Good Times, Good Times

Posted: October 17th, 2017 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 178 Comments »

The Eagles are starting to get a lot of praise.

Football Outsiders also has the Eagles at #2 in their DVOA rankings. The Eagles are the top NFC team, just behind KC and just ahead of the Steelers.

Honestly, all of this positivity makes me a bit nervous. It feels so much more natural when the Eagles are being doubted than praised. I guess this is a good problem to have and one I could get used to.

I wrote a piece for PE.com on the Eagles being a good team. You probably have to go back to 2010 to find something like this. The Eagles made the playoffs in 2013, but were a weird team. The 2014 team went 10-6, but were also weird. This team feels legit. They are winning games by playing good football. There aren’t any gimmicks or an abundance of lucky plays. This team controls the line of scrimmage and then makes big plays in key situations. That’s winning football.

And as I mentioned yesterday, doing it with a franchise QB gives it a different vibe as well. Even in 2010, Michael Vick felt a bit like lightning in a bottle. Carson Wentz is a young player on the rise. He should get better and better as he gains experience and hones his craft.

I have no idea what the ceiling is for this team, but I’m sure as heck enjoying the ride.

More good news.

Big V and Kenjon Barner helped the team in the absence of Smallwood and Johnson, but there is no question that adding those players will give the Eagles a boost. Johnson is one of the best RTs in the league. Smallwood has the burst and athleticism the backfield lacks without him. He has become a good pass-catcher and is important as a 3rd down option for Wentz.

The Eagles need all their weapons as they prepare for a key game with the Skins. The Eagles beat them in the opener and sweeping the season series would boost the team’s chances of winning the NFC East. Without looking it up, I think the Eagles last swept the Skins in 1937. Sure seems like that.

I hate having to wait for Monday night since the team played last Thursday, but that will give all the injured players an extra day to get rest so they can be ready for a huge midseason game. The Skins don’t want to fall 2.5 games back in the division race. They will be a fired up team.

178 Comments on “Good Times, Good Times”

1. 1 Charlie Kelly said at 11:38 PM on October 17th, 2017:

eagles need to use this extra attention as a reminder to keep workinghard

2. 2 Flyin said at 11:45 PM on October 17th, 2017:

I expect they are hard working it.

3. 3 Flyin said at 11:42 PM on October 17th, 2017:

If the Eagles beat the Redskins, I will start to think this team may be more than just possibly making the playoffs. Have to keep expectations in check. The Flyers are playing great hockey. Maybe it’s contagious. Sixers start tomorrow night.

4. 4 Guy Media said at 5:15 AM on October 18th, 2017:

The Carolina win took me to “we’re winning this division and had better not choke a home playoff game.” In order to get to “we’re making a deep playoff run” I’d need to see us run off a significant number of games left on this schedule. I’m not there yet. Where I’m at currently is; “if they choke on Monday night I’m calling out everybody for being a bunch of gutless coward choke artists who refuse to take care of their own business at home!”

5. 5 RC5000 said at 12:20 AM on October 18th, 2017:

I don’t want to jinx anything but the schedule that once looked tough in the second half doesn’t look quite as scary. Three road games in a row won’t be easy still and things can change some.

Last 8 games
    vs. Denver 3-2
    at Dallas 2-3
    vs. Chicago 2-4
    at Seattle 3-2
    at Rams 4-2
    at Giants 1-5
    vs. Oakland 2-4
    vs. Dallas 2-3

19-25 cum. record

6. 6 Guy Media said at 5:13 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Don’t worry, this isn’t a single thing a fan can do to jinx a schedule.

7. 7 Mac said at 9:44 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Don’t forget that west coast home game!

8. 8 ChoTime said at 12:24 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Jeez, now I’m going to feel very tense for the WAS game. I really had no particular expectations for this season, but now I’m starting to get excited.

9. 9 Sean E said at 1:22 AM on October 18th, 2017:

“Smallwood has the burst and athleticism the backfield lacks without him.”

Technically speaking, I also have the burst and athleticism the backfield lacks without me.

10. 10 DrGeniusPhD said at 3:22 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Hopefully Smallwood is able to finish out the season. Otherwise the Eagles need to question whether he’s dependable enough to keep around.

11. 11 Guy Media said at 5:12 AM on October 18th, 2017:

He’s cheap for another 2 years and he’s never going to be anything other than a change of pace back. I like him, when he actually feels like playing, but they need to invest an early pick in RB soon.

12. 12 CrackSammich said at 8:09 PM on October 18th, 2017:

You know, I would have 95% less problems with what you write if you would just stop equating not being able to play with not wanting to play.

13. 13 Guy Media said at 8:39 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I’d have 95% less reason to do so if guys would make the point moot by playing.

14. 14 Dragon_Eagle said at 4:32 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Is it Monday yet?

15. 15 Guy Media said at 5:11 AM on October 18th, 2017:

“The Skins don’t want to fall 2.5 games back in the division race.”

Well that’s kind of a problem as I don’t want the Eagles choking away the chance to put Washington down 2.5 games in the race for our division title.

16. 16 GermanEagle said at 7:32 AM on October 18th, 2017:

You know if the Eagles are for real?!

When they beat the bloody Redskins on Monday night!!! If not they may be the ‘same old’ Eagles again…

17. 17 eagleyankfan said at 8:56 AM on October 18th, 2017:

you’re probably just joking….win or lose – these are not the same ol Eagles…

18. 18 GermanEagle said at 9:58 AM on October 18th, 2017:

😉

I just want to sweep this team from Washington so bad.

19. 19 P_P_K said at 10:32 AM on October 18th, 2017:

I declare the “same old Eagles” era ended when Elliott’s kick passed through the uprights.

20. 20 nopain23 said at 8:38 AM on October 18th, 2017:

cousins always looks like the second coming of john elway against us and kerrigan turns into lawrence taylor.
    division games are a different animal. if we beat washington it means we beat a stout defense with a QB who is actually in the mvp race.
    a win here legitimizes the eagles as one of the upper echelon teams .
    been a while since this team could be spoken of as such.
    feels good being an eagles fan so far this season. ’bout damn time!!!

21. 21 Bert's Bells said at 9:15 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Kerrigan is a flat out great player against everyone.

But, yeah, in divisional games conventional wisdom goes out the window, anything can happen.

22. 22 Mac said at 9:51 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Kerrigan was the player I really wanted the Eagles to find a way to get in 2011. He’s a special player. When he came off the board I was 100% certain the Eagles would take a chance on Jimmy Smith.

23. 23 Bert's Bells said at 10:03 AM on October 18th, 2017:

I like any player you can call “The Cat”.

24. 24 A_T_G said at 1:10 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Well, Lane Johnson is a cheetah.

25. 25 Stephen E. said at 10:47 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Kerrigan is already like 95% L.T. on any given day.

26. 26 bdbd20 said at 8:59 AM on October 18th, 2017:

As Eagles fans, we tend to be negative. This is the third year since 2010 that we’re being talked about as Super Bowl contenders (2010, 2015, 2017). Pretty damn good, especially with three different head coaches and quarterbacks.

We all should appreciate Jeff Lurie. Not all teams have that kind of leadership.

27. 27 ChoTime said at 10:53 AM on October 18th, 2017:

We’ve been in the conversation far more than other teams. Why forget 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004? It’s been a good run. Lurie spends the $ and hires good people (or at least tries to).

28. 28 Someguy77 said at 1:03 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Actually reports that Lurie though has become much more active in player personnel decisions though in the past 2 years since the Kelly firing.

Love to get a bit more detail on exactly what his role is because it has definitely changed.

29. 29 ChoTime said at 1:59 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I remember being very wary of the new Lurie around that time. The narrative seemed to be that he was stepping in to change the culture and also getting a bit involved in football decisions. Unfortunately, it’s so hard to really know what’s going on behind the Green Wall of Silence.

30. 30 Ankerstjernen said at 4:46 AM on October 19th, 2017:

The thing that has been mentioned the most is that he has been taking an active role in making sure that the culture and the philosophy of the team gets back to what it was under Reid. This has been reported widely, and there are clear examples of it – like the hiring of Pederson. Nothing suggests that Lurie is getting involved with player personnel decisions or the daily management of the team. Rather, he is active in trying to create the kinds of culture within his organisation that he values and believes will lead to success. What happened with Howie is another big piece to that puzzle. Howie was kept around with a big raise during Chip, but it was noteable that he came back with a different tone and mindset and a new approach to collaboration and team building. You have to believe that Lurie was in talks with him about that behind the scenes. If these are the kind of things that Lurie is getting his hands on, i think that is fine and appropriate. I won’t believe he gets into acual football-decisions until I see it.

31. 31 mark2741 said at 10:43 AM on October 19th, 2017:

I interpreted that talk at the time as Lurie simply coming in and directing Howie to get a franchise QB at all costs, priority #1, and to surround him with a staff and backup QB that will facilitate his success. They did, and it was the correct and obvious strategy. Of course, those who hated the Chase Daniel signing, the Doug Pedersen hiring, and the trades to get the Wentz pick will disagree. They prefer the approach Cleveland took/is taking.

32. 32 Gary Barnes said at 9:41 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Good news on Johnson coming back healthy, we need the OL to keep controlling the LOS and giving Wentz & the weapons time to operate.

As I said previously, we’ll see how the season unfolds and what tangible goals the Eagles achieve. Then we can evaluate them more accurately IMO.

The team looks pretty good right now and I hope it keeps rolling.

33. 33 Masked Man said at 10:21 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Tommy said that “Chip’s teams were weird.” And they were.

And you talk about a team reaching what they call “a tipping point.” That 2014 team with the 9-3 record just hit the wall and fell off the edge of the earth. One win out of three to close the season. Missed the playoffs with 10 wins. Never the same again. Went 7-9 that next year.

This team seems to have reached a critical juncture too. It seems like that Cardinals game meant something to them. It seems like they decided “Hey. Our team can be good and we will be good. Good enough to dominate and be a top team.”

The game at Carolina was a thing of beauty if hou love football. It will get talked about for a long time. But what will be more important is how they respond the game after that.

If they string together a second big win vs. this division rival and playoff conteder from DC, it will stand on the shoulders of the statement made at Carolina.

Beatjng Washington will prove that this Eagles team is worth all the praise and hype and that they’ve reached a defining moment of theie own. We’ll see on Monday.

I’m excited and I can’t wait! Go Eagles!

34. 34 P_P_K said at 10:30 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Great post.

35. 35 Chiptomylou said at 12:30 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Ditto

36. 36 ChoTime said at 10:54 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Tommy’s post is titled: “Good Times, Good Times.” If they lose against WAS, will the next post be “Good Times, Bad Times”? Look how Tommy’s setting up his titles so far in advance!

37. 37 Ark87 said at 6:23 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Tommy writes a contingency article for every possible scenario ahead of time. http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/tom-brokaw-pre-tapes/n10894?snl=1

38. 38 ChoTime said at 10:57 AM on October 18th, 2017:

OT: Every so often, Elway is talked about as one of the very most talented QBs who ever was (I think I heard on the radio yesterday, someone saying only Elway was in Rodger’s class as a talent). Admittedly, I was fairly young when he was playing and not that into football, but I never perceived this specialness about him that is often cited. My memories of him were mainly getting slaughtered in various Superbowls and then riding the Terrell Davis train to a couple of late-career titles.

What was it about Elway that made such an impression on people?

39. 39 sonofdman said at 11:03 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Judging by your comments yesterday I’m a couple years younger than you, but I was really into football then, and what I remember was Elway’s pure physical talent. He had a great arm and was big, fast and athletic. He could make all the throws, he could run, he could shrug off sacks. That is why he is often brought up and compared to QBs like Rodgers and Luck when people talk about “most talented” QBs of all time, even if he might not be considered at the top of the list of “best” QBs of all time.

40. 40 eagleyankfan said at 11:37 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Stats are what they are – good/bad indifferent. Did he ride TD or Denver D? You don’t accidentally win 2 sb’s – back to back. I’d ask – why is Roger listed along with Elway? Is Marino overrated? – he never won.
    I’ll always remember Elway as the ‘come back kid’. He was pretty good in the 4th quarter – tough as nails. I’m not a Denver fan – but Elway was extremely special. Slaughtered in various SB’s? What a great accomplishment just to make ‘various’….Given the choice of Elway or Rogers – I’m taking Elway(and this is splitting hairs really)

41. 41 Tom33 said at 11:46 AM on October 18th, 2017:

you could still probably get punched in Cleveland if you bring up Elway’s name. That’s the last time I can remember the Browns being decent.

42. 42 DustyRyder71 said at 2:27 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Cleveland might have mixed emotions. Yeah, Elway killed the Browns, but he also famously spurned the city of Baltimore. They have to love that.

43. 43 Bert's Bells said at 11:55 AM on October 18th, 2017:

You don’t accidentally win two superbowls?

44. 44 Tom33 said at 11:55 AM on October 18th, 2017:

I wish I could upvote more than once!

45. 45 eagleyankfan said at 12:21 PM on October 18th, 2017:

He’s the most uncoordinated QB ever to play the game IMHO. I get that — BUT — Peyton didn’t win 2. Rogers and all his greatness – hasn’t won 2. Like I said – stats are what they are…and Eli looks like Jim Carey playing QB with that tutu on…but..2 SB’s are 2 SB’s…Multiple SB MVP’s Brady/Bradshaw/Montana/Starr — and …. Eli.

46. 46 Bert's Bells said at 1:18 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Are you sure about that Peyton stat?

47. 47 Tom33 said at 1:25 PM on October 18th, 2017:

you are correct – Peyton won 1 with Indy and 1 with Denver.

48. 48 eagleyankfan said at 7:12 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Correction…Elway – 2 – same team – Eli 2 – same Team. Peyton 1, Peyton 1.

49. 49 Tom33 said at 11:38 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Elway was a beast. He had a cannon for an arm and could also beat people with his legs. He also had that knack for 4th quarter and end-of-game heroics. If I recall – his achilles heal was that he threw too many ints.

His teams didn’t win Super Bowls until the end of his career. Either they didn’t have a running game or a good enough defense to win. But they always seemed to be in the conversation.

50. 50 laeagle said at 6:18 PM on October 18th, 2017:

They also hit some NFC buzzsaws when they did make it to the Super Bowl. Peak Walsh 49ers, peak Gibbs Redskins, peak Parcells Giants.

51. 51 since1961 said at 12:59 PM on October 18th, 2017:

In addition to the fine comments below, I’ll never forget ‘the Elway cross”, the mark the nose of the ball supposedly made on receivers’ chests.

52. 52 ChoTime said at 2:09 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Heh, a QB once told me this legend: Once John Elway threw the ball so hard, it knocked the receiver over.

I’m not sure if that’s physically possible, but I do love the image.

53. 53 Tumtum said at 1:41 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I remember him being a beast. I of course can’t really remember him before TD.

54. 54 FairOaks said at 2:17 PM on October 18th, 2017:

He had a great arm and a really quick release, and could run as well. And a talent for winning at end of games.

He had a head coach (Reeves) who could never get him a ground game though — he had to carry the offense passing. He managed to go deep in the playoffs quite often despite that, including those three Super Bowls where they got destroyed (the NFC won 13 Super Bowls in a row, in that era). It took Mike Shanahan to come with a good running game that they turned into the best team, and ended the NFC’s reign by winning two Super Bowls then retiring.

For all of Rodgers’ talent, he’s played in one Super Bowl. Last year was the first year that Green Bay has won two playoff games since that 2010 Super Bowl. Lost the first game twice, and went 1-1 three other years. He also needs something of a supporting cast.

Dan Marino was another otherworldly talent that never had a good running game, though wasn’t nearly as mobile.

55. 55 Dragon_Eagle said at 8:47 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Excellent summary. Elway was all of the above and he was Tom Brady level competitive. Guy just found ways to rally the team around him and pull out games he had no business winning.

56. 56 anon said at 11:15 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Fair to talk about the leap Goff has made over the last season? Is sean mcvay going to be coach of the year at age 27?

57. 57 sonofdman said at 11:26 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Goff has looked good and McVay is doing a great job. Goff started off really hot, but has slowed down the last two weeks against two really good pass defenses (Seattle and Jacksonville), even though the Rams got the win against Jacksonville. It will be interesting to see how he plays the rest of the season.

Off the top of my head, the shortlist for coach of the year based on the results so far should include (in no particular order): Reid, McVay, Pederson, and Bowles. Anyone I am missing?

58. 58 Someguy77 said at 12:58 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Even if the Eagles go 12-4, I still would give it to Bowles if the Jets end up 9-7/8-8.

This Eagles’ team was predicted to win 8-10 games this year by most and it was fairly acknowledged they have upgraded the roster this offseason.

Just about every publication I saw had the Jets winning anywhere from 1-4 games and rightfully so after they had McCown as their starting QB & a bunch of nobodies on offense.

59. 59 FairOaks said at 2:00 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Going from 8 to 12 wins is really hard. But yeah, Bowles may deserve it based on that roster. It’s just very rare that a .500 coach will get that award — usually teams that unexpectedly made the playoffs, or teams expected to just contend but end up dominating.

60. 60 Insomniac said at 3:50 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Nah. Doug is definitely getting it if he goes 12-4.

The voting will likely be

1. Doug
    2. Andy
    3. McVay
    4. Bowles
    5. McDermott

61. 61 Julescat said at 1:09 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Buffalo Bills coach?

they were accused of trading away all talent and tanking the season. They’ve been decent with less talent than Rams.

62. 62 sonofdman said at 1:21 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Good one. Add McDermott to the list.

63. 63 ChoTime said at 12:18 PM on October 18th, 2017:

It’s impressive. He went from having put up the worst stats of any QB, ever, to looking like an above-average or better QB.

64. 64 eagleyankfan said at 12:24 PM on October 18th, 2017:

and producing(so far) the top 4 rb (in rushing yards) in the nfl…

65. 65 Tumtum said at 1:40 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Young guys don’t get the red-shirt year anymore, I think Goff could be a great example of why it was a good idea.

66. 66 ChoTime said at 1:57 PM on October 18th, 2017:

There’s lots of evidence for why it’s a good idea, and Goff is part of it. But got damn, how bad of an offensive coach is Jeff Fisher?

67. 67 Tumtum said at 9:36 PM on October 18th, 2017:

He was just a pretty junky coach in the end really, wasn’t he. I wonder if it was an inability to adapt to newer practice limits. I imagine the disciplinarian role is harder to pull off when guys hardly practice during the season.

68. 68 FairOaks said at 1:57 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Or, as mentioned, not having Jeff Fisher as your head coach. (Or possibly any defensive-minded HC, who can’t find a good OC.). Bradford spent his entire career in that situation, until Philly. By then the bad habits were so ingrained it was going to take a while to fix them, if that was even possible.

69. 69 sonofdman said at 2:33 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Didn’t Bradford start out his career with Pat Shurmur as his head coach?

70. 70 FairOaks said at 9:10 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Spagnuolo. Shurmur was the OC his first year. McDaniels the next year, and basically a new OC almost every year after that.

71. 71 sonofdman said at 10:17 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Oh yeah, that’s right.

72. 72 Tumtum said at 9:34 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Yeah you can make that argument. Any guy who doesn’t get good coaching will probably struggle. I think guys with good coaching and not enough development can become permanently damaged goods as well a la’ David Carr.

73. 73 eagleyankfan said at 12:23 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Or Fisher voted the most inept HC of the decade?

74. 74 Tumtum said at 1:39 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Lot of season to go yet.

75. 75 Ark87 said at 5:59 PM on October 18th, 2017:

The Rams dramatic turn-around in year 1 of McVay’s head coaching career is definitely a strong narrative for the award (if he can keep it up and make the play offs particularly). And that’s really what these awards are about, narrative. I think the prime candidates are McVay as a wildly successful rookie head coach flipping what were thought of as a bad QB and team around. If McVay falls off, the next guy up is Andy. There’s been a wave of people remembering Andy Reid is a good coach all around the league, so he’s up for a lifetime achievement award if he grabs the #1 AFC seed. I think Doug is right there after him. Good story of people starting the year saying he’s a bad coach, didn’t deserve his job, not qualified, Schwartz is breathing down his neck…and turns around and rallies the team for a great season (if we keep this up).

Anyone else have any strong candidates?

76. 76 Bert's Bells said at 6:07 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I agree with you.

I haven’t seen enough of the Rams to have an opinion, but I will say Dug is doing a great job with all the obvious coach-y stuff like clock management, challenges, play calling, 2PAT, 4th down, et cetera.

I think the Jets are playing above their talent. I’ve seen a few of their games. Bowles is doing a great job with them.

77. 77 Dragon_Eagle said at 8:49 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Goff is also an excellent example of how much the success of top drafts picks, especially QBS, depends on the coaching staff. If Tom Brady were drafted by the Detroit Lions, no one here would know his name today.

78. 78 A_T_G said at 11:56 AM on October 18th, 2017:

Hey guys, I got in on this deal this morning. I don’t know if it is still running, but 76% off is tough to beat.

79. 79 P_P_K said at 5:07 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Hopefully all those young guys will start to click, and stay healthy, and this could be the start of a really fun team.

80. 80 A_T_G said at 9:09 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I haven’t really followed basketball since Jordan retired. I figure now is a good time to give it another shot. #trusttheprocess

81. 81 Someguy77 said at 1:07 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Eagles have now become favorites to win the NFC in some Vegas books and Wentz has dropped to 4-1 to win the MVP trailing only Brady.

82. 82 Ray888 said at 2:07 PM on October 18th, 2017:

NFL version of rewarding merit: Dallas gets 2018 draft.

83. 83 Guy Media said at 6:38 PM on October 18th, 2017:

It should be perpetually in the Mecca of football; Philadelphia.

84. 84 FairOaks said at 10:13 PM on October 18th, 2017:

It really should go to cities who can’t host a Super Bowl, but gotta be nice to Jerry I guess. Maybe to counterbalance the Elliott suspension.

85. 85 RC5000 said at 3:08 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Wowie!!!

Chris Long is donating the rest of his year’s salary to increase educational equality.

86. 86 Bert's Bells said at 3:14 PM on October 18th, 2017:

That will counter Jerry Jones’ financial support of educational inequality.

87. 87 Julescat said at 3:29 PM on October 18th, 2017:

proof?

88. 88 Bert's Bells said at 4:03 PM on October 18th, 2017:

89. 89 Julescat said at 4:10 PM on October 18th, 2017:

what’s worse?

your bizarre need to make a liberal talking point on a thread about football. Your use of campaign donations to try to prove something that has nothing to do with them or the fact that you actually use the fake news CNN site?

90. 90 Bert's Bells said at 4:15 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I’d say your constant urge to bring up your seething hatred for LIBURULZ is worse.

91. 91 Bert's Bells said at 4:16 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I mean, really –you go so far as to defend Jerry Jones from a baseless, stupid slur. That’s messed up.

92. 92 Julescat said at 4:49 PM on October 18th, 2017:

“a baseless, stupid slur”

nuff said

93. 93 Bert's Bells said at 4:58 PM on October 18th, 2017:

derp.

94. 94 Sean E said at 6:09 PM on October 18th, 2017:

It’s easy kudos for these guys. You have to remember that Philadelphia area voted 95% for Hillary. They don’t really encounter different views very often, so congratulating each other for being smart liberals is a sure-fire way to get those sweet, sweet kudos.

95. 95 laeagle said at 11:45 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Just a tip: those sweet, sweet liberal kudos that you’re evidently jonesing for won’t come flowing to people who post “First”.

96. 96 Duracell said at 7:00 PM on October 18th, 2017:

CNN has its litany of issues, but I would hazard a guess that it’s more factual than wherever you typically get your news.

97. 97 or____ said at 3:46 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Well played sir

98. 98 Tom33 said at 3:36 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I saw this – can’t believe he’s playing this year for free. He made a challenge to get fans involved. Link here:

He’s having a competition between fans in Philadelphia, Boston and St. Louis.

99. 99 Julescat said at 3:48 PM on October 18th, 2017:

why not challenge other players. It’s one thing to take a knee and say you support a cause. Long actually is working to help people.

100. 100 KillaKadafi said at 4:57 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Kap donated $1M last year and has been actively involved in community work prior to this

101. 101 Julescat said at 5:08 PM on October 18th, 2017:

that is also good (except for maybe that one controversial donation). Hopefully Long can spur a movement in the NFL.

102. 102 CrackSammich said at 7:59 PM on October 18th, 2017:

What do you hope that movement accomplishes?

103. 103 SteveH said at 9:57 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I think we need to do more to help the poor corporations of this country.

104. 104 ChoTime said at 10:01 PM on October 18th, 2017:

They have a party for that.

105. 105 CrackSammich said at 10:12 PM on October 18th, 2017:

two.

106. 106 ChoTime said at 11:06 AM on October 19th, 2017:

🙂

107. 107 Ark87 said at 5:42 PM on October 18th, 2017:

A lot of the guys are. Protests aside, professional athletes tend to be much more involved with their communities than your average Joe, just by nature of their brand. That might be too cynical, I know in high school and college student athletes are asked if not required to do things like volunteer work, so it is very much a part of what they do.

It will be interesting going forward. The protests have done their job, people are talking. Next comes using that spotlight to accomplish something. And guys like Malcolm Jenkins have been putting a lot into doing just that.

I think politically the next step for protesters is to trade the image of all athletes rising for the anthem for some other sort of political capital. Stepping off the anthem so Goodell gets the brand image he wants, and getting legit avenues for grievances in return is a win win. The straw man about “disrespecting the military” was always a distraction to avoid the real conversation. Killing that straw man makes it harder and harder to run from the real conversations. I think that is the next phase to be transitioning into.

108. 108 Julescat said at 5:53 PM on October 18th, 2017:

but if people in the military say they felt disrespected then their opinions are as legitimate as the players who kneel. you can’t say it’s a straw man.

109. 109 Ark87 said at 6:07 PM on October 18th, 2017:

The kneeling was suggested by Nate Boyer, a military veteran, as a respectful alternative to sitting. Protesters compromised.

It’s a straw man that people avoid talking about what the protesters are protesting for, and absolutely strategic. Exclusively talking about outrage over the manner of protest.

110. 110 Julescat said at 7:07 PM on October 18th, 2017:

the teams that all kneeled in London for the US anthem and then stood for God Save the Queen did insult the military. Especially Jacksonville which is basically a military city.

There is a proper time and place for protest. That wasn’t it. Maybe the conversation in Jacksonville can begin when the players apologize?

111. 111 sonofdman said at 7:22 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I’m having trouble putting into words just how ridiculous and condescending your comment is. So you are only willing to have a conversation about police brutality, extra-judicial killing of black people, and systematic racism prevalent in this country if the black players who knelt first apologize to people whose feelings were hurt when they peacefully protested by kneeling during the national anthem?

112. 112 CrackSammich said at 7:58 PM on October 18th, 2017:

When is the proper time and place for protest?

113. 113 ChoTime said at 8:02 PM on October 18th, 2017:

When no one notices, of course.

114. 114 A_T_G said at 9:16 PM on October 18th, 2017:

You seem to be extremely aware of perceived slights to the military. With military is my family tree I can appreciate that. Are there any other recent happenings that caught you attention as disrespectful to veterans? I’m curious.

115. 115 laeagle said at 6:11 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I think this is where conversation can help. A dialogue between the people who feel disrespected and those protesting can help people on both sides understand the other. For example, ask black veterans or currently serving military how they feel about the issue at hand, for example. Dialogue is key, because there is clearly something worth raising a stink about, and at the end of the day, it’s not about “disrespecting the flag” or “disrespecting our military”.

What is harmful is willful division for cheap political gain, which a lot of people have engaged in. It’s a shame that’s coming from “the top”, so to speak. Or willful ignorance of the issues being raised (see the tweet from Tomi Lahren, history’s most useless pundit, raising the question of “what are they protesting”?).

The biggest thing, though, that I think EVERYONE needs to realize is that citizens in a free country should not fetishize their symbols. The flag, the anthem, all of that are worth NOTHING except as symbols of something truly important. By themselves, they’re empty, they’re cheap cloth and a difficult-to-sing song. But they point at, and symbolize, concepts that are worthy of value. Namely things like freedom and equality. When our country isn’t doing as good a job at equality as it should, we need to honor our actual values instead of complaining about how the symbols of those values are treated. And also realize that freedom as a value means that one has a right to not fall in line to fetishize flags or anthems or anything else. Freedom means the right to protest, and exercising that right is one of the most American things a person can do. The right to protest, the right to be free, the right to be treated equally before the law: that’s what veterans have fought and died for. Not colorful banners. Not “moments of silence” before a game.

Again, the symbol is not as important as the thing it symbolizes.

116. 116 Ark87 said at 6:19 PM on October 18th, 2017:

always important to remember this country was founded on protest turned to vandalism turned to violence turned to revolution. Our founders we not some Patriotic nut jobs, they were idealists who held liberty and justice as sacred above all else, including their government and national identity. They tried to get changes done legitly at first, but no institution was above what they thought was right and wrong. And their grievance was as abstract as taxation without representation. Imagine what they would do if there were regiments of King George’s men in every neighborhood terrorizing the citizenry.

117. 117 laeagle said at 6:22 PM on October 18th, 2017:

“I don’t care what those guys were protesting when they dumped tea into the harbor. It was very disrespectful. If they wanted people to listen to them, they’d choose a better method.”

118. 118 sonofdman said at 7:08 PM on October 18th, 2017:

They were clearly protesting tea. Maybe they preferred coffee? Just like the NFL players are protesting the national anthem and the flag.

119. 119 laeagle said at 8:07 PM on October 18th, 2017:

A lot of people sacrificed for that tea, I don’t know how they could disrespect it so callously.

120. 120 A_T_G said at 9:03 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I would be a lot more comfortable with it if the dumped it in the harbor after we brewed a pot. Their timing disrespects all the farmers that sacrificed for those leaves.

121. 121 Bert's Bells said at 6:27 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Idealists who didn’t want to pay taxes and not have representation in parliament.

Ironically, they probably had more influence in the House of Lords than the population today has in Congress.

122. 122 Bert's Bells said at 6:25 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Commie claptrap.

123. 123 truehaynes said at 7:15 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Beautifully stated

124. 124 PudgyPanda said at 5:13 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Right on. Symbols too easily become “false gods”. Besides the protesters are making their position known on the subject of extremely unequal treatment before the law. They said nothing about flags or military, as others have pointed out.

125. 125 RobNE said at 7:55 AM on October 19th, 2017:

It is much easier to fetishize symbols than deal with complicated issues.

126. 126 PudgyPanda said at 5:07 AM on October 19th, 2017:

A Green Beret suggested kneeling to Kaepernik to begin with.
    Also veteransforkaep.com.

127. 127 unhinged said at 7:01 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I really don’t believe that players kneeling or sitting during the anthem are trying to facilitate conversation. There is a gross injustice being reinforced and ignored by political leaders in our society. The mainstream media does nothing more than report the numerous murders of unarmed black males. And then it reports the over-the-top reactions to the protests as if they are spontaneous acts of defiance for their own sake.
    The protests are keeping the injustice on the front burner. The point is to get the communities to indict ALL murderers and then convict them. Juries can be as racist and backward as the cowards who wear sheets, but letting their biases make a mockery of the law should alarm every American.

128. 128 PudgyPanda said at 5:05 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Totally agree on “strawman”.

129. 129 CrackSammich said at 7:52 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Hey, Julescat. What are the players protesting?

130. 130 daveH said at 8:04 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Chiefs x Redskins. . It sure was NOT the atrocities against the American Indian

131. 131 Julescat said at 8:58 PM on October 18th, 2017:

don’t know and since I like my football politics free I won’t bother to find out. in other words I’m taking a knee on their protest action. That’s not disrespecting their movement at all. right?

132. 132 CrackSammich said at 9:00 PM on October 18th, 2017:

For real. Tell me what their protest is about.

133. 133 Ray888 said at 11:22 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Goodell was asked that question today at his news conference. His answer was that it was about: mandatory sentencing & exorbitant bail.

134. 134 CrackSammich said at 11:26 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I suppose he’s not wrong on that part, but it’s pretty far down the list of complaints. I keep asking Julescat hoping the rhetorical exercise will get him to admit the inconvenient truths, but I don’t see it working. Maybe it will work on some of the observers here.

135. 135 Ray888 said at 11:53 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Goodell also included “opportunity”.

136. 136 PudgyPanda said at 5:03 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Why don’t you ask Malcolm Jenkins and Long. CNN did.

137. 137 CrackSammich said at 5:06 AM on October 19th, 2017:

I’m not sure how that’s relevant to what Julescat knows about their protest.

138. 138 PudgyPanda said at 5:20 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Jules cat knows about the players’ protest, as do you and I.
    It seems to me that his statement that he doesn’t wish to mix sports and politics could be taken at face value. By the way, I’ve been seeing quite a few comments on political – oriented sites that look a lot like yours. Attempting to deflect the conversation around the topic instead of directly on it.

139. 139 CrackSammich said at 5:32 AM on October 19th, 2017:

How is my asking directly for Julescat to address the intention of the protest rather than the noise around it a deflection from the conversation?

It’s an earnest question. Either he won’t admit what it’s about because he doesn’t like the answer, or he really doesn’t know and is being led by obviously few news sources that he consumes. I’m going to take the rather obvious jab as evidence that he *does* know, but is choosing to be stubborn. So, the question remains: What are the players protesting, Julescat?

EDIT: Further, I strongly disagree that I am changing any sort of subject when I ask direct follow ups. For example, when he states that he hopes the actions “spur a movement in the NFL”, asking him what that movement accomplishes is relevant. Or when he stated that there is a “proper time and place” for protest, I believe it to be very relevant to ask what those time and places are.

140. 140 RobNE said at 7:53 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Try google.

But why does it matter? Do you or anyone get to decide whether someone else’s protest is permissible?

141. 141 CrackSammich said at 9:24 PM on October 19th, 2017:

Maybe I’m doing a poor job of communicating here, because what I’m saying is that Julescat either doesn’t know what the players are protesting or is purposely ignoring it. I don’t see how any of your post has anything to do with that or remotely applies to me.

142. 142 GermanEagle said at 5:52 PM on October 18th, 2017:

*BeatTheSkinsRollCall

Like if you wanna beat that team from Washington so bad!

143. 143 GENETiC-FREAK said at 5:56 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Sooo bad!

144. 144 Guy Media said at 6:35 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Beat em!

145. 145 Howie Littlefinger said at 8:13 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Bury them in a bowl o brown

146. 146 P_P_K said at 8:28 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Iggles Blitz click bait, but I can’t resist.

147. 147 CrackSammich said at 8:40 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Downvote for excessive thirst.

148. 148 Insomniac said at 6:11 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Politics ruin everything

149. 149 Crus57 said at 7:55 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Alternate title: Cleveland Browns QBs, a history.

150. 150 daveH said at 8:02 PM on October 18th, 2017:

151. 151 unhinged said at 7:08 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I like LaGarrette Blount’s reaction to the hype. The Eagles have won 5 games aka nothing.

152. 152 Guy Media said at 7:15 PM on October 18th, 2017:

All the more reason to feel strong about avoiding a choke vs. Washington.

153. 153 unhinged said at 7:47 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I may be a bit more selective about using he c word than you. I believe that Washington is better than average, and very capable of beating the Eagles. If that happens monday night, there will likely be a multitude of factors contributing to the outcome. I don’t believe the Eagles have to choke to lose. But I’ll probably be as pissed as you if they do.

154. 154 Guy Media said at 8:17 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Winning that game is key to burying a hated division rival. I’m going to throw a lot out there worse than “choke” if they lose. I 100% agree with you that they’re a solid team, but I want that W. Prime time home game coming off of a mini-bye….

155. 155 BlindChow said at 12:36 AM on October 19th, 2017:

The Eagles have definitely “choked” in big games in the past. But I agree that every loss isn’t a choke. If they play well (especially in the turnover dept) then I won’t be too put out by a loss. They already beat Washington once this year…

Sometimes the other team just gets lucky (a mishandled fumble, a pass that bounces off the receiver’s hands and into the air, Pete Morelli officiating) and your team doesn’t get the win. 5-2 won’t be the end of the world (I tell myself while hyperventilating).

156. 156 Tumtum said at 9:39 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I kinda feel like this team doesn’t choke. Maybe the hype builds and they will at some point. Right now, it feels like if they lose it is just because they were worse on that day.

Working in D.C there are a bunch of Redskins fans at work (less than you probably would think.. transient town and all). There is a group of them doing this thing where they won’t even look at me until next week. It is pretty hilarious.

157. 157 Guy Media said at 9:41 PM on October 18th, 2017:

I hope you’re right that they’re going to handle business.

158. 158 wee2424 said at 8:24 PM on October 18th, 2017:

DP has really installed a great mindset with this team. Credit goes to the vets as well, but the young players seem to really buy into as well.

159. 159 Tumtum said at 9:36 PM on October 18th, 2017:

qoutes please?

160. 160 unhinged said at 10:18 PM on October 18th, 2017:

161. 161 GermanEagle said at 9:23 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Minutes restriction is some fucking bullshit.

162. 162 Guy Media said at 9:23 PM on October 18th, 2017:

So are the refs and the soft rebounding.

163. 163 Guy Media said at 9:25 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Seriously, what the fuck is a Gortat and why does it have 17 rebounds?

164. 164 Sokhar20 said at 12:00 AM on October 19th, 2017:

The Polish Hammer.

165. 165 GermanEagle said at 9:31 PM on October 18th, 2017:

HOW many turnovers did Sixers have? 48?!

166. 166 Guy Media said at 9:35 PM on October 18th, 2017:

2 too many.

167. 167 Tumtum said at 9:37 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Those wizards casted a spell! Just glad I didn’t have to be there…

168. 168 GermanEagle said at 9:36 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Go birds.

169. 169 daveH said at 10:07 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Watching PTi, they showed the Cowboys schedule ahead. . As of now theit data showed D ALL Ass had a 51% chance of beating us .. they are favorites!

170. 170 SteveH said at 11:58 PM on October 18th, 2017:

Sixers looked pretty good even in the loss, but my god Fultz needs to figure out a free throw shooting form ASAP, because whatever he is doing now is the ugliest thing since Shawn Marion went to the FT line.

171. 171 GermanEagle said at 5:44 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Worse than Shaq?!

172. 172 Rob Jarratt said at 8:22 AM on October 19th, 2017:

He must be doing a workaround with his shoulder problem. Simmons, on the other hand, shot soft back-spinning free throws that begged to go through the hole. It gives me hope that he can develop his outside shooting as another weapon.

173. 173 CrackSammich said at 3:18 AM on October 19th, 2017:

So, state of the NFC:
    -Aaron Rodgers out for season.
    -Matt Stafford sprained his ankle and was holding his ribs after taking a huge hit mid game.
    -Jameis Winston sprained the AC Joint in his throwing shoulder.
    -Cam didn’t look right after that endzone dive. Not sure if it’s for a new injury or for the one he was nursing prior to the season, but he’s been limited in practice all week.
    -Carson Palmer is old.
    -All of Eli’s receivers are gone.
    -Sam Bradford lol.
    -Zeke suspension looming.

The only downside is that we play almost none of these teams the rest of the season.

174. 174 CrackSammich said at 4:25 AM on October 19th, 2017:

In the state of the AFC:
    -Luck’s career might be over, unless he learns to throw with the other arm. It’s so much worse than they’re letting on, and I can’t believe they are letting him even touch a football right now.
    -Carr broke his neck. His fucking neck. And apparently that’s a 2 week return time table. Where are the adults to stop this man from himself?
    -Mariota is already playing on one leg.
    -Rothlisburger is old.
    -It’s getting harder to pretend Brady isn’t old yet.

175. 175 daveH said at 7:21 AM on October 19th, 2017:

It must be a record seasonseason for injuries .. they must know, but that’s not a statistic they’d ever share.

176. 176 GermanEagle said at 5:44 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Cousins, anyone?!

177. 177 ChoTime said at 11:05 AM on October 19th, 2017:

Basically, you’re saying this is the year.

178. 178 GermanEagle said at 12:36 PM on October 19th, 2017:

Don’t be surprised to see Josh Norman on the field on Monday night.

Thank me later.