It is the final Friday of the regular season. I’m used to the Eagles battling for a better playoff seed or sitting some starters to get ready for the postseason. Not this year. The team is 7-8 and there will be no playoffs. 2011 sucks, to put it bluntly.
Just because I don’t constantly wallow in misery (Fire Juan! DJax is a bum! Andy Reid is a fat loser! Etc.) doesn’t mean that I’m anything other than depressed by this season. My expectations were through the roof. I knew Juan Castillo would have ups and downs, but Michael Vick and the offense were going to be a juggernaut.
Well, I was right about Castillo, but wrong on Vick and the offense. There was no juggernaut unit on this team. The offense, defense, and STs all took turns making us wish the lockout hadn’t ended. Heck, I’m pretty sure De Smith, Roger Goodell, and the female judge could all tackle better than Jarrad Page.
So now we’re about ready to wrap things up. We’re going to put a bow on 2011, a turd of a season. We host the Skins on Sunday with virtually nothing on the line. So, what am I looking for?
* My fantasy is that we finally break through and get a shutout. So close last week, but no cigar.
* I will be cheering for a win. I know it hurts our draft position, but as some fan said here a while back…I just can’t cheer against the Eagles. That’s not in my DNA. I want to see the team win. That said, I can immediately rationalize the benefits of a loss so whatever happens on Sunday will be okay with me.
* Do I want the defense to stay hot? I don’t honestly know. I really wish this game was against a good offense. I’d love to know if we really turned the corner or if the team is just enjoying a hot streak. A good showing will further complicate the Castillo Conundrum. If Sexy Rexy lights us up for 350 and 28 points, it is a lot easier to flick the switch on the ejection seat.
* Shady wants the rushing title. That would be great except he’s 128 yards behind MJD. Catching him would be crazy.
* I would love to see us have a nice lead and then get some snaps for Mike Kafka and Dion Lewis.
* I will watch Jaiquawn Jarrett closely. He’s starting at SS and it will be interesting to see what he can do. He’s already got a game under his belt. This game won’t define him, but it could offer some hints as to what to expect in 2012.
* We have 49 sacks on the year. I’d love to see us get up to 54, but will be happy if we just get to 50.
* I’d love to see a LB (aside from Jamar Chaney) come up with an INT. Brian Rolle came close last week.
* Let’s keep getting the ball to Brent Celek. He’s been great in the last 10 or so games.
* Derek Landri. Enough said.
That’s all I’ve got.
What’s the feeling with you guys? I assume most people want the win. What else are you hoping for?
* * * * *
Enough depression. I stumbled on this not long ago and it’s great. SI.com has up a gallery of Reggie White photos from UT, the USFL, PHI, and GB. I absolutely love the pic of him and Buddy. That’s about as big a smile as you’ll ever see from Buddy Ryan.
Without Reggie & Buddy, I’m not an Eagles fan. I might be cheering for the Carolina Panthers or something like that. Barf. Thank god for Reggie & Buddy. Yeah, we haven’t won a SB, but being an Eagles fan means something and not all teams can say that.