It sure is a lot more fun when the Eagles play well, huh? They certainly did look good on Thursday night. That said, we cannot ignore just how bad the Steelers looked. Was Mike Tomlin coaching that team or Mike McMahon? Yikes.
Quick thoughts on the game
* Nick Foles was erratic early, but then seemed to get into rhythm. Played well overall.
* Welcome back, Jeremy Maclin. That was his best showing since the 2012 season. He didn’t do anything great, but had a good game. I was encouraged to see him block well and also work the middle of the field.
* Goodbye Jeremy Maclin. Or so it seemed for a moment. He went down awkwardly in the 1st quarter and all of us were scared. Luckily, Maclin was able to come back to the game and he’s just fine.
* The OL had another good outing. RT Allen Barbre struggled in pass pro early, but it looked like he settled down after that.
* The defense eliminated many of the mistakes they’ve been making and suddenly they look worlds better. Also helped to have Nolan Carroll in place of Curtis Marsh.
* Beau Allen got time with the starters and looked good.
* Mychal Kendricks was terrific. He flew around the field and made tackles. He blitzed on one play and forced an INT.
* I have no idea what to make of Chris Polk vs Matt Tucker vs Henry Josey. Polk has the most experience and is the most versatile. Tucker has looked the best this summer. Josey is the most explosive of the group.
* Travis Long played a lot of snaps at ILB. The Eagles want to know if he can handle both ILB and OLB. That would give him a boost in his quest to make the roster.
* Vinny Curry and Brandon Graham played well. Graham beat the LT for a strip sack.
* LT Andrew Gardner and LG Matt Tobin had another good game. Remember when OL depth was a major concern?
* WR B.J. Cunningham had a terrific TD catch wiped out by a penalty.
* TE Trey Burton flashed. Definite PS candidate.
* OG Michael Bamiro is playing like he’s ready to get on with his post-football life. Ugh.
* Alex Henery had better depth on his kickoffs. And then he missed a chip shot FG. Ugh.
* The Steelers were just 17-58 on the ground. The Eagles were 35-182-3. The Eagles were more talented, but also seemed like they were the more physical team.
* Mark Sanchez had another strong outing. There shouldn’t be any questions about backup QB.
All in all, it was a good night.