Eagles Select S Jaiquawn Jarrett

Posted: April 29th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 7 Comments »

Love the player, but I’m not thrilled with the value.  Again.  Jarrett is a guy I liked all year.  I just didn’t have him rated as someone to go at 54.  Or anywhere close.  Figured he was late 3rd or 4th at earliest.  Here is something I wrote on him previously.

Jaiquawn Jarrett – Temple 6’0, 198

Jarrett spent his college years at The Linc and could play there on Sundays.  He has the build of a free safety, but the skills of a strong safety.  Jarrett is a very good hitter and tackler.  He’s very good in the box.  Jarrett can make coverage plays (nine career interceptions and 18 pass break-ups).  He’s better in zone coverage than man.  Jarrett is very experienced and was very productive in his career (299 total tackles).  I think he could be an outstanding special teams player initially.  Defense is a different story.  I’m not sure he has the coverage skills to play on defense right away.  Jarrett is a mid-round prospect.

Here is a link to his stats:  http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2010&org=690&player=5

We needed help at Safety.  Jarrett is more of a SS than a FS in the NFL.  He’s got the experience to challenge for a starting spot pretty quickly.  Also should be a terrific STer.

7 Comments on “Eagles Select S Jaiquawn Jarrett”

1. 1 ian no 2 said at 8:16 PM on April 29th, 2011:

The experience angle suggests Mikell less likely to return.

I like Harris at CB and Coleman at FS more than Lindley at CB and Jarrett at SS. They may of course have some sort of deal worked out for a CB.

The discussion of Andy picking a LB 2nd (Martez Wilson) was a fun exercise too.

2. 2 Mroton said at 9:01 PM on April 29th, 2011:

How about that – Brandon Harris was sitting on the board at this spot.

If they fail to sign a big name free agent such as Amomugha or, say, Jonathan Joseph, then someone is definitely getting fired for this draft, imho.

3. 3 PPK said at 9:08 PM on April 29th, 2011:

I hope the kid proves me wrong, but I don’t like the pick this early. Since this probably means that Q is gone, there’s a real chance it could be Jarrett and Allen as safetys. That’s a mighty young deep backfield.

4. 4 PPK said at 9:16 PM on April 29th, 2011:

Mroton — I agree. I’ve got to believe that the fo must have something on deck for a rcb via free agency or a trade. Otherwise, I can’t figure out why they wouldn’t have taken Harris.

5. 5 PK said at 9:30 PM on April 29th, 2011:

I think Harris was considered more of a nickle corner and we already have Joselio Hanson doing a pretty good job there…

6. 6 The Reddgie said at 10:28 PM on April 29th, 2011:

Tommy, can you please explain what the coaching staff is looking for in both safety positions? And how a prospect’s respective strengths would lead him to be a more natural fit at one position over the other? I have been reading how both positions are almost interchangable at this point in the NFL. Yet, every prospect seems to be projected into being a SS or a FS, but barely being both.

Thanks, and have a great day! The Reddgie

7. 7 Sam said at 11:44 PM on April 29th, 2011:

I actually kind of like the Jarrett pick. As Tommy mentioned on twitter, safeties seem prone to big deviations from where you’d think they’d be taken. I like that Jarrett is regarded as smart; I like that he is a big hitter, because our secondary could use a little intimidation. Seems good enough in coverage to be a strong safety. And since teams don’t seem to pound the ball anymore, I’m less worried about his frame holding up at that position than I would have been 10 years ago.

Was he second round value? Not in a typical draft. But this draft seems pretty thin. If you think a guy is good, this draft isn’t deep enough to be cute and let guys slide, hoping to get them later. The Eagles may be wrong about his talent, sure, but that’s part of the game.