Busy Day

Posted: April 21st, 2017 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 243 Comments »

The draft is a week away, but the big focus today was the unveiling of the 2017 schedule.

I’m not a big one for schedule analysis. So much can change between now and when the games are actually played that trying to figure out what looks easy and what looks hard is often a futile exercise.

The first 2 weeks on the road isn’t a great way to start, but there is a nice stretch of home games in the middle of the season. The Eagles could build some momentum if they can take advantage of those games.

There are multiple trips to the West Coast. That’s not awesome. Not sure how I feel about the Eagles playing on Christmas. It is a night game so that might be a good way to end the day.

That’s probably the best news of all. Last year the Eagles seemed to constantly be facing a team that was well-rested and ready to go.

Joe Douglas and Howie Roseman met the media to answer some questions on the draft.

Jeff McLane’s take.

Les Bowen’s take.

Jimmy Bama’s take.

Nothing too crazy, but it is always good to find out what Howie and Joe said. I thought this might have been one of the best points.

People assume that experts, draft analysts and sportswriters all have a strong feel for what’s really going on. That just isn’t the case. A lot of information gets out, but not everything. Just because Conley wasn’t getting a lot of publicity didn’t mean that teams didn’t love him.

A horrible postseason continues for Foster. He got kicked out of the Combine for berating a hospital worker. He then didn’t handle the fallout from that situation very well. Foster still has some issues with his shoulders. His interviews with teams have reportedly not been ideal. Now he fails a drug test.

He is not worth pick 14.

Good player, but not as good as the hype. Foster might be a terrific NFL player, but he isn’t showing the league that he can handle his business right now. I think he will slide. Does that mean to the late 1st? Does that mean the 2nd round? Further?

We can only speculate. I would guess some team would use a 2nd round pick on him. Heck, someone in the late 1st could take a shot. There is no question that Foster is talented. I just don’t think he’s as good as Luke Kuechly or Patrick Willis. And now he’s bringing plenty of baggage with him.

It will be interesting to see how far he falls.

243 Comments on “Busy Day”

1. 1 laeagle said at 1:08 AM on April 21st, 2017:

You guys can complain about the West Coast trips all you want. I’ve got two opportunities to see the Eagles this year that I wouldn’t have otherwise (3 if I were rich).

2. 2 Jamie Parker said at 2:18 AM on April 21st, 2017:

If I were rich I’d see them 16 times a year. 🙂

3. 3 Sean Stott said at 3:32 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I’ll also be trying to go to at least one of them. Wondering which (Chargers/Rams) will be the better choice though.

4. 4 Media Mike said at 4:56 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I’m only going to complain about either LA game IF I can’t get game tickets for face value on the days single game tickets go on sale for Chargers / Rams.

5. 5 Sb2bowl said at 10:07 AM on April 21st, 2017:

At this point, I like the fact that we have a West Coast trip (Chargers) before the 3 week away fest at the end of the year. This will give the coaching staff an opportunity to see what works and what doesn’t during the week leading up to the game.

I don’t remember, but did we have a West Coast trip in 2016?

6. 6 Jamie Parker said at 6:45 PM on April 21st, 2017:

They played at Seattle on Nov 20th.

7. 7 EagleOne1983 said at 2:07 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I’d rather them fly to the west coast three times than face teams coming off extra rest 3 times. So I’m fine with this schedule.

8. 8 Media Mike said at 5:03 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Corn crop failed this year, but here goes

Round 1 Pick 14: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 11: Fabian Moreau, CB/FS, UCLA (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 35 (COMP): Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (A-)
    Round 4 Pick 12: George Kittle, TE, Iowa (A)
    Round 4 Pick 32 (COMP): Xavier Woods, SS, Louisiana Tech (B-)
    Round 5 Pick 11: Ryan Glasgow, DT, Michigan (A)
    Round 6 Pick 10: Matthew Dayes, RB, NC State (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 12: Nate Hairston, CB, Temple (B-)

9. 9 xmbk said at 9:08 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I’ll take an island over corn.

10. 10 Media Mike said at 8:20 PM on April 21st, 2017:

The shutdown Island of Doctor Fabian Moreau!

11. 11 Steve Smegal said at 9:23 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I really don’t get this. Kittle and Woods aren’t even superb value where you took them yet you take our 4th TE and 3rd/4th safety when we still need a starting running back and 2nd corner.

12. 12 Sb2bowl said at 10:06 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Value isn’t more important than team fit, and if the scouting department is correct in their projections- take them where you can. Why risk another 20 selections when you identify a player that you want?

It does work in harmony, but a selection of Kittle in Round 4 isn’t the same as taking J. Jarrett in Round 2 because of need.

13. 13 Steve Smegal said at 10:08 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I never said value was more important than fit but how is a blocking TE in the early 4th a fit?

14. 14 Sb2bowl said at 10:14 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I know you didn’t- but we don’t know where they rank him, or how they project him. Burton and Ertz are willing blockers, albeit not very skilled.

Kittle would come in and instantly add a dimension which will be lost when Celek is let go. The receiving side of his game can be developed as time progresses.

Again, this is a simulation. I can’t say whether it’s “good value” or not- we simply don’t know how the Eagles rank each individual player.

15. 15 RC5000 said at 10:33 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I just lost 30 seconds of my life.

16. 16 Sb2bowl said at 11:38 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Glad to help!

17. 17 xmbk said at 10:37 AM on April 21st, 2017:

There’s every reason to believe he will be a decent receiving threat in the NFL. Not used much in Iowa, but showed good hands. Athleticism numbers are great, faster/more explosive than Ertz. Already a good blocker. He’s a solid pickup in the 4th, esp given that a replacement is needed for Celek.

18. 18 Media Mike said at 8:20 PM on April 21st, 2017:

3rd safety is absolutely a need because of how often Jenkins goes to slot and that piece of trash Jaylin Watkins enters the game to give up TDs to trash on the other team.

Also 3 safeties > any possible reason to have loser Kendricks on the field / team.

Kittle is your TE2 in short order. Celek can still be cut as he’s a complete corpse of a football player and Burton is your perpetual TE3. Kittle is a better player than Burton.

19. 19 RC5000 said at 10:24 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Moreau had torn pec surgery. We need a CB who can compete. You may as well take someone good at another position who can play if all the CBs are gone.

20. 20 Media Mike said at 8:18 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Moreau will be back mid July. Mid-march surgery and out 4 to 6 months. I stop reading before “to” and assume I’m owed the low number. So assume he’s back for the start of camp and will have been running and doing drills long before that.

21. 21 scratcherk said at 8:11 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Anyone going to the game @ panthers? Debating whether or not to go…

22. 22 thedtrain12 said at 8:39 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Yea the wife and I are headed that way. We just moved to Raleigh so it’s a no brainer

23. 23 scratcherk said at 8:40 AM on April 21st, 2017:

debating b/c its a thursday…

24. 24 thedtrain12 said at 8:42 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Only chance to go. Got to burn that PTO day Friday!

25. 25 bushisamoron said at 9:24 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Live in Charleston. Love their stadium. I will be there

26. 26 Steve Smegal said at 8:27 AM on April 21st, 2017:

They really need to find someone else to do the Eagles selections in the draftek 7 round mock. Humphrey over Conley at 14 and then Jourdain Lewis at 43.

27. 27 xmbk said at 9:05 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Nothing wrong with that.

28. 28 Steve Smegal said at 9:20 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Lewis to me is a 3/4 round guy. I’m not interested in using a high-2nd on a slot only guy

29. 29 xmbk said at 10:26 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I like his attitude, Schwartz probably will as well. Remember, slot is on the field more than the 3rd LB.

30. 30 Steve Smegal said at 10:44 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Lol, are you the one who made these picks?

31. 31 xmbk said at 1:11 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Nah, I think mocks are kind of stupid. But I’ve seen much worse than that one. I will say this: everything I’ve seen from Douglas and Schwartz tells me that Conley better be balls to the wall better in coverage than the other CB available. But it’s also possible that I have a bad read on his physicality, and they have insights which lead them to believe he will be tougher than his college tape indicates.

32. 32 Steve Smegal said at 1:38 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you but if Conley isn’t significantly better in their view than the other non-Lattimore CBs, then I would hope the solution is to trade down if at all possible and if not to look elsewhere.

33. 33 meteorologist said at 1:41 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Conley IS significantly better than non-Lattimore CBs according to many evaluators

34. 34 meteorologist said at 1:42 PM on April 21st, 2017:

“Conley better be balls to the wall better in coverage than the other CB available.”

Conley is so much better than Humphrey in coverage, ball skills. He’s in an entirely higher tier as a player according to Nolan Nawrocki, and other respected evaluators. Joe Douglas and Howie are basically admitting that they have had him ranked that high for a while and the press is starting to catch up

35. 35 xmbk said at 1:47 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I would agree that his ball skills are in a higher tier. But are you really suggesting that Douglas and Roseman are being transparent? People seem to be forgetting that Humphrey is only 20. I worry about tracking as well, but there is no Jalen Ramsey this year. The NFL likes athletes with upside.

Less than a week.

36. 36 meteorologist said at 9:21 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Humphrey over Conley at 14 is disgusting

37. 37 xmbk said at 10:28 AM on April 21st, 2017:

It’s that time of year. Disgusting? Might want to mentally prepare for that, because Humphrey will likely be attractive to Schwartz. Nothing against Conley, he may turn out great.

38. 38 meteorologist said at 1:24 PM on April 21st, 2017:

“Humphrey will likely be attractive to Schwartz”
    Why?

39. 39 xmbk said at 1:55 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Physicality, aggressiveness, attitude. Maybe even bloodline. I’m not trying to oversell Humphrey. There are likely plenty of guys in play, and trades as well. Just seems like we fans overly focus on one guy, and Conley is the hot pick right now. Maybe a 1 in 7 chance of being the pick, roughly?

40. 40 meteorologist said at 4:48 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I could see Humphrey… in the 2nd round 😉

41. 41 GermanEagle said at 8:28 AM on April 21st, 2017:

1. Eagles 11-5
    2. Cowboys 10-6
    3. Redskins 7-9
    4. Giants 7-9

42. 42 A_T_G said at 8:38 AM on April 21st, 2017:

As long as those records reflect losing the ‘Boys week 17 because we are resting our starters for the playoffs I am on board.

43. 43 xmbk said at 9:04 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I’d be ok with a week 17 win that puts the Eagles in and knocks Dallas out.

44. 44 GermanEagle said at 11:23 AM on April 21st, 2017:

44-6

45. 45 ChoTime said at 10:18 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I know, Tony Romo gets injured for a few games and that lets us edge them in the standings. Or… wait, what?

46. 46 Rellihcs said at 12:47 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Will always be valid, relevant, and accurate. Don’t tell me otherwise.

And when Jerruh passes (and his cryogenic freezing attempts fail so he’s really truly dead), he’ll still be able to make dumb decisions for the team.

Don’t tell me otherwise.

47. 47 Ark87 said at 11:38 AM on April 21st, 2017:

is there a reason to think the Cowboys are going to get worse this year?
    I’d love to hear it, because thinking about that offense being locked in and being a few defensive pieces away….depresses me greatly.

48. 48 eagleyankfan said at 11:48 AM on April 21st, 2017:

TJ signed to help Cox negate run game. Eagles draft shut down corner to negate Dez. It’s not that Dallas got weaker, it’s the Eagles got stronger. Dallas loses 1 game to Eagles and losses to: Denver/Cards/Packers/Falcons/Seattle = 6 losses. There it is, plain and simple. Wait – that might be the alcohol talking…

49. 49 Ark87 said at 11:52 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Give me some of that

50. 50 FairOaks said at 12:17 PM on April 21st, 2017:

They did lose one of their OLmen (Leary). Granted, they probably have a good reserve ready to start. I think they lost a few players on defense (one replaced with Nolan Carroll). Maybe Dak gets “figured out” a bit this year, and there is no Romo safety blanket (well I guess he could come out of retirement).

It’s likely they are still better than the Eagles, but it does happen that teams with really good records don’t repeat — it has happened to the Cowboys themselves recently.

51. 51 Ark87 said at 3:47 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I agree. Just seems like a lot of hoping on our part.

52. 52 Rellihcs said at 12:46 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Yeah. Their OL health luck, avoiding Zeke lawsuit luck, and arrogance bubble bursts.

53. 53 EagleOne1983 said at 1:35 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Actually they were extremely lucky last year in close games. Those games usually end up a 50-50 split. They only lost one close game last year and won 8 or 9… that alone is reason to believe that they will have extra 3-5 losses this year. They reminded me of the Panthers team that went 15-1 where a lot of luck lead to a great season, followed by a season of normal luck.
    And yes… luck does come in to play for about 3 points a game. A weird carom on a tipped pass, a fumble bounce, a missed call, a trip, or even a weird breeze…

54. 54 Ark87 said at 3:28 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I went back and checked the game log win-expectancy trackers, because it seemed like a bit of a stretch to say they had 8 or 9 lucky wins.

weeks where odds swapped sides in the 4th Quarter
    Week1 NYG L (Dallas Blew it)
    week 2 Wash W (Washington Blew it)
    week 8 PHI W (in OT, literal coin-toss)
    week 10 PIT W (Wild game)

after that:

Wash and Vikings got within a touchdown very very late, and needed onside kicks to actually win, not a coin-toss situation. NYG was close too but never went in Dallas’ favor in the 4th Q. Dallas was down by 3 against Tampa in field goal range in the 4th, was slightly in favor of Dallas because it was a Question of whether they would get 3 points or 7 with a very slim chance of a turn over. Tampa never reclaimed the odds, but I wouldn’t blame you for counting that. Then they rested in week 17 against us.

I could see reasonable taking 1 win off of them. 2 would be a stretch unless they rest their starters in week 17 again.

Don’t you ever make me defend those A-holes success again, I’m going to go take a shower.

55. 55 EagleOne1983 said at 5:01 PM on April 21st, 2017:

It’s just an over simplification, but usually games within 7 points are coin tosses. And look at all the games the Eagles lost by just a few points.
    And I was going from memory… They we 6-2 in games decided by a touchdown or less. So they will probably have 2-3 less wins this year from that…
    The difference between a win and a loss in the NFL is a knife edge. And to win that many close games again is improbable. Just as the Eagles were 1-6 and should get closer to 2-3 more wins from that.
    And I didn’t mean to say they were lucky wins. I meant to say that luck comes into play in the NFL. The best teams avoid it causing losses (NE). The worst teams let can’t get close enough to cause wins (Cle).

56. 56 Dragon_Eagle said at 7:25 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Didn’t they lose 2 of their starting OL? If I’m not mistaken about that, that was their strength. Not Dak, Dez, or Zeke. and if the OL is seriously worse off, they will fall right back to 8-8 mediocre.

57. 57 eagleyankfan said at 8:40 AM on April 21st, 2017:

April pre-draft = love and harmony. He’s great, I’m great. He’s a great evaluator – fresh new approach for the draft. SSDY. Wait – here’s something different – JD wants smart football guys. I’m sure all the other teams are going to read this article(and really, they all should read T-Laws articles) and use that same approach. Cat is out of the bag with this secret.
    ….
    Just when you want to puke with all this stuff — it is new and exciting. Hoping the HR and JD are a match made in heaven. All kidding aside I am interested to see how the Eagles attack this draft class. If we’re to take their excitement for it, they aren’t trading back. But that can be smoke screen.
    ….
    What really was revealing is the fact that JD is Bam Bam Bigalow.

58. 58 Steve Smegal said at 8:46 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I’m feeling more nervous about this draft than usual. Eagles really need to walk out of it with at least three long term starters (not necessarily stars just solid starters). We can’t afford to keep paying so many starters on their second or third deals. As of now, only Wentz and probably one of o-line starters will be on rookie deals. On defense, its just Jernigan, Hicks and whoever lines up at cornerback. That is just not sustainable as we’ve seen.

We really need to trade back in either the first or the second and I suspect we will given that I can’t see Howie sitting around between 43 and 99.

59. 59 Forthebirds said at 8:50 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Like the Thurs. night game followed by a Mon. night game, the week 10 bye, the 2 game at home finish. Don’t like the 2 away game start and the 3 away game stretch weeks 12-14. Looks like there will be at least 6 nationally televised games possibly 7-8. Five of these are night games.

60. 60 xmbk said at 9:02 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I’d rather follow Thur with a Sunday game. Either way you have extra prep/rest, but playing on Monday night immediately puts you behind again.

61. 61 John Galt said at 11:11 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Don’t like the 2 away game start for sure – and Arrowhead is a tough place to play. However, as we all know, Andy’s teams always start a little slow and finish strong so since we already knew we were going out there, having it early is our best shot. Would hate to be 0-2, but its a possibility.

62. 62 Dragon_Eagle said at 7:29 PM on April 21st, 2017:

And KC will be coming off a 10 day rest following the opener in New England. KC will most likely be hungry for a win and pissed after getting spanked. Defending champions rarely lose that emotional opener. And we know AR knows how to use the extra rest to his advantage. Better beat Washington in week 1.

63. 63 Rellihcs said at 9:38 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Random funny draft scenario came to mind:

Eagles go Corey Davis round 1, Mixon round 2. (Disregard ethics/morals/red flags for a moment). Let’s also say they add a project OT later int he draft. So now the offense is set with studs around Carson – maybe even both Alshon and Torrey work well long term too. Offense is juggernaut.

Meanwhile, Schwartz threatens to quit in furious claims of neglect. Fanbase split, but we still manage to get good production out of McAllister, Curry resurgence, and Long, Mills make a jump to become a solid CB, Robinson stays healthy, and Corn Elder becomes Boykin 2.0 but with more edginess.

64. 64 Dan in Philly said at 10:11 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Call me a Bama homer, but I think foster will make a lot of GMs regret having passed on him. He’s a special player at MLB and you spend your first round picks on special players.

65. 65 Rellihcs said at 10:13 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Bama homer.

66. 66 xmbk said at 10:30 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I’ve gone back and forth on his football smarts. Did he not call the D for Bama last year?

Easy to criticize this time of year, but the fact is he could be an instant fan favorite with his playstyle.

67. 67 RC5000 said at 10:54 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I would think Hicks would call the plays if they drafted Foster with Foster having difficulty learning X’s and O’s.

68. 68 xmbk said at 11:28 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Hicks would almost certainly make the calls. The question is whether Foster had trouble with x’s and o’s, or whether that’s a silly season rumor.

69. 69 Rellihcs said at 12:49 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Kiko see ball, Kiko go get ball.

70. 70 RC5000 said at 1:15 PM on April 21st, 2017:

He said it. It’s not a rumor.

71. 71 xmbk said at 1:18 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Thanks. Who said it?

72. 72 RC5000 said at 5:57 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Reuben Foster said it.

73. 73 xmbk said at 7:08 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Right. But did he make the calls at Bama? Can he see the field, or is it all athleticism?

74. 74 Rellihcs said at 11:11 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Someone would know this much better than I would (probably even folks below D3FB’s level) but, I don’t think MLBs are the “calling the D/QB of the D” role players in college nearly as much as they are in the NFL. I think the D coordinator in college or even head coach is much more didactic about it with a lot less cerebral responsibilities on the kids…

75. 75 xmbk said at 11:27 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Agreed. But I have heard varying reports as to whether he had that role with Bama.

76. 76 D3FB said at 9:54 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Calling the D in college: Vocalizing the hand signal. Determining play strength based on presnap alignment. It’s not that hard.

77. 77 Mitchell said at 1:11 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Nothing is that hard for your superior intellect though.

78. 78 D3FB said at 2:13 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Multi variable calculus is hard

79. 79 TexColoradoTheArizonaAssassin said at 1:09 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Ernie Sims…yuck…i forgot about him until i read your “shark in the water” comment.

80. 80 Rellihcs said at 1:12 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Ah yes. I didn’t forget about him but I forgot his name – and I’m happy I did so.

81. 81 xmbk said at 10:38 AM on April 21st, 2017:

Quite possible. Major boom/bust candidate at this point.

82. 82 Ark87 said at 10:45 AM on April 21st, 2017:

As someone who probably pays more attention to Bama than me, I got to ask you. What the hell are the doing to shoulders down there?

83. 83 BreakinAnklez said at 1:02 PM on April 21st, 2017:

They practice with the intensity of games. Lot of players banged up all hear from practice.

84. 84 Ark87 said at 1:26 PM on April 21st, 2017:

And to prevent the dreaded dead legs from over practicing, I assume they practice elusively while doing hand-stands. Those hand-stand wind sprints are a bitch

85. 85 DrGeniusPhD said at 9:38 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Yeah, he’s great, but he sounds like a head case. The Eagles don’t need those kind of problems.

86. 86 nopain23 said at 10:38 AM on April 21st, 2017:

With that press conference any doubt eagles take Conley if he is there?..Douglas laid thr ground work. Heck even Greg Cosel said he’d take Co.ley over Lattimore???…wait? what?…This juat cements the craziness that is draft evaluation. A simpleton like me cant see it. Conley went from good to great in a blink of an eye.

I guess we have to trust the experts…..looking at you Joe( please be right)…
    For the record I like Kevin King a little more than Conley. Tji k he plays bigger than his size.
    I

87. 87 RC5000 said at 10:46 AM on April 21st, 2017:

I really think he could be the pick if he’s there but I don’t really know why you’d tell everyone . Reverse psychology I guess.

88. 88 meteorologist said at 1:29 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Prolly because it is common knowledge already. Our need at CB is one of the biggest/ most obvious needs in the league and Conley is one of the best CBs

89. 89 RC5000 said at 5:56 PM on April 21st, 2017:

That’s no reason to tell everyone.

90. 90 A_T_G said at 10:58 AM on April 21st, 2017:

91. 91 xmbk said at 12:10 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Every time I watch a game cutup of Bama’s D, thinking I can see a bunch of different prospects, I end up watching 93. Allen is truly a beast.

92. 92 Rellihcs said at 12:54 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I want the Eagles to draft zero Bama players. Prospects Jimmy Bama likes – that’s different – but let the tide role past us this year.

93. 93 xmbk said at 1:03 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I really like hearing that the Eagles want to focus on getting the players that fit them, rather than “winning the draft”. I think there has been far too much talk of getting perfect value. If you draft at 14 and 43, you can’t say no to your favorite guy because he shouldn’t go until 25. Trade back if you can (and are sure), otherwise roll with the guy everyone in the room is sold on.

I do think that trading back at 43 will be much easier than at 14.

94. 94 Rellihcs said at 1:11 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Golf cla…..nah f it….CLAP

95. 95 RC5000 said at 2:12 PM on April 21st, 2017:

We’ve also missed players because we reached for our guy over the years.

96. 96 xmbk said at 2:28 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Absolutely. But if the whole room is on board and you reach, that’s a different issue. I feel good about the decision making team right now. We’ll see.

97. 97 A_T_G said at 1:13 PM on April 21st, 2017:

This a nice compact graphic to save:

98. 98 xmbk said at 2:27 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Very useful, thanks.

99. 99 A_T_G said at 1:32 PM on April 21st, 2017:

My sources inside the NovaCare got me some exclusive photos of Howie and Joe, so naturally I wanted to share them with all of you immediately. Don’t mention where you saw them.

Joe and Howie reading the reports about Foster:

Howie and Joe preparing for yesterday’s press conference:

Joe, Doug, Howie, and Jeffrey in a conference call talking trades:

100. 100 ColorSgt said at 8:14 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Third picture left to right: Joe, Doug, Howie, Jeff.

101. 101 xmbk said at 1:43 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I’ve been saying this in a few threads, but here’s McCaffery’s OC:

“Bloomgren calls some of the criticisms leveled against McCaffrey “ridiculous,”
    including whether McCaffrey can run between the tackles. “It’s like,
    ‘Have you ever seen us play?’ We run power.” Bloomgren believes that
    McCaffrey can do exactly what he did at Stanford in the NFL: be a
    three-down back, a capable pass protector, and a “day-one competitor for
    the kick return job.” Bloomgren, a former NFL assistant, says that when
    putting McCaffrey at receiver, he would start him out in the slot and
    work outside from there as his career progresses; he believes that the
    Heisman runner-up will fit in the modern NFL because “teams want to run
    21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end) and then split Christian
    out wide and run 3×1 trips (three receivers stacked on one side of the
    field).”

102. 102 meteorologist said at 1:46 PM on April 21st, 2017:

He’s 200 lbs…

103. 103 A_T_G said at 1:50 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Westbrook was 200, McCoy was 204.

104. 104 Dave said at 1:58 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Westbrook was 2″ shorter, thicker, and was definitely not an every-down back. LeSean McCoy was in a class all by himself as he rarely took a hard hit with all his jukes.

105. 105 A_T_G said at 2:05 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Smallwood was 208, Sproles was 187.

106. 106 Dave said at 2:07 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Sproles is thick. Smallwood is not an every-down RB.

107. 107 A_T_G said at 2:12 PM on April 21st, 2017:

And Ryan Mathews was 218 and always got hurt and Tony Hunt was 233 and a zero-down back. So 200 pound guys can’t survive, except for the guys that did and ignoring the heavier guys that didn’t?

108. 108 Dave said at 2:24 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I haven’t read one write-up, pre or post-draft, that said Smallwood will be an every-down type of running back. Almost every write-up on McCaffery states that he is not an every-down back mainly due to his lack of bulk. The thicker the RB, the better the ability to take a hit.

Ryan Mathews is a violent runner and those guys tend to get injured. Zeke may find himself in that situation in a year or two.

Tony Hunt was big and a horrible pro. So were a lot of other big backs.

LeSean never seemed to take a hard hit, but he seems to be more of the exception to the rule.

109. 109 xmbk said at 2:27 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Plenty of projections for McCaffery being a 3-down back. He’s not going high as a specialist.

110. 110 Dan said at 6:10 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Thats bullshit, almost every write-up I’ve read said he is and that he can be split out. Make your narrative anyway you want, but lets not ignore facts.

111. 111 Dave said at 6:36 PM on April 21st, 2017:

What facts are you referring to Dan? All you’ve done is post your opinion and call it a fact.

112. 112 RC5000 said at 2:46 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Look at Trent Richardson also . Brandon Jacobs peaked at 16 and 15 carries a game and basically had 4 years of 800-1100 yards rushing each year.

113. 113 RC5000 said at 2:37 PM on April 21st, 2017:

McCaffrey can get thicker.

114. 114 meteorologist said at 4:46 PM on April 21st, 2017:

You can point out the outliers all you want. Of the top 25 rushing leaders in 2016, by my count:

22 were 209 lbs+

3 were 208 lbs or less

Why that arbitrary cutoff point? I originally wanted 205 lbs as the cutoff, but feeling generous I wanted to include Lesean and Devontae Freeman at 208 and 206 lbs respectively

You want to work WITH the odds…

115. 115 A_T_G said at 10:47 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Outliers? Every good Eagles back since the guy coaching them played is cherry picking outliers?

116. 116 A_T_G said at 11:07 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Who were the successful big backs to play in Philly recently?

117. 117 RC5000 said at 1:57 PM on April 21st, 2017:

You just need him to run inside to keep defenses honest. That’s pretty much what Westy did.

118. 118 meteorologist said at 1:47 PM on April 21st, 2017:

He’s a great player at what he does but he’s not built for an NFL inside-the-tackles full workload

119. 119 xmbk said at 2:01 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I don’t think he’d get a workload. 12-15 rushes per game is ideal. Another 6-8 passing targets. Still leaves plenty for the wideouts. Personally, I think McCaffery is your short yardage back, too. Not because he can pound, but because of the mismatch (plus his nose for the endzone).

120. 120 Sb2bowl said at 2:30 PM on April 21st, 2017:

That’s the modern game now. Rarely do you see players average above 20 carries per game; Zeke was the only rusher to average more than 20 carries per game last year.

Most RB’s average 13-18 carries, plus a few receptions. Lots of touches in a variety of ways. McCaffery would be excellent in that role

121. 121 bill said at 2:37 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Do you think Doug, a Reid disciple, is going to use an “NFL inside-the-tackles” workload like the Seahawks or Panthers? I can remember all the nearly bald Eagles’ fans for the last 10 years of Reid’s tenure constantly calling for Reid to draft a “power back.”

Not that I want McCaffery at 14 (though I won’t complain, either), but I think he fits the offense quite well. He’ll be a 3 down QB in this scheme, mostly as a decoy, but that’s valuable, too.

122. 122 meteorologist said at 4:51 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Of the top 25 rushing leaders in 2016, by my count:

22 were 209 lbs+

3 were 208 lbs or less

You want to work WITH the odds…

123. 123 DrGeniusPhD said at 9:34 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Sure, he would fit great. But you don’t spend the 14th pick for a guy who you project to be a Sproles type weapon rather than a primary RB.

124. 124 Dave said at 1:55 PM on April 21st, 2017:

“teams want to run 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end)”

I would imagine this is only for teams that carry a fullback. I could be wrong, but most teams without a fullback rely on 11 and 12 personnel packages.

125. 125 xmbk said at 1:59 PM on April 21st, 2017:

21 with a guy who splits out is done with 2 RB. Defeats the purpose to leave a FB alone in the backfield. The idea is that you can take advantage of nickel or base, the D can never guess right. Even if you aren’t running tempo. 😉

126. 126 Dave said at 2:06 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Without a fullback, you have 2 RBs and neither of them is a lead blocker. I don’t think that’s an advantage when running against a nickel D. Furthermore, a RB in the slot against nickel defender is definitely a win for the defense on passing plays.

I see 21 personnel without a fullback only advantageous against base D.

127. 127 xmbk said at 2:25 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Sliding the back out is dependent on what the D shows, or to force the D to show something. Doesn’t matter what we think, that’s what teams do.

128. 128 Dave said at 8:34 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Westbrook gave some insight on moving the back to the outside as a receiver.

“When he was paired with Duce Staley and Correll Buckhalter in the backfield (they called it the “Pony” personnel), he explained, they got a favorable matchup just about every time Westbrook was motioned out. That’s because teams stayed in their base packages more, meaning Westbrook could be lined up across from a 240-pound linebacker who had no shot of keeping up. Now teams are in their sub-packages the bulk of the time, so there’s often an extra defensive back to account for a running back who shifts into receiver mode.

“That, to me, is major,” Westbrook said. “So now all the athletic ability that he has, and all the things he can do, is it null and void really because you’re getting a matchup with your great route-running back — which is good, that’s cool — but when you compare his route-running ability to a wide receiver, if you can just get another wide receiver on the field, why wouldn’t you just do that?””

129. 129 xmbk said at 9:22 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Good article, I’d love to see a counterpoint insight. With all due respect to Westbrook, teams still find this effective, for a variety of reasons. But you have to be able to run against the Nickel to really take advantage. The obvious answer to his question is that a RB gives you more/different options than a WR. I remember with Shady and Sproles, they would frequently send Shady out and run Sproles or throw to McCoy. It’s about mismatches and keeping the D off balance.

130. 130 Dave said at 10:02 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

“But you have to be able to run against the Nickel to really take advantage.”

That’s the real issue. Some teams employ an extra CB to play the slot while others play an extra safety (A la Malcolm Jenkins in the slot). I’d imagine its easier to run on an extra CB but the extra safety should offer better run support.

131. 131 D3FB said at 9:47 PM on April 21st, 2017:

You could play split back gun with McCaffery and Samaje Perine. But you do have to have pretty specific players to make it work.

132. 132 eagleyankfan said at 2:18 PM on April 21st, 2017:

it’s April and everybody has something to say. Like everything else — you have to take the kids OC comments with a grain of salt. He’s not going to come out a week before the draft and say “he’s too small and can’t handle between the tackles” and totally destroy the kids hopes of a round 1 choice…

133. 133 xmbk said at 2:21 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Absolutely. Though I don’t think McCaffery has to worry about being a first round pick.

134. 134 D3FB said at 9:44 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Unless he’s a dickhead like Brian Kelly

135. 135 Sean Stott said at 3:19 PM on April 21st, 2017:

McCaffrey isn’t making it out of the top 10, unfortunately.

136. 136 DrGeniusPhD said at 9:33 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I hope not!

137. 137 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:25 PM on April 21st, 2017:

It’s basically what we used to do splitting westbrook out wide While Buckhalter was lined up In the backfield making defenses respect the threat of running

138. 138 Dave said at 2:08 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Good stuff from Tony Pauline:

“Neither team feels Foster’s teammate, cornerback Marlon Humphrey, grades as one of the top 32 players in the draft. We reported earlier this week that more and more teams are comparing Humphrey to Dee Milliner as a straight-line cornerback.”

139. 139 RC5000 said at 2:17 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I didn’t realize Foster has concussion issues too. It’s not surprising.

140. 140 Dave said at 2:25 PM on April 21st, 2017:

The only thing missing from his injury history are knees and toes, knees and toes.

141. 141 xmbk said at 2:29 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Man, I would love to be able to pick up Humphrey at 43. We’ll see.

142. 142 Dave said at 2:37 PM on April 21st, 2017:

We had Humphrey for the last 3 years, he went by the name Nolan Carroll.

143. 143 xmbk said at 2:46 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I think that may be a gross oversimplification.

144. 144 Dave said at 3:37 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I agree, just feel snake-bitten by bad cornerbacks with no ball awareness.

145. 145 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:19 PM on April 21st, 2017:

is it weird that Im starting to miss josh Huff? We upgraded our WRs, but stylistocally we don’t have a replacement for what Huff was starting to bring to the table before we had to succumb to public bullshit and cut our 3rd round pick just so another team could pick him up a week later. And for what? The Slap on the wrist he got from the Justice department? If the courts DONT care enough to punish a guy, it shouldn’t be left up to the Eagles. if a player is good enough for one NFL team, then he should be fair game for every franchise Instead of Big Market teams feeling pressure to cut a guy just so some small market team can scoop him right up
    I assume McCaffrey could fill in beautifully for the yards after catch style WR Huff was starting to have some success in under Doug Pederson. But if we don’t draft McCaffrey Id like to get a josh huff style WR at some point later in the draft. With SPROLES retiring and Huff gone we gotta replace that type of weapon in our passing game, a role that our Big WRs ARENT capable of filling. We need that Josh Huff, TY Montgomery style weapon in the passing game that is somewhere between a WR and a RB. I have no idea the names of prospects that could fill that role in the later rounds, but if we do invest in a WR, I would want it to be a guy who can replace the role Huff was starting to fill for us.

146. 146 A Roy said at 3:21 PM on April 21st, 2017:

147. 147 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:23 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Cool

148. 148 ACViking said at 3:47 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I assume McCaffrey could fill in beautifully for the yards after catch style WR Huff was starting to have . . . under Doug Pederson [before being cut].

In 2016, in 7 games with the Eagles —

Huff had 13 rec for 72 yards . . . 5.5 YPC. (not a typo)

You wanna talk about kick returns? Ok.

But not receiving.

149. 149 ChoTime said at 4:07 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Exactly, AC, the numbas show he wasn’t any good. Just had a few flashy moments and also some awful mistakes.

150. 150 meteorologist said at 4:55 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Wonder how much of that was YAC. Huff was pretty clearly the best YAC threat we had at WR.

Only maybe DBG *shudder* was even close

151. 151 meteorologist said at 4:57 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Also, don’t thing he’s saying Huff was particularly good. Just that he had a certain style that we are lacking now

152. 152 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:03 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Stylistically the type of player Huff is IMO is much more valuable in Doug/Andys west coast offense, than Chips offense, obviously Huff was nothing special but he was starting to provide sparks for us and considering Nelson was a mess mentally all year, and DGB rarely did anything, at least Huff was beginning to show a pulse before he got in trouble and we fell victim to the silly charade that is cutting Players that the Justice department DOESNT even care to adequately punish just so some small market team could pick him up immediately. huff was a small Sacrafice, but it would have stung a lot more if we would have been consistent waiving Bradham after he got hurt.
    And even if Huff was providing NOTHNG more than Nelson and DGB on offense, he was still a nice consistent contributor to what has been one of the better special team units. Think Josh had a chance to grow into a nice complimentary weapon in Doug’s offense. I just think that combo WR/RB type of player can be very valuable while Pederson is here. If we don’t get a kid like McCaffrey who fills that role, and a few others, I’d hope we get that type of weapon later in the draft. I dont know who those prospects are but Torrey, Alshon, jordan, DGB and Nelson ARENT built that role. Smallwood can be a good pass catching runningback, but he can’t be that westbrook/McCaffrey type who takes it to the next level as a RB that can also run WR routes at a high level. Sproles is that guy but it’s his last year. Im sure every coach would find Something to do with that type of player but we saw how really valuable they could be in ANDYs offense.
    Probably can’t even quantify how big Brian Westbrook was for Donovan’s career.

153. 153 RC5000 said at 5:51 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Not that they’re like Huff but if you want speed or quickness:

Curtis Samuel (assume you know him), Carlos Henderson (better than Huff, big YAC), Ryan Switzer 5-8, 181 (was a RB in high school – quick guy and punt returner)….they’re mid round guys with Switzer probably more of a 5th-6th round pick.

How often do you find speed WRs in 6th/7th round? It’s not impossible but it’s difficult. They’re usually very raw.

Stanford’s Micheal Rector 6-0, 197 has speed and will probably be a 7th round pick/UDFA. Not saying he’s Ty Montgomery though.

Isaiah McKenzie 5-7, 173 is fast but really tiny.

Love RB T.J. Logan late but he’s closer to a Sproles type.

154. 154 Sean Stott said at 3:26 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I don’t think it’s worth the #14 pick, but man I really enjoy watching Reuben Foster.

155. 155 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:54 PM on April 21st, 2017:

For a team that has devalued linebackers for as long as I can remember, might want to take the LB position more serious than ever since we have to face Zeke and the Dallas OL for the next 5 years. The Ravens have valued LB enough to take CJ and Ray-Ray in round 1, hopefully Joe Douglas arrival will change the way we devalued LBers. In schwartz scheme where the DL is exploding up field every all game, you better have some powerful LB’s that can shed blockers and make a play. It doesn’t have to be Foster, but I’d like to see the Eagles build the best LB corp we have seen since Emmons, Trot and Shawn Barber.
    I adore Jordan Hicks and it’s exciting to hear him talk about how much stronger he is now that he is healthy and can build up his body in the offseason compared to this time last year where he couldn’t work on his strength because he was rehabbing a torn bicep. HIcks also said that Joe Walker is looking strong in the weight room and is moving well on the field. Walker is our X factor, can he replace Kendricks as the 3rd starting LB if mykal is traded next weekend, or would we have to draft a replacement? I like having Najee on ST and as a backup, but I think we have seen that he doesn’t belong in the starting lineup. I guess the Eagles also have to figure out what their plans are for Nigel Bradham, I wouldn’t mind seeing him signed to a 1 or 2yr extension but if the Eagles think this will be his last season in Philly, the they need to start looking for his eventual replacement now
    Think we are two corners, a linebacker and an impact edge rusher away from really being set on the defensive end. hopefully we do a better job than Cowboys of finding starting corners

156. 156 meteorologist said at 4:53 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Never even considered Joe Walker as a Kendricks replacement. Hope so..

157. 157 Sean Stott said at 4:36 PM on April 21st, 2017:

The opening line for PHI@WAS came out making PHI a -2.5 dog.

158. 158 meteorologist said at 4:52 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I forget is it an automatic 3 points for the home team or 2?

159. 159 Sean Stott said at 5:13 PM on April 21st, 2017:

the rule of thumb is 3, but that’s a generalization. No one would give PHI the same home field advantage as SEA or GB, for example. PHI has a historically poor HFA, not too sure about WAS’s.

160. 160 RobNE said at 9:09 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Take the points

161. 161 scratcherk said at 5:26 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Had my wisdom teeth out. Immediately regretting this…

162. 162 Sean Stott said at 5:27 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Did you have to go under?

163. 163 scratcherk said at 5:28 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Gave me nitrous

164. 164 Sean Stott said at 5:35 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Aww man nitrous is awesome I haven’t had that in so long

165. 165 scratcherk said at 5:28 PM on April 21st, 2017:

They couldn’t get all the tips apparently tho…

166. 166 Rellihcs said at 6:58 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Just the tips?

167. 167 unhinged said at 11:32 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

All at once? I went through that as a teen, and became addicted to codeine. I didn’t mind anything until my mouth healed and the the pain medication ran out.

168. 168 scratcherk said at 11:38 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

They gave me Norco which I don’t want to take because of stories like that

169. 169 Insomniac said at 5:55 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Conley in the first and Mixon in the second? Talent wise, that would be a good start to the draft.

170. 170 meteorologist said at 7:04 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Heck yeah it would

171. 171 DrGeniusPhD said at 9:32 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Who knows if Mixon will last that long?

I thought the current rumors had the Browns taking him with the first pick in the second round.

172. 172 RC5000 said at 9:55 PM on April 21st, 2017:

It’s interesting they’re so anxious to leak their pre draft plans.

173. 173 Insomniac said at 10:27 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Maybe. I doubt they are doing that after what they said in their press conference. Conley is in the same mold of a CB that Schwartz had in Buffalo (Stephon Gilmore).

174. 174 Insomniac said at 6:05 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I realllllly hope that we’re one of those teams that took him off the board.

175. 175 Dave said at 7:01 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Injury-prone guys scare me too. But with injuries to the ACL, meniscus, and labrum, which are all cartilage injuries, I’m even more nervous of his future ability to stay healthy.

Does sports science help prevent cartilage injuries?

176. 176 wee2424 said at 10:52 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Is this his fuest tear like this? If it is I wouldn’t be too worried. Made it through multiple seasons of college to tear it during the far less physically demanding combine. Sounds like a freak accident to me.

177. 177 Insomniac said at 10:23 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

His other injuries must be freak accidents too.

178. 178 wee2424 said at 5:33 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Are we talking about Jones or Ross?

179. 179 Insomniac said at 5:39 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Ross. Don’t know where you pulled Jones from.

180. 180 wee2424 said at 5:48 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Lol, i was a few Golden Monkeys in when I posted the comment so idk where i pulled Jones from either.

181. 181 Insomniac said at 10:23 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Not yet.

182. 182 meteorologist said at 7:03 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Ross
    “Depending on the size of damage, this procedure signals the downward slide of a career as regrowth cartilage is never as strong as the original and longevity comes into question.”

183. 183 daveH said at 7:06 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Body is in tatters & Career is on fumes but he has his education … exactly why i hate that colleges exploit these kids

184. 184 meteorologist said at 7:07 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Sidney
    “The good news for Sidney Jones is that he should fully recover and be able to accelerate as explosively and run as fast as ever, which will allow him to become the top-flight NFL cornerback many expect.
    The bad news is that optimism he expressed after his March 21 surgery is not reasonable.”

“The team that drafts Jones will not be one with immediate need at cornerback but a club that can afford to wait to reap his long-term value.”

185. 185 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:24 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

If 30 year old 340lb Jason Peters could come back strong from tearing his achilles twice, im not taking a 21yr old off the board for an achilles. It’s not as scary as kids like jayson smith who shred their knee to the point of possible nerve damage or the horrible injury Victor Cruz suffered, what was it, his tibula? In 2017 I dont think recovery from achilles comes with the risk of those more serious injuries
    We aren’t winnig a Super Bowl this year, so I’d understand if they spent a 2nd or 3rd on one of the top corner prospects, and we Can draft another corner in the 4th to start opposite of jaylen Mills for a year while Brooks plays Nickel. Im still trying to speak into existence the Eagles surprising us with a draft day trade for a young veteran starting corner in which case we can really afford to redshirt jones for a year. He probably won’t play this year but he should easily be ready in time for the start of spring workouts this time next year.

For me, because we got Jernigan out of our 3rd round pick, I’d be willing to swing for the fences in round 3 with an elite injured player or top 50 talents with red flags that caused them to slide to the end of round 3

186. 186 SteveH said at 8:02 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I don’t know why I didn’t realize this earlier but my brother is getting married next Friday and the rehearsal dinner is the night before.

Selfish prick, right?

187. 187 Dragon_Eagle said at 8:12 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Were you invited?

188. 188 Media Mike said at 8:13 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Didn’t they check the full year NFL calendar before scheduling the wedding?

189. 189 Rellihcs said at 8:39 PM on April 21st, 2017:

That’s good etiquette for Americans, let alone actual NFL fans…

190. 190 Media Mike said at 8:40 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I start a good many replies with “let me check the NFL calendar first.”

191. 191 kajomo said at 8:14 PM on April 21st, 2017:

I would skip the rehearsal. In fact I honestly wouldn’t go. My family knows how much I enjoy the draft. If they picked that day they would do so know I would not attend

192. 192 scratcherk said at 9:12 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Easy choice. One of these things is a once in a lifetime event.

Tell your brother sorry but you’ll catch the next his next one…

i kid, this is what DVR is for friend.

193. 193 A_T_G said at 6:23 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

It is also what Skype is for…

Actually, text alerts would be my go to. I can do without all the pomp and circumstance of the draft event, as long as I know who we get. You can join in the rant about how much they screwed up later.

194. 194 ColorSgt said at 8:24 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

The draft is sooo drawn out it’s way too tough to sit through. Only part I like is whe Goodell gets booed. Its my favorite part actually.

195. 195 scratcherk said at 10:25 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Agreed, and I will watch every second…

196. 196 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:09 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

I can make a counter argument that video cameras were invented so you can attend the draft live, and watch your brother get married on video when you have time 🙂

Don’t even need a video camera now, a common cell phone does the trick. Heck u can even call in to your brothers wedding from the draft and give your best Mans speech on Speaker phone

197. 197 ColorSgt said at 8:01 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

It pisses me off how entitled people are about their wedding. Especially if you are in it. Like you have to put your life on hold and do all this stupid stuff, and chip in all this money for expensive pointless gifts. I didn’t care who was at my wedding. If you made it , great, if not, fine. All I cared about was getting married. Having said that, I actually like DVRing stuff and watching later. I’ll ignor my phone, and probably watch the draft in 30 mins. So that wouldn’t stop me from making a rehearsal.

198. 198 ChoTime said at 3:15 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Damn, millennial much?

199. 199 ColorSgt said at 10:14 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Ha. Technically yes. But in most cases i don’t identify with them. My rant came off like I hate it all. More specifically frustrated with people’s attitudes that aren’t understanding if you can’t do certain things. Along the lines of Gian GEAGLE above.

200. 200 Gian GEAGLE said at 5:05 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

What I find really crazy are The people who want to have weddings outside of the country and expect people to take Off work and pay their own trip to their wedding. I wouldn’t have the nerve to ask people to do that unless I was willimg to pay for all their travel and accommodations of each and every guest,

201. 201 laeagle said at 5:42 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Sort of how entitled people are when they get angry about being invited to special events by special people in their lives, where their food and drinks are paid for.

202. 202 ColorSgt said at 9:56 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Not angry about getting invited… More about how stuff is dictated to you about events/shared gifts etc when in a wedding party. Sister-in-law going through this stuff for a friends wedding. Ridiculous all the travel and expense they’re expecting from her.

203. 203 wee2424 said at 10:34 PM on April 21st, 2017:

Interesting question asked by BGN during an inteview with Ertz. I myself never even thought about this. For 2 years our best WR has been our slot receiver. Due to that the S may tend to play more in then if our best WR was on the outside. He was asked how he felt about that.

Honestly I didn’t read his response simply due to the fact it is more then likely very predictable.

That is something that can negatively effect a TE in getting open and YAC. With that said Ertz’s biggest issue with YAC is himself.

204. 204 anon said at 5:25 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

slot attracting coverage helps TE get deep over the middle, or even in medium range passes

205. 205 wee2424 said at 5:50 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

However when there is absolutely no outside weapon at all, and the slot guy is a possesion guy rather then big play guy, you can tweak that.

206. 206 Dave said at 8:30 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Golden Monkey was the reason I tried Uber for the first time. I did not read the label regarding the alcohol content. Needles to say, after that experience, I always check the alcohol content on microbrews when I know I will be driving home.

207. 207 wee2424 said at 5:52 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

I drank my first Golden Monkey playing poker with my friends. I didnt realize the content either untill it was too late and the money was gone.

208. 208 ChoTime said at 1:14 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Which just shows how awful the DeBacle really was and how much it cost our team. Save a few bucks, lose a few seasons.

209. 209 anon said at 5:23 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

i don’t know if foster is worth 14, but a lot of words are written about how players aren’t worth top picks there’s many recent examples playing for the boys. for me, if the league doesn’t suspend him why should I? lots of what media says isnt true.

210. 210 unhinged said at 11:17 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Foster looks to me like a guy whose strength in college could be negated at the next level. He unloads when he tackles, which turns heads, but he lunges and misses at times too. He is going to get smacked hard by OL’s and TE’s, and over weeks his feisty hitting may appear with less frequency and less feistiness. Meanwhile, in college he was part of an elite defense that masked his unspectacular reaction time. He is good, but I hope we look elsewhere in round 1.

211. 211 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:40 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Tim McManus was asked if he would still take Foster with the red flags?
    “Heck yes, I like a linebacker a little nutty”….. Can’t Argue with that thinking but it doesn’t have to be Foster, if Joe Douglas Thinks he can pluck a Lavonte David or Bobby Wagner outside of round 1 even Better. Wouldn’t mind seeing the classy, Cerebral Hicks paired with a Boderline psychopath at Linebacker as long as the psycho can be channeled just enough to be available on Sunday and save his terrorizing for the football field instead of society.

212. 212 phillychuck said at 9:45 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

This draft is chest-high in good corners, very good wide receivers, and good running backs. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go to another position at 14 (or trade down). Don’t be surprised with an OT (Ramcyzk, Bolles, or Robinson) or DE (Barnett, Harris, or Charlton). If Howard is on the board at TE I’d go that direction. The drop-off at those positions is way steeper. I was pretty sold on Foster earlier in the week, too, but the shoulder injuries scare me more than the character issues (which are scary enough). I’d trade down to around 20 and try to pick up a second-rounder, but the crowd won’t like that…

213. 213 GermanEagle said at 10:16 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

#Sick…

214. 214 scratcherk said at 10:25 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Nice. In contrast, Tom Coughlin shows up to Jacksonville and takes out their ping pong table..

215. 215 GermanEagle said at 10:42 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

TC is a dick.

But these Nova pics got me well jel. Amazing work.

216. 216 daveH said at 11:55 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Not impressed once again by philly architecture or design

217. 217 ChoTime said at 1:13 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Damn, you’re more negadelphia than me, my mon.

218. 218 laeagle said at 5:40 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Sounds like someone’s got a case of the Mondays

219. 219 daveH said at 11:58 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

TCs place needs a trophy case …

220. 220 GermanEagle said at 10:44 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

Yo Sean Stott

I’m a little bit jealous of ‘your’ guys at the Nova Complex. A truly awesome workplace…

221. 221 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 11:45 AM on April 22nd, 2017:

I guess that color change inst happening anytime soon

222. 222 GermanEagle said at 12:28 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

It was my understanding that we were only talking about replacing the alternative color with Kelly Green, and not the midnight green full stop.

223. 223 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 12:33 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Personally im fine with Midnight Green. I would them like them to redesigned the uniforms though. I think they should wear green pants and tops at home.

224. 224 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:29 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Personally I think because the Andy Reid era was one of the golden eras in Eagle history, the current jersey should be retired to commemorate the Andy Reid era as a special time. I didn’t think Chip Kelly’s Eagles should be allowed to where that Jersey, but since we haven’t had any playoff success since Andy, I’d like to retire our current Jerseys before another eagle coach can experience playoff success in them, kind of making up for the fact that we should have had enough respect for what Andy gave us to not allow the chip kelly or Doug Pederson Eagles to where that Jersey. For all the good times Andy, westbrook, trotter, DAWKINS, TO, brought us in those jerseys, I want them retired now so that when the next coach wins us our first post andy playoff game it will be in a different jersey so that 10 years from now when we ThInk of our current midnight green jerseys, they will be remembered for the andy/Donovan/Dawk era, we should have honored Andy by retiring those Jerseys the moment he left here. We didn’t do that, it was a mistake,but I feel like we have a chance to make it right by retiring those Jerseys now so that no coach but Andy can claim a single playoff win wearing those uniforms. They didn’t win us a title, but the joy and success that era brought us deserves to stand alone. Since new Eagles coaches have such a long way to go until they can bring what andy brought us, new jerseys should be implemented for future playoff success so 10 years from now our current Uni’s will almost soley be associated with the Andy Era besides a few years we łet chips Eagles wear it and 1yr of Pederson that hasnt resulted a Single playoff win since Andy left.
    It’s going to be hard to eclipse the andy era, so that Era should stand alone, and the first coach to bring post season succes in post andy Philly should do so in a new Jersey and if he has enough success maybe the new jerseys will one day be retired to honor him. Ideally I’d retire this current jersey and the midnight green in honor of those Andy Reid teams, and I’d start the Wentz era fresh with new uniform designs and I’d go back to
    Kelly Green but a compromise is at least Explore a way to incorporate midnight green with the Kelly green, maybe kind of How the seahawks have blue with that neon stripe, I’d like to see if they could come up with something like that where we keep midnight green but add a Kelly Green stripe in the mold of the seahawks Neon stripe. that way we could keep the main Color Midnight Green, but make the 3rd lessor color kelly Green, which if we can find a way to pull that off without it looking ugly, kelly green would be Our 3rd color, thus making it easy to have a kelly green alternate which they are struggling to do now because of the helmet colors that don’t go with kelly green Uni’s
    Doing a seahawks style jersey where the main color is Midnight green keeps the color Lurie likes to associate with his ownership, will showing a tip of the cap to the kelly green era thats also dear to us, and it enables us to wear mostly midnight green jersey, while also adding the Kelly Green Alternate Jerseys. Problem solved, and Lurie gets to make a killing selling brand new Eagle jerseys to all the fans who already have like 10 of our current jerseys. Lurie gets money, Andy’s era gets honored retiring that jersey, Wentz era starts with Its own fresh jersey… Win, Win, Win,
    and fans get the best of both worlds, midnight and Kelly green alternates
    Win, win, win if you can find the right design that can make a good looking mostly midnight green with either black, white or Silver as our secondary color and a small kelly Green stripe as the alternate color.

225. 225 ChoTime said at 1:13 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

I love how it looks like a mean giant Eagle is staring at them through the windows. Although that would probably me more effective in the visitor’s locker room, subtly spooking them out. And colored pink, because that makes you weak.

226. 226 Dragon_Eagle said at 2:09 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

That Eagle represents the fans.

227. 227 ChoTime said at 3:15 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Well played 🙂

228. 228 scratcherk said at 2:40 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Just turned on the tv to watch Danny Watkins get picked in a replay of the 2011 draft

229. 229 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:55 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

#goodtimes

230. 230 Gian GEAGLE said at 3:54 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Is this draft really so weak at the top, and McCaffrey and Fournette are so much better than kids like Cook, Mixon, Samuel, Kamara (that should be available for teams picking early round 2 that we will see the rare modern phenomenon of two Rbs drafted in the top 10?
    the media seems to have almost reached a consensus that the Panthers are taking a RB at #8, most assume it will be the the first RB to come off the board. Has the media nailed this? Hard to have an opinion if you are like me and are poorly informed on what else this draft provides. But I do see that the Panthers have lost some good players at positions much more valued than RB. DE Kony Ealy gone to the Patriots, have they adequately replaced Josh Norman yet? One of their best players is like a 67 year old linebacker, and their primary backup at all 3 LB spots left for the Saints.

I guess what im trying to say is if Panthers DONT go RB at #8, I struggle finding two teams in the top 10 that end up Going with a RB. if im a team like the Jags, I’d rather get an elite DE or Safety prospect like Solomon or Adams and trust that I’ll still get a really talented RB at the beginning of round 2
    Or is this Talk of McCaffrey going top 10 insinuating that he will end up coming off the board before LF?

231. 231 kajomo said at 5:53 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

I think the idea of pairing Fournette with Cam is too tempting to pass up. It will open up the entire passing game and that will be a top 5 offense.

I am on the record of saying McCaffery is overrated. No way is that guy a top 15 pick in my book. Great college player who has unbelievable versatility, sure. He is by no means a generation RB, which is the only reason to take one in the top 15.

232. 232 Gian GEAGLE said at 4:57 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

With less and less Jeff Sessions in America who say retarded shit like Marijuana is as bad as heroin,which is friggin crime since the insane heroin level classification is holding science back from really experimenting to find out how it can improve our medical treatment. With America slowly becoming more acceptable of marijuana, I wonder how long until the NFL becomes like the NBA where they claim to be anti Marijuana but almost do everything to avoid suspending it’s athletes for silly marijuana? I think it could be decades before corporate NFL is ready to publically say that Marijuana is ok, but I think we are close to transitioning to the NBA style where Marijuana is illegal yet you almost never see a player suspended for Marijuana. I think that could be 3-5 years away which will Eliminate 1 thing to worry about when it comes to draft picks. Kind of silly to łet “Free People” smoking marijuana on their own time keep the NFL from providing us with the very best football players in the world, think about a poor miserable Clevaland Brown season ticket holder who wastes so much of his money on that slop, being robbed of one of the few players who brought that Franchise any joy over the last decade because Josh Gordon smoked pot. If he smoked cigarettes or took painkillers that could kill him, paying fans would get to see a world class WR play, but because he smoked Marijuana, that young man lost his entire career, and paying football fans everywhere were deprived of one of the most special WRs in the world. Greg Hardy got a second Chance but josh Gordon can’t play in the NFL
    The craziest shit of all is that we are talking about a league that already loses a ton of its top talent to Injuries just by the nature of the game, and having to suspend healthy players for doing some serious shit like cheating via PEDS to assaulting civilians, carrying illegal guns, domestic violence, With all the elite players who aren’t available on sundays for one reason or another, you have to be retarded to look for frivolous bullshit that effects no one from keeping healthy players off the field. Quietly the NFL just needs to stop suspending players for marijuana but they can pretend it’s still a rule, the NBA has been getting away with it for decades. Curious to see how much of a,decline we see in marijuana suspensions during the next 3 NFL seasons. If that number doesn’t magically almost disapear completely, then the NFL needs some smarter leadership

233. 233 ChoTime said at 1:11 AM on April 23rd, 2017:

The NFL and much of its viewership are tight-assed conservatives with a Puritan streak. Puritanism = “the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, is having a good time.”

234. 234 Insomniac said at 5:40 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

It’d be nice to have a franchise RB again. The team hasn’t had one since Frank Gore left the team.

235. 235 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 5:50 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

We must all get ready for Christian McCaffrey. Where there is darkness he will bring light.

236. 236 Ryan Rambo said at 6:09 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Where there is darkness he will bring light.

Because he’s white? LOL

237. 237 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 6:15 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

i dont get it

238. 238 Ryan Rambo said at 6:17 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

🙁 Really?

239. 239 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 6:35 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

No. LOL i got it

240. 240 A_T_G said at 10:55 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Not because he is white, because he doesn’t weigh enough. At 200 lbs, he brings too much of the light.

241. 241 Dave said at 9:17 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

In non-Eagles news, Tom Brady is a scumbag. Who would have thought?

242. 242 daveH said at 10:21 PM on April 22nd, 2017:

Not very convinced any of this makes him actually a scam bug

243. 243 ChoTime said at 1:09 AM on April 23rd, 2017:

You mean the cheating, playing for Belichick, and support of Trump/dissing Obama didn’t tip you off?