CB Update

Posted: February 23rd, 2017 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 135 Comments »

The Eagles need CB help. Nolan Carroll is a free agent and won’t be re-signed. Leodis McKelvin got cut recently. That leaves Jalen Mills, Aaron Grymes and CJ Smith to create a no-fly zone in south Philly.

The Eagles will add a CB in free agency. We just don’t know if they will throw megabucks at a top corner or if they will focus big money on WR and add a solid veteran at a reasonable price to help the secondary. We did get some news today on a couple of potential targets.

Verner spent the last 3 years with the Bucs, but he began his career with the Titans. He never played for Jim Schwartz (already in Detroit), but he did play in the same system and for the man who succeeded Schwartz, Chuck Cecil.

Adding Verner would be a band-aid. You can think of him as a better version of Nolan Carroll. The Eagles will add one or maybe two CBs in the draft. You don’t want to count on them to start so it would help to have a dependable veteran on the roster. Verner could be that guy. He is 28 years old. He has started 70 career starts and has only missed 2 games in his career. Verner’s price would also be right.

He does have 15 career INTs and his familiarity with the scheme should help him to fit in.

Some highlights for your viewing pleasure.

If the Eagles decide to spend big, one guy they could target is AJ Bouye of the Texans. Because the team already has pricey corners in Jonathan Joseph and Kareem Jackson, it sounds like Houston will let Bouye hit free agency.

Here is a good piece on him by MMQB.

In fact, if it weren’t for injuries to Jackson and Joseph in October, Bouye might never have gotten an extended look as a starter in Houston. But once that door opened, Bouye didn’t let it shut. He became the No. 1 corner and one of the best players on the NFL’s best defense, in on 296 of 298 snaps from Week 12 to Week 16 and every one of the Texans’ defensive snaps in the playoffs.

“All that [I went through] instilled something in me, it gave me a chip on my shoulder,” Bouye says. “When you’re a first-rounder, you have way more room to make mistakes, people make excuses for you, saying you’re growing or you’re learning. But as an undrafted guy, you have to be perfect.”

I have watched tape on him and Bouye is terrific. If the Eagles want to invest big money, he would be an excellent choice.

135 Comments on “CB Update”

1. 1 CB Update - said at 11:30 PM on February 23rd, 2017:

[…] Tommy Lawlor The Eagles need CB help. Nolan Carroll is a free agent and won’t be re-signed. Leodis […]

2. 2 Ryan Rambo said at 11:46 PM on February 23rd, 2017:

“I get the feeling the big money will go to WR, but Bouye would be very tempting.”

Hmmmmm. Why does Alshon come to mind when I read this? Do NOT want.

3. 3 midnitemud said at 12:47 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Same. Don’t want Jeffrey at all. Many fans don’t want the team to add a top-money CB in FA because of past mistakes. Yet, I think they are better served going that route than signing a top-money WR. Bouye is still young, very talented, and I believe to be a good fit. Yes, the team still needs to draft CBs, but looking at what we have now at the CB position, a CB must be signed during FA (and not just a band-aid like we’ve been doing in recent years).

4. 4 Anders said at 4:44 AM on February 24th, 2017:

The fear is that bouye has less than 1 season worth of film on him.
    A guy like Jeffrey has several years

5. 5 LionoJezzurp said at 7:40 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Several years but hes only really produced for two of them so not like it’s a lot different to Bouye

6. 6 Anders said at 7:54 AM on February 24th, 2017:

He average 72.2 yards per game or 1155 yards per 16 games. That is producing.

7. 7 LionoJezzurp said at 9:05 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Two 1,000 yard receiving years in his career.

Your argument is like saying Sam Bradford was a really good qb in his injured year because he threw for 300 yards the 3 games he played in 3 years or something lol

Im not obssessed with stats like some people and so 1,000 yard seasons arent the be all and end all but for a number 1 WR he hasn’t delivered a great volume of production IMO

8. 8 midnitemud said at 8:45 AM on February 24th, 2017:

I hear you. There is a certain fear with every FA acquisition. I just hear a lot of people talking about “double-dipping” at CB early in the draft. That means zero experience, along with Mills, CJ, and Grymes as the “veterens” at the position. Adding Bouye keeps the position group young, but also brings experience. I fear Jeffrey’s suspension history given what happened with Lane this past year.

9. 9 LionoJezzurp said at 9:08 AM on February 24th, 2017:

yeah I would rather be looking for 1 CB and 1 WR in the draft than needing no WR but needing 2/3 CB. Dont want to end up reaching for corners (or anything else).

10. 10 Mr. Magee said at 10:41 AM on February 24th, 2017:

It would be like taking money and burning it

11. 11 Tumtum said at 12:35 PM on February 24th, 2017:

I don’t want him either. The one caveat is if the team really wants him im on board. They know this team. They know the player. If we sign him I will at least be glad we got our guy.

12. 12 GermanEagle said at 2:31 PM on February 24th, 2017:

I wouldn’t mind Jeffery, but
    Pryor >>> Alshon!

13. 13 CrackSammich said at 6:22 PM on February 24th, 2017:

I’d agree if you could get him on a prove it contract, but you don’t want to be in a bidding war with the teams stupid enough to give him a star contract.

14. 14 Sean Stott said at 1:26 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Always liked Verner

15. 15 PapaMAS said at 8:16 AM on February 24th, 2017:

The Eagles still have Ron Brooks, right? Not top shelf but good.

16. 16 Sb2bowl said at 10:54 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Also only has 1 leg while his quad muscle reattaches to the tendons. If he can come back from that injury, it’d be amazing.

17. 17 A Roy said at 2:45 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Gotta agree with Sb2bowl. Brooks will take at least a full season to recover…if he ever does.

18. 18 D3FB said at 8:33 AM on February 24th, 2017:

If you’re gonna pay big money to a CB, please just pay Gilmore. You know he can play well in the scheme. Minimize your risk.

19. 19 GermanEagle said at 8:55 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Good point. However I think Gilmore will be vastly overpaid by a team not called the Eagles.

20. 20 Dominik said at 9:05 AM on February 24th, 2017:

He had a down year (well, I just read he made the Pro Bowl, which is strange, since I’m pretty sure I read at the end of the season that he wasn’t as good as he has played previously – when I look at Kelce making the Pro Bowl this year, maybe it’s the same with him). Maybe that helps with the price. Also, in todays NFL where bascically any contract is a two or three year deal when it comes to guar. money, it wouldn’t be a bad idea out of his perspective to come to a city with a young franchise QB, a talented front seven and, most importantly, a scheme and a DC where he played his best season as a pro.

I’m not saying he will (or should, out of his perspective) let many millions on the table to play for us. But if the money is being in the same ballpark, I think it would be smart for him to reunite with Schwartz. And if recent history is any indication, Schwartz is well liked by his (former) players.

21. 21 D3FB said at 9:42 AM on February 24th, 2017:

There’s enough CB talent on the market and a strong draft class that teams won’t pay him batshit money. He want’s 14, I think you can get him in the 12-13 range. I’d give him 5/65 with around 25-30 mil guaranteed and sleep solidly at night.

22. 22 GermanEagle said at 2:28 PM on February 24th, 2017:

That’s my man! Haven’t seen you throwing around that kind of $$$ in a while, my friend…!

23. 23 Sb2bowl said at 10:53 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Out of all of the options, he presents the least amount of risk (as far as projections go)– the other option would be Johnson (familiar with Rodney). But of the two, Gilmore looks like the more solid prospect.

24. 24 Mac said at 11:21 AM on February 24th, 2017:

The Eagles have some insight with Schwartz on perhaps the most important, and most elusive factor in the FA market with Gilmore. Does he love playing football?

It’s so frustrating seeing the team target highly talented players only to see them held back by the new found weight of their wallet. I hope the team can get this one right.

25. 25 laeagle said at 12:15 AM on February 25th, 2017:

The Eagles had insight into Leodis McKelvin and signed him. Not sure how much of an advantage that “the Schwartz” gives us.

26. 26 Mac said at 12:57 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Howie’s got to exhaust every possible resource to try to ensure that the Eagles don’t get Nnamdi’d this year. If the team spends top end or near top end money on a CB, it should be on a guy they’re pretty sure can solve part of the problem for at least 3 years.

27. 27 xmbk said at 5:52 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Nothing wrong with the McKelvin signing. We got what we paid for.

28. 28 BobSmith77 said at 7:43 PM on February 25th, 2017:

McKelvin hurt his hamstring in Week 4? and after that played at less than 100% of the yeat. At times it seemed like he was only out there because they have no real alternative.

29. 29 Media Mike said at 7:08 AM on February 25th, 2017:

I’m with that logic, but if you’re other post on projected salaries is correct; I need to know he’ll be a lock-down player.

30. 30 D3FB said at 12:17 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Inflation. Robert Alford is really good CB2 he just got 4/38. I would say the top guys are all Darius Slay level and he just got 4/48.

A Vontae Davis 4/36 in 2014 is now 12-13 a year. That’s just market realities.

31. 31 Media Mike said at 4:28 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Gotcha. Dropping 5 / $60 on Gilmore is scary unless we’re getting 80 games played and 5 pro bowls.

32. 32 xmbk said at 5:51 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Man, that’s just silly. This is football, there are no 1 year guarantees, no less 5. Pro bowl level for 5 years, even with some games missed, is a bargain at that price.

33. 33 Media Mike said at 6:39 PM on February 25th, 2017:

That’s my point about silly money for guys I don’t know. I don’t want to put out huge ($12 mil / year +) sums of money for guys external to my team who I don’t know how they’ll play with my team, system, teammates, etc.

I want to save those deals for my draftees who’ve earned it, like Fletcher Cox.

34. 34 xmbk said at 6:51 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Ok that’s a good point. Something to be said for rewarding homegrown and developing a culture. I’d feel better about signing a couple of #2 wideouts and drafting cb 1, 2, and 3.

35. 35 Media Mike said at 6:54 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Yeah, that’s really how I want to see them built. We have a franchise QB in place, so lets be smart in assembling the talent around him and developing the best guys.

36. 36 Corry said at 8:33 AM on February 24th, 2017:

I would be OK with going mid-tier free agents at every position of need and trying to build through the draft. If we were closer to contenders, I’d probably feel differently (not to say we can’t compete for the playoffs this year).

With that said, I do think Jeffery and Bouye fit what the we would drop a lot of money on: mid 20s FA with room to grow.

37. 37 GermanEagle said at 8:54 AM on February 24th, 2017:

I’ve read somewhere that buyers should beware re Bouye due to his inexperience and also his knack for Pass Interference calls?!

Despite that being said I wouldn’t mind him in Kelly green at all..

Another top CB option in FA would be Trumaine Johnson, who probably has 4 years left in his prime.

38. 38 Ark87 said at 9:09 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Lurie would be a true man of the people if he brought back the Kelly Green and let the Midnight Green be our alt uniform for those color rush or whatever games, or historical uniform games. 20 years from now we would just call it Andy Green

39. 39 Bob said at 9:14 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Yes Verner is exactly the type of CB we could use. Him and Johnson from the Rams would be excellent replacements and not the top dollar cost like Bouye. Forget the expensive WR’s too and go for both Kenny Britt and Kendall Wright or Kenny Stills. All young and have speed (plus they can catch!). Draft OJ Howard in the 1st round and him and Ertz would unstoppable in passing game. We can get a decent RB like Donta Forman in the 2nd or third and another WR with the other top 3 pick.

40. 40 Terry Mickie said at 9:22 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Very solid plan. I agree 100%!

41. 41 D3FB said at 9:50 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Trumaine Johnson is going to cost a ton. Johnson, Kirkpatrick, Bouye and Gilmore are all probably going to get north of 10 mil per.

42. 42 Sb2bowl said at 10:49 AM on February 24th, 2017:

You think Kirkpatrick will get that much? How about Claiborne or Amukamara?

43. 43 scratcherk said at 11:41 AM on February 24th, 2017:

surprised there isnt more buzz with amukamara. He had a decent year last year. I think I would go for him and/or verner.

44. 44 Sb2bowl said at 1:57 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Prince seems like a mid level #1 CB. In otherwords, much more than we currently have on the roster.
    Verner scares me with his lack of play and production lately; he might just need a change of scenery.

45. 45 Ark87 said at 10:55 AM on February 24th, 2017:

yowza! Somebody is going to think they deserve that much, get passed up, maybe we can pick them up out of the bargain bin with a chip on their shoulder, nice to dream in the offseason.

46. 46 xmbk said at 5:52 PM on February 25th, 2017:

And Ryan.

47. 47 D3FB said at 9:08 AM on February 26th, 2017:

I’ll let someone else be the sucker to give a Belicheck DB big money.

48. 48 xmbk said at 9:09 PM on February 26th, 2017:

You may be right, but with all the money this year it will likely happen. I’m betting Tennessee.

49. 49 Tumtum said at 12:48 PM on February 24th, 2017:

I like your style.

50. 50 Buge Halls said at 2:05 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Another year of hearing “This is the year Ertz should have a breakout season”!

51. 51 CrackSammich said at 6:20 PM on February 24th, 2017:

I guess I saw him having pretty solid seasons already?

52. 52 GermanEagle said at 4:45 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Stills. Can. Not. Catch.

53. 53 Sb2bowl said at 4:46 PM on February 24th, 2017:

So he will fit seamlessly within our WR corpse?

54. 54 GermanEagle said at 5:48 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Probably. But I Stills pass.

55. 55 CrackSammich said at 6:19 PM on February 24th, 2017:

*high five*

56. 56 laeagle said at 12:14 AM on February 25th, 2017:

That. Is. Not. True.

57. 57 GermanEagle said at 4:00 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Have you seen him play?

58. 58 Media Mike said at 7:04 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Need to trade Matthews on draft day in that case because Matthews can only play slot, so if you’re in 12 (1 RB / 2 TE); you’re not able to put Matthews on the field.

59. 59 GordonGekko said at 9:48 AM on February 24th, 2017:

The FA market for top WRs and CB looks to be overpayed and underperform. It’s best to draft and develop them.

60. 60 Nick C said at 12:19 PM on February 24th, 2017:

It is always best to draft and develop them. And sign them to modest extensions. But we do not have that luxury.

61. 61 GordonGekko said at 1:02 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Right. And that’s what’s going to lead to Spielman being fired after next season if they don’t make the playoffs.

62. 62 Mac said at 11:27 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Maybe I’m too easily amused at times, but this is fun. Honestly though, the most fun aspect is the fact that the Eagles aren’t included in this little game at all.

63. 63 Mitchell said at 11:55 AM on February 24th, 2017:

Idk about Chad Henson (WR CAL): He just uses the stutter step out of over 75% of his releases. The CB just has to stand there and wait for him to break one way or the other. He is good in traffic and has good play speed with the ball in his hands (i.e. screens) but IDK what Jeremiah is thinking with him in the the top 50.

64. 64 FairOaks said at 12:18 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Is that the type of thing which coaches can fix, as opposed to natural ability?

65. 65 Mitchell said at 3:24 PM on February 24th, 2017:

The stutter step at the line? Yeh I would think so. It’s ingrained into his motor pattern and he’s gonna need a LOT of reps to not do it.

66. 66 D3FB said at 12:41 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Top 50 is high, fringe top 100 probably more accurate.

67. 67 GermanEagle said at 2:52 PM on February 24th, 2017:

According to SI he’s the 12th best WR Rookie Prospect. So Top 100 makes probably more sense.

68. 68 Mitchell said at 3:25 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Sure. I was thinking like top 150/4th rounder.

69. 69 Media Mike said at 7:03 AM on February 25th, 2017:

I like that better.

70. 70 Insomniac said at 1:38 PM on February 24th, 2017:

I was going to look at his tape this weekend, sounds like I should do ArDarius Stewert first.

71. 71 GermanEagle said at 2:30 PM on February 24th, 2017:

If the rumors are true and Carson Wentz is indeed working out with WR prospects only the Eagles FO loves, then I happen to believe more and more that the Eagles will make a play for Jeffery.

JuJu Smith-Schuster​ USC6′ 2″, 220 lbs.
    Cooper KuppEastern Washington6′ 2″, 205 lbs.​
    Chad HansenCal6′ 2″, 205 lbs.
    Time’s yours.

72. 72 Ark87 said at 2:37 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Or they want the player, didn’t want the contract to get him, already gave up, and are looking for cheap knock-offs?

73. 73 GermanEagle said at 2:41 PM on February 24th, 2017:

They ok have to invest big $$$ in the WR position eventually.

74. 74 Ark87 said at 2:50 PM on February 24th, 2017:

yeah, I have this sense of urgency that we have to load up and get something done while Wentz is on his rookie deal. Once he gets paid this team may be a Colts-esque. It’s just strange to have a team strapped for cash with some deep deep holes and our franchise QB isn’t on a franchise QB contract.

75. 75 GermanEagle said at 2:51 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Yes, sometimes I miss Joe Banner..

76. 76 scratcherk said at 10:53 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Thought it was mack hollins not Chad Hansen?

77. 77 GermanEagle said at 4:33 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Both.

78. 78 Media Mike said at 7:03 AM on February 25th, 2017:

I hope they’re not.

79. 79 kajomo said at 2:47 PM on February 24th, 2017:

I like players that have elite athletic traits. If you get guys that are special physically and coach them up you have elite players. If you have a good player with limited physical tools than his ceiling is simply a good player.

The Seattle Seahawks have been the model for this mindset in their drafting and player development. They set clear guidelines and target these traitsfor each position. It has resulted in sustained success with explosive and violent athletes, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Here is a pre-combine guide from Feild Gulls that can give you an idea of
    what the Seahawks look for. The eagles run different schemes, so it’s not a copy and paste situation. However a similar mindset for the eagles could help them significantly in the mid-late rounds.

80. 80 Dave said at 3:57 PM on February 24th, 2017:

“I like players that have elite athletic traits.”

All NFL players have elite athletic traits, that’s why they’re in the NFL.

“If you get guys that are special physically and coach them up you have elite players.”

These guys are known as high first round draft picks.

“If you have a good player with limited physical tools than his ceiling is simply a good player.”

I’m assuming is you have a bad player with limited physical tools then their ceiling is simply a bad player.

Nonsense!

81. 81 Insomniac said at 4:52 PM on February 24th, 2017:

“All NFL players have elite athletic traits, that’s why they’re in the NFL.”

Well I think he meant like the best of the best. Take Randy Moss, Megatron, and Julio for example. Seahawks supposedly use sparq rating, which is a pretty good measurement.

“These guys are known as high first round draft picks.”

A lot of raw mega-athletes out there. They usually get taken mid-round or later.

82. 82 kajomo said at 8:59 PM on February 24th, 2017:

You really are just being cynical for no reason, but I’ll give it a shot.

1) not true. Paul turner is not an elite athlete. He does everything else well, but nobody would say he is elite. Few NFL players are truly elite all around. Most good ones have a couple elite traits they can hang their hat on. Basketball has far superior athletes than the NFL, so to say they are all elite is “nonsense”.

2) the Seahawks have a moto of “tell me what he is great at, not what he can’t do.” Pete Carroll and Schneider talk about this fairly often. Russell Wilson was too short. Richard Sherman too inexperienced and slow. Kam chancellor too slow. Doug Baldwin, KJ wright, etc. they have built a dominant team through the middle rounds. These players had some flaws, but also had a few unique athletic traits.

Additionally they have draft certain players much earlier than the consensus project them. Bruce Irvin with a ridiculous 10 yard split. Justin Britt was highly athletic, but was rated lower by most teams. They see the value in these traits that other teams have been passing on.

3) the point is that all teams miss on players. All teams also get a few steals. They develop players where they outperform their draft position. When you hit on a guy with more athleticism logically he has a higher ceiling, the NFL comes down to star players. Their focus is on adding as many stars as possible. The odds go up when focusing on athletic traits.

All of this said you need a system in place. We saw the raiders fail with a similar approach under Al Davis. We need firm schemes and target players that fit said schemes. This also allows up to accurately assign the athletic/physical guidelines for each position. And above all you need continuity within the organization. It starts with a stable coaching staff and continues by resigning you best players. The Seahawks preach keeping the band together. This familiarity allows players to develope and play on instinct, allowing those athletic gifts to shine through.

No more Brian Rolle, Casey matthews, Reno Mahe, Kenjon Barner, Paulette Turner, etc wastes of space.

83. 83 ChoTime said at 11:11 PM on February 24th, 2017:

“Russell Wilson was too short. Richard Sherman too inexperienced and slow. Kam chancellor too slow. Doug Baldwin, KJ wright, etc”

I think you just contradicted your main point (which I happen to disagree with). These guys _weren’t_ elite physical specimens. I disagree with the idea that you should focus on athleticism in the hope that you can “coach up” a player. The difference between top players and the others is not in coaching, it has to do with other traits, mostly fixed, which happen to be unmeasurable.

A team full of flyers and projects like Momatron and DGB wouldn’t even be a team. You need guys that actually know how to play, glue guys, too.

The best players are not necessarily the most athletic ones, and potential is only visible with hindsight.

Mike Vick is not the best QB the world has ever seen.
    There are plenty of guys who can run and jump who sit on the bench during games.

84. 84 laeagle said at 12:12 AM on February 25th, 2017:

I disagree with your notion that “a team full of flyers and projects like Momatron and DGB wouldn’t even be a team.” I would call that team the early 90s Oakland Raiders.

85. 85 ChoTime said at 12:19 PM on February 25th, 2017:

I don’t really have any memories of the Raiders around that time. Were they making noise in the playoffs?

86. 86 kajomo said at 1:34 PM on February 25th, 2017:

or you could read considering I brought up the raiders first.

87. 87 kajomo said at 10:52 AM on February 25th, 2017:

I posted to original link for those who are interested in scouting a little differently. The Seahawks have been one of, if not the best teams on hitting on guys in the mid and late rounds. If you have a better suggestion on doing well on day 3 of the draft please share.

I didn’t contradict my main point. RW is too short, but is extremely athletic and has a big time arm. He may throw the prettiest ball in the leagues. Sherman is slow, but has elite length (height + arm length). and a great 3cone considering his height. These players weren’t your typical elite 1st found pick athlete, but still had a couple of elite traits. Antonio Brown is another guy people should not have been surprised about. He has one of the truly elite 3 cone drills in combine history. His change of direction is elite. That has carried over.

Nowhere have I said ignore their game tape. That is always the key to great evaluating. I guess I understated this as I assumed people would understand that. The physical parameters simply thin the heard and increase the chances of hitting on a good player. They also make sure you draft players that fit your systems. Good fit is so important to player development.

Its tape + Measurable + character. Howver if you are never caring about length at CB, or broad jump at OL, or 10 yard split at DE you are missing on talent. Coaches get paid to coach and develope. If I was a coach I’d want to guy who can do what I need physically, but needs technique work.

Another point, which is hard for is fans to gauge, is that the Seahawks love players who have had adversity in their lives. If you are pampered and always have everything handed to you, you have always been the best on your team, then you get to the NFL and have struggles how will you face that. Guys who have overcome adversity in their past are more likely to tackle those chanllenges.

I already addressed the Raiders point. I am not sure why you ignored it. Stability is key.

88. 88 Mac said at 5:03 PM on February 24th, 2017:

That’s why I was so utterly certain the Eagles would draft Byron Jones in 2015.

But hey, we got Nelson Agholor…

89. 89 kajomo said at 9:04 PM on February 24th, 2017:

I was so pissed when they passed on Jones. Even more so when he went to Dallas. He is the perfect example of a guy that was considered a mid round pick until people realized how athletic he was. Now he’s one of the best young safeties in football.

Some guys I could see really rising after the combine/pro days.

Kevin King – CB
    Justin Evans – S
    Taco Charlton – DE
    Shelton Gibson – WR
    Garrett Bolles – OT
    Joe Mathis – DE/OLB
    Tyus Bowser – OLB

90. 90 Insomniac said at 9:08 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Good thing they made him a safety instead of CB.

91. 91 kajomo said at 1:40 PM on February 25th, 2017:

I do want to clarify one point since some people posters are being close minded morons about this.

Maybe “elite athletes” was a poor choice of words. The Seahawks do not look for only the freakiest athletes. Maybe “elite athletic traits” better defines what I mean.

They decide what the 1-2 most important traits that they look for in a give position. They then find players with those elite traits regardless (to a certain extent) of their other flaws.

It appears some people questioning this logic havent bothered to read the article. Here is a clear example of how they draft:

“Cornerback

Key drills: three-cone, vertical jump

Ideal: +6-1, 195lbs, +32 inch arms, 4.50 forty, +35 inch vertical

The Seahawks have drafted six cornerbacks in the Pete Carroll era. All six have +32 inch arms. So why is length so important?

100% of multiple first team All-Pro cornerbacks drafted since 1998 have +32 inch arms. Most of the top cornerbacks in the league currently pass the length test:

Chris Harris – 33 1/2 inch arms

Aqib Talib — 32 1/8 inch arms

Patrick Peterson — 32 inches

Josh Norman — 32 3/4 inches

Xavier Rhodes — 33 3/4 inches

Richard Sherman — 32 inches

The one exception is Marcus Peters (31.5 inch arms). I’m not sure half an inch constitutes a rethink.

You can pretty much run through the list of CB measurements at the combine and cross off any player with sub-32 inch arms. For a truly dynamic slot cornerback the Seahawks might be willing to make an exception — but 31.5 inches might be the cut-off and they better be an exceptional athlete (the name to watch here could be USC’s Adoree’ Jackson).”

that seems like pretty sound logic to me. For a team that has struggled to draft and develope CBs since Lito and Sheldon, maybe we need to rethink how we approach this position in the draft.

92. 92 SallyForth said at 3:18 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Perhaps instead of “big” money going to Jefferys (or Bouye) perhaps a more modest amount used to go after BOTH Kenny Stills and Logan Ryan … ?

93. 93 GermanEagle said at 3:45 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Please no Stills. What the Eagles don’t need is another WR suffering from the dropsies.

94. 94 laeagle said at 12:11 AM on February 25th, 2017:

That notion (that he tends to drop) has been pretty well shot down by a lot of the local writers. I’m not a huge fan of him on a big contract, but it’s not because of his drops.

95. 95 Sb2bowl said at 3:33 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Internet is working again at the office. I hope this happens for us in April.
    No trades

233: R7P12
    G KAREEM ARE
    FLORIDA STATE

96. 96 GermanEagle said at 4:44 PM on February 24th, 2017:

We will pick at #139 in the fourth round. Do your home work! 😉

97. 97 Sb2bowl said at 4:46 PM on February 24th, 2017:

You Germans are the wurst– look at the time stamp!! Lol

98. 98 Mac said at 4:55 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Misspelling? “No tirade”

99. 99 Sb2bowl said at 5:22 PM on February 24th, 2017:

Nah, he’s German. So he probably likes sausage. Hence, wurst.

100. 100 GermanEagle said at 5:47 PM on February 24th, 2017:

And you probably don’t know how to spell sarcasm. Wurst is right though.

101. 101 Sb2bowl said at 10:01 PM on February 24th, 2017:

All good friend. Don’t mean anything by it. Just having some fun
    on a Friday. Sarcasm doesn’t translate well.

102. 102 daveH said at 6:40 PM on February 24th, 2017:

103. 103 Mac said at 11:04 AM on February 25th, 2017:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/46db8481630ffdcc0f2ed0507477caf34593e15f536b665d0a5a4c147c86efb7.jpg You only get one life. Make it count.

104. 104 Media Mike said at 7:01 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Godly

105. 105 GermanEagle said at 9:13 PM on February 24th, 2017:

So when will the Sixers package all of their 3 billion 1st and 2nd rounders to trade for Steph Curry?

106. 106 GermanEagle said at 9:53 PM on February 24th, 2017:

And in 13 days time Alshon Jeffereyzzzzzzz will be an Eagle.

107. 107 Would Eagles consider signing Alterraun Verner? – Philadelphia Eagles News said at 5:04 AM on February 25th, 2017:

[…] Tommy Lawlor of Iggles Blitz suggests the Eagles should consider signing Alterraun Verner in free agency come March 9. Verner was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Thursday, with one year left on a four-year $22.5 million deal he signed in 2014.  […]

108. 108 Would Eagles consider signing Alterraun Verner? – Philadelphia Eagles News said at 5:04 AM on February 25th, 2017:

109. 109 Media Mike said at 7:06 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Here is the CB market.

Are any of the guys on the market this year who will at the top of the market, lock pro bowl players?

110. 110 Media Mike said at 7:11 AM on February 25th, 2017:

I’m still of the mind that I want to be out of the big $ FA world unless a transcendent talent (i.e. Reggie White, Charles Woodson, TO) hits the market.

I’d prefer to draft top talent and then drop the huge money on extending my own superstars (like Cox) while filling in bad gaps with functional journeymen.

I can’t stomach another Nnamdi or Maxwell type risk at CB.

111. 111 ChoTime said at 12:16 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Everyone wants to draft top talent. Everyone wants to draft LeBron or Tom Brady. If only it were so easy.

112. 112 Media Mike said at 4:27 PM on February 25th, 2017:

But the difficulty of that path shouldn’t knock us off of it. I want to keep plugging via the draft as long as we have a franchise QB in Wentz rather than chasing FAs. I’m just generally not with the concept of trying to solve problems via top dollar FAs as long as we need upgrades everywhere except QB and S.

113. 113 Media Mike said at 7:33 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Under the proviso that trading down in the first, second, and third isn’t really happening (and not for what folks paid me) ……….

Round 1 Pick 19 (T.B.): Sidney Jones, CB, Washington (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 16 (IND): Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 18 (T.B.): Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson (B-)
    Round 3 Pick 13 (ARI): Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy (A)
    Round 3 Pick 15 (IND): Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama (A)
    Round 4 Pick 12: Taywan Taylor, WR, Western Kentucky (A)
    Round 4 Pick 13 (ARI): Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma (A)
    Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (B+)
    Round 5 Pick 11: Jeremy Sprinkle, TE, Arkansas (B-)
    Round 6 Pick 10: Carlos Henderson, WR, Louisiana Tech (B+)
    Round 7 Pick 12: Matt Milano, OLB, Boston College (B-)

I think I need first pick to fix some of the valuations of certain players, etc.

114. 114 laeagle said at 2:30 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Aren’t people talking about Henderson as a potential 2nd rounder? Otherwise, I don’t hate it, provided we do OK at WR in free agency.

115. 115 Media Mike said at 4:25 PM on February 25th, 2017:

I agree with you, hence my comment about first pick needing to fix their valuations of players.

And I’m generally thinking we can get economical WRs in here via FA, but attack CB early to get the talent upgrade there.

116. 116 scratcherk said at 8:30 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Mack hollins is all over the place in evaluations. I see him listed as the number five receiver in some places and late round prospect in others. What’s the truth?

117. 117 Media Mike said at 9:25 AM on February 25th, 2017:

I’d be down with him on day 3.

118. 118 D3FB said at 12:08 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Who the heck has him at number 5?

The NFL dot com write up is pretty much what I’ve heard from everybody who has watched him

Consensus seems to be he’s going to be a special teams stud from day 1, who will be a 4th/5th WR with good HWS ability, and maybe in a couple years could take a step forward on offfense. The downside is he’s old (24 in September) and was never a big part of the UNC offense. I don’t see anyway he goes before the fifth round.

119. 119 scratcherk said at 12:26 PM on February 25th, 2017:

PFF

Guess it was six months ago tho..

120. 120 D3FB said at 12:33 PM on February 25th, 2017:

I mean they had Zach Banner OT2

121. 121 Insomniac said at 6:40 PM on February 25th, 2017:

I get that PFF wants to expand but they have no credibility right now.

122. 122 Ryan Rambo said at 9:54 AM on February 25th, 2017:

Philadelphia Eagles receive one compensatory pick (via trade) in the 2017 NFL Draft

123. 123 Tdoteaglefan said at 1:34 PM on February 25th, 2017:

sweet…an extra 4th round pick..should be some great talent available there

124. 124 D3FB said at 1:37 PM on February 25th, 2017:

This is the Browns 4th that was part of the Wentz trade. We’ve known about this for 10 months.

125. 125 Tdoteaglefan said at 1:18 PM on February 25th, 2017:

PFF had a great article breaking down the best Corners in the league and who are the best defending each route

Best defending the Slant: Aj Bouye….honorable mention: Janoris Jenkins

Best defending the double move: Brent Grimes…honorable mention: Orlando Scandrick

Best defending the Go route: Dre Kirkpatrick…honorable mention..Patrick Peterson

Best defending in and out routes: Darius Slay…honorable mention..AJ Bouye

Best defending Post and Corner routes: Xavier Rhodes..honorable mention Richard Sherman

Best defending hitches and comebacks: Aquib Talib….honorable mention..Stephon Gilmore

Best Defending Crossing routes: Marcus peters…honorable mention..Chris Harris Jr.

126. 126 Nick C said at 2:33 PM on February 25th, 2017:

I personally thought there was zero chance the Texans did not franchise him. I would be very happy if we signed him despite all the one-year wonder crap.

127. 127 GermanEagle said at 3:05 PM on February 25th, 2017:

And Marcus Peters may be the best of all of them.

I wanted him so bad…

128. 128 A Roy said at 4:59 PM on February 25th, 2017:

No Eagles on that list, huh?

129. 129 BobSmith77 said at 7:46 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Best at getting beat by a WR running right by him – Jalen Mills

He had at least 4 plays I remember where the WR ran in a straight line and simply ran right by him. It was like watching real life early Madden when you had hapless computer DBs on fast WRs.

130. 130 Tdoteaglefan said at 11:56 AM on February 26th, 2017:

Yeah he was my favorite corner in that draft…but i was satisfied with waiting and drafting rowe or byron jones at the time

131. 131 Tdoteaglefan said at 11:55 AM on February 26th, 2017:

Seems like you were as shocked as i was!

132. 132 Dave said at 6:30 PM on February 25th, 2017:

I saw that list. I was disappointed they did not have the Best Finger Wagging after a Wide Open Receiver Drops a Pass award. Mills would have been a lock.

133. 133 sonofdman said at 2:05 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Is there any chance that the Eagles end up with TE Jake Butt in the draft?

I don’t follow college football very much, but wasn’t he thought of pretty highly, but then blew out his ACL in a bowl game this year? Where is he predicted to go in the draft? Any thoughts or opinions of whether people would be happy if the Eagles got him?

The main reason I ask is that I would lover to get my 8 year old son a “Butt” jersey. He would probably think that is the funniest thing in the world.

134. 134 D3FB said at 3:22 PM on February 25th, 2017:

He went from probable first rounder to back end of the third.

Pretty much any other year he would have been the best TE on the board but this is a very good and deep class.

The Eagles need too much help at other positions and need it in the near term to gamble with Butt.

135. 135 sonofdman said at 3:29 PM on February 25th, 2017:

Thanks. That’s what I figured. Still to early for the Eagles to use a pick on him. My son would have loved that “Butt” jersey though, even though my in-laws are all big Ohio State fans so they probably wouldn’t like it as much.