 2016:

The stunts, loops and twists ARENT going to Dissapear now that we are in a wide 9…. And let’s not pretend we haven’t seen BARWIN straight up Run Over Offensive Tackles for sacks the past few years, Plenty of film of him Ragdolling offensive tackles on his way to Sacks. plenty of film of him using his speed and agility to beat a tackle around the outside for a snap. And plenty of film of him being fantastic at chaining pass rush moves. When one doesn’t work, he Quickily transitions to a counter..
    This BARWIN talk is one of the biggest false narratives I can remember. Dount you can find a single player, coach, front office member on the Eagles who feels that way

30. 30 wee2424 said at 12:23 PM on June 25th, 2016:

I am not saying that there weren’t moments in which he didn’t purely beat an OT off the snap. I am saying the MAJORITY of his 2014 sacks came from scheming him into the sack, or pure hard work and hustle.

Loops and stunts are not going to disappear with the wide 9, but they are much more prevalent when you are playing as a 3-4 OLB. I think they are also a little less prevalent when you are playing in the wide 9 as opposed to a regular 4-3 front. Not by much, but a little less.

I want to reiterate that I am not saying Barwin cannot play as a 4-3 DE. He can. I just think his talents are better suited as a 3-4 OLB, and that he is a better pass rusher as 3-4 OLB.

Some people think he will come close to emulating 2014 numbers. I don’t think he will come anywhere close to that. I expect J. Parker sack numbers from him. He will be a solid DE for us. I just think solid is the limit with him at that position. He won’t blow assignments, he will be good against the run, and he will rack up 6-7 sacks.

Again, I am just stating realistic expectations for him, and stating my belief that he is a better 3-4 OLB then a 4-3 DE. I am not stating that he cannot play 4-3 DE.

31. 31 Rellihcs said at 6:13 PM on June 25th, 2016:

Hard work and hustle don’t translate from the 3-4 to the 4-3?

32. 32 Rellihcs said at 6:12 PM on June 25th, 2016:

To me that’s saying he produced because of good performance, which means he won’t be able to perform in the future. Which is just plain silly.

33. 33 Ben said at 12:17 PM on June 26th, 2016:

Okay I can understand your opinion and I have my own.
    I think Barwin has the ability and physicality to win battles against OL.
    Not just hustle plays either.
    We will get a chance to see him in a 4-3, so the answers will be coming this season.
    I have faith that Barwin, being the type of player he is will find ways to contribute with his share of sacks, hurries, and TFL’s and I predict he finishes no less than 3rd on the team in each of these categories.

34. 34 Media Mike said at 10:16 AM on June 25th, 2016:

I don’t think he can’t play there, but he’s $ and trade value wise the guy you trade going into 2017. He was drafted as a DE, so that should equate to decent production.

35. 35 Forthebirds said at 10:28 AM on June 25th, 2016:

He has the football smarts to adjust. It might take him some time, but I think by mid season we will see him playing well. I hope so because he is a great guy.

36. 36 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:47 AM on June 25th, 2016:

BARWIN would NEVER be a SAM in a 4-3… NEVER!

37. 37 wee2424 said at 11:13 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Explain why not. Depending on scheme and a DC’s preference at SAM he could absolutely play the part.

38. 38 Gian GEAGLE said at 2:23 PM on June 27th, 2016:

Because he is a DE and no one in their right mind takes a quality pass rusher and sticks him in coverage the majority of the time
    BARWIN is a DE… You wouldn’t put Hicks at DE because he is a LB.
    The 4-3 Sam talk is so ridiculuos, I wish people would stop with this nonsense

39. 39 Media Mike said at 10:15 AM on June 25th, 2016:

I don’t know how well he could replicate the Carlos Emmons experience in running with TEs all game, so I like him better at DE.

40. 40 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:47 AM on June 25th, 2016:

No.. Just NO..

41. 41 P_P_K said at 4:24 PM on June 24th, 2016:

He’s such a cool guy too, great to have him on the team and in the City.

42. 42 Media Mike said at 10:15 AM on June 25th, 2016:

He’s amazing, but I think starting in 2017 he makes the most sense to trade.

43. 43 Rellihcs said at 5:34 AM on June 25th, 2016:

I feel like that’s an extremely popular narrative. You know, like the world is flat. But not based in fact.

44. 44 Media Mike said at 10:14 AM on June 25th, 2016:

I don’t think he’ll be wasted, but he’s the oldest of the 3 guys, has the best value to a 3-4 team in a trade, and we’d be paying way too much $ to DEs in 2017 and beyond because of Curry’s bigger cap hits kicking in.

I don’t think Barwin will be bad at all, but I think he’s the odd man out.

45. 45 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:46 AM on June 25th, 2016:

I couldn’t disgree more

46. 46 meteorologist said at 9:17 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Feel like Graham could disappoint

47. 47 Media Mike said at 10:13 AM on June 25th, 2016:

I can see why a lot of folks must feel that way, but Schwartz’s system really gets good production from guys. I think Graham will be in the 10-14 sack range for as long as Schwartz is here.

48. 48 wee2424 said at 9:21 PM on June 24th, 2016:

I don’t know how I feel with Barwin at DE. Maybe a more traditional DE, but I just don’t think he has the ideal explosion for this scheme. Not saying I think he will be bad, but by the regular season I would expect to see BG and Curry as your starting DEs with Barwin coming in for Curry on known run downs.

I just think he is a better 3-4 OLB then DE. It maximizes his talents more.

49. 49 Ben said at 9:53 PM on June 24th, 2016:

We will see. I think Barwin would disagree with you.
    I bet he is drooling over the fact that he is now a 4-3 DE so he can show everyone that he is more than capable.
    He may not have the explosion you referred to but he does have the tenacity and “want” to get to the QB.
    He’s also a master at batting down passes and to me there is huge value in that as well.

50. 50 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:46 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Think BARWIN is going to make all the concern about how he translates to a 4-3 seem really silly in hindsight

51. 51 Media Mike said at 12:07 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Brandon Graham has always worked hard and had a great attitude. He was misused as a rookie by idiot McDermott and sustained a horrific hit on his knee by Tyson Clabo on a cheap shot chop block that should have resulted in a fine and/or Clabo being hauled off of the Falcons team flight and shot in his head on the runway at Philly International. The Washburn stuff was well covered here, and F the 3-4 / Billy / Chip.

I’m glad we have him under contract for a reasonable price with Schwartz running this D.

52. 52 SteveH said at 8:15 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Have to wonder what could have been if Graham hadn’t had microfracture surgery.

53. 53 Media Mike said at 9:02 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Exactly. I can’t wait for Tyson Clabo to die. I’ll troll the F out of his on-line obituary.

54. 54 Sean Stott said at 1:49 PM on June 24th, 2016:

I love BG. He was a very good LB in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

I also have his jersey. IMO his only real weakness is that he doesn’t have a mean streak. Super nice guy, always positive and working hard, takes nothing for granted. Just wish he was nastier sometimes.

55. 55 Ark87 said at 2:29 PM on June 24th, 2016:

He’s mean, but not the way you want it. You want it to show up in his play, instead he shows it by getting in the face of someone on the ground and Landing us a taunting flag.

56. 56 Sean Stott said at 2:47 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Honestly that happened once and it’s not something that he is known for at all. Fletcher Cox is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy dirtier in that regard, for example.

57. 57 Ark87 said at 2:54 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Not saying he’s dirty or anything , just likes to jaw. He just jaws with a smile.

58. 58 Ben said at 9:55 PM on June 24th, 2016:

And that ‘s what why we love him.
    I loved it when he put a little extra on that Shady tackle last season.

59. 59 wee2424 said at 5:51 PM on June 24th, 2016:

2013 he was not a good LB. 2014 and 2015 he was good

60. 60 truehaynes said at 2:27 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Could someone explain to me how Brandon Graham beat Tyron Smith so badly twice in the same game? It just doesn’t make physical sense to me

61. 61 Media Mike said at 3:08 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Somebody in that matchup is vastly overrated; and it isn’t Brandon Graham.

62. 62 Tumtum said at 7:55 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Extra thumbs up!

63. 63 D3FB said at 9:57 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Technique. Graham busted out a ragdoll-rip move. It’s the perfect counter to his bull rush.

64. 64 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:42 AM on June 25th, 2016:

The Cowboys OL is Elite Run blocking unit that isn’t even close to as good in pass protection

65. 65 Cafone said at 3:04 PM on June 24th, 2016:

I like Graham, but he’s no Curry.

Curry is gonna lead the league in sacks this year.

66. 66 Sean Stott said at 3:04 PM on June 24th, 2016:

He doesn’t have Curry’s first step, not even close, but is much more stout against the run.

67. 67 Cafone said at 3:05 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Curry’s first step is so amazing it looks like he is offsides on every play.

68. 68 Bert's Bells said at 6:35 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Curry’s first step is so fast it actually goes forward in time and records a sack on the next play.

69. 69 Gian GEAGLE said at 10:41 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Curry was no slouch against the run back when he was a 4-3 DE going against Tackles… But his run defense didn’t translate as well to interior DL in a two gap scheme

70. 70 Tumtum said at 7:55 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Damn that’s bold. I like it.

71. 71 Jernst said at 6:14 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Graham’s game reminds me a lot of Trent Cole’s. He wins mostly with strength, technique and a relentless motor than anything special athletically. He’ll never be great, but if he can be almost as solid as Cole was during his prime, which I think is well within his ability, he’ll more than earn the contract he signed a few years ago.

72. 72 Tumtum said at 7:54 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Kind of a bummer he had micro fracture surgery really. Never know if he could have actually been more. Solid enough though.

73. 73 wee2424 said at 9:17 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Since the surgery he has turned more purely into a power type player. He used to have a bit more explosion and ability. I think the surgery definitely affected him in a negative way. How much? We will never know.

74. 74 meteorologist said at 9:19 PM on June 24th, 2016:

That’s a positive way of saying it. My thought was: “Feel like Graham could disappoint . Just doesn’t have much burst anymore “

75. 75 Ben said at 9:57 PM on June 24th, 2016:

You sure you aren’t talking about Barwin?
    That’s a good description of him as well.

76. 76 Jernst said at 10:29 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Barwin has a variety of moves. He uses a decent spin move a lot. Unlike Graham who is pretty much a Bullrush to a dip and rip guy. Barwin also wins a lot by using his athleticism and length rather than pure strength. That’s not to say that Barwin is some kind of athletic freak, but people forget just how athletic he really is, especially for a man his size: http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/910/

77. 77 Jernst said at 10:31 AM on June 25th, 2016:

You’ll see Barwin get to the QB a lot using lateral agility, looping around other players, using inside moves, but rarely just overpowering the tackle and driving him back. Grahams the complete opposite. Very rarely see him using spin moves and looping inside or using lateral agility. He wins with leverage, the bull rush, and the dip and rip around the edge…much like Cole

78. 78 Gian GEAGLE said at 11:16 AM on June 25th, 2016:

I dunno man… He has had some impressive moments flat out running over Offensive tackles on his way to the sack, Think he is a very well rounded pass rusher, you can see video of him running over tackles with straight up Power, beating Tackles to the outside with his athleticism, and using the spin move to beat his man inside, but his best trait is how well he chains his pass rush moves together. You block his first move, and he often will beat you with a counter..
    You don’t want Connar BARWIN to have to be your best pass rusher on the DL like VON Miller, but he is a very under rated complimentary pass rusher in this city who should continue to flourish complimenting the baby monster known as Mr, Fietcher Cox

79. 79 Jernst said at 10:50 AM on June 26th, 2016:

I think you misunderstood me. Wasn’t trying to knock Barwin at all. In fact, quite the opposite. I was actually saying that compared to Graham who I see as a pure power type of player, Barwin actually has a lot of athleticism and moves to go with his power and is a much more complete pass rusher.

80. 80 Dude said at 8:07 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Did anyone see Bill Simmons’ new show on HBO, Any Given Wednesday? Ben Affleck was on there crying about Brady’s deflategate suspension. But the best part was that Affleck was friggin hammered! He was slurring out F-bombs left and right. I kind of agreed with him, but holy shit dude, pull it together.

Here’s the article from Sporting News: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/bill-simmons-any-given-wednesday-ben-affleck-hbo-charles-barkley-espn-premiere/11sl6oy8dch63188moocnk9w0q

Bonus, if you hate Joe Buck as much as I do, there’s another video in that article of Artie Lang ruining Joe’s attempt at a sports talk show. Classic!

81. 81 Bert's Bells said at 9:06 PM on June 24th, 2016:

Holy smokes. Artie: “F— him, F— the Cowboys.”

82. 82 daveH said at 12:11 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Wtf did they invite artie lang anyway?? They were just begging for the train wreck

83. 83 Froogal Stoodent said at 1:04 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Hahaha anyone who dislikes Joe Buck or interferes with his attempts at being an announcer are A-OK with me 😀

84. 84 Media Mike said at 10:09 AM on June 25th, 2016:

The only thing Joe Buck ever does that nobody should interfere with is a suicide attempt.

85. 85 Gian GEAGLE said at 11:04 AM on June 25th, 2016:

He had to be loaded on Xanax and Liquor.. But I try not to support Bill Simmons and contribute to His ratings

86. 86 bushisamoron said at 8:57 PM on June 24th, 2016:

scheme, coaching and a player’s health are the most underrated components of a successful career.

87. 87 Gian GEAGLE said at 11:07 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Our offense will have a Big impact on the defense this year,, the last thing a team wants is to have to play from behind in the second half of a game, being forced to throw a lot against Schwartz and our DL while we pin our ears back and get after Qbs on each play, with two Waves of pass rushing ends,,,If our Offense plays well enough to give us some 10 or 14pt leads in the second half of games, THATS when our Defense should be at its best, we can put up some Monster sack numbers this year if Bradford and the offense does its part
    Ask Romo to try and play against our DL when the Cowboys are down by 14pts in the second half, and he won’t survive the game. The OL isn’t even close to as good in Oass protection as they are at run blocking which they are ELITE at…There entire season will be based atound trying to run Zeke behind that Elite Run blocking Line to kill the clock in hopes of keeping the game close with the pathetic defense they have… Make the cowboys play from behind in the second half and they are in trouble

88. 88 daveH said at 11:16 AM on June 25th, 2016:

And half as many 35 second 3&outs

89. 89 Gian GEAGLE said at 11:20 AM on June 25th, 2016:

Ain’t that the truth…. Im going to shed a tear of joy the first time I see the Offense NOT line up in Shotgun, and run a power run play with Ryan Mathews exploding behind Brooks, Lane, Celek… Even better, go unbalanced and line Jason Peters up next to Lane and Brooks…. Washington is like the Only defense in the division that should be able to put up a real fight against our improved OL… Dallas defense is a joke. And they could be historically bad if Sean Lee gets hurt

90. 90 Ben said at 12:37 PM on June 26th, 2016:

As much as I loathe Dallas and everything about that team, from the Ownership down I am sickened by the possibility of them actually living up the the hype this season.
    I can only hope that our new D scheme will free up Hicks to deliver another bone crunching shot that once again puts Romo on the IR.
    Nothing life threatening but just enough to flush another “dem boyz” season down the drain.
    I predicted it last season, so to keep with tradition I will do it again.
    I just hope we can hear those magical words again.
    Down goes Romo !!! Down goes Romo !!!
    Even now that phase brings a smile to my face.