A DT of Interest

Posted: March 25th, 2017 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 50 Comments »

Jim Schwartz loves pass rushers. Glasgow isn’t going to wow you in that area. He had 4 sacks last year, but he’ll never be mistaken for Aaron Donald. Glasgow is more of a NT, which is what the Eagles need to put beside Fletcher Cox.

Glasgow could go as early as the 3rd round or as late as the 5th.

Last year the Eagles really liked a DL named Adam Gotsis. This was a very under the radar thing, but they were high on him. He was projected to be a 4th round pick, but ended up going at the bottom of the 2nd. Gotsis was 6-4, 287 and is now playing DE for the Broncos.

I mention this because it is hard for us to know exactly what Schwartz is looking for at DT. It will be interesting to see who the Eagles do end up taking.

Another point here is that Michigan has 3 big time DL.

DE Taco Charlton
DL Chris Wormley
DT Ryan Glasgow

If the team sends a DL coach to Ann Arbor to meet with/work out Glasgow, you wonder if the other guys will be involved as well. Charlton is 6-6, 277 and that is the kind of size that Schwartz loves in an edge rusher. He isn’t worth pick 14, but will likely be gone by pick 43. If the Eagles really like him they could trade back in the 1st or up in the 2nd. I have no idea how they feel about his play. He just fits well from a measurables perspective.

Wormley is a real interesting guy. He is 6-5, 297 and played mostly DE. He did move inside in some situations and has told teams he can play any of the DL positions in any scheme. Wormley isn’t explosive, but he is a very good athlete. I could see Wormley being a player that Schwartz has interest in. He could play both DT and DE for the Eagles.

Compare that to Fletcher Cox

6040, 298
34 1/2 inch arms
40 – 4.79
10 yard split – 1.66
Bench – 30 reps
VJ – 26 inches
BJ – 8’7″
SS – 4.53
3-cone – 7.07

Wow. That’s pretty darn impressive.

That has to be a guy Jim Schwartz likes.

Right?

50 Comments on “A DT of Interest”

1. 1 Jamie Parker said at 9:10 PM on March 25th, 2017:

As a big Michigan fan, I would love either one of these guys.
    I don’t want any of their WR’s though. Not a big Peppers fan either, but his absence was definitely felt in the FSU game.

2. 2 aron said at 9:42 PM on March 25th, 2017:

michigan is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated, remember when ASU beat them,

3. 3 Jamie Parker said at 9:48 PM on March 25th, 2017:

lol That was 10 years and 4 coaches ago.

4. 4 Jamie Parker said at 9:50 PM on March 25th, 2017:

Interestingly enough, I’m a Delaware alumn, and that season ended with ASU beating UD in the 1-AA championship game. So that season started with a big loss to ASU and ended with a big loss to ASU.

5. 5 GordonGekko said at 2:26 PM on March 26th, 2017:

You are a dumb fucker

6. 6 增达网QQ-25739257 said at 10:25 PM on March 25th, 2017:

感觉不错哦,认真拜读咯!

7. 7 A_T_G said at 10:59 PM on March 25th, 2017:

I know a lot of people are looking to draft Corn Elder, but I think he is more likely to end up with a midwestern team like KC. Out there, Corn covers everything.

8. 8 TommyLawlor said at 11:03 PM on March 25th, 2017:

If only Iowa had an NFL team…

9. 9 GordonGekko said at 2:27 PM on March 26th, 2017:

You are a dumb fucking asshole cocksucking nigger lover. You offer nothing. Your site blows and you are a fucking moron. Drink more shitty Pabst to the point that it kills you,

10. 10 Dave said at 9:07 AM on March 26th, 2017:

I was disappointed to find out that Cornelius is his real name.

Too bad Roy Kolb didn’t name his son Cornelius instead of Kevin. Now that would have been an all-time classic.

11. 11 Crus57 said at 5:34 PM on March 26th, 2017:

I mean, if Kolb were still playing and Elder got to him on a corner blitz.. Corn on the Kolb?

12. 12 nickross23 said at 11:15 PM on March 25th, 2017:

I know that this is a thread about the DT position but since it focuses on some Michigan prospects I wanted to post this thought I recently had. I know Peppers was mentioned earlier, but if the Eagles are truly going to take the BPA approach and Peppers is ranked high on their board I wouldn’t be made about selecting him at 14. Most people are sceptical about his true position or lack thereof in the league going forward. Count me as a person who doesn’t care if he doesn’t have a true position l. People want impact players I believe peppers can give the Eagles great impact. Use him in both return games, have him in nickel and dime packages where he can cover a Zeke Elliott out of the backfield or a Jordan Reed on 3rd down. Have a plan for him as a space player who can blitz off the edge, while providing valuable depth at the Safety position in case Jenkins or McCloud gets hurt. College coaches don’t have the time per NCAA rules to properly teach and coach up these special athletes who are rough around the edges with an undefined position. With the right coaching and planning I believe that peppers would be more of an impact player than luxury pick worthy of the price tag at 14.

13. 13 scratcherk said at 1:29 AM on March 26th, 2017:

I think he could be had in the second and maybe possibly third

14. 14 PacificPurl said at 4:20 AM on March 26th, 2017:

Mayock likes him. Maybe better than 2nd or 3rd. So it’s possible other might rate him higher than 3rd anyway.

15. 15 scratcherk said at 7:47 AM on March 26th, 2017:

I think you’re right. Wouldn’t be against it but he seems like a luxury we can’t afford. I totally see him as a patriot tho…

16. 16 D3FB said at 8:48 AM on March 26th, 2017:

Please god no.

1 interception. 3 sacks. 18 TFLs in his college career.

People seem to have the impression he’s Deone meets Jenkins meets Honey Badger.

In reality he’s probably a SS (and he’s not in the same hemisphere as Jamal Adams) without takeaway production, who can play the overhang/slot in 3 S sets. He’s gonna get mashed in the run game if you play him in the box as a moneybacker.

Jim Schwartz doesn’t blitz. If you’re taking him at 14 it’s because you’re palnning on playing him as a full time overhang defender and running a base 4-2-5 (which would mean a healthy does of blitzing).

Sure he can hang with most TE’s (he’s also 5’11 so this notion that he’s any more adept at covering them than a slot CB is befuddling to me) and RBs but the top slots are gonna cook him in coverage. There’s a reason Michigan moved him off CB.

The idea that he’s this unique guy who can give you a mismatch on 15 third downs a year and can be a return guy too is how guys get way overdrafted.

The reality is that if Peppers wasn’t a top recruit playing at a big school that let him play wildcat QB and got all this hype as a Heisman finalist, he wouldn’t be a top 100 guy.

He’s Antonio Allen.

17. 17 Insomniac said at 10:50 AM on March 26th, 2017:

Peppers isn’t really an special athlete at the next level. Zeke and Reed are going to destroy him 1v1. Yes most people are skeptical because his skills and size don’t translate very well at the next level. I never understood the Peppers hype. If you want someone like Peppers just take Reuben Foster.

18. 18 Tdoteaglefan said at 11:40 AM on March 26th, 2017:

Agreed, i love the kid and am rooting for him wherever he goes as long as it isnt the cowgirls..but i dont see him being a fit for us..if we wanna go that route with 3 safeties take melifonu or josh harvey clemons later on in the draft, guys with better size that can handle the power running games of the cowboys and what the skins are trying to do.

I would personally do backflips if we manage to get rueben foster in the 1st

19. 19 Gian GEAGLE said at 1:47 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Thinking Jabrill Peppers is destined to become a cowboy

20. 20 xmbk said at 7:30 AM on March 26th, 2017:

Keep that lean 303# build – only in the modern NFL. 😉

21. 21 D3FB said at 9:02 AM on March 26th, 2017:

Glasgow would be #WrongBrotherTheory. He’s a solid Day 3 NT but still the wrong brother.

Wormley is interesting. I didn’t see how he could possibly be a fit initially because he’s not really a true EDGE or Wide 9 DE. He’s probably best suited to be a 5tech (or 7tech). Reminds me a bit of Chris Jones from last year.

But he’s got strong hands. good technique and awareness, and offers far more pass rush than most of the run stuffing 1techs available. He’s a bit taller than you would prefer but I think he could probably do it. Plus you have Beau to lessen the load in year 1.

If the Eagles really want another interior guy who can wreak havoc when Cox drafts double teams I think they think long and hard about targeting Caleb Brantley or Wormley at 43.

22. 22 RC5000 said at 10:18 AM on March 26th, 2017:

TL mock is up at Eagles website.

23. 23 Insomniac said at 10:51 AM on March 26th, 2017:

Not a fan of it to be honest.

24. 24 Tdoteaglefan said at 11:27 AM on March 26th, 2017:

I dont hate it…just a little underwhelmed…mainly with Ross at 14, if we’re going with receiver at 14 i’d only like corey Davis (if available)
    Would much rather a defensive front 7 player there..
    I DO like jordan willis, kareem hunt, Rasul Douglas and the fact he targeted a DT, a pass rusher, a RB in the mid rounds and 2 corners..

25. 25 RC5000 said at 11:49 AM on March 26th, 2017:

It may not be a strong defensive front 7 draft at 14. He may have thought Davis and the top defensive front 7 players will be gone.

26. 26 Gian GEAGLE said at 1:46 PM on March 26th, 2017:

im not sure I love the idea of taking Ross at #14, but one could argue that he is different Stylistically speaking from the WR talent we already have in place, where as a lot of what MIKE and Corey bring to the table are redundant to what we already have in place, unless we view Alshon, Jordan Matgews and Torrey as 1yr band aids which I do not.
    We have a ton of size in our WR room already, so I could at least see why the Eagles would want to add a Tiny Speed Deamon to our WR corp, but with Ross Injury history, I feel like we will be able to do better at #14
    Personally im hoping one of the top 6 or 7 defensive prospects end up falling to 14. Don’t care if it’s DT, DE, LB (Foster) or CB. defense Needs an infusion of gamechanging Talent, the position ISNT that important at this phase of roster building

27. 27 meteorologist said at 2:27 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Would be great to have another stud to build around along with Cox (Graham might be a bit too old to “build around”). We are picking in a similar spot as when we traded up for Cox in 2012 too!

That said, I would love the John Ross pick!

28. 28 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:40 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Give me a kid who will become a multi time all pro and one of our best players in a few years and he can play whatever position you want as far as I’m concerned. If the kid proves worthy of the 14th pick I’ll be thrilled
    To play Devils advocate, how good does a tiny WR need to become to prove worthy of the 14th pick? For example would Ross becoming the Next Desean Jackson be worthy of the 14th pick?
    How many Wrs Ross size in the NFL would be worth a top 15 pick?
    Desean?
    tavon Austin?
    TY Hilton?
    brandin Cooks?
    Cole Beasly?
    Julian Edeleman?
    Generally speaking, I think there is no question that a 10 sack per year defensive end, or top DTs like Cox, Aaron Donald, Dontari Poe would easily provide more value than one of the top smaller WRs.
    but every draft is unique so if Ross is the highest rated player on their board then they should take him. Fortunately HOWIE worked his magic on the WR position in Free Agency so we won’t have to force a WR pick unless he happens to be the top rated player when its our turn to pick

29. 29 meteorologist said at 8:30 PM on March 26th, 2017:

“How many Wrs Ross size in the NFL would be worth a top 15 pick”

Antonio Brown 5-10 181 of course. But I agree with everything you said. Can’t wait for the draft

30. 30 Insomniac said at 3:40 PM on March 26th, 2017:

I think Ross is a reach at 14. I don’t care if he runs 4.22s when he has bum knees, shaky hands, and an additional shoulder injury.

I haven’t watched anything on Willis yet so I have no comments on that. I like Hunt too. Douglas in the 5th would be great but Sutton in the 3rd bothers me a bit. Sutton has the cover skills but he has t-rex arms. I think he’s more likely to be a good slot CB than a good outside CB.

31. 31 ACViking said at 11:36 AM on March 26th, 2017:

Maybe T-Law’s choices reflect the content of those conversations he heard among Eagles management at the Senior Bowl, to which he alluded — but would not detail — early last month.

32. 32 Ankerstjernen said at 1:34 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Maybe he, as a sort of an insider, is trying to lay out a little smoke for the other teams? I cant say if Tommy would truly reveal any insight information he might have before the draft, but I dont imagine so. One thing we havent discussed much yet is the chance that teams behind us will try and trade up in front of 14 in order to land guys like Foster and Barnett that would be obvious selections of the eagles and also represent the last of the top tier players at their respective positions. I could see a team like tennesee trying to jump us for a defensive talent.

33. 33 ACViking said at 4:25 PM on March 26th, 2017:

I don’t think Tommy’s being paid enough to purposefully miss big.

34. 34 Gian GEAGLE said at 1:36 PM on March 26th, 2017:

I assume both DT and DE will be addressed in the draft with at least one being taken with a top 100 pick assuming there is a worthy prospect available when it’s time to make our pick. We have some really nice pieces in place to build an Elite front 7, but we need to add some more talent at LB, DT, and DE in order to get our front 7 where we need it to be to become legit Contenders, especially in a division where we will have to battle the Dallas OL twice a year
    Of course we would all like to see us add talent at RB, CB and WR, but if you aren’t strong on both sides of the trenches it’s unlikely that a great WR, RB, or CB can mask getting our asses kicked at The line of scrimmage
    When you lose an important piece of the front 7 like Bennie Logan, you better add some talent at that DT position instead of expecting that we can replace all of his production with in house talent
    When your DT (Cox) was your sack leader last season, you better add some edge rush talent at DE
    Hopefully Schwartz staff does a good job developing in house Talent like beau Allen, Destiny, MS2, Means, McCalister but we absolutely need to add more talent to our DL

35. 35 Nick C said at 1:50 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Couldn’t agree more. Although to play devil’s advocate: you mentioned we have to face Dallas OL twice a year. But we also have to face the Giants WRs twice a year. So planning to face particular teams can skew draft needs. Pick the best player. I don’t care if he is offensive or defensive.

36. 36 Gian GEAGLE said at 1:56 PM on March 26th, 2017:

I hear you. But a dominant Eagle front 7 whooping the Giants OL ass helps against the Elite Giant WRs.
    All those NY Giant weapons DONT mean much if they can’t protect Eli,.. Just look at how Eagles have beaten recent Giant teams the last couple years even tho they had the Great ODB facing average Eagle corners like Nolan Carroll. We haven’t had elite NFL Corners in a while yet we have had games where we Embarressed the ODB led Giants…
    I think ODB is easily the best WR in the NFC East, yet I feared the Cowboys/Skins passing game more than I feared the Giants the last few years simply because I respect the Skins/Cowboys OL significantly more than the Giants OL..now if the Giants OL starts dominating the Line of scrimmage, their WR’s can feast on most NFC East corners

37. 37 unhinged said at 4:11 PM on March 26th, 2017:

You think ODB is better than Bryant? If those two guys are fighting for a corner-route, I’ll take Dez.

38. 38 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:16 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Very different players. Like Alshon Jeffries, DEZ Bryant is a Jump ball WR. Sure I’d rather have him fighting with a corner to see who comes down with the ball, but when factoring the entire route tree into the equation, ODB is much more dangerous IMO. Dez is nothing special as a route runner, he wins with size and physicality. if DEZ were a good route runner he would be Terrell Owens.

39. 39 Sb2bowl said at 2:03 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Think about this- during our last meeting with the Giants, Eli threw the ball 63 times. While we didn’t get a lot of sacks, we pressured him off of his spot numerous times. That’s enough to get a QB off of rhythm and it helped us to win the game.

In this D, even mediocre CB’s are alright with a strong front four and a pair of safeties to clean up when WR’s get open. We have the safeties, now we need the horses up front to make this thing go.

40. 40 ChoTime said at 4:38 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Here’s some relevant EAGLES 1st round draft picks:
    McDougle #15, Bunkley #14, Graham #13, Cox #12, Smith #26.

Some say that even 1st round draft picks only turn out about 50% starters.

41. 41 daveH said at 5:00 PM on March 26th, 2017:

“When you lose an important piece of the front 7 like Bennie Logan..”
    I wonder about this a lot. Why did they let Benny go? Why create a hole when you’ve got a peg In-Place & a square peg in a square hole specifically. Is it because that it came to $2 too much? Or because they feel they can grab anyone 2nd 3rd 4th round to replace him…m

42. 42 daveH said at 5:30 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Ive never understood why coaches ho from strength to weakness just to save a million buvks … Benny was a strength. But now we NEEd to replace him .. why to save $2M ?? Andy used to do this all the time .. its seems senseless to me .. thsts why im asking. ..

43. 43 GENETiC-FREAK said at 5:48 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Bennie chose the money. Eagles were reported to offer him 8-10mil i think it was. His choice.

44. 44 daveH said at 9:44 AM on March 27th, 2017:

Ok cool, didnt know that thanks.

45. 45 Gian GEAGLE said at 2:32 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Thinking the 14th pick will likely be a simple decision for the Eagles, Most people talk about the draft in terms of acting like each team will get to draft a prospect with a 1st round grade whch is almost always false. In reality most drafts have around 20 kids with legit first round grades. So at #14, usually a team is picking from the remaining 3-7 first round prospects left on the big board while some teams are forced to spend their first round pick on kids with second round grades similar to what teams will get picking at the beginning of round 2
    The Eagles are fortunate to be in position where we get to add a legit first round prospect which is Huge for us because we desperately need to add elite gamechanging talent to our roster more than we need to address any individual position. When I look at our depth chart, the ONLY positions I can see the Eagles removing from their big board all together at #14 are QB and Safety, so hopefully we see Trubisky, Watson, Adams and Hooker all drafted in the top 13 which would mean the Eagles being in position to add one of their top 9 players at #14. The biggest decision they could possibly have to make at #14 is choosing between two or three kids with the same grade. in that scenario ONLY can positional value and positional need come into play as a tie breaker. there is a decent chance that when its time to make the #14th pick, we look at the big board and see a kid we viewed as one of the 8 best prospects still available in a tier by himself making it an easy No BRAINER decision. it’s not uncommon to see top prospects like Leonard Williams fall to #6, a beast like cox fall to #12, Star Lotululie falling to #14.
    #14 needs to be used on the most special Talent we can get our hands on regardless of position/need especially since realistically there will probably only be a couple first round talents still available when its time to make that pick. But when you get to round 2-4, typically when its time to pick we will be selecting from a handful of kids with the same grade and that is an opportunity for us to address certain positions of Need. Again, Need or positional value can ONLY be factored in as tie breakers.
    Fingers crossed Trubisky, Watson, Adams and Hooker all come off the board before we pick

46. 46 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:07 PM on March 26th, 2017:

In Recent History there has been some nice talent to be had in the 11-14 range, specifically game changing DL talent which is promising for a team like the Eagles that has to replace Logan and Barwin.
    2010
    14. Devante Parker WR
    2016
    11. Vernon Hargraeves CB
    12. Sheldon Rankins DT
    13. Laremy Tunsil OT
    14. karl Joseph S
    Out of those 28 Prospects, Almost Half (12) were defensive lineman (mostly DT’s).
    Since the 2000 draft, 2008 was the ONLY draft where a defensive lineman Wasnt drafted in the 11-14 range
    If you look at the DL taken in that range during the last 6 drafts, for the most part teams got their money’s worth coming away with some really nice playërs, you don’t see many Blatant draft busts out of those 12 Defensive lineman. obviously the jury is still out on Sheldon Rankins and Danny Shelton, and a few kids struggling with Character like Sheldon Richardson but for the most part teams have gotten some really high level defensive lineman from the 11-14 range of the last 6 drafts. Just as important you don’t really see many blatant draft busts out of these DL picks.
    Fletcher Cox
    JJ Watt
    aaron Donald
    Mighty Robert Quinn
    Brandon Graham
    Dontari Poe
    Star Lotululie
    The worst of those 12 DL aren’t even complete busts, you got kids who contribute even if they didnt become elite starters like Nick Fairley or Brockers. If Richardsons problems are behind him, the Jets have a heckuva player on their hands,
    Seems like DL is one of the most drafted positions in that Range and teams have gotten some real nice talent out of it with a very low bust rate which isn’t too shabby for an Eagle team that need to replenish It’s DL with another stud DT to pair with Cox, and we desperately need to find a DE we can count on to produce Double Digit sacks.

47. 47 Sb2bowl said at 4:11 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Good work and great info

48. 48 A_T_G said at 4:33 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Nice research.

49. 49 GENETiC-FREAK said at 5:09 PM on March 26th, 2017:

Damn didnt remember Ryan being selected so high.

50. 50 Eagles News: Philadelphia interested in Ryan Glasgow – Philadelphia Eagles News said at 10:36 PM on March 27th, 2017:

[…] A DT of Interest – Iggles BlitzBennie Logan is gone and the Eagles haven’t made a move to replace him. That tells you they are probably focusing on the draft to add a DT. The Eagles haven’t had a lot of visits or workouts with DTs so far, but they have one coming up. Ryan Glasgow makes a lot of sense for the Eagles. He has a good frame at 6-3, 302. He can bulk up if he wants or keep that lean build to help him stay quick off the ball. Glasgow is willing to do the dirty work. He is a good run defender. Glasgow uses his hands really well and knows how to shed blocks. He is a better athlete than you think. Glasgow isn’t going to wow you, but I thought he showed really good agility at the Combine. He hustles. You will see him chasing the ball out wide or downfield. […]