A Tale of Two Teams

Posted: November 22nd, 2017 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 181 Comments »

Donovan McNabb, Terrell Owens and Brian Dawkins got the 2004 Eagles off to a 9-1 start, the same record the current team has. There are plenty of similarities in the two teams.

Both had star QBs who were drafted second overall. TO and Alshon Jeffery are big WRs who can outmuscle DBs. Both had outstanding DLs. Malcolm Jenkins and Dawk were outstanding Safeties and big time leaders. Both were strong on STs.

There are some differences and I wrote about the biggest difference for PE.com.

Put simply, physicality.

That team was all about the passing game. This team is much more about the run game. That means winning the line of scrimmage and physically dominating your opponent.

The low point of the 2004 regular season was a 27-3 beatdown by the Steelers. They destroyed the Eagles. It was ugly. I remember re-watching the game and just laughing at one run play where Darwin Walker was driven 10 yards off the ball. 10 yards!

The Eagles lost the Super Bowl (in case you forgot) to the Patriots. That was another AFC team with a strong OL and a big powerful DL. Those teams controlled the LOS and beat the Eagles.

This team hasn’t been beaten up by anyone. The Chiefs did win in Week 2, but a big part of that game was the struggles of Isaac Seumalo at LG. I firmly believe the Eagles would win a rematch (even if the Chiefs weren’t struggling, but were still playing well).

The 2017 Eagles have also been more dominant. Check out some scores.

34-7
33-10
51-23
37-9

The 2004 team, through the first 10 games…

30-8
49-21
27-6

The 2017 team has scored at least 20 points in every game. . The 2004 team won games 15-10 and 19-9. They only put up 3 points in the loss to the Steelers.

The other key difference is the TO factor. He came to the Eagles and brought talent, attitude and swagger. His presence changed the entire personality of the team. That was a good thing in the short run, but proved to be unsustainable because he was emotionally fragile and highly volatile. The Eagles also went from being Donovan McNabb’s team to McNabb and TO’s team.

Carson Wentz is the leader of the 2017 Eagles. Offseason additions like Jeffery, Chris Long, LeGarrette Blount, Tim Jernigan, Torrey Smith, Patrick Robinson and Ronald Darby embrace him rather than splitting the locker room. This is a united team with great chemistry.

This team just feels better. I expect this bunch to continue playing at a high level.

It will be interesting to compare and contrast the teams when all is said and done.

Decent.

This is kinda funny.

Ajayi is fitting in nicely so far. Right now he looks like a steal. Let’s just hope he can keep this up.

Elliott did some kicking today. He’s still not able to fully practice, but it seems like he’ll be ready to go.

181 Comments on “A Tale of Two Teams”

1. 1 Michael Henning said at 11:32 PM on November 22nd, 2017:

Fuc* Dallas!

2. 2 Michael Henning said at 11:33 PM on November 22nd, 2017:

15-1 or 14-2 with Dallas winning squeaker against back ups!

3. 3 Michael Henning said at 11:42 PM on November 22nd, 2017:

Nobody!! Even Bellicheat & Wayne Brady will stop this team!! 1-0 every week until we finally get that pretty trophy!

4. 4 daveH said at 8:26 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Wayne Brady takes Dave for a menacing ride … Chappelle made wayne brady great for a day !

5. 5 greenblood0118 said at 10:19 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

One of my favorite episodes, LOL! “Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b*tch?”

6. 6 Bert's Bells said at 6:59 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Yeah, I think Wayne Brady might be too much even for Doug.

7. 7 A_T_G said at 8:27 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

*NOT even…

8. 8 Jake and Elmo said at 12:04 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Love that the team is running the ball more in this era. Reid’s disdain for running the ball may have cost him a trip to the SB in 2002 and/or 2003.

9. 9 KillaKadafi said at 5:23 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Career back-up QBs understand the true value of a running game, thankfully

10. 10 Guy Media said at 5:40 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

2003 wasn’t his fault, the guy you’d use to run it blew out his triceps vs. Washington in the regular season finale and you were stuck with slow Duce Staley as your best RB in the playoffs.

11. 11 P_P_K said at 2:46 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

His disdain for the running game cost me some money on games I’m convinced the Eagles could have won (or at least covered the spread).
    P.S. Great avatar.

12. 12 Masked Man said at 12:17 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Andy and the Chiefs just signed Darelle Revis per NFL Network.

13. 13 SteveH said at 12:23 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Revis is done for, odd signing. What they really need are run stuffers not more corners.

14. 14 Masked Man said at 12:24 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Desperation due to the injury of their key guy and lack of depth.

15. 15 SteveH said at 12:23 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Lets go santa, give me that early x-mas gift and let Dallas take another L tomorrow.

16. 16 Masked Man said at 12:35 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Wednesday was the 5 year anniversary of the Butt Fumble boys!

How did we miss that????

17. 17 laeagle said at 3:22 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Took me a minute to parse that, during which I was trying to remember who the “butt fumble boys” were.

18. 18 Guy Media said at 5:39 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

different web site

19. 19 Masked Man said at 11:35 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

I will insert quotation marks.

20. 20 P_P_K said at 2:45 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I think Mark is out of football. I wonder if he has a sense of humor about the fumble.

21. 21 CrackSammich said at 6:06 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

“#Eagles Doug Pederson on Jake Elliott: “I do believe and I feel in the bottom of my heart that Jake will be ready.””

That’s not suspicious at all.

22. 22 Guy Media said at 6:08 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

He’s not allowed to project continued recovery based on current progress?

23. 23 CrackSammich said at 6:11 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

It’s of the “The lady doth protest too much, methinks” variety.

Speaking of which, we need to talk about Legal Seafood. I had not considered the legality of your offerings until you brought it up, but now I’m gonna need to see some proof.

24. 24 Guy Media said at 6:17 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Not sure how I can speak to the legality of chain seafood, I prefer to hit up the local Hill’s and cook my own.

25. 25 Always Hopeful said at 6:08 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

This season has been surreal. It reminds me of the 2001 playoff run. We’re exponentially ahead of schedule. The NFC has some seemingly good teams this year. It’s going to be fun seeing this season unfold

26. 26 Guy Media said at 6:34 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

What is odd about talking 2004 vs. 2017 is that the 2004 team was McNabb’s 6th year while 2017 in Wentz’s 2nd. I really see this team more analogous to the 2000 team when it comes to what our expectations were entering the year.

27. 27 P_P_K said at 2:44 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I’m with you. I can hardly believe so much has happened so fast. During the pre-season, I was still in “wait and see” mode about Carson being the real deal.

28. 28 Sb2bowl said at 8:19 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Happy thanksgiving! May this be one of four major holidays for us in the next three months.

Thanksgiving

Christmas

New Years Eve/Day

Super Bowl victory parade

29. 29 daveH said at 8:19 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Happy Thanksgiving all. Enjoy your bird(s).
    The only Charlie Brown episode i can stand is the one about the Indians saving the pilgrims. Thanks to the Indians indeed.

30. 30 Dragon_Eagle said at 8:22 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Happy Thanksgiving, friends.

Go Bolts!

31. 31 A_T_G said at 9:55 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Go Lions, Bolts, and Giants!

(For a few weeks now, I have gagged on rooting for WAS. Now I get to root against them finally…and root for the Giants. Yuck.)

32. 32 A_T_G said at 8:26 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

That clip of Ajayi getting ribbed after a 70 yard run is hysterical. It is also this team’s personality. It reminds me of Mills saying he cut back across the field on his second interception return because he got teased the week before. Such a great family feel.

33. 33 A_T_G said at 9:55 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Well said.

34. 34 P_P_K said at 10:02 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Best team in the League. Best blog on the ‘net.

35. 35 P_P_K said at 10:07 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Tommy writes, “I firmly believe the Eagles would win a rematch (even if the Chiefs weren’t struggling, but were still playing well).”
    I firmly believe the Eagles would win a rematch because Doug now appreciates the value of the running game. That game had the Eagles with a 46:17 pass:run ratio, in which Blount didn’t get a carry.

36. 36 ColorSgt said at 2:17 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Yeah I thought it was really strange Blount didn’t get to run in that game. I didn’t understand it.

37. 37 P_P_K said at 2:43 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I hated it at that time. Imagine what we would do to the Chiefs in a rematch now that Blount, Clement, and Ajayi are running on all cylinders.

38. 38 Dave said at 10:20 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Whelp, CBS and Dish shit the bed for the Cowboys game today. It’s going to be a weird Thanksgiving sitting on the recliner with a full belly and not having a game on TV. It’s going to be an awkward 3 hours with the family.

39. 39 or____ said at 12:03 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

God damn capitalism

40. 40 Dave said at 5:58 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I ended signing up for the free trial of CBS All Access. I’ll cancel after the game.

41. 41 or____ said at 8:43 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Well played.

42. 42 Stephen E. said at 12:42 PM on November 24th, 2017:

It’s called an antenna.

I already have coaxial ports in the rooms with TVs. When I finally disconnect the cable TV, I’ll plug my outdoor antenna into the network.

43. 43 ColorSgt said at 10:27 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

While rewatching the game, I found this pretty amazing. It might have been more obvious to others, or mentioned before… but the Eagles were still losing with 10:59 left in the 3rd quarter. With 10:43 left in the fourth the score was 37-9 good guys. In almost exactly 15 minutes, they scored 30 unanswered points.

44. 44 Always Hopeful said at 12:06 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Didn’t notice the time, but noticed how dominant they were in every phase. The only play that got me upset in the second half was Ertz’s 2 pt conversion fumble!

I feel like I’ve never seen an Eagles team like this. It’s been amazing

45. 45 daveH said at 1:03 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I was trying to figure out how and why that first KO was so bad

46. 46 CrackSammich said at 10:29 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

47. 47 Masked Man said at 11:31 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

“Boom Sack-a-DAK-a!”

There’s 47 sacks in the last 26 games.

There’s 22 already this year for Dak.

48. 48 P_P_K said at 11:00 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Speaking of the two teams, come the playoffs I am rooting, for the first time in my life, for the Pats. Eagles winning the Super Bowl will be sweet, winning it with the blood of Brady and Belichick on the field would be the best.

49. 49 ColorSgt said at 11:17 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

As nice as that would be, I’ll take anyone but the patriots. They will find a way to win. Its just what they do, whether it’s legal or not.

50. 50 Dragon_Eagle said at 1:58 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I’m torn on these reasons. On one hand, best way to announce arriva, claim the dynasty torch is ti vanquish the evil empire. But those fuckers cheat like hell.

I think at this point I just want a win. Next seasob we can go beat Belicheat*.

51. 51 P_P_K said at 2:41 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I must disagree with you and ColorSgt. The best way to vanquish the evil ones are to drive stakes into their hearts as soon as possible.

52. 52 ColorSgt said at 2:53 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

The patriots don’t have a heart.

53. 53 P_P_K said at 3:46 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Hard to argue.

54. 54 Dude said at 2:01 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I’m rooting for anyone but the Steelers because my wife is a fan and she won’t love me if the Eagles win.

55. 55 P_P_K said at 2:40 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Better load up on lovin’ now, just in case.

56. 56 CrackSammich said at 11:30 AM on November 23rd, 2017:

Whoa, where’s all this negativity coming from?

57. 57 kajomo said at 1:00 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

If we get HFA we will have earned it. Teams never seem to want to help us out. Skins choke away a game last week. Lions are literally fumbling this game away. We may need to win 14 games to secure HFA

58. 58 GermanEagle said at 1:20 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Make it 15-1 for HFA. 14-2 for a 1st round bye.

Don’t remember a year when it was so hard to achieve that…

59. 59 Bert's Bells said at 1:35 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

May be wrong here, but even if MINN and NOLA win out the Eagles would hold the 14-2 tiebreakers. No question if the loss is against the Raiders.

60. 60 CrackSammich said at 1:50 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

We don’t play either head to head, so it would go to the conference record. We’re currently 7-0. MIN and NO are both 6-1. If they both win out, we can *only* lose to the Raiders and keep home field before it goes to the other tie breakers. We’re certainly not going to win based on strength of schedule.

61. 61 kajomo said at 1:36 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I believe we have the tie breaker so 14-2 would win it

62. 62 ColorSgt said at 1:07 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Happy Thanksgiving Tommy and gang!

63. 63 daveH said at 1:07 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Six packs of PBRs and Yuengling to ALL, heres hoping for a wing and a pawade.

64. 64 Howie Littlefinger said at 1:08 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

The lions are inept. Keenum looks ver Folesy to me when I watch.
    Yea that was a nice play, but should it have worked?

65. 65 CrackSammich said at 2:01 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

The unstoppable juggernaut that is… Case Keenum.

66. 66 kajomo said at 3:14 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Imagine making Matt Stafford the highest paid player in the NFL? I can’t wait for Jerry to do the same with Dak. It only works if that player is truly elite.

67. 67 Fufina said at 3:39 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Disagree to be honest. Obviously you are better to have Brady than Stafford but he is good enough to win a super bowl if you can build the right team around him.

68. 68 kajomo said at 3:56 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

He is such a loser. The guy is continually the QB on an underperforming team. He is th NFC north version of tony Romo. Good enough to get paid, but not good enough to be worth it

69. 69 Howie Littlefinger said at 3:59 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

This could read as commentary on Cousins too

70. 70 Insomniac said at 3:49 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Kai Forbath continues to be the bane of my fantasy team. Come back soon Jake the make 🙁

71. 71 Howie Littlefinger said at 3:51 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

How does Caldwell still have a job in this league

72. 72 Insomniac said at 3:53 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

The same reason why Marvin Lewis and Chuck Pagano still have jobs. No one really knows.

73. 73 Patrick said at 4:00 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Caldwell and Lewis has to basically survive by the fact that they build teams who are not bad enough to get heat from the owner, but never actually any good. Marvin Lewis saw some very good succes with a super strong staff, but without that strong staff he looks incredibly mediocre and hasn’t been able to deal with that. Also, their orgs haven’t really helped them with creating teams, or with the Bengals its probably more keeping the teams together. They basically let everyone on the offense go, but Dalton and AJ Green. Kinda predictable that they’re gonna suck with Dalton at QB, without an OL, and thus no run game, and no targets because everyone triples AJ Green as soon as Eifert gets injured.

The Colts front office is just a joke. Like, they’re actually as worse than the Browns’ FO.

74. 74 Insomniac said at 4:10 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

The Bengals stay where they are because they’re afraid of change.

The Colts are what you said.

75. 75 wee2424 said at 1:41 AM on November 24th, 2017:

After the AJ Mccaron (check spelling) fiasco I don’t think anyone is as bad as the Browns.

76. 76 Patrick said at 8:58 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Ruining and wasting Andrew Luck > Failing to get mediocre at best AJ McCaron.

Also, say what you will about their mistakes. The Browns FO have slowly added started to add a talent core to their roster. Theres plenty of criticisms, because they surely haven’t been very good at it, but the Colts have been even worse. The talent on that Colts roster have dramatically dropped. They are new, and we’ll see how they continue but that org is sickly and I think its because Irsay meddles too much.

77. 77 wee2424 said at 9:44 AM on November 24th, 2017:

True to all, but I think Cleveland gets the award for length of suckinness (it’s been forever now), and the amount of gaffes.

78. 78 Howie Littlefinger said at 4:00 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Yea true. I wonder if these guys are proud of themselves. Caldwell looks clueless

79. 79 unhinged said at 5:32 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

If you look at how they are now as opposed to how they were when he took over, I think he deserves some credit. The FO has stuck with Stafford, and he’s been consistently uneven, and it’s not like they have had a strong record in the draft.

80. 80 Corry said at 4:01 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I’m just not impressed by the Vikings…they’re a good team but they just don’t look that great.

81. 81 kajomo said at 4:05 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

We would shut down their run and force Case to beat us. I just don’t see that happening

82. 82 Insomniac said at 4:07 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

If the Lions had a run game that could keep that defense on their toes then I think they might have won this game. Luckily we have a run game.

83. 83 Corry said at 4:07 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

When Doug isn’t calling 18 passes in a half.

84. 84 Insomniac said at 4:08 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

So true

85. 85 GermanEagle said at 4:05 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

STILL… they’re 9-2

86. 86 Corry said at 4:11 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

And that’s not really a fluke, but they were just….unimpressive I guess.

87. 87 Howie Littlefinger said at 4:06 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Case Keenum having a 27-2 type year.

88. 88 Masked Man said at 4:09 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Would like to see our defense stand up to Case, Latavius and those wideouts. Lions are not much competition this year.

89. 89 Dragon_Eagle said at 4:28 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Fuck Dallas and Tex Schramm.

Go Bolts!

90. 90 unhinged said at 5:28 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I won’t disparage any GM who could not get along with Jerry Jones.

91. 91 Corry said at 4:50 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

This is just redundant at this point but if Dallas can’t run the ball Dak isn’t winning a damn thing.

92. 92 ChoTime said at 4:56 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Whatever formula Football Outsiders uses, it has the Eagles as the top pick for the Superbowl now. From underdog to juggernaut in 9 games…

93. 93 Howie Littlefinger said at 4:59 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Dak has some Bradford in his game.

94. 94 Ankerstjernen said at 5:43 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Bradford throws a much better deep ball. He also reads defenses.

95. 95 Howie Littlefinger said at 5:47 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

He also is very happy to dink and dak 😉

96. 96 Howie Littlefinger said at 5:59 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Best proday ever

97. 97 Ankerstjernen said at 2:59 PM on November 25th, 2017:

More than you can say for Dak. A lot more, actually. Pro days mean attempting all kinds of different throws, not just 5 yard wide open crossers.

98. 98 Howie Littlefinger said at 5:50 PM on November 25th, 2017:

I mean I get your a Bradford guy clearly. Dak has unfortunately done more than Bradford in the NFL.

I’m just glad we have Wentz.

99. 99 Ankerstjernen said at 7:24 PM on November 25th, 2017:

Oh please no. I am not a Bradford guy. I just think he is clearly the more talented player. Says more about how I view Dak though. Bradford can at least throw the ball to all areas of the field, he has far superior arm talent. That is not exactly setting a high standard, but Dak is simply not capable of it – at least not yet.

100. 100 Ankerstjernen said at 7:25 PM on November 25th, 2017:

Oh also; We have Wentz! 🙂 We are both happy campers here!

101. 101 Ankerstjernen said at 5:41 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Watching Dak Prescott play QB without the leagues most dominant run game is fun – if you enjoy an endless row of checkdowns for five yard completions short of the sticks. We are seeing the limitations folks, it is all being reveiled.

102. 102 Dave said at 5:56 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

His confidence looks shot.

103. 103 Ankerstjernen said at 6:24 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

In fairness to him he has no reason to be confident seeing as he is not good enough to win without an elite O-line, RB, WR and TE on his side. I think he is simply overmatched and looks like a dude who is just realising that it doesnt matter very much what the Dallas media pundits are saying about during the week you once you step onto the field and play ball.

104. 104 Dave said at 6:35 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

His elite O-line, WR, and TE are playing. He is only missing his RB on offense.

Edit: i just realized Zach Martin is in concussion protocol.

105. 105 Ankerstjernen said at 2:58 PM on November 25th, 2017:

I can already hear Skip Bayless screaming about this: “How can you expect this fine young man to play up to his full potential with a backup at right guard?”

106. 106 unhinged said at 5:44 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

For anybody who is interested, the Eagles feasting on the Cowboys is on Youtube…the whole game.

107. 107 dandynator said at 5:45 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

dink n dak

108. 108 SteveH said at 5:46 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Just got home, was listening to the game on the radio. I thought Tyrone Smith being back would fix Dak??? What’s happening? The Dallas offense just needed Smith and they were right back in it.

109. 109 Dave said at 5:59 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

110. 110 Dave said at 6:00 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I absolutely love the Raiders Christmas sweater commercial. I laugh every time.

111. 111 Masked Man said at 6:06 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Bolts and Boys both pretty bad teams at this point. LA has a chance to win in Dallas though. Finally a Bolts TD here. Should have let Rivers go for two!

112. 112 Dragon_Eagle said at 6:12 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Watching the Chargers red zone struggles all game (they should be up 24-0) makes me appreciate even more what Doug and Carson have accomplished.

113. 113 RC5000 said at 6:28 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

A Tale Of Two Teams

Eagles Rule!
    Cockroaches Suck!

114. 114 Masked Man said at 6:30 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Phil Rivers breaking the Dallas fans’ hearts on Thanksgiving in Dallas!

115. 115 RC5000 said at 6:51 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Love it, Allen beats the shit out of the Girls but could be a big miss on XP! 22-6.

116. 116 RC5000 said at 6:58 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

DAK pick 6!

117. 117 ColorSgt said at 6:58 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Wow that’s awesome. Stick a fork in them. They’re done!

118. 118 RC5000 said at 6:59 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Go for 2 Chargers dumb shits!

119. 119 Bert's Bells said at 7:00 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Bwhahahaha. DAAAAAAKKKK!

120. 120 ColorSgt said at 7:00 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

I hope dak is franchise qb for the next decade.

121. 121 RC5000 said at 7:01 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Dak can’t throw into tight windows and shouldn’t be trying to.

122. 122 kajomo said at 10:49 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Don’t discourage him. Let him keep trying

123. 123 Bert's Bells said at 7:01 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Quote of the year “Two weeks in a row you’re going against a team without a kicker and you still aren’t even in the game.”

124. 124 RC5000 said at 7:03 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Another pick!

125. 125 Howie Littlefinger said at 7:07 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

First time I have been able to enjoy TNF all season

126. 126 RC5000 said at 7:11 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Last playoff spot: Seattle should be 7-4 , they’re playing 49ers. Atlanta 6-4 has Bucs at home and 4 of 6 at home but kinda tough teams are left.

Dallas is 5-6.

127. 127 Dave said at 7:13 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Romo talking up the Cowboys going undefeated for the rest of the season and making the playoffs at 10-6. Huh?

128. 128 RC5000 said at 7:22 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Yeah, they’re gonna lose at least 2 to Washington and Oakland and Seattle.

129. 129 Bert's Bells said at 7:30 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

It’s part of the drill with all broadcasters. They’re coached to make it sound like every team has a shot. Unless it’s the Browns.

130. 130 Dave said at 7:13 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

131. 131 Dragon_Eagle said at 7:44 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Ahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!

132. 132 SteveH said at 7:23 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

EXTEND DAK NOW!

133. 133 Howie Littlefinger said at 10:50 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Dak don’t care. He makes soup money!!!

134. 134 TO BLACKS said at 7:25 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Wentz is a lot better than McNabb, but this team doesn’t have a TO or Dawkins.

135. 135 Dave said at 8:41 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

136. 136 meteorologist said at 12:21 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Lol

137. 137 RC5000 said at 10:45 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Byron Marshall tipped ball to Janoris Jenkins who runs it back for a TD. It wasn’t really his fault though. Cousins got his foot stuck and stumbled and threw it really high. One of those plays you don’t want to tip it up into the air though.

138. 138 kajomo said at 10:47 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Morgan Moses is either the NFL’s biggest baby or the toughest SOB out there. He gets hurt 2-4 times a game, but never misses a start

139. 139 RC5000 said at 11:05 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

The Redskins are idiots. 4th and 1 at Giants 39 . They send punting unit out. Change mind . Call timeout and then don’t get play in on time. They run to line. Too late. Dely of game. They punt anyway. LMAO.

140. 140 Dude said at 11:13 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

That was just awful to watch.

141. 141 ColorSgt said at 12:42 AM on November 24th, 2017:

A delay of game after a timeout is mind boggling.

142. 142 Dude said at 11:15 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Perine is playing well behind a patchwork offensive line. Cousins is doing well while dodging unblocked defenders.

143. 143 RC5000 said at 11:24 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

This game was really horrible and why did I even watch the 4th quarter?

144. 144 wee2424 said at 1:24 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Because you got to watch the Cowboys lose.

145. 145 RC5000 said at 12:52 PM on November 24th, 2017:

I was talking about the Giants/Redskins game which was ending at the time of my post haha.

146. 146 SteveH said at 11:47 PM on November 23rd, 2017:

Just my weekly reminder: Dak is trash and always has been, and Ima keep saying it until it’s commonly accepted wisdom.

147. 147 Dragon_Eagle said at 12:13 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Shut up you haters. Dak is already just as good as Tony Romo at the 4th quarter melt down.

148. 148 Insomniac said at 1:54 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Can’t melt down if you’re always losing by the second half.

149. 149 wee2424 said at 1:23 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Lol @ cowboys.

150. 150 Eagles4life said at 1:27 AM on November 24th, 2017:

So every time Mills wags his fingers, the Philly curse gets broken and it seems to spell the curse on the other side! Seems Lady Luck is favoring us this year and we just need to continue this trend till February 😉

151. 151 GermanEagle said at 7:43 AM on November 24th, 2017:

***Philly advise needed***

There’s a pretty good chance that I will be in Philly on the 10th of December.

What’s the best place to watch an (away) Eagles game?

Also is the xfinity sports bar complex right by the stadium open to show the Eagles vs Rams game?

GE

152. 152 or____ said at 8:45 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Xfinity definitely open for all games, period. Best place depends heavily on what you are looking for.

153. 153 GermanEagle said at 8:52 AM on November 24th, 2017:

A cool place with nice beers and a wild Eagles crowd maybe?

154. 154 or____ said at 9:16 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Someone else might be better able to advise you. But it might be difficult. You’re looking for a good out of town place, but in town. Serious fans go to the game or watch at home. And the good beer bars tend to not be sports focussed.

Xfinity does have the Victory bar, but I tend to hate it there. You will get the wild crowd though

155. 155 GermanEagle said at 10:10 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Thanks mate.

I’ve been to the Xfinity bar after an Eagles game.

What about going to Chickie Petes?

156. 156 or____ said at 10:34 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Here’s what I’ll say about Chickie and Pete’s, they have TV’s.

Food, service, and beer is atrocious

157. 157 daveH said at 11:53 AM on November 24th, 2017:

What about the Field House in Center City? I was hating the place when we walked in but came away Liking it .. it’s kind of bland and bleak and dark interior but big and spacious w good beer selection
    McGillin’s Olde Ale House .. is that place classic and historic? ? Down an alley way and he’d get his cool beer

158. 158 Stephen E. said at 12:51 PM on November 24th, 2017:

C&P also steals their employees’ tips.

159. 159 CrackSammich said at 11:28 AM on November 24th, 2017:

These days, the bars that *don’t* have a craft beer list are in the extreme minority. That said, those few bars are probably the more fun ones to watch the fame.

160. 160 GermanEagle said at 8:53 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Can the Eagles/Rams game still be flexed to Sunday night?

161. 161 Bert's Bells said at 9:03 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Nope. They already have 5 primetime appearances.

The week 17 game against the Cowboys can, though. Teams can make 6th primetime appearance to get flexed into week 17.

162. 162 DJH said at 9:12 AM on November 24th, 2017:

So the consensus seems to be that Wentz and the Offense was struggling in the first half after the 1st drive even before Wentz took the shots to the head. So what was the deal? I think it was 5 3-and-outs in a row. Not good.

Was Dallas doing something to confuse Carson? I haven’t seen any analysis of this.

However, someone on Twitters suggested that we came out running in the 2nd half–because Wentz was struggling–and we never looked back. I don’t need Wentz to be Brady or Rodgers right now. I am fine with us being a run-first team. In fact I like it. I think that is when Wentz (and many QBs) is at his best. Pound the ball, and let Carson make a killer throw or scramble 2-3 times per drive. And he’s been money in the RZ, whether we’re running or passing.

In the playoffs, I imagine teams will scheme to take the run away and put it all on Carson’s arm. I think that is the poison teams will pick. But can a team shut down our run game? And even if they do, can Wentz and the receiving gang still move the ball and put up points?

163. 163 Dave said at 9:27 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Throwing on first and 2nd down vs running hurt. Wentz was in a little funk after the first drive and his accuracy was not good. Two well-thrown balls were dropped, which would have resulted in first downs (Ags and Torrey). A dropped TD by Ags hurt. The ball was not perfectly thrown, but it was catchable as it clanked off both of Ags hands.

164. 164 Bert's Bells said at 9:33 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Yup, Wentz wasn’t great but he wasn’t getting any help from the receivers either.

165. 165 FairOaks said at 10:41 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Wentz flat-out missed a couple open guys on passes. There were also 2-3 drops on accurate throws. You get a couple of those plays and we get several more first downs, and maybe get on more of a rhythm. We did have one decent drive mixed in there, but Elliott missed the FG (after which they realized he was concussed). Quick flashback to 2016 to remember how much drops can hurt.

I imagine Dallas was also covering guys a bit better than expected.

166. 166 mtn_green said at 2:12 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Love to see an analysis. Seemed like wentz didn’t like coverage. Maybe a disguise.

Could just be as simple as a couple missed throws and a couple dropped passes.

Think announcer said at one point he was 1-11 on throws.

167. 167 P_P_K said at 9:53 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Today is definitely Black Friday for Cowboys & Giants. I’m lovin’ it.

168. 168 wee2424 said at 11:28 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Lmao. Large amounts of Dallas fans wanting Dak to get benched in favor of Cooper Rush.

That is a cool ass QB name though. The QB I had in HS was named Storm Miller. I dont know which one is better, Cooper Rush or Storm Miller.

169. 169 MattE said at 11:47 AM on November 24th, 2017:

Shane Falco

170. 170 Stephen E. said at 12:52 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Pillsbury Throwboy

171. 171 Dragon_Eagle said at 3:09 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Ron Mexico

172. 172 daveH said at 4:01 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Christian Hosoi

173. 173 ColorSgt said at 3:12 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Storm Rush

174. 174 wee2424 said at 11:35 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Lol. The sad part about the QB at my high-school (CB South) was that his dad (sported a horrible handle bar mustache) was also the QB coach.

Ironically Storm was straight garbage at throwing the ball. Wasn’t a leader by any means because he was just a deutsch of a person.

His dad was so hard on him just blatantly embarrassing him in front of team and opponent practice and game non stop. You could tell that his father was probably an alchy and was attempting to live his glory days through his son who was consistently not delivering.

The HC was a squid of a man and wouldn’t control or even attempt to control the situation. It was obvious that he was intimidated by the brash personality in which he himself sported a very quiet fearing type persona.

There were times in which I would start to feel bad, but then he would quickly remind me that he was a Deutsche and that feeling of empathy would disappear.

Yeah… Anytime I hear a cool QB name that always comes to mind.

175. 175 CrackSammich said at 2:44 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Howie deserves a medal for the 2012 draft. Out of 9 picks, 3 are still on the team, 3 were traded for assets, and another was traded for assets AND is still on the team.

1. Cox
    2. Kendricks
    2. Curry
    3. Foles (Bradford + 5th = Foles + 4th + 2nd)
    4. Boykin (traded for 5th rounder)
    5. Dennis Kelly (traded straight up for DGB)
    6. Marvin McNutt (BUST)
    6. Brandon Washington (BUST)
    7. Bryce Brown (4th + swap of 7ths)

176. 176 Dragon_Eagle said at 3:10 PM on November 24th, 2017:

How many are still in the league?

177. 177 Bert's Bells said at 3:27 PM on November 24th, 2017:

The first 6 (66%). That’s really good considering this was 5 years ago.

178. 178 CrackSammich said at 5:04 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Looking at some of those trade trees is getting me through this shift right now. Like, did you know that some of the draft capital from the McNabb trade was directly used to get Bradford? And that we still have a pick stemming from that that trade that haven’t been selected yet?

-McNabb traded to Washington for a 2010 2nd (Nate Allen) and a 2011 4th.
    -We traded back with the pick to pick up Tampa’s 2011 4th (Casey Matthews) and their 2012 4th.
    -That pick was then used in the Demeco Ryans trade. We traded our 3rd*** and 4th for their 3rd (Nick Foles) and Demeco.
    -In 2015, traded Foles + 2015 4th + 2016 2nd for Bradford and a 2015 5th (which was subsequently traded to Miami as part of our trade up to get Rowe, and the 5th we got back was used to select Jacorey Shepard. Rowe was traded in 2016 for a 2018 4th)

McNabb + 2012 4th + 2015 2nd, 3rd, 5th + 2016 2nd = Nate Allen + Casey Matthews + Foles + Demeco Ryans + Bradford + Eric Rowe (now a 2018 4th) + JaCorey Shepard

You can also make the argument that the Bradford trade was used to recuperate the picks in the Wentz trade and so the McNabb trade led to Wentz, but that one doesn’t have a direct lineage.

***Fun Fact: Texans used this pick was used to draft our current G Brandon Brooks.

179. 179 CrackSammich said at 5:08 PM on November 24th, 2017:

Here’s another. Did you know the Kolb trade is protecting Wentz right now?

-2011, Kolb traded to Cardinals for a 2nd and DRC
    -2012, we traded back with this pick for Green Bay’s 2nd (Vinny Curry) and 5th (Brandon Boykin)
    -2015, we traded Boykin for Pittsburgh’s 2016 5th (Vaitai)

Kolb = DRC + Curry + the best years of Boykin + Vaitai

180. 180 unhinged said at 4:35 PM on November 24th, 2017:

The Rams travelled to Minnesota and the Vikings laid 24 points on them. This week they host New Orleans, and I expect LA defense to be stingier. Then NO hosts Carolina next week. I think NO loses one of those games.

181. 181 dval437 said at 9:26 AM on November 25th, 2017:

Read your articles all the time but man, did you miss on this one. The biggest difference between 2004’s team and this team? The QB of course and it isn’t even close. TO made Donovan so much better even though he missed games at the end. Disappointed that you and many others love to blame him for the bad locker room atmosphere but a passive-aggressive, narcissistic control freak (McNabb) is much more poisonous than an outsized ego (TO). Why do you think leaders like Trotter seemingly took TO’s side. Wentz is and will continue to be better and more consistent in all phases of the game than McNabb ever was.