Early Saturday Update

Posted: September 2nd, 2017 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 84 Comments »

What we know so far.

Obviously the big fella made the roster. I think this is about next year as much as anything else. My bet is that they could see him taking over at LG and then moving Isaac Seumalo into C. That would give the Eagles a lot of size up front. Those would also be very physical blockers and that’s something Doug Pederson has talked about a lot. He loves nasty, tough OL who can physically dominate.

Warmack played pretty well this summer. He looked very good at times. I thought he really stood out at the goal line and helped the Eagles run well down there when he was in those situations. Warmack is a good run blocker.

He is not a good pass blocker. There are some good moments, but he is wildly inconsistent. He doesn’t use his hands well and gets grabby at times.

I don’t love this move, but Warmack is at least a player with a definitive strength. He’s not a complete project. There is something for the coaches to work with. He is an above average run blocker. If you can clean up his pass pro, you could have a solid player at a reasonable price.

CUTS

Taylor Hart – Showed real potential as an OT, but not good enough to keep him on the roster.

Cameron Johnson – Surprised the Eagles held onto a second punter this long.

Josh Andrews – Couldn’t stay healthy this summer. Always a favorite of the coaches.

Dallas Thomas – Was an afterthought when he signed, but played well. Should get another chance from some team. Good athlete.

Aaron Neary – Big guy with some upside, but still a project.

I’m watching cuts by other teams.

RB – Matt Jones – WAS let him go because of fumbling issues, but very talented.

LB – Sean Spence – Loved him coming out of college. Not sure if he could play 4-3 MLB.

LB – Audie Cole – Big guy who is a backup and STer. Limited athlete, but might offer depth at MLB.

84 Comments on “Early Saturday Update”

1. 1 philllyfanatic said at 2:45 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Glad we signed Warmack for an extra year. Offense will be unstoppable next year when the road graders are clearing way for Saquon Barkley!

2. 2 A_T_G said at 3:06 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Unless we see a YouTube clip of Barkley laughing while assaulting a nun by throwing puppies at her, I don’t think we are getting a shot at him.

3. 3 Corry said at 3:20 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I know some video editing guys. We could probably make that happen.

4. 4 A_T_G said at 3:26 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Just make sure it is uploaded in Dallas, to give him a little extra motivation.

5. 5 Dave said at 3:45 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

You could of said the same thing a few years ago about the Eagles getting a franchise QB too.

6. 6 Bert's Bells said at 4:02 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Dallas is gonna be picking first.

7. 7 Someguy77 said at 4:20 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Barkley is going to be a Top 10 (it not Top 5) pick. Eagles don’t have a chance to get him unless you think they are going to be awful.

Dislike the Womack extension. It is makes little sense and it seems to be one if Roseman’s worst traits as a GM (infatuation with name guys in FA).

8. 8 Dave said at 2:53 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

ESP says Clement is safe.

9. 9 Corry said at 3:10 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

For now. I hope he made the roster (I’m one of his only fans on here), but until he’s safe on the roster in week 2, he shouldn’t get too comfortable.

10. 10 RC5000 said at 3:15 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Down to 62, today’s rumored cuts so far:

Cam Johnston P
    Dallas Thomas OL
    Aaron Neary C
    Josh Andrews OL
    Taylor Hart OT
    Byron Marshall RB
    CJ Smith CB
    Jomal Wiltz, CB

11. 11 A_T_G said at 3:27 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

From last thread, I added Phillip Dorset to the bottom of my FF bench.

12. 12 or____ said at 3:47 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Ditto

13. 13 A_T_G said at 3:36 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

14. 14 bobeph said at 3:37 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

this guy cant play nfl football

15. 15 A_T_G said at 3:45 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

16. 16 RC5000 said at 3:47 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

17. 17 A_T_G said at 4:00 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Apparently Mosher also saying D. Gordon is cut.

18. 18 RC5000 said at 3:49 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

19. 19 Ray888 said at 3:54 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Brown cut per NJ news

20. 20 RC5000 said at 4:01 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

21. 21 RC5000 said at 4:02 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

22. 22 or____ said at 4:03 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Hurts to see Gordon and Brown cut. But I’m happy/agree with Treggs.

23. 23 RC5000 said at 4:03 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

24. 24 RC5000 said at 4:03 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Hamilton cut?

25. 25 P_P_K said at 4:03 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

It’s 4:03pm by my clock…

26. 26 or____ said at 4:04 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Cuts have to be into the league by 4, not to the public. Ha

27. 27 P_P_K said at 4:05 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Ah, thanks. I didn’t know that.

28. 28 A_T_G said at 4:05 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

29. 29 Corry said at 4:20 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I don’t think he was part of any special teams units.

30. 30 Duracell said at 4:23 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I leaned toward Treggs over Gibson, but I agree this what did him in. It’s understandable.

31. 31 RC5000 said at 4:08 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

32. 32 A_T_G said at 4:10 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Gordon and Gerry biggest surprises to me.

33. 33 Duracell said at 4:11 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Surprised by Gordon. Nothing else was too surprising.

34. 34 RC5000 said at 4:31 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Gibson making it was a slight surprise but I thought he made a decent enough late run…

35. 35 Duracell said at 4:33 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

See my response to Corry below. I also think Gibson had started to play better after his early struggles, but the narrative had already stuck.

36. 36 Insomniac said at 4:34 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Gibson is more talented than Treggs, he has more body control and can challenge for jump balls. Well at least he did in college..

37. 37 RC5000 said at 4:34 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Some thought Watkins would get cut.

38. 38 Insomniac said at 4:35 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Some people just hate him like he’s Kenjon Barner/Josh Huff.

39. 39 Green Sea Turtle said at 4:54 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

BTW, Kenjon Barner was cut by the Chargers. He’s available. Want him?

40. 40 A_T_G said at 4:57 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

And Huff was cut too. So was Parkey. Put the band back together.

41. 41 Duracell said at 4:38 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

A week and a half ago I would have agreed. Really started to look like they wanted to keep him though.

42. 42 FairOaks said at 5:03 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

He’s not a good safety, but OK in a pinch. He also has CB flexibility, which is why he probably made it. Corey Graham being here means that he’s the 4th safety now, not the 3rd, so much less likely to be on the field. But he may also be an easy cut if there is another team’s player they want.

43. 43 FairOaks said at 4:32 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Kept Gibson but dropped Gerry. Interesting. Those may be based on whether the team thinks they can get them to the practice squad. Gerry’s injury probably helps there. Though, another tactic may be to drop a player once most of the initial shuffling is done, so maybe Gibson gets dropped later on if another desired player becomes available.

Only 8 OL. Hrm. And Gordon was the “fullback”, so not sure what they do there this year. Does feel like there will be more shuffling, like there is every year.

44. 44 RC5000 said at 4:23 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I think Howie is having a customary cut down day scheduled PC around 4:30.

45. 45 A_T_G said at 4:27 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

So, Jason Peters is super-healthy, right?

46. 46 P_P_K said at 4:41 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Sure hope so.

47. 47 Someguy77 said at 4:45 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

The supposed OL depth has really fallen off. Besides Wentz stating healthy, the two most irreplaceable guys are Peters and Johnson. Huge failoff if either goes out.

48. 48 RC5000 said at 4:28 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

49. 49 FairOaks said at 4:35 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Wonder if these are team friendly contracts, with something like “either sign this or you’re getting cut.” Or if there is a decent signing bonus that will make the Eagles think about cutting them next year. Warmack signed one too. Will be a little interested to see the terms, and if there is guaranteed money beyond this year.

50. 50 Someguy77 said at 4:56 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

If he somehow stays healthy, not a bad signing. Just can’t stay on the field.

51. 51 RC5000 said at 4:32 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

So will McAlister eventually go on IR…and Sullivan?

52. 52 BlindChow said at 7:44 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

If not claimed they go back on the Eagles’ IR.

53. 53 Someguy77 said at 4:39 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Womack had a really good training camp Roseman? Think not.

If he is an adequate starter next year I guess it makes some sense but I don’t like the extension.

54. 54 Someguy77 said at 4:42 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

So preseason results doesn’t apparently matter much for Pumphrey and Gibson yet he touted it for Womack?

Talking in circles Roseman.

55. 55 Bert's Bells said at 5:58 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Not every player needs to be evaluated with the same rubric.

56. 56 Corry said at 4:45 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

This isn’t the final 53 by a long shot. If I’m Clement, Pumphrey, and Gibson, I don’t think I’d count my blessings yet. Same for Grugier-Hill, Walker, Goode, and Watkins.

57. 57 Insomniac said at 4:49 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Matt Jones in. Clement out. Although I still don’t know how that’ll work without Pumphrey being stashed on IR.

58. 58 Corry said at 4:51 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I’m not sure Jones is a player they’d be interested in. He’s a good fit I think, but he has major fumbling issues.

59. 59 RC5000 said at 4:49 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Walker’s been very good and should get better as he continues to recover.

60. 60 Corry said at 4:52 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I agree, and I thought he did well in the preseason, but if they believe they can squeak him through the waiver wire and onto the PS they may do it.

61. 61 Someguy77 said at 4:50 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

It’s underwhelming. First thing I have disappointed in by Roseman including keeping 5 RBs.

Hate when teams don’t admit they made a mistake or overvalue a guy they just drafted (Pumphrey). Heard a few reporters argue he would make through waivers to the practice squad and I agree. He didn’t show he was capable of doing anything in special teams right now either which is why a team might take him.

62. 62 SallyForth said at 4:49 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Obviously this will NOT be the final roster going into the season. Still …

Only 8 OL … ? Would have definitely kept the more versatile Dallas Thomas over the limited Warmack.

Keeping Cory Clement and releasing Billy Brown … ??
    Clement is a pedestrian RB – plenty of them to be had. Brown showed real potential particularly in light of the probable departure of Celek.

And why keep Gibson over Treggs?? Treggs is much more likely to be signed by another team than Gibson. Oh right – Gibson was a 5th round pick. Nevermind.

Again, more moves to be made, but a few of these are headscratchers …

63. 63 Insomniac said at 4:50 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Something something Warmack has so much potential.

64. 64 ChoTime said at 4:52 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Potential is sexy…don’t you think?

65. 65 P_P_K said at 5:02 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Are you talking to me?

66. 66 ChoTime said at 1:19 PM on September 3rd, 2017:

Don’t remember, sorry…

67. 67 P_P_K said at 1:48 PM on September 3rd, 2017:

When i read “potential” and “sexy” I just kinda’ thought… Aw, forget it, I’ll go ahead and make other plans for Sat night!

68. 68 ChoTime said at 6:50 PM on September 3rd, 2017:

Did you ever see the Jack Palance commercials? “Confidence is sexy…(takes an audible breath) don’t you think?”

69. 69 RC5000 said at 4:52 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

That was GM speak. I didn’t hear anything earth shattering.

70. 70 Someguy77 said at 4:54 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Yeah. He claims Foles is going to be ready in Week 1 too just as Pederson did last night.

He might active next Sunday but the Eagles better hope he doesn’t have to play.

71. 71 RC5000 said at 4:58 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I’m not sure how you’re relating that to what I said. I was more talking about in relation to specific cuts but I don’t think it’s earth shattering what you’re talking about either

72. 72 Someguy77 said at 5:13 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

It isn’t. I just surprised how they assert Foles is going to be ready to go when he isn’t even practicing on consecutive days right now.

73. 73 RC5000 said at 5:37 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Oh okay no problem.

74. 74 FairOaks said at 5:45 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Probably because he needs rest for the elbow, but could still probably play one game in a pinch. If Wentz went down for multiple games, I assume we would sign another QB off the street in case Foles aggravated his injury.

If all goes well, Wentz is fine, and Foles gets to rest for quite a while before being needed, at which point he would be recovered.

Little point in him playing preseason or lots of practices, so may well let Foles rest as much as possible to save those reps for the regular season if needed.

75. 75 A_T_G said at 4:55 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I’d hate to be a Michigan fan today: two pick 6s and a blocked punt on consecutive drives.

76. 76 Corry said at 4:57 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

They were in control there for a bit too. Spaight just sh*t the bed 2 drives in a row.

77. 77 Corry said at 5:02 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Also the refs made a really bad call on that initial Michigan drive. That should have been a TD and i’m not entirely sure which one of them saw the illegal formation.

78. 78 Someguy77 said at 5:21 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

This is a playoff-caliber roster but still a highly flawed one. Secondary is the one area that had been notably upgraded since the draft with Graham, McDougle, and Darby.

OL has been underwhelming and depth has taken a hit. Still not a fan of Kelce as the starter but as long as Peters and Johnson stay healthy they should be ok.

I see this as 9-7 team (3rd in NFC East) and home in Jan. Could easily convince me they could win 10 games and be in the playoffs or win 7-8 games.

79. 79 SteveH said at 5:23 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Surprised Gibson made it. That’s the biggest one for me.

80. 80 SteveH said at 5:27 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I guess the only thing I really have issue with is Gibson over Treggs, and maybe that Clement made it. Surprised Dillon Gordon got cut also, but he wasn’t impressing enough to stay.

Could be we’ll cut Clement and pick up another OL? We’ll see.

81. 81 Someguy77 said at 5:39 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Going with 8 OL and no clear backup T is odd despite what Roseman stated today.

82. 82 kajomo said at 5:44 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Big V is a clear back up T. I’m fairly certain they see him as their future starting OT

83. 83 RC5000 said at 5:44 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

I thought Gibson progressed somewhat and didn’t have the dropsies in pre season games. I thought it was close between him and Treggs and I wanted to keep one of them so I was happy. I preferred Treggs but it was pretty even for me. I also wonder how much the vanilla offense plays a factor in coloring our perceptions.

84. 84 kajomo said at 5:46 PM on September 2nd, 2017:

Most people are probably watching FL vs Michigan, but I keep flipping over to watch Bradley Chubb against South Carolina. The guys looks like a legit 1st round pick and was very good last year as well.

If we cut curry next year DE could be a top need yet again. He’s a guy to keep an eye on this season