Ugly But Effective

Posted: August 18th, 2017 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 242 Comments »

Forget the final score. The big story on Thursday night was the debut of CB Ronald Darby. He was fast and athletic and made multiple plays in coverage. Darby broke up one pass and picked off another. The Bills don’t have a great QB or dynamic receivers, but Darby more than passed the eye test. He looked the part of a stud corner, something the Eagles haven’t had in a long time.

One game does not a trade make, but it is hard not to get excited about a talented defense now having a speedy corner who can cover top flight receivers. Jalen Mills has had a good summer (and he played well vs the Bills), but he still has his athletic limitations. You’ll never want him on Dez Bryant or Odell Beckham for a whole game.

Jim Schwartz turned his guys loose against Buffalo and let them attack over and over. The Eagles finished the game with 6 sacks and 4 takeaways. Mychal Kendricks had a terrific game and came up with an INT. Derek Barnett had a sack and played well. Steven Means had a pair of sacks and was regularly disruptive. There were a lot of positive takeaways for the Eagles defense.

The offense was up and down, and that’s putting it mildly. Jason Peters missed the game so Lane Johnson shifted to LT and Matt Tobin played RT. The results were bad. The OL couldn’t open holes in the run game and LeGarrette Blount had 5 carries for just 8 yards. The Eagles only ran for 66 yards as a team. Once again, the OL had another poor showing.

Is it time to get worried?

Not yet. The Eagles haven’t had their starting five OL on the field yet. The backup line was missing Big V at RT and they didn’t play well as a group. The OL was supposed to be a major strength of this team so you should be concerned with the poor play, but let’s wait until the starting unit is together before we hit the panic button. The Eagles have talented players. Something just hasn’t clicked in the last couple of weeks.

Carson Wentz didn’t start off well, but settled in and was solid overall. The Eagles struggled in the first couple of possessions. They finally got moving and mixed in some no-huddle. That brought everyone to life before a LeGarrette Blount fumble ended the drive.

Alshon Jeffery caught 2 passes for 23 yards and looked good. Nelson Agholor was the primary slot guy and showed his ability. He caught 2 passes for 28 yards. I liked his route-running and the quickness he showed once he had the ball in his hands.

It was hard to judge the backup offense because Matt McGloin was so awful. I knew coming into this he didn’t have a big arm and wasn’t special in any way. What I’m shocked by is what a poor decision-maker he is and his accuracy issues. His throws are all over the place. It is pretty challenging to evaluate young WRs when the ball bounces to them or flies 5 feet over their head. Ugh.

It was exciting to see Dane Evans come into the game. Even if he had sucked, it would have been better than seeing more of McGloin. As it turned out, Evans played pretty well. He has a good arm, he’s athletic and he can create something when there isn’t much there.

Corey Clement had another good game. With Darren Sproles and Wendell Smallwood out, Clement got plenty of snaps at RB and was the team’s leading rusher with 8 carries for 34 yards. Dave Spadaro said after the game he thinks Clement could be ahead of Donnel Pumphrey for a roster spot. I have serious doubts about that. Pumphrey has been quiet in the first couple of games, but the players are being used in different ways. I’ll write more about this.

A couple of offensive players who did stand out were TE Billy Brown and WR Marcus Johnson. Brown is big, athletic and catches the ball well. He had 4 catches for 34 yards. I think the Eagles could have a hard time cutting him and getting Brown onto the practice squad, which is what I’m sure they would love to do. They may have to start thinking of ways to keep four TEs. Johnson missed last week, but showed good speed and ability in this game. He was 2-45, including one catch and run that covered 38 yards. The Eagles would love to keep him around.

Joe Walker was the backup MLB and he had 5 solo tackles. I thought he looked athletic and confident. He might just be the backup MLB this season. The Eagles were real high on him last summer, but coming off a torn ACL meant the Eagles had to keep a close eye on him. Walker played a lot of snaps against the Bills and looked good.

Caleb Sturgis missed a FG. He was a machine last summer, but has been more erratic this time around. We’ll see if the team brings in any competition for him or just let’s him work his way through things. Sturgis had a really good season in 2016.

The biggest takeaway from this game is the fact the Eagles remain pretty darn healthy. Buffalo had a lot of players going down, hopefully with minor injuries. The Eagles haven’t had many guys get hurt to this point. That’s always an X-factor for regular season success.

The Eagles are not in midseason form. This is a team still trying to find itself. That’s okay for a team with a young coach and young QB and only half the preseason in the books. Think big picture. Healthy. Wentz has looked pretty good. There are receivers this year who can run and catch. The defense is playing well and the Eagles might actually have a #1 CB.

Life could be a lot worse.

242 Comments on “Ugly But Effective”

1. 1 Insomniac said at 1:04 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I’m going to say something that hasn’t been said by many people in a long time. Maybe Kendricks deserves to start for us this year until he disappoints us again.

Also I haven’t been impressed with Pumphrey regardless of how he’s being used. He just doesn’t even look average at times although that might be on the OL at times.

2. 2 D3FB said at 1:26 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Over who?

Not Hicks. And Bradham is playing well.

He’s a fine player. He’s a starter in the league. He’s not a great fit. But he’s not one of our two best LBs and he’s overpaid.

Find a team with a creative DC who can maximize his talents, get something back and move on.

It’s not a critical position in our defense. 300-400 snaps (last years total plus cynically adding two or three games of starts because of the injury/suspension crowd) of Kendricks instead of Goode/Gerry/Walker/KGH isn’t going to make a difference.

3. 3 Insomniac said at 2:58 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Over everyone not named Hicks/Bradham? As much as I would love to see Kendricks traded for something of value, it hasn’t happened and probably won’t.

But this could be the year where he finally breaks out!!

4. 4 CrackSammich said at 5:00 AM on August 18th, 2017:

But… he *is* starting over everyone not named Hicks/Bradham. The only starting spot left is a part time base defense WLB spot, which is where is plays.

5. 5 Guy Media said at 6:25 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Yes, what Crack said. He is a starter, but that position only plays 20%ish of the plays in our D.

6. 6 Insomniac said at 4:05 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I was going to let the Kendricks joke play out but that didn’t work.

7. 7 SteveH said at 6:31 AM on August 18th, 2017:

The trick is finding someone who’s willing to tango. We’re not just going to cut him, if for no other reason than depth.

I’d love to see Schwartz scheme him some creative stuff. If we’re going to keep him may as well use him right?

He’s looked so good this preseason, the typical Kendricks tease. I refuse to fall for it this time!

8. 8 Guy Media said at 6:35 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Unless by “I’d love to see Schwartz scheme him some creative stuff”, you mean “play Kendricks at DE”…………there isn’t anything creative about what Schwartz likes to do. Front 4 rush / back 7 cover.

9. 9 Ark87 said at 11:08 AM on August 18th, 2017:

frustrating but true. Schwartz is a system-first guy. He won’t adjust to his roster, got to adjust the roster to his system.

to be clear, he and his system can still be damn-effective.

10. 10 Ark87 said at 12:20 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Still, if he keeps making plays with the snaps he gets, at some point that matters when you have an injury/suspension proned top 2 linebackers, you have to value a play-maker. Him sniffing out that screen and getting through the traffic was very un-like him, so I’m hesitant to over-praise him.

I could understand the “hey we got depth, cash in and get value for later” before, somewhat. We got O-line depth (do we?), later Barbre! WR is stacked, lose somebody, make room for Marcus Johnson! Oooh a play maker at LB, get him out of here! Wait we can’t keep Means and McAlister (that’s a person right?), do the Patriots want Curry?

Ever since we got Darby it’s like, you know what, this defense could be good enough to carry us into the playoffs. The offense can be just good enough to not sink our hopes. Now I’m pumping the breaks on the strip out our depth for value. Why not win now?

11. 11 D3FB said at 1:55 PM on August 18th, 2017:

A 6th year pro who is wildly inconsistent made a couple plays against backups. CALL THE PRESS!

We still have the deepest OL in the league.

Point is Kendricks played 5 more snaps than Destiny Vaeao last year. Sure he’s nominally a starter, but if you can get something for someone who doesn’t fit well and isn’t a part of futue plans you do it.

We’re not a serious contender this year.

If we keep him fine, but from a roster building standpoint it’s smarter to blood youth who is actually going to be around.

12. 12 Guy Media said at 1:57 PM on August 18th, 2017:

“Point is Kendricks played 5 more snaps than Destiny Vaeao last year.”

Wow, I didn’t realize that. Like, wow.

13. 13 eagle60 said at 2:23 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Maybe Schwartz needs to get more creative instead of sitting back in the nickel 73% of the snaps last year with horrid DBs. You really can’t make plays from the bench so I’m not going to blame Kendricks for that.

14. 14 D3FB said at 2:26 PM on August 18th, 2017:

So you want Kendricks covering slot receivers?

Because that’s what happens if he’s on the field more.

It’s 2017, 11 personnel is base for offenses.

15. 15 Guy Media said at 2:29 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I don’t even like Kendricnks on TEs; the San Diego debacle of 2013 is still making me sick to my stomach.

16. 16 eagle60 said at 3:51 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I’m not sure that other teams passed against us 73% of the time last year either. Let’s face it, the league is changing and that WLB position has to change with it. You need a hybrid type of guy who can do both and I think that’s why I think the Birds drafted Nate Gerry.

17. 17 Tumtum said at 5:17 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Kendricks should be the definition of that guy. He is like the most athletic LB in the league. Meh. Think you just play more nickle.

18. 18 Ark87 said at 4:44 PM on August 18th, 2017:

serious question: why can’t we be a contender this year?

Who’s in our way? I see no world-beaters. The defense, when healthy, held up to the best offenses in the league last year, garbage corners and all. If the offense is any better, and the defense may be better, why write us off?

Am I predicting superbowl? Heeelll no. But I don’t think we should plan on not being in the mix.

19. 19 D3FB said at 5:22 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I’m arguing that the difference between Kendricks and the kids is relatively negligible over the small number of snaps and by blooding the kids we’ll have better cheaper experienced players in future years.

20. 20 Ark87 said at 5:30 PM on August 18th, 2017:

But just to change the subject, question still stands. It’s something I’ve begun to ponder. I don’t think the Falcons will be as good as they were last year but we’ll see. Seattle will always be in the mix. Green Bay will continue to not build around Rodgers, Rodgers guarantees them a playoff spot but will remain beatable. Maybe the Bucs make a big leap but if they did are they much better than us? I think a good version of the Eagles (health, players progress rather than regress, ditto coaches, etc) can compete with these guys this year.

21. 21 D3FB said at 5:33 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I don’t think there’s any killer teams but I think there’s 10 pretty good teams. It’s just unlikely the Eagles make a deep run their first time to the playoffs.

22. 22 Ark87 said at 5:50 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I just don’t want to Packer’s ourselves out of contention, I want us to be one of those 10 teams.

23. 23 Tumtum said at 5:15 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Killing the season in it’s infancy? Damn. I bet Seattle didn’t have reasonable expectations the year after they went 7-9 either.

24. 24 eagle60 said at 2:19 PM on August 18th, 2017:

We still don’t know what the league is going to do with Cabana boy Bradham. We’re most likely going to lose him for a few games and Kendricks will fill that spot better than anybody else that we have. I think that he gets much too much flack as it is. He’s a darned good player.

25. 25 Tumtum said at 5:13 PM on August 19th, 2017:

I’ll take the starting wlb who can play all 3 spots, personally.

26. 26 Obama's son said at 8:59 AM on August 18th, 2017:

It’s not “US” loser, it’s the Eagles.

27. 27 eagle60 said at 1:14 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I hate when people bring up the “US” crap. Fans identify with their teams, live and die with them, build their stadiums with their taxes and pay their salaries. They have the right to fell it’s their team and they are a part of it.

28. 28 Obama's son said at 2:04 PM on August 18th, 2017:

You are an IDIOT and a loser.

29. 29 eagle60 said at 2:27 PM on August 18th, 2017:

You must be a genius with your terrific insight. I feel so intimidated and am now trembling with fear. What an exciting life you must have if this is all that you have to do all day long. I’m jealous.

30. 30 bobeph said at 3:34 PM on August 18th, 2017:

you listen here you bum, most of these guys on here are idiots, like myself, but if you post in here again, you’ll wish Obama yo mama was yo presidents, shizzle, the best thing about you squirted off the side of yo bama mama knee

31. 31 Obama's son said at 9:35 PM on August 26th, 2017:

PUT A GUN TO YOUR NI GGER HEAD AND PULL THE TRIGGER.

32. 32 Sys Admin said at 11:05 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Kendricks is already a starter and has been for several years. His position is just in a package that doesn’t get on the field very often based on offenses using multiple WR sets so much. His salary is too high for the amount of time he is on the field in this defense that’s the only reason you’d want to trade him. He should not play in place of Bradham or Hicks.

33. 33 Insomniac said at 4:06 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Uh we know. Kendricks being starter worthy was a joke.

34. 34 eagle60 said at 10:54 AM on August 20th, 2017:

I have to agree Inso. I think he’s a wasted pick and I can’t believe that with Douglas’ MO that Pump was his idea. 4.48 isn’t the kind of speed that is going to allow a 176 pounder to play in the NFL. I don’t see the explosive quickness that I expected he’d bring to the table. It’ s not like he has the scat back abilities that McCallister (KC) had that could win you a couple of games every year.

35. 35 CrackSammich said at 1:49 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I said in the last thread, I don’t see Pumphrey as a true RB. I think he certainly could be a weapon, but he’s not one that you’d like to line up in the backfield and use the same way as you would Blount/Clement. And if you’re scheming him open, the appropriate time to unveil some fun tunnel screen package for him isn’t in preseason against bottom dweller teams.

36. 36 Dave said at 8:08 AM on August 18th, 2017:

After watching last night, I’m curious why the team was so down on Byron Marshall who is shifty and weighs over 200 lbs with great hands. What did they see in a small guy like Pumphrey that Marshall didn’t already have? Marshall always seemed to look good when given the chance.

One thing is certain, nobody in the Eagles roster compares to Shady. I don’t really care what happens between Clement, Smallwood, Pumphrey, or Marshall since none of those guys will ever be the solution as a starter.

37. 37 CrackSammich said at 1:51 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Power Sturge isn’t looking good. Oddly enough, I found this article on kicker statistical draft analysis tonight that’s pretty cool.

38. 38 Dave said at 8:03 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I posted that a few days ago. Really makes you wonder how a billion dollar team like the Bucs traded up to pick kicker in the 2nd without fully evaluating him.

39. 39 Techtriumph said at 5:57 AM on August 18th, 2017:

“The Eagles are not in midseason form”

You sure about that?

40. 40 ChoTime said at 2:29 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Ha ha, sly 🙂

41. 41 Guy Media said at 6:52 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Due to the Buffett concert last night, I’ll need to catch up on the game today. From what I could glean from texts from my friends and Twitter;

– Smallwood is losing his spot to Clement
    – D is looking solid
    – Clement is winning the RB spot from Smallwood
    – There are a bunch of people on Twitter who don’t seem to like Chris Long and/or Malcolm Jenkins very much and need to find a hobby; such as f-ing themselves with broom handles

42. 42 kajomo said at 7:16 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I can “kind of”understand being annoyed with Kaepernixk sitting during the national anthem, but how can anyone possibly have a problem with Jenkins and Long?

43. 43 Ark87 said at 7:57 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Tribalism, Jenkins is an activist, and Long spoke up against the alt-right (Charlottesville was his home town or something?) And that is pretty much all it takes.

44. 44 Julescat said at 1:56 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I admire Jenkins

Long is a tool

45. 45 Ark87 said at 5:47 PM on August 18th, 2017:

admittedly, I know absolutely nothing about Long

46. 46 Obama's son said at 9:02 AM on August 18th, 2017:

YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

47. 47 Julescat said at 9:27 AM on August 18th, 2017:

some prefer their football without the mix of politics

48. 48 Guy Media said at 10:02 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Lucky for them nobody is stopping the game to do anything political.

49. 49 Ark87 said at 10:51 AM on August 18th, 2017:

So why do they let their political disagreements mix with their opinions of them as football players?

50. 50 or____ said at 11:14 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Bravo

51. 51 Julescat said at 12:54 PM on August 18th, 2017:

don’t know. Personally, I think every player has a right to express an opinion. Expression can have consequences at times. I think the whole anthem protest is something played up too much by the media for ratings.

52. 52 Stephen E. said at 1:31 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I dunno. Why don’t we ask Tim Tebow?

53. 53 Guy Media said at 1:32 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I put Tebow and Kaep in the same boat; guys with garbage QB skills, who have big followings, who have a right to express their views.

54. 54 Ark87 said at 5:45 PM on August 18th, 2017:

thank you, that’s the thing every non-football fan fails to talk about (or perhaps realize). No, Tebow and Kaep don’t have jobs because they’re not good enough to start, and their style doesn’t fit what most teams are looking for in a back-up. RGIII is no worse than those guys, he has no agenda, and he’s in the same boat.

Meanwhile Malcolm Jenkins, the most active of activists, doing what some white people would see as a black panther power fist during the anthem, has a job because he’s really damn good.

55. 55 RobNE said at 10:58 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Life isn’t the cartoon where the sheep dog and fox clock out and then put aside any differences. If so, all the business CEO’s could stay on those councils b/c the council, by itself, isn’t a bad thing. But it all blends together, and I don’t think it’s up to us to say where and when lines are drawn, outside of which everyone should act like things are normal.

That might mean some of your sports or even blogs gets tainted in your eyes. But that’s a real first world problem to have compared to those shouldered by others.

56. 56 Ark87 said at 11:04 AM on August 18th, 2017:

It’s all hateful BS. Disco Stu loved Romney, I disliked Romney. Still loved Disco Stu.

Your political opinion shouldn’t over-ride personality and deeds. But suddenly political opinions are the only thing that matter. Absolutely toxic and unsustainable.

57. 57 Bert's Bells said at 11:30 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Mitt’s looking pretty good right about now.

58. 58 Julescat said at 11:38 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Mitt is getting hammered on FB and twitter.

stick a fork in what’s left of his political career

59. 59 Bert's Bells said at 12:21 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I’m sure your FB feed hates him.

60. 60 Julescat said at 12:51 PM on August 18th, 2017:

not on FB or twitter…so you are incorrect

61. 61 Bert's Bells said at 1:09 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Then how would you know?

62. 62 Julescat said at 1:52 PM on August 18th, 2017:

passing on information that I read. people posting their replies to Romney online on message boards.

63. 63 Bert's Bells said at 1:56 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I wouldn’t write a book report with those sources.

64. 64 Julescat said at 1:59 PM on August 18th, 2017:

wouldn’t be the first time that fake news fooled me.

65. 65 Ark87 said at 11:43 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Sure is, dunno how I got passionate against that guy

66. 66 ChoTime said at 2:28 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Politics has always been a disgusting thing, but the parties have really weaponized hate in order to make voting for the other side unimaginable. The Republicans were the innovators in this, of course, but now it’s firmly part of both parties’ playbook.

67. 67 Julescat said at 3:23 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Republicans aren’t innovators. Politicians had duels to the death in the 1700s. Dems started the Saul Alinskey playbook 50 years ago.

68. 68 kajomo said at 11:59 AM on August 18th, 2017:

The national anthem wasn’t even televised. We didn’t even see it.

Also many of those very same people love Tim Tebow for using his status as a platform for God. How is that any different?

69. 69 Julescat said at 2:02 PM on August 18th, 2017:

but the media never misses an opportunity to report on it.

If the media would stop sensationalizing the anthem reactions of players, there would be no story.

70. 70 ColorSgt said at 7:30 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I’d be surprised if Clement makes the team. Sure he is looking good, but to put him ahead of Smallwood, or even Pump at this point I think is unrealistic. So I agree, the D is looking good.

71. 71 Guy Media said at 10:01 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Smallwood sat out last night. I don’t know if he’s good enough to make the roster from the trainer’s table.

72. 72 ColorSgt said at 10:51 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I don’t think missing the second preseason game will keep him off the roster.

73. 73 Dave said at 11:12 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Smallwood’s main value seems to be as a kick returner. In reality, he seems like a bottom-of-the-roster guy who is easily replaceable. Either he or Clement would be fine in that role as serviceable backup.

74. 74 or____ said at 11:13 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I disagree, a lot. His value is as a #2 RB. And I believe Duce really likes him – as a RB.

75. 75 Dave said at 11:37 AM on August 18th, 2017:

But he’s #3 at best behind Blount and Sproles. He may even get less touches than Pumphrey.

76. 76 or____ said at 11:41 AM on August 18th, 2017:

This year yes, though I think you’re going a bit too overboard with the strict #ing (I know I mentioned it too), and jumping to conclusions about roles.

But next year? Do you expect Blount and Sproles to both be on the team?

77. 77 Dave said at 12:10 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Next year I expect a high draft pick to be on the team. Howie and Joe D have made it clear they are going to surround Carson with weapons like Manning had. A franchise RB is high on the list.

78. 78 or____ said at 12:26 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I agree. And I think putting all your eggs into 1 basket at the RB – even with a stud “franchise RB”, is unwise. Look at Dallas right now. Look at many teams that thought they go “their guy” at RB high and have whiffed.

I think they want Smallwood and Pumphrey next year – behind (that PSU stud for example).

79. 79 Dave said at 12:49 PM on August 18th, 2017:

My biggest issue with thinking of Smallwood as anythinbg more than a backup is that he is only 200 lbs. Although Shady seems small, even he is listed at 215.

I’m just not sure how Smallwood ever becomes anything more than a change-of-pace RB without adding 15 to 20 lbs.

80. 80 or____ said at 12:54 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Fair enough. but honestly, do you really think we know what he ways now?

81. 81 Guy Media said at 1:24 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Duce befuddles me often as a RB coach. Especially when he was stealing money out of my wallet by substituting Shady out of games in the red zone.

82. 82 Guy Media said at 11:43 AM on August 18th, 2017:

No, not in and of itself. But if he misses more time while Clement is playing it makes things more and more difficult for Smallwood to make the team over Clement.

83. 83 ColorSgt said at 5:25 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I certainly wish Smallwood was farther along at this point, but you and I are just at different places on his value on the team this year. Idealy I’d say he’s a RB3 that doesn’t play much, but I think he will get his touches with a role in the RB by committee this season.

84. 84 Obama's son said at 9:02 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I HOPE THAT NI GGER JENKINS TEARS AN ACL, SO TOO LONG.

85. 85 DustyRyder71 said at 7:56 PM on August 18th, 2017:

You’re trying way too hard.

86. 86 sonofdman said at 11:22 AM on August 18th, 2017:

The Hall of Fame is meeting to decide whether they should induct Clement immediately or make him wait until after his rookie season. Word is Clement make take Hollins spot in the HOF and make him wait a year to get in.

Also, I strongly agree with your last point.

87. 87 Corry said at 7:07 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Some more personal, untrained observations from last night:

1. I watched Jernigan a bit last night and he’s got a pretty good get-off. He doesn’t give much ground in double teams (also doesn’t get a whole lot of push, but I wonder if that isn’t partly because of the years in a 2 gap system). The positive was seeing him win a fair share of one v. one match ups. When teams start game planning and starts double and triple teaming Cox, SOMEONE has to win their one on ones.

2. Darby changes the whole dynamic on defense. We suddenly have a guy who can lock down a receiver and allows us to roll coverages towards Mills. I don’t want to over-exaggerate here, but I wonder if he can push the defense into top 5 territory? (this assumes he plays well and stays healthy)

3. Speaking of Darby, If Jones can come back healthy this year or next, the corner depth chart of Darby, Jones, and Douglas/Mills suddenly looks quite good.

4. The concern-o-meter is inching up on the offense. Wentz looks good but the line? eeeeeeh.

5. I don’t like Pumphrey at running back. I joked that he should go to IR with a season-ending hangnail, but I think he needs a year to get stronger. Clement is a good runner, but he needs work on receiving and pass protection, but I think he’s more worthy of a back-end-deactivated-every-game roster spot than Pumphrey right now.

6. I also think Billy Brown deserves one of those back end roster spots.

7. Ed Hoculi is in better shape than I am, and I know this because he spent waaaaay too much time on camera last night. Yeesh.

88. 88 A_T_G said at 7:42 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Good stuff, Corry. Is is going to be interesting to see if they can get Brown and Clement onto the roster. WR also has some tough decisions, and those are all positions that could steal slots from each other.

89. 89 ChoTime said at 10:41 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Football Outsiders, my favorite stat site, had the Eagles D ranked #4 last year, so if Darby gives us even competence at CB, top 5 should definitely be in play.

90. 90 or____ said at 11:12 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Your optimism is unacceptable.

91. 91 ChoTime said at 2:25 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I think you mistake realism for pessimism, sir.

92. 92 or____ said at 2:33 PM on August 18th, 2017:

That last post was 100% in jest sir.

I think harping on real negative things is a flavor of pessimism.

Happy friday fellow fan.

93. 93 A_T_G said at 7:36 AM on August 18th, 2017:

While driving home last night, Merrill said that the backup punter was holding for a field goal. Is he holding for all of them? That would explain a lot.

94. 94 DJH said at 8:24 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Yes and according to igglesnut on Twitter, he was holding for the miss last week too.

95. 95 Guy Media said at 9:59 AM on August 18th, 2017:

LACES OUT MARINO

96. 96 Stephen E. said at 1:36 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Sean Young is pretty hot for a dude.

97. 97 Guy Media said at 1:39 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I prefer her this way……..

98. 98 Sb2bowl said at 4:05 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Yes, he was- same with the backup long snapper which is why I’m not terribly concerned with the long distance kicks.

99. 99 A_T_G said at 7:39 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I was glad to see Wentz throw an incompletion last night, just to get it over wth. That isn’t something you want carrying into the bye week and creating a distraction.

After those first couple drives, though, I kept waiting for our receivers lunging for misthrown passes to come away with a McGloin strain.

100. 100 Corry said at 7:51 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Am I the only one who really misses Kapadia and McManus over at Birds 24/7? I really loved their morning after posts and their play break downs.

101. 101 Dave said at 7:57 AM on August 18th, 2017:

TMac went to ESPN and still kills it as a writer, but the content is not the same as when he was paired with Sheila.

102. 102 Corry said at 8:07 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Oh yeah, I still really enjoy reading TMac, but those two were awesome over at Birds 24/7. I read up on the Seahawks sometimes just to keep up with Kapadia.

103. 103 Ark87 said at 12:33 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I really miss Kapadia. I liked TMac a lot, they were a dynamic duo, but Kapadia’s writing is what drew me to Birds 24/7.

Glad we can still get T Mac at ESPN, though. Waaaaay better than anyone else they’ve had cover the Eagles.

104. 104 or____ said at 8:00 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Hell no. I loved that

105. 105 Guy Media said at 9:58 AM on August 18th, 2017:

No, we’re worse off for it. I loved their work as well.

106. 106 eagleyankfan said at 8:51 AM on August 18th, 2017:

“Don’t let a rookie fool you in April” Late/Great Billy Martin. Careful throwing around names who are playing because a veteran is either held out or being rested. I’ll be shocked if Smallwood gets ‘Wally Pipp’d’…Some new help on the defensive line for pressure – new CB — hard not to get a bit giddy about this defense…just say NO to 4 TE’s…while we’re making wishes — say NO to 3 QB’s too…for those out of market — 10 am on NFL network is the game…

107. 107 Obama's son said at 8:59 AM on August 18th, 2017:

TURNED OFF BY NI GGERS PROTESTING. I HOPE JENKINS TEARS AN ACL.

108. 108 ActionJackson said at 9:26 AM on August 18th, 2017:

we hope you tear one too 😉

109. 109 Howie Littlefinger said at 6:31 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I hope he tears his scrotum. Thats low even for a cowboys fan

110. 110 bobeph said at 11:42 AM on August 18th, 2017:

you are a flamer, nailed it is your mom

111. 111 DustyRyder71 said at 1:02 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Obvious troll is obvious. 17,316 comments, all private of course.

112. 112 Someguy77 said at 9:19 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Peters is a possibly a future HOF and Canton-bound. He doesn’t have anything left to prove.

Johnson on the other hand has had just one full very good season (2015) in his 4-year career and has a lot to prove yet.

113. 113 ColorSgt said at 9:37 AM on August 18th, 2017:

I know you are talking about being a competent LT, which I agree. I’ll also say that unfortunately for Peters, the HOF is based on post season success. With no playoff wins, I’d say he has a lot to prove. I really hope he gets a SB win with the Eagles before he retires. Then I think his chances increase greatly for a HOF bid.

114. 114 Someguy77 said at 10:22 AM on August 18th, 2017:

That isn’t on Peters though he has only played on mediocre teams that made the playoffs 3 times in his 13-year career.

If anything it is more indicative of the teams have played for including 5 years for Buffalo (mediocre for going on 20 years) and 8 years for the Eagles (mediocre going on 10 years). The mediocrity also started or was well in place before he arrived at each respective place too.

115. 115 Fufina said at 4:33 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Peters has 9x probowls and 6x all-pro. He is going into the hall even if he retires tomorrow. He and Joe Thomas are the best OL of their generation and will get in regardless of being on largely limited teams. The fact they have that level of recognition even though they have not been in great teams is just a testament to their greatness.

116. 116 Guy Media said at 10:05 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Peters will be ready to dominate people at LT again week one, I’m not even remotely worried about him.

117. 117 Seth S. Scott said at 9:46 AM on August 18th, 2017:

These preseason games I think have brought the players, and fans back down to earth about expectations this summer (myself included). BUT I’m not worried though and still am in love with Wentz and the rest of the core. I think this eagles team is gonna play hard and have a chance to put themselves in the playoffs if they can win close games and not create turnovers in the 4th QT.

118. 118 Guy Media said at 10:07 AM on August 18th, 2017:

They’re still fine tuning the roster going forward, so I’m not hung up on a playoff appearance……….for this year. I think they’ll show some decent growth and be a 9ish win team. If they exceed that, I’ll be really excited.

119. 119 Someguy77 said at 10:41 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Need to do a better job at converting in the red zone (1/3 last night in the 1st half) and above average special teams play too to have a decent chance to win 10 games.

A hallmark of Reid’s offenses here the last decade were his struggles in the red zone (with the exception being 2004) and it has been an issue again in his tenure at KC.

Eagles struggled last year (49%; 24th) and need to get that up to get that up to at least average this year.

120. 120 or____ said at 11:10 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Green Bay last year.

It’s always wise to draw conclusions about the state of teams from the preseason. Always.

121. 121 Ryan Rambo said at 10:26 AM on August 18th, 2017:

ESPN’s Field Yates reports Patriots third-round DE Derek Rivers has suffered a season-ending knee injury.
    Rivers was the Patriots’ top pick in this year’s draft after they traded out of the first and second rounds. A favorite of the draft community, Rivers had been making big strides in camp and was pushing for playing time in a thinned-out defensive end spot following Rob Ninkovich’s retirement. Trey Flowers tops the depth chart while Kony Ealy has been a big disappointment.

122. 122 Ark87 said at 11:11 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Wow, wasn’t expecting Ealy to be a disappointment, he was money for Carolina.

123. 123 Guy Media said at 11:42 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Curry, if traded rather than cut, nets us back $1 mil on the cap for 2017 and $11 million for 2018……………………Howie is on the phone I hope.

124. 124 or____ said at 12:03 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I was thinking the same thing earlier in terms of depth with Means and McAlister – not saying they’re great, but with a strong top 3, maybe we can save $, drop our # 4 and go from there.

Yes I’m jumping the gun on Barnett>Curry already but I’m ok doing so.

125. 125 Dave said at 12:12 PM on August 18th, 2017:

If Chris Long wasn’t a fit in New England’s defense, not sure how much of fit Curry would be.

126. 126 Bert's Bells said at 12:27 PM on August 18th, 2017:

My understanding is that Long was an age/money move. They didn’t want him as a back up. Now their starter’s out for the year, its a different situation.

Howie can pull a Sam Bradford, part 2.

127. 127 Dave said at 12:44 PM on August 18th, 2017:

As I posted above, Chris Long was a free agent and choose not to resign.

128. 128 or____ said at 12:28 PM on August 18th, 2017:

NE cut him for age/$, not fit. Look at what thei did with their top pick (albeit a 3rd rounder)…

129. 129 Dave said at 12:43 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Chris Long was a free agent and choose not to resign.

130. 130 or____ said at 12:53 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Good point. Then why did you suggest he wasn’t a fit in their defense?

131. 131 Dave said at 1:18 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Long, 32, explained that scheme fit was a big factor in his decision. Working in a 3-4 hybrid with the Patriots, he ended up playing inside a fair amount as a 3-technique. While he appreciated the experience, his preference is to be deployed from the edge, as he was earlier in his career with the Rams.

“If you watch what I did in St. Louis for eight years, that was more like what we do here,” he said. “So schematically there’s a big difference. I’m just lucky to find a place that I think I can at least compete to try to have a role.”

132. 132 Guy Media said at 1:22 PM on August 18th, 2017:

And wasn’t Curry’s best year when deployed from the inside in a 3-4?

133. 133 Dave said at 1:36 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I have no idea what’s up, but Curry seems to be a shell of his former self.

Edit:

“To me, that’s the best move they made (in the offseason),” an executive in personnel for another team said. “Going to a 4-3, you need a good right defensive end and that’s what he is. I think he could be a star.”

134. 134 Guy Media said at 1:40 PM on August 18th, 2017:

It really might be as simple as he lacks the closing speed to sack the QB from the edge on a consistent basis.

135. 135 or____ said at 1:23 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Oh good point.

Well regardless, it’s possible that Curry would be attractive to them. Long was at one point in the first place, no?

136. 136 Guy Media said at 1:21 PM on August 18th, 2017:

How much capital does one want invested in DE4? If the answer is not what Curry is owed, a trade of Curry makes sense if at all possible.

137. 137 or____ said at 1:25 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I think there’s a good point in there. I think there’s a possibility they like him more than we do and know more about his current status etc… But generally I kind of agree.

138. 138 Guy Media said at 1:28 PM on August 18th, 2017:

What I found most telling was that Schwartz took big Russian hotel level pee pee on people talking up Curry’s QB pressures and included a comment about being on the ground too much during one of the mini camp interviews. Considering we all know what happened to Death Rowe when Schwartz lost confidence in him, I wouldn’t assume Curry is safe on this roster long term. His contract dictates he’s not getting cut this year, but a trade takes $7 of dead money to his new team.

139. 139 Someguy77 said at 10:31 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Kelce largely got his ass handed to him again. He had some decent but struggled in both run & pass production.

Understand it is preseason and guys aren’t going at full speed but he has left a lot to be desired the first 2 preseason games. Been going on now for 2+ years.

I bet it is not a matter of if but when he loses his job this year unless the interior OL gets hits with a few injuries.

140. 140 Guy Media said at 11:41 AM on August 18th, 2017:

soft soft individual. Maybe he needs to sign up for weight ball as actual size NFL big men seem too difficult for him to block.

141. 141 Someguy77 said at 11:11 AM on August 18th, 2017:

Nailed it.

“5) The Rainbow Award: Matt McGloin

They might land in the hands of opposing defensive backs, but watching Matt McGloin bombs is undeniably fun.

McGloin has thrown 62 passes so far this preseason, and we’ll all be tougher for having watched them”

142. 142 Ark87 said at 12:04 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Kempski’s MS-Paint stick figure art is a treasure. Shame on microsoft.

143. 143 Bert's Bells said at 12:24 PM on August 18th, 2017:

There’s an adage: discarded technology becomes the tool of artists

144. 144 Stephen E. said at 1:44 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I like to play as the Patriots in Tecmo Super Bowl and pretend Grogan is Matt McGloin.

145. 145 Ark87 said at 12:24 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Modification of a post from a response deeeeep in a thread:

Earlier in the offseaon I was somewhat on board with the “hey we got depth, cash in and get value for later (cap space and draft picks)”. We got O-line depth (do we?), later Barbre! WR is stacked (is it?), lose somebody, make room for Marcus Johnson! Oooh a play maker at LB, get him out of here! Wait we can’t keep both Means and McAlister (that’s a person right?), do the Patriots want Curry?

Ever since we got Darby it’s like, you know what, this defense could be good enough to carry us into the playoffs and then who knows (there really aren’t any world-beaters out there). The offense can be just good enough to not sink our hopes. Now I’m pumping the breaks on the strip out our depth for value train. Why not win now?

146. 146 DJH said at 12:56 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I think the Eagles are good enough to make the playoffs if we stay healthy and get the requisite luck. However, I don’t think they go on a deep playoff run, mostly because of the offense and limited run game.

After three years of bad drafting and what we gave up to get Wentz, the Eagles are in a hole. So if moving some pieces in the short term makes sense value-wise in the long term, I think Howie has to do it.

I want to see us as a perennial playoff team by no later than 2019 into the foreseeable future. That means making hard choices right now.

147. 147 Ark87 said at 1:15 PM on August 18th, 2017:

That’s the thing, I’m getting to the point that I think the D can be that good, The guys that stood up to the Falcons and the Steelers but better. And if we let it, can have the depth to carry us deep. I wish the run game was better, but if Wentz makes the leap, and Alshon is as good as he can be, the O will be sufficient.

148. 148 Guy Media said at 1:19 PM on August 18th, 2017:

If the D is “that good”, Wentz improves in the way you’d expect for a guy who was 1-AA / 3rd string / injured at the same time last year, and the O-line stays away from PED infested MMA training; they’ll be fine.

149. 149 Guy Media said at 1:14 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Because that depth isn’t really that great and the cap money we gain by stripping overpaid depth will allow up to keep our premium talent, thus allowing draft picks to be asked to be complimentary players rather than day 1 starters.

150. 150 ChoTime said at 2:23 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Listening to AZ talk radio, the host specifically mentioned the Eagles as a team he didn’t know whatthehell they were going to do this year. I’m in the same boat. I feel confident the defense will continue to be very good, but the offense is… my crystal ball is murky. I think it could become at least average goodish, but I also think it could stay bottom third-ish.

Curve ball: we’ve grown accustomed to _great_ ST play, and that may be over.

To me, this team is a playoff contender, but to ask for more than one-and-done seems a bit unrealistic. But that’s why they play the games.

151. 151 Sb2bowl said at 3:59 PM on August 18th, 2017:

On the ST topic- Fipp is evaluating his guys, and trying out very specific, vanilla type returns and punt coverages. Beat your man.

I’m not too worried about it at this point- if it continues into Week 3, then I’ll panic.

152. 152 ChoTime said at 7:15 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I wasn’t aware Fipp used a lot of trickery in any case? I don’t know…

153. 153 DJH said at 8:56 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Fipp, is that you? Haha, no, that makes a lot of sense. Let’s hope that the case.

154. 154 Ark87 said at 5:19 PM on August 18th, 2017:

agreed, I can see anything from 8-8, and a realistic ceiling falling short of getting a bye week. So if they make it to the playoffs, it’s a coin toss to win or not in the wild-card round. And then it’s a huge ask to beat whoever got the bye week in their house.

But again, if we are healthy enough, can’t write anything off.

155. 155 GermanEagle said at 1:28 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Did we have a bet?!

I actually managed to not have one minute of sleep last night when going straight to the office after a loooong night at home.

Thanks to McGloin..

156. 156 BlindChow said at 4:53 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Hey, I figured out why Game Pass wouldn’t start on my desktop, in case you’re interested. I turned on “accept third party cookies” in Firefox, and it loaded fine.

157. 157 DJH said at 2:00 PM on August 18th, 2017:

More of this please:

Agholor’s catch and run from last night.

158. 158 Guy Media said at 2:01 PM on August 18th, 2017:

That’ll be open all year. Will he catch it and/or be lined up in a legal way prior to the play is the question.

159. 159 DJH said at 2:05 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Yep, with Jeffery and Smith stretching things horizontally, Ags and Ertz can attack the middle. The potential is there.

160. 160 Guy Media said at 2:06 PM on August 18th, 2017:

All things being equal, I think my preferred beneficiary of that is Sproles. I trust him the most to both catch it and run after the catch with it.

161. 161 Duracell said at 3:48 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Sproles is terrific, but he’s had pretty poor hands on the Eagles. He’s had plenty of crucial third down drops in his own right.

162. 162 sonofdman said at 4:00 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Sproles is great with the ball in his hands and fun to watch, but he is not the receiver that Westbrook or even Duce was. Lots of drops in the last few years for Sproles.

163. 163 Guy Media said at 2:00 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Next week should be fun.
    Hopefully Barnett gets some snaps with the first team vs. Tunsil.
    Also hope nobody gets killed when Kelce gets Ndomincated by Suh like he did the last time we played Miami.

164. 164 DJH said at 2:01 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Theyll do some game planning which should help.

165. 165 Guy Media said at 2:02 PM on August 18th, 2017:

It just kills me that Suh was “having a terrible year” until he faced Kelce when last we faced Miami.

166. 166 Ark87 said at 5:33 PM on August 18th, 2017:

you know, they better. Supposedly they don’t game plan or study film for preseason (luckily the practice will help us get used to them), but your season rides on keeping Wentz alive, you better have a plan for Suh v Kelce.

167. 167 DJH said at 6:14 PM on August 18th, 2017:

It seems that week three of preseason is a dress rehearsal of week one for the starters. So the team’s approach and planning g for miami should be quite a bit more sophisticated. Although with it being joint practice, not sure how that will happen.

168. 168 DJH said at 4:02 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Baldy calling out Ertz on Twitter. I was looking for the play where he came up short on 3rd down, and found this. You expect/need your 250 lb starting TE to get that first down and make this block, right?

.@ZERTZ_86 TE @Eagles is a problem in 11 personnel. There is no strong side run game when you are knocked 3 yards backwards by Jerry Hughes pic.twitter.com/HZz6z46Nzj— Brian Baldinger (@BaldyNFL) August 18, 2017

169. 169 Insomniac said at 4:07 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I’ll never understand the love for Ertz (then again I didn’t love Matthews either). Celek was a much better TE in his prime and I’ll fight everyone in here who disagrees.

170. 170 Bert's Bells said at 4:35 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Chad Lewis will take you up on that.

171. 171 Dave said at 4:43 PM on August 18th, 2017:

172. 172 Insomniac said at 6:50 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Your opinion is wrong and we have to fight to death.

173. 173 Dave said at 7:01 PM on August 18th, 2017:

No you are wrong!

174. 174 ChoTime said at 7:13 PM on August 18th, 2017:

via GIPHY

175. 175 ColorSgt said at 5:17 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I can’t say he’s wrong. Ertz is a guy you have to fit into the game plan as opposed to game planning around him. A tight end ideally needs to be able to do 5 things. Block on the line, block in space, run routes, catch, and RAC. He does 2 of those things well. Running routes and catching. We know he doesn’t block the big guys that well, and he goes down easily after a catch. I can’t say I studied him blocking DBs in space, but I think he might be ok. Point is, he’s good at what he does well, but can’t do it all.

176. 176 kajomo said at 6:04 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Teams find a way to be successful with TEs that can’t block all the time. I actually think our fan base underrates how good Ertz is in the passing game. He is the potential to be in the Jordan Reed category in the passing game. I think having the chance to build on his connection with Wentz will lead to more production this year.

177. 177 ColorSgt said at 9:57 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I’m not under rating him for his passing game. He’s great in that sense but being a liability as a blocker limits what you can do wih him.

178. 178 kajomo said at 6:59 AM on August 19th, 2017:

I get that, but Jordan Reed wnd Jimmy Graham are pro bowl players that struggle blocking. Evan Ingram just got drafted in the 1st round and will have some issues blocking due to his size. I’m not saying Ertz isn’t a liability as a blocker, but that we need to find a way to minimize his weaknesses and play to his strengths. He can be a difference maker for this offense. We cannot have a team full of superstars with no weaknesses.

179. 179 Ark87 said at 6:11 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Not many guys that block well anymore, or bulldoze for YAC. It’s like Gronk who does all of those things well, and that’s the end of the list. Most modern TE’s are just match-up headaches: too big for nickle corners, too good of receivers to be covered by linebackers.

Ertz does need to get at least adequate at blocking though. He doesn’t have to be good, but he can’t be a liability at blocking.

180. 180 ColorSgt said at 9:58 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Yeah I agree.

181. 181 Dave said at 6:21 PM on August 18th, 2017:

The only time you game plan around a TE is when he is the primary receiver…a la Gronk or Kelce.

182. 182 Insomniac said at 6:49 PM on August 18th, 2017:

He’s also not a RZ threat. That pisses me off the most.

183. 183 Guy Media said at 8:12 PM on August 18th, 2017:

This is why I don’t want to be in “11” that often.

184. 184 D3FB said at 1:33 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Did you notice how teams just pack the shit out of the box against us when we aren’t in 11?

That’s hade to run against.

185. 185 Guy Media said at 7:47 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Is that due to lack of respect for Celek as a pass catching threat because we’re in “12?” If we were in “21” and just ran Sproles all over the formation would that loosen things up enough to be harder to predict?

186. 186 D3FB said at 11:45 PM on August 19th, 2017:

It’s more something I noticed with the second team (I haven’t caught the starters in either game). Anytime they went 2 TE boxes got loaded up.

I’m not really worried about the run game. Once scheming and planning come into effect things shoulld open up.

187. 187 DJH said at 5:00 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I typically park in lot X, but with the new $40 fee I’m looking for alternatives. Do any of you have a favorite spot you wouldnt mind sharing? I’d like to be within 15 min walking distance to the stadium if possible.

188. 188 A_T_G said at 12:22 AM on August 19th, 2017:

I park in Norristown and take the train in.

189. 189 DJH said at 8:44 AM on August 19th, 2017:

I should have clarified that I want to tailgate at the spot as well. im wondering if there are any side streets or random parking lots that are close, cheaper, and good for tailgating. Probably not. Ill probably suck it up and pay the $40.

190. 190 Dragon_Eagle said at 6:52 PM on August 18th, 2017:

“Is it time to get worried?”

Yep. Yep it is.

OT depth is non-existent. If either Lane or JP are out for any extended time, we’re screwed.

We could have Shady McCoy and we’d still be averaging a crappy 2.5 yards per run cause we couldn’t block trashcan from getting to the RB behind the line. We’re shaping up to be the worst running team in the NFL.

With the Darby acquisition and the upgrades at WR, OL is our biggest weakness. And its more important than CB or WR when you have a developing young QB.

Let’s just hope that JP found the fountain of youth and Lane Johnson learned to read.

5-11, ugly season on its way.

panicbutton[off]

191. 191 P_P_K said at 6:59 PM on August 18th, 2017:

What’s your prediction if Lane and JP stay healthy all season?

192. 192 Dragon_Eagle said at 7:01 PM on August 18th, 2017:

16-0

193. 193 P_P_K said at 7:13 PM on August 18th, 2017:

My man!

194. 194 Corry said at 11:44 AM on August 19th, 2017:

*19-0.

195. 195 ChoTime said at 7:09 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I was curious, so I trolled up some intel from a Bills’ site about Darby. Here are some comments about the trade:
    Glad to see them both gone, even though this was likely Sammy’s last season in Bufalo regardless.

He’s a small corner that is tremendously fast and has great closing speed. He isn’t great in press due to his size but I think with some good coaching he should do very well, his potential is very high. He’s raw on the mental side but has all the physical tools.

Darby? A guy we had under control for ******* nothing?
    Screw this franchise.

Darby hurts though, I thought he had all the talent in the world and could have really been a great player for us.

I’m still salty about Darby but I have to think he wasn’t a good scheme fit. He seemed like a much better man corner and McDermott is much more zone heavy. I still can’t believe we traded him.

Love the Darby trade. Hate the sammy trade

If you were banking on Sammy to stay healthy and Darby to return to rookie season form (probably better) then idk what to tell you. I wasn’t counting on much from either of these two this season, not sure how anyone could.

Ronald Darby was worse than Steph Gilmore last season. I’d be interested to see how many plays of 20+ yards Darby gave up last season?

Darby is a tougher pill to swallow for me but I agree that he is definitely a better fit in a man system and after regressing last season it is really hard to expect him to get back to his rookie year play, that’s a big assumption in my opinion.

196. 196 Ark87 said at 7:15 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I feel like you dug deep to find all 9 Buffalo fans to get a response. Good job!

197. 197 Tumtum said at 10:49 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I remember when we got Peters someone did the same on EMB, and most people seemed to be happy he was gone then.

198. 198 ChoTime said at 12:07 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Interesting…

199. 199 Guy Media said at 8:19 PM on August 18th, 2017:

I’m watching a recording of the game from last night; ever time I see Incognito I wish somebody was punching him in his face.

200. 200 DJH said at 9:08 PM on August 18th, 2017:

For those suggesting that Smallwood might lose his roster spot to Clement, the Spudaro tea leaves suggest otherwise:

201. 201 ColorSgt said at 9:48 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Yeah Smallwood isn’t going anywhere.

202. 202 Tumtum said at 10:45 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Seems right. Keep the 5th round guy over guy who out preforms because he wasn’t drafted.

203. 203 ColorSgt said at 11:26 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Lol I simply don’t think they will cut him. I’m not trying to defend him. I just think Smallwood is considered a piece of the offense as well as special teams. There is a slight chance Clement will make the team, but I only see him as a bottom roster, inactive on game day guy barring an injury.

204. 204 Guy Media said at 7:53 AM on August 19th, 2017:

And you could very well be right that RBs 1 through 4 are locked in and Clement is battling for a spot vs. WR6, TE4, CB5, S5, OL10, etc.

205. 205 kajomo said at 7:04 AM on August 19th, 2017:

My only issue with Smallwood is durability. He is easily the better and more talented player. I don’t know when Clement has outplayed him? Smallwood just hasn’t played.

206. 206 Guy Media said at 7:52 AM on August 19th, 2017:

“My only issue with Smallwood is durability.”

That’s the key issue right now. He’s trying to make the team as the last RB on it, but he’s not so valuable he can do that while not playing. He’s not Jason Peters. He’s not even Big V in terms of value.

I was excited when they drafted him and think he’s a decent prospect, but they’re going to need to have all 4 RBs active each week.

207. 207 kajomo said at 8:29 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Agreed, but the idea that Clement has out performed him (as Tumtum claims) is crazy. The game Smallwood had last year against the Steelers is something Clement isn’t talented enough to do.

If you want to compare ability vs availability that is different, but Smallwood is just a superior player/talent compared to Clement.

208. 208 or____ said at 3:47 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Not so sure on that last statement… especially “need”

209. 209 D3FB said at 1:31 PM on August 19th, 2017:

And Ray Charles vision.

210. 210 Tumtum said at 5:09 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Clement looks good to me. Smallwood doesn’t. Shit I haven’t even seem smallwood this year.

211. 211 kajomo said at 5:45 PM on August 19th, 2017:

You can instantly see that WS is more explosive. He is also a better receiver and has value as a KR. Add in the fact that he recurve doesn’t rave reviews by those who reported at training camp this year.

His inability to stay healthy is a major concern, but I think it is clouding peoples’ opinion of him. Hopefully he plays this week and balls out. I think he can be a really solid #2 back moving forward.

212. 212 Tumtum said at 10:05 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Was listening to Baltimore sports talk today. A normal caller calls in and asks about options likely to be cut that might be an upgrade to Terrance West at RB, and specifically names Clement (we couldn’t see the game on tv last night).

Interesting to me.

213. 213 Guy Media said at 7:50 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Well if Baltimore wants him so bad, Howie’s phone is always on.

214. 214 DJH said at 10:15 PM on August 18th, 2017:

Mockdraftable spider charts

I don’t know that Smallwood is the answer at RB long term. Especially if he can’t stay healthy. But I’m not sure Clement has the speed and explosiveness to succeed in the NFL. I don’t see him eluding NFL LBs.

215. 215 kajomo said at 7:02 AM on August 19th, 2017:

That DB lost contain on his big run. He looked slow in the open field and couldn’t make the safety miss in space. His ceiling is probably as a #3 RB

216. 216 Guy Media said at 8:19 AM on August 19th, 2017:

I missed “#29 Allen” on the guy’s back, so I’ll have to rewatch that run by Clement.

217. 217 Guy Media said at 7:50 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Zero Staley had next to zero speed and explosiveness, yet some people think he was a better player than Ricky Watters……….so I’m sure we can find a way to get Clement productive.

But those charts are interesting context.

218. 218 Dave said at 8:02 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Out of all the Eagles RBs over the past 20 years, I’d rank them Shady, BWest, Ricky, Duce, Buck.

Duce was a short-stepper who caught a ton of screens, but was never game planned against.

219. 219 Guy Media said at 8:11 AM on August 19th, 2017:

I’d flip Watters to first, but agree with the rest of the order you have, but I have to fudge my list to 22* years to include the 95 season. I’m also using Watters stats after he left that should have been achieved as an Eagle. But Shady had the same thing happen to him.

Watters, before he was rudly displaced by Alexander in Buffalo, was at 14450ish from scrimmage and 90 TDs in 9 seasons. Shady, after 8, is at 11884 / 73 after 8. I just think Watters is was a slightly better player overall.

And I really wish BWest would have been blessed with better health as an NFL football player.

220. 220 Dave said at 10:30 AM on August 19th, 2017:

The top three were head and shoulders above the rest.

I have Ricky third because he was an Eagle for such a short time. He and Shady were the only 2 true franchise RBs on the list.

221. 221 Ryan Rambo said at 8:49 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Just curious….does having Kelce at center negate Blounts’ strengths? As in inside running as opposed to trying to run him to the outside like we’ve seen this pre-season? I know our guards are pretty good, just wondering if Kelce’s lack of size/strength hinders us in that regard or is it no big deal. Times yours!!

222. 222 or____ said at 9:37 AM on August 19th, 2017:

223. 223 daveH said at 9:55 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Or is running Blunt around the outside play to his weakness ?? Like how Chip played DeMarco. .

224. 224 D3FB said at 1:29 PM on August 19th, 2017:

225. 225 daveH said at 10:13 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Awesome. Thank you

226. 226 daveH said at 10:01 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Watched the 1 st qtr on the delayed broadcast .. 3 passes sailed on Wentz. W T F.
    He didn’t play long. .and he allegedly worked on technique all summer.
    …that is going to drive me, drive media Mike, drive Geagle, drive Guy Media, drive Tumtum, drive us all, drive philadelphia nuts in the same way DMac w the those worm balls

227. 227 Guy Media said at 10:03 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Ha. Those bad passes were 100% the fault of Kelce/Tobin induced pressure. I’m not even a little bit conflicted about this.

228. 228 daveH said at 10:11 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Ok, but …

229. 229 kajomo said at 10:11 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Believe it or not all 2nd year players have some things to work on. Everyone expect Wentz to looks like Brady, Ertz to look like Gronk, Jalen Mills to look like Patrick Peterson. Guys need time to develop and every roster has weaknesses. Our fans have unrealistic expectations.

230. 230 P_P_K said at 10:46 AM on August 19th, 2017:

You’re right on both counts. The second year is an opportunity for players to take a big leap. It’s hard to know this early in the season to what extent guys like Wentz and Mills have developed.

You’re also certainly right about Philly fans and expectations. Visit just about any other Eagles forum for proof.

231. 231 daveH said at 12:07 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Ill give you some push back on the unrealistic expectations … Villanova iz the most successful franchise in town so I’ll say is pure unbridled HOPE in the face of reality

232. 232 Dragon_Eagle said at 2:26 PM on August 19th, 2017:

We don’t expect Wentz to be as good as Brady. We expect him to be better. 5 Superbowls *without* cheating.

233. 233 RobNE said at 5:54 PM on August 19th, 2017:

I hope it’s just 5.

234. 234 P_P_K said at 10:44 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Still pre-season. I don’t go into “driven to nuts” mode until the reg season.

235. 235 daveH said at 12:04 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Yeah agree. . Oh but the humanity of seeing the script .. Conditioned to anticipated the worst

236. 236 anon said at 11:34 AM on August 19th, 2017:

Gotta accept that he is who he is. Got to a sb with the worm balls, hopefully we can also get there with air balls. Guess biggest difference is you can’t intercept a worm ball

237. 237 GermanEagle said at 8:29 PM on August 19th, 2017:

The worms did!

238. 238 DJH said at 2:02 PM on August 19th, 2017:

I thought the first sailed ball was adrenaline. The one to Alshon in corner of EZ a throwaway. Not sure about the other. I think we’ll have a better idea at the end of the 1st half next Thursday.

239. 239 daveH said at 6:58 PM on August 19th, 2017:

True on the toss into the end zone. .the Bills were all over that play. .i love Wentz. . I just worry. .

240. 240 RC5000 said at 2:43 PM on August 19th, 2017:

Are you counting the throwaway which was a positive?

241. 241 Benny6968 said at 12:24 PM on August 19th, 2017:

It;s hard to believe that McGloin was a starting NFL QB at any point of his career by the inept performances he’s had so far.
    Nothing like putting out some game tape so horrible that nobody wants you.
    That’s exactly what he’s done so far, and that’s saying something coming from a team that is known for making decent QB’s look better than they are.

Dane Evans played his ass off and earned the respect of Eagles fans and I’m sure the coaches as well.
    You have to love the grit and fearlessness that Evans has shown. Not bad for a guy who may never start a real NFL game.

242. 242 ColorSgt said at 12:47 PM on August 19th, 2017:

It just shows the lack of talent at the position. There aren’t 32 healthy starting caliber qbs to go around. We are very luck to have Wentz.