Schwartz Talks

Posted: June 1st, 2017 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 57 Comments »

Jim Schwartz met the media on Tuesday morning before practice. He didn’t have anything groundbreaking to say, but did share a few interesting comments.

Schwartz offered some good thoughts on Vinny Curry, who disappointed in 2016. Schwartz opened by talking about the fact Curry was more disruptive than people realize and praised his DE for getting pressure. He didn’t leave it at that. Schwartz talked about how this year they need Curry to do a better job of finishing plays. Getting near the QB or getting a hand on him isn’t the same as sacking him. There needs to be more sacks.

The staff went back and studied the 2016 tape. The biggest thing they saw with Curry is that he was on the ground too much. “On the ground” is a big no-no for DL and OL. You can’t do your job if you aren’t on your feet. Schwartz pointed out that Curry started his rushes well, but just wasn’t finishing strong. He needs to do a better job of staying off the ground and being as strong at the finish as he was at the snap.

Schwartz said the staff gave each player an offseason plan, letting them know what they needed to work on to play better in 2017. You can’t just tell someone to “be better”. You have to explain what specific issues need to be worked on and how they can do that.

There was a lot of talk about the D-line. Schwartz referred to it as “the engine that runs our defense”. They want a deep, talented line where players are competing for roster spots and playing time. Schwartz talked about the DE spot being better with the additions of Chris Long and Derek Barnett. There is going to be a lot of competition there.

Schwartz praised Barnett for showing a strong work ethic in practice. The guys may not be in full pads or having full contact, but you still love to hear that your top pick is working his butt off in the OTAs. That’s a good sign. Schwartz also talked about Barnett’s ability to hover off the ground as he went around blockers. A lot of rushers struggle to stay off the ground when they dip under/around blockers off the edge. Barnett has the rare ability to do that consistently and it is a big reason that he had so many sacks.

Someone asked about attendance at the OTAs, likely wanting comments on Fletcher Cox and Marcus Smith. Schwartz didn’t want to touch that topic. It really is more of a head coach thing, but even then you can’t say too much since the OTAs are voluntary. Schwartz did talk about how much he loves this time of year and how he focuses on the players who are there. That’s the safe answer and honestly, anything else is wasting time. Fletcher Cox is probably the team’s best player. Him missing a week of practice in May isn’t a big deal. And Smith…if he’s not selling out to win a job, then focus your time on Alex McCalister and Steven Means. Good coaches focus on what they can actually control and don’t worry about the other stuff.

Schwartz did talk about the value of this time of year by telling a baseball story. He talked about something he heard Jim Palmer, the legendary Orioles pitcher, say once. Palmer had a terrible showing in spring training, wiht an ERA of something like 6.00. Someone asked Palmer if he was worried and he said “no”, that he had spent all of spring training throwing nothing but change-ups. He was using that time to practice something specific. He trusted his ability to throw fastballs and curve balls so he focused on change-ups.

This is the time of year for players to focus on specific parts of their game. This is the time of year for coaches to really work with them on the details of their position. There is a lot of teaching to be done now. The closer the season gets, the more coaches have to worry about winning games. For now, they can look at the players as individuals who need to be developed in very specific ways.

Schwartz got asked about the CB position and specific players. He praised Jalen Mills, a player he seems to really like. Schwartz isn’t delusional. He pointed out that Mills has things to work on, but he loves his attitude and work ethic.

He had good things to say about Patrick Robinson. The Eagles like his versatility. Robinson can play in the slot or outside. They liked what they saw of him in 2015. Robinson got hurt last year and injuries were his biggest issue.

Schwartz didn’t go into specifics, but he seemed excited by some of the other returning CBs and even some UDFAs from this year. I could see him loving Jomal Wiltz because of the way that kid plays. I don’t know if he’s good enough to make it in the NFL, but he is tough, confident and aggressive.

Schwartz sees potential in this group, but pointed out that means nothing. They have to prove they can play well and get the job done.

57 Comments on “Schwartz Talks”

1. 1 eagleyankfan said at 9:19 AM on June 1st, 2017:

“Schwartz said the staff gave each player an offseason plan, letting them know what they needed to work on to play better in 2017” – love that. I always wonder if teams did this. Did the offense do the same thing?

2. 2 Crus57 said at 11:28 AM on June 1st, 2017:

Given that Agholor is supposedly working on improving his ability to make contested catches, I’d say it’s quite likely the Offense has had that kind of attention to detail.

3. 3 Buge Halls said at 1:42 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I would say they didn’t have that attention last year, but maybe the new receiver’s coach is bringing it now

4. 4 Rellihcs said at 9:32 AM on June 1st, 2017:

I am in the “hate the Patrick Robinson hate” camp. Hasn’t taken a snap for our team and everyone is convinced he will suck.

5. 5 Insomniac said at 5:52 PM on June 1st, 2017:

What has he done to prove otherwise?

6. 6 Rellihcs said at 6:14 PM on June 1st, 2017:

He has stats and highlight videos. And Schwartz had some compliments.

So your philosophy is “hate until proven otherwise”?

7. 7 Insomniac said at 11:40 PM on June 1st, 2017:

That’s nice and all. If I remember correctly some journeyman CBs like Bradley Fletcher, Cary Williams, and Nolan Carroll also have those.

If he was even barely average he wouldn’t have been available in a weak FA CB market. Not saying that he can’t pull an Evan Mathis on us but that’s very unlikely.

8. 8 Rellihcs said at 7:26 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

He’s never played on a particularly good D, has 10 ints and pretty good pass break up #s, and we’re not looking for him to be the next Lito. But in all reality, those guys you mentioned (and to be fair, we’ve seen worse too) have no bearing on Robinson.

Ron Brooks looked pretty serviceable for us last year. Truth is Nolan Carroll initially played fairly well for us when he first came here….

I get it but I hate the “pre-assumed” suckitude mantra. It’s a losers mentality in my opinion.

9. 9 Insomniac said at 3:42 PM on June 2nd, 2017:

I’m pretty sure that no one ever thought of Robinson to even be the next Lito. Heck I don’t think he’s even a lock for the roster since the younger guys and Brooks/Gratz could very well outplay him.

It’s a loser mentality to think that a 29 year old CB who is on his 4th team is who he is at this point? Damn that’s what the other 3 teams must have thought too so I guess one mans trash is really another mans treasure.

10. 10 KillaKadafi said at 12:33 PM on June 2nd, 2017:

Surely we give him a chance to prove himself?
    I’m not convinced by any means that he is the answer, but I won’t hate on him for that, especially without giving him having set foot on the field.

11. 11 Insomniac said at 3:38 PM on June 2nd, 2017:

Sure we are. I just don’t get why people are getting up in arms about “hating” on Robinson. He’s not a rookie and has the odds stacked against him. I’ve never thought of him as more of a depth and competition signing.

12. 12 Stephen E. said at 1:54 PM on June 2nd, 2017:

Kinda think the amazingly strong DB draft class may have also been a factor.

13. 13 Insomniac said at 3:48 PM on June 2nd, 2017:

I’m sure it did but not to the degree that you think it had on him. He’s been a consistent third stringer who loses his starting job after earning it. He’s a dime a dozen CB.

14. 14 Media Mike said at 8:57 PM on June 1st, 2017:

He’s not signed for a high enough $ level for me to have the dude on blast. He’s essentially a jobber who is here holding down the fort for a brief time.

15. 15 Rellihcs said at 8:58 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Makes sense. I respect that you have parameters…hehe

16. 16 Media Mike said at 9:01 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Yeah, guys have to be in one (or often more) of a few categories to be in my cross hairs. Pre-hate would only be on a guy who I absolutely didn’t want to draft or sign; doubly so if he was drafted / signed for more than I deem necessary.

Robinson doesn’t check any of those boxes.

17. 17 P_P_K said at 10:17 AM on June 1st, 2017:

Can’t wait for football season.

18. 18 Sean Stott said at 2:11 PM on June 1st, 2017:

2 more months

19. 19 Rellihcs said at 10:31 AM on June 1st, 2017:

Daniels waived. There goes our extra higher than first round pick thumper. Damn. Must have told Schwartz that the Oriels have always sucked…

20. 20 Ryan Rambo said at 10:59 AM on June 1st, 2017:

Dang…that was fast. I wonder if they are planning on making a corresponding move.

21. 21 Rellihcs said at 11:18 AM on June 1st, 2017:

Yeah. Kyle Fuller – we’re ready to welcome you! … we’ll see. It is June 1rst afterall…

22. 22 Ryan Rambo said at 11:19 AM on June 1st, 2017:

Ha! I wouldn’t be mad at that I guess. I was hoping Daniels would pan out for us and be productive. I wonder if he’s not still fully healed up or something.

23. 23 Rellihcs said at 11:28 AM on June 1st, 2017:

Yeah me too. Oh well.

24. 24 teltschikfakeout88 said at 3:45 PM on June 1st, 2017:

dang…got waived for a backup PK…

25. 25 Media Mike said at 8:43 PM on June 1st, 2017:

How does that help in getting Kendricks off of this roster?

26. 26 Gary Barnes said at 10:37 AM on June 1st, 2017:

I also really like the fact they gave each defensive player an off-season plan with tactics on how to improve on them.

Schwartz has his own list I hope including figuring out how to utilize each player’s talents better, being more open to blitzing when appropriate and replacing under-performing players more quickly.

27. 27 Mr. Magee said at 12:58 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Amen. I was not impressed with Schwartz last year, and I went into the season pretty high on the guy (even though I’m not a fan of the wide 9). Like most NFL coaches, he seems fixated on his “system” and unable to adapt to personnel and circumstances. I’m hoping for better things this year, but he’s been around the block a few times so expecting change might be a bit optimistic. Think that’s still possible for Doug given his relative newness to being a HC – we’ll see.

28. 28 Ark87 said at 11:34 AM on June 1st, 2017:

I liked how he is always excited to work with his roster. But he makes no guarantees, “on paper” isn’t a thing for him. That’s refreshing, no BS guarantees. Just works his butt off and we’ll see.

29. 29 Sean Stott said at 1:13 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I had a dream last night that we traded Curry for the #11 pick in next year’s draft, which was the Patriots. It felt real at the time.

30. 30 Ryan Rambo said at 2:12 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Who did we pick at #11??

31. 31 Sean Stott said at 3:57 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I only remembered the dream when I saw this article about Curry. Dreams are weird, man.

32. 32 Bert's Bells said at 7:02 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Marcus Smith III

33. 33 Ryan Rambo said at 7:59 PM on June 1st, 2017:

HaHa! That ain’t a dream then, I would classify that as a NIGHTMARE!!!

34. 34 Stephen E. said at 1:56 PM on June 2nd, 2017:

He prefers to go by his middle name, which is Mamula.

35. 35 A_T_G said at 3:10 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I’d like to see us get a third rounder the next year, too, but I would settle for the #11 pick.

36. 36 Media Mike said at 9:02 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Ha; I’ll have to see if first pick adds a trade player for pick option next year and try to make that work.

37. 37 wee2424 said at 1:41 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Never thought about it but maybe that has been Curry’s issue his whole career. Amazing first step but has issues bending and turning the corner. Could be why he has had his most success inside where there is no corner that needs to be turned.

IF that has been his issue for so long now I unfortunately do not see him fixing it.

38. 38 KillaKadafi said at 5:04 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Perhaps his best spot in the 43 is 3rd down DT

39. 39 wee2424 said at 4:13 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

I hope he does indeed prove me wrong, but that is certainly how it is starting to appear. He has not been able to start with 3 regimes now. Was unable to beat out Barwin for the starting spot despite being handed a real nice paycheck last off-season, and since we drafted him the talk has consistently been that we need to get him inside on passing downs which is where he has had the most success.

When he got that new deal last year I was thrilled, but between his play last year and Schwartz’s comments it has me wondering if this “bending” issue means he is simply best fit for the role you stated.

40. 40 Jasanova said at 3:14 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I’m not a big fan of Schwartz. If the dline isn’t getting constant pressure, he has no adjustment. His attacking dline leaves the lbs having to deal with olineman on the second level a lot. And the corners are on an island a lot.

41. 41 theindianeagle said at 9:12 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I think if you give him an elite d line, like with kearse and Kevin Carter in TN, he can lead a top 5 unit. But I agree, he has no adjustments. He seems 100% reliant on the wide 9 rush. I don’t remember him stunting the lineman very often to try to generate a pass rush when the front was struggling

42. 42 Tumtum said at 4:16 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I wonder what they were saying about MSII this time of year for his rookie season.

The conversations Jim Tommy and I could have over a few PBRs about both of the best bird gangs around.

43. 43 Dave said at 6:48 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I can tell you what Tommy was saying (read and cringe)…

June 9th, 2014:

@LesBowen
    Eagles are all done with draftee signings, now that Marcus Smith is in the fold. Four-year deal.

Glad Marcus is officially done. Players almost never holdout under the new CBA, but it is just good to know that the deal is done. Now he can concentrate on making it to the Hall of Fame. Or being an effective role player as a rookie. Whichever.

May 18th 2014:

I covered Marcus Smith in the article as a guy who could be both a backup OLB and a role player in some sub-packages. He will play as much as he earns. The Eagles don’t have to force him into the lineup, but Smith also isn’t a project that absolutely needs years to develop. He has the size, skills and ability to play as a rookie.

Just because Smith isn’t likely to start doesn’t mean he won’t have some impact. The guy is an athlete and he can rush the passer. Something tells me that Bill Davis will find a way to use him.

44. 44 Insomniac said at 11:43 PM on June 1st, 2017:

Bill Davis, now that’s a name that I could have gone without hearing for a few more years.

45. 45 A_T_G said at 8:29 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I believe he was referred to as MARCUS DAAAAAAAARLING in some circles.

46. 46 CrackSammich said at 10:07 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I didn’t get it then, and I don’t get it now. Was this supposed to be a reference to something, or what?

47. 47 A_T_G said at 11:01 PM on June 1st, 2017:

I assumed everyone else got it. I have no idea.

48. 48 CrackSammich said at 1:37 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

I think *he* assumed everyone else got it.

49. 49 Will Ft. Daft Punk said at 7:29 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

Its from Boomerang, an old eddie Murphy movie

50. 50 Ankerstjernen said at 8:08 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

Gosh I almost forgot that whole pathetic thing.

51. 51 Media Mike said at 9:07 PM on June 1st, 2017:

“Schwartz talked about how this year they need Curry to do a better job of finishing plays. Getting near the QB or getting a hand on him isn’t the same as sacking him. There needs to be more sacks.”

Exactly

“The biggest thing they saw with Curry is that he was on the ground too much. “On the ground” is a big no-no for DL and OL. You can’t do your job if you aren’t on your feet.”

Now we have something to really use as a focus area for Curry other than sack total.

All in all, I wished the NFL would make it a rule that all assistant coaches have to be available for interviews once a week all season long.

52. 52 xmbk said at 5:36 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

This is what happens when you clean house:

Fletcher Cox was a holdout scare?

53. 53 Fufina said at 6:08 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

Almost everything in that article is wrong. They got Graham and Cox mixed up, and claimed that Barnett will start, which i find highly unlikely, especially initially.

54. 54 Rellihcs said at 7:17 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

With all due respect, I think who starts at DE is as significant as the orientation of our ass-hairs day to day. And I also disagree heavily that DB96 is “highly unlikely to start”. It’s barely June and he’s been a promising rook so far. We’ll see.

55. 55 A_T_G said at 8:24 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

I am so glad to see you write that. I used to sometimes wonder if I was the only one suffering through the awkward mirror arrangement and the sting of the hairspray.

56. 56 Rellihcs said at 9:03 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

Necessary hardship.

57. 57 Media Mike said at 6:09 AM on June 2nd, 2017:

That is an embarrassing attempt at journalism.