Offensive Coordinator Update

Posted: February 19th, 2018 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 121 Comments »

My guess was that Doug Pederson would bring in an outsider to be the offensive coordinator in 2018. It sounds like Pederson has other ideas.

Normally I’m not a fan of splitting duties like that, but this could work with the Eagles. Doug Pederson is the play-caller and he mixed things up last year. Frank Reich was in charge of the 2-minute offense. John DeFilippo was in charge of the Red Zone offense. Jeff Stoutland basically ran the ground attack. Pederson is a believer in using all of his resources and knows how to make that work.

We’ll see what happens.

LeGarrette Blount has won Super Bowls each of the past two years. I’m guessing money will be a key issue for the free agent RB when it comes to choosing a team. He seems to like the Eagles quite a bit and had great things to say about Duce Staley. You really get the feeling they have a good relationship.

The Eagles might have serious interest in bringing Blount back, but the trick is making it work financially. He made $1.25M in 2017. You know he wants more than that this time around, but the RB market might be a problem for him and other free agents. There is another strong class of draft prospects and teams are showing they can win big without spending big at RB.

The Eagles line of thinking could be affected by the absence of a 2nd and 3rd round pick. If there are areas they want to add depth, they have to choose very carefully now. This might be a case where you bring Blount back for one more year and then address RB next year. That would also give you a chance to see just how good Jay Ajayi and Corey Clement can be.

It is also possible the team slow-plays this. They could see what happens with the draft and UDFAs and then decided whether to bring back Blount or add some other veteran RB. You could have some talented veterans looking for work in May and June.

Darren Sproles could also be a factor in the situation. Wendell Smallwood probably won’t. Sproles made $4M last year. If he comes back, it won’t be for anything close to that. I’m sure the coaches have some interest, but I just don’t see how it makes a lot of sense with his age and injury situation. Smallwood was a major disappointment in 2017, but he is cheap and young. And versatile. That gives him some value.

The Eagles are high on Sudfeld.

I’m just not sure if they think he’s ready to play in key games if Wentz is hurt. They love him as a long term player, but is he ready now?

The coaches got Wentz ready to start in a very short time. Sudfeld doesn’t have anywhere close to the same level of talent as Wentz, but he’s been with the team since September and did get playing time in the season finale. It is possible he could be ready to be the backup in 2018.

121 Comments on “Offensive Coordinator Update”

1. 1 GENETiC-FREAK said at 3:19 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Time to step up Sudfield. Had enough time sitting on that bench to learn.

2. 2 Guy Media said at 3:21 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Correction; STUDfeld

3. 3 Philadelphian said at 5:04 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I don’t think it’s a question of him stepping up, but lack of experience. If the Eagles didn’t see the need to immediately pursue another Super Bowl they wouldn’t worry about an experienced veteran (Foles) being available if Wentz isn’t ready. However, if they are serious about repeating, they can’t afford the risk of losing one or two games because their backup lacked experience.

4. 4 meteorologist said at 3:32 PM on February 19th, 2018:

10:32 “Oooh.” – Patrick Chung. LOL

5. 5 Buge Halls said at 3:34 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I still like the idea of moving Duce to the offensive “quality control” job. This will let him get more of a grasp on planning an offense but not put him in a position to fail by promoting him too soon in his career.

6. 6 Bert's Bells said at 4:01 PM on February 19th, 2018:

QC is a lower rung -traditionally -than RB coach. If he gets added responsibility it’ll come with an “assistant OC” title.

7. 7 Fufina said at 6:03 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Problem Duce has is little to no passing game experience. Most coaches go through 2-5 years as ‘quality control’ and ‘assistant’ coaches, where there job is to grind film 365 days a year of the league, and allows you to really learn and experience different schemes and match ups.

Personally i think Duce should go take a big college OC job, or a college HC job, where the run game is more important, his name and cache can help improve recruitment and he can develop some more passing game experience.

Come back to the NFL in 3-4 years as a Head coach, or OC.

8. 8 D3FB said at 9:48 PM on February 20th, 2018:

That’s a demotion, but sure since you don’t know what coaches actually do…

9. 9 Buge Halls said at 9:48 AM on February 21st, 2018:

Another stupid report from the self-inflated moron who thinks he knows how the NFL works because he plays Madden seasons in his parents’ basement. Posting multi-paragraph posts in comment sections of other peoples’ blogs doesn’t make you an expert. But go ahead and think it does – it’s cute.

Just a heads up, a QC job is not a demotion over any position coach job. The QC position works hand in hand with the HC to design the game plan while the position coach, well, he coaches that position.

10. 10 D3FB said at 7:00 PM on February 21st, 2018:

A QC is basically a fucking intern. They grind tape 80% of the day. They are responsible for alot of the grunt work of self scouting and opponent prep. If QC is a higher title than position coach then why the fuck do QCs get promoted to position coach?

But again I only played college football and have had actual conversations with former scouts about how things actually work. I understand every aspect from salary cap, locker room, schematic philosophy, career paths for both the front office and coaching staff. Literally any aspect of the game I can make you look like a dumb twat on.

So go ahead and shove it up your ass.

11. 11 Buge Halls said at 1:43 PM on February 22nd, 2018:

You really have no clue what you’re talking about. Another child I need to block

12. 12 DJH said at 4:19 PM on February 19th, 2018:

My only concern w/ bringing Foles back would be any pressure it might put on Wentz. Having a SB MVP as your backup could be a bit unnerving. However, it’s very possible that Wentz wouldn’t be affected by it at all, even if he struggles a bit and/or gets asked about it constantly by Eagles beat writers.

I go back and forth on whether the above is an important variable in all of this or insignificant.

Does Foles want to start somewhere and make more $$$?
    Does Howie want picks or Foles more?
    How is Wentz’ recovery really going?
    Is Sudfeld ready to be a “good enough” backup?

13. 13 unhinged said at 5:43 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Foles actually said that it was critical to his growth, from the Raiders game to the Vikings rout, that 11 was on the sideline, in his ear, viewing play pics together and keeping him on message. I doubt that he’s the slightest bit threatening to Wentz’s ego. Both of these players have been shown red carpet, kid glove treatment by the Eagles, and Wentz isn’t ever going to forget what the Eagles paid to get him.

14. 14 or____ said at 8:48 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Are we talking about the same Carson Wentz?

15. 15 DJH said at 10:08 PM on February 19th, 2018:

He has certainly proven to be mentally tough, but he’s also human, and will be a 25 yo, 3rd year quarterback coming off a major injury.

16. 16 or____ said at 10:43 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Ok. Doesn’t change anything for me.

17. 17 DustyRyder71 said at 1:09 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Everything we heard from Foles in his post-Supe media blitz tells me he wants another shot at being a franchise QB. He’s thoroughly enjoyed being The Man and would rather not go back to the bench.

All he has to do is think back to March 2017 to remind himself how dramatically things can change in one year. If he wants that chance, he needs to capitalize right now.

The Eagles need draft capital. Foles needs to take advantage of his newfound superstardom. And somewhere, some team needs a Super Bowl MVP to be the face of their franchise. I think the odds of Foles staying put are exceedingly low.

18. 18 Gary Barnes said at 4:27 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I think this is part of a process to find a OC that fits best. They have likely scouted the options and have their initial targets. They’ll start with the internal ones first and external ones next. We may not hear about everyone they talk to or bring in for interviews, but they’ll take their time and pursue a comprehensive list of people like they have before.

For me the much bigger questions and issue focus on the D and ST.

For ST, I’m ok with Elliott, but I’d still bring in competition since kickers’ performances can vary widely year-to-year. Same with Jones whose performance appeared to slide this season and needs competition. Our punt & kickoff returners need to be upgraded. Those need to be a credible threat.

For the D, I think Schwartz needs to tweak his scheme to better defend the methods the Giants & Pats used to roll up huge offense against us. He has got to find answers because other teams are going to try it again in 2018 until we stop it effectively. I also see LB and S need attention and decisions on players like Allen, Jernigan and Curry are going to be interesting.

19. 19 or____ said at 4:37 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Yards shmards. Win games. Everyone is so obsessed with don’t bend don’t break.

20. 20 Gary Barnes said at 5:18 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Uhhh…..they broke plenty unfortunately.

Pats scored 33 pts and made our defense look like a high school crew. If our offense does not dominate, we lose the SB.

Giants scored 24 and 29 against us again making us look really bad. If again our offense did not score 27 and 34 in those games, we lose.

21. 21 or____ said at 5:38 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I’m sorry, when people discount the bottom line, i just can’t…

22. 22 GENETiC-FREAK said at 5:42 PM on February 19th, 2018:

The thing is when focusing on just the bottom line there is no reason for improvement. Win a bodybuilding comp, Rugby/League comp, Football whatever if you think there needs to be no improvement then you are perfect. Which never is the case. You always identify weaknesses and how to strengthen those weaknesses no matter the success. Thats how you keep getting better.

23. 23 Insomniac said at 5:51 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Yea I will never get that approach of “we won so what”. Complacency is why most teams can’t repeat success. Teams can go from 3-13 to 10-6 or better (and vice versa) in one year these days so that approach is just asinine to me.

24. 24 GENETiC-FREAK said at 5:55 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Yip right on. Complacency is for people/teams aiming for 2nd place. But i get the sense from Pederson this culture has changed and they are not going to settle for what they are now.

25. 25 or____ said at 5:59 PM on February 19th, 2018:

It’s not my/our job to improve. The team pays people handsomely to self scout and improve. In my view, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

26. 26 GENETiC-FREAK said at 6:10 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Hey that cool not your job or our job to improve this team. Benefit of the doubt will get you no where fast. Not my style to not improve. Hoping its not Pederson and the Eagles style too. Strive to be better than yesterday. If you dont we will end up being like the Cowgirls talking about how many SB rings they won back in the days. SB is over. Its time for these men to get back to work.

27. 27 or____ said at 8:48 PM on February 19th, 2018:

No it aint. It will be time for them to get back to work (other than Howie, Doug, Joe Douglass et all… months from now. And they will. I trust them. Including Schwartz/Undlin etc…

28. 28 Gary Barnes said at 6:39 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Who is discounting the bottom line? No one, stop with the straw man arguments.

The defense got exposed in the games vs the Giants and Pats and the Eagles should be doing everything possible to make sure they find answers so we do not get exposed again. The NFL is a copycat league and other teams will try the same approach until we prove we can stop it consistently.

29. 29 or____ said at 8:46 PM on February 19th, 2018:

If we get exposed 100 times more and win 90 of them, shut up.

30. 30 Gary Barnes said at 6:34 AM on February 20th, 2018:

lol oh ok wtf

31. 31 or____ said at 5:50 PM on February 19th, 2018:

We won the superbowl and you are basically saying yeah but…

32. 32 Gary Barnes said at 6:35 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Again we only won the SB because our offense was absolutely dominant. Teams that give up 33 pts usually lose. The Pats and Giants exposed the flaws in our defense and only a total moron would not work to fix flaws.

33. 33 or____ said at 8:46 PM on February 19th, 2018:

We “only” won the superbowl because (anything other than cheating)…

SORRY – you sounded ridiculous so I stopped listening/reading.

34. 34 Greg Tulino said at 4:58 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Decisions on Jernigan? They just extended him a few months ago. We are stuck with him for a while.

35. 35 Philadelphian said at 5:08 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Let’s hope that Jernigan’s problem was injury and sickness related.

36. 36 or____ said at 8:44 PM on February 19th, 2018:

“Jernigan’s problem” – I’m laughing. See my post above. I’m serious.

37. 37 Philadelphian said at 12:58 AM on February 20th, 2018:

I’m not sure where you are coming from with Jernigan, but a major reason for my concern was the belief by Raven personnel that Jernigan quit on them during the 2016 season.

If Jernigan’s play with the Eagles during the first part of the season wasn’t lights out, I doubt if anyone would have thought of his Baltimore experience. However, because Jernigan played so well, the comparison to Benny Logan was emphasized early on and it wasn’t even close. Where Logan was thought to be strong against the run, but weak in pass rushing, Jernigan not only did well against the run, but was so good in putting pressure on the QB that teams had to think twice before doubling Cox.

It was around the time Jernigan was playing so well that the Eagles decided to give him an extension. At about the same time Jernigan was reported to be injured. It seems at about the same time Jernigan’s performance started to tail off, especially in his ability to rush the QB. Now the cause of the slow down may very well be that Jernigan has been playing hurt, but at the same time it’s fair to question if there was something else going on.

The bottom line is I want to believe that Jernigan’s health was the reason for his lesser performance and next year should be a good indicator whether that was true.

38. 38 or____ said at 3:20 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Fair enough. I hear you.

Personally i try to avoid media narratives. Dude played worse since injury. To me that’s it.

39. 39 Gary Barnes said at 5:20 PM on February 19th, 2018:

“stuck with him” hopefully is not a prediction lol

40. 40 Dave said at 4:59 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I agree with everything you wrote but am a little confused with the Jernigan comment. He is 26 and signed a 4-year contract extension.

We were spoiled having Westbrook/DeSean/Sproles as a game-changin PR for the past decade. I’d live to see us draft an electric KR/PR.

41. 41 Gary Barnes said at 5:12 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Jernigan’s drop off in performance after getting paid is concerning to me – could be injury related, but we need more consistent performance for that money. I’m not advocating getting rid of him, but I would hope they find out what happened and work with him to be better. We need that DL to be dominant.

42. 42 Dave said at 5:21 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I know he injured his ankle in June and again in November. I agree he was not nearly the player he was hyped to be.

43. 43 Gary Barnes said at 5:22 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I did not know that, thanks. Hopefully, it was injury related and he can be better next season

44. 44 Insomniac said at 5:45 PM on February 19th, 2018:

He was for the first half, pretty much anchored the middle when Cox was injured.

45. 45 or____ said at 8:44 PM on February 19th, 2018:

F hype. I feel like Fletch and Jenkings, and BG, and Bradham, and Hicks, and Schwartz, and Dawkins – yeah I said it, would be like…. pshhhh….this fan don’t get it.

Totally not singling you out. I mean this to anyone that questions Jernigan – and/or the secondary.

Yeah, I’m for real about this.

Oh, and Kelce, he want’s to punch you guys about this.

Just my honest thoughts.

46. 46 Philadelphian said at 5:07 PM on February 19th, 2018:

At least I’m not the only one concerned about Jernigan and the defense in general.

47. 47 Insomniac said at 5:46 PM on February 19th, 2018:

We really need speed at the safety position. McLeod is not good or fast enough to cover guys reliably.

48. 48 Dave said at 6:07 PM on February 19th, 2018:

McLeod’s 2 years in Philly are nothing like I expected. His Rams highlight reel is full of big hits, exactly the opposite of what we have seen since he arrived. I can’t help but think it’s the coaching.

I know Jenkins lobbied to have Undlin stay when Chip was fired, but defensive backfield is definitely the Achilles heel of this team. I’m not sure I trust him with Sidney’s development.

49. 49 Insomniac said at 6:25 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I’ve been saying that he’s been making business decision safter he got his contract but coaching is probably more rational.

I’m ok with Undlin, he has shown that he can improve guys but it’s a small sample size so far with just Mills. Sidney’s development is probably going to be related to how he returns from his injury.

50. 50 Dave said at 6:59 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I’ll admit I never thought his play being a business decision.

When he came to Philly, much was written and said that both he and Jenkins could play free or strong safety. However, since day 1 it seems McLeod has been playing deep centerfield.

I think QBs have no fear of him making a play on the ball in the air as he has shown little ability to do so.

If Schwartz is hell bent on playing Mills ahead of developing Rasul, I’d at least like to see Rasul in dime playing the safety role. That dude has some ball skills.

51. 51 Anders said at 5:27 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Mills was better than Rasul this year. Long term Rasul has more upside as on outside CB.

I hope Mills take the Corey Graham route and becomes this 3rd safety in big nickle

52. 52 BlindChow said at 8:32 AM on February 20th, 2018:

I agree with everything except the “other teams are going to try it” thing. Other teams had all year after the first Giants game to try it, yet didn’t. The Falcons and Vikings didn’t, and those were playoff games (one with the new Giants head coach…).

Every year one team “shows the blueprint” for beating various other teams. Most of the time it’s a one-off (just look at how we built up huge yardage against the #1 defenses* of the Broncos and Vikings this year. Not every team is built to attack the same way.

Anyways, I think the solution for those Giants and Patriots situations is to end the 10-yard cushion that’s been haunting us since the Billy Davis years. Tighten that up when you give up 300 yards in one half, man!

*both were ranked #1 when we played them

53. 53 Dave said at 4:54 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Off-Topic, but the doesn’t the US Olympic curling team member look like a younger, skinny Andy Reid?

54. 54 or____ said at 5:36 PM on February 19th, 2018:

The not Will Farrel guy in taladega nights

55. 55 or____ said at 8:41 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Haha, him and his sister are like “shake and bake”.

56. 56 Dragon_Eagle said at 8:29 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Gotta put the stone in a position to succeed. Time’s yours.

57. 57 Philadelphian said at 4:59 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I think sharing the responsibility is a good idea because both men will have an opportunity to develop as an OC. Also, I will be surprised if even though Pederson gave Staley and Groh more responsibility that he wouldn’t still bring in others from outside the organization because it’s obvious that Doug values many voices in developing a successful game plan.

58. 58 Dave said at 5:01 PM on February 19th, 2018:

What confuses me is that Stoutland plans the running game now. A promotion for Duce would mean a demotion for Stoutland.

59. 59 or____ said at 5:35 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I feel like thats not necessarily the only way it works.

60. 60 Masked Man said at 6:10 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Titles and Dollars are one thing. Authority and Responsibility are different. I think there’s lots of ways to get all that done too.

Duce did a great job this year with all new receivers – Clement, Blount and Ajayi’s mid season addition. He deserves a raise anyway.

Groh did a great job with new receivers Jeffery, T. Smith and Hollins, and with the amazing turnaround with Agholor. He deserves a raise anyway.

So both those guys deserve a raise and increased responsibility in some ways anyway.

61. 61 or____ said at 8:40 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Yeah, I’m vehemently against either or as a thing. Generally specking.

62. 62 Philadelphian said at 6:25 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Good point, but since they value Stoutland, I’ll be surprised if they don’t work something out.

63. 63 GENETiC-FREAK said at 5:02 PM on February 19th, 2018:

My answer to our KR/PR. Late rounder too im hoping.

64. 64 Dave said at 5:07 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Rutgers has a history of great specials teams play, going back to the Schiano days.

65. 65 Guy Media said at 7:53 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Rutger blah blah blah; we got stuck with LJ Smith.

66. 66 DustyRyder71 said at 12:48 AM on February 20th, 2018:

It wasn’t like we picked Little John over Jason Witten or anything.

67. 67 Masked Man said at 6:05 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Looks sharp. Apparently Grant is not invited to the NFL Combine.

68. 68 GENETiC-FREAK said at 6:06 PM on February 19th, 2018:

UDFA hmmm.. I still throw a late rounder at him to secure him. Think he didnt get invited coz of injuries this year.

69. 69 Guy Media said at 7:52 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Absolutely a need.

70. 70 or____ said at 8:33 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Oh yes.

71. 71 Anders said at 5:23 AM on February 20th, 2018:

We really need a guy to take over as PR. KR in todays NFL is joke (you are often better of just taking the touchback)

72. 72 Masked Man said at 5:58 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Phillies Manager Gabe Kapler invited Kelce to speak at Spring Training?

Bold! Think I like him.

73. 73 Philadelphian said at 6:29 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I think Mike Francesa should be invited along with him. Then, we can have Francesa taking batting practice with Kelce pitching.

74. 74 unhinged said at 6:03 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Okay this is a season encapsulated in a mini-doc. Awesome.

75. 75 DJH said at 8:29 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Good stuff! Looking back, for me, the Agholor deep ball with the juke and backward fall into the end zone was the moment when I was like, holy shit, this team is something. It was almost like that moment by Ags reflected what the whole team was thinking/feeling.

Thanks for sharing!

76. 76 Insomniac said at 6:17 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Blount is testing FA again. So long Blount, hope you finally get a decent contract but you’re always welcomed back here.

77. 77 or____ said at 8:27 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Uh, I believe you have decided far more than he has at this point. And that’s also true about the Eagles.

78. 78 wee2424 said at 1:03 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Truly wish him the best, but yeah, he isn’t going to get that contract.

79. 79 Guy Media said at 8:00 PM on February 19th, 2018:

#teamGroh

80. 80 Dragon_Eagle said at 8:24 PM on February 19th, 2018:

#teamDuce

81. 81 or____ said at 8:27 PM on February 19th, 2018:

team your both wrong for being only ok with one of the options.

#alsofuckhashtags

82. 82 Guy Media said at 8:28 PM on February 19th, 2018:

For the record, I’m good with multiple non-Duce options. But if forced to choose one………..

83. 83 Dragon_Eagle said at 8:35 PM on February 19th, 2018:

For the record, I picked #teamDuce because Guy Media didn’t.

84. 84 truehaynes said at 5:32 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Media mike

85. 85 or____ said at 8:38 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Now I’m rooting for Duce to get it so you get to be proven wrong but have to eat it at the same time because the Eagles succeed, and you’re definitely an ultra legit fan. I don’t organically root for Barner or Gerry either… but I end up rooting for them extra hard. I want you to be proven wrong so many times over, and us both to be happy.

You’re weird man but I love you.

86. 86 or____ said at 8:52 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Why you anti Duce? If he gets it, and he defers to Doug as appropriate, defers to Groh as appropriate and consults other passing offense minds as appropriate, and we succeed – well – why are you so sure that can’t happen? Your mind is closed. WHY?

87. 87 Guy Media said at 8:58 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Because that’s how sports fandom works.

88. 88 or____ said at 9:06 PM on February 19th, 2018:

For you maybe. It certainly doesn’t have to be.

89. 89 or____ said at 8:39 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Also, I’m probably a bit team groh to be honest. Haha

90. 90 Dragon_Eagle said at 8:57 PM on February 19th, 2018:

On a more serious note about the OC position and the choice of Duce, Groh, or combine them into a super OC (Do we call that option Duh or Groce?)

OK. that wasn’t the serious point, but it made me smile. Here is the point:

There’s more to being a coordinator than knowing how to game plan, i.e. knowing the Xs and Os. Leadership is, IMO, equally if not more important. Exhibit A: Sean McDermott’s first stint as DC. Guy knew his stuff then but struggled to lead and wound up in shouting matches with respected players on the sideline. Not good. Exhibit B: Doug Pederson was the most unqualified coach in the NFL 12 months ago. But he’s got leadership in spades. That worked out well I hear. Exhibit C: Chip “Emotional Intelligence of dead dung beetle” Kelly.

My point? On paper it sure seems Groh has the experience, pedigree edge. But players, IIRC, love playing for Duce. Blount just commented on that recently. This matters. A lot. Do not discount it. I have no idea about Groh there. Certainly, the WR corps was far better (understatement) and the turn around in Agholor was one of the biggest surprises of the season. Maybe the players love him, too. But Duce has demonstrated this feature repeatedly and under 3 different coaches.

91. 91 Guy Media said at 8:59 PM on February 19th, 2018:

But Duce was kept here over Ricky Watters, so poop on Duce.

92. 92 Dragon_Eagle said at 9:00 PM on February 19th, 2018:

That really did make me LOL.

93. 93 Guy Media said at 9:04 PM on February 19th, 2018:

In all honesty, it seems like Duce runs a great RB room.

94. 94 Masked Man said at 9:47 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I’m for the best person to help Doug research the passing game data he needs every week – formations and plays, self-scouting reports, team scouting reports, situational game plans.

It’s all the passing game stuff needed to replace Frank Reich’s role. And the best person available? That’s not Duce.

The best person is an outsider like Darrell Bevell or a development guy inside like Mike Groh also working with Press Taylor.

But the team can’t just overlook Duce after 7 years and go only to Groh who has been here only 1 year.

Both guys need to be rewarded for great work during the Super Bowl winning season. Doug can work it out so everybody is given some increase in responsibility.

95. 95 RC5000 said at 10:06 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Groh can still do all that as passing game coordinator if they promoted Duce to OC. Or they could make Duce assistnt head coach and Groh OC or passing game coordinator.

I don’t think it matters for what they end up doing for Doug. It’s just titles.

96. 96 Masked Man said at 10:09 PM on February 19th, 2018:

Then you would have the run game coming up through Stoutland. And you would have the passing game coming up through Groh.

And it would all be going AROUND DUCE as the OC and up to the head coach. That’s a bad org chart design.

Duce would be a figurehead. All title and no real responsibility.

Seems like Duce has mainly been teaching RB’s the plays and keeping them in their roles and motivated. He hasn’t been game planning at all though.

97. 97 RC5000 said at 11:21 PM on February 19th, 2018:

I believe Tommy has said Stoutland is the running game coordinator. You don’t demote someone after you won a Super Bowl. If he’s really not, then you can obviously make Duce the running game coordinator.

You know this – Duce would be a figurehead. All title and no real responsibility – how?

Btw, Joe Vitt was Sean Payton’s assistant head coach and became interim head coach when Payton was suspended.

Apparently, Flip was red zone coach but that was not part of his title. So titles don’t mean they can’t have “real responsibility”.

You said this below- both those guys deserve a raise and increased responsibility in some way or another anyway.

So I’m not sure I exactly understand what your issue is with my comments.

98. 98 Masked Man said at 1:09 AM on February 20th, 2018:

My issue is… I want experienced passing game guys doing the passing game work.

I don’t want a popularity contest placing a guy with no critical experience in a key job like that. It’s not smart to run your organization that way.

It worked perfectly last year with Pederson, Reich, Flip and Groh – passing game guys – working on the passing game stuff.

I don’t want to put Duce Staley in the middle of that now. He’s never done that kind of work before.

As much as I like him, I don’t want Duce in over his head. And I don’t want Doug paying attention to the extra stuff just to promote a guy due to his popularity with the fans.

99. 99 RC5000 said at 11:05 AM on February 20th, 2018:

That isn’t what we were discussing. You’re all over the place. When you figure out what you want to do with Duce reply.You just keep saying what you don’t want to do with him yet you said he deserves more responsibility.

100. 100 ColorSgt said at 9:50 PM on February 19th, 2018:

McDermott following JJ was a set up for failure. No one could replace him especially someone so young. It doesn’t take away from your point, but the sudden loss of one of the greatest defensive coordinators was a bad situation all around. I can see Peds splitting the responsibility between the two where Duce handles the run game and Groh focused on the passing game. I don’t think that’s the worst idea when Doug’s calling the game.

101. 101 Masked Man said at 1:21 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Juan Castillo was Andy Reid’s Offensive Line Coach and a trusted assistant coach. He was promoted to defensive coordinator for the Eagles from February 2, 2011 to October 16, 2012 when he was fired.

Andy had to fire the guy that he liked and trusted so much. It was a bad fit. It didn’t even last half the season. Then at the end of the season, Andy was fired.

Giving Castillo the DC job was a disaster. Juan didn’t have the experience in his background and he didn’t know what he was doing. So it didn’t work.

That’s why I don’t want to make Duce the Eagles OC.

He needs to go and gain some experience at the college level where the stakes are not as high and the system is not as complicated.

102. 102 Bert's Bells said at 7:22 AM on February 20th, 2018:

If AR ran the defense the way Doug runs the offense, it might have turned out better for Juan. If Stoutland is a Washburn, a guy like Duce might not stand a chance.

103. 103 Anders said at 7:28 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Stoutland and Duce are already corroborating about the run game with Stoutland scheming up the run game

104. 104 Bert's Bells said at 7:57 AM on February 20th, 2018:

That wasn’t really the point.

105. 105 daveH said at 7:55 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Wher is JC now ? …googling him

106. 106 Bert's Bells said at 7:58 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Last I remember was with the Ravens on their SB run (Harbaugh connection).

EDIT: Google say Bill’s OL coach. More AR tree.

107. 107 FairOaks said at 8:01 AM on February 20th, 2018:

Bills OL coach

108. 108 FairOaks said at 8:01 AM on February 20th, 2018:

OCs usually come from offensive position coaches. Probably WR/QBs coach more often, but RBs coach is not unheard of. Also, this is an OC position under an offensive HC who calls the plays, so there is a lot less riding on this position than many OC jobs. We aren’t talking about *defensive coordinator* here like Castillo, so there isn’t much parallel in my mind. It’s possible that Staley needs to be involved more in game planning, and may need a better understanding of a full offense, but only Pederson would really know that.

109. 109 kajomo said at 9:04 AM on February 20th, 2018:

How can you possibly know if Duce is ready or not. You have no clue what he is like in that building. All we know is the eagles seem to value him and his players rave about him.

I personally don’t want to hand him to OC position because I see an opportunity to develop 2 coaches at once by splitting the duties. However, I am not going to question DP. He has earned the trust of this fan base.

Also the Juan Castillo comparison is ridiculous. OL coach to DC is a much different jump than RB coach to OC.

110. 110 CrackSammich said at 6:27 AM on February 21st, 2018:

This would only be an apt comparison if we were talking about promoting Duce to *defensive* coordinator.

111. 111 Anders said at 5:21 AM on February 20th, 2018:

In the draft, what would people rather have (if both are graded the same), the best DT or the best LB?

For me its DT because how we rotate them, how expensive they are, because we always seems to play with only 2 LBs and as long as we have Jim Schwartz, we have a LB whisperer who can manufacture production out of the LB position

112. 112 Tdoteaglefan said at 5:33 AM on February 20th, 2018:

I know that the best DT is more valuable in our scheme but i’ve been dying for a intimidating stud linebacker for years…hopefully hicks can stay healthy and be that presence for us, but his inability to stay healthy and our depth at that position (especially if bradham leaves) concerns me

113. 113 Anders said at 6:09 AM on February 20th, 2018:

I agree and if one of the stud LBs drop and the DTs fly of the board, I take the LB.

The Eagles really should hope 5 QBs go in the 1st round with 3 RBs and a few WRs.

114. 114 RC5000 said at 10:24 AM on February 20th, 2018:

We need an ILB a little bit more. Not only is Hicks injured a lot but so is Joe Walker but I would probably go with DT all equal for the reasons you mention. But not just any DT because Qualls flashed potential and they like Vaeao.

Still if you can get a premium potential DT that would help us maintain our edge on the DL.

My ideal would be to trade down and get Taven Bryan and either Leighton Vander Esch or Darius Leonard (ILB/OLB) but that might be a dream. Vander Esch and Bryan are basically one year starters so maybe they go a little lower.

All three are fits in our system. Bryan can play some 4-3 DE too so that versatility helps our depth and if we move on from Curry, Bryan might help at DE against the run.

DE Duke Ejiofor is another player I like. He could replace Curry as a 6-3, 275 lb. end and he has an assortment of pass rush moves. We can’t rule out DE again with Curry a potential casualty . We need cap room!

115. 115 D3FB said at 9:42 PM on February 20th, 2018:

DT

116. 116 Patrick said at 6:12 AM on February 20th, 2018:

One of the things Blount has made me think about a lot, is how much I like him. The way he acts, speaks and leads in his own way. I see him as a tremendous value to the locker room, and he seems like a fun dude and a pretty good guy. I’d love to bring back Blount Force, but its not gonna happen.

Yet this is the guy who sucker punched someone in college after already having been punished by his own team for breaking team rules and missing workouts etc. thus going undrafted.

Goes to the NFL and punches a teammate in his first camp, goes to a new team and causes some issues that gets him traded to the Pats despite being good. Goes to Pitt and immediately get in trouble for weed with Bell and apparently had numerous disciplinary issues with the Steelers, which gets him sent back to the Pats.

Maybe Belichicks discipline was the deciding factor, maybe Blount just grew up as he got older, but it gets me thinking in these draft seasons, that the whole character issue that gets thrown around is a super complicated situationen. Not to makes this a shit on Chip Kelly thing, but the whole character issue and you’re off the draft board is obviously an oversimplification of an issue that’ll cost your team both good players and good people.

117. 117 Masked Man said at 6:46 AM on February 20th, 2018:

To me, Blount seems like the best #4 paid receiver you could possibly have on the team. He’s cheap! Why lose a guy like that?

He leads the pack. Big plays when you need him most. Tough as nails.

His downside is he doesn’t play special teams I understand. But he brings a lot of intangibles.

I like him a lot. Hope he stays another year.

Ajayi, Blount and Clement were a great combination. Let’s do it again!

118. 118 A_T_G said at 6:25 PM on February 20th, 2018:

I never connected all the incidents like that before. Holy hell, how many millions did this guy cost himself by making bad decisions?

119. 119 Eagles News: LeSean McCoy thinks Philadelphia should promote Duce Staley to offensive coordinator - ReportEyes said at 8:31 AM on February 20th, 2018:

[…] Offensive Coordinator Update – Iggles BlitzThe Eagles love Duce Staley and I’m sure they would have some interest in giving him a promotion. As I written before, there is just the question of whether he is ready to help build gameplans. That’s something he hasn’t done in the past. Staley has helped with the process, but hasn’t been a primary architect. Groh has only been with the team a year, but he did an amazing job with the WRs. Peter King wrote a great piece on the game-winning TD in the Super Bowl. Groh played a key role in designing the play. He was an OC at the University of Virginia from 2006-2008 so Groh has a background in building gameplans and calling plays. He has a thorough understanding of the passing game through playing and coaching QBs, as well as coaching WRs at the college and pro level. […]

120. 120 YUGE said at 3:34 PM on February 20th, 2018:

THE EAGLES SAID NO TO THE NIGGER DUCE

121. 121 A_T_G said at 6:34 PM on February 20th, 2018:

I just saw that assistant HC was added to Duce’s title. That should help him expand his resume and give him a shot when Groh takes over as the Cowboy HC in a year or two.