Final day in Mobile. So sad. But there is plenty to talk about.
Lazor was credited with helping to develop Foles during his record-setting second season, but the two occasionally butted heads over the coach’s intensity, according to a source familiar with the relationship.
That’s interesting info. Sounds like Lazor must have been a perfectionist and tough taskmaster. I’m glad to hear that. He might have worn on Foles a bit, but I’d rather have a coach be too tough on a young guy than too soft.
* * * * *
Roseman said that going through the 2013 season helped make him “feel even more confident in what our coaches want, what they’re looking for,” and that Kelly and the coaches have a better feel for how players on the roster do or don’t fit into what they’re trying to do.
Last year was awkward. Kelly was new to the NFL. Several on his staff were new as well. They had to figure out how to tell the personnel staff which players to target and what they were looking for. The process should go smoother this year.
Les has a couple of good nuggets in there.
* * * * *
McLane wrote about the Eagles search for OLBs. Ideally, they’d find 2 OLBs who could rush, cover and play the run. Ideally.
“You’d love to double up on those guys,” Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said Tuesday during Senior Bowl workouts. “That’s the ideal scenario. You’d like to have guys that are really versatile and really good at everything they do. Hard-to-find guys that have all three of those skill sets.”
“It’s hard to find explosive guys who can win with power, with speed, with length, with athleticism,” Roseman said. “And they go very quickly on draft day. They go very quickly in free agency. It’s not an easy thing to find.”
It is going to be really interesting to see what the Eagles do at OLB this year. We’re all still learning what the Eagles want and what kind of compromises they’ll make.
* * * * *
You guys have a ton of questions about the Eagles and the draft. Some I’ll answer in the form of a post in the coming days. A couple of real quick thoughts…
* I’m not writing a ton about offensive prospects since I’m focused on defense. I haven’t watched the RBs very much at all.
* Dee Ford is a major mystery player. I’ll cover him in a post. So good…but is he big enough for Chip?
* Daniel McCullers may be of interest, but better not be early. I don’t mind Chip going for size, but gentle giants scare me.
* Van Noy as OLB? I don’t see him as an explosive rusher. I don’t think he could consistently beat LTs in the NFL. I like the guy for the Jack LB spot, but that’s not a priority the way the rush LB spot is to me.
* I’ll write about the trip and how things happen in Mobile. Couple of good stories to share.
* Is this a deep class? Overall, yes. Tons of underclassmen make the difference. The Senior Bowl roster isn’t great, but the overall class is pretty darn good.