Agholor, Turner and the Eagles Receivers

Posted: November 23rd, 2016 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 180 Comments »

Sunday was frustrating, to say the least.

It was heartbreaking to have the Zach Ertz TD called back. That was such a great play and it would have given the Eagles the lead. When replay clearly showed Nelson Agholor almost a yard too far back, it was like a gut punch. Why Aggie, why??? Can’t you even line up right?

A short time later he dropped the pass on the deep crossing route. I was immediately filled with rage and screamed at the TV “F You!!!!!!”. I was shaking with anger.

I’ve tried to be patient with Agholor. He seems like a pretty good guy. He’s a hard worker. Terrific player at USC. He’s got a good background story. This is a guy you want to succeed.

DGB is the guy with the troubled past. Jordan Matthews is the guy who went to Vanderbilt, hardly a football factory. Bryce Treggs wasn’t even the best receiver on his college team. Paul Turner is too small and too slow.

Agholor is the star from USC. He was a 5-star recruit that left the state of Florida to play for the Trojans. He caught 178 passes in college. 20 of them were TDs. He had 4 PR TDs. Agholor was a terrific playmaker. He has a good combination of size and speed. This is a guy you wanted in the draft.

But something isn’t right. I don’t care if it is mental, physical, emotional, spiritual or something else. Agholor is hurting the Eagles. He blocks well. He runs good routes and gets open. But he can’t be counted on to catch the ball. And his alignment brain fart was just unacceptable.

Keep him on the roster. I understand cutting him doesn’t make financial sense. Use him on gamedays if you want. But damn sure don’t have him on the field for the majority of the game. It just doesn’t make sense. Go with 3 TE sets. Or play Bryce Treggs more.

There is also the Paul Turner option.

The Eagles brought Turner up from the practice squad. Doug Pederson hasn’t said if Turner will be active this week, but you would sure think this would be the time to do it. Green Bay has an awful secondary right now and the game is on Monday night. That means extra practice time to get ready for the game.

Please don’t think of Turner as some magical answer. The Eagles like him a lot, but have brought him along slowly. Turner just doesn’t show the athleticism needed to be a starting WR in the NFL. I hope something has changed,  but I think he’ll struggle to get open or make plays after the catch. That said, the Eagles have to try something. They have to.

Turner will play all out. He was terrific in the preseason. Other guys might have been pacing themselves, but Turner played those games like his life depended on it. That’s part of the reason you have to be careful about getting too excited about him. He won’t be going up against starters who are less than thrilled about playing or backups who just aren’t that good (except for Monday night possibly).

I hope Turner proves me wrong and plays lights out. It won’t shock me for him to have a good game or two, but I don’t see him playing at a high level on a consistent basis.

Treggs is the player I’m more interested in. He has NFL speed, which the Eagles need more of. Treggs has been with the team long enough to have a feel for the playbook. The coaches need to give him more reps. He might also struggle, but at least it will be different. We’ve seen what Agholor can do. Maybe playing less will somehow get Agholor into the right frame of mind and bring out the best in him. I don’t think he is a completely lost cause.

I do think Agholor is a mess right now and he needs to play less. I’d be fine with giving him a week off. Try something. Keeping him on the field for 70 to 80 percent of the snaps each week is hurting him and the team. Something has to change.

It was encouraging to see DGB have a good game after a couple of quiet weeks. He is a talented young player. You can see that he’s got some issues and that’s why the Titans were willing to give up on him so quickly. But you can also see NFL size, strength and talent. He needs to do a better job of competing on every play. This isn’t college where you are physically better than the guy across from you most of the time. You have to fight for everything in the NFL. I think he’s learning that.

I’m getting questions about who the Eagles should sign or draft in the offseason. That raises an interesting question. What kind of receiver does this offense need? Do you throw big money at Alshon Jeffrey for his size and strength? I know some fans would love to have DeSean back. He certainly has big time speed. There are lots of interesting guys who will be in the draft.

I don’t know what kind of receiver I’d prefer the team to go for at this point. Ideally there will be someone with a good combination of size, speed, strength and skill.

180 Comments on “Agholor, Turner and the Eagles Receivers”

1. 1 Agholor, Turner and the Eagles Receivers - said at 12:36 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

[…] Tommy Lawlor Sunday was frustrating, to say the least. It was heartbreaking to have the Zach Ertz TD called […]

2. 2 Geoff said at 12:43 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Who’d the pass go to on that second play when Ags was wide open?

3. 3 D3FB said at 9:14 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Believe Wentz missed him and got sacked on the play.

4. 4 bubqr said at 12:08 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Yup!

5. 5 BlindChow said at 12:49 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

I honestly expect Agholor to be active and continue to get 80+% of the snaps.

Turner will be inactive. Burton will get 7 snaps, Treggs will get 5.

6. 6 Dave said at 7:34 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

I expect that too. Doug seems to put way too much stock in how a player practices.

7. 7 Greg Tulino said at 12:51 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

A few Random thoughts:
    1. The Giants suck. They are one dimensional and will be exposed for the frauds that they are soon enough.

2. This Thanksgiving from an Eagles Perspective I am thankful for having a franchise QB in Carson Wentz who can lead us to championships in the future assuming we can build around him properly.

3. Is it me or is the Eagles off-season sometimes more fun than the regular season? Losing so many close games that we just beat ourselves and find ways to lose is just so stressful as a fan.

4. I actually trust that HR & company recognize we need more weapons for Carson Wentz and that they will ultimately die trying to get him what he needs. I for one believe we will get him his weapons sooner rather than later.

5. I would like to wish Tommy and each of you Eagles fans on this thread a very happy Thanksgiving. I hope you enjoy it with your families.

8. 8 BlindChow said at 1:15 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Whoa, you think Howie will die trying to get Carson Wentz a decent receiver?? That’s hard core!

9. 9 Greg Tulino said at 1:16 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

He will die trying. Meaning he will do everything he can to get Carson the help he deserves. Lurie will give him full support and we know Eagles will pay for the players they want.

10. 10 BlindChow said at 2:07 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

[on a plane]

PASSENGER: (panicking) THERE’S A MAN ON THE WING OF THE PLANE!

ALSHON JEFFREY: (looking out window) hey that’s Howie Roseman

HOWIE: (hanging onto the wing for dear life) if you sign this contract you can “Fly like an Eagle” haha

ALSHON: haha cool you got a pen?

HOWIE: (reaching into sportcoat) sure i’ve got one right h– *gets sucked into engine*

11. 11 D3FB said at 9:13 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Get Receivers or Die Trying

12. 12 BlindChow said at 9:32 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

[movie trailer guy voice]

In the NFL…
    there’s no game more deadly…
    than FINDING SOMEONE TO CATCH THE BALL

[explosions & stuff]

13. 13 BobSmith77 said at 12:20 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

He strikes me as more of the Paul Reiser-corp type in Aliens who is a schemer, backstabber, and about self-survival first and foremost.

14. 14 Buge Halls said at 9:12 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

To me, those close games tell me that the Eagles are on the edge and improving. Bad teams don’t have close games, they flat out lose (see the Browns!). Mediocre teams get close and shoot themselves in the foot and wind up losing (the Eagles). Good teams find ways to win consistently – the Eagles are getting there, but not this year.

We all have to remember our mantra for this year: “Rookie QB, rookie HC, re-building year” (and repeat!).

15. 15 ChoTime said at 10:31 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

I don’t know, we had a lot of the same excuses last year. “Change one play and we’da won!” Then the wheels came _off_.

16. 16 Julescat said at 11:22 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

is it that the Giants suck or is the league full of fraud teams?

17. 17 Greg Tulino said at 2:04 AM on November 24th, 2016:

I believe is full of Parody which is exactly what the NFL wants. As far as the Giants are concerned I think they will make the playoffs as a wild card team and won’t make any noise in the playoffs. I think the Eagles will easily overtake them next year.

18. 18 Howie Littlefinger said at 12:57 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

So tired of Nelson Hackgalore what a joke of a WR. I had really high hopes for him but there is just no way he will ever rebound(in this city)He has no heart or toughness in him. I’m officially calling him a bust

19. 19 Ankerstjernen said at 8:56 AM on November 24th, 2016:

I dont think you are right about that. He has been very bad on the field, but by all accounts, from what we know about him, he is a player who is very bothered by his fiascos and he works very hard to succeed. To say that he has been underperforming is very fair indeed, but to say that he has no heart is grossly unfair. It’s angry fan bullshit. You have no idea what is going on inside this young mans head. On the field, he does seem to try very hard. So please stop going after his ‘heart’ from behind your keyboard and your fake internet alias.

20. 20 Howie Littlefinger said at 4:30 AM on November 25th, 2016:

Ok will be sure to do that because I’m hiding behind an internet alias? ok lol

Ags has shown on the field that he has no business out there. Why that is is up for debate, the fact he has sucked at an almost unbelievable rate is not. I hope he and the coaches figure it out until then or he is cut my hate will continue

21. 21 Ankerstjernen said at 7:11 AM on November 25th, 2016:

Ya, look. I didn’t mean to troll you although I can see that I sort of did with that comment. I just think it’s stupid to go on the internet and ‘hate’ someone who is failing despite his best efforts. It doesn’t hurt you or me a fraction of what it hurts him and we should be rooting for him for his own sake as well as the teams.

22. 22 Howie Littlefinger said at 5:52 PM on November 25th, 2016:

No hard feeling I think we can all agree on being frustrated and disappointed in his performance. I hope he gets it together

23. 23 Ankerstjernen said at 7:22 AM on November 26th, 2016:

Indeed. For what it’s worth, I still think there is hope for him. There is just too much raw athletic talent there, too much of a nose for route running, and we KNOW he can catch the ball – he used to do it quite well. He also works hard. This all seems to be a mental block kind of thing, and it would kill me to see them trade him to the freaking patriots and watch him become a star.

24. 24 增达网 said at 1:37 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

男友第一次来我家,要和我亲热,这时我的猫跑了进来,男友要赶它,我连忙喊停:不要赶,它喜欢看!
      男友给了我一巴掌:你不是说你是第一次吗?

25. 25 The Squid said at 1:56 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Tommy I felt the same exact way after those two Agholor plays, and I very rarely get mad while watching football. Not saying I don’t get frustrated, disappointed, annoyed, bewildered etc., but very rarely to the point where I’m yelling at the TV and slamming my fist on the couch. I do ultimately hope he gets better though for his sake too, that picture of Jordan Matthews talking to Agholor on the sideline while he stares blankly ahead had me feeling for him. The route running is encouraging. Did he drop balls in college?? Didn’t it used to be that young receivers weren’t expected to play well in the NFL? Do you think the expectations have changed since then and Agholor is being judged more harshly than he would have been in the past? maybe he will develop like Brandon Graham? or do you think he’s more likely to be a bust?(or somewhere in between I guess). I also was wondering what you think of the job of the individual coaching staff members are each doing, and/or if that’s something that can even really be judged from an outside perspective/a little more than halfway through the season. Sorry for so many questions, been a longtime reader but haven’t commented until now. Thanks for consistent good eagles content!

26. 26 Buge Halls said at 9:08 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

As far as him being a young receiver, this is his second year – the year when all the talking heads tell us players “make the jump” and “get” the NFL. Maybe in his case, it will be the third year. But in his case it’s not rocket surgery, he just needs to catch the ball! They aren’t asking him to do anything he hasn’t been doing since he was 10 or 12 years old.

He doesn’t need any more coddling at this point, it’s time for him to face the harsh reality of the NFL – if you don’t perform (and in his case that means catch the dam ball!), you are unemployed.

27. 27 Jernst said at 2:04 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Few things compare to “rocket surgery” haha

Funny thing is I said the exact same thing about him lining up wrong during the game and everyone looked at me and was like really?? Rocket surgery?

28. 28 Cafone said at 3:17 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Maybe Paul Turner isn’t fast enough to get open consistently. But we have a QB who can throw guys open. I think if Paul Turner can catch the ball like he did in the preseason then Wentz will find a way to put it where only he can catch it.

29. 29 Dave M. said at 4:14 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

That number 15 on the USC Youtube video look pretty good. Is he available?

30. 30 GermanEagle said at 6:37 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

If we could pair Ags route running with Paul Turner’s hands we would be talking Super Bowl gentlemen.

31. 31 A_T_G said at 12:22 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

If we are messing with nature, can we use Emily Ratajkowski’s torso? That way when Wentz puts it between the numbers hands won’t be needed to catch it.

32. 32 BobSmith77 said at 12:26 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Strictly a decoy on the outside.

33. 33 Mac said at 12:38 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

At this point, setting out a professionally hand carved decoy instead of a WR may be a good plan.

34. 34 A_T_G said at 6:52 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

There is a little part of me that wants to see Turner run a deep post on the first play, get separation, and then drop it.

I know that is wrong, but a morbid part of me wants to see the effects of the vacuum created when the entire population of Eastern PA collectively stops mid-cheer and inhales.

Sorry, I will do ten fly, Eagles flys and berate a Cowboys fan for something harmless and unrelated.

35. 35 Fufina said at 7:04 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

I kinda agree. It is amazing how hard people fall for camp darlings. I think Turner can be an NFL player if he works at it in an Avant like role, but he is never going to be a difference maker and is not going to solve our WR problems.

36. 36 Howie Littlefinger said at 7:35 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

I think its more that anyone who can catch will be at worse equal to 5 ypc and probably line up right

37. 37 Buge Halls said at 9:04 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

A WR who can consistently catch the ball (whether it’s Turner or not, who knows) and get positive yards will be a huge difference maker on this team as it is! A few more 1st downs (Avant style “possession” receiver) would go a long way to open this team up.

38. 38 ChoTime said at 10:29 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Agholor is playing like an undrafted rookie thrust into a starting role. Talent aside, I think a camp body performs just as well at this point. Sure, he has more talent, but the kid needs a break.

39. 39 anon said at 10:33 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

we’ll see. treggs has done a lot since that 2 catch game.

40. 40 ChoTime said at 11:08 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Treggs’ catch% is 33% in his young career. Ags is about 52.5%. We’ll see how it goes…

41. 41 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 11:17 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Treggs isnt going to have a high catch rate running nothing but deep routes. There are always going to be missed shots on deep routes. I’ll take that over a guy dropping passes because he cant out of his own head

42. 42 BobSmith77 said at 12:05 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Is it me or when Treggs goes deep he is getting consistent double coverage because it is so obvious the Eagles are looking to do him on certain routes & Wentz locks in on him early?

43. 43 kimsarah said at 11:11 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

He looks like he is concentrating more on preparing to get hit than on catching the ball first. I wonder if there is a practice drill that can fix that.

44. 44 BobSmith77 said at 12:03 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

False equivalency and no one is expecting Turner to solve their WR problems.

Just needs to give them a bit of a boost especially on 3rd down which given the competition isn’t hard or even bold to predict. Agholor is a basket case right now and DGB is just a stiff.

45. 45 Corry said at 7:17 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Some just want to watch the world burn.

46. 46 Buge Halls said at 9:02 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

So, pretty much on the same level as Agholor then.

47. 47 D3FB said at 9:10 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Why would the other team be using a DT to cover Turner?

48. 48 Mac said at 12:37 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Because they’ve implemented the Buddy Ryan belief of having a whole team of Jerome Browns?

49. 49 BobSmith77 said at 12:14 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

50. 50 Corry said at 7:28 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Riding the pine might be the best thing for Agholor right now, which is not to say he should be deactivated. Keep him active, but drastically reduce his snaps. My thought is that making him a big part of the game plan in Seattle hurt him more than helped. Sure it showed the team still has faith in him, but it probably caused him to put more pressure on himself.

Give him some time to relax and get him away from the game. If that doesn’t work, send him on the next rocket to the International Space Station and get him out of Philadelphia….or y’know make him part of a package to get Josh Gordon. If I’m going to have a head case wide receiver on this team, let’s get one that can actually do something special.

51. 51 Ankerstjernen said at 9:09 AM on November 24th, 2016:

I hate to defend him, but I think the reason he was a big part of the gameplan agains seattle was that he is the only WR on this roster with the athletic ability and route running to get any kind of open against the LoB. Which, if you look at the replays, he actually did. On the huge drop he completely faked out Richard Sherman on the cut and had about 8-10 yards of separation at the catch point. This was in man coverage, not zone. How many players on our team has the ability to get 8 yards of separation on Richard Sherman in man coverage just like that? How many on the league?

Look, obviously he has been a disaster, as that very play showed so well. But it is also easy to see why the coaching staff refuses to give up on him. We know he can catch the ball, he did it very well in college. This is not one of those situations where the player just doesnt have the skillset to compete in the big league. Its a mental thing. If/when the light goes on for him, he could still be very, very good – or ‘special’ like you said. I would have for him to tear it up on some other team, so I am all for doing whatever can be done to try and unlock him.

52. 52 GermanEagle said at 7:29 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

While I’ve been mostly in the ‘OL biggest need’ camp, I must say then when purely comparing the talent level of our OL with the WRs it’s not even close which one is the bigger need.

And I totally have faith in Howie that he will see it the same way.

53. 53 Buge Halls said at 9:01 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

OL, WR, CB, S, RB – lot’s of holes to fill

54. 54 D3FB said at 9:09 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

S?

55. 55 GermanEagle said at 9:15 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Lol. Let’s make it complete:

OL, WR, CB, S, RB, TE, DL, K, P, LS, HC, DC, OC, GM, VP, OW

56. 56 D3FB said at 9:16 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Ballboy, Fans, Mascot.

Merrill can stay. Everybody else is expendable.

57. 57 GermanEagle said at 9:26 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Just imagine Merrill alone in the stands – with a mic!

58. 58 ChoTime said at 10:28 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Taima smacked the $hit out of Swoop.

59. 59 Sb2bowl said at 1:03 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

That was Quick

60. 60 Buge Halls said at 3:08 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Safety – basically everybody behind the line

61. 61 D3FB said at 11:32 PM on November 25th, 2016:

I know what S stands for, I disagree that it’s top 10 in terms of need. Jenkins will be 29 and McLeod 27 next year. Both are very good. Watkins is solid enough as a near term third safety.

They need a long term replacement for Jenkins but they’ve got probably at least two years before that becomes a pressing need. Well below the needs at T,G,RB,WR(2),LB,DL.CB(2).

62. 62 BobSmith77 said at 12:12 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

CB is a huge need too. This team has been getting torched the last month and doesn’t have a starting CB who fits the mold of what Schwartz wants/needs to run his system optimally.

63. 63 GermanEagle said at 8:03 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

MNG: do or die! Must win. The season is on the line. The playoff hopes. Everything.

The Eagles must beat the Packers. Only if they do I will have a huge faith in them ending the road losing streak in Cincinnati.

64. 64 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 10:49 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

I think we done. Unless we win out

65. 65 iceberg584 said at 10:55 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Yeah, even if we really turn it on down the stretch, that Detroit loss is going to haunt us.

66. 66 Donald Kalinowski said at 8:40 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Wentz misses a lot of open reads and he needs to be more mobile in the pocket. That blitz by Wagner came straight at him and he wasn’t ready to move out. If he had just a little but more time he could have delivered the ball to the open receiver. His speed has been a major disappointment. Defensive lineman can catch up to him even though he has a 5 yard head start.

67. 67 Buge Halls said at 9:00 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

He’s a rookie so he’ll start to pick up on the blitzes. And he wasn’t signed to be a runing QB – I’m not sure why he keeps getting so much press for being an “athletic” QB – he’s a pocket passer, not another Vick.

68. 68 anon said at 10:08 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

people called him rothlesburger – but he hasn’t been that even. think getting smacked the first couple times made him not want to get out of the pocet

69. 69 Sb2bowl said at 12:22 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Do you remember what Ben was like as a rookie? The dude was HORRIBLE! The only reason they won games was a strong running game and a defense that was nearly unstoppable.

Wentz is further along than Ben was coming in, for sure

70. 70 Buge Halls said at 3:07 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Ben had a much better team around him then Carson does.

71. 71 Buge Halls said at 8:57 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

I see a lot of the D-Jac disease in DGB. He’ll take plays off, pretends to block if the play isn’t coming his was, and if he knows the pass isn’t coming his way, he’ll just jog through the route. Some guys can coast like that when they make big plays (see D-Jac) but bubble players like DGB need to be on it every play.

72. 72 Tom33 said at 9:37 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Richard Sherman on Julio Jones —

“But the thing that really puts him over the top is the fact that he’s a blue-collar player. He doesn’t take plays off. He doesn’t jog on decoy routes. He runs every route at max effort, even when there’s a 100% chance he’s not getting the ball. He blocks on run plays as hard as he expects his teammates to block for him on pass plays. And because he’s always going 100 mph, he doesn’t give you any indicators that might help you decipher whether it’s a run or a pass, or if he’s getting the ball or they’re throwing to the other side of the field.”

73. 73 ChoTime said at 10:26 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

And that’s why they gave up Carson Wentz money to get him!

74. 74 BobSmith77 said at 11:43 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

He doesn’t have any where near Jackson’s natural athletic ability at the same age. Also very different builds and skill sets.

Jackson was a different player too after he got the nasty hit & concussion from Dunta Robinson in Oct 2010 in the Falcons’ game. Never had the same willingness to go over the middle in traffic it seemed on those middle & underneath routes.

75. 75 daveH said at 4:52 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Saw that in Ags also

76. 76 unhinged said at 10:41 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

So much of the ojida that one experiences watching poor Nellie is timing. On an offense that had sound work ethic, strong OL, tough WR’s, the occasional dropped pass or flub is not going to pull the proverbial rug out. Take Seattle or NE. Every play is not a success, but the focus is not on the fails. They have mental toughness and ability and heart. The mis-alignment may have happened a number of times before, w/any receiver, but it would go unnoticed if it didn’t negate a sweet TD. The dropped pass when most drives had stalled may produce life-shortening myocardial ischemia, but that one drop would not erase the multiple ineffectual plays before and after. Nellie may need a time-out, but whether he turns it around or not, Eagles need to find a #1WR for their offense, their play-design guy (DP) their QB, and their chances to win. Old Nel is in a bad place, and Doug may believe he has to play himself out of it, but, as Dennis Green and Bill Parcels never said: We aren’t as bad as our record, but we’re not who we thought we were.

77. 77 Tumtum said at 12:24 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

The Hoody is pretty notorious for getting rid of guys who make mistakes like that, or at the very least sending them deep into the dog house.

78. 78 Thelonious Legend said at 11:46 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

This what happens when experts fall into “Group Think”. We just got torched by a WR experts say didn’t have the measurables to succeed in the NFL. Well Doug Baldwin is ballin out right now. Paul Turner is faster than Danny Amendola and has a better vertical jump than Agholor. But more important than all that he catches the ball. When I look at his 40, vertical, broad jump, I see a player with a short area quickness who could a make a killing in the slot. Alternate Treggs and Jordan on the outside and let the kid play before deciding his fate.

79. 79 Mac said at 12:16 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Can he stand in the right place prior to the ball being snapped?

Is he capable of holding onto a football that hits him in the hands?

If you answered yes to either of these questions about said WR, he will be an upgrade over the current version of Agholor.

80. 80 Thelonious Legend said at 12:41 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Facts

81. 81 BobSmith77 said at 11:58 AM on November 23rd, 2016:

Not sure where the ‘Turner is too small/too slow’ argument falls in terms of him being able to be a productive WR in the NFL. His 40-time, 20-time, and cone drill aren’t ideal but they aren’t off a cliff either.

Nobody with any reasonable expectation expect him to put up 80-100 yards every week. It a real stretch for him to be able to be a deep threat or be productive if he is used outside often.

Almost seems that last few years that NFL teams have seemed to too enamored with physical size & attributes at the WR & CB positions at the expense of almost everything else. DGB is a classic example of it.

It isn’t hard for me to see Turner being more productive Agholor or DGB and even on par with Matthews. The competition is so weak and so poor that a max effort, undersized guy who catches the damn ball/runs routes hard & precisely/give him QB a little confidence could give them a notable boost down the stretch.

82. 82 Tumtum said at 12:22 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Right now we just need a guy who can catch the ball when he does get his few opportunities.

83. 83 Corry said at 12:25 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Turner’s combine numbers actually compare favorably to Julian Edelman with the exception with 3 cone time. Edelman was 6.62 with Turner at 7.25. I’m of course not saying he’ll be anywhere near the player Edelman is, but despite his lack of measurables, he can still carve out a successful NFL career.

84. 84 John Galt said at 12:57 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I am not sure that you can say the numbers compare favorably. Granted the size and long speed are similar. However, when looking at Edelman, what is most important by far is his quickness in and out of breaks. These are best measured by the shuttle and 3 cone. Turner is fully 10% worse on both.
    That’s like saying a guy compares to DeSean favorably except for his 40, which is 4.75 to DeSean’s 4.3.

85. 85 Corry said at 1:10 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I didn’t express myself well enough in my post. The argument about Turner being too small/too slow to play in the NFL is what I was going against. Clearly Turner’s 3 cone time is crappy compared to Edelman’s but his size deep speed, vertical, and broad jump do compare.

My point is that while Turner isn’t ideal in any way compared to other receivers in the NFL, it doesn’t mean he can’t become a successful player. He just has to find a way to do it. If that means running perfect routes, or like Edelman being incredibly quick out of his breaks (won’t happen), there are ways to become successful despite his lack of size/speed.

Again, I didn’t really express myself well enough. I grabbed the Edelman data because they’re similar sized players.

86. 86 Mac said at 1:20 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

NFL players make mistakes (see: old man catches TD pass after defensive players run into each other (witten)). Even if all Turner can do right now is get open by a defender who has taken a play off, falls down, or just has a massive brain fart… if Turner actually catches that pass for positive yardage it’s a win.

87. 87 John Galt said at 1:22 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Fair enough, and I agree. The other thing that does compare with Edelman and other good (read:not eagles) receivers is his hands. I hope he can carve out a career, God knows we need the help.

88. 88 D3FB said at 1:09 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Those agility stats are night and day.

Kelce: 4.14, 7.22 (85 lbs heavier)
    Ertz: 4.47, 7.08 (54 lbs heavier)
    Burton: 4.31, 7.14 (29 lbs heavier)
    Kendricks: 4.19, 6.68 (45 lbs heavier)
    Hicks: 4.15, 6.78 (41 lbs heavier)

So of that group he has a better shuttle than: Ertz

The only measurables Turner is above average in are jumps and bench. He’s outside of the standard deviation on the agility.

89. 89 Corry said at 1:30 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

It was a bad comparison due to the agility numbers. Just trying to point out that Turner can be successful despite being slow and short.

90. 90 ChoTime said at 7:21 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

The obvious answer is fade route.

91. 91 BobSmith77 said at 1:15 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I wouldn’t compare him to Edelman. Just gets knocked too much for the size/speed issues. My sense is he could be a semi-productive slot/inside guy.

Less than an idea option but Eagles have to play the hand their dealt. They did try to go to Treggs a few times last week and if anything Wentz really forced it a few times on ill-advised passes in double coverage.

Really are at the ‘grasping at straws’ stage though. Great Sproles is going to play through a broken rib but I can’t see him being that productive. Matthews is banged up and gutting it out. Ertz seems to be little better too.

92. 92 Corry said at 1:18 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Yeah, the Edelman comparison was a bad one due to the agility numbers which I mentioned, but in terms of size/speed they compare. The point is that he can be successful he just has to find some other way to do it.

And you’re right. At this point of the season, the team is grasping at straws. I’m not sure that even the front office expected the receivers to be this bad.

93. 93 ChoTime said at 12:15 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Eagles dropped to #2 in DVOA, Seattle goes to #1. A good amount of Eagles commentary in the article.

“Their defensive rating is particularly interesting because after giving up a couple of huge plays to Seattle, the Eagles are now giving up 5.6 yards per play overall — exactly the same as the NFL average. How on earth are they the No. 1 defense?
    Opponent Adjustments: The Eagles have played a tougher schedule of opposing offenses than any defense in the league, with half their games coming against offenses currently in the top 10.
    Turnovers: Looking at inteceptions plus fumbles (no matter who recovers), the Eagles are tied for fifth in the NFL with 21 turnovers. The other teams with at least 20 turnovers have each faced more plays.
    Big Plays: The Eagles have been a very high risk/high reward defense this year…”

94. 94 BobSmith77 said at 12:17 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

How many big plays have the Eagles given up this year including reception for more than 20+ yards? It seems like that has jumped the last month.

95. 95 Sb2bowl said at 12:19 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

That’ll happen when your “number 1” CB has a bad hammy, and you lose your starting slot CB. We need depth in the CB department, badly.

96. 96 ChoTime said at 12:22 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

According to this site, we have the worst differential in terms of big passing plays for and big passing plays against. Unfortunately, it doesn’t factor in defensive plays for or running plays. Basically it shows we’re dinking on O and giving up lots of long receptions.

97. 97 ChoTime said at 12:24 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

We have the third largest “big rushing plays against.”

98. 98 Mac said at 12:28 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I know WR is in crisis mode, but I would love to see the Eagles add a top notch CB in the off-season.

99. 99 daveH said at 4:49 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I hope we play well

100. 100 Tumtum said at 12:20 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

So Nelson is the whole package…only he is complete garbage. That is pretty enraging isn’t it?

101. 101 Ark87 said at 12:27 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

yeah, which I think I’m on team “go get a free agent”. Get me someone I’ve seen do it in the NFL. Maybe that would open up some things for our other guys. Seeing a guy like Agholor who checks all the boxes to be at least a starting WR (there were just no question marks on this guy) in the NFL be this catastrophically bad…It just feels like this offense can’t afford to not have a passing attack again next year, can’t put that on a rookie’s shoulders.

102. 102 Corry said at 12:34 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I have no idea how they train skill position players at USC, but Agholor is just another name on a long list of washout USC stars.

103. 103 Tumtum said at 12:38 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

It reminds you that the College game just does not really translate at all to the NFL game. Baseball people like to say that AAA to the MLB is the biggest leap in sports. I call BS. It seems pretty damn easy to forecast a guy in the MLB from AAA. If anything it feels like AA translates to AAA less than AAA to MLB.

Anyway… uninformed rant /end.

104. 104 Ark87 said at 12:53 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

It’s definitely more predictable. Don’t know about the size of the performance gap, but you can definitely more easily predict what that player will look like when they cross that gap in baseball than football, for sure.

Football has all kinds of issues, the tape is a tiny sample size compared to what baseball scouts have available. Harder to separate football players from the team situation they are a part of.

105. 105 Mac said at 12:34 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

He is the MIke Mamula of game tape. (only his pro career is headed toward being an even greater disappointment)

At this point, my only hope for Agholor is that all of this year’s woes are related to the incident with the stripper, and that after he gets some time off he can find a good counselor and get his life back together.

106. 106 Tumtum said at 12:35 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Granted I was REALLY young… but I loved MM.

107. 107 Mac said at 12:36 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I did too, it just struck me as being a humorous comparison because so many people act like game tape is the end all be all evaluation tool.

108. 108 ChoTime said at 12:38 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I thought the essence of Mike Mamula was he was overdrafted due to combine performance, not game tape. If I recall correctly, he was a decent player, got around the QB but rarely took him down–dubbed “Mamulas”–and probably would have been an OK player if not for injuries.

Ags is more at the Watkins level of bust right now, no?

109. 109 Mac said at 12:40 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Yeah, I’m trying (poorly) to make a comparison between a workout warrior bust and a game tape bust.

110. 110 ChoTime said at 12:43 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I see. Again, if you Google Ags’ scouting report or something, you will see that he was not projected to be anything special, just a 2nd WR or 3rd WR starter. That’s still on the table, IMO.

By the way, Mamula ended with over 30 sacks in his career!

111. 111 Ark87 said at 12:56 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

definitely. Together they made me want to avoid any player considered the “safe pick” from now on.

112. 112 daveH said at 4:48 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Maybe comparison WonderCoach Creepy Chip Kelly NOT being greatest ever comparison

113. 113 FairOaks said at 12:39 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Mamula was a viable starter… would have been liked as a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The only problem (which wasn’t his fault, other being the first to figure out how to game the combine) was in how much the team invested to get him in the draft. He certainly wasn’t someone dragging down the team on the field — he got pressure often, was not good enough to get lots of sacks. It was just an expectations problem.

Agholor has flashed some talent, but mostly he hasn’t deserved to be on the field.

114. 114 BobSmith77 said at 12:47 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I am one of the most ardent Mamula supporters on here. His production was vastly superior to anything Agholor has remotely done so far.

Mamula was a steady if not unspectacular starter. Couldn’t build a defense around him but he could be productive/very productive at times.

Agholor has been a flat out stiff so far and is a negative when he is getting PT.

115. 115 Mac said at 1:01 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Man I really Agholor’d that joke. I’ll try harder next time guys. But if I try harder, the joke will probably fail even harder. Oh, crap.

116. 116 kimsarah said at 11:25 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Only problem is, the Giants or Redskins or worse the Cowgirls would pick up Agholar and he’d kill us.

117. 117 BobSmith77 said at 12:34 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

If the Eagles hadn’t come out of that Seahawks game so beatup, I would give them a shot (30-40%) at going 5-1 down the stretch.

Unless Rodgers can take advantage of this secondary, I like them vs Packers. Last game of the season is likely going to meaningless for the Boys and where they have their backups in from the start.

That’s 2 wins. I see them splitting the Ravens/Bengals games on the road though and ditto vs rematches vs Giants/Skins at home. Makes them 9-7 and home again in Jan though.

Still given what their prognosis was before the start of the season, that’s better than just about anybody I saw on here or the local pundits predicted. Most had them at 6-8 wins before the Bradford trade (I had them at 6-10) and slightly revised downwards after it.

118. 118 anon said at 6:22 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

We can beat anyone the skins can beat, that’s my story and i’m sticking to it. At the very least i hope we beat the skins next game and that loss keeps them out of the playoffs.

119. 119 BobSmith77 said at 12:42 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Always hard to gauge the pulse of the schizophrenic Eagles’ fan base but it seems like most fans are disappointed in what they have seen to date this year. It seems like the 3-0 start and the performance vs Steelers distorted Eagles’ fans expectations the same way the preseason game vs Packers did the year before.

Not sure what Eagles’ fans were really expecting though and how that compares to what they thought before the season. Until the Bradford trade and the announcement that Wentz was going to start in Week 1, it was the most moribund and lackdasical interest I could remember in an Eagles’ team in preseason since the late 90s/end of the Ray Rhodes era.

Wentz has shown enough this year that he has been at least a capable starter with upside potential. Yeah he had some accuracy issues and inevitable rookie growing pains. Played better than I thought he would all things considered including his almost complete lack of snaps in preseason.

Still not sold on using the DVOA ratings to evaluate this defense solely but it certainly is a vastly superior scheme & unit to the last 2 years. Part of it was the scheme but it me a lot of it goes back to Davis. Schwartz has lived up to his billing & then some by transforming this defense into a Top 10 unit.

Special teams have been solid almost all year & Sturgis has solidified the K spot.

History doesn’t necessarily repeat itself but it generally rhymes. A lot of what this team tried to do was repeat what occurred under the Andy Reid era and their on track to do that including having a franchise QB.

120. 120 ChoTime said at 12:44 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

It was those first four games. Totally skewed our expectations.

121. 121 BobSmith77 said at 12:50 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Yeah I said to a bunch of people and it got me labeled as a ‘hater.’

I did think though that after starting 3-0 that they would make the playoffs this year & win 10 games. That wasn’t an unreasonable expectation.

122. 122 ChoTime said at 12:53 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I know, I remember. I don’t like how people turn on those with less optimistic opinions.

123. 123 anon said at 6:22 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

First 4 games, plus Romo out early, plus thinking rest of NFCE is trash – was thinking playoffs.

124. 124 Jernst said at 12:51 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I forever will believe that wide receiver speed is the single most overrated stat in all of professional sports. Look at that second example posted to showcase Agholors skills and please explain to me what he did that was special. He simply runs the stem of his route towards the center of the field before breaking towards the center of the field. He’s running about 75% of his max speed. He makes no move whatsoever. His cut inside isn’t anything special. Thomas just guessed wrong and assumed that Agholar would lean inside and then break out. But you’re telling me if a guy that ran a 4.5 instead of a 4.4 did the exact same thing on that play at full speed he wouldn’t have still been open? I don’t buy it.

Outside of your truly freakish athletes like DeSean or Dez, the most important and most overlooked trait in a WR is body control and hands. How you attack the ball in the air and adjust your body to maintain position between you and the coverage while securing the catch is what matters most. It’s why Cris Carter, Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin and Wayne Chrebet will always be better than Ted Ginn, Hayward-Bey and Marquise Goodwin.

That’s not to say that speed doesn’t help. It does. It helps gets your hands and body to the ball so that you can catch it. But catching it is still the most important part. And, a guy with insanely good body control will still catch a ball while being tightly covered, will still catch a ball that’s thrown poorly and while still catch balls along the sidelines in tight spaces like the end zone where speed matters even less. But, a guy with insanely good speed but horrible hands will still drop a pass that’s right on the money while he’s wide open. At that point being wide open means nothing. The play still goes for zero yards. Whereas catching a 30 yard pass while barely getting open still moves the ball 30 yards.

Look for WRs that know how to create separation with subtle route running techniques and have great body control/hands at the catch point instead of track stars that don’t know how to do either and you’ll never go wrong.

I still think Agholor has natural catching ability though. He came out of college being praised for good hands that just snatched the ball out of the air. You don’t make a one handed catch look as casual as he did last year without having good catching ability, body control and hand eye coordination. His problem is purely mental. He had a bad drop that stuck in his head and caused him to drop another pass because he was thinking about the last one. The more the problem snowballed the more worried he’s gotten he’s going to F up and now when the balls in the air instead of knowing I’m coming down with this thing no matter what, his heart is racing a mile a minute as he panics that he might drop another one. The only thing you can do is sit him on the bench and remove the pressure, let him regain his confidence in practice and hope he turns it around. Because he’s in a slump of all slumps. He’s like a pro-golfer that suddenly gets the yips and shanks every ball he hits.

Reminds me of that great scene from Tin Cup, where Kevin Costner is overwhelmed by the enormity of being at the US Open and suddenly is he’s hitting chili peppers up Lee Janzens ass, as Chechen Marin puts it. Cheech, his caddie, tells him to take everything out of his right pocket and put it in his left pocket and tie a double knot in his left shoe, turn his hat backwards and stick a tee behind his left ear and then go hit the ball again. This time he drills it down the center of the driving range. Costner asks him how he did that and Cheech responds because I got you to stop thinking, you weren’t thinking about shanking or that girl Molly, you weren’t thinking at all. You were just looking like a fool and hitting the ball. You’re brain was getting in the way.

Obviously, it’s a movie and fixing his case of the shanks was easier than it will be in real life for Nelson. But, that’s what’s happening with Agholor. His brain is getting in the way. When you catch a football in a game you only ever do so when your brain is only thinking about one thing and one thing only and that’s the ball. It has to be the only focus. That’s why when a receiver thinks about running before securing the catch he always drops it. Nelson is thinking about the shame and heartbreak that will follow if he drops the pass while it’s traveling towards him and thus his brain isn’t focusing on the task at hand. Simple problem, difficult solution. It’s very hard to consciously control your brain as anyone who found themselves compulsively singing “Mmm Bop” while slowly going insane wishing it would just get out of their head knows all too well.

125. 125 ChoTime said at 12:58 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Kevin Costner wearing that thing on his hat to stop the shanks.

Yeah, Ags is probably working so hard on his technique and Juggs machine, concentrating as much as he can on doing everything right, etc, that he’s overwhelming himself, and it’s really counterproductive. You can think in practice, but it has to be in the hands by gametime.

126. 126 BobSmith77 said at 1:01 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Made me laugh:

127. 127 Mac said at 1:03 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Maybe one of the teams equipment mangers can work on a facemask that is designed to allow footballs to get stuck in it. Then Wentz can just fire bullets at Agholor’s head.

128. 128 ChoTime said at 1:05 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

That one was better.

129. 129 D3FB said at 1:19 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I have proposed that next time Agholor plays and does not check himself with the official, Greg Lewis is allowed to walk to the bench calmly, pick up the baseball bat he stashed pregame, return to the sideline and start screaming terribly things at Agholor for the remainder of the drive while menacing with the bat.

Greg deserves that therapeutic respite. It’s the least we can do for the man.

130. 130 SteveH said at 1:38 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

DON’T COME BACK TO THIS SIDELINE WITHOUT A TOUCHDOWN CATCH *Waves bat insanely*

131. 131 Ark87 said at 5:53 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I should probably hold G-lew more accountable for our WR situation, because currently he gets nothing but sympathy from me. This picture pretty much says it all, poor guy.

132. 132 BobSmith77 said at 1:07 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

If you were to wear an Agholor jersey to the Packers’ game on MNF, would you also get booed?

Only been to 1 game this year and didn’t see an Agholor jersey. Didn’t last either though. The most worn jersey still among WR/TE is Celek and by a wide margin. Rare to see a Matthews and even less common to see Ertz.

133. 133 Nick C said at 3:29 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Bought an Agholor jersey after the draft last year because he was the only guy I thought we would have for the next 4-5 years. Previous jerseys in the last couple years were Jackson and McCoy and no one was safe with Chip. If I wear it to a game, I may attach some bricks or Mickey Mouse hands.

134. 134 Cafone said at 4:09 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

You should have gotten a Hicks jersey, but at least you didn’t get a Rowe jersey.

135. 135 daveH said at 4:42 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Creepy Chip Kelly killed Jersey sales with his ‘im smarter than you and im kklling your salary cap” process

136. 136 Jernst said at 1:34 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I played WR for most of my young life. As a short, slow, white guy, I made my living on the football field with exceptional hands and route running, because otherwise there wasn’t any special physical reason why a football coach would look at me and want me on the field. I was able to develop those skills enough to start and produce on multiple teams. Yet, I still went through something like Agholor is going through now, where suddenly I couldn’t catch the ball to save my life. I had dropped a pass at big moment in a tight game and was mortified. The feeling stuck with me and caused me to drop another one. Before I knew it I was so frightened of dropping another ball that I simply stopped being able to catch. Which was particularly frustrating since that’s the only thing I did well. It got to the point that I was sitting in a theater watching the Waterboy and there’s this scene where the WR was running to catch the ball and and the camera just zooms in on the ball spiraling through the air in slow motion. My heart rate suddenly shot up to about 120 and a wave of nervousness swept over me. It was like a PTSD flashback happening during The Waterboy movie of all things simply because they showed a football sailing through the air. That was during our preseason and I ended up getting knocked down from first to second string. I remember asking the coach what I needed to do to get my job back and I remember him laughing and saying, “Just catch the damn ball.” Nothing really changed in my ability, but getting demoted was the shock to the system I needed. I went out and played angry from then on out. Once I lost the starting spot, there was no more fear. Instead of fear, the was anger. Instead of nervousness while the ball was in the air, there was this calm emptiness of just being obsessed with grabbing that ball. The drops just disappeared over night. I got the starting job back and never gave it up over the next four years.

Granted…that story is from high school and I’ll never pretend that the pressure I felt was even remotely on par with that of a first round pick in the NFL, in Philly of all places. But, I do sympathize with Agholor. I know his fear is real and is taking over his mind right now. And, I know the difference between guys that have a physical problem where they simply just don’t have good hands (Jordan Matthews) and guys who do have good hands and hand eye coordination that are letting their mental state take over. And, I think Agholor is the latter. It might turn out that the pressure of the NFL is just too much for him and that his psyche is simply too fragile to compete at this level. But, if I does bust out of the league it won’t because he’s physically incapable of making the plays. Something just needs to happen to make him play angry and possessed instead of scared and nervous. That’s why I think benching him is the best move and coddling him is counter productive. Someone needs to make him angry.

137. 137 Howie Littlefinger said at 3:06 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Good thing you weren’t paid millions upon millions to catch the football!

(Assuming this isn’t you Wes)

138. 138 Stormbringer said at 3:25 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I’m hoping Ags can be ‘saved’ here. I don’t want us wasting another 1st round pick and do think if he can get the pressure off, he has the physical ability to be a good player. Maybe they can give him a few Huff type things (bubble screens, handoffs, etc) to take give him some smaller things he could be successful with.

All I know is that this has happened to some high end baseball players (Rick Ankiel) and he was not able to recover from it.

139. 139 xmbk said at 3:41 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Maybe he’ll have a touchdown called back because some idiot couldn’t get on the los, which shouldn’t even happen in h.s. Think that’ll make him angry enough?

140. 140 daveH said at 4:40 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

What are the odds of that f ng guy f ing that way on that very play at that very time with that very rare result at that very point of the season. What

141. 141 anon said at 6:09 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

procedural penalties happen every game. This wasn’t the first time someone has called an illegal formation.

142. 142 jshort said at 5:19 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

You saying he needs to see the Waterboy?

143. 143 anon said at 6:08 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Upvoting for the JMatt dig.

144. 144 unhinged said at 7:23 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Somebody needs too text him the iggles blitz everyday.

145. 145 P_P_K said at 7:48 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Very cool.

146. 146 Aaron said at 8:07 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

short white guy, there you have it

147. 147 wee2424 said at 9:59 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

So he is a garuntee shoe in for the Patriots?

148. 148 GermanEagle said at 8:24 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

So… why don’t you play for the Eagles?

149. 149 Jernst said at 1:12 AM on November 24th, 2016:

Unfortunately short, slow, white guy that can’t jump or run well isn’t routinely on most NFL coaches wish list.

150. 150 wee2424 said at 10:07 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Confidence is everything, especially in sports. Once you start to think you are going to mess up.

One of the biggest things that change in a player from year 1-3 is that it all goes from thinking to instinct.

Ag’s has improved in other aspects of his game, but his loss of confidence in his hands has made him start to think when the ball is coming near him.

The fact that he has improved in other areas is what has made the coaching staff keep him on the field. They figured he just needed that 1 game where he makes some big catches and it will carry him off.

It was a logical decision. Hasn’t worked. This past game makes it clear he needs to work on his hands and in turn confidence out of the spotlight.

151. 151 BlindChow said at 10:46 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Unfortunately, I don’t Agholor’s going to get demoted. Doug’s just going to keep trotting him out there like nothing’s wrong.

152. 152 HawaiianEagle said at 3:58 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

153. 153 ChoTime said at 7:22 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

WTH?

154. 154 ACViking said at 6:29 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Re: Another No. 17 Who Once Had the Droppsies

Maybe it’s the number.

Maybe it’s partying too much.

Maybe it’s a coincidence.

But a little more than 40 years ago, the Eagles greatest WR — who for a time owned the record for consecutive games with a reception — had trouble catching the football.

He also wore #17.

In 1974, Harold Carmichael — just one season after leading the NFL in receptions with 67 — started dropping easy passes.

And Carmichael’s troubles continued through the ’75 season.

Everyone here knows the rest of the story.
    __________________

Here’s a great SI story on Carmichael’s streak . . . which recounts his problem with drops. (Note: Carmichael’s streak ended the Sunday after this story.)

155. 155 daveH said at 7:16 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Fantastic. I hopehe reads this and is inspired.
    I certainly hope he doesnt party … wtf does he have to party about!

156. 156 Dragon_Eagle said at 7:27 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Random silver lining rant:

I had this team pegged at 7-9 before the Bradford trade and down to 5/6 wins immediately afterwards. Playoffs? Playoffs? Hah. Rookie QB, total lack of talent on offensive side of ball (Thanks Chip), OL in disarray (Thanks Chip), our starting RT about to get suspended for 10 games, rookie head coach (Thanks, Chip), and a defense switching schemes again (Thanks Chip) but with some talent on the front line (Thanks Andy/Howie) and possibly an emerging star at MLB.

The rest of our division suddenly woke up. We arguably play in the toughest division in football right now, second toughest at worst if you want to tout the AFC West.

Wentz has it. He’s going to have his struggles, but he’s playing well with what’s around him. Schwartz turned this D into something outstanding. Dougie is better than expected and certainly does not appear to have inherited all of AR’s poor game/clock management skills.

Yeah, we got our butts whooped in Seattle, by the same team that the previous week went across country, into New England, and put the smack down on Belichick, Brady, and the Patri*ts. Yes, Agholor does indeed stink. Yes, the other WRs are nothing to shout about. The OL needs upgrades and basically we have no playmakers.

BUT, I am thinking of this as the start of a decade of being serious competitors year in year out. Yeah, we’re at least a good draft or two away from being called a top 5 team. But the foundation is there for the Eagles going forward. Howie & Dougie did a great, no superb, job this past offseason. I’m betting they’ll continue that good work.

I’m a gonna enjoy this ride. Cause the last one with Chip Fucking Kelly sucked rancid moose juice.

Go Birds.

157. 157 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 8:07 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Agholor’s issue appear to be completely mental. He has the physical tools but some lacks the confidence right now.

158. 158 BreakinAnklez said at 8:12 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

That highlight video is depressing…he was a beast. Some really great catches too…

159. 159 GENETiC-FREAK said at 8:27 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Damn man watching that vid the guy has the skills! Has all the tools we want. Runs real smooth n just glides past people. Need to regain some confidence in him. Maybe get him involved in PR again. Have that feel of catching a ball n running into defenders or around them again. Too much talent to just flush him down the toilet i reckon.

160. 160 anon said at 8:32 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Chip was really focused on ppl that could run through traffic. Be interesting to see him handle a couple of returns, maybe that helps him out -get’s the ball into his hands and lets him focus on what he’s good at.

161. 161 wee2424 said at 9:27 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

In a way I feel bad for him. Regardless of his struggles he always puts in the effort. You can tell he really wants to do right by the team because whenever he messes up you can see the pain in his face.

I don’t think this off season was a true indication of his character.

When he caught that TD versus Cleveland he looked so ecstatic I thought it would be the turning point for him to some degree.

DP needs to get him off the field before he is completely mentally crushed.

162. 162 BlindChow said at 10:40 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

163. 163 Insomniac said at 9:32 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

I don’t know who the hack is after Missanelli on 97.5 but fuck him. Shaming Doug for saying Agholor is seeing a sports psychologist is not hurting anyone. If anything it actually shows that Agholor is trying to get better. Shame on you for thinking that anyone with a brain thinks that it’s throwing Agholor into shark infested waters. If he doesn’t improve then it’s not because he didn’t try, it’s going to be that he’s just not good in the first damn place.

164. 164 wee2424 said at 9:43 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Sports psychology is used by players of all leagues a whole lot more then someone would think.

I agree, to us it shows he cares and wants to do right. I don’t think that was a question from the start, but it just further confirms it.

He seems like a really good kid.

165. 165 kimsarah said at 11:31 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

How about some super glue.

166. 166 levdog said at 11:13 PM on November 23rd, 2016:

Philly fans should not listen to the trash sports talk radio stations in this city. These stations are always negative, and have never been good. They do a disservice to the true Philadelphia sports fan. For example Missanelli is himself a hack and how long has he lasted on the air….

167. 167 unhinged said at 12:53 AM on November 24th, 2016:

This probably won’t go down with a bunch of folks, but I think the hate for Chip Kelly is misplaced anger. He drafted a damn good LB, signed a damn good safety, signed a productive 3-4 LB who might be more suited to that alignment than to our present 4-3. He drafted Bennie Logan and Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz and Trey Burton. He overhauled a run of the mill ST, and it is now the class of the league. He didn’t hit on everything, but has anybody seen how a healthy Alonso is playing down in Miami? He came back too early, and re-aggrivated an injured knee here. Kelly is well regarded in coaching circles because the guy is impressive with a chalk board. His people skills, specifically, dealing with highly paid, very talented, often emotionally immature athletes is suspect, but he isn’t a dummy, and he may yet figure out the NFL or maybe he won’t. The point is he didn’t consign this team to its mediocre present. Going 10-6 twice with Vick and Foles pulling the trigger reflected some intelligence, and the year 3 meltdown was a FRANCHISE failure in my opinion. Maybe somebody will expose all of the back room animus that killed a locker room, disillusioned fans who were trying to root for disillusioned players, and blew the season up by week 6. Kelly publicly embarrassed a proud owner, and perhaps his fate in Philly was written that very day. As hard a time as he gave the local press, I will forever admire the man. He was entertaining until he was resigned to the inevitable. Then he was just depressing to me, but I think the man has not earned the resentment that so many have expressed.

168. 168 Insomniac said at 1:57 AM on November 24th, 2016:

No sorry you’re just completely wrong. He ruined the team and thank god Lurie got rid of him before we ended up like the 49ers.

169. 169 PacificPurl said at 4:16 AM on November 24th, 2016:

Oh please. The 49ers had been gutted before York and Baalke visited Chip to offer him a job. Since training camp they’ve lost their most promising receiver to injury, then half their Front 7, a veteran offensive lineman, and their better QB is still not totally recovered from 3 or 4 surgeries. Nobody builds a team in one year.

170. 170 Greg said at 9:34 AM on November 24th, 2016:

Chip will never build anything in the NFL. Give him 10 years and he will be in last place every year. His system is flawed and he can’t adjust. See above.

171. 171 PacificPurl said at 4:09 AM on November 24th, 2016:

Totally agree. Every time an innovative thinker appears, in any field, there are folks with tunnel vision who are afraid of change that start shrieking, “Off with his/her head.”

172. 172 Greg said at 9:05 AM on November 24th, 2016:

When the Eagles signed Chip Kelly I was really disappointed. At the time their D was weak and I was hoping for a defensive oriented coach to take over and build that side of the ball up to match where the offense was. Then they played the redskins in a primetime game where it was over by halftime. I and everyone else was sold on Chip Kelly then and there. The offense looked unstoppable. However, the redskins game hinted at his flawed system. While the game should have been over at halftime, the redskins climbed back into it, because Chip didn’t control the clock. The best defense is a slow methodical offense, more like Doug’s but with receivers who can catch and extend drives. Chip had the opposite of that. So as everyone knows it put a major strain on the D because they had to play so many snaps. The NFL is set up where you cant have high skilled players at every position. So coaching and gameplanning is much more important than at the college level. You have to find ways to attack the opponents weaknesses, and ways to protect your own. This is where Kelly’s stubbornness really hurt him. Week after week he ran the same guys out there to run the same 5 plays in the same high speed system. His way of adapting was cutting plays out but never adding plays in. That’s why the offense was so watered down at the end. He will never win that way and San Fran will be his last gig in the NFL. The only question is how many years they will let him flounder. Have the Eagles benefited from some of the things he brought to Philly? Yeah… There’s the sports science stuff and some players he brought in. But he did so much more harm than good. Switching to a 3-4 was dumb… I have no idea how they are a top defense this year after switching back to a 4-3. He failed to draft an OL for 3 years in a row… Arguably the most important position on the team other than qb. But even a good OL can make an average qb look great at times. He shipped off good players like djax and shady for nothing and basically nothing. All because he couldn’t handle their personalities. Which is another thing an NFL coach needs to be able to do. Many skilled players come with baggage. It sucks but it’s part of the job. I’d love to see the NFL clean that up like Kelly was trying to do, but there are 31 other coaches that will take on the baggage if the skill is worth it. Kelly put this team in a hole and you are seeing the effects of that this year where the Eagles are in last place. Despite all that I think Doug Howie and Schwartz deserve a lot of credit that they don’t have a losing record, and have been in every game except the seahawks game. I see a lot more potential for this team now then I did at the end of last season.

173. 173 KillaKadafi said at 5:46 AM on November 24th, 2016:

Blaming Chip Kelly for everything can be tiresome, personally I appreciate a more balanced approach. He brought many new and positive things to the Eagles, and even the NFL, and the Eagles were a good, exciting team in his first two years. Unfortunately for him and us, rather than make the leap to SB contenders in his third season he allowed things to spiral out of control.

I have to admit it is difficult seeing McCoy in a Bills uniform, and DJax in Washington, especially considering how we have missed their skillsets (and I say that while not being the biggest fan of DJax and his antics).
    I don’t necessarilly blame him for Maclin leaving as Mac was offered a pretty good contract the year he returned from injury but he chose to bank on himself, fortunately for him his hard work paid off with a very good final season with us and he was able to reunite with AR and get paid big time.

Part of Chip’s downfall was his stubborness in not adapting/tweaking his handling of his roster, not replacing the top talent adequately, not varying his play-calling, sticking to playing 100mph on Offense, forcing the 3-4 on Davis and the Defensive roster and then overburdening them with little TOP game-after-game.

Chip brought in Jenkins, Sproles, and drafted some potentially very good players, but his act wore thin and rapidly. If he can adapt his methods to the NFL by showing variation in his play-calling, not always playing quick-tempo, not treating his players like college players and utilising them correctly (case-in-point Murray) I can see him being a success in the league. However, coaches are known to be stubborn in their ways, and perhaps he is of the opinion that his stubborness in the past has served him well

174. 174 BreakinAnklez said at 7:36 PM on November 25th, 2016:

Alonso has been playing well in Miami…

175. 175 BreakinAnklez said at 7:38 PM on November 25th, 2016:

My bad…typed before digesting your point. BMax on the other hand, I don’t believe has looked well.

176. 176 Aaron said at 8:01 AM on November 24th, 2016:

so alot of yall done back on the agholor bandwagon just because you watched a couple videos, I guess the main part of the videos showing him dropping the ball doesnt matter, huh, I am your father

177. 177 Greg said at 9:32 AM on November 24th, 2016:

Hey Tommy. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! I know you mentioned being busy with work recently, so hopefully you get some time off and get to enjoy Turkey funions and some PBR. Thanks for your hard work week in and week out!

178. 178 P_P_K said at 9:52 AM on November 24th, 2016:

Thankful for Iggles Blitz, best blog in the football world.

179. 179 Stephen E. said at 10:29 PM on November 24th, 2016:

Please get rid of the latest disappointing NA. Please.

It’s nice that he’s so quick, and runs good routes. I could catch those balls if I was wearing those gloves. They practically catch the ball all by themselves.

Put him on the bench. Forcing him out there is doing nothing. He’s getting worse.

180. 180 BreakinAnklez said at 7:35 PM on November 25th, 2016:

Lot of people said the same thing about Brandon Graham…he’s looking pretty good…